Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,908 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  LJoyce 10 hours, 45 minutes ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,201 through 11,250 (of 28,012 total)

• LJ and Minka, a quick morning scroll over coffee before heading off to the woods became a fascinating read. LJ, I wondered if I could outsource one of my NFD’s intake for quick computation! I concur that writing down everything you consume serves to deter eating. Counting all the calories consumed on a NFD seems a daunting step too far but you’ve inspired me to try it. I can’t help thinking I’ll just eat less to lessen the mental workload though!

LJ, I think your scribe is entirely appropriate for this site. I wonder though, doesn’t the morbidly obese person have the potential to lose weight at a significantly faster rate than you describe (assuming 500/600 cals on the FDs rather than a quarter of their TDEE)?

Must fly but look forward to catching up on this discussion in a few days. (Morning Cinque!)

Good morning all. The rain has cleared overnight. Beautiful sunny morning with everything looking crispy clean and smelling fresh.

Craftgirl – I started keeping tabs on weight and food intake using an exercise book. I also used it to write all the little hints, tips and useful info in the back of the book for easy reference.

I then purchased a Fitbit watch and along with the Fitbit app and Aria Fitbit scales and find the 3 combined an easy non fuss way to record exercise and food. Was it LJoyce who loved data ? Well I’m the same and I love the vast array of info the app provides. It takes a bit of time to log food/calories into the app for the first time but once its done recording intake is very easy.

Im not keen on My Fitness Pal because of their privacy policy/personal data access. Im very weary of these things and found MFP app to be very intrusive. But thats just me and I’m aware there are many who swear by the app.

Thinatlast – yes I like your suggestion of not adding a 3rd FD (it was something I wasn’t looking forward to) and cutting out carbs instead. I dont use sugar anyway so that ones easy. Rice and pasta I have occasionally but my downfall is bread. I eat wholegrain and also rye daily so will psych myself up over the next few days to eliminate bread and see if it gets me over the plateau.

Cinque – I’m picturing you sitting by an open fire, crocheted blanket and cat on your lap, bread in a basket rising on the mantal, a pot of tea and a dainty cup and saucer next to you while you knit away madly! Probably not all of the above but it’s a lovely picture indeed!

Enjoy the day everyone.

Hi everyone,

Joffy – very funny! You are so consistent it’s inspirational.

LJoyce- high 5’s to you. No not inappropriate for here. What an amazing journey you’ve been on. I agree with you about 5:2 being a way to lose and maintain weight while still living a normal life. It’s such a reluef to be able to do that and I’m so happy with 5:2 I intend to do it for the rest of my life.

Mr Merry decided to do a FD on Saturday so I did one with him. He did yesterday again but I’m joining the Tuesday fasters today. I prefer 2 days between fasts. Only 1 nonFD between doesn’t work as well for me. I start thinking about food too much. 2 days between gives me a sense of ‘normality’.

Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Oh, forgot to say, I am now wearing my real wedding rings again, instead of the stand in one.

Thin – yes you can outsource the calculation – I’m happy to do the calculation of a NFD for you. I would need a list of every food item eaten and quantity (it can be grams or cups/tblsp). I can give you calories, macro-nutrients and also whichever micro-nutrients you are interested in. There was a period of time where I not only calculated kj every day I also calculated carbs, protein, fat, sugar, fibre, calcium, iron, and sodium – now you see why the dietitian felt she needed to ween me off of my recording – I’d taken a sensible idea and gone a little crazy with it.
    Yes you are right that someone who is morbidly obese would lose weight faster on 5:2 than someone who is only a little overweight. That’s providing they can stick to their TDEE on NFD – and that’s a big “if”. While you would assume that with such a big weight you would have a huge TDEE, it doesn’t necessarily work that way – I tracked my eating for a month before starting to diet and figured out that at 127kg I averaged 8000kj to maintain that weight (about 1900cals). Most people I talked to online when I was morbidly obese had real issues with bingeing. It seems that the absolute restriction imposed by a VLCD is oddly actually easier to stick to, because you don’t deal with food except for a few veg. I noticed that those of us with a bingeing disorder tend to be “all or nothing” people so I think that’s why it was possible to stick with such a restrictive program for months – you just accept that everything is banned and you are taking a break from food. During those 3 months on 800 cals I lost 6-7kg per month (20kg over the 3 months) – and that was actually slow compared to many of the younger people on the program who were losing 8-12kg per month. I had never done a diet where the weight moved that fast. Once I moved to 1000cals per day and had to deal with real food again for 1 meal my losses fell to about 3kg per month and I had to battle my tendency to binge again. This is the real drawback of this type of program – it may be fast but it doesn’t help you deal with your food issues and it doesn’t give you the tools to maintain the loss. That’s why I started seeing a dietitian after I got to my goal weight because I had no idea how to maintain it (my GP had done the supervision while I was on the diet). I still see the dietitian every 3 months as I don’t feel ready to completely let go of that support yet. I feel like 5:2 is a tool that can help me maintain and I’m also slowly reducing the episodes of bingeing which should also help long term.

Good afternoon all,
    I have been reading with interest your story and explanation of diets LJ. It sheds light as to why people can’t keep weight off after losing so much, no plan for later. I also noted when you said the slow weight loss of 5:2 with a large amount to lose would be disenchanting and you would bail on doing it. Shows you still need a lot of commitment to stick with this way of eating. Congrats to everyone for sticking with this.
    I had a strange feeling yesterday afternoon, I had lunch around 12pm a corned beef and salad roll and an apple then at 3pm my stomach was growling like it was a FD. I did nothing about it but it was a strange feeling and made me think how I could be that hungry after having a meal not long ago.
    As to counting all cals on non FD’s, I reckon I would quit all the things I don’t need to look good on paper. That may be a good thing with snacking for sure. I might try it for a week to see what comes up. It will be true with beer included and I will report my intake per day average in energy over the week of non FD’s.
    A good choice to move my FD to today with lots of rain and being indoors and now I must go get dinner from the shops as my daughter had my last soup on the weekend.

