Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,896 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 1 day, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 11,151 through 11,200 (of 28,000 total)

• Hi all

Just back from the Central Market in Adelaide where I caught up with people I used to work with for lunch. Given the array of fresh produce available at the market stalls, I also did my grocery shopping while I was there.

I had a Nonya curry for lunch, which was planned, but in my meandering around the market after lunch I found a Hungarian bakery and bought a bun filled with ricotta & sultanas. That was definitely not in the plan for today – it was very yummy though.

Yesterday’s FD went well. I am back into the routine of 2NFD+1FD.

Tori67 – don’t panic about the weight loss being slow. When you think about it we are only actually dieting 2 or 3 days per week, so it’s not realistic to expect to lose weight as fast as a diet that restricts you to 1000cals every single day. It took me a while to get my head around this, because I think it’s human nature to always want weight loss to happen fast. My first month was a big weight loss but since then I’ve settled into an average of about 1kg per month. On a normal diet that restricts calories every day I lose about 2kg per month so that rate for 5:2 sounds fair to me. It’s coming to terms with the fact that it will take a while and I’ll actually have to learn patience that’s the hard bit.

I wouldn’t worry about the length of time it takes to lose weight. Maintenance is boring! It’s much more fun seeing the kilos fade away, taking photos of your toes on the scales as you reach the various milestones and continually getting compliments. All I can do is endeavour to remain between 60 and 61kgs – ho hum!

Another FD almost finished and very nice it feels too. 300 cals. Enjoy your day tomorrow Thursday fasters, defectors and non-fasters. 😆

Oh Thin you make me smile. I have well and truly fallen off the wagon lately and been trampled by the oxen. So much cake, biscuits and sweets. Had an FD Tuesday and another tomorrow to reset. Surprisingly not too much damage but now setting my mind into losing a few more kgs.

Dad seemed to enjoy his day and I bought Mum home on Monday so that she could celebrate as well but she doesn’t remember any of it.

Tori67, it does take awhile for it all to sink in and sometimes maybe longer than we would like but if you listen to the old timers like a Thin, Cinque and Merry it is a constant work in progress. This is a way of life for life and I guess we all need to remember that when we think it is not working.

Hey, who are you calling an old timer? Well, in fact you’re right, in a few days, I’ll be eligible for a senior’s card. How did that happen? What a scary thought. Are you going for 60kgs, Intesha?

Knew that would get you Thin.

Not sure about the 60, still have trouble getting my mind around that but definitely another 4-5kg.

I still have trouble with the seniors thing. I get embarrassed to ask for pensioner discounts because I don’t want people to know that I am that old, because I certainly don’t look it after losing all that weight 😉😉

Good morning all. What a beautiful day here in the Flinders Ranges. Has been raining steady all night and is expected to continue on all day. Rain is a rare sight here with the last sprinkle being late December.

Moggy had her stitches removed yesterday and has been set free from her ‘prison’ to roam the outside world again – one happy cat indeed. Dad back in hospital overnight with difficulty breathing.

Last night we went to our local for our weekly pub meal treat. A large group of non locals were holding a wake there and by the state of the place and the people they had been there most of the afternoon. They were spread out over the entire pub, jukebox blaring, shouting, swearing, drunk as skunks so we rushed to finish our drink and leave – foregoing the meal. We were hassled and abused as we left and Miss D was very frightened. Im very annoyed at the publican for allowing it to get to that stage and will certainly be saying my piece next time I see him. I also cant understand partying and getting drunk after a funeral – i see it as disrespectful to the person who passed.

Its my ‘bloating’ week this week so scales showing an extra 1.5kg. I can certainly feel the extra fluid retention and struggling to feel motivated for FD’s and exercise.

Haha Thin, beautifully put.
    Enjoy your journey Tori. You are going fine!

LJoyce, what a lovely market day.

It is Fast Day for me today and since I don’t have the excitement of losing weight 😉 , I am going to try to make it a mindful meditation of a day and concentrate on how much pleasure it adds to eating tomorrow.
    Note to self, don’t forget to buy chicken! I’ll have my last homegrown zucchini in my soup tonight. The plants have been pulled out and replaced with chard, lettuce, rocket and hopefully coriander (seed sprinkled everywhere).

Gday, I hope some of your rain might come down here!
    So happy for moggy, and so sad to hear of your bad experience for your pub meal. Best wishes to your dad, I hope he is breathing easier.

Intesha, you will enjoy getting back to everyday eating after all the feasts. I hope you are enjoying your mentee.
    I am glad your dad had a great day, and your mum too. It is a pity she can’t remember it, but that doesn’t stop it from being a good day in her life.

Hi Fasting-me, good luck with your blog.

One small thing to share before I go. I was so saddened, like so many, by the death of John Clarke. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Clarke_(satirist) But the positive, that I have been thinking about since, is what a beacon for good his legacy is, in these worrying times. His compassion, intelligence and humour, and the ability he had to listen, and chat and act with kindness, is a blueprint for how I want to be in the world, and what humanity is all about.

