Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 4 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 14,451 through 14,500 (of 28,011 total)

• Thin, I had my browser open so long, your post arrived while I was composing! …I too have had an overnight of Airbnb pain! We’ve got an Airbnb behind us and at 1:30 am I was startled awake by heavy whams of doof beats and blares coming through the walls and mattress accompanied by the inebriated yips and hoots of young male voices revving up on the Airbnb house balcony.

Mr. M who is a night owl and often stays up into the wee hours of the morning, said that the party had started at 11:30 pm. He said he was just about to retire when the music was suddenly cranked up to full blast and when he saw that it had awakened me, he had a melt down. He knows how difficult it is for me to sleep and got very protective and started nervously putting his shoes on to rush out the door to get them to stop! I calmed him down, explaining that worst case scenario for all we know these guys could be on ICE and I reminded him of the injuries sustained by first responders and hospital staff who attempt to help ICE users, let along confronting one! He replied, ‘Well, if I’m injured, they’ll just have to live with the aftermath of what they’ve done!’ I pleaded ‘So would I!’ I calmly offered another option and suggested that I could call the police. Usually Mr M does his best to talk me out of this, since he regards it as not the ‘done thing’! Surprisingly he supported the idea and about 45 minutes after our call, everything suddenly went quiet and I thankfully fell asleep afterwards, though that took at least a couple hour chunk of quality sleep out of my night and we too slept in till 10 am this morning!

Our neighboring Airbnb is owned by someone in their late twenties or early thirties. He rents out two rooms in the house and often parties with guests. Thankfully this is only the second time this has happened in 6 months, though I have no hesitation calling the police again, especially given the owner would have been part of the equation. I grew up in California and there it was the done thing to call the police for neighbor partying noise into the night. I remember from very young seeing police arrive to break up out of hand events in peoples’ homes, so makes calling the police almost second nature, though I understand I now live in a completely different culture!

Last post for today, I promise…

Cinque, I meant to also write that I personally haven’t found inulin to necessarily help me sleep. My current bout of sleeplessness is related to restless leg syndrome, so maybe inulin just doesn’t help with that type!? Anyway, hope you are getting some quality sleep!

HašŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ @thinatlast I can confirm I donā€™t work for the local council, nor am I your Airbnb-ing neighbour. Phew. Yes, hanging onto things is an issue, and yes I was always taught that I might need something one day.

@ljoyce soooo interesting about those noodles, never heard of them. I helped ā€˜cut-inā€™ the painting on the gutters and boy did that hurt the next day!

@califdreamer those last few posts of yours sound exactly like me! Freaky, I could have copied them and put my name to it. Even down to the fact that my husband has just left to buy another TV set-top-box because our is broken and we know thereā€™s another one somewhere in the house but donā€™t know where šŸ˜’. ( we searched through all the old cords and mobile phones but to no avail.) also did a wfd d then fd but had average results, not great like yours – well done. I think my issue is that I donā€™t weigh things and my guestimations are off. Today I started weighing. Gosh to be in the 60s or 50s is my dream. Iā€™m getting a touch concerned with the metabolism comment though, are you thinking that those who fast for too many days in a row slow down on weight loss?

Thanks @cinque 3 game is a good idea. Itā€™s both a hoarding issue (of memories, and of things I might need again or clothes I might wear again)

Thanks @charlotterose I think I was the op for the hoarding issue. Think Iā€™ll keep the hubby for now, heā€™s pretty good value at present šŸ˜€ but definitely need to weed out the crap. Is it rude to ask what a relocatable is? Is it on wheels, or stumps that make it relocatable? We have this huge interest here recently in tiny houses.

Had to laugh last night. My son Texted to say gf was coming over. Well, my daughter and I have never moved so fast in all our lives. Neither of us are ā€˜cleanersā€™ and we are both messy – stuff everywhere. Hubby is the tidy one & he was out. We cleaned any room she may walk through I Record time, about 20 mins because we were so embarrassed with the place. We were in hysterics later, joking that he should just send fake texts all the time that sheā€™s coming over and the house would be spotless. I actually do not notice clutter, or even dirt, until a visitor comes, then I notice it everywhere.

Had 80mls almond milk, Maloica honey 1 tblspn and water in a smoothie for breakfast, will decide if itā€™s a fast day (after liquid fast day yesterday) later, when my arvo/ eve cravings kick in.

Cheers everyone…..

I empathise Minka. Your neighbour is a wally. I didn’t know that calling the police wasn’t the done thing. My only hesitation for not calling them would be that there could be more serious issues at stake for them – but I don’t think you need worry about that as they will prioritise. Of course, this often means they don’t show up until the problem has passed. In California, my first home was near the Mexican border in a pretty dodgy neighbourhood. I saw a man drag his screaming girlfriend down several steps by her hair but the police wouldn’t come because I couldn’t see a weapon. I quickly learned to say that there was a weapon involved – once that weapon was a hamster cage.

I really feel for first responders like those in Stay’s immediate family. The first time I had occasion to visit an ER in Perth, I was shocked to see a life size poster of a nurse with a statement that healthcare workers have a right not to receive abuse from patients. In decades of working in hospitals, including a head trauma unit, I’d never once been abused or heard of anyone receiving abuse and was gobsmacked to think that people trying to offer assistance without judgment would receive anything but extreme gratitude.

Did the news of nine foreign backpackers rushed to various emergency hospitals across Perth last week make it nationwide? This happened in a neighbouring suburb. A package of prescription drugs apparently arrived at a known doss house and the transient occupants thought it would be a good idea to take it, substance unknown at the time. Luckily for them, another house mate found them. They were all delirious, combative and confused when taken to hospital. Extensive medical bills to be covered by taxpayers since travel insurance doesn’t cover illicit activity.

Anyway, well done on the self-control issues described in your previous post. I hope you catch up on your sleep tonight.

EliC! Of all the helpful tips you received about cleaning up your office space, you lauded Cinque’s 3 Game as a good solution. Oh dear, I fear there’s little hope. Hilarious about the scramble to clean up when your son’s GF is on the way.

My friend’s mother is a chronic hoarder. Her parents recently bought the house next door which is a considerable downsize from the home they’ve lived in for about 50 years. My friend and her siblings have been going through her ‘stuff’ for months in preparation. Almost nothing was allowed to be pitched ‘just in case’. In the end, all they could do was box everything up, label it and, as one sibling remarked, ‘when they die, at least we’ll know what’s in the boxes and we can just pitch it then’. Come moving day, all the stuff was humped next door to the smaller house. But the cars won’t fit in the garage because the house is too small to fit all the crap. My friend seized on the council’s verge collection as an opportunity but, after she left, her mum brought it back in again ……

My niece and her husband have just left. I now have the blind installed in my bedroom and the curtain rod up in the spare bedroom. They also put up a wall bracket that holds 4 mops/brooms in the laundry and also the remote control bracket for my bathroom heater/exhaust fan – all jobs that require drilling into bricks that I’d been putting off. I keep wandering into rooms and jumping up and down because I’m happy that those little jobs are now done. My niece also gave me a bit of a talking to about asking for help sooner – I’m not good at that. I need to put up some trellising wires for climbing plants and they are going to come back and help me with that as I’m not confident about drilling through metal.

I must be the only lucky one when it comes to airbnb. My next door neighbour has one room that she lists (a financial necessity since she separated from her husband). But she only rents the room to single women or couples as she lives there too – she’s my age and not a partier. I never even know when she has guests as there is no noise.

The stories about the way first responders are treated also made me stop and think. It’s not something I see often – really only in emergency rooms when I used to be there with my father. I hadn’t realised just how dangerous it could be, I’d assumed that would be rare. They deserve so much respect for the job they do.

Minka I did just manage to get a box of turkish delight chocolates to walk out door – under the arm of my niece’s husband. My christmas stash is diminishing nicely without me being responsible for that.