Hi All,

LJ, I’m finding the continuing details and your perspective on the VLCD quite interesting and insightful and I agree with the others that everything you wrote is applicable to this forum and I’ve also been enjoying reading the questions others have posed, such as yours Thin regarding the quicker 5:2 loss for those who weigh more and your response to that LJ. …One thing I realized is that from posts from a month or more ago, when I’d read that you’d followed a VLCD, I’d assumed you’d meant a Very Low Carb Diet and had been interpreting your posts from that perspective, thinking that keto type practice is how you’d shed weight previously, well that was until day before yesterday.

Merry, wonderful reading about you wearing your original wedding ring again. I also envisioned you fitting into your wedding dress as well!

Cinque, I hope you found it easy going on public transport to reach Docklands. Did you end up on that free City Loop tourist tram as part of your travels there? In answer to your question about keeping the balls I’m juggling up in the air, it is true that I’ve had a lovely Easter break from that stress, though will be returning to that type of pressing schedule with the start of classes tomorrow.

I enjoyed a very therapeutic fast day yesterday which saw me go from feeling far off the rails as far as eating habits and choices go to being back in the ‘zone’, which feels wonderful.

First day today of cutting out bread. So for brekky instead of scrambling my eggs and eating on toast I cooked the beaten eggs in a frypan without stirring so it formed a slightly crispy base but was still soft ontop. That became my ‘toast’. Half a chopped chilli sprinkled on top with 140g steamed spinch. Yum.

Downloaded Jason Fung Complete Guide to Fasting and Eric Westman Keto Clarity on my e-reader last night. Skimming through them both looks like some interesting reading ahead.

It was my FD yesterday but I accidently went over and consumed 600cal so having a semi FD today & tomorrow of 600-700 cal each day as I feel like I need it.

Bonus this morning – I’m back to 69.5kg after rocketing to 71.9 last week.

Goodmorning everyone. Woke up to heavy rain, it ended in an enormous clap of thunder, and when I looked out the window my garden was full of hail.

It is cup of tea and my cat, Gday, but no open fire sadly. I so love open fires but since I am not well enough to do all the work around them I will be content with my wall heater! And as for the knitting, I pulled out the red jumper I started knitting for my granddaughter last year and realised I was knitting the front ten stitches short! So pulled that out and started again. It should still fit her this year though (if I can only keep to the pattern!)
    So your idea of me is my fantasy too!

Minka I got on the tram to find my travel card had expired so I crossed my fingers until it got into the free zone, and then bought a new one for the trip back. The nearest tram to me goes straight to the front of their building, so that makes it very easy.

So glad you are back in your ‘zone’ I hope you can manage to stay there in spite of your crazy schedule. For a while at least!

Merry, does that mean your fingers are so slender now that you can wear your wedding rings again? How lovely!

Gday, what a great trick with the eggs! Best wishes for the week!

Joffy is your tummy asking for more, because of the cold weather too? It will love some minestrone!

Best wishes for a good day everyone,. I so hope it isn’t hailing on Thin’s tent!

Hi everyone, I’m in Auckland, NZ (emigrated here from the UK 5 years ago). Just about to start my first fast tomorrow, and am pretty scared to be honest. But I want to do something, as I am facing my 2x25th (yes, OK, my 50th!) birthday in June, and am aware my BMI is now 26 instead of the 24 it has been for pretty much all of my 20’s, 30’s and 40’s.

Hi everyone! Welcome newcomers – Yvonne1967 I have the same birthday (2×25) this year – October for me. It’s a good incentive isn’t it!!!!!
    I’m a little flummoxed (the right word? ie confused) this morning! Weighed myself Monday morning (not an official weigh-in day, just had a sneaky look!), was 65.8, so I did a little happy dance as I knew my Fast Day was that day and my ‘official’ weigh in & measurement day was Tuesday and was looking forward to being below my first ‘goal’ of being under 65. So I weighed myself Tuesday a.m., after my Mon FD, and I was 66.2!!!!! What?????? Weighed again this morning, back down to 65.4 – and that was after 3 meals (egg, toast, smoked salmon, avo for brekky, chicken salad for lunch, steak for dinner), an extra cappucino, extra fruit, and a sneaky bit of dark choc yesterday. I don’t get it!!! (frustrated sigh!). At least I can say my waist measurement went down a fair bit yesterday, so happy about that. I’ll keep plodding along though…… 😉 I have 6 months before my goal date for another almost 4 kg. Happy 5:2ing everyone! And for those doing a FD today, hope the hunger pangs stay away!! 🙂

Hi Yvonne and welcome to 5:2, and great to have another Kiwi here.

Tori, frustrating but it’s happened to most of us at some time or another. The answer is fluid and food in transit. Sometimes our bodies hold onto more fluid than other times. It’s the long term trend down that you’re looking for and the daily weigh and sometimes the weekly weigh is a dot on the graph. Your next figure shows that you did actually go down from that FD, so that’s good.

Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Hi Yvonne, welcome here! I’m having my 2 x 30 this year so what a young person in your prime you seem to me!
    I remember how scared I was on my first fast day, but you can do anything for a day, and hopefully you will be like me and feel terrific at the end of it. Sending good wishes.

Tori, scales are extraordinarily stupid things, and often vindictive too! Ignore that nasty reading. 🎈
    As Merry says, take the long view. Your health is improving and the excess weight will go.

Hi Merry!

Writing on my iPad, so flowers to everybody! 💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐

LJ, your posts have made fascinating reading. I’m in awe of your dedication to losing weight. I can’t imagine how hard the VLCD was but I understand your point about how much more difficult it was to deal with food at 1,000 cals vs the meal replacements at 800cals.

I’ve been down over the last couple of days. I’ve mentioned before I’m doing this with my H who needs to lose weight more than I do. I’m having to confront the reality that I want him to lose weight more than he does. I think he uses food as medication – he has an incredibly stressful job. Over the last 2 days I’ve watched him eat way beyond his TDEE without seeming to notice. I got very sad about this. I love him and hate the idea that if he doesn’t stop this destructive behaviour we may lose him before his time. He’s told me recently of colleagues who’ve had strokes and heart attacks – and these are people aged between 38 and 53. But I’ve realised I can’t make him lose weight, and until he’s ready to make changes himself there’s little I can do.