Intesha, I was just planning to use mine to get a reduction on council rates, water bill, etc. I hadn’t realised it might be good for day to day purchases too. Look forward to hearing how you get on with losing the next few kilos. You might have to part company with the piping bag for a while!

Hello SHs, I’m new to all of this and have finished my 4th FD today. I’m lucky in that I’m considered to be a healthy weight, but my waist was too big so I decided to give this a try in the lead up to my 50th birthday in July. My H is doing this with me so it’s both easier and harder. He really needs to lose weight and reduce his waist size and I’m hoping this will work for him. H hasn’t lost any weight yet, but I have lost 1.5kgs and 2cm on my waist. Any advice on what I could do to support my H more while he’s going through this tough start? We haven’t started doing exercise with it yet but I worry that exercise plus 5:2 might slow his weight loss.
    Any advice is welcome!!

Cinque, your words about John Clarke are so true. He will be missed but he gave us so much.

Hi all,
    Missed a few reports of FD’s as I have not been internetting much due to being busy and going to Sydney for Easter for my Nana’s 90th birthday. Great fun catching up with family some I haven’t seen for 10 years.
    I certainly indulged over the weekend and felt like crap by Tuesday morning when I started my first FD for this week and by Wednesday morning I felt wonderful again, it certainly was a reset.
    I didn’t have one egg at Easter but did get to play the rabbit which was tough, hiding the goodies in the car for the trip up to Sydney then in the room at the hotel, I had to sneak around at 11.30pm and proceeded to place the goodies whilst watching the kids sleep and finished with tipping little eggs all over the floor. When my son awoke in the morning to use the facilities, he said he felt things under his feet and then turned the light on see all the little eggs on the floor like rabbit poo. Being 10 I probably won’t be able to sell the story next year but he was mighty impressed with the Easter Bunny’s efforts this year.
    I have been moving FD’s around to compensate for the weekend away and people staying with me before and after going away. I did Monday and Wednesday last week and Tuesday and Friday this week so FD today.
    Meals for FD’s:
    They have been the same except one when I didn’t have enough kidney beans in stock so it was only 50g on one day.
    2 x white coffee 300kj, 500g minestrone soup 800kj, 100g kidney beans in the soup 400kj Total 1500kj or 358cals

CraftGirl, I’m glad your H is along for the ride as you Fast together. It is easier to prepare just the one meal for 2 people, rather than watch someone else eat food that you can’t consume that day. My husband joined me in Fasting with very good results, so it should work for your H too.
    Some pointers: 1] Go for walks together, rather than ‘forcing’ him to go to the gym. Unless he really wants to go there… Walking one Km/day, then 2, then 3 can be a painless way to exercise as well a building up to going to the gym. Any exercise helps! 2] What is being eaten and drunk on a Slow Day? I find that beer causes me to retain weight, so I rarely drink it anymore. Neither does my H, although if we are at friends and one is offered, he’ll take it. Lots of protein is the key. 3] Are you 2 drinking on a Fast Day? Don’t. Save your calories for real food.
    Usually men lose weight at a greater rate than women, so he should catch up.

We had a lovely Greek Chicken Salad for our FD dinner tonight, and the H said it was very good.
    Good Health to you all.

Goodmorning everyone,
    The rain got here! Cool and grey at the moment.

My fast day yesterday was good, and breakfast this morning was sublime!

Welcome here Craftgirl. Maybe read this one out to your H, it gives such a good perspective! https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/really-no-weight-loss/ the top post.

Joffy, Hi! What an excellent rabbit you were!

I’ve got a lovely lentil soup to have today, and I am off veggie shopping with my 5:2 friend, I think I’ll buy things for a chicken and veggie casserole I haven’t had for ages. Winter food is suddenly all the go!

Best wishes all.

Welcome Craftgirl. Congratulations on your early success.

In answer to your question about your OH, my advice is to get a copy of Dr M’s book, if you haven’t already, and read it before doing anything. It’s easy reading, provides the science and answers all your initial questions. If followed correctly, your OH should have lost weight after 4 fast days. It could be something simple like not realising when a FD starts and ends or that absolutely everything passing the lips (including milk in coffee, etc) must be counted on a FD.

There’s a lot of support available on these pages, however, 5:2 is very flexible and we’re all different so what works for one may not work for another. If you’ve first read the book, you’re in a stronger position to make your own adaptations and avoid bad habits.

If you haven’t already, calculate your OH’s TDEE and measure absolutely everything. Invest in a good set of bedroom and kitchen scales.

I recommend your OH first masters the basic premise of two strict 600 cal FDs (which I assume you’re both following correctly since you have lost weight) and then make sure he doesn’t go over his TDEE on non-FDs. Whilst you can eat what you like on non-FDs, this doesn’t mean as much as you like. No-one likes counting calories but, when you’re not losing weight, it’s a good idea to get an estimate. Your FDs will help shape your portion control over time and help you make healthier food choices.

