Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 4 days, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 13,601 through 13,650 (of 28,011 total)

• Just a quick note to say welcome Carocree and KiwiOzBrit
    I’m on grandma duty but KiwiOzBrit your post made me remember The Whoosh Effect.
    I can’t even remember who put the link up, and this isn’t the same link but I hope it explains it well and may be useful.https://www.trustyspotter.com/blog/whoosh-effect

Will write more tomorrow!
    Bye

Hi fellow SH’S
    No FD today – worked instead, maybe tomorrow.
    GDSA – enjoy your new car, always lots of fun getting to know the ins & outs – no speeding though!
    Calif & Julie – congrats on your weight loss achievements, very happy for you both.
    Calif, Julie, Thin, LJoyce – that was my 1st rainforest yoga experience: amazing! Have to do it again. LJoyce – I’d love to buy an easy to follow yoga DVD, any suggestions most welcome; hope you enjoyed your FD.
    CaroCree – very warm welcome to this wonderful forum; I’ve recently started 5:2 & enjoy every post, full of great information.
    Cinque – my 5:2 book says 500 cal for women x 2 days/week fasting, which should be ok when I get my ‘bad habits’ sorted. 800 cal daily, for me, impossible! Your chat with neighbour sounds wonderful.
    Hope you all have a good week – happy fast days! Enjoy, & bye for now

Also warm welcome to kiwiozbrit – amazing how many posts pop up in the time in takes to write one!

Arelkade – I actually made my own DVD containing a series of 30min sessions. We have a local community television channel that shows a series called “move it or lose it” – it’s exercise for the elderly, with all sessions filmed within aged care facilities – so it’s easy level exercise. It includes aerobics, pilates, tau chi and yoga. I still have a DVD & hard drive recorder so I recorded all of the yoga sessions, then edited them to eliminate anything I can’t do (I can’t do any exercises that involves kneeling or put undue pressure on my neck). Then I created 3 different 30min sessions. It is yoga at a level my body is able to do and gives me some exercise I can do indoors on a rainy day.

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome, it certainly is great to be part of this wonderful Aussie group!
    Yes, I started the 5:2 a while ago but got lost in life as you do sometimes. I have recently started again after re-reading the book and watching the Eat, Fast and Live Longer show which inspired me to start again with a vengeance!
    And yes LJoyce I agree with you about the weight helping with the inflammation part of my autoimmune disease and I have also found that getting off fructose has helped too. I eat all fruits as well as dried, rice malt syrup (which is pure glucose) and stevia (took a bit of getting use to) and have found that none of my joints with the PA in them ache anymore. They even look and feel almost normal!! I’m not religious about it and will occasionally have something with “sugar” in it and I can get away with it but if I have too much then I cop it. I also don’t eat a lot of processed foods which is how I have been looking after my gut health.
    I have never felt better! Even before my diseases manifested!!
    Please feel free JustJulie and everyone else to shorten my name to Caro or CC!
    Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome and have a wonderful day!! 😃

Good morning losers!

Caro, I’ll call you CC! We’re glad you’re back on 5:2. Most of us here realise it’s a way of life so we hope you stay.

KiwiOzBrit, welcome to you. You might become KOB before long. As far as the plateau, it’s difficult to say without knowing a bit more. Changing the fast days around probably won’t make much difference and, in reading about flexible FDs from posters here, I believe it’s easier to stick to two pre-determined days per week, employing flexibility only to get around essential events. I feel that this also helps the faster establish the routine for life. Knowing which are your fast days is also helpful in conditioning others around you to support you. All my neighbours know that Sundays and Wednesdays are my FDs and I’ve changed the Sunday to Saturday about 4 times in 3 years. I’ve also found it very helpful to have one weekend day as a FD as this puts a limit on potential weekend sabotage.

Assuming you’re adhering to the FDs strictly (a quarter of your TDEE), it might be helpful to look at other things. Are you eating for the weight you want to be rather than your current weight? This forms a significant difference between 5:2 and other diets. We have to learn to eat for the weight we want to maintain and continue to do so after we reach the goal weight.

Sorry, most of what I want to reply to is on the previous page and I dare not go back for fear of losing the post. I believe LJ has already suggested looking at your NFD intake and I agree with that advice. It can also be helpful to try cutting out certain foods for a couple of weeks to see if that has any major impact. I stopped eating bread in all forms when I got stuck on a plateau and the weight immediately fell off. I also stopped eating rice and pasta and now don’t eat any of those foods. You could also try eliminating alcohol as it’s very high in calories with no nutritional value.

Have a lovely day everyone.

Thanks LJoyce Arelkade and thinatlast for the welcomes and advice.
    Yes, def need to look at TDEE. Luckily I’m not really a drinker (about 1 G&T per 2-3 months!), but like so many chocolate is my downfall. Tried having just one square of dark on NFD, but found I was eating more & more so had to stop! Am going to look at my TDEE again.

Good morning everyone, and welcome newbies – lovely to see a couple of new 5:2 ers and upping the Kiwi numbers! I wish you all well on this fabulous way of normalising your weight and improving your health whatever age you are. I lost 21kgs to achieve my normal weight using 5:2 with no exercise. Female, mid 60’s, OH drifting in and out of 5:2. I have Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, commonly known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, am mobile, do a session weekly with an exercise physiologist to keep my body functioning, not seizing up, but no exercise as such. Wish I could, and encourage everyone who is able to, to fit exercise into your daily life. If I could do 10,000 steps a day, I’d be there like a shot, and probably pushing for more.

This year has been an Annus Horribulus, and is continuing to throw things at us. At present November has thrown me another couple of challenges but I’ll get through them. I don’t give much detail because we had a serious identity theft situation a couple of years ago, so generalities it is.