So thank you everyone for the notes of encouragement you send to each other. It kept me from buying chocolate today when I bought milk. I’m doing my fasts for me. I’m about to turn 50 in July and I want to look and feel great.

I’m so thankful to have such wonderful people here to read about. Your stories and encouragement are a balm for my sadness. 💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐💐

Sorry Cinque, I wasn’t deliberately trying to outdo your flowers!! But I do love that emoji. 🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷🌷

Goodmorning! The more flowers the better Craftgirl!
    My sympathies re figuring out your OH isn’t very committed to losing weight at the moment. Oh well he has to do things in is own way, and who knows what the future will bring. Something wonderful I hope. All power to you doing what is good for yourself.

I’m fasting today!
    It is cold and so wet that everything is shiny. I’m off to have a coffee and catch up with a good friend who is also a chef!

Hope you have a great first day Yvonne!
    Cheers to all the other fasters today, and good wishes too, to those of you eating wonderful normal food.

Craftgirl – Sorry you are at an impasse with your husband’s weight loss. It’s tough when we want someone we care about to lose weight because we’re worried about their health, but if their heart isn’t in it it just doesn’t happen. I’ve been on both sides of this situation. What I’ve learned when I’m the one who needs to lose weight, is that unless my head is in the right space weight loss won’t happen. I need my attitude, determination, energy, motivation and support all lined up before weight loss succeeds. Too much pressure from loved ones when I wasn’t ready just had me eating more secretly. At this point all you can really do for your H is to explain your fears for his health and that you want to be supportive in any way that he needs. The next step after that has to be his.

Cinque I’m joining you for a FD today. I’m at home hiding from the cold (we’re aiming for a high of 13C today). There has been an iciness in the air here since yesterday that I’m trying to avoid. I even had to have the panel heater on all night in the bedroom to stay asleep. (Every time my nose gets cold I wake up!) I normally don’t buy firewood before May, but I may need to get some this week. I have a split system that I usually use for heating in autumn and spring but when the weather is really cold the slow combustion is the only thing that really heats the house properly. This is the main drawback of living in the Adelaide Hills, the winters are bitterly cold and much longer than just June-Aug. It’s the flip side of the bonus of milder weather in summer.

I’m trying not to be envious of those in Perth who are forecast for 27C today!!! Have a good day everyone.

Another fast day over – well the eating bit anyway. Hope your first Fast day was ok, Yvonne. I had to keep reminding myself that 1. It’s only one day and tomorrow I can eat more food, and 2. How great it will feel to get to my desired body shape in time for my birthday. It’s amazing how these thoughts could keep me focussed today.

Thank you Cinque and LJ for your comments after my post last night. I’ve only been here for a little while but your support is truly appreciated.

Hope the scales are being kind to you today, Tori. I had the exact same experience this week after my Monday FD.

Good wishes to everyone tonight.

A quick hello to everyone before my lovely day-after-a-fast-day breakfast.
    I hope you are enjoying the same LJoyce, Craftgirl, Yvonne and anyone else who fasted yesterday.
    The cold weather is a bit of a shock to the system! I wish I had that open fire! But I am enjoying a warm dressing gown and a hot cuppa!
    Best wishes to everyone!

Happy Friday everyone. I must say that the breakfast after a fast day tastes so fantastic! And I can even taste the creaminess of the milk in my tea. I do have to remind myself to slow down and enjoy it though, as I’ve always been the type to wolf down a meal.

I’m feeling the cold today too Cinque. My boss doesn’t like air conditioning so for the last two years I’ve worn sleeveless dresses pretty much all year round, and on really cold days have worn a sleeved dress with very rarely a light jacket. Since I’ve started this WOL I’m feeling the cold again, although perhaps that’s because I’m finally over the seemingly permanent “personal summer”. I get home from work and quickly change into jeans, t-shirt and cardi. And it’s only May!! It seems like I’m back to being the tropical woman who can’t take temperatures less than 20 degrees, haha!

Update on H. After yesterday’s Fast his weight this morning was down 1.4kgs from his start weight, so even though his NFDs are diabolically caloric the FDs are still working. With luck he’ll continue to lose small bits and really start to realise how good it could be. I have my fingers crossed.

I’m down a little (200gms) but my waist is the same and my bust has increased. Huh??? Guess I’ll have to redo that again tomorrow as it doesn’t seem right (I’ve always been a bit challenged in the bust department). Also, i’m wondering if anyone has thoughts on woman with a more boy-shape waist. I don’t think I’ve ever been the curvy type and photos when I was younger still show me as being blocky around the waist. I’ll keep persevering and see if this changes over time. It’s still early days.

Hi Cinque, I rarely eat breakfast, even after a FD. I did however have a yummy lunch. It didn’t start out very promising as I had one final serve of cooked ruby chard & kale (about 1 1/2 cups) left, that I had planned to use as an omelette filling. But I didn’t feel like an omelette – boring! Ages ago I remembered seeing an Italian TV cook making “poverty” bread fritters that had some wild greens in them so I went with that idea. I took my cooked kale & chard and added 2 slices of wholemeal rye bread crumbled up, 2 eggs, 1/3 cup grated provolone cheese, garlic salt, oregano, pepper, 1/4tsp baking powder. I mixed it into a very sticky mess and divided it into 6 large rissole shapes. They were so sticky (too many eggs I think) that I rolled them in cornmeal. Then I heated the frying pan with 2tsp butter and 1tsp olive oil and gently panfried them until they were crisp on both sides and cooked through. As hungry as I felt, even I couldn’t eat 6, so I served 3 with a little tomato-herb pasta sauce poured over and I’ve set the other 3 aside for dinner tomorrow night. I’ll have to remember this idea as I could easily throw it together with a packet of frozen spinach, or maybe a couple of grated zucchini, or cauliflower…

Sometimes the nicest things come from my “make it up as you go along” episodes in the kitchen. The only trouble is that I never measure anything, so I can never recreate invented recipies exactly and I’m forever trying to recapture that perfect food memory. Never mind, I really enjoy playing in the kitchen, never quite knowing whether it will be delicious or terrible – the mostly good results are worth the occasional disasters.