Daily exercise is essential to maintaining health and strength but is unlikely to assist in weight loss. It’s important to remember that you don’t offset estimated calories burned on a FD, it’s 500/600 cals regardless of output.

If all this is done correctly, it might then be a good idea to examine the foods consumed on non-FDs. Many people on these pages (myself included) have found that cutting down carbs helped kick-start additional weight loss. These foods can gradually be re-introduced once goal weight is achieved but try cutting down on added sugar, pasta, bread and rice and see if it has any effect. Alcohol is nutrition-poor and very high in calories. Consumption can lead to increased nibbling on undesirable foods.

You don’t want to make 5:2 like ‘any other diet’ but you also want to see results so you need to determine what works and what doesn’t.

Post regularly for support. Good luck!

Hi all. It’s a fast day for me today and I’m taking a similar approach to Joffy and Cinque – soup with legumes. For me it’s minestrone with canelli beans and a tiny amount of wholemeal pasta. (I’ve broken 20g of wholemeal pasta spirals into tiny pieces so it will look like more in my soup.) I also have a perfectly ripened pear sitting on the kitchen bench for later as well.

Joffy – you made an excellent easter buuny. You also aren’t alone in overindulgence over easter. I certainly had more buns and eggs than were good for me.

Craftgirl – welcome. When you are already a healthy weight it can be quite tough to lose weight on 5:2 so well done on getting that waist measurement down. I concur with Thin’s advice. I certainly had to manage my TDEE on non-fast days as this made the difference between losing weight or not. Initially I monitored calories every day but I did eventually become confident that I understood what my serving sizes should be on a normal day and I no longer need to count calories. If you to the Resources page of this site you’ll find the TDEE calculator, just remember that it’s an estimate of the average TDEE for a person of that age, height and activity level. It will still vary a bit between people.
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/
    As your H needs to lose weight it might be helpful to calculate his TDEE for the healthy weight that he wants to get to, then on the non-fast days he’ll begin to see what his daily calories/foods/serve sizes should look like for good health long term.

Have a good day everyone.

Craftgirl, when I said ‘measure absolutely everything’, I should have made it clear that I was referring to your husband’s body parts, not the food! He may have lost cms somewhere unexpected. It’s advice I wish I’d heeded because, when those plateaus arrive, it’s comforting to note some measurement changes when the scales don’t shift.

LJ, thanks for adding the tip about learning to eat for the weight you want to be, not the weight you are. Not doing this is the reason so many of us have failed on ‘diets’ before – we sometimes forget that, at our new weight, we require a lot less to eat.

Joffy, glad you’ve enjoyed the time with your children, indulged in everything you wanted which didn’t include easter eggs and are now back on track. I hope your pyjamas didn’t fall off your skinny waist while you were hopping around the hotel room.

Glad you had a good FD Cinque. I might be moving some FDs around too as we are going camping next week – the last frontier of travel options I haven’t yet tried in my nearly 3 years of practicing 5:2. It’s been ages since we last did this and we seem to have enough ‘stuff’ to mobilise a small army.

Had an appointment in Mount Barker this afternoon, so I took the opportunity to visit the Salvos op shop – it’s huge and I always seem to find a few things that fit nicely. Taking a leaf out of Cinque’s book.

I was on the hunt for winter clothes and found a Damart violet polo fleece jacket, a leopard print cardigan in various shades of grey and an RM Williams navy moleskin skirt that looks like it’s never been worn. Finding skirts that fit my waist, hips and thighs (which are all different sizes) can be quite a challenge – this one is a narrow A-line and it fits perfectly. I think it will get rather of lot of wear this autumn-winter as I have a lot of tops in colours that will look nice with navy. Better still it’s long enough that I can wear the expensive ankle boots with it that I bought last winter.

Just enjoying a pot of tea and a fresh pear. Most FDs I have one piece of fruit and it always feels like a special treat. I’m really glad I’ve gotten to a point where I can view fresh fruit in a way that I used to reserve for sweet foods like cake & biscuits – progress I think.

I’ve also noticed than now that I’m having at least 2 NFDs between FDs I feel like I ready for each FD and that I need it.

Good afternoon. Wet and grey here. Still. Happy garden though.

Very nice op shop scoring LJoyce!
    And look: you are helping the environment too!
    https://scontent.fadl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18010070_1400766396656011_112981743120143744_n.jpg?oh=77c5eec57b26107526523ae1432e01d9&oe=5984699E
    This week I found a really good pair of shoes (leather upper and sole, not worn, exactly my size and lovely design) and two silver teaspoons with the right sort of handle end that is great for peeling eggs!