Elic, I’m a bit the same about a mad rush to clean and tidy when I know someone’s coming, although I long ago gave up the idea that my home had to be as spotless and tidy as my mother’s home always was.

I have persevered with this mornings goal of working on the study. While my niece and her husband were drilling holes I was scraping back the the lumpy paint on the skirting boards in the study. It should only take a few days before I’m ready to paint this room. This is a small room and feels like a manageable place to start.

Time for a late lunch, a cup of tea then back to some more skirting boards scraping.

Minka, if my OH had gifted me with chocolates, I would have thanked him for the sweet gesture and then told him that Iā€™d eat one because I love chocolate so much, and then he would have to find a way to dispose of the rest because I donā€™t have the will power to not scarf down the rest in a single day (or sitting!) and I know he wouldnā€™t want to cause me the anxiety, weight gain and ill health effects of that happening, would he? If I went along with such a gift, heā€™d likely repeat it.
    That said, some years ago I had a box of candy that was a gift from a guest that I put in the freezer. I took out one piece per night, late, just before I went to bed, and ate it. It worked out pretty well for about half the box, more than a weeks worth. Then I got p#!&#d off about something or other one night and ate the whole other half within an hour. Often the freezer works for certain things. Until something sets me off, like not losing anything for a couple of weeks.

EliC, I bet most of us go through the ā€œmad dash cleaning spreeā€ ahead of unexpected guests or even expected ones. We have a few clutter areas like the big glass coffee table in the family room that always seems to collect newspapers, books and various odds and ends. And the kitchen desk. I used to try and get everything spotless before guests arrived. But one day I thought, ā€œDo I really want our friends to think we live like this all the time?ā€ šŸ˜ I mean, what would they think if they did show up unannounced some day? Now Iā€™m a little more relaxed about it. We pick up the big chunks. šŸ˜„

Besides electronic stuff, the other ā€œcollectibleā€ is boxes of tea. Weā€™re finally using up a lot of the tea, but at one point we could probably have opened up a tea room and run it for months with all the boxes of tea we had. Now I make sure weā€™re actually out of a tea before I buy another one. My tea memory can be pretty shallow. (And I mostly drink coffee.)

LJ, glad you got those blinds and curtains up. Drilling into brick or metal would be something Iā€™d put off as long as possible too.

Thin, your call to the police likely prevented ā€˜death by hamster cageā€™.šŸ˜² A dangerous weapon indeed!

Hi everyone
    You’ve all been so busy again, lots of enjoyable reading to get through. I can relate to so much of your posts: the mad rush as soon as I know someone will be visiting – the thing is, if I visit someone I never check for mess, dust, dirty dishes, etc I just enjoy the visit; the stock pile of many things hoarded over time – this year I’ve made a promise, & already started, to sort out boxes from when we moved house nearly 2 years ago; to sort out the filing cabinet; I’ve started sorting clothing, cupboards, etc BUT it’s taken a long time of procrastination to reach this point – I really need a decluttered simpler life; including being very serious this year in becoming the best ‘healthiest me’ I can be – I’m so tired of promising myself that its now finally happening.
    Today was a good FD – 496 cals (the second real fast day this year) Feels good to know it can be done when I put my mind to it – all your advice, encouragement & support has been the backbone of ‘the new me’ – thank you all!
    All the happening renovations sound amazing – lovely that others are able to assist & help make the jobs easier.
    I feel there should be very strict rules for airbnb accommodation – surrounding neighbours peace & quiet should be respected but, alas, usually is not the case – councils have a lot to answer for!
    Decided to buy 2 pairs of new eye wear: prescription sunglasses with reading section to wear in the car; & three graded levels for distance, computer & reading in the other pair – I now have early cataracts, astigmatism & diplopia – definitely signs showing my age but fixable – will have to go ‘rob a bank’ to pay for the glasses!
    Must go, not quite time for bed – will read some!
    All have an enjoyable Sunday & bye for now!

Calif your collecting tea hit a chord. I’ve lived in various parts of China, and now work with international students onshore and occasional consulting at Chinese universities offshore. Tea is their gift of choice when I finish a course or contract. I have enough Chinese tea to fill an entire shelf of my large pantry. My late mother had a saying ‘not for all the tea in China’ and I sometimes feel that’s close to what I have. And it is so so hard to finish a box. Glad I’m not the only one.

It is a beautiful Sunday morning here, but I am feeling not quite right, so I am not going to have my usual fast day today.

And so many posts, I might have to write more than one in response. Thus making even more šŸ˜‰

But first on the cleaning up issue. Thin, I used to be just like your husband, being completely sidetracked by cleaning up (unless visitors were about to arrive!) The most luxurious way of tidying and sorting.
    But it might be decades since I have been able to do it that way.

On bad days, I feel like I am trying to get things done with a haybale tied to my back. When I am doing the 3 game, ‘rearranging’ means something like moving the bag I’m putting opshop clothes in from the wardrobe I’ve just gone through, to the ironing pile I am going to go through next. Or moving the pile of filing from my desk over to the filing cabinet where I will file (three of them) next time.
    Sometimes, to make something ‘doable’ it has to be very small indeed.

Naturally I thought it lovely that Eli might try the 3 game. But even better was the news that she doesn’t need to use CharlotteRose’s Tip Number One and jettison her husband. šŸ™‚

Hi CharlotteRose! I do remember you from last year. It was a shocking year healthwise for me too. Fingers crossed this year is much better. And so lovely to hear of that granddaughter and great grandson to make it a special year. I do hope you get to cuddle them soon. Are they in Australia?
    (And glad you managed to jettison your rubbish hubby).
    Glad you are back 5:2ing, I hope you get a good run now.

Lindsay, I bet you have the most wonderful teas. My Chinese ex-neighbour gave me the most beautiful green tea I have ever tasted. I still have some left as I don’t have it very often. Lucky it lasts so well.
    I really do have sympathy for those of you with cupboards of the stuff, but Oh a good tea is a treat!

Now I am going to read through the posts again and see what I have missed… while drinking my lovely morning coffee.

Lindsay, Thankyou for the compliment, and how nice to have had all the food cooked for you for a while, and such lovely family time… but also lovely to get back home and back to 5:2. Double happiness!

CharlotteRose, sorry that health things are stopping you from exercising, although a morning swim is just a wonderful thing to do. You are in the club with Merry and me, and a couple of others who are forced by ill health to be terribly sedentary, but still finding that 5:2 works brilliantly!

Thin, I do so hope you won’t have to keep complaining about the noise next door, even if it stays an airbnb. I guess all those bedrooms make it a party house but hopefully, now Christmas and New Year are done, the parties are over. And even more hopefully it will stop being an airbnb in a few days!

I have a feeling the spinach was added to chickpeas, but I can’t remember!
    Aren’t spinach and legumes a wonderful combo.

I think I did hear about those backpackers, but only a quick mention. Weren’t they lucky to all survive. I know it is tempting to think they should get the Darwin Awards, but it is a relief our health care can get them through their stupid choices and go on to live productive lives.

Yes, I am an optimist. šŸ™‚

Stay, cockatoos can be so loud! Plus, my littlest granddaughter has earned the name ‘little cockatoo’ because, presented with a plate of food, she will take one bite out of each thing and then leave it: just like a cocky in a fruit tree.
    But even with these antisocial characteristics, I do love them so much (and my ‘little cockatoo’ too ofcourse) šŸ˜‰
    Isn’t it so fascinating how each grandchild is different. So glad Miss 2 is loving her dolly pusher.
    And congratulations on that kombucha!

Cali, 1.8kg loss! Wowsers! That is a nice step!

Minka, good luck with those chocolates. Maybe it doesn’t make much difference whether you eat them all at once, or over a month or two. Infact, it is meant to be better for your teeth to eat them all in one shot. Is one way more enjoyable than the other?
    The only problem, is that eating them all might encourage Mr Minka to buy you another box. They might need to be a once a year thing.