Dinner was also a winter treat. I made a big pot of minestrone, without the pasta but really heavy on the beans so it will be filling enough for dinner. I had a very big bowl with a savoury muffin (wholemeal spelt, polenta, carrot, pecan, parmesan & rosemary), from a batch I’d made on ANZAC day and frozen.

It’s been a nice way to spend a cold day – staying warm by the stove.

Hi everyone, I am returning to the 5:2 lifestyle after over a year where my weight has ballooned to more than I have weighted in 15 years. I was having success on the 5:2 and losing weight, feeling better and not noticing the fast days, then I went on holidays and just couldn’t get the motivation back for 5:2. I have tried several diets in the last 15 months but without success, so here I am. I will be fasting on Monday’s & Thursdays as these days seem to work for me. This week I have done Wednesday and today as I woke up Wednesday and decided I was going to do this and start then. My Wednesday fast went well but today I have eaten over the 500 cals so tomorrow will try and keep them down again.I did read something today that said Dr Micheal Mosley said he has relaxed the rules and you can now have 800 cals on a fast day. Does anyone know if that’s true or just something a magazine made up? I am also confused with the people here saying they are giving up bread. Are we supposed to not eat certain foods on our NFD??? I had success with this lifestyle as I ate any food I craved on my NFD and stuck to the 500 cals on the FD’s. Do I need to give up foods?? Any help appreciated and I really hope I can continue with this lifestyle as so many of you have and have done it easily. Thanks for listening (reading).

Hello Redmoonstar, welcome!
    What a horrible year you have had. Hopefully 5:2 will fit well into your lifestyle now and make the big difference.
    You are right about what Dr Mosley has recently said. Here is one of the articles: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/12/good-news-dieters-52-relaxes-rules-allows-800-calories-day/

Some people here find they need to cut out bread. I still eat it, but try not to mention it too often as I don’t want to torture people who miss it terribly.

How many calories a fast day? What to eat on non fast days? What do you do if you have a major fail? These topics keep us chatting here every day! Looking forward to having you join in!

LJoyce, I am capable of being so pedantic as to say that whenever you first eat in the day is breakfast as you are then breaking your fast! 😉
    But I will hold back 😉 😉
    Your poverty fritters and muffins sound wonderful.

I have finished my yummy lentil soup and am so keen to make some minestrone! I hope I do today.

It is cold again and my wrist and all up the arm started hurting again (I landed on my wrist when I fell over a few days ago) so I will try and rest it today. (Not sure if that is compatible with making minestrone!).

Day before fast day for me. I’ll enjoy every bite. And I will not snack!!!!

Welcome Redmoonstar, I hope you settle back into 5:2. I’ve been doing it for 4 months now and it feels very comfortable. I haven’t tried doing 800cals on FDs because I have trouble sticking to my TDEE on the NFDs so I can’t afford the extra calories while still trying to lose weight.
    As Cinque mentioned, some people give up bread. What I’ve noticed over the years is that those with either insulin resistance or diabetes seem to do better when they restrict their carbohydrate intake. I don’t have either of these health issues and I do just fine with carbohydrates (including bread) in my diet, although I am fairly picky about which ones and I aim for high fibre whole foods that won’t be turned into sugar quickly by my digestive process (eg sourdough rye instead of white bread).

Cinque, sorry to hear about your injury I hope you feel better soon.

I went to the wood yard yesterday and bought a boot load of wood to last me until I can have a truck load delivered. Feeling a bit sore today from having to load & unload 200kg firewood, but I know it will pass in a couple of days.

I’m off to book club shortly, so more baking this morning. I made pecan honey chocolate chip muffins, and every single one will be leaving the house with me and not coming home again! I am confident that anything not eaten will find good homes to go to.

Have a good day everyone, stay warm.

I never expect a book club day to be low calorie, but I am relieved when it doesn’t end up being a binge. I think I’d give myself a “pass” for the amount I ate at book club this afternoon. It used to be an occasion where I ate an enormous amount, but I have gradually gotten more discriminating over time. Today I had 1 cheese straw, 2 slices of cheese, 1 small muffin and 1 large biscuit. I looked longingly at the remaining cheeses, foccacia, banana cake, iced cockles and chocolates but decided I really had eaten enough. I’ve come home feeling satisfied but not sick and with enough appetite for a small dinner.

Hope you are all having a nice weekend.

Congratulations LJoyce, what good decisions!

I’m having a quiet day. Eating well, just had roast veggies, a piece of fish and green salad for tea. Fast day tomorrow!

Yes I’m on a FD tomorrow too. I’m just about to have the 3 left over “poverty fritters”, I think with some tomato chutney.

Thanks Cinque & LJoyce for the replies and giving me the information I was asking about. I to enjoy sourdough bread from one of my other diets but try not to eat it to often as I tend to have to much at once. I find I can go well during the day eating minimal amounts but at night when I sit and relax is when I binge eat. This is a habit from my giving up smoking days and having to put something in my mouth instead of a cigarette. I just need to learn to break this habit and make a better non binge habit.
    I need better will power which I’m hoping this will help me with! Have a lovely Sunday and a good FD.

Welcome to the new posters and happy Sunday morning all.

Happy with the scales this morning – 69.4kg. Even better is my waist measurement – 85cm. Thats exactly 10cm less than when I started FD in January.
    I havent felt that hungry the last few days (despite the cold weather) and therefore have been skipping lunch.

Have really noticed a huge increase in my flexibility the last few weeks. Also increase in my cardio ability. Speeds that used to puff me out on the treadmill now seem like a doddle. I even do bursts of running which is unheard of for me. Even in my younger days I was useless at running. I keep running to short bursts as I sustained a knee stress fracture about 7 years ago so I need to be careful with that knee.

Miss D and I are going for a drive into the hills today. After the last week of rain our favourite creek will be running and D loves to catch tadpoles. There’s lovely little quaint coffee shops and second hand shops etc which we love to explore so D will be rolling her eyes as I troll through the piles of old crockery to buy ! Taking a picnic lunch so debating whether I should make sandwiches for me or not – I’ve been going really well not eating bread so far this week. Might just have hard boiled eggs and salad I think.