My challenging year has seen me struggle on maintainence, not completing all my FDs and doing some stress eating – sugar, carbs and quantity all playing their part in that. So today seems like I’m able to look clearly ahead and I’ve just written down my mini- goals to get me back to my goal weight. I do the same 2 FDs , Mon/Thurs 99% of the time. I have to be careful not to sabotage my FDs at night, and the best strategy is to walk.away.from.the.kitchen!

Weight today: 65.9kgs

Thanks to everyone for your support through this year 💐 Sorry I’m not able to keep up with the thread at the moment, but I will get back and I keep using the tracker. For me, 5:2 is for life, and while “Life” happens, I know I have a powerful tool to help me. As I said last post, without having 5:2, I would not have normalised my weight, and my stress eating this year would have been far more out of control, and I probably would have ended up with much more weight gain. My childhood taught me that to eat felt good, and with 5:2 I have a way to counteract that subconscious urge. I remain astounded that, with my health situation I was able to lose weight at all. I will remain forever grateful, and grateful for this forum.

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry,

PS My name came from 2 things – wanting a positive forward looking name, and Merry from Lord of the Rings.

Hi all. A quick skim thru posts to catch up. My new car is a very dark blue….exactly the same as the supercharged commodore I owned before the 4wd. It has been a struggle sticking to the speed limit as it has so much power….MissD is keeping me in check though. I put the 4wd up for sale today so fingers crossed it sells quickly.

I’m at my work Melbourne cup lunch/afternoon at the mo. Am dressed in one of the new outfits I purchased online and its very stylish, the colours match my red facinater. All the clothes I ordered fit like a glove so very happy indeed.

Time to go the ‘Race that stops the Nation’ starts soon.

Hi everyone
    Well the race is over & no money won today! Hope some of you had better luck.
    LJoyce: your self made DVD sounds amazing, so glad it works for you. Being a young 65, the easy level exercises suit me just fine as well – will have to research further & find a ready made yoga DVD for my home practice
    Thin: your suggestion to ‘eat for the weight you want to be’ sounds reasonable – will have to reevaluate my TDEE & FD calorie needs & also be stronger with overall eating habits to assist with health benefits. So far, I’ve also found bread is not helpful, & tomatoes increase my body inflammation.
    Merryme – mini goals sound helpful & really could make long term goals more achievable. Best wishes with your maintenance strategies
    GDSA – hope you 4WD sells quickly. Enjoy your new wardrobe of clothing & hope you had a win today!
    Hope you all have a great evening. Bye for now!

Good afternoon everyone,
    Had a read back through the pages since I last posted see few new names, welcome to you, as well as many familiar ones keeping the posts bustling along and supporting each other.
    I recently turned one in this WOL and still going strong. I did have some mates up from Melbourne last week arriving late on my Thursday FD and I gave in to have a beer with them but later looked up the kj’s for my beer (Carlton Breweries actually have a page for this) which added up to 1723kj’s or 412cals for three beers so with my morning coffee’s I was still OK at just over 2000kj’s for the day. I do not plan on doing this as a norm but it is OK once in a blue moon.
    I did cut right down on my bread and pasta intake for a couple of weeks which got the scales moving again but haven’t kept it up so still hovering at 106-107kg. I am still feeling great and was just admiring my skinny ankles the other day and the belt did go in another notch comfortably to help keep up my shorts last week. I am still losing size in my clothes as they all fit well and the old larger sizes can’t be worn so I am looking forward to shopping for new summer clothes soon.
    My meals for FD’s have been the same with the exception for last week and a couple of water fasts that just happened when busy until late.
    LJoyce I did finally see those Changs noodles as I went to the new Coles that just opened nearby I may give them a go one day.
    JustJulie I see you have found my secret drink for FD evenings, soda water with a wedge of lime or lemon. This drink has been a great help to get through a day.
    Merryme your mini goals will get you back down and you are allowed leeway when required that’s the great thing about this Way Of Life.
    Thinatlast stay naked. (5:2ing)
    Cinque I tell myself you can have it tomorrow when staring at something in the fridge or at the shops on FD. Like yourself the next morning I feel so fantastic you don’t want the wrong foods (I normally have eggs for brekky NFD’s)
    *Note to all: If you want to look back at other pages whilst posting to help remember things open another tab to look back then your post won’t disappear works a treat.
    Meals for the day:
    2 x white coffee’s 300kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans 400kj, 150g mushrooms 175kj Total 1675kj or 400cals.

Welcome Carocree and KiwiOzBrit. Glad you found this forum. It sure makes it easier to stick with the 5:2 with all the great advice here. We have a few members on this thread that have reached their goals and have been maintaining for quite some time. They have been through the struggles and have lots of good tips to keep the rest of us from getting discouraged when we hit plateaus or are having trouble avoiding temptation.

GDay, good luck with selling you 4WD. I hope you find a buyer soon. Glad you are having so much fun with your new car. Dark blue is nice color.

My FD went pretty well today. I felt a little hungry tonight, and hope I didn’t drink too much tea and soda since I’m going to bed in a few. Hope I lose the 1 kg that I gained today. Yesterday wasn’t really a bad day, just busy and eating things here and there, not paying enough attention to what I was putting in my mouth.

We turned back the clocks this weekend and it’s getting dark around 5:00. It always takes a few days to adjust. It is nice to have it light in the morning though.

Good morning lovely 5:2ers,
    Finally managing to write, my health isn’t the best at the moment (I am another person with ME/CFS like Merry). I thought I was recovering but I was too optimistic. I am putting in all the protocols to help me!

When my health is bad I find it hard to read long posts, so (even though you are the ones reading 😉 ) I might write a couple of shorter ones today!

