Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,904 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  Lindsay L. 4 hours, 29 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 13,651 through 13,700 (of 28,008 total)

• I now have 6 large holes dug, ready to go and buy plants tomorrow.
    I also transplanted 2 of the camelias into large pots as they were going to get in the road of the new hedge. It’s hot and humid here today – not great weather for digging but I certainly worked up a sweat. I’ve had a long shower and just broke my fast with a bowl of muesli with kefir & banana. It was just what I felt like.

My FD went well yesterday, today is meant to be a controlled day but I have a friend coming for afternoon tea so we’ll see how I go. I have NAS sourdough fruit & walnut rolls that I was going to toast & butter for afternoon tea. If that’s all I eat it will be fine, but if my friend shows up with food too then it will be a whole lot more challenging. I don’t have other social events this week so if today needs to be my “free” day for the week I can do that. But I’m trying to teach myself that just because I have a social event that involves food, it doesn’t mean I have to go over my TDEE that day. I have a habit of always putting those two thing together unfortunately.

Cinque & Thin – sounds like you’ve got your FD under control already. I’ll probably do a FD tomorrow.

Congratulations to everyone who lost weight this week – GDSA, Merry, Lisa, Joffy, and anyone else I’ve missed – I’ve been struggling to keep up with the posts over the last week.

It’s Christmas pageant day in my town today – all the local businesses build a float on the back of a truck or trailer and drive it slowly up the main street. I feel sorry for those is costumes as the heat and humidity will make it very unpleasant. My cousin has to dress up as she works for a local dentist – she’s not looking forward to it, but her 4 year old grand-daughter is extremely excited to see her Nana on a float.

Have a nice Sunday.

Afternoon All,

Thin, don’t worry, I most certainly feast! I love the weekend when I get 2 days in a row to eat and I also do most of my cooking. Your enclosure sounds like a wonderful place to have a cool drink.

Cinque – yes the extra day is good but I don’t always make it. I originally weighed 86kgs but making it to 68.8kgs is good. Still have a way to go! I’m glad you’re feeling better.

Cali – your sauerkraut sounds yummy and there is nothing like eating stuff you’ve grown.

Hope everyone is having a lovely Sunday! xo

Good to know I’m on the right track Cinque!
    I got through my evening by going to bed at 7.30 and leaving the kids to sort themselves out! I was surprisingly not hungry in the morning.

LJoyce I’m tired just reading your posts! 😉
    I have decided to try 3 FDs ie Mon/Wed/Fri for a while to see if I can hack it.
    I’ll need to lift my game and find some tasty but easy recipes, as I’ve been basically eating the same soups and salads all the time, and that will get old pretty quickly if it’s 3 times a week!
    Hope everyone has had a great weekend.

Hi everyone
    I’ve been checking out some other forums on this site, in the last week ie basics for newbies; warnings, etc. Lots of fabulous information & now feel better ready to manage this WOL & get my bad habits well & truly sorted – lol. I’m sure there’ll be mishaps along the way but I’ll enjoy it anyway! In the last 5 weeks, last Thursday was the 1st FD I didn’t give in & have a couple of lollies after dinner – it felt good!
    Congrats to all those who lost weight this week – happy for you
    JustJulie: have a great time in Japan – your itinerary sounds wonderful
    LJoyce: found the Chang noodles, yet to use same. Enjoy your new earrings. Fruit & nut sourdough sounds yummy – do you make your own. Hope you enjoyed all your hard work in the garden & you see results soon.
    Cinque: thank you for the yoga DVD trailer – Wai Lana East Series Workout is still available, I will order same on your recommendation – thanks again. Love hearing about your grandchildren – mine are teenagers, doing there own thing & enjoying life, love them dearly. Hope you feel better soon.
    Thin: I fasted on Friday this week – made veggie soup for the freezer to use on FDs – will be good not to have to think too hard on FDs. This week will be Mon & Wed, as going on coach trip Thurs. Do you use milk or water kefir – I have milk kefir granules in the freezer; have to reintroduce them to my new WOE.
    Gday: enjoy your very busy social life, have a great time
    Stay: a new doctor with a different attitude & mindset can be a blessing in sorting out our health concerns – hope all is well. Also hope you enjoyed Phillip Island – lovely place to be
    Sorry if I’ve missed anyone. I agree with Caro – this is a very supportive forum & lots of information is shared – thank you all. Bye for now

Arelkade – I do often make my own bread, although the sourdough fruit & walnut rolls were bought from the Central produce market. Although I don’t eat a lot of bread I do have it 2-3 days a week and I like dense high fibre breads with strong grainy flavours – it’s not easy to find really good breads so I often bake myself. Not something I eat on FDs though.

Kiwi – I was feeling pretty tired after the digging, but I’ve recovered now.
    I did 3 FDs a week for a while when I was losing weight on 5:2. For me it was difficult because I struggled to stay under my TDEE on the NFDs and when I put more FDs into my week it seem to drive me to eat more on the NFDs. However I know it works for some people. If you don’t have a problem with binge eating then the extra FD might work well.
    There is another forum on this site for the SH group to post FD recipes that you might find useful: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/
    Like you, I also have salads and soups on FDs, but I have some other staples which can feel varied, depending on the veg you use:
    – omelettes, (made mostly with eggwhite and one whole egg), flavoured with a little parmesan and filled with veg.
    – sirfrys, made with any suitable veg (I also keep a bag of mixed asian veg in the freezer in case I have no energy or time to prepare veg). I add protein as chicken, prawns, squid, cashews or satay sauce. I also sometimes add konjac noodles. Depending on the sauce you use the flavour can change dramatically.
    – curries, made from mostly vegetables. For protein I add pulses, meat, chicken or paneer. Sometimes I make the curry with just veg, but serve it with a large dollop of greek yoghurt.
    – griddled or BBQ vegetables. Eggplant and zucchini I slice into 1cm thick slices. Capsicum I cut into wide stips, large mushrooms I trim the stem so they sit flat. Broccolini, asparagus and green beans I blanch and then grill them. Roma tomatoes ca just be sliced in half. I find that 3 veg in enough variety to feel like a meal. I put a little flavoured oil or olive oil spray on the veg and whatever spice blends or herbs I fancy. Sometimes I add a small amount of chicken, turkey, haloumi o prawns to the grill plate as well. Leftovers will reheat for another hot meal, or they can be used to create a salad.

Hope those of you fasting had an easy day today.

Hi Everyone!

Thin, I thought I’d killed my kefir grains by letting them languish in a jar of milk for at least 3 weeks. But strained them out Friday and put them some fresh milk and out on the counter and they were as good as new. They’re fermenting another batch which should be ready today. It goes slower when it’s cooler in the house.