Tomorrow is our last day of being on holidays – back to work and school on Tuesday. Will be spending tomorrow planting out the vegie patch. Spinach, kale, silverbeet, carrots, spring onion, beans, peas, lettuce, raddish & a variety of herbs. I do miss my vegie patch over the summer months when nothing will survive the 45 + degree temperatures. Ideally I really should have done my planting weeks ago when it was a bit warmer but should still be okay for seeds to germinate.

Happy Sunday everyone 🌱🌿🌱🌿🌱

Good morning all, we arrived home covered in red dust – a sure sign of a successful camping trip. Weather was perfect thanks Cinque, warm, sunny days and very cold, clear star-filled nights but we have good sleeping bags & we took plenty of wood. All the meals were made in my Dutch Oven over the camp fire, including two ‘family fast day’ recipes and a chilli con carne. We did a couple of hours of trail walking every day. The only downer was the first night, when a family with a 4 week old baby & a miserably unhappy toddler camped next to us and the baby screamed its lungs out all night long. On the second night a couple were playing music on the other side. By the last night, we were all alone in the silence and darkness and could appreciate the kangaroos, kookaburras and various critters that appear when humans are keeping a low profile. Very relaxing.

Merry, you’ll have a laugh when I tell you that I took the travel scales! I couldn’t find a completely flat place to use them though and, not being guided by my weight caused me to abandon any thought of a Friday fast. So, with the camping trip, one missed FD, my birthday celebrations before we left and yesterday’s lunch with friends I’ve landed 200gms over my trigger weight which today’s fast will put right. I’m so looking forward to it.

I’m going to make my second coffee and then respond to the posts I’ve just caught up with reading. Thank goodness we’re still on the same page.

Oh happy late birthday wishes Thin, I didn’t keep track of your actual birthday after sending you premature wishes when it was actually your OH’s!
    So glad the camping trip was so wonderful, and I am glad you got a night alone!

Gday, bye bye 10 cm! Woohoo! And how lovely to be feeling fitter and more flexible.

Redmoonstar, good luck with those non binge habits. Fast days are a big one, but Oh dear we need more!

I have just been listening to the doctors show on 3RRR (Melbourne Community radio) and they had someone talking about bariatric surgery ie weight loss surgery. It was so interesting.
    I wanted to share what she said about dieting in general, which was that only 3% of people who lose a lot of weight by dieting and exercise have kept it off 5 years later. And she said the people in that 3% are the ones who manage to be very OC about it and weigh every day and have a plan for action if they put on half a kilo. (for some reason I thought of you Thin).

The problem is that our bodies are configured to try to keep our weight on, and hormones are released to make us ragingly hungry (in the same way we get so hungry after an illness that has left us not eating for a few days).
    She explained that because the bariatric surgery was removing part a large part of the stomach, the stomach couldn’t send out so many of these hormones, and so with surgery the same problem doesn’t appear.

She was quite clear that bariatric surgery has its down sides too, and I loved that she said that because the body is so complex, she found study of weight loss was a discipline that covered the body, the mind, social factors, and we have so much more to understand. There are no simplistic answers yet.

I know that 5:2 hasn’t being going long enough to get research about longterm effects on weightloss, and whether is is better than other diets. But I had hoped it would be!

I thought the slower (more sensible in my mind) regime would help mitigate our bodies reaction to stack the weight back on, but I must say I have got hungrier since I lost my excess weight.

It has made me remember that I thought (when that article came out some time ago about all the Biggest Losers putting their weight back on: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3573440/Biggest-Loser-stars-speak-weight-gain-ended-contestants-center-study-changed-knew-weight-loss.html )
    that I would plug on with 5:2 and no sugar for a year after I lost weight before testing whether I could relax the rules a bit.

Hmm, well that isn’t quite what I have done! I got a bit freaked when my doctor said I am a bit too thin, and so relaxed 5:2 quite a bit. I have snuck some chocolate on occasion, overeaten fairly often, and so relaxed 5:2 quite a bit.

I am having increased hunger. So this is a good reminder to me to keep on the sensible path and fingers crossed my body might learn to resettle at this healthy weight if I can keep eating sensibly on non fast days, and limit bingeing for another year or more!

Here is the place you can listen to the program if you are interested (except they haven’t got today’s program up yet! Probably tomorrow.) http://www.rrr.org.au/program/radiotherapy/

Fast day today. Just about to have my coffee. Cheers LJoyce and Thin and other Sunday Fasters. And to everyone else!

Good morning fellow fasters,
    Completed my FD on Friday, I seem to have changed my FD’s to Tuesday and Friday, I do like to have a beer on Monday’s while catching up on the footy chat of the weekend but we will see where it all goes. I might have to think about it a bit harder as I have mentioned in a very early post “When I have the kids over on a Friday night I tend to have only a couple of beers ” so I may be adding more cals to my week by changing my FD’s virtually adding an extra day I can have a few beers.
    Welcome to Yvonne1967 and Redmoonstar, inspriation can be found just above from GDaySA with the 10cm lost from the waist, probably the best feeling is not being able to wear clothes due to them falling off you.
    As to not having bread or other things on NFD’s, it is tinkering after you stop losing weight and or cm’s from just following FD’s properly for a while. Many of us on here had a fair whack to lose (15-30kgs) and when you get within 10kg or so of your goal weight it sometimes needs a little help to get to this with the restriction of some carbs like pasta, rice and bread. It is not the same for everyone though and the biggest thing is getting your two FD’s sorted and consistent first for a few weeks before you start tinkering.
    Meals for the FD:
    2 x white coffee’s 300kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans added to the soup 400kj Total 1500kj or 358cals.
    *See how the beans help in the soup LJoyce

Welcome newbies.