Welcome again CaroCree, what wonderful news that the BSD helped with your pain and other symptoms. That is the best sort of miracle. Cheers for 5:2 getting rid of excess weight and continuing on helping your long term health.

And welcome again KiwiOzBrit,
    I read your first post more carefully without Little Miss 3 on my knee! So while the Whoosh factor may still be relevant, I suspect you are right that things like portion control on Non Fast Days would be the issue.

My own experience was really clear as when I began 5:2 I really could eat what I wanted on Non Fast Days and still be getting skinnier. I lost around 15 kilos and the closer I got to my healthy weight, the more obvious it became that I had to eat properly on NFDs, not only to lose the last kilos, but to avoid putting weight on again.

Snacks, large portions and second helpings have become things I need to avoid as much as possible, i.e. most days have none of them!
    And another sad fact seems to be that the older we get, the less leeway we have. Sigh.

Luckily the good things about having 5:2 and sensible eating in our lives far outweigh the sad things!
    🙂

Arelkade, are you fasting today? I hope you have a really good one and feel nicely light and empty tomorrow morning.

I have the most wonderful yoga dvd, but it might be too old to find now. It is by Wai Lana and she has a gorgeous manner. My DVD is called Easy Series Workout and has
    1. Beginners Workout
    2. Toning Workout
    3. Relaxation Workout
    because of my bad health I have to adjust a lot of the moves to do the basic stretches, and skip others but I have been happily going through them as much as I can, over and over, for more than 20 years!
    Oh look, I found an trailer! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixga_iVyl3M

Merry, so good to see your post! Hello Hello!
    I guess it was too much to ask that November throw you NO challenges at all. Fairly small and easily dealt with? Fingers crossed.
    I have been complaining about 2017 being a shocker of a year, and I know my year was apples compared to yours. But I am just saying, come on 2018.
    We will love it too when your life is more settled and we see you here regularly. We miss you.

Missed you too Joffy, so good to get a catch up and knowing the minestrone meals are still doing their trick! Another notch on the belt!
    I mostly write at my computer because opening all the tabs necessary for answering posts is so much easier than on my little ipad.
    Best wishes

Gday, dark blue is such a classy colour for a cool car!

Cali, fingers crossed that 1kg is gone next time you look. We are stealing your evening light, it is getting very easy here at the end of the days, we need a portal so you can pop over.

How is the packing going JJulie?

Thin, and all the Wednesday Fasters, I am sort of fasting with you today. I am doing a bizarre hybrid thing as I have appts and visitors for the next couple of days and so I am concentrating on having big spaces of emptiness between social eating. Today will be like a Ramadan fast as I will eat after sunset, with family, and tomorrow…. not sure what is happening, which is why I will do what I can today. And planning miso soup for my evening meal tomorrow.

Best wishes to eveyone

Morning losers and stayers,

Joffy, lovely to hear from you and congratulations on your first anniversary of 5:2 and the loss of 20kg. What a star! I had a big chuckle at your comment about continuing naked because I’d just returned from a very hot walk (36C yesterday) and had completely stripped off, checked the thread briefly before getting into the shower! Sorry for the scary mental image but it was funny to read.

Merry, lovely to see your post also. All we need now is Intesha (and CM, Minka, JodyW and a few others). Summer’s here so perhaps they’ll come out to play with us. Your weight seems pretty good but I can’t quite recall your lowest – I’m thinking 62kg?

Cinque, marathon effort! I hope you start feeling better soon. Enjoy your time with family and doing your modified fasty things. I really want to start doing some yoga again. I loved the yoga on DD’s old Wii but it’s a hassle to set it up every day. Lots of people do it in the park next to the river.

CalifD, I hope you drop that extra kg again. We don’t have daylight savings in WA which make it permanently hard for me to remember whether we’re 2 or 3 hours behind the eastern states and my brother in the UK always has to remind me of the difference whenever we plan a skype chat. We briefly dared to try daylight savings a few years ago but apparently it fades the cows and confuses the curtains or something like that and so we had to stop doing it.

JJulie, not long now. Have a safe and fabulous trip. Did you accept the flights from your friend too?

LJ, thanks for posting the link to the coffee cals. I had often wondered about flat white but wouldn’t risk it on a FD. I tend not to use my precious calories on liquids on a FD.

Arel, are you fasting with me today? I lazily pulled out another FD surprise from the freezer. Along with another cauliflower soup and a portion of almond and coconut milk. Nothing to think about other than the OFM’s meals.

34C today so I’d better get cracking with the walk before it gets any warmer.

Hi everyone, 5:2ers, new, on the way and maintainers, readers, checking it outers, lurkers, Southern Hemisphaeries and Honorary Southern Hemisphaeries,

Joffey – Happy Anniversay!👏🏼⭐️ Yay! 20kgs gone and doesn’t it feel wonderful – well done you.

Cinque – hello, hello to you too. Good to hear you are well enough to enjoy those gorgeous girls. Good that you know how to look after yourself so well – no pushing of envelopes too far. My Nov challenges, sigh, 1 will need months of recovery and the other is tedious and time consuming doing things I dislike and procrastinate over, but not overly dreadful all up.

Thin – I love imagining your walks, bike rides?, and kayak paddles. The Swan River is lovely. Yes, 62kgs it was and will be again. The graph in the tracker clearly shows where the worst of this years horribulus events have happened, and it shows me struggling to keep it even or go down. I really want to make an impact on thethe extra 4kgs by Christmas. Fortunately most of my family try to eat healthily and keep the treats for a few days only from Christmas Day. Strawberries have been getting a bashing
    I hadn’t know they had such a low calorie countbefore 5:2.