So glad you have managed to post, even though you are back at your busy work. May your lovely list of words keep manifesting!

Thanks for the inulin info. A pity it isn’t a wonderful sleep bullet for everyone! But I am not doing too badly with sleep at the moment. (Touch wood and whistle). I had heard that magnesium helps with restless leg syndrome, but then read that doesn’t (my mum used to have them badly). I hope you can find a solution.

LJoyce, hooray for your niece and her husband. Lovely family. Good luck with the painting, I hope the room gets done quickly and easily: another thing for you to smile at!

Arelkade, just as well you saw that optometrist! I hope you get a wonderful deal on the glasses. Somehow!

Well, I am back at my own post, and finished my coffee. I wonder if another pot would make me feel better or worse?

Best wishes to everyone.

Happy sunday everyone. Today we are going out for a 3 year olds birthday lunch…..at McDonald’s…yuk !! Ive just googled the menu to see if there is anything remotely resembling food that i would be willing to consume. As you can guess i dont eat McDonald’s and dislike it with a passion. A chicken lettuce wrap looks like the best option….the lesser of all evils I think.

Funnily enough the mother of the child complaints continually about her inability to shed weight and how her 5 year old is becoming quite chubby and she doesn’t know why. Well…Friday night the family went to the pub for dinner and all chose fried food options, last night they had takeaway pizza and KFC and today McDonald’s for lunch….it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work this little mystery out does it.

Apologies for the rant but i just shake my head in dismay at people’s inability to connect bad food choices and weight gain.

Thank you Cinque, your posts saw me through my first A&C coffee of the day. Very enjoyable on both counts. I have been reflecting on how hard it would be to complete even simple tasks with a bale of hay strapped on. It reminds me of how easy it feels to run once you’ve removed the ankle weights you’ve been using for training. Most of us aren’t saddled with such a physical burden, rather it’s a mental obstacle to overcome in getting our spaces organised.

Yes, good to know that Eli doesn’t want to get rid of her OH just yet, especially as she’s virtually a newlywed I believe. I’m hanging on to mine for now too. Messy hoarder that he is, he does have a lot of very good qualities.

Stay, yesterday where I walked at the river, there were hundreds, maybe thousands, of white cockatoos going nuts as they flew en masse between trees. It was quite a spectacle and one I haven’t seen for some years as I suspect the local authorities do some culling due to complaints from residents down by the river. That kind of natural noise doesn’t offend me but I find humans can really be irritating!

Arel, enjoyed your post. Lenses cost a few cents to produce. The mark-up is daylight robbery. You might have read that we engage in dental tourism in Thailand. Sometimes we get our prescriptions for glasses filled overseas while we’re there. We get our prescription sunglasses sent from the USA where they’re less than half the price. But we’re loyal to a very good brand of aviators which are sky high in Australia.

I agree with CalifD, Minka, if you don’t want the chocolates, you have to train your DH not to buy them. He seems a very supportive and understanding gent so I’m sure he’d understand if you explain that you appreciate the thought but you’d like to make such gifts a thing of the past.

I’m back to my fasty Sundays after three weeks of Saturdays. Sunday feels right. Off to walk before the rain gets here. Are you on for today, LJ?

P.S. GDSA, maybe you could eat before you go and just have a McCoffee if they have it? DD has been in McD’s twice in her life. Both were for children’s birthday parties.

My last post before we head back to the mainland tonight. (We are on Stradbroke, stayingthin). It is beautiful here – amazing wildlife….although the mating koalas need to clean up their act. One lives in the tree outside our house. It looks so passive in the daytime, then turns into a randy wild beast at night. We watch the dolphins from the park at the end of the street, and the huge rays from the headland walk. The last of the family left late yesterday, so OH and I are revelling in the serenity…while missing them already. Little 4 year old slept in our room and it was special, having her crawl into our bed at daybreak, to chat about this and that.
    LJoyce you are so capable, doing so much of your renovation yourself. I sympathise, missing a blind in your bedroom overnight. We have ours down, while we wait for the painter, and it’s bright at 4.30am. We wake to our old moggie miaowing at the window (full length louvres opening on to the verandah where he sleeps). It’s been a race to get up and feed him, before he wakes the little one.
    Cinque, I love your 3 game. It would work for my Oh who is daunted by all the stuff and clutter that went downstairs when we finished our rebuild. He’s a writer and very creative, but no one could call him a practical man. I’ll suggest it to him.
    My office is chaotic too…when I am researching, I have stacks of papers everywhere, adding to the normal household bills and statements. When I finished my thesis 4 years ago, I tackled it by going into the room for no more than half an hour at a time, turning off the computer, and removing the chair so I had to stand to reorganise things. That worked, but It soon mounts up unfortunately, without a system.
    Thin your situation with the Airbnb is intolerable. Councils are quick enough to take our money, but can be very tardy responding to requests for service. Shame the police have to become involved, but much better than trying to tackle it directly. We have issues with a rental house in front of us, where tenants held parties late into the night, or came home from clubbing in the very early hours, sitting on their verandah and talking loudly (and always rubbish, like). The agents were reluctant to intervene, until a neighbour got the agent’s mobile phone number and called during the night if the party went late. We’ve heard of issues over here on the island too, where houses are rented through Airbnb and the tenants fill the house for weekend drinking parties.
    Wow I have rambled on today – but one last thought about jeans, for Cinque, thin and LJoyce.
    Jeans were never for me until I found a brand at a Rodney Clarke store. They are called Miracle jeans, and fit perfectly. I must have 15 pairs, in all sorts of colours. Denim, but with a light stretch, which makes them very comfortable. I get the slim leg variety but there are other kinds). Actually they are pretty much my winter wardrobe now, because I can wear them to work. After I left a corporate job I struggled with clothes….my ‘uniform’ for years had been suits and heels. Now I’m at a university, it’s jeans and boots. Still a uniform of sorts, but more comfortable, and so much less expensive.
    Have a good day all. Sorry for the waffle.

Just a quick response to Arel’s post about glasses, and the cost to have them done here. We travel often to Vietnam and have our scripts filled by a terrific optometrist in Saigon, for a quarter of the price. When we were leaving her store last year I think it was, there was a man sitting in the pavement, with a great pile of glasses cases branded with the logo of a well-known high end glasses store in Australia. There he was, sitting cross-legged, clipping the glass to fit the frames, then popping them in the cases. He was probably paid around $1 a pair, but no doubt the customer in Australia, who’d probably had to wait a week or more, would have been charged what? $200? Almost worth the airfare to have them done o/s.

Grr, my long post just disappeared so I have to start again!

Thin, yes Iā€™m definitely on for today, just one pot of tea so far. I have realised that although I claim not to have specific FDs thatā€™s not entirely true. I am very attached to fasting on Sundays, itā€™s the other fast day or days that I have no attachment to. I think I like the idea that Iā€™ve already done a FD and itā€™s only day one of the week. It makes it very easy to find one other FD in a normal week, or even two in a week where Iā€™m eating too much on NFDs and need to have 3 FDs to compensate.

GDSA, these can be tricky situations. Even when you can see the problem with someone elseā€™s eating habits it can be difficult to find a way to say something that wonā€™t offend. Unless Iā€™m asked directly for advice I usually settle for leading by example, which you will do today.

Cinque, yes it is nice to have family I can call on. I am appalling at asking for help ā€“ I always think that Iā€™ll be imposing and I hate asking people to spend weekend time helping me when I know they work all week. As I mentioned, my niece gave me a stern talking to yesterday about asking for help. She said I have family and I can rely on them. My mother was fiercely independent and wouldnā€™t ask for help and I think learned that lesson a little too well.