Caro, I didn’t grow the cabbage, just fermenting it. BTW, I added a cup of brine (1 cup water and 1-1/4 tsp of salt a couple days ago because the liquid was barely covering the top. Today, there is much more liquid, more than the cup I added, so it must have been drawn from the cabbage. It also tastes mildly sour, so it’s fermenting. It’ll probably be at least another week before it’s sour enough to start eating.

Stay, hope your trip to Philip’s Island was fun. I Googled it and saw that they have little penguins there. I never realized that penguins were native to any areas that didn’t have sub zero temperatures. Do they live anywhere else in Aus?

Cinque, that yoga DVD looks really good. I see they have it for sale on Amazon. Now I have to decide if I would actually use it if I bought it. I’m famous for buying exercise videos that I never get around to using. But this one does look very good.

Kiwi, doing 3 FD per week can get old pretty quickly. I’m worried that fasting every other day during the week would make this way of living too rigid and make it feel like a diet. I also worry that it could slow down your metabolism, even though some say that isn’t long enough to make that happen. I occasionally throw in a 3rd day when I’ve had a few days of uncontrolled eating, or when I have a special occasion coming up where I want to look as thin as possible. It does result in additional weight loss. But if I had to fast for 3 days every week the 5:2 would feel like a completely different thing. It would be drudgery and I’m afraid I’d give up on it after a while. 5:2 is sustainable for me. 2 days isn’t that big a deal. Since I discovered 5:2 in early May, I’ve always done the fast days, no matter what. Weight loss is sometimes slow, averaging about a pound per week or less, but it’s dependable. I’m close to my goal of 58. I see myself following this way of eating even after goal because it’s doable and flexible. Counting calories more than 2 days per week wouldn’t be, at least for me.

Our maintainers on this thread, Thin, Cinque, GDSA, and LJoyce have been maintaining for a long time on the “Naked 5:2”. It works for them and they all had quite a bit of weight to lose at one time. I trust and follow their example.

Good morning all,

Arel, I use milk kefir grains. Intesha, who’s a sometime poster now, uses water kefir. CalifD, I’m glad yours revived OK. Agree with all you said about fasting two days vs. three. Not that I’ve ever been moved to practice three FDs but, due to moving days around once in a blue moon, I have done alternate day fasting. I found myself over-compensating on that one NFD in between.

Today, for the first time, I was thinking about the use of Monday as a FD. Not for me, but just considering the many people who practice a Mon/Thurs regime. This was Dr M.’s routine and I think a lot of people followed his lead making it the most popular fasting routine. But today I started wondering – Monday has always had a bad rap being the first day of the traditional work week, a day not necessarily looked forward to as compared to, say, Friday. For those struggling with completing a FD, I’m wondering then, is Monday actually a good choice of FD? Just a thought.

Thin, I usually fast on Monday for that very reason. There’s usually nothing else going on other than recovering from the weekend. (And working, so I’m occupied.) And the weekend is when I’m more likely to overeat, so it puts a stop to that.

CalifD, yes I can see the merit in choosing a FD that’s the least likely to get sabotaged. Sunday is one of my FDs simply because, when we decided to start 5:2, I thought if this is going to be the end of making excuses, then why not start today, which happened to be a Sunday. I’ve come to love it because it means only one day of the weekend can become an over-indulgence.

Caro, I meant to comment on your 18kg loss too. Great achievement. I was 87kg at my worst and now 60kg so I’m familiar with the range you’ve descended.

Morning to you too Cinque. Glad you had a happy day with the babies. Ooops, and that makes two posts already and I haven’t even been for the walk yet.

Good morning Thin,
    Didn’t manage a tidying up session with the grandies as we were outside with me trying to keep the little one’s hat on (impossible) while holding onto her as she practiced going down the steps (rows of them in their apartments’ outside area) holding baby doll and the green ball, while the three year old was being ‘fireman Josie’ and calling on me to help her put out fires. You will be glad to know that all the fires were put out and the little one survived! I am Super Grandma!
    We are looking for a hat for her that we can do up under her chin (but not with velcro, she has mastered undoing that).

It made for a good fast day! And it was a low kitchen clutter day as I wasn’t at the end of containers! You are right, it is the handwash things that pile up!

I am impressed by your outside activities Thin, as well as LJoyce’s!
    I hope the Christmas Pageant was fun, LJoyce, especially for the 4 year old!

Caro that 18 kg gone is wonderful! And it won’t be long before you are 20kg down. Won’t that make for a more pleasant summer!

Ha Lisa, I generally go to bed early on a fast day too. It is probably what we are meant to do, before electronic entertainment and lots of snacks started keeping us up late.

Part 2. (My neighbour was round for our Monday morning cuppa. Todays topic: Christmas madness!)
    And 4 posts up in the meantime!

Kiwi, I hope you find some useful recipes on that SH recipe thread LJoyce linked, and if you find recipes elsewhere, and they work well, do add them to the thread!

Good luck trying the three days of fasts, you can be comfortable in the knowledge that if they are too hard, or don’t work well, you simply go back to 5:2. But I hope they give you the boost you want.

Arelkade, it will be so good if you can break that habit of giving in to lollies at the end of your fast days. Hooray that you managed it last time! What do you think is going on? That dreadful sugar addiction, or not having enough of a meal planned?
    I have managed to get through the fast-day-evening-temptations by knowing that I am nearly at the end and I can eat whatever I want the next morning, but that hasn’t worked for you?
    I am glad it felt so good to have finally completed a fast. Here is your medal: http://m.rgbimg.com/cache1nJSx4/users/z/ze/zela/600/miTZyMU.jpg Ooh look, there are two of them!

I do so hope you enjoy the Wai Lana dvds as much as I do!
    You too, if you decide to get it Cali. ….But don’t buy it if it is just going to sit with your other ones! Chuck them all out! (Minimalist Cinque speaking here).

Cali, what a great paragraph you wrote for Kiwi, exactly how I feel about the sustainability of 5:2.

The choice of days is fascinating. I loved getting my Sunday fast because it is generally a quiet day and it feels somehow like a day of meditation, and going slowly, and listening to myself and just ‘being’. That mindfulness stuff. And yet yesterday I was so glad to have a busy afternoon! What a contradiction!

Thin, have a lovely walk! Here I am on my second post too!

Best wishes to everyone!

My finger joints are rather sore today from wielding the shovel over the weekend. My typing style is a bit stiff and slow this morning.
    I’ve gotten a bit of a slow start all round. I need to drive to Mount Barker to order my hedging plants and to also buy some low edging plants for the front of two flower beds, but I haven’t had the energy to get off the couch yet. Must go before it gets much hotter though.