Bye for now,
    Merry

Hi SHs,

I a bit late posting today as I’ve been in the city all day.
    I had a dental checkup and my dentist is in the CBD, so I arranged to catch up with some ex work colleagues for lunch at the Central Market and spent the intervening time shopping for earrings.
    I don’t like being in the city much, but it was a reasonably fun morning. I
    had pierced ears for decades but I left the earrings out for several months when I had a series of surgeries and one of then grew over and it took me a while to get around to having them re-pierced. When I went through my collection of earrings I noticed that most of them were appropriate for business wear but not really suitable to my current lifestyle, so I decided to go shopping for some that would work with casual clothes. I managed to get several pairs at very reasonable prices and they all have either sterling silver or 9ct gold posts.

Joffy – good to hear how you are going. I was rather impressed that you managed to make 3 beers fit into a FD. Well done on the weight loss, I suspect you are really feeling better for that missing 20kg.

Merry – sorry to hear that life is still throwing you curve balls. I think times of stress always threaten to push us back into old patterns of eating. I so glad that you’ve stuck with it most of the time regardless of all the challenges. I really hope 2018 is easier.

Thin, I wasn’t fasting today, quite the opposite. Currently I’m doing 2 FDs, 4 very controlled days at <TDEE and one free day (I’ve manged to mostly stick with this for the last 5-6 weeks). Today was my free day as I was out to lunch. I had baramundi with salad for lunch and bought some of my favourite breads so I could have NAS fruit & nut sourdough with a pot of tea for afternoon tea. (Everyone else ordered pizza for lunch but I decided I’d rather have some nice bread instead, so ordered a healthy lunch with the promise of nice bread later.) Not sure about dinner, it will depend on how much appetite I’ve got left.

JJulie, not long now. I hope you have a fabulous time in Japan.

Cinque – hope your health improves soon.

Time for that cuppa and the lovely fruit & walnut sourdough that’s sitting on the kitchen bench calling to me.

I forgot to mention – at the Central Market I found early locally grown cherries – still expensive at this time of year but I bought one serve just to increase the anticipation of more stone fruits to come – YUM! 😀

Good evening to all,

I have been really busy the last few days but also I just wondered why I had not been getting the emails to say there were posts to read. It seems the ticked box unticked itself!!

So now I am back on board.

I have packed my suitcase and it weighs only 13 kg even with all the treats I am taking. I am allowed 20kg.

I have walked the last two mornings again and did my Taiko practice tonight. Wow was it hot there tonight and it gave us all a good workout. I did not mean to have a fast day today but just forgot to eat until about 4.30 when I had the last of the vegie and konyaku stirfry I made a couple of days ago. I needed something before taiko practice. I am now enjoying a really tall glass of lime slices with ice and soda and am now on my second. I drank all my waterbottle tonight so have been filling up of water!!

We will see what I weigh tomorrow morning as I may not get the chance to post on Friday.

Hope everyone has a great two weeks while I am away, but I will try to post a couple of times. Sometimes there are scales in the hotels so I can keep an eye on myself.

Cheerio for now.

Good morning my fellow 5:2ers!

I have to say that it is so inspiring to read all you posts and witness how you all support each other so much – it brings tears to my eyes! I never been one to partake of such forums before but I am seeing the benefits with you guys! You are all amazing!!!

Hope you all have a wonderfully light day!! 😊

It’s Frothy Coffee Thursday, yay!

Merry, hoping you make a good dent on that extra 4kg. You’ve done well and minimised the damage with all that you & OH have been through this year. Thinking of you. Cinque too. Healthy times ahead I hope.

LJ, glad you had a nice day in the city. I like your weekly eating plan.

JJulie, I never leave home without my travel scales! They weigh 700gms themselves and I only ever take carry on luggage so it still leaves me 6kgs for my toothbrush and underwear. It’s been hot here too. I really notice the change when walking. Hoping you see the results you deserve on the scales this morning. Will you be fasting while away?

Caro, I’d never used any forums, let alone participated in one before this one. I’ve even met seven Perth losers from this thread. I agree it is fantastic to have a support network of people who ‘get it’.

Good morning everyone.
    I had to be up early this morning as the damaged fence was finally being removed this morning – it was squashed by a neighbour’s huge tree in one of the storms we had here late last year. The owners of the property don’t plan to replace it yet as they are developing the site next year and will put retaining walls and fences up then. As I’m planning to sell the house early next year I can’t wait that long, so I’m going to have to add some taller shrubs at the back of the garden bed to create a green screen on the edge of the garden. The man removing the fence has worked fast this morning, all of the iron sheets are off and he’s now removing the posts, so it should be finished soon – it’s already looking very different. I might go to the nursery this afternoon and look at plants to see what might be suitable. I already have some camelias in, but they are still fairly small and will take a few more years until they are large enough to provide privacy.

I’m fasting today and have had my usual start to the day – one pot of tea.
    As the weather is warming up here I have a salad planned for my FD dinner tonight. I have some chicken left over from last night to put with it.

I have found myself having to change everything I usually cook lately as my digestive system has been behaving quite abnormally since the gastric infection I had a month ago. Foods that were normally helpful are now causing extreme bloating and pain – pulses and some veg (cruciferous & alliums) seem to be the biggest culprits. Having a high fibre diet used to be essential to keeping the IBS symptoms controlled, but at the moment it seems to be causing them. I spoke with my GP about this on Tuesday and he said it can take quite a while for the inflammation to subside after a bowel infection so I need to be patient. Not doing so well with the patience. I’m also second guessing everything I put on my plate and worrying about whether it will cause a reaction. It’s also made realise just how many high fibre foods were in my normal diet, now that I have to be cautious of them – I just hope this is temporary.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning all. Another quick check in to say weight is still remaining steady at 62 to 62.5 although the next few weeks will be the tester.