I got the munchies today, I was so hungry when we finished shopping. It was 2pm. Had a good lunch but just kept being hungry. Starting to have worrying thoughts that my beautiful homemade bread for breakfast could have set it off. Anyway I kept eating good things until I was satiated in my head, but a bit overfull in my tummy. Hopefully I won’t be hungry later and can just call it a small eating window. That’s the positive spin I can give it! I have certainly eaten my evening meal’s worth already.

Camping Thin! Ooh I miss camping! Are you going far? The open air living always made me very hungry, so I am interested to hear how it affects your eating structure.

Best wishes everyone for a good evening.

Hi fellow SH’s and welcome to those who have recently joined!

I’ve skimmed the posts since I last posted and am happy there has continued to be so much success in our group!

GDSA, I’m happy to read that Moggy is out and about on her three legs and sounds like she’s doing well. Sending you support with regard to your dad being in hospital.

Intesha, I too have been ‘off the wagon’ over the past few days sparked by a friend who took me to a French Patisserie and then more of the same post that visit at her home for afternoon tea. Thankfully, I know there will be a FD coming up in the next week.

I often eat things I don’t truly care for out of politeness, though then I wish I were better able to leave them behind once those foods exit my taste bud area!

I just watched ABC’s Stan Grant interview Professor Robert Lustig on ‘The Link’ after Stan Grant had visited the Sydney Royal Easter Show and asked those visiting the show about the junk food they were choosing to consume there! Professor Lustig said something that so resonated with me and my French Patisserie experience, which is simply that when we eat sugar, it makes us want more because it is a food additive that simply does that to us. Stan Grant protested with an argument that shouldn’t we look to ourselves to be taking more responsibility in the equation and simply not blame sugar itself. Professor Lustig then went on to explain that he thinks that sugar should be taxed extra like cigarettes and alcohol are because he feels it is the root of most diseases!

I’ve had to pass on FDs for a week due to various medical tests that I’m undergoing early next week and I needed a week of NFDs prior to those tests.

Tent camping Thin? I’m both in awe and envious! I love sleeping on the earth and in my own abode and at the same time we haven’t gone camping since I developed adrenal fatigue.

Cinque, here’s to your feeling of deep satiation and nourishment.

I went ahead and bought Helena Popovic’s book ‘Neuroslimming’ which I found at our local QBD bookshop. I’m thoroughly enjoying every page. I like that it focuses on how and why we eat, rather than what. I also appreciate the whole brain neuroplasticity aspect of the approach.

Hi Everyone,

Thank you so much for your advice. I think we’ve got our FDs ok (staying under our limits) but I think the NFDs might be an issue. And thank you Thin, I think your idea of focussing on body measurements might be the perfect answer for H.

You’re all so welcoming and helpful and I’m so glad to have found this forum. I can’t express how wonderful it was to get all your advice.

Hoping you all have a wonderful weekend.

Thin – camping sounds very brave. I thoroughly enjoyed it as a teenager but I’m afraid digging latrines, no showers and a hard earth bed are not an appealing prospect to me these days. But I hope you have a lot of fun.

Good morning all. Have looked back over my daily calorie intake for the last few months and surprised to see my non FD intake has averaged between 900 to 1300 most days. Only 3 times have I hit 2000 so quite pleased with that.

Enjoying re-reading MM Fast Exercise book. Lots of tips that I had forgotten about from my first read.

Oh Op Shops I just love them ! My first weakness is buying beautiful old crockery. Some of the patterns and designs are exquisite. I much prefer to serve food on mis-matched crockery that is interesting and quirky rather than a matching dinnerset. Miss D cringes when we go op-shopping as I spend ages sifting through the plates, bowls etc.

I also follow the local facebook buy, swap and sell pages and regularly buy and sell. This morning I am going to collect 7 pair of ‘only worn once’Just Jeans jeans of various colours for $80. They are a mix of size 10, 11 and 12’s so will be perfect for my current weight and for where I eventually want to end up. I looked on the JJ website and a single pair sells for around $80. I normally buy my jeans from Target Country for $20 which are ok but dont really give the original Levy jeans look.

Have been so busy catching up on posts time has gotten away from me this morning. Better have some brekky and get stuck into my morning exercises.

Happy weekend everyone 😆

Good morning, the sun has popped out!

Minka, what Dr Lustig describes is exactly my experience.
    And I am afraid yesterday’s satiation wasn’t very deep seated, especially because I cooked my chicken casserole and it was extremely delicious. I had a small bowl of it, and then another one. At least I was overeating particularly delicious and nutritious food, but I am hoping today will be more sensible, and I am looking forward to my Sunday fast already!
    That Helena Popovic book sounds really interesting!

Hi again Craftgirl, (and H!) so glad you found some useful tips!

Sunny morning here in Melbourne, between the clouds, and I have had a couple of nights with good sleep so I am hoping to get a lot done! Eep! 10 o clock already!

Wow Gday, and what an excellent bargain for good jeans! Enjoy your day!

Best wishes to everyone!