Cali, Cinque & Lindsay, I suspect you are all very aware of my addiction to tea. A day without tea feels like a punishment. But I am fussy, and Iā€™m not that fond of green tea. I do like a wide variety of black teas and some oolong teas and Iā€™ve become rather addicted to some of the flavoured black teas that T2 produce (especially those containing vanilla). Yesterday my niece noticed my wall of black cardboard boxes (there were 30-40, so they really did line a wall). These are the boxes that my T2 orders arrive packed in. They look like theyā€™d make nice storage boxes so I kept them all, accumulating ever more over several years, never quite finding a use for most of them but thinking that one might come along if I kept them long enough! My niece said she could use them so took the lot. I also sent home several elfa basket units with my niece as she wanted them I no longer need them. She also took the padded pelmet from my bedroom window that I no longer wanted and the matching fabric that Iā€™d bought to make curtains (and never quite got around to doing the sewing). Iā€™m not really eliminating clutter, just relocating it to other family members. Iā€™m not sure my nieceā€™s husband is going to want her to come here and help me if she keeps taking home my clutter!

Lindsay, where you are staying on Stradbroke Island sounds just lovely.
    Thanks for the compliment but Iā€™m really not that capable compared to what I used to be able to do. I renovated an art deco house almost single handed in my 20s, but couldnā€™t tackle that these days. Iā€™ve just chosen to take on a limited number of tasks that fit within my current capabilities. I need to pace myself and not do too much on one day of I really pay for it later. I should have remembered this yesterday. I moved boxed, dragged furniture, scraped and sanded woodwork and patched walls. The study now just needs a good wash with sugar soap and then Itā€™ll be ready for paint. Today Iā€™m just going to wash the walls and woodwork as Iā€™m sore, exhausted and congested from yesterdayā€™s efforts. I think that my lungs are reacting to the paint dust I breathed in from the electric sander.

I think I might have a second pot of tea before I start washing walls. I think I also need to go for an uphill walk today. My lower back has been aching a bit and I know walking on an incline can help.

Hope you all have a nice Sunday.

Lindsay that sounds a fantastic place and a wonderful spot to enjoy your family. It would be fun to have the little one climbing into your bed to impart their special brand of wisdom on a range of subjects. My OH is the opposite to yours; he’s not very creative but he can build or fix absolutely anything. Planes, cars, household appliances, if it comes apart, he knows how it works. When we extended our house, I designed everything and he built it so it has a lot of unique features. He always comes home from a trip to find a list of ‘honey do’s and the neighbours often have little (or large) jobs waiting for him too. So, he’s worth hanging on to.

Minka is a fan of those Rodney Clarke pants. I did have some Gordon Smith miracle pants and I suppose you would call them jeans so perhaps I do wear jeans after all. I passed through that size 14 stage so fast that I hardly got to wear them but they were very comfortable with that bit of stretch. Hard to find are white linen summer pants, size 10, full length without a pull cord tie. I want them to fit well at the waist and not be flying at half mast.

I agree with you and Arel that it is incumbent on any local council not to make zoning changes to accommodate one capitalist land owner at the expense of others’ amenity. Since our rates are based on rental potential, I fear the council will do what best fills their coffers and not worry about the changing face of our suburb. Four car loads left this morning, it took them about 90 minutes to get out the door. We have one peaceful night ahead and then the next lot arrive tomorrow.

LJ, I don’t consider the items you passed on to your niece to be clutter if she has a use for them. And anyway, it’s no longer your clutter, so job done! T2 had a rare sale last week so DD bought a few items for birthday gifts this year. The packaging is very attractive.

I thought we were getting rain but it feels quite oppressive at only 33C today. Maybe tonight if we’re lucky.

LJ and Eli, I think I will have konjac noodles in something for dinner as you both mentioned them. I have a block of the non-pond scum variety that needs using. I’m well within my happy weight range now (despite birthday cake in the mix last week) so hoping today’s FD will put me closer to CalifD and Minka’s weights.

Thin, I’ve never heard of rates being based on rental potential – is that unique to WA? In SA it’s based on the property value as determined by the state Lands Titles Office. Our water and sewage service fee and emergency services levy are also based on this value. Banks have also been known to use it as a basis for renegotiating mortgages so they don’t have to do a separate valuation.
    Konjac noodles do sound good, but I really don’t feel like cooking. I have some smoked chicken in the fridge which just needs slicing and leftover salad – broccolini, bean and asparagus salad in lemon, garlic & oil. That should take me about 2 minutes to dish up! I’m feeling pretty lethargic but I think I can manage that.

I have scrubbed the walls and woodwork in the study with sugar soap so it’s ready for paint now. I have a doctor’s appointment in the morning, so I’ll go and buy paint, rollers and drop sheets on the way home. I’m hoping to have all the painting finished in that room by the end of Wednesday. I figure if I do the spare bedroom next, then I’ll have 2 rooms decorated and ready to stage for sale. I can then use these rooms to temporarily store furniture and boxes from other rooms while I’m decorating the main rooms that I actually use daily.
    Thin – is it only the freezer that will stop paint setting on a roller or do you think the fridge would work? If I’m doing one room at a time that’s a lot of washing out rollers – it always seems to take forever to get the water to run clear.

Lindsay, that grunting koala at night! Such a noise! At least you know what it is. Extra scary if you don’t (memories of camping as a child).
    Also, I think it might be impossible to be researching AND tidy!

LJoyce, it is no easy thing to ask for help. A family tendency not to is just the start. It is hard not to be independent. Then you want to ask people in a way that allows them to say no, if they want to, and that is very hard as most people feel obliged to say yes. And then, if you have bitten the bullet, and worked up the courage, and managed to ask for help, and they do say no, that leaves you exhausted and still needing help. It is no wonder that most of us will do anything to avoid asking for help!
    I’m so glad they are going to do the drilling you need.

I think you are extremely productive too! And it sounds as if Thin is right and your relocated clutter has become nonclutter!

Thin, I bet your house is fabulous, what a great pair you and Mr Thin are! Enjoy your quiet night! With rain I hope.

Nice to think of everyone wearing miracle jeans!

I’ve had a gentle day. I think I will wait for Wednesday for my next fast. I have a family thing on Thursday (unless we cancel because of the heat). Lots of sensible eating in the meantime.

šŸ™‚

Cinque it’s good that you’ve had a gentle day and I hope you feel better than when it started. Fingers crossed for a fasty 800 cal day on Wednesday.

LJ, I don’t know if it’s unique to WA. It reads: “Rates on properties located in urban areas in WA are calculated using the gross rental value (GRV) method. A GRV is determined by the Valuer General in accordance with the Valuation of Land Act 1978 and is an assessment of the gross annual rent the property might reasonably be expected to realise if let on a tenancy.” However, it’s a load of nonsense because, when we bought our house it was a 2bd, 1ba California bungalow with an outhouse. The Valuer General had it recorded as a 3bd, 2ba house. We appealed against our rates assessment therefore but they simply adjusted the number of bedrooms and bathrooms leaving the rates the same. What a joke.

LJ, you are a hard worker. You have to put the paint roller in the freezer. I hope it doesn’t displace some hidden chocolate or dough in there. Are you sure you’ll want to leave this house once you’ve made it so perfect? Lucky new people who’ll be able to move right in with an established garden and everything all fixed up. How are the property prices faring in your area? I’m hoping for a turnaround this year in our area of Perth after being in the doldrums for 10 years.

It’s been sooo hot. Forecast 31C, then revised to 33C but it got to 36C or 37C. Not a drop of rain yet. There are some fires in the area and the sky is a really strange colour. It looks so eerie out there.

Thin, is your house in any danger from the fires? A couple years back there were fires not too far from here and I remember huge billowing clouds of smoke from about 15 to 20 miles away. I hope youā€™re safe where you are. I hope you get that rain.