Cali – there are a few penguin species that live it hot or temperate climates. I remember seeing a wildlife program about one species that lived on the coast of Africa. Australia has one native species of penguin – the little penguin (also sometimes called fairy penguins). In my state the most well known are the fairy penguins on Granite Island (I tiny outcrop that is connected to Victor Harbour by a bridge.) Although these are officially “little penguins”, we’ve always called them fairy penguins here. This is actually the same penguin breed that lives on Phillip Island and there are colonies around the southern coast of Australia and New Zealand. I believe it’s the smallest breed of penguin, a full sized adult is only about a foot tall. They are extremely cute.
    http://www.penguins-world.com/little-blue-penguin/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPO4jDfjye4
    When I was a child I remember being taken to Victor Harbour a few times (it’s an easy day trip form Adelaide) to see the penguins and to ride on the horse drawn tram carriage – that was the only way to get to Granite island, other walking. The penguin colony was strong then, but the population has declined dramatically over the last decade and is at risk of dying out completely now.

LJoyce thanks for the recipe link, and Thin thanks for putting up lots of recipes! 🙂
    CalifD and Cinque I promise I’ll just try 4:3 for a couple of weeks and then see.
    It’s very hard in this house, I live with my sister who is an “emotional eater” like me. She is where I was a year ago, so constantly has lollies/chocolate/biscuits etc around. Her husband, my bro-in-law has the worst diet you could imagine, he is American and eats meat, potatoes and junk food. He always seems to have a waffle or a pizza for dinner on my fast days, so I have those smells tormenting me!
    Because it’s not my house I don’t have much control over the fridge, freezer or pantry, hence why I tend to live on low calorie foil soup packs and pre-cut salads on my fast days!
    Sorry, very whingey, I’m lucky that they gave me a roof over my head when life went a bit pear-shaped, just miss having my own cooking schedule.
    Right, off to distract myself by giving the dog a bath, and cutting the daggy bits around her bum! Glam eh? 😉

Hi KiwiOB, I don’t envy you living with other people’s unhealthy foods. I only manage by keeping certain foods out of the house completely.
    If you are able to cook and use some freezer space, then I’d recommend making a couple of FD recipes that freeze well and putting single serve portions into the freezer. Then FD meals are just a microwave away.
    You might also find a FD recipe that your sister & B-I-L like, even if your portion is smaller or contains a smaller portion of meat. It would be good if there was at least one meal that you could all eat together and that you could cook for everyone. It’s not good feeling excluded from from family meals when on a diet – I think it makes it hard to stick to.

Hello again,
    Kiwi, I can’t imagine a more difficult situation (although having a few kids comes close). All power to you getting your healthy eating habits going all week through: fast days and non fast days.
    I bet you will gradually work out your most important needs as to fridge and freezer and pantry, and hopefully they will be ones your sister and BIL can accommodate.

Hmm, just realised, doing this while homeless would be even harder. I am so glad they were able to help you out. And you will the best possible housemate by being healthier so you are doing them a favour too.

Ooh yes, I meant to mention fairy penguins (name change when ‘fairy’ was such a derogatory term for gay men). I remember going down to Phillip Island 50 years ago when we would stand on the beach with torches to watch them come in. There was one street light there. Now it is all lit with barriers and coach area and announcements in English and Chinese. Then when I was living in St Kilda in my late teens the colony was discovered there, it was so amazing that they were in the middle of Melbourne, and every one was sworn to secrecy, to keep them safe. (They aren’t a secret any more). http://stkildapenguins.com.au/skp/?p=656

Motto for this month: Food makes a good servant but a bad master!

LJoyce, thank you for the links to the penguin photos and video. I should have guessed that Australia would have a few penguins hidden somewhere. 😁 You have so many beautiful and unusual birds, I should have guessed. It was fun to see them walking about on the video. They really are small and cute. Why is the population dying out? Is it too much development? In most of the world, that seems to be the problem with birds and animals.
    The YouTube video went into another about Victor Harbor where they were talking about the area and the horses and animals. I liked hearing them talk. When I read your posts here, I always imagine all of you speaking with an American accent. I have to stop and realize that all, or most of you speak with an Australian accent like the people in the video. Maybe not thin, since she grew up in the UK. But living in Aus for so long, perhaps she’s picked up the local accent too?

It’s interesting because there are so many accents around the world and regional accents in the US. When I travel back to the Midwest where I grew up, people tell me, “You don’t sound like you’re from here.” I guess they sound a little different than I remember from when I lived there too. People in our southern states have an accent that I love. The “y’alls” sounds so friendly. “Hey, when y’all going to come back here?” The Australian accent sounds friendly to my ears as well. It always makes me think of Steve Irwin. He was much loved by everyone here too.

Kiwi, you don’t sound whiny to me. It’s difficult when junk food is in the house and access to it is easy. It’s certainly easier when you have control over what comes in. We all have to learn to resist because junk food seems to be everywhere. You can’t turn on the TV here without seeing a commercial for something that looks wonderful, gooey, and probably contains about a gazillion empty calories!
    I didn’t mean to imply that fasting 3 days per week as opposed to 2 is a bad thing. I think fasting in general is good for just about everyone. I just want to see you succeed. I have been on way too many diets over the years where I’ve lost a bunch of weight by counting calories or carbs, or eliminating a food group or two, only to gain it all back and then some when the diet ended. The best part of 5:2 is that it doesn’t have to end. When I ask myself, “Could I eat this way for always?” the answer is yes. Of course I could. It’s not difficult to fast for 2 days a week because I’m still eating enough that I don’t feel starved on 500 calories. And it’s only 2 days. There are a couple daysvbetween those 2 days. To me, it doesn’t feel like a diet. I would like for you to feel that way too. If 3 days works for you, then go for it. But do something that you can stick with. Weight loss is about doing whatever works, long term. Losing weight and then going back to the way you were, doing what you always did doesn’t make sense. You would just end up back where you were.

Cali – I think some populations of little penguins are doing well, it’s just the colony on granite island that’s diminishing. It’s not development, because nobody lives on granite island. However due their small size rats will kill the young and dogs and feral cats can kill the adults. Dogs are banned from the island, but it’s not patrolled. The island is only about 100m off shore and there is a permanent bridge between the mainland and the island. So it’s easy for predators to walk across. They also had a problem with disease that wiped out 100s in a few seasons. I think it’s been mismanaged by the state government and local council. When you consider it was part of the tourist draw to Victor Harbour I don’t understand why they wouldn’t protect it as an asset. I suspect that nobody invests until the problem is dire.