Will be in Adelaide next week with MissD for a few days. The following weekend will be in beautiful Wallaroo for 3 days spending time at the beach with MissD and OH. The weekend after that OH and I will be in Whyalla for the weekend. All meals will be eaten out so will have to be extremely careful of choices and portion sizes.

Wow I havent had such a busy social calendar in years ! All good fun and thoroughly enjoying life at the moment. Obviously I’ve offered to take my new car on our little jaunts….driving has become my new passion…lol !

Ive read through posts but seeing as I’m playing so much ‘catch up’ at the moment its impossible to make comments.

Hope everyone is enjoying their day.

Morning all,

It rained heavy early this morning so no need to water the garden today and no walking with this rain this morning.

Have just been to the hairdresser. This is a lady who has opened a home salon in my area and I thought I would give her a go. I had a trim and hair colour for only $60. I am very pleased. This would normally cost be $120-150 at the salon at the shopping centre. I will return again for sure. And the colour is perfect.

Weigh in this morning did not change but I think I drank so much yesterday because of the heat that my body is retaining it. I will try to do fast days while away but that might be hard when travelling with two who spend quite a bit of time deciding on lunch restaurants.
    Thin, I decided not to take the February holidays as i worked out the dates and they were in the Chinese New Year timeframe. Japan is very busy at this time so is Cairns and the Taiko group with Chinese New Year events. We just could not have the time away when the group is performing.

I will try to post tomorrow morning early, but if not I definitely will be looking in while away and will post when I can.
    I will be posting my journey on Julie’s Japan if you are interested.

Have a great day everyone.

GdayfromSA
    I used to live on Clayton Drive in Wallaroo! Such a lovely area 🙂
    I’m on FD today, struggling a bit as on a day off from work. Doing housework to distract myself from the tummy rumbles!
    Some days I hardly even notice I’m fasting, other days (like today) are harder.
    Lovely fresh salad to look forward to later though….

Hi Everyone
    Welcome to all the newbies. I can’t believe its been a week since I posted but life has been busy and most of my grownup kids were home a couple of days this week with it being Cup Weekend. Most schools have a curriculum day on Monday and most trades take the Monday off too. Ive also had my grandkids 2 days and will have them again tomorrow.
    JustJulie, is Julie’s Japan a Facebook page? Have a great time away!! x
    LJoyce thats such a pain having food sensitivities. I have problems with garlic and oily foods. I can’t have fish oil or anything like that either.
    Thin, Im sure my OH would love for you to pack for ME!! lol. I have to wheel/carry my own suitcase everywhere so I dont end up packing everything haha.
    Gday I’m sure your social life will be busier now. When my OH was deployed overseas for a year I noticed my social life was quieter- I didn’t really mind.
    Merry, I hope there is a big turnaround for your circumstances soon xx
    I went to see a new doctor this morning for some minor things but she does want things to be checked out. My old doctor just nodded and said nothing was serious but I think after seeing him for over 30 years I need someone with a fresh attitude who doesn’t know me so well.
    Well it looks like we are finally getting some better weather. Im going out to mow the back lawn when I finish posting.Ive also done my housework so haven’t given much thought to food 🙂
    Im doing a FD today. I did one Tuesday but ended up about 700 cals. We are going to Phillip Island with friends tomorrow afternoon and staying til Saturday night- think boat, wine, cheese, breakfast in cafe-that sort of weekend. Oh well I knew November was going to be social. I will be able to do 2 FD next week during the week, maybe Ill do 3!!
    Have a great day everyone!! xx (i will post more often)

Good morning. Kiwiozbrit dont know how long since youve been to Wallaroo but its no longer a quiet little township. Like most seaside towns its been highly developed with a marina, multi story complex and housing developments….still a nice place to be though.

Yay yay ive broken through the 62 barrier and this morning weighed in at 61.6kg…..my lowest ever weight.

Happy Friday everyone

Oh my gosh I forgot to welcome our new posters…..Warm welcome to everyone. I have no doubt you will find lots of useful info and support here….as well as some fantastic general chit chat ☺

Good morning everyone,
    It is quite a glarey morning here (spellcheck doesn’t think that is a word, but bright light and white cloud cover: it is glarey). It is going to get to 24!

My hybrid fast days are still morphing. Wednesday went well, I fasted and then had an evening meal with my family. Yesterday went topsy turvy. So today NAKED 5:2 YAY! and then another one on Sunday.

LJoyce, cherries, yum! However, I have been thinking of your symptoms in light of that Catalyst on Gut Health. The one on IBS talked about those fodmap foods exacerbating inflammation because they are so good at feeding the lower gut. I think cherries were on the list!
    So sending you best wishes that you can avoid all the irritating foods and get back to normal so you can reintroduce them.

Gday, what a wow your life is at the moment. I just love how much you are enjoying it! And 61.6kg, hooray!

JJulie, today is takeoff day! Bon yoyage! best wishes!

Thin, I just love to know how much you enjoy that frothy coffee on a Thursday. Doesn’t 5:2 allow us to appreciate the small wonderful things about food… and frothy coffees!

Caro, it is lovely to have you here.
    Do you have regular fast days? How do you manage them? e.g. when do you eat? Are you like me and eat the same thing every fast day? Or are you one of the ones that develop exciting low calorie meals to make fast days special?

Stay, what a busy time you have had. I hope you are having a wonderful time on Phillip Island! I just love PI!
    Good luck with those things that need checking out. Your new doctor seems to be on the ball.

Kiwi, I am the same! Some fast days fly by, others are gripey irritable things! I tell myself all those hunger pangs mean the fasting is working!
    Do you feel all wonderful and light and empty this morning?