LJoyce, youā€™re accomplishing so much this weekend! Iā€™m impressed. Are you sure youā€™re going to want to move when youā€™re all finished? Your wall of black boxes from T2 Tea made me go look at their website. They ship all over the world and have a few tea shops in the US. There is a tea on their website called Dandylightful that caught my eye. I like dandelion tea but itā€™s hard to find good ones. This one has coconut and cacao and chicory root (inulin?) I was thinking of ordering some but want to add one or two more since itā€™s probably shipping from the east coast. Which ones can you recommend? I like pretty much everything.

Cinque, your 3 things plan inspired me enough today that I ended up doing at least 3 things in our exercise room which has some equipment covered and blocked by boxes of ā€˜stuffā€™. I put all the silk flower bouquets that I store under the small set of stairs in there into clear plastic bags and organized them, threw out some things that Iā€™ll never use, and took an old receiver that was sitting in a box to the thrift store, along with a few other things that were ready to go but sitting in the garage. While I was there, I remembered that lovely dress you got at the op shop and went in to have a look. I ended up with a pair of Calvin Klein jeans that look almost new, plus another pair for $4 each. I also found a periwinkle blue windbreaker/rain jacket that I really liked and another fleecy type jacket. The whole thing came to $18.50. Such a deal! There were quite a few nice choices in the small sizes. So that was fun.

Lindsay, I lived with a cockatoo for 18-1/2 years. We used to have a saying, ā€œWhen Gilligan ainā€™t happy, ainā€™t nobody happy!ā€ He could scream louder than I can. We had him in a room that was pretty much birdproofed so he was always out of his cage unless he wanted to sit in it. We had a lot of manzanita branches hung for them to sit on. Unfortunately, we lost him to cancer 10 years ago. So I have a very soft spot for cockatoos. He used to stomp his foot on his perch when he was mad. Do they do that in the wild? Head feathers raised, sometimes wings spread, screaming and stomping. It was funny to watch.

Gday, I know a lot of people who eat terrible diets and canā€™t understand why they are overweight. I agree with thin that there isnā€™t really a tactful way to give advice unless they ask. Leading by example is about the best you can hope for.

Thin, we watched episodes 2 and 3 of season 2 of Outlanders tonight. There were a couple episodes toward the end of the first season that were pretty graphically violent, almost to the point of being hard to watch. Weā€™re still caught up in the story though.

Hi CalifD, glad you’re still enjoying Outlander but I just can’t remember where I was up to or what was going on – I see it’s on Netflix so will have to try and catch up. I watched a great movie last night with Anthony Hopkins called ‘Fracture’. Can you get that one or have you seen it? It’s a thriller but not scary, just mind games. I hope there’s a sequel.

What did Gilligan have to get angry about? Didn’t you let him watch his favourite shows? What funny behaviour! I love parrots screeching but, then again, I don’t have to live with it.

I feel lighter just reading the de-cluttering stories, however small. I equate clutter with depression – partly from watching the poor people on that Hoarder Next Door show but also because I had a close friend with a problem – not so much a hoarder as just very disorganised and untidy – you’d have to move piles of crap to find a place to sit. If you were invited to a meal, you’d usually have to clean the kitchen, do dishes and then help prepare it. I’d be relieved to get home. I was definitely one who liked to have the house spotless and tidy for guests but, now that I’ve been in some of my neighbours’ homes, I’m more relaxed especially as we all pop in and out a lot now! How cool that you got rid of some junk and found yourself some ‘new’ clothes that you love in the process.

I can’t really recommend any specific T2 teas. I love their shop which is all about clever marketing, pretty teapots and the ability to sample teas but a lot of their tea is way too sugary for me and I find it very expensive. I did buy DD a box of several of their different teas for Christmas along with some over-priced bath bombs from a shop she loves called ‘Lush’ because I wanted to get her into ‘relaxing’ mode for the short time she had off uni. One (tea) was called Gone Surfin’ but that’s all I can remember. LJ loves T2 and she can better advise you I’m sure. I like the way they serve some of their teas with soy milk in the shop and want to try that.

Thank you for your concern CalifD, no this is not a raging bushfire and we’re not in any danger. Apparently, several small parklands about 10 km away are burning. I do see fallen ash on the deck outside the office now though. The sky still looks a very weird yellow colour.

Oh, and there’s another easy peasy FD almost behind me. Looking forward to checking the scales tomorrow.

Hello Everyone,
    Thank you for your kind welcome. I am back at work now but try and dip into your rather fast moving thread from the Northern Hemisphere. With regard to clutter, I heard about Marie Kondo last year and proceeded to go through all of my clothes and fold them now using her method so that they are ‘on end’, so I can see exactly what is in each drawer when I open it. Her premise is also that if it does not give you joy, then get rid of it. That resulted in about 4 bags of clothes that no longer gave me any joy which I had been hanging onto. I have been working my way through the house and regularly either take stuff to the charity shops or put them on Freecycle. Last summer I cleared the contents of my cellar this way and it felt great that things I no longer used where valued by someone else, plus I had space and freedom from junk. There are Marie Kondo videas on youtube.
    One of my sons has depression and had moved back home last summer with the contents of a flat that he had shared with his GF. She left, so I helped him pack and move it into my small home. I have managed to store much of it out of sight and then bought storage for him and helped him organise his space. Living in order certainly helps mental health, I am sure.

Thanks for your post annette, I’m going to look into Marie Kondo’s storage suggestions. I hope your son starts feeling better soon.

CalifD, I just popped back to correct my earlier statement – apparently there is a 1000 hectare bush fire raging in the Perth hills about 35kms from here. That better explains the ash raining down on us. Suspicious circumstances.

Thin, thanks for the advice on the roller – there is freezer space because I’ve been slowly working my way through the frozen meals. I’m using the same colour in most rooms so washing the roller between coats and between rooms seems like madness. Having this option also makes it more likely that I’ll take a break when I should rather than pushing on to finish so I can wash the roller.

Cali, tea is such a personal thing so I’m nervous about making recommendations particularly as the example you’ve given is a tisane rather than a tea and I don’t use many tisanes. However here are my suggestions, they include flavoured black teas as that is what I know best and I have tried all of these:
    – Lamington – has a black tea base plus shaved coconut and cacao nibs. You can taste both the chocolate and coconut in the final brew but the flavours are mild. I like lots of milk in this one.
    – Hot Date Chai – the flavour is sticky date pudding in a cup of tea. It contains dates, cocoa nibs, black tea, sultanas, currants, cinnamon, cardamon, sunflower petals, chilli. The amount of chilli is small and you don’t notice it. Nice warming winter tea. This is a chai for people who think they don’t like chai.
    – Creamy Choc Chai – this is a spiced chai green tea with a mellow chocolately background flavour. It contains green tea, cocoa husk, ginger, cardamon seed, white choc pieces and dark choc pieces. I didn’t used to like chai until I tried this one – I think the reason I like it is the absence of star anise.
    – French Earl Grey. This is one of my absolutely favourite flavoured black teas and I have a pot every afternoon. This has less of the bergamot flavour than a traditional earl grey and more fruit flavour. It contains black tea, hibiscus, sunflower petals, rose petals, mallow flowers.
    – New York Breakfast tea. This is a flavoured black tea and tastes of pancakes with maple syrup and a hint of cinnamon.
    – Very Berry Fruitea tisane – this contains Hibiscus, rosehip, and freeze dried elderberries, blackberries, raspberries and strawberries. I love this as an iced tea (I actually have a jug of it in the fridge at the moment – I make it very weak and without sugar).
    – Gorgeous Geisha – this is a green tea, with freeze dried strawberries. It’s one of the few green teas I enjoy. The aroma is intensely strawberry, but as with all the teas, the flavour is mild.
    All of the flavours are mild and reminiscent of food flavours rather than being exactly the same.
    If these don’t appeal then you could try one of their mixed sampler packs. I’d suggest the more affordable packs of 10 of a specific type of tea. They have packs that contain 10 different green teas or 10 black teas or 10 herbal tisanes or 10 fruit tisanes. This helps you target the style you know you prefer. They also do samples of favourites (their best sellers). Sampler packs is an expensive way to buy tea but at least you don’t end up with a lot of one type of tea that you find you don’t like and it’s a useful way to find out what you like.
    I hope you find some things you enjoy – might be some FD options in there.