LJ, all the talk of Victor Harbour has got me nostalgic about our dingo again. You’ll remember that’s where we found her starving in some bushes. I do hope she hadn’t contributed to the demise of the gorgeous fairy penguin population. The morning after her first night on the road with us, we let her out of the campervan and she caught a rabbit within 5 seconds. I’d never seen a dog move that fast before. We hadn’t even spotted the poor rabbit.

Kiwi, I’m glad you might be able to make use of the recipes I posted. When I started 5:2 in August ’14, my skinny OH kindly agreed to fast with me for support. As he’s one that eats by the clock and is constantly snacking (also American by co-incidence), I put a lot of effort into devising three ‘meals’ a day on FDs so he wouldn’t feel hungry. It was a big challenge but, in the process, I accumulated a lot of recipes comprising 2-300 cals.

I felt awful for you as I read your post yesterday. I am responsible for food preparation for OFMs, which is a bit different to your situation, nevertheless it’s an ongoing challenge to feed them on FDs. My OH stuck with 6:1 for 11 months which was amazing to me but he gave up once I’d nearly reached my goal weight and he saw that I was well established with fasting and could do it alone. If you have access to the kitchen, I recommend preparing some FD meals and freezing them in portions, then as LJ said, they’re only a microwave away.

Another strategy is that, if you can find FD ‘meals’ that your sister and BIL enjoy, you can offer to cook on FDs. You can give them double portions, add veggies, rice and dinner rolls to bulk theirs up. As I no longer eat pizza, pasta or rice, I sometimes give my OFMs a pasta dish or pizza on my FDs. I don’t find this hard as a FD is a FD is a FD for me and I’m very rigid about sticking to them.

You’ll find that, as you lose weight, people around you start to take your fasting more seriously. One of my neighbours remarked this week how it was incredible that I had never faltered in over three years of fasting and that I was ‘still going’. I told her it was a small price to pay for maintaining a healthy weight and eliminating a range of potential health risks. Put that in your pipe, you pizza and waffle eaters!

Which brings me to Arel. Well done for getting through a FD last week. How’s it going this week? Get rid of those lollies Arel! Are you the shopper? If so, don’t buy any food-like substances. If others are bringing it in, have a talk to them about supporting you on your FDs. My OFMs agreed not to make toast on my FDs when I started fasting. I don’t think it would bother me now but it’s a rule they still stick to so I’m keeping quiet.

I wish you both well. Even if the people around you aren’t supportive, the people here are! So post regularly and you can do it.

Hi to Cinque and CalifD and everyone else. I’ve run out of time. Have a good day all.

Good morning 5:2ers,

Check – in: now don’t laugh, 65.7kgs, down 100mg, for the second time! I think I know why, but no time to explain atm.

Merry
    Also on maintainence, just struggling with an Annus Horribulus this year and very happy 5:2 is helping me limit the stress eating, and very happy to have started this year at my goal weight.

Down 200gms for the week. A down is a down Yay!

Onwards and Downwards

Hi Everyone
    Good on you Merry, a down is always a down!

I dont like to fast on Mondays as I can usually do a very good NFD and still lose weight after the weekend’s excesses. Then Im motivated to fast on Tuesdays, except every 2nd Tuesday I have a women’s morning that includes cake, so every 2nd week I have to do a Monday.

I also have 5 or 3 OFM i have to cook for or eat with. I find it easier to completely fast until dinner time and then have a low cal meal. Tonight it is bolonaise sauce and ill have a little with zoodles and my daughter probably will too but others can have pasta. Then i dont have to listen to the “why aren’t you eating ?” routine and explain 5:2 again and they dont even know that I haven’t eaten all day.

We had a great day and a half away with really lovely people and then 3 things to go to on Sunday which involved food and wine so my scales were up 1.6kg on Monday but down this morning by 600 grams. Today is my FD and I haven’t eaten anything yet and its now 3pm. I do have Pilates tonight so I won’t eat until I get home at about 8.45pm. I knew November would be a difficult month so I may fast 3 days this week.

I have the 2 granddaughters today and we went to Seville Water Park for fun in the water and the sandpit. They were both really good when it came time to leave (after 2 hours) and now the younger is having a nap. Im letting the older one watch some TV so I can relax a bit haha

Have a great/day evening everyone

Thanks everyone for the moral support, I will keep soldiering on. I just tell myself that lollies are a waste of calories, if I’m going to eat something sweet I want it to have fibre or protein or vitamins or all of the above! 😉
    Yesterday was a good FD, but last night was hard because I was awake 3/4 of the night, and annoyed and bored. Still, managed not to go in search of food, even though I still had about 200 cals left. Yay me! 😉

Good afternoon fellow 5:2ers,
    FD today, I am a Tuesday and Thursday kind of guy. I was a Mon-Thurs bloke but I enjoyed listening to and watching the football review shows on a Monday with a beer so I changed my FD to Tuesday. It is important to choose your FD’s carefully. I have my kids every weekend and tend to have less beer when they are around and I have to drive often to outings so no FD’s on the weekend. Then there is athletics training on Wednesday so home late couple of beers then dinner so no FD’s on Wednesdays and basketball on Friday until 9pm at times. As you can see I tend to think about when I might be having a beer and by doing these little changes it helps keep the over indulgences down in the beer department.

Thinatlast’s naked 5:2ing is all about getting your two FD’s in order sticking to them. Get this sorted first and you will be on the right path. On non FD’s not counting calories but learning control, portion size, you don’t need to have the kids leftovers, wait 30mins after eating your main meals you will not be hungry then even though your portions are a bit smaller. Watch for snacking. With kids in the house treats are often around so I have moved to getting the box of small chip packets, the pack of individual chocolates instead of a block that way you aren’t tempted to eat a couple of rows of chocolate or a large bag of chips. You will over indulge at sometime just try to keep it to a minimum.

Kiwiozbrit it is true your senses are heightened when fasting, I can smell all my neighbours dinners on a FD. When I do have a FD whilst cooking for my kids it can be quite empowering to make them dinner then put a pot of soup on the stove. They just ask is it your starving day? They are very supportive and as long as it doesn’t affect them they don’t really care.

Merryme I am going to the same place for holidays we will have to catch up again, show you my skinny ankles Haha.

Cinque you took the glory, I was going to mention the St.Kilda pier penguins, I have seen them on the beaches down near the Twelve Apostles hiding under the cliffs.

Meals for the day:
    2 x white coffee’s 300kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans 400kj, 150g mushrooms 175kj Total 1675kj or 400 cals.