I’m going to have a coffee and then head off to mind my cheeky little 1 yo granddaughter to let my daughter do some unfettered housecleaning! A nice way to distract myself on a fast day!

Hoping your day is a good one!

Good morning,

Well yes today is take-off day. Dags have been put into boarding until my other daughter gets back from Brisbane. Bag is packed and at the front door. Taxi has been ordered, daughter is nearly ready and we have an hour to spare. I just have to put my make-up on!! A friend of mine who is a flight attendant is on our flight today, so we should get special treatment!!

I weighed this morning but nothing to brag about happened with me. Probably the bubbly I had with a friend last night before leaving celebration!!

I will be good in Japan though as it is hard to get wine there at a good price and I begrudge paying $10 a glass when you can buy it for $10 a bottle at home.

OH is at Bangkok airport waiting for his flight to meet us in Osaka.

Back in two weeks so take care of yourselves and happy fasting!!!!
    I will be thinking of you………..well, a little bit. I wont lie, I will be so busy!!! Cheerio for now!!!

Dags?????

Dogs!!!!!

Good morning SHs,

Some of you are having a fine old time: Japan, Adelaide, Wallaroo, Whyalla, Phillip Island… I’m staying home this weekend. Although my best friend is coming up for afternoon tea on Sunday so it won’t be a FD, I’ll have to move that to Monday again.

For those of you who are actually getting to travel, have a lovely time. I also hope your weight behaves well while you’re away.

I went to four nurseries yesterday looking for some suitable plants to form a screen to replace the fence that was pulled down yesterday. It’s going to be pricey because I need plants that are already 2m tall. It looks like my best value option might be pittosporum, they are one of the few plant that has the right growing habit and cost less than $100 for a plant of that size, most are well in excess of that. Still, it’s cheaper than replacing the fence and the end result will be more attractive than a fence. Thankfully that garden bed already has the low and medium height plants in and growing well, it’s just the tall plants at the back that are missing. I did put some camelias in but they are growing so slowly that they are barely visible at the moment. I’m going to decide this weekend and get the plants on Monday as we are having several days of rain late next week – good time to have new plants in.

Have a nice day everyone.

Gday, I lived in Wallaroo in 2002-2003, the marina was in but not many houses, but prices were already going stupid. Sad to hear it’s lost some of its laid-back vibe to high-rises etc.
    Cinqe, after fighting it all day I had forgotten we were going out for dinner, doh! Oh well, will have to be Sunday and maybe Wed next week.
    All of you travelling, stay safe and have fun!

Welcome new people! Hahaha, I’ve only been here two weeks!
    Today is my first FD where I actually feel hungry. I’m working 12-5 today so I’ll be busy then but I’m concerned I’m going to be munching by early evening. I will try to have something organised by then.
    2 weeks in and I’ve lost 1kg.

Quick hello this morning just to say I’m all for naked, Cinque!

Except, that is, when it comes to maintaining privacy in my garden. I like my neighbours’ concrete totally blocked out. LJ, I wanted to suggest when I read your post yesterday that you look into pittosporum. I can highly recommend it. Our suburb has changed dramatically since the ‘me’ crowd arrived building their extensive homes on small blocks overlooking everyone else and the replacement of long established, beautiful trees with swimming pools. We have had to adapt accordingly in order to maintain privacy.

Pittosporum is a very fast growing tree that can become a dense and tall screen. Its nick-name is ‘goodbye neighbours’ which instantly attracted me to it. It does drop cherry sized, pink berries but this won’t bother you as you’ll be gone. Ours had grown so high that we had to engage a tree surgeon to cut them back last year, a decision I instantly regretted as I did feel completely naked and could see some two storey additions over the back that I hadn’t even realised were there before. But, within months, they were back to forming a dense screen again. Fabulous!

The other fast growing trees along our fence line are a lime which went bananas (well, limes) in its first year forming a dense screen and Grevillea Olivacea which also formed a thick screen in its first year gaining about 2.5 metres in height and width. Its growth has been amazing. Another is callistemon. It forms dense foliage which attract native birds and can be shaped as a hedge or left to grow naturally. I’ve recently bought one more of each of the latter to replace the tree that blew down in the front garden. Good luck in your decisions!

Afternoon everyone,

I realise I am a little late but I hope you have wonderful time in Japan JJulie! Safe travels!

Thank you OldLisa for your welcome and congratulations on your 1Kgs lose!

I can really relate to your quest for privacy in your backyard Thin and LJoyce! I had a all these palm trees around my fence line when I moved in 8 years ago but then they grew up and I got to see all my neighbours! Ended up removing most of them and replacing them with Lillipillis. They grow fairly fast, create a great screen and as long as you hedge them once or twice a year they keep blocking the neighbours.

Cinque I have the same meals – breakfast at about 8:00-8:30 and then a light snack at about 1:00. I’m up at about 5:00 so I tend to do everything early. At present I am trying to fast 3 days a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday). Sometimes I don’t make it to the end of the day but sometimes I do. I prefer to make my exciting meals for feed days. That way I can eat as much as I want (well, in my mind at least)!

Gday congratulations on breaking through to 61.6Kgs! That’s fantastic!

I hope you all have a fabulous and light weekend!

Thin, thanks for the plant advice. Limes can only be grown in large tubs or under cover here as the winters are too cold and frosty. I did look at some of the natives you mentioned, but I couldn’t find any that were both large enough and the right colour (only white or pale pink flowers will work with the existing plants). I think a plain green background is the safest option. If I had time up my sleeve I would have preferred to either add more pale pink camelias or some photinias, as I already have both of those in the front garden, but I can’t afford the really mature plants and I don’t have time to wait for them to grow.
    I will be going with the pittosporum. I planted several in one of my other garden beds last year and they have done well with minimum care – just my sort of plant – the temperamental ones don’t last long under my care.