Hi thinatlast,
    He has depression for several years which is tough as he is 26, but he is much better at getting help and managing it. He makes sure that he eats well-lots of colourful meals and gets exercise. My role is to support and help him practically. I told him that I would be overwhelmed too, if my room looked the way his did, so we did it for half an hour at a time together and then I filled a black sack of what was just rubbish/recycling when he was at work but left it for him to see what was in there. Several bookcases and letter trays later, it looks lovely and now he knows were everything is. The key is to make it easy for people to do.

I also ask myself ‘do I love it, do I need it?’ That usually gets rid of loads too!

Your son is fortunate to have you supporting him annette. It sounds like the two of you are doing the very best that’s possible under the circumstances. I wish you both well.

LJ, it will indeed save a lot of time, paint and water. Just take it out about 20-30 minutes before needed depending on the temperature and it will be ready to go.

Annette, you sound like A very loving mom. I bet having organized surroundings went a long way in helping your son to feel more positive. A half hour at a time is manageable. I do that sometimes and actually set a timer. It was an old flylady tip.

Thin, fires in the the hills seem to spread more quickly. I hope they get it under control soon. Iā€™m glad itā€™s a good distance away from you. One nice thing about winter up here is that we usually donā€™t have to worry about fires because of all the rain. But itā€™s a concern all summer and fall.

LJoyce, thank you for your recommendations. I ordered the Hot Date Chai because I like spicy, sweet and cocoa, the Lamington because of the coconut and chocolate flavors, and the French Earl Grey because I had been looking at it before and now you mentioned that itā€™s your favorite. I ended up not ordering the dandelion tea because I see itā€™s a limited edition and may not be around if I decide I like it and want to order again. When I registered they sent a code for free shipping on the first order. (Did I just add to my tea collection? šŸ˜® Well, weā€™ve used up a lot of the older ones.šŸ˜‰)

My DS just sent me this link from a San Francisco news station. See, we have friendly wild birds here too! http://www.ktvu.com/news/bird-photobombs-mark-tamayos-weather-forecast-on-ktvu

Did that story on the erroneous ballistic missile warning in Hawaii make it to your news? I canā€™t even imagine how horrified most people must have felt. But there was one lady who was there on holiday, who tweeted in reply to her dadā€™s anxious tweet that she had been at breakfast when it occurred and most people ran from the line at the buffet, so there was more stuff for her. šŸ˜‚

Thank you, thinatlast and califdreamer. Sometimes, all you need is a bit of help, to make things more manageable. I have set the timer too for half an hour, just to see what I can achieve and found it really liberating to get rid of stuff.

My experience on this way of life has been a series of small incremental changes, but goodness how those teeny tiny changes add up! My body shape is completely different along with my confidence and attitude to food. Sugar is my Kryptonite and I suppose it always will be.

Good morning SHs,

Annette, I really admire your attitude to your son’s depression. Actually knowing that you are there to support and not fix everything is a huge realisation. My father had mild depression (sometimes worse than others) and in his later years I had a caring role for him. I could never shake the sense that I should be able to solve this, even though logically I knew I couldn’t.

Cali, I’m glad you found teas that you like the sound of. The hot date started life as a special edition for valentines day, but it was so popular they made it part of their regular range. If you like vanilla teas I can discuss them with you some time too as I’ve tried them all and like most. In Australia T2 offer free postage with $75 of purchases. As I drink tea every day I order in bulk so that I get free postage. I also tend to stock up when they have good discounts. (After christmas they offered 3 for 2, so I bought several 250g bags of my favourites and saved 1/3 of the cost.) Here they sell the loose leaf teas in 100g boxes and 250g bags and they have a small range of their teas in tea bags. Once I know I like a tea and will drink it regularly I buy the large bag as it’s more economical. Thin is right that T2 is pricey, but I think of it as my only vice! I did actually work out what it was costing me not long ago. For the teas I buy in 250g bags and drink most often, it costs 35-42 cents per large cup depending on which tea I have. The specialty teas in the 100g boxes are more like 50-55cents per cup. It’s still costs me less than one cup of tea or coffee from a cafe per day.
    Yes the missile debacle in Hawaii definitely made they news here, they even broadcast the news conference with the governor live. It would have been terrifying, especially as most people probably wouldn’t know where it was safe to shelter. If I’d been there on holiday I wouldn’t have had a clue where to go.

I was pleased to see that my tight jeans did up without me needing to breathe in this morning. It means the number of FDs I’ve been doing has been about right and have compensated for the extras I’ve been eating too often. This week I need to fast again on Thursday as I have my next infusion on Friday. This means 3 NFDs in a row. I need to behave myself and not eat the way I have been, or I’ll be squeezing in a 3rd FD Saturday. It’s not that I’m eating junk, just more than I know I need. Lately it’s been bread in particular that I find myself pulling out of the freezer often on NFDs.

I’d better get going. I need to get my lists and paint samples organised so that I can head to the hardware store after my doctor’s appointment this morning. I have Tues & Wens at home and I intend to get organised for painting both days – extra trips to the hardware store to pick up things I forgot to buy won’t help.

Annette, I have also found that being a healthy weight builds confidence. And 5:2 has shaped my food behaviours without my even realising it at the time.

CalifD, enjoy those teas! They often have the Lamington one in the shop for tasting and that’s one that I don’t like at all. Let us know how you find it. I’ve woken to the smell of smoke, no rain but heavy downpours still forecast. Our very good friends live on Molokai so we heard all about it long before it hit the news here. What a stuff up, eh?

I watched the news only to get the latest on the fire. Also shown was a story about culling cronullas. After seeing so many together for the first time in years the other morning, I’d mentioned to a horrified but skeptical DD that it had always been rumoured that the local authorities culled them because of resident noise complaints (ironic – last night the cleaners next door started vacuuming at 10.30pm).

Then last night there was a story confirming this does happen in our local environs (the culling, not the late-night vacuuming). The mayor of a town much further north gave a particularly gleeful interview about how his shire intended to kill them. They’re considered pests wreaking havoc on his town and his plan is to lure them to the ground with ‘tasty treats that they’ll like’ before netting and gassing them to ‘send them a message that they’re not welcome here’. Really? Yep, that should work, mate.

I understand that most Aussies will concur with his ‘vermin’ assessment but there was no balance to the story and it made me frankly sick that anyone could contemplate a job like that with such relish. Could they at least have attempted to interview a conservationist or is there no other side to this story? Does anyone ever stop to think that it’s actually humans that are wreaking havoc? I’d like a cull on mayors. Then followed the inevitable ‘Trump bashing’ stories at which point I remembered why I don’t bother watching the MSN. CalifD, I remember you said the news makes you angry.

My FD paid off. I think I’ll have the second coffee before deciding whether to risk the rain or hit the treadmill. Have a fabulous day everyone.

P.S. Morning LJ, I shall read yours over the second cup.

Good morning everyone,
    Still a bit crook, I think I might have caught another virus from my grandkids, ho hum, maybe once the little one has got used to day care (they go to the most wonderful day care centre twice a week) they won’t keep giving me little virus gifts.

Hi Annette, I agree that a tidy room feels so much better when dealing with depression. Good luck to your son, it is a hard issue to cope with.
    And hooray for small, incremental changes that gradually add up!
    PS Sugar is my kryptonite too.