Hi fellow SH’s
    Hope you all enjoyed your day, be it FD or NFD.
    Cinque: I’ve ordered the yoga DVD, should be here in 2 to 3 weeks.Thanks for your well wishes & the medal/s (lovely surprise)- I’ve now done 2 FD without lollies. Feels good getting into bed knowing I’ve ‘done it properly’, effort may be in the results, OH very supportive. I tend to buy marella jubes as a ‘just in case’ – really can do without them though!
    Thin: Just restarted my milk kefir grains – hope they’re ok, been in the freezer!
    Stay: hope you had a good outcome with the new GP & your health is ok!
    LJoyce: enjoyed your 12 Nov post – always interested in what others are eating & any suggestions – all sounds delicious. A personal chef would make life easier, but alas…not going to happen lol! Hope your garden gives you pleasure – your shrubs/trees will be the height you want them to be in no time at all.
    Calif: I googled recipe for fermented cabbage – sounds interesting & so simple to make; will have to give it a go – OH has a lovely veggie garden happening
    Caro: well done on 18kg down, must feel so much lighter – I still have that much to lose: each day is a little closer though!
    Kiwi: best wishes for 3 FD’s. I’m sure your happy, clean dog feels much better without a daggy bottom. Our dogs are a real joy.
    Merry: any loss feels good – well done
    Stay: glad you had a good time away
    Joffy: you do have a very busy life; thank you for your tips
    Hope you all enjoy whatever you are doing. Happy fasting & bye for now

I how have hedge planted. After putting the first 3 plants in the holes I’d dug I decided I wasn’t happy with the spacing. So I actually dug more holes so I could put in 7 plants rather than 6. It took me nearly 3 hours to dig, plant, backfill and water in. But it looks good – better than it would have if I’d stick with the previous spacing. I had only purchased 6 plants, but I has a couple of the same plant elsewhere in the garden and one was in an inconvenient spot, so I dug it up and moved it – I’m hoping it survives the experience. I still have lots of little shrubs to put in, but they are small plants so they won’t require nearly as much digging.

After all that work I think I’ve earned my dinner tonight. I have a very small serve of chilli con carne spare, so I’ve added 2 poached eggs on top and called it huevos rancheros.

Arelkade and KiwiOB, well done on trying to break the lolly habit. I find that the little sweet treats were a habit and it’s so easy to justify it by looking only at the calories. I used to do similar things, and it took time to change all those unhelpful behaviour patterns but I found that without all those “extras” it actually helped me to make better food choices with other things too. It also avoids the risk of stimulating my appetite with sugar, which increases insulin.

Joffy, if FDs and beer days work for you then go for it.

Stay, I agree with your comments about being able to do a very controlled NFD after a day of excess. My excesses aren’t confined to weekends an I always used to follow high cal days with a FD until I realised just what you said. If I did a NFD instead and then still did my 2 FDs that week, I actually had a better week, with more days of controlled eating.

Merry, if your weight is heading downward when life is throwing you lemons you are doing well. In those circumstances I always seems to gain weight. Please don’t be disheartened, I think you are doing well in the circumstances.

LJoyce, I am very impressed with all of your landscaping work! That’s a lot of holes to dig, especially after you dug them a few days ago. I hope all the exercise makes you feel good. It’s always hard to estimate spacing of plants until you see them where they’re going to be. It sounds like you’re happy with where they are now, so it was worth all the effort.

Arel, sugar in the form of candy always seems to sabotage my eating habits. I have to stay away from it because it just isn’t worth it to me. Fruit, on the other hand, doesn’t seem to set me off, probably because it has more fiber.
    I’ll be interested to hear how your kefir turned out after freezing the grains. I’ve never tried that but have been curious. How long were they frozen? Did you freeze them in a little milk?

Jolly, it sounds like you have a good FD schedule that works for you. I think that’s what is nice about the 5:2, that it’s flexible and can be changed as needed to fit your schedule.

Kiwi, I often have restless nights on FD. I think it’s because we have more energy when we’re eating less. Fortunately, I slept well last night which was the end of a FD.

Why is it that we can feel hungry, or at least anxious about food at the end of a FD and then not feel hungry at all the next morning?

Hi to thin, Cinque, Stay and everyone else reading and posting here.

Hi Everyone,
    Too hot here, all of a sudden, and either hayfever, or another cold coming on. Sigh.
    I almost made today a fast day, but then I remembered I am out of miso and organised to go to Friends of the Earth tomorrow with my good friend, as we both need more.
    So a sensible eating non fast day instead, and my ‘starving day’ tomorrow.

Kiwi, Yay You!
    Sorry for the insomnia though, I hope that was a one off.

LJoyce, I hope your sore fingers have settled down! And you are digging more holes! So impressive!

Yes I have an Australian accent, Cali, and I have friend from California so I imagine you talking like her, even though that isn’t your origin! (But she has lived in Melbourne for thirty years so hers has probably changed too!)

Merry, going down in 100g increments! Well, as you say, down is down! I do think you deserve a nice half kilo drop next week though!
    I forgot to say, I loved hearing how you chose your name!

Hi Joffy, it is certainly beer weather, glad you have worked out how to manage it. Oh, I’d love to see some penguins down near the Twelve Apostles!

Arel, congrats on the second fast day sans lollies. I do hope the scales reward you!

Thin, I love to hear your dingo stories, and hope you have a great day fasting today.

Cinque, I’ve lived in California for over 40 years so I probably sound like most Californians, although a lot of people here are from somewhere else. I like hearing different accents. Australian and British are two of my favorites.

Merry and Kiwi, congrats on the weight loss. This time of year it seems like there are so many more temptations in the stores in the form of candy and treats. I have to stop myself from bringing it home. If it’s here, it’s usually me that eats most of it, and it always seems to be later at night that I’m tempted.

We had high winds here through the night and then light steady rain all morning, but my new hedge survived. I was planning to plant the smaller shrubs today but I am still far too sore. I need to give my joints a day or two to calm down before I lift that spade again.

Cinque I’ve been wondering the same thing – is it hayfever or a virus. My nose has been misbehaving for a few days, I’ve needed a claratyne tablet and the rhinocort nasal spray every day. This morning I’m noticing lung congestion which usually means the start of an infection. Fingers crossed we both just have a touch of hayfever.

I’m just drinking my 3rd cup of tea. Haven’t felt like food at all this morning. I’m sure my appetite will make an appearance this afternoon.
    As I’m not gardening today I might get some errands and shopping done.