Minka, I saw Stan Grant’s interview with Robert Lustig last night too. I usually like his work but thought he was very rude asking a question and then repeatedly cutting RL off as he tried to answer. (The reason I can’t stand Leigh Sales). Nevertheless, the message that sugar is not a food but a food additive was strong as was the motivation for governments not to do anything about limiting consumption.

Fingers crossed that all your tests come back as hoped, Minka.

Great op shop haul Cinque, LJ and GDSA.

Cinque, I replied to your question last night but it didn’t post. I think it timed out and gave up. We’re just going down south on a nostalgic trip to a place where 7 families frequently went camping when DD was in primary school. Our group comprised 6 of DD’s classmates, all their siblings and the 14 of us boozy parents preparing increasingly impressive gourmet camp feasts. Plus our dingo. Back then I was eating and drinking for Australia. This time it will just be the three of us and we’re hoping our timing will mean complete silence and tranquility in the woods. These days, one must book and we can see that ours is the only booking!

LJ, unfortunately it’s not remote camping as it’s in a National Park and a drop toilet is provided (eeew). OH and I spent 12 months camping round Australia back in the day and only went in a campsite once – worst ever experience. The rest of it was brilliant, experiencing the real Oz. As you say, our joints are a lot creakier now but we have good gear. Minka, we have a three room tent! OH is chopping firewood as I write.

I was going to do my Wednesday fast as usual and I have planned a good family ‘fasty’ meal for the Dutch Oven. But then I realised I’d have to miss out on the cooked camp breakfast that morning so I’m thinking of fasting on Friday, the day we return. So, LJ, we’ll be able to compare notes on ADF as I’ll only have one NFD before my next FD. I wonder how tempted I’ll be to shovel in food on Saturday. Oh dear, that’s not setting a very good example for our newbies, is it?

Good morning all. Cloudy day here in Brisbane and I’m feeling cold. Hopefully I warm up over the day.
    Just wondering if any of you experience sleep problems with this WOE? For years I’ve had insomnia and for the last 6 months I’ve been using a relaxation app to help me fall asleep. Using it I usually fall asleep within 5-10 minutes but I’ve noticed on my FDs it’s now taking me much longer (anywhere from 20-40 mins). I can tell by how far through the 1hr recording I get to hear. Hopefully this is a minor problem while my body gets used to this, but I’m hoping someone has some more excellent advice for me.
    Good luck with your camping Thin. Excellent shopping GDSA!! Hope everyone’s weekend is a fabulous one.

Craftgirl, I believe others here have reported similar problems so hopefully you’ll get some tips. I was the opposite when I started fasting – a long-time insomniac who fell asleep early in the evening on FDs and slept soundly throughout the night. Nowadays, I’m used to fasting and the days/nights are like any other except that, if I’m hungry, I find it very difficult to sleep. I allow for a little protein before bed if my fast meal didn’t include any (just a spoonful of cottage cheese, for example). Exercise also helps me sleep. I’m interested in the sleep app though!

Thanks for your good wishes for the camping trip – the crazy thing is that we need as much gear for 3 nights as we do for 3 months. I hope you get warmed up over there! It’s a beautiful 28C in Perth today.

Craftgirl I have trouble getting to sleep most nights but it is no worse on FDs for me. I think that’s because I don’t go to bed hungry. I eat most of my calories at dinner time (which always includes some solid protein and lots of veg) and I save enough calories to have a milky drink (tea or cocoa) in the evening.
    If you go to the search function at the top of the screen and type in “sleep” or “insomnia” you will find a plethora of forum threads discussing the issue which might be useful.

Thank you Thin and LJoyce. I particularly like the idea of saving calories on FDs for a cup of white tea before bed. I love tea and drink heaps – with milk on NFDs and black on FDs so that idea particularly appeals. I’m also going to check out the forums as suggested.

The sleep app is by Andrew Johnson. Search “With Andrew Johnson” online as he has a variety of apps on different topics. They’re available in different formats also. I started with the free one but ended up buying Relax + which allows you to pick different topics. I swear by it now and haven’t looked back since a friend told me about him in October last year. I even requested and received a pair of sleep headphones for a Christmas present. They look weird but are excellent and very comfortable to use.

Good morning everyone, it is Sunday Fast Day for me.

CraftGirl, insomnia is one of the symptoms I have with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I am not sure how fasting effects my sleep, I thought it did, but I think that if I have a bad night and it happens to be an end of Fast Day, then I think about hunger, and have a tendency to blame the Fast Day. But actually I just as often have it on other days (when I lie awake blaming something else 😉 ).
    So I am not much use to you.
    But I do hope you find a solution, it is so awful to be functioning without enough sleep.

One thing to watch out for though: if I drink tea in the evening I am up in the night to go to the loo. Other hot drinks don’t irritate my bladder in the same way.

Thin, I hope you have the most wonderful camping trip, it sounds just lovely. i presume you are among the karri? Say hello to them from me!

Best wishes for a good day Everyone!