CG, I totally empathise with your frustration about your OH. Although mine has stayed the same weight since high school, he’s not interested in healthy eating and doesn’t understand that sugar is the enemy or that, just because you’re not overweight, it doesn’t mean that you have no health risks, you can still have a fatty liver, etc. Living with a like-minded partner would make the food future so much brighter. We can only change ourselves so well done to you for initiating that change and let’s hope your OH follows by example. I find my OH is rarely receptive to my suggestions but does adopt small changes in his own time. For example, the daily OJ habit has disappeared in recent months and I haven’t replaced the honey for a very long time so he must have stopped adding that to his cereal.

GDSA, sounds like you have a lovely day planned today. I’m pleased to hear that you’re being strong re: the bread and that it might be having the desired effect. I noticed a dramatic change in my energy levels after losing so much weight before travelling to Spain/Portugal last year. There’s no way I could have climbed those hills and steps all day at my prior weight. My knees have really thanked me for the lessened load too.

LJ, I’m happy that you’re fasting with us today 😆 Well done with the book club food management and your on-going advances in controlling your food behaviours. You’re an inspiration to all and I especially appreciate your honesty in reporting your journey (sorry, corny word). I was only joshing about doing my calorie computing but really appreciate your willingness to take it on for me. I will take you up on it if I can find a NFD that isn’t complicated by someone else having done the cooking or similar. Just thinking about giving you the task makes me want to choose a low intake day so I can see that it follows that keeping that a food diary would result in a lower intake.

Conscious that I’m dominating the airwaves here today so I’ll take a break and reply to the rest later after my walk. Hi to everyone not mentioned!

Happy Sunday everyone. I do love the flexibility of 5:2 – being able to wake up and decide today is a FD because both Monday and Tuesday are going to be too difficult.

Welcome redmoonstar. Joffy is right that you need to sort your two FDs first, but as an explanation some people here eliminate things from their diet as a personal choice. I tend not to eat much bread or sugar (including honey) but started that before 5:2 and was a result of not feeling great when I did eat them. The best thing about 5:2 is it’s your 5:2 and what works for someone else may not work for you and vice versa.

Thank you Cinque, Thin and LJ (and others) who have posted recipes on the SH recipe page and here. I’m a terrible cook (and believe me that’s not modesty speaking), but I hope in time to be able to successfully try some of the recipes listed. I tried the Thai style mussels recipe in one of the books and although it was OK my OH could only eat 4 mussels as he didn’t like the flavours. He said if he ate more it would turn him off mussels for life, haha. So we went back to poached eggs and smoked salmon that night. At the moment that seems to work for us and probably will until my OH gets more motivated to cook something different on a FD (he’s much better than I am).

Glad to hear you had one night of peace on your camping trip Thin. I like the idea of your trigger weight. Something to think about.

I also read someone here had a cardboard test for visceral fat, but couldn’t seem to find it anywhere. If anyone can remember it, I’m very interested.

Happy FD to those fasting today, and I hope everyone has a lovely Sunday. 🌷🌷🌷

Lol, Thin and your descriptions made me envision myself there in the camp ground too!

P.S. I know it might continue to sound syrupy and gush a lot about the support I receive here, though I want to again say how important you all are to me. After foregoing a week of fast days in preparation for medical tests, I found myself in a very dark place both emotionally and in my relationship with food. After that week I was even questioning whether or not to fast at all in the following week.

I used to question how others could possible give up 5:2 and leave it all behind, since it works and is sustainable. Now I know!

Over that week of NFDs my food habits had slowly slid into sloppiness (in reality I was simply going along with the the way of the non-fasters around me) and as a result a dozen reasons why it would be ‘best’ to pass on my next scheduled fasting day, became pressing! Even though, in the midst of this, it dawned on me, ‘…oh so this is how it happens! This is how other Fastdiet members leave 5:2 and gain all their weight back!’ there was a ‘…yes but!’ that followed that went along the lines of, ‘Yes but, Minka, where on earth will you fit that FD into your schedule? You’ll crash. You’ve got to look after yourself and start again next week.’!

It was only that I returned to this thread to catch up on posts that sanity prevailed! Reading of everyone’s progress and how you are moving through your own challenges strengthened my own resolve and I rearranged my schedule to make it possible to squeeze in those two FDs last week and make them work! Had I not checked in here, I might have remained in the dark tunnel.

I don’t know if any of you are familiar with Leunig cartoons? My scenario reminds me of the classic Leunig entitled ‘Life You Lead’. I wish I could post a photo here for everyone to see since it typifies my exact experience! Amazing how just one week of innocently foregoing 5:2 proved to be so challenging. Again, just shows how powerful community really is, so thank you.

Oh no Minka, have you been forced to abandon the beloved car that you were telling me about recently? Well done for being in that comfortable weight ‘envelope’ and good luck with TAFE this term. I hope the new job is going well too. Cinque, I hope you find your weight balance too.

Cinque and Joffy, reading your last posts respectively, I felt as if I could have written them myself. It is so cool to find like-minded people on this thread, like a family. Cinque, thanks for the birthday wishes, you’re catching up with me! (I got away with minimal birthday cake because remember the OFMs agreed to freezing half of OH’s birthday cake last month!) I would like to listen to that item so thanks for the link. You were right to think of me with the obsessive weighing and rigid personality. Redmoon, I replaced my food addiction with a fast addiction. Like LJ mentioned, I also have a sort of ‘all or nothing’ approach which lends itself well to success with FDs because I’m too stubborn to give in to them. The rest came naturally through 5:2 with behaviours and bad food habits being shaped without my really noticing.

At yesterday’s lunch with friends, there was a couple I hadn’t seen since losing 23kgs. Men don’t tend to comment on women’s weight but she was gob-smacked. It’s been a while since I’ve had that reaction and it’s a great feeling.

I’m enjoying today’s FD despite it being a week since my last fast. I seem to get away with 6:1 when we go away, perhaps because of the increased hiking. I ate a hearty camp fire breakfast each morning, skipped lunch, ate the nibbly things mindfully, drank minimal wine (one bottle between us for the whole trip) and then enjoyed one bowl of the one pot dinners. Have just been for a walk and I’m already back below trigger weight.

CG, I posted the cardboard test for visceral fat and will do so again shortly. So, you were lurking for some time before posting?!