For some unknown reason my appetite has been AWOL all day – a very rare occurrence. So it’s been an impromptu FD.
    For dinner, I resorted to inspiration from Cinque and made a pot of miso broth which I flavoured with ginger, garlic, tamari and sesame oil. Then I added what I happened to have on hand – swiss brown mushrooms, turkey breast and broccoli. I ended up with such a large pot of soup that I’ve set aside another bowl of miso both soup for a FD later in the week and to the remainder I added some rice noodles – this will be tomorrow’s lunch.

Hope you have all had a good day. It’s been a cool rainy day here. I feel better for taking a day off from gardening today, so I’m hoping I fell ok to get back out there tomorrow so I can take advantage of the rain soaked soil – much easier digging hopefully.

Good morning everyone. MissD and I are in Adelaide for a couple of days for her medical appointments. We arrived yesterday and I’m missing my daily weight in already….lol.

Ive definately over eaten so far, minimal snacking just extremely large portion sizes which seems to be the trend now.

Lunch yesterday was a stonegrill sirloin at the Strathmore Hotel (LJoyce you may know this place on North Tce) so for tea I ordered an entree size main meal at an Italian restaurant and nearly died when I saw the portion size…..if that was entree I cringe to think what the main size would be like.

But in my defence I have clocked up many kms on my fitbit…..yes we shopped till we dropped yesterday afternoon. More high heel shoes for me, 3 pair (yes I’m addicted to pretty shoes) and MissD went crazy in Toyworld and Smiggles.

Medical appointments this morning and then back to the shops. MissD wants to go back to Smiggles and I’m clothes shopping ( yes yes I’m addicted to clothes shopping too). Did I mention we went to Haiges chocolates ? Did I also mention we have to go back again today because……..we ate them all last night…..ooops !!

Leaving early Friday morning, having the usual stop at St Kilda Adventure Playground and then home. I’m sure I will work off a few kgs at the playground.

Ok heres the soppy stuff. OH is depressed…..he’s missing me like crazy (yes I’m missing him big time too). Constant messaging, photo sending and phone calls…..he is so very sweet isn’t he.

Happy Thursday all.

Good morning, especially to early bird Gday!
    Have a wonderful big city day today, and good grief, you lovebirds!

The cool change has got here: it is wet and humid, but so much cooler that I don’t mind. It was an allergy yesterday, it came complete with hives. Luckily this morning they have nearly gone, and I am just a bit sniffly still.

LJoyce, careful that the no appetite isn’t a symptom of pnuemonia!
    But hoping it was just your body telling your digestive system to take a break.

Mine hasn’t been doing that! I’ve been quite hungry and I am glad to be fasting today. That enforced full stop and start again with a fresh page tomorrow. I do love 5:2!

My friend is coming here early this morning and then we will head down to buy miso.

Talking of Miso, the 6 year old cat this time, my neighbour put a cat flap up for her (and me). It is in the window and she isn’t getting the idea very quickly! But it has been 5 days and she has worked out how to go out of it. Looking forward to when she works out how to come in!

Happy day everyone

Good morning, just checking in on a not so frothy Thursday. Sometimes a batch of milk just doesn’t want to co-operate. Anyway, it was a good FD yesterday thanks Cinque and I’m back down to the lower end of my 60-61kg range. Which is a good thing as we have a shareholders’ meeting to attend today and it’s usually a bit of an indulgence. (They have to butter us up so we will approve their obscene remuneration packages.)

Cinque, I know you lost a lot of weight but I’m amazed that you can get through a cat flap.

LJ, I’ve been following your gardening exploits over the last couple of days. Good job. It’s my back that tends to give in first when I do lots of digging.

Always lovely to hear from you Joffy. I bet your children are dead proud of their dad’s weight loss even if they are indifferent to his FDs.

I hope everyone’s doing well and sticking to their FDs admirably?

Quickly off for a walk as 36C is forecast today.

Good morning all you nifty calorie dodgers, all y’all over to the east, and penguin, way over there to the north-west. Are you still out there penguin?

FD for me today – starting at 65.7kgs, hoping to see a bigger drop tomorrow! Yesterday was a big day doing some moving around of stuff, with much sitting and doing nothing later on. A couple of OFM’s have needed some long term TLC, but both are doing well which is a big relief , and my involvement is easing up quite a bit.

Cinque – the mind boggles – I have a cortoon in my head of you half out of the cat door in a window!

Joffy – a bit of ankle viewing in January it is!
    Well done to a year of 20kgs off and you didn’t have to give the beer up totally. You must be confounding a few people’s brains out there.

Ljoyce – good grief woman – are you training for the gardening Olympics? Sounds beautiful – can’t remember all the plants from last year but they must be starting to look lush with spring awakenings.

How are all our newbies going?

Onwards and downwards
    Merry

Hi Everyone

Glad some of your involvement in caring for OFMs is easing up MerryMe. Hope you do see a big drop tomorrow 🙂

Good on you having a good FD yesterday Thin. You made me laugh picturing Cinque in a cat door. (i just re-read Cinques post and she DID say it was for her also lol)

Cinque, I am appreciating the cooler weather but not the rain. It seems to rain on my days at home when I want to mow. I hope all your hives have completely gone x

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time with your DD, Gday. They say ‘absence makes the heart grow fonder’ haha

LJoyce, hope all is well with you not having an appetite. Maybe slow down on the gardening? You have done so much heavy work!

CaliF, where are you originally from?

I had a great FD on Tuesday and yesterday my GF took me out to a winery for lunch. I dont normally have pasta but it was Italian. The food was all delicious and driving my car meant only one wine for me 🙂 (okay as Gday is confessing I will confess to a dark salted chocolate tart with fig and tangelo with whipped cream ..so yum) I would normally have had a small dinner after that but my DD cooked a lovely roast lamb.
    Today is a FD for me. We are going to a small theatre tonight where we apparently sit at tables and can bring wine and cheese… BUT WE will NOT!!. I will bring water and have a cup of coffee they provide at intemission. There Ive said it so i can do it!! Ill have a vegetable soup to fill me up before we go.:)

Hope you all have a great day. Remember those fasting, we can have it tomorrow!
    xx

Good morning folks. I’ve had a bit of a slow start today as I figured out that my symptoms are definitely a lung infection. I’ve started antibiotics this morning. I might have another day off the gardening until I feel a bit better. I have to get more peastraw so I’ll drive out to Mylor this afternoon and order that. Hopefully by the time it’s delivered I’ll be healthy enough to deal with it.

Stay, hope you enjoy the theatre. I like the idea of a venue where you can sit at a table with food & drink while watching a theatre performance. I did that once, a long time ago, in Paris but never in Australia.