Thanks for the info CG. One reason I’ve never tried anything like that is because I sleep on my side and change sides frequently so I’d wondered how I’d keep the earphones from tangling up/pulling free. I’ll check out the sleep headphones. Funnily enough, I’ve slept really well the last few nights.

Thanks Cinque. Fasting with you today. Looking forward to it. Anyone else joining us?

Fasting too today just because I am home and felt like adding an extra FD to counteract my recent splurges.

Yay! 😆

Good Sunday morning everyone, and happy FD to the Sunday fasters.

Check in: Happy to report 0.5kgs gone this past week. Started 2nd weekly rehab session/week at exercise physiologist gym. (Not as hefty as it sounds). Thought I’d put on 1.5kgs over time away and Easter, but I weighed in at gym 2kgs higher. However, I realise that pre 5:2 that figure may have been another 1-2kgs higher, and the 0.5kg variation is likely to be fluid/food in transit. No worries.

Welcome CG🙂 Like Cinque I also have ME/CFS, and my wake/ sleep cycle was also damaged. A small amount of protein or a drink of milk just before bed may help. Tea has caffeine so may or may not do the trick for you
    Re headphones- I use normal ones but just have one in one ear, have a small CD player and use talking books. I can wake several times and just turn the CD back on, roll over and shift the headphone from one ear to the other. The cord is rarely a problem.

Cleanout of DFIL’s unit is going well, and I’m managing my energy farely well through it. We’ve worked out the simplest ways to do things so we’re not doing anything heavy. Then comes new flooring, paint etc and a few other things ready for sale. DFIL had a philosophy of giving away not selling ‘things’ so everything is being donated. Being so elderly and having dementia for years has meant the most challenging is resorting all the stuff that’s entirely messed up – photos, computer, old paperwork, matching bits of things to each other. He was like a tsunami on a daily basis.

Off for some R and R today,

Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

Happy Sunday all – a lovely day here in downtown Brizvegas 🙂 I have restarted 5:2 and after reading up on it once again and reading your posts I am motivated to give it another go. I have Osteoarthritis in nearly every joint (I think) had a hip replacement last year and looking at replacing my L knee in the not too distant future. I need to strengthen muscles and lose weight. Off to play in the garden – my fast days will be Tues & Thurs – looking forward to using the tracker. Catchya all later.

As Cinque mentioned, tea late at night can result in broken sleep as you get up to go to the toilet.
    I’ve love my cups of tea, but I only usually drink the decaffeinated version after 5pm. Interestingly when I used to drink caffeinated tea in the evening I’d wake at about 3 in the morning to go to the toilet. Since switching to decaffeinated tea I find that doesn’t happen, despite the fact that I haven’t changed the number of cups I drink. So for me it’s the caffeine not the liquid that’s the problem.

Most decaffeinated black tea that’s readily available is horrible (tastes more like dust than tea to me). I normally only drink my teas in leaf form – brewed in a pot, but the only place you can get decaffeinated black leaf tea is from some tea importers and it’s quite difficult to source. I’ve trekked all over Adelaide trying to find it and currently I have only one source that has it sometimes.
    I’ve tried every brand of decaf tea bags available through supermarkets. I’ve found 5 brands that they stock – lipton, bushells, twinings, yorkshire, dilmah. The only brands that taste OK to me are Yorkshire (which is quite nice) and Dilmah which is OK. The other 3 are so awful I’ll never buy them again.

I’ve created my own earl grey decaf tea bags by taking a large glass jar and sprinkling a few drops of bergamot essential oil onto the sides of the jar (mainly because I don’t want it all pooling in one spot at the bottom of the jar). Then I add a dozen or so decaf tea bags and tumble the jar around for a couple of minutes. Then put the jar in the pantry and leave it for a week or two. By then the flavour will have infused. I’ve tried the same thing with vanilla extract, but didn’t like it as much.

Jenwren, hope your restart goes well. I can tell you from personal experience that getting your weight down before a knee replacement will help enormously with the rehab afterward. I found that water based exercise was the easiest of the exercise options both before and after surgery as it doesn’t aggravate your joint pain (although mine is from RA rather than OA). My physio designed a pre-surgery program of pool-based exercises for me and then a post-surgery rehab program. Good luck.

Hi

I haven’t been on for a while. So since Jan 3 I have lost 15 kgs. I am a little shocked about how fast the weight has come off. I have gone from a size 20 to a size 16. I can now get into a dress I wore straight after I had my first child. I am feeling great! I haven’t managed to start exercise much. I’ve had some on-going issues with childcare, studying and managing a family of 5. However. I’ve not fallen off the wagon. Trying to get a girl friend to do Fasting Diet – she’s done Weight Watchers but the weight has piled on and she’s now the biggest that she’s ever been.

Currently, I am doing a 4:3 particularly over Easter which is working well for me. Requires me to be extra organised for those 4 days where I am eating. As long as I stick under my calories I’m all good. The only consequence is that my hair is falling out and when my hair is already thin it’s a bit of a worry.