Cinque, I hadn’t seen the daily mail article that you attached, but I have read the NY Times article that it refers to – both articles basically cover the same ground.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html?_r=2
    I actually came across this originally when it was posted by one of the other dieters who was doing the 800cal Very Low Calorie Diet(VLCD) with me. It had many of us in a panic about how restricted our TDEE might be when we got to goal, because we all either were or had been morbidly obese and were trying to lose enormous amounts of weight quite quickly. We could see the parallels and they were scary.
    However I want the challenge the basic premise in these articles – that it was the weight loss that caused the lower than normal TDEE.

What the articles don’t investigate is whether this was a pre-existing condition. It seems to me that they have assumed that it was caused by the weight loss, but they haven’t proved that. They can only know this if they actually tested the same people prior to weight loss to determine whether their TDEEs before weight loss were the same or below the figures that equations such as Mifflin-St. Jeor provide.
    I know my own current TDEE that I personally need to maintain my weight after weight loss is significantly lower that the accepted equations give. The calculator on this website comes in at around 1600cals, but I know I actually need only about 1400cals – a 13% reduction on what I “should” be able to consume.
    However, I actually know that my TDEE was lower than the equation figures even before losing the weight when I was still morbidly obese, because I collected the data. Before attempting to lose any weight I just kept a food diary for 1 month and weighed myself weekly. I only recorded food but I did not count kilojoules as I didn’t want to influence my food choices by knowing their kilojoule count. However, because I had this data I was able to go back at the end of the month and work out the kilojoules that I had eaten each day (it ranged from 5500-11500kj but was usually in the 7-9000 range). My average daily intake was about 8200kj (1950cals) over the month that I recorded and my weight was fairly stable at 127kg over that month. However according to the Mifflin-St. Jeor equation I should have needed 2230 calories to maintain this weight. This means my actual needs were 13% below the equation.
    So clearly I had a problem with my body requiring fewer than average calories long before rapid weight loss. I think it is also interesting that the percentage that I need to discount equations such as Mifflin-St. Jeor remained exactly the same before and after weight loss. I have and probably will forever have to eat 13% percent less than average to maintain any chosen weight. It occurs to me that this may have contributed to me being overweight in the first place. I just hadn’t learned that I needed to eat less than the rest of my family to stay the same weight. I’m sure if I had been born into a situation of poverty and famine, my body’s need for less calories would have been a survival advantage – probably how my particular gene traits developed in the first place.

Thin – I actually was serious in my offer to do a full nutritional analysis of 1 or more NFDs, in fact it made me happy to think I’d have a little bit of data to play with. I know, I know – how sad is that! Numbers always have been my comfort zone. It is most useful if you look at typical days that include meals you make often.

Felt I needed to provide a postscript to my previous rant.
    The thing that troubled me most when I was discussing the NY Times article with others on the VLCD was the loss of hope that it generated among those of us on a journey to lose 50kg or more. I think facing and accepting your own reality is really important – in this case, that you’ll likely always need to manage your food intake more carefully and that your assumptions about what “normal” food looks like is probably wrong. But it’s not the end of the story, because I think there’s still plenty of room to retain a hopeful attitude. For me it was deciding that there must be a way to work within those restraints and still have a relationship with food that felt normal to me – I just had to find the approach or tools that were more help than hindrance. Definitely still a work in progress but much I’m a lot more more hopeful than fearful these days, which I take as a positive sign that what I’m doing now is definitely helpful.

Hi Everyone,
    LJoyce, I read your excellent post before I headed off to make my miso soup. Thankyou so much, it is such a good take on it. I’ve been ruminating on it.
    The idea of mad ghrelin keeping us hungry and obese for the rest of our lives is daunting to say the least! Although there is lots of interesting possibilities, I hadn’t thought of your hypothesis.

My biggest problem is that I want to return to my childhood when I ate until I was full, and then stopped until I was hungry again, and that was a natural way to keep us at a healthy weight. I loved seeing my daughter grow up without my emotional eating problems and, thankfully, she navigated through the pressures of the beauty industry and the food industry so that (so far at least) she is a healthy weight and doesn’t have an unnatural hunger (as I have thought of it).

I can accept that I need to keep away from sugar and make very healthy choices, but I want that to work! (Making wailing sounds here!). I’m holding onto my theory that my body can get back into a healthy eating mode! Until I can’t anymore! Since that means continuing with 5:2 and healthy eating, I guess I shall find out!

Well, I am nicely full of my soup now! It has been a good fast day, and I’m aiming for a good non fast day tomorrow!

You are raising some interesting – and somewhat frightening – issues LJ and Cinque.

LJ, thank you. I will take you up on your kind offer. Even though it means sharing my NFD intake with everyone which could be embarrassing! I will pick a day with a typical meal that we have regularly.

Minka, I have only just noticed your 4:28 post which is strange considering that what I wrote straight afterwards about surviving with just 6:1 and my comment about the ‘5:2 family’ on this thread would seem to be in direct response to it! How strange! Anyway, I’m glad I’ve read it now and that you found some useful insights while you were in that dark place.

I too have found it odd when people say they enjoyed success with 5:2 but then stopped practicing it. I suppose if you’re thinking of it only as a weight loss tool, then it makes sense. You lose the weight and return to your old eating habits. I’m coming up for 3 years on this WOL and hoping I can do it for the rest of my life. As LJ and Cinque point out, I also don’t really know what ‘normal’ eating looks like. If I can eat what I had at our friends’ place yesterday without worrying and then fix it up with a fast day like today (easy peasy), then I think that’s what’ll be required of me long-term.

Thinking about my food behaviour yesterday, I did go back for ‘seconds’ like everyone else. But unlike everyone else, I only had one pre-lunch alcoholic drink and hardly any nibbly things. I took only a very small spoonful of rice at lunch and only because it was curry. I didn’t feel in any way deprived, in fact I have only just realised that’s what I did. I think I’m continuing to be shaped in a good way.

Being overweight is hard. Losing weight is hard. Maintaining weight is hard. Choose your hard.

Lol, not lurking. I was reading a forum on bingeing and someone (from this page) referred to it. I spent about an hour searching for it but couldn’t find it, so thank you in advance for posting it again.