Merry, good luck with the FD, I hope you get more than 100g loss this time.
    Yes, the things I planted last year have grown on really well – some of them a bit too well and I’ve had to do some thinning. The main thing I have to change is autumn colour – I had originally planned to sell the house in spring and chose plants accordingly, now I need some autumn flowers – which I’m adding with salvias and several daisy varieties.
    I was also wondering about Penguin. I even checked his profile – he hasn’t posted at all for 3 weeks. Hope he’s OK.

Cinque, I’m glad you figured out that it was allergies, but sorry it came with hives.

Thin, I though the same thing about the cat flap!
    Sorry to hear about the coffee – normally it’s only FDs where you have to put up with a lack of froth.

GDSA, have fun with all the shopping and don’t panic with the food excesses – you’ll get back to normal quickly once you are home and back into your usual food routine. I can remember demolishing all of my Haigh’s purchases within a few hours – it’s easily done. I can even remember buying easter gifts for people and having to go back and buy more because I ate them!
    Yes I do know the Strathmore Hotel. I worked in an office on North Terrace for a decade and we commonly went to that hotel for team lunches.

Hello all. I have been reading all your interesting posts but haven’t had a chance to answer. So, sorry for not addressing all the posts directly – I’ll try to do better! I am only posting today because I know from experience that once I drop out of regular posting, it is too hard to get back into the swing. And having found you all, I don’t want to lose you. (I’ve also just had a consultation with a PhD student who’s looking at internet behaviour – sharing and lurking – and it hit a guilty button).
    It’s my birthday today, so no FD. I’d planned one, but my daughter gave me half a muffin when she came back from swimming at 6.15, and was disappointed when I said no, because she’d made it especially (and no added sugar – just pineapple and apple). My husband is taking me to a lovely Italian restaurant tonight – one we’ve been meaning to go to for a while but I’ve steered clear of because most Italian food is too too good. Two of my brothers and their wives are taking us to lunch tomorrow, and my kids and their kids for dinner (more Italian) tomorrow night. It’s hard with the little ones to go out to dinner (4, 3 and 20 months) but this particular restaurant is open plan, lots of room, and slopes down quite an incline from the road so we have a chance to grab the baby if she bolts. On the straight, she leaves me for dead. How is something with such tiny legs so fast, and how did I get so slow?
    We’ve been working away on our renovation and it’s been tough and frustrating. We’ve had this before with a build. They start well, do great work, but never seem to be able to finish. This one has dragged on and we are now up against Christmas, and family staying there from 1 December, and still no shower screen, so floods in the bathroom everytime we shower. Still I’ve kept to my FDs (except for today) and although I am still on a plateau, I feel a bit tighter (is that possible?) and I have a lovely new dress in a smaller size for my birthday celebrations.
    My dear dear eldest brother gave me a beautiful red self-watering pot filled with chia seeds he’d sprouted. It not only looks fabulous, but it’s healthy too. We’d long ago said ‘no more presents’ – where to put them is always the problem – but we still do it. I remember my grandmother saying, when asked what she wanted for Christmas, ‘Give me a kiss. I won’t have to dust it.’ OK long post over and back to work. Have a great day all.

Here I am: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/YnbGsrEvrnU/hqdefault.jpg hooray for 5:2 skinniness!

Lol, no, the cat flap is for my pleasure, not my use!

Thin, I remember reading years ago that the type of feed the cows have effect how well the milk froths. It can be different at different times of the year.

Merry, sending good wishes.
    LJoyce, may the antibiotics work quickly.
    Stay, enjoy that water at the theatre. You will feel great tomorrow!

Just come back from buying miso, beautiful stuff. Going to lie down and catch up on some tv. The hives are even more gone and you should see how happy my garden is with all this rain.

Happy Birthday Lindsay!
    https://birthdaystorm.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Happy-Birthday-Flowers-6-1.jpg

Your post came through while I was writing my last, I didn’t ignore you! I just needed that lie down before I could have another go.
    Enjoy your special day, the year ahead has room for 104 lovely fast days.
    And time to get those renovations finished I hope!
    Enjoy chasing that lightning legs grandchild around tonight! And eating your chia sprouts!

I love your grandmothers quote. I am going to use it!

Back to resting, part two 😉

Afternoon everyone,

Happy Birthday Lindsay!!! 🎊🎉🎁🎈🎂🍾 Hope you have a wonderful time with your family!!

LJoyce I hope you feel better soon. Sometimes I think we get sick as a way for our bodies to say slow down. Sounds like you have been doing a lot and maybe you need to rest a bit?

Cinque, I had a good laugh about the cat flap.

Congratulations to all the losers out there! I lost 100gms this week and as you guys say “a down is a down”!

I love reading all your posts – you all have busy and interesting lives! I went to the movies on Monday and saw Loving Vincent. It was a great movie I thought. Well worth seeing if you like art and it was a lovely story about Vincent Van Gogh.

Hope you all have a lovely day tomorrow and a wonderful weekend!

Cheers for now! 😊

Thank you Cinque – such pretty flowers, and my favourite, pink. 104 fast days? mmmm. That sounds daunting (although I was disappointed I couldn’t do one today. Maybe I’m getting into the swing). After all the hard work of the past fortnight, I expected to see some movement in those stubborn scales. Now I am a year older they may take pity on me. (haha) Hope the hives fade quickly. How nasty for you.
    LJoyce you don’t sound well at all – don’t work too hard (or is it too late?). Just a thought. My husband always goes down with a chest infection if he works with sugar cane mulch. Is that the same as the product you’re using? I try to get him to wear a mask – which he only does while I’m supervising. But it is like day follows night – laying mulch, chest infection.
    Enjoy the rest of your day everyone.

Happy Birthday Lindsay and enjoy the Italian restaurant tonight and tomorrow – love Italian food! Xx

Happy Birthday, Lindsay! Hope you have wonderful time at the Italian restaurant.
    https://imgur.com/a/PrWzE
    I love your grandmother’s saying. I will have to remember that one!

Cinque, I too had visions of you climbing through that cat door and wondered if that’s how you train the cat to use it? 😁

LJoyce, I hope those antibiotics work quickly and you feel better. Take it easy for another day. You’ve been working hard on your garden. It sounds like you did a good job since the wind didn’t blow anything over. We’re having wind and rain tonight and we have to go out with the dog with a big umbrella because he doesn’t go out in the in the rain to pee. Such a spoiled dog!

Thin, sorry about your unfrothy Thursday. I had some finished kefir go bad in the frig today. (After the grains were strained out.) It’s the first time that ever happened. I think it was because the milk I used was a couple days past the day to be used by. It tasted ok yesterday. But today it was bitter. I thought the fermentation would preserve it a little longer.