KGF

Welcome Jenwren!

Joffy, I meant to write how I delighted I felt reading of your Easter bunny activities. I was impressed at all that Easter ambience you accomplished while traveling!

Merry, all the best with sorting and organizing DFIL’s photos, paperwork, etc. I imagine there are some very valuable and important items mixed among other stuff, well, that’s how my desk looks at the moment and having anyone else sort my piles would be a nightmare! Well done on your post Easter weight shedding results too. I haven’t gotten there yet!

Congratulations KiwisGoFaster on your success with shedding twice the amount of average weight loss. From my understanding average weight loss is half a kg a week and you shed a whole kg over 15 weeks! I’m sorry to read of your hair loss. I’m aware that this a common problem for a number of women in my thyroid group and apparently this happens when their thyroid hormone levels are too low or they have an over active thyroid gland. Another factor can be low iron and or ferritin levels. Anyway, if the hair loss persists, maybe something you could ask your doctor?

LJ, interesting about the decaffeinated teas! I hadn’t ever tried them, though makes sense that they’d taste more like dust when I consider what the teas may go through to have caffeine removed.

Thin, your camping trip actually sounds luxurious and rejuvenating given that you’re going to one place and leaving the tent there, rather than moving it each night like we did on our last camping outing!

Hi Craftgirl, I too am somewhat sleep challenged from my adrenal fatigue issues. Like the others, I find eating protein prior to bed really helps with this. Also, as some of the others have mentioned, I save most of my calories for an evening meal. I’m one who does best waiting to consume my first FD food after 2-3 pm since any earlier feeds my ‘hunger dragon’.

One of the most effective practices that made all the difference and has enabled me sleep better overall is to sit for 20 – 30 minutes in the morning light on my porch (without sunglasses), within an hour of getting out of bed.

Here is a link to the exact program I followed written by the South Australian government:

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0092251

I’m back to fasting tomorrow!

Hi everyone, and thank you again for all the great ideas. Fortunately after yesterday’s FD I fell asleep in just over 20 mins despite feeling wide awake and very alert when I went to bed. Hopefully the insomnia was a short-term problem and won’t be an issue again. I’ve also been busy reading the forums on hair loss while fasting because this seems to be a big issue for me so far. Hopefully again it will be a short term problem, although I think I’ll see my doctor about my thyroid levels. Kiwis I’ll let you know if I find any useful info on this.

I haven’t had any issues with waking during the night since I started using the app even if my tea at night contains caffeine, although I often have a rooibos tea at night (which doesn’t contain caffeine). I’ll keep an eye on this though as I may need to change my habits. Thanks for the heads up, Minka and Cinque. My FDs so far are only one meal at night (about 7pm after H gets home from work). Even though MM and MS talk about only needing 50g of protein on FDs our meals so far have been 50g of smoked salmon and 2 poached eggs along with a large salad. I also ended up having dessert of raspberries, blueberries and strawberries last night. I was still under the 500 calories, but only just. From about 4pm I start to feel hungry but I have water first and then find I’m not so hungry until it’s nearly dinner time around 6.30pm.

Has anyone here tried Fast Exercise by MM? I’ve tried to get the app but it’s not in the App Store at the moment. I want to start using it as I have Jujitsu grading coming up and I think it would be very useful in the 5 weeks I have to prepare. I’ll let you know how I go with the Fast Exercise as well as 5:2.

Hope the camping is going well for you Thin. I too find that camping for 3 days requires as much stuff as a week’s camping. 🙁

LJ I too like Yorkshire tea and agree about the other brands. Some are no more than dust and taste like it too.

Good to hear about your successes, KiwisGoFaster and hello JenWren. I hope to hear more inspiring stories of success over time.

Merry I’m glad the normal headphones work for you. I found my ears really hurt using them which is why I found the sleep headphones. The flat pads for the speakers suit my ears much better.

Happy Monday for tomorrow, everyone.

Good morning everyone.

Craftgirl – I have read (several times) and follow MM Fast Exercise routine. I understand the app is currently being upgraded and therefore not available at the moment. Perhaps go to the FE website for more info.

I do enjoy FE as its not time consuming and I really do feel like Im having a great workout. I also recommend including strength exercises such as weights, stretch bands etc along with your cardio workout to ensure a good balance so any potential weight loss turns into muscle and not flab.

If you haven’t already done so I suggest getting the book to read and use as an ongoing reference guide.

My bloating weight gain appears to be coming down from this morning so happy about that. FD’s and exercise have been going well although my weight loss (apart from the bloating) has remained constant the last few weeks so it might be time to increase exercise and add a third fast day for a few weeks. Any suggestions for getting past the plateau would be most welcome.

The cooler weather is definitely setting in with intermittent rain the last few days and predicted heavy rain this arvo. Miss D has been pestering to bake a cake so looks like this arvo might be the time. I’m going to find it really hard to resist eating the uncooked mixture – I’d rather eat spoonfuls of that than eat the actual cake.