Minka, I agree that the community here makes a huge difference when you’re feeling down. Other forums are informative but this one has a special feel – the support and lack of judgement is the reason, I think. Well done for persevering through this difficult period.

Even though I haven’t been able to eat ice cream for over 15 years, my OH and children still ask me if I’m going to get an ice cream when they get one. The most recent time I explained that it wasn’t worth the effect on my body (lactose intolerance) however I hoped they would enjoy it. It was said calmly but inside my head I was screaming. Maybe one day I won’t have to justify it. Hopefully one day 5:2 will be considered “normal” eating and no one will feel pressured by OFMs to eat things they can’t / don’t want to.

Congrats to everyone here for making a positive change in their lives. 💐💐💐💐

Minka, I missed your post too, somehow. So sorry you have had such a struggle. Congratulations for fitting in 5:2 to keep your good life going. All power to you.
    I had to look up the cartoon: https://beebo.org/lately/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/2003-03-03_leunig-1c.jpg

Hi Craftgirl, You are the first other person I know who stopped eating sugar because it made you feel unwell. It makes me feel poisoned. (It also sets of food cravings).

Bedtime now. Best wishes all.

Hi again everyone including new members!

I still have to catch up on a lot of posts, though I did see reference to a wonderful milestone with the 10 cm extra space GdaySA! Congratulations!

Thank you Craftgirl for the acknowledgement! You might have read in a previous post of mine that having to justify is one of the things I find most difficult. Reading how you responded to your family about the ice cream was very helpful. I’m glad I’m not alone in my feeling of chagrin around that.

Thin, I actually saw your post as I pressed ‘Submit’ as if your post was already there, so I was surprised to come back later and see that mine had actually landed above, not below yours.I wanted to read yours when I first posted, but had to hurry away from the laptop. My posts are often so long winded that I have a window open for an hour or more typing and editing and maybe this ultimately skews the time stamp and post placement in the thread?

Cinque and LJ, I’m wondering how much influence the gut biome has on TDEE? You’ve posed the gut biome theory previously Cinque, though I’ve just started to look into it. Don’t you have a book on the topic? Anyway, more and more I seem to be seeing published studies which link hunger, obesity and gut biome and this fascinates me. I even found a rat study in a science journal in which rats were genetically modified to be obese and even with that obstacle, the alteration/improvement of their gut biome via prebiotics ended up reducing their fat mass development and improved a number of other health markers. Below is a snippet from that study (I’ll post a link to the actual study in the science thread):

“We previously found lower fasting glycemic levels and improved glucose tolerance observed upon prebiotic-induced gut microbiota modulation (20). However, in the
    current study, these changes were also associated with reduced plasma triglyceride levels, muscle lipid in filtration, adipose tissue mass, and oxidative stress and higher leptin sensitivity. This finding suggests that the improved metabolic phenotype observed in the prebiotic-treated mice is dependent on multiple mechanisms.

“Here, we unraveled novel mechanisms linking gut microbiota changes and metabolism in genetic obese mice and found that prebiotics improved leptin sensitivity in
    diet-induced leptin-resistant mice.”

I’m pretty sure it was in an ABC ‘All in the Mind’ podcast that either Dr. Helena Popovic or Amy Reichelt stated that leptin is such a powerful appetite suppressant that scientists regard it as the ‘satiety’ hormone and wish they could bottle and market it since they feel that doing so would greatly contribute to a reduction in the rise of global obesity.

My own prebiotic experiement: Some of you might remember that I’m slowly ramping up my prebiotic intake via inulin. I’m up to 4 teaspoons daily taken in divided doses. I’ll soon be undergoing either a DEXA or DSM-BIA scan to determine the current quantity of visceral fat I’m carrying around and I’ll undergo another scan after I’ve been on 30 grams of inulin for at least 6 months to see if there is any change.

LJ, you’ve inspired me with your posts about tracking data. I’ve decided to start a diary which will track hunger, craving and appetite levels during this same 6 month period. I want to see if ingesting prebiotics in the quantity that I’ll be taking will make any difference to my bingeing patterns or frequency.

P.S. …And I promise this is the last post for awhile! …Yes Thin, I’m having to soon part company with my current little car that I so love to drive. She’s still got so much going for her, even if I do have to hold the gear shift knob into 5th every time I want to go faster than 60 km!

Sorry, just saw your new post Cinque, so here I am writing another! Yes! That’s the Leunig cartoon. Thank you for finding a link. I tried and wasn’t able to! 5:2 is the life I am leading, though the week of only NFDs, I felt like that character in the cartoon walking down that dark corridor! Reading posts here was like looking down the corridor with the light and reminded me it was the life I could again lead!

CG, here’s a link to the cardboard method for testing visceral fat at home. https://www.losevisceralfat.com/visceral-fat-measurement

For anyone interested in gut biomes and their relation to obesity (and everything else), I read a fascinating book last year entitled, “10% Human” by Alana Collen http://alannacollen.com/in-print-2/10human/

Thank you Thin!

Minka, MM has a new book due out next month called “The Clever Guts Diet” which may contain some helpful information. I’ve had IBS since I was 22, so I’ll definitely be reading it. Interestingly though, I find if I cut certain things out of my diet – lactose, sugar and bread – I don’t have many issues and like Cinque I have fewer cravings.

The book GUT by Giulia Enders is a great read and I found it very informative.

Many people including me find that wheat and sugar are problems for the gut. Cheers, Bay 😎😎

Good morning everyone,
    Ooh that MM is cleverly ahead of the game! I wonder if a documentary will come out with his book?

I don’t have a book or any particular resource on the gut thing Minka, I keep my ear out for news though. Thanks for posting those interesting passages from the research. They are finding interesting things about the gut biome and ME/CFS too.

That medical segment I was talking about: she said they tried giving leptin to people to help them feel satiated, but it didn’t work. The process is more complicated.

I’m feeling particularly good today. Lovely day after fast day. My daughter and little granddaughters are coming at lunchtime. The baby has worked out how to crawl. Fun times!

Viewing 50 posts - 11,201 through 11,250 (of 28,012 total)

You must be logged in to reply.