I’m planning to dig the holes 1.5m apart over the weekend – I’ll know how many plants to buy based on how many holes I end up with. I think that’s the weekend exercise sorted.

Good morning,
    It is the lovely ‘Day After Fast day’ morning for me.
    I was lovely and naked all day yesterday 😉 in a 5:2 way ofcourse.

I was listening to the Sydney based radio program ‘Thank God It’s Friday’ last night and someone teased the host (Richard Glover) saying “Oh, you with your 5:2 and (other things I can’t remember)!” So that made me punch the air, as it was a friendly tease.

Caro I love having the same thing on Fast Days too. It makes them days I really don’t need to think about food at all (although I don’t know how I manage to get the kitchen bench stacked with dirty dishes anyway!).
    I have cuppas through the day, a small bowl of veggie soup in the early afternoon, and my chicken and veggie miso soup in the evening.

You must be fasting today! Good wishes!

Lisa, did you get something organised for the evening to help you get through the whole of your fast day? I do hope so.
    Congratulations on the kilo lost. Half a kilo a week is the classic 5:2 loss! Nice and steady. Gives your body time to adjust.
    I was a bit slower, thanks to being so inactive I presume, but ofcourse I got here in the end!

Oops Kiwi! I hope it was a nice dinner though. I will be fasting with you tomorrow and hopefully that will be a successful fast day.

Good luck with your planting LJoyce. I’m staying home this weekend too. As always!

As well as day-after-fast-day, today is my day-before-fast-day, I’ll be enjoying that along with you Thin and Kiwi and all the other Sunday fasters.

Now it is time for coffee.

Good morning all,

Just quickly wanted to let you know we arrived in Osaka safely. OH was waiting for us and we were able to catch the earlier train straight to Kyoto which meant we arrived at a better time.

Airline food is really not the best when you are 5:2ing. Even the vegetarian options were not that healthy. I ended up with the chicken which was roast chicken thigh with vegetables, which was the better option for sure.

A quick stop in a local Isakaya when we arrived for a winddown drink and late night snack. Edamame was on the menu but with a slightly different flavour of yuzu pepper. I tried a “Red eye” beer which was a tomato beer. OH did not want to try this but I thought it was quite nice.

Today we off on an adventure to Kibune to view the autumn leaves. Our original plan was to go to Ohara, but the receptionist at our accommodation advised the autumn leaves there have not fully changed colour and we may be disappointed. Hence the change to plan B. Kibune is in the mountains north of Kyoto. It will take over an hour to get there, but it is a wonderful little village.

Have a great day everyone!!

Morning SHs,

It’s mid-morning and I’m exhausted – 2 hours of digging is responsible. Unfortunately a lot of plants had to be moved so I could dig the holes for the new hedging plants, so I moved about 30 calla lily plants, a rose bush and 3 salvias. Then I dug 3 half-metre holes for the pittosporums. I still have at least 4 more to dig but they can wait until tomorrow. I’m grateful that even though the weather is warm, it’s overcast – I don’t last long gardening with the sun on me.

JJulie, glad the flight went well. Enjoy your trip to the mountains today.

Cinque, it seems your fast day went well as usual. I’m doing one today as tomorrow isn’t an option.

I made a different version of chilli con carne last night. Instead of dried borlotti or kidney beans I used a bag each of frozen broad beans and edamame beans. I shelled the edamames and skinned the broad beans. The final chilli was very nice – the green legumes are a different texture and sweeter than dried beans (especially the broad beans). Thankfully they didn’t cause the bloating that I’ve been experiencing with my usual dried pulses which is a real plus. It’s a good thing it tasted nice as I have a rather large pot of it in the fridge – some for more meals and some for freezing. Thankfully it’s quite low calorie, so I can have some as a fast day meal as well. Most meals that include minced beef I “dilute” with minced veggies – mushrooms, onion, eggplant, carrot, zucchini. Once it’s all cooked together you can’t tell what’s meat and what’s veg. I actually prefer the flavour as I’m not a big fan of beef.

Hope you all have a lovely Saturday.

Hi all,
    Just logging in briefly to “woman up” and record my weight after 2nd FD – 65.8kg. Down just 100gms which is just a little drink of water really but a down is a down. Had nothing till 5pm except water and peppermint tea, and a little lick of salt. At 5pm a hot almond milk drink, then at 6.30pm miso soup with asian fish balls, carrot, mushroom and zucchini, a small portion of mandarin and blueberries after that. Now to keep on track with not over eating on my nonFDs till Monday.

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Hey Joffy,
    Are you holidaying in the usual place this summer?
    Merry

I empathise with you and the digging LJ. Where’s Penguin when you need him?

Caro, laughing at the palms gradually rising to reveal the neighbours over the years. Yes, lillipillies are another name for pittosporum.

Merry, all you need is a trend down. Had you not fasted, it could have been 400gms up – so let’s consider it a half kilo loss! How do you like my maths?

JJulie, thanks for popping in. I’m with your husband, that tomato beer sounds horrid – but good for you for trying something new. Enjoy the autumn leaves. I use airline travel days as 24hr fast days. It gives you a good head start and, frankly, you’re not missing much.

Cinque, when I read your post earlier I thought there’s no excuse for dishes on the bench when she has a brand new dishwasher. But now that I’ve pulled tomorrow’s FD items from the freezer, I see that they’re all in containers that require hand-washing.

YoungLisa, good start with a kilo dropped.