Caro, thanks for the movie suggestion. I’ll have to see if it’s screening here. I’m always looking for good movie suggestions. Congrats on the 100 gram loss!

Stay, hope you enjoyed the theater. You asked where I’m originally from. I grew up in the Midwest, in Wisconsin in the U.S.

Merry, hope your FD is going well. I’m fasting on Thursday too.

GDSA, it sounds like you had a wonderful couple of days with MissD. So nice that your OH was so lonely without you.

I was wondering about penguin too. He doesn’t usually stay away so long. Does anyone have an email address for him?

The penguin may be a flightless bird, but his one has just spent the last 16 days 1500 miles south west of home on the island of Madeira. To my surprise I came back 3 pounds lighter – not eating breakfast still seems to work on holiday. In my absence there seem to have been several pages of posts, some health issues and some new voices – lots of reading to do. Only a couple of comments so far on my skimming of all of those posts:

Thinatlast. It would be very wrong of me to eat Penguin biscuits, but OH tells me they are still on the market. Judging from some of the recent posts, my natural namesakes are in trouble in places.

Before I went away I made my kefir in the usual way, then put it in a fridge. The result when I came back was a thin, drinkable kefir, but no whey. The grains behaved perfectly normally when put in fresh milk. They have started to sell kefir in the main Portuguese supermarket in Madeira. The packaging is in German, which after English is probably the third most widely spoken language there.

Possibly more when I have read all of those posts!

Cinque I laughed out loud at your cat flap pic…..hilarious !

Ljoyce sorry to hear you are unwell.

Many, many years ago I worked in a restaurant and I remember the chef saying that milk won’t froth at certain times of the year due to the cow feed.

MissD’s medical appointments went well and we don’t have to go back for another check up for 4 years and that will probably be the last one.

More shopping yesterday afternoon….I must definitely have another serious cull of my wardrobe on my return home.

Dinner last night at a lovely Italian cafe. Gourmet veggie pizza, 2 large glasses of red and a large slice of lemon curd cheesecake. I was struggling to finish the wine and cheesecake but managed it…..felt a bit yuck afterwards though. The last of my food indulgence this morning with eggs benedict for brekky then heading home to return to ‘normal’. I feel like I will need a few fast days over the coming weeks.

The new box of Haiges chocolates is firmly tucked away at the bottom of the suitcase….unopened.

OH just messaged…..’8 hrs 15 mins’….he’s counting down the hours and minutes until my return…..how sweet. He’s also bought me a welcome home pressy…..mmmm but not letting on what it is. I did buy him some Haiges and managed not to eat that lot thank goodness !

Happy Friday everyone 😆😆

Hi everyone
    Just enjoyed reading all the posts from the last 3 days – all very interesting, some happy, some sad.
    Congrats to all those feeling lighter – it’s worth the challenge! I’m still on the up & down curve but enjoying each day.
    Here’s hoping that those who have been/still are not well, feel better real soon.
    LJoyce: sit back & enjoy watching your hedge grow – you deserve it, all that hard work!
    Calif: not sure about my kefir grains yet – they were frozen in milk for ~ 6 months; they are thickening the milk but have a different odour from before – hoping a few days of fresh daily soaking will suffice but may have to get a new batch!
    Cinque: very impressive cat door photo. Your cat should feel specially loved as not all pet owners can indulge in pet door pleasures!
    LindsayL: a very happy birthday for yesterday & enjoy your celebrations
    GDSA: I believe Haiges extracts all the calories from their chocolates by a special process so they can be enjoyed, guilt free, by all – enjoy!
    Hope you all have a wonderful weekend enjoying whatever you do. We’re off to Writers Group.
    Bye for now

Good morning everyone,
    Miso the cat came through her cat flap this morning! First time!
    The sad truth is that the photo I put up was thanks to Mr Google and wasn’t me at all. The cat flap is in a window. I have managed to rig it so it is open and she is getting more used to it.

I’m cooking mungbean dosa for breakfast, they are really good. Thin, was it you who said you soaked mung beans and some of them didn’t swell? That happened to me last time too. So annoying to have these tiny little hard ones in among the big fat ones. Anyway I read up and this time I soaked them by pouring boiling water over them, and that seems to have done the trick.

Penguin, welcome back! Very impressive to go for a holiday and come back lighter. Inspirational in fact! Good luck with your kefir.

Gday, so glad the medical side of your trip has worked out so well. Cheers for MissD! And the other side sounds great fun.

Enjoy your writers group Arelkade, and good luck with your kefir grains too.

Cali, your grains must have taken the dodgy milk and compounded it! Best of luck getting them sorted out.

Lindsay I hope you enjoyed the rest of your day (and are looking forward to 251 normal eating days over the next year 🙂 )

My hives have gone, but I have an update about all the lung tests I had. Just when I thought I could wait three months to be checked again, they called me in to say they had discussed my case at the peer specialists meeting and were collectively agreed that I should get it out after all. They will cut out the little mass, check it, and cut out more around it if need be. I’m booked in for Tuesday. If everything goes well it will be keyhole surgery and I will be back home in less than a week. I am very appreciative that they follow up things so well.
    I’m keen to have Miso fine with the cat flap by then, it will make it so much easier for her to be looked after while I am in hospital. I think she is on track.

Best wishes everyone for a good day.

Penguin, glad to see that you’re back. Coming back lighter after a long holiday is very impressive. Congrats on that! Just remember to tell us when you’re going to be away. We get worried!

Arel, I hope your kefir grains get back to making good kefir. Thickening the milk is a good sign. Freezing would be more convenient than having the culture sit for long periods in the frig when we go away or just get tired of drinking it for a while.

Gday, glad MissD’s medical appointments went well and she won’t have to go back for another 4 years. It sounds like the two of you are eating up a storm on your trip. The nice thing is that a couple FD will take care of any extra calories after you get home.

Cinque, it’s good to know that your doctors are discussing your lung condition and want to take steps to make sure everything is ok. I’m not familiar with key hole surgery. But it sounds like it shouldn’t be too invasive. At least you won’t have to worry about it for too long since Tuesday is just a few days away. Hopefully it will put your mind at rest and you won’t have to think about the lung thingie anymore. But I guess it will curtail your climbing through kitty doors for a couple weeks!

Cinque. Training goes both ways. My neighbour has a cat who used the flap perfectly happily for a couple of years, then decided that the door should be opened for him. The door is being opened for him.

Viewing 50 posts - 13,651 through 13,700 (of 28,008 total)

You must be logged in to reply.