Cali, what a wonderful (at least) three things you did, and excellent op shop finds!
    And what a laugh I got from that curious bird!
    The Hawaii mis warning has made the news. A distressing mistake. I think it is going to make governments all over the world check their safeguards.

Thin, I gather the wind kindly turned to help with the fire and LJoyce’s namesake ex cyclone is bringing its rain now.

LJoyce, good luck with the rest of the painting and three days to get into the ease of sensible NFD eating. Your jeans doing up give you a great start! Hope it is a good appt.

Best wishes to everyone

Thin, your post snuck in while I was writing.
    Awful story about the birds. As soon as (some) people think something is a pest they lose all sense of appreciation for the little lives. And they blame them, when it isn’t their fault at all. I know there has to be some culling of some things, sometimes, to start undoing the damage we have done, but it needs to be as respectful and humane as possible.
    I try to follow this philosophy, even with snails and cockroaches!

And ah, it is raining! Cheers for your day!

Hi everyone,

Quck check-in after a weekend away:

Starting my first FD for the week at 64.6kgs which is just 0.2kgs up from the day after my last FD, so managed my NonFDs well even though I was eating differently.

Thank you for your encouragement. Life is still full on, but much of that is positive stuff rather than the other stuff. Iā€™m also able to take the brace off my foot/ankle a bit now after 4months, which feels lovely.

Had a good laugh at all the guesses and ideas about my project.

Happy Fasting to all the Monday fasters,

Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Oh Cinque – I hope this isnā€™t another virus. Lots of lovely healing resting. Our 2 recoverers sometimes have to rein themselves in and do a bit less and rest more.

Thin, we can watch Fracture on Amazon for $3.99, but Netflix doesnā€™t have it here. You seem to have a much better Netflix selection, at least as far as things I want to watch. When we get through Outlander and a couple others we started watching, maybe Fracture will be free. Itā€™s a 10 year old movie, they should release it!

Itā€™s very disturbing that theyā€™re killing cockatoos. I know that they can be very loud, destructive and love to chew on things with extremely powerful beaks. As someone who did everything possible to save one, Iā€™m afraid my opinion isnā€™t very objective.

Cinque, I hope you donā€™t have a virus. Little kids with immature immune systems seem to pick up all sorts of things from each other and then pass them on to parents and grandparents. I hope youā€™ll feel better as the day goes on.

Cinque, I hope you feel better soon. You seem to get a few good days and then some new bug hits. You’ve definitely had more than your fair share of health issues recently. Here’s hoping this one is short lived.

Thin, I hope those fires are under control and don’t get any closer to you.

Cali, When I returned home from appointments and errands I found my latest T2 order on the doorstep – rather apt after our recent tea discussion.

I have just spent over $360 on paint – a long time since I’ve bought any and I hadn’t realised it cost so much these days. It won’t be enough to finish my painting but enough to make a good start. One of the tins is 15 litres and it has one of those clamp lids. You really do not want it to fall over in the car because if the clamp springs open the lid just falls off and you spill $200 worth of paint in your car. I drove home very very carefully taking every bend and corner much slower than usual, much to the annoyance of the cars behind me.

I also purchased a new back door and laundry door and paid a deposit for the doors and installation – that should happen in 2-3 weeks. They were having a sale so I get both doors installed for the cost of one.

Expensive morning, but all things on the long list that I need to organise and pay for.

I saw my GP this morning and he had my December blood test results. As expected my ESR (inflammation levels) are up. They are close to the critical level for keeping access to my treatment drug which could cause problems if they don’t go down by next month. On a positive note my fasting cholesterol levels are lower than they’ve been in many years. Although I’ve never had high cholesterol it was in the low 5.0s when I was morbidly obese. My total cholesterol is now 3.6 (it was 4.3 nearly 2 years ago). The only negative is that my HDL cholesterol (the good one) was only 0.8 and it should be at least 1.0 Looks like I might need to increase my fish oil consumption, oh joy! (Is there an emoji for “that tastes yukky”?) I’m wondering if fasting is the reason my overall cholesterol is down as 2 years ago I weighed about the same as now.

I’ve promised myself I’ll start the paint cutting-in on the walls today so that I can get straight into the roller work tomorrow. So I’d better change my clothes and get to work. Time to open that enormous paint can. (I hadn’t even realised you could buy it in tins that large.) Lifting it was a challenge.

Cinque, I hope you feel better soon. I should have listened to you this morning when you announced that it was raining here. We got a pretty good soaking but it felt very good actually. I’m surprised that the smell of smoke is still so strong when it’s raining as hard and for as long as I can remember in ages.

I had to smirk just a little when I read the review on the last guests next door. Left the place filthy, water running all over the floor, failed to clean up even their basic personal mess and checked out later than agreed causing inconvenience to their cleaner. The next lot are already screaming in the pool to rival any cockatoo and, with this weather, I’m guessing they’re either Canadian or Tasmanian. Today’s happy weight is keeping me in surprisingly good spirits although thoughts of moving away are looming quite large these days so I follow your activities LJ as you prepare your home for sale. I love that minute when all the cutting in is complete and it’s time for the roller – instant gratification.

Good job with the test results LJ – which fish oil do you take? I use Melrose deep sea fish oil and have a tsp of plain yoghurt at the ready to chase it down as it doesn’t taste good. Some local orthopaedic surgeons swear by it and claim that the capsules are useless substitutes. This is borne out by the many holidays where I’ve taken capsules along (as the oil is messy). Within two weeks, I would start to get the symptoms. Within two weeks of arriving home, those symptoms would clear. It’s supposed to help prevent dementia as well but I can’t comment on that.

CalifD, yes it’s an old movie so I’d hoped there’d be a sequel but sometimes they have completely different names. Interesting that you have a different set of shows to watch. I’m totally hooked on Netflix and rarely watch TV now. How many episodes/series of Outlander can you access?

JJulie, I hope you’re coming back. Have you been to Borneo yet?

Merry that’s an excellent result too after a weekend away. Hoping I can behave as well on my two NFDs. So far, so good.

LJ, CalifD, I’m just sharing a pot of T2’s Daintree with DD as she’s rostered on the overnight shift (4pm-8am) at the equine emergency hospital. We’ve added some soy milk and think it’s pretty good.

Good afternoon,

Here I am, just been really busy and hot and tired!!!

Temperatures up here are up and down with extremely hot days, then rain which cools us down, then back to hot again like today and they are forecasting that we will it the 40’s this week as well as the humidity. Even with the airconditioner on I am sweating while working.

It must be a time of tidying and getting rid of junk. On Sunday OH and i tidied the office and I sorted out all the old paperwork that is no longer needed and shredded it. I have made 17 bags of shredded paper so far. A neighbour has taken 12 bags to put in his chook pens and I had promised him there is more to come.

Next I will work out what is in there that is no longer needed and either it will go to the dump or put on facebook site for things for free.

Today I also bought a new vaccum cleaner after the other one died over the weekend and I am then going to clean out the spare bedroom where I have heaps of things I have stored and left. It is time to downsize!!!

Today is a FD for me. OH has flown out and I am on my own until Thursday so I am going to try 3 fast days in a row. Last week I only did Monday as a FD then the week was just mad and I could not get myself in the right timeframe. I have been good with no alcohol though and drinking lots of soda water with fresh lime from my tree in the backyard.

Saturday we fly out to Borneo and are away a week. I was only thinking today what I could eat that was not too bad for me as I always seem to struggle with fast days while away and would prefer to try just eating well rather than trying to explain that I can not eat anything and just want soup (especially when I may not know what is in the soup in the first place and could be unhealthy itself)

Any ideas of good Malaysian foods that I could look out for on a menu?

Have to go now but am getting emails to tell me what you are saying and will respond again before I leave.

Happy fasting everyone

Thin I saw the posts on teas and forgot to ask if they were T2 teas.