You too GDSA, what an amazing diet you’re on. I thought of you yesterday as DD needed something pink to dress up as a pig for their final day of lectures ever. The entire year group dressed as animals. I knew I had a pink mini skirt stashed in the spare bedroom; who knows why I’ve kept it – for 35 years! Anyway, I was amazed to find that I could zip it up – with me in it – and fasten the button! Even more amazed to discover that it was a size NINE. Don’t worry, with my OA knees and advanced age, I have no intention of wearing it but it was fun to know that I could.

Hi Stay, Kiwi, Arel, everyone. Where you be, CalifD? Minka?

I’ll see the Sunday fasters tomorrow!

Good afternoon everyone,

Cinque thank you for the good wishes for yesterday but I ended up breaking my FD at about 3:50! Got thinking about my yummy macadamias and cashews and just couldn’t resist! Not going to beat myself up though cause I still did 2 FDs and exercised 5 days – a good week all in all!

Thin – glad you got a laugh out of it! Good to know the botanical name for the lillipillies. I like gardening although I don’t get to do it much these days due to back problems. I relate to LJ digging holes! I used to work for a handyman building sheds, tree lopping, laying concrete etc as well as building fences – plenty of hole digging in that job! PS. Great that you can fit into that mini skirt!

Bye for now!

Hi Everyone!

I had been traveling for business on Wednesday and Thursday, and mostly busy preparing on Tuesday. I got home last night. I did my FD Monday and today since I had a business lunch yesterday. We ended up with sushi bento boxes that probably weren’t too bad in terms of calories, but then I ate at home at night. My FD today was an easy one. I seem to be going up and down a kg or 2 this week. I was right at 61 this morning. Want to get back in the 50’s again. NFD are my problem lately.

Julie, hope you’re having a wonderful time in Japan.

Cinque, hope you’re feeling better. Thin and LJoyce, love all the talk about plants. I wish some of those you mentioned would grow here. We’re a little colder in the winter.

I shredded 5 heads of cabbage on Tuesday and put them in a crock to ferment. I had them sitting on the counter for 3 days until I got around to doing it, so hope they didn’t get too dried out. After removing the outer leaves they looked ok. But when I checked today it wasn’t as fizzy as it usually gets in the first few days. I added a cup of brine because it was barely covered. Usually there is plenty of liquid from the cabbage itself without having to add any. That was probably the result of having it out while I procrastinated. I hope it ferments ok. It’s been over 6 months since I’ve had home fermented sauerkraut.

Cali – that is an awful lot of cabbage, but I guess it keeps well once fermented. I hope you had a food processor to help with all that shredding.

I’ve just finished my FD with an excellent nectarine – I didn’t expect them to be that good this early in the season.

I’ve had a productive afternoon packing china and glassware into moving boxes with lots of bubble wrap. I’m starting to get a better idea of just how many things I have – all of which will need to be packed eventually.

LJoyce, it keeps for months in the crock but continues to get more sour. I usually transfer whatever is left after 6 weeks or so to Mason jars and store them in the frig so the fermentation pretty much stops. We eat it from the crock until then, carefully recovering it to keep it submerged.

I sliced it by hand on the cutting board, didn’t really shred it. I also added caraway seed which we all like. There are so many good probiotics in kraut. We eat it at room temperature because heating it kills a lot of the good stuff.

It is Sunday morning in warm, grey Melbourne, the days are getting hotter.

JJulie, lovely you could pop in from Japan!

Merry, down IS down, so cheers for you.

Thin, that pink mini skirt! Woot!!!! Yes, the situation calls for multiple exclamation marks.
    I do hope DD had a great time with the end of the final exam!

LJoyce I hope you were able to finish that very active Fast Day with a big rest and a refreshing sleep. And a wonderful feeling of being super productive!
    And what a clever chili recipe!

Caro, I can imagine that having that extra day means a third fast day is a bonus, but as long as you get the 2 done you are on track. I love nuts and they are VERY moreish.

I also love lillipillies! If we found one whose tannin wasn’t too strong we loved picking and eating the ripe ones, or making lillipilly jam (like crab apple jam), when my daughter was little.
    (On the other hand, I hate phitinias.)

Cali, how much difference those few days made to the cabbage juice! I hope it still turns out wonderful. I really hope I manage to make kimchi this summer. Do you think the story is true that Ghenghis Khan brought fermented cabbage to Europe? We will be working either end of the geography in the US and Australia instead of Mongolia and Germany!

I am pretty well recovered from feeling worse (the terminology of the chronically ill!) and will test it today by going and minding grandchildren this afternoon. It is my lovely Sunday fast day and little misses 1 and 3 will keep my mind off my grumbly tummy.

Best wishes to every single on of you for a good day, fasting or not, or end of a good day for those in other timezones!

I’m off to put mushrooms to soak, ready for my miso soup this evening. 🙂

Morning Sunday fasters and other losers, maintainers and lurkers,

I was up at 5am this morning so decided to get the walk out of the way before it got too hot. On return, I did a bit of gardening & erected the shade sails in the trees above the bobtail enclosure. Even they find it too hot at 36C. Now enjoying an almond & coconut milk coffee under cover on the patio and the resident willy wagtail is strutting its stuff on my hammock.

LJ, you really mean business with the house sale this year. You will not have time to eat with all those pre-moving chores. I continue to de-clutter but it never seems to create any free space. We have a verge collection this week so have prepared a few things to sneakily put out when OH is at work.

Good to see you back CalifD, that’s a lot of cabbage. I just harvested my kefir but failed to get any interest from OH.

Caro, don’t forget to feast along with all those fasting days!

Cinque, have a lovely day with the little ones. Make sure they tidy up their own toys while you have your feet up! I’m having a poached egg, asparagus and smoked salmon for dinner, 195 cals including 1tbs dill & lime yoghurt dressing.

Viewing 50 posts - 13,601 through 13,650 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.