I just saw your post and it seems they are T2.

I have tried heaps of those teas.
    Gorgeous Geisha is one of my favourites as it is Green tea based.

Others I have had are Pumping Pomegranate, Strawberries and Cream and Twinkle Berry.

Most of them I prefer cold.

It is fun to taste test in the shop when I go in.

Hi Everyone
    Hope you all had a good weekend.
    Good luck with 3 FDs in a row JJ. I think its best to spread them out but when you have a time frame you need to do what works for you. Let us know how you go. I love Malaysian food but it usually involves rice- I really love rice! Have a wonderful time away.

My son and his GF went to do the 1000 steps yesterday – a popular thing near us for fitness buffs (Ive never even seen them personally haha) but half of Melbourne were there so they came home the scenic route thru the Dandenongs and went to a lovely tea shop in Sassafras. They bought a choc mint tea that I liked but OH hated. I think it will be good for FDs.

Oh Thin that would be sad if you felt you had to move because of the air bnb but I can imagine that its difficult to put up with šŸ™ – glad they had bad reviews!!
    Boy, LJoyce, you really put me to shame Ive done nothing the last few days.
    CalifD, I love Outlander too and am now waiting for the next season. We are watching Scandal at the moment and thats not too bad.
    Cinque I hope you are feeling better.

I didnā€™t put on too much weight after my last FD and over the weekend. Ill have a FD tomorrow- we have to go out and buy OH a suit and run some errands so that should make it easier to have a FD.
    Its a bit hard this week as I have OH, my son and future SiLaw and my DD are all either on holidays or in DDs case working part-time atm

Have a good one!! x x

When’s the BIG DAY, Stay? Where do you find Scandal? Is it on Netflix or our TV stations? I like the sound of it. We have one of those Jacob’s Ladder fitness steps places at the edge of Kings’ Park. OH and DD have done it, not I, so I can’t say how many steps there are.

Good to hear from you JJulie. As you’re only there a short time, I’d be inclined to just eat the normal Malaysian food but try and avoid the rice and anything fried. Hard, I know. If you can do three FDs in a row, eat everything in sight and then do three more when you return. Marathon girl! Good idea to offer the shredded papers to a neighbour with chickens. I might get some eggs out of that!

Stay, to put my current activities into perspective, until a week ago I’d sat around for weeks thinking about what I had to do and not actually doing any of it. I’m one of those people who puts things off then suddenly gets a burst of energy as the deadline looms. The deadline has loomed!

JJulie, the only healthy Malasian meal I can thing of is Gado Gado – raw veg, boiled eggs and peanut sauce – just don’t eat too much of the peanut sauce.
    Something you could consider doing instead of a normal FD, just have some days where you eat one meal rather than three. The calories may not be exactly 500, but it’s easier to manage when on holiday.

Thin, enjoy your tea. I’ve just made a pot of French Earl Grey to enjoy while my risotto cooks. I’ve finished the cutting in the study (and the brush is now in the freezer). I’d forgotten how tedious cutting-in is and how bad I am at not getting paint on the cornice. I also managed to finish the sanding and sugar soap in the hallway and toilet, so I’m hoping to get all three areas painted over the next two days.
    I also take Melrose liquid fish oil. I only take 5ml, but my rheumatologist would prefer I took 20ml. It’s the only non-drug where they have scientific evidence of an impact on joint inflammation – although the effect in the studies was mild. It’s not the taste that puts me off taking the oil (I still have to taste it for 5ml), it’s the calories I can’t cope with – it would be more than 10% of my daily TDEE and I find that unreasonable.

I’ve made another little dent in my freezer stocks. I’m making a risotto with pancetta, roasted pumpkin, peas and parmesan all from the freezer and pearl barley from the pantry. I usually make this risotto with broad beans but I didn’t have any so I substituted. It smells nice and I’m having difficulty not snacking while I wait as this is late for me for dinner.

Hi everyone
    Once again, lovely, interesting posts from you all. I’m currently on a mini plateau, but after a rare sweet tooth afternoon yesterday, I can expect to see a weight in the wrong direction on Thursday!
    Thin – I didn’t realize you could freeze a paint roller & then use it to paint, once thawed – will make life easier in the future.
    Thin, Cinque & Lindsay – my eye glasses lens are $680 for each pair + frames, so someone is certainly making a huge profit; really can’t understand why there should be such a huge mark up when the countries making them are so cheap – guess we all suffer in silence šŸ˜• I am getting 50% off the cheapest pair as a current special, thank goodness! If they help save sight then they’re worth it.
    Cinque – hope you are feeling better real soon; preschool illnesses may be an ongoing saga unfortunately – may need a magic immune system boost!
    LindsayL – hope you are all relaxed after your island holiday. Your miracle jeans sound great; will have to google for same
    LJoyce – do you happen to ‘rent yourself out’ for renovations, you sound very skillful & very productive – just amazing
    Hi also to Minka, GDay, Stay, Calif, Merry & JustJ.
    Hope you all enjoy this week whatever you get up to.
    I’m back to work tomorrow – been nearly a month but looking forward to it.
    Bye for now!

The risotto was very nice, but I was reminded of how different barley is to rice in risotto. I struggled to eat what seemed a fairly modest portion, and each mouthful required lots of chewing even though the barley was properly cooked. I could feel the fibrous husks from around the barley in my mouth as I tried to chew it. I definitely used to eat larger portions when I made risottos with arborio rice. It’s a reminder of the difference in fibre content between grains and how the higher fibre whole grains can help you feel full quicker.
    The amount I cooked was intended to be two dinner portions, but it will be 3-4.
    Time to make a cup of decaf chai and head to bed I think.

Good morning everyone, it is lovely here right now, preparing for a run of hotter days (I’m a weather wimp).

Merry, congratulations on getting that ankle brace off! Hooray!
    Congrats on a good week.
    I do hope your project is going well.

Glad you got good rain Thin. Less psychic, on my behalf, and more muddled, but nevermind! šŸ˜€ šŸ˜€
    Can you write a review on the place next door, saying that there are dreadful neighbours who call the police continually and sneak around taking photos, and knock on the door at dawn to ask for a cup of sugar?

It was an expensive day here yesterday, with paint and glasses and T2! But good purchases!

I hope you had a lovely fast day JJulie, good luck with all your organising. And good luck planning for Borneo. I hope you find lovely fresh light meals and can avoid the enticing snacks.

Stay I still have memories of climbing the 1,000 steps as a teenager, I thought my heart was going to burst! I wasn’t very fit. Exciting to hear talk of future in laws!

LJoyce, I have been meaning to make barley risotto, I came SO close about a month ago. I can imagine it is much chewier and more filling.

A little bird has told me Penguin is home. Hi Penguin.

It does seem like day care centres have enormous things like dreamcatchers, but for viruses!
    I am a lot better today, which is good as we have good friends visiting this afternoon, daughter and kids are coming over too. I won’t have to do anything.
    (Wish I could fly around cleaning for a couple of hours though! At least I have a few hours for my three game.)

Best wishes for a good day, every one of you šŸ™‚

Hi Cinque, good to hear you are feeling better today.
    I don’t make risotto very often, but I don’t even have rice in the pantry any more so it forces me to use other grains when I do. I’ve tried quinoa, pearl barley and freekah. My favourite is definitely the barley, although it does take longer to cook compared to using rice and it requires more liquid (about 2 2/3 times the volume of barley). The texture is different to pearl barley in soup, it doesn’t swell as much. It also adds it’s own flavour to the risotto, unlike rice which is just a bland base to add flavours to.
    I’m also looking at the forecast with trepidation – too many hot days in a row for my liking.

I’ve finished my tea and watched the foreign news and can’t use any more delaying tactics. Time to start painting.

Viewing 50 posts - 14,451 through 14,500 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.