Enjoy your day everyone.

Good morning everyone,
    I haven’t decided yet whether to have a FD today or not, it is meant to jump down rain tomorrow so it may be a better day to not be eating whilst stuck inside, talking myself into it now.
    I have caught the cough and sniffles that’s been around, I didn’t think I would as this will be the first illness caught whilst doing fasting and feeling immune to all things. Maybe I won’t get it as the man cold that renders men into children with the carry on about it.
    Craftgirl, I find eating late around 8.30-9.00pm on a FD helps knock me out but I do end up getting up a couple of times through the night for the dunny due to the amount of water drunk the day before.
    I reckon I could develop a sleep app. with a recording of me speaking of my FD meals since December 2016, “1 x white coffee, 500g minestrone soup, 100g kidney beans in the soup” on Monday 12th December and then on Thursday 15th December I had “1 x white coffee, 500g minestrone soup, 100g kidney beans in the soup” the ears would prick up when I mention I add a coffee in February but otherwise I think it would work.
    Anyway off for a non FD now.

Good morning everyone. A beautiful sunny day here in Brisbane – ready for a day at work, haha.
    Just one more question, (I promise I’m running out of them). Does anyone recommend we keep a food diary of what we eat every day? I had a look at MyFitnessPal but it seems a lot of effort. Maybe just an exercise book with food and drink intake listed? I can add cals or kJs at the side to keep a track.

Thanks GDSA. I’m starting an exercise program today with my FD. I think strength today and HIT tomorrow morning before I break my Fast might be the easiest. I’ll see how I feel this afternoon after work (if I’m up to a HIT session).

Joffy, let me know if you do a sleep app. I think it could work! 😉

Happy FD to those fasting, and hope everyone has a great day.

Haha Joffy, what a fun sleep app that would be!

Wow KiwisGF! What a lovely result. Well done! Enjoy those size 16 dresses!
    I just hope you find a solution for your hair!

Welcome JenWren! Cheers for starting again and good luck! It will be such a relief to get that extra weight off! Glad to have you here!

Another rainy day here. I hurt my wrist yesterday and what with that and fasting, I didn’t do anything else. Feeling very behind with things. But it was a good fast day, and I am now making chickpea pancakes for breakfast. My daughter and grandkids are going to visit, and I am hoping to fit in a document I need to write before they come. (Wrist is much better today).

Thin and Intesha, and anyone else who fasted yesterday, I hope it was a good one, and that you enjoy breaking your fast today!

Craftgirl, a food diary is one of those things some people find a really useful tool, and other people wouldn’t even think about. I am sure someone will have good tips to make writing one easy.
    So glad you got a better sleep last night. I did too!

Minka I am going to try that morning light trick (she says, sitting at her computer in the dark corner of the living room!). Next!

Gday, so glad the bloating weight is going. Oh yes, uncooked cake mix! How we fought to scrape the bowl as kids, and loved our Aunty Edie who let us eat half the cake before it got cooked. No wonder I never liked packet mixes!
    If you don’t want to eat it today, promise yourself the treat when you get to your next milestone!

Merry, well done with that sorting! I hope this is a good week for you.

Must ring up and organise my flu shot!

Now it is pouring rain again, I’ll go out and peep at the morning light at least!

A beautiful sunny 26C in Perth and the day after FD. Couldn’t be better. Yes a good fast thanks Cinque. Look after that wrist.

Joffy, you are too funny. Thanks for reminding us about the sunlight tip for sleeping Minka.

Well done on your big loss KGF. That’s significant. Welcome back Jenwren.

GDSA, for the plateau blues, I don’t feel an extra FD and increased exercise will make a difference. Although I’ve not tried 3 FDs myself, I’ve read plenty of entires on these pages and, if anything, it seems counter-productive in that it’s not sustainable and feels like any other diet. My suggestion would be to try cutting out rice, pasta, bread, added sugar for a week and see if that kick-starts it. I had two long plateaus while in weight loss and I wasn’t really receptive to this advice but gave it a go with some other Perth posters who were meeting for coffee and the difference was significant. It doesn’t work for everyone but it’s only a week out of your life. Good luck with whatever you decide.

CG, ask as many questions as you like. I don’t keep a food diary but others find it helpful. LJ will have something useful to add as she’s currently weaning herself off doing this. My only record is my daily weight and I could add that to Joffy’s sleep app. as it’s stayed within a 2kg range for almost 2 years now. Three cheers for 5:2!

Hi Craftgirl, I use myfitnesspal and would love to track my NFD (Non-Fast Day) calories there, since I would find it helpful to know exactly what my TDEE looks like divided up onto plates and into bowls! I’ve thought of tracking calories even for a day or two to get an idea …Though like you point out, it is fiddly especially when we consume so many home made meals. I’m chuckling as I sit and write, thinking how long it would take entering the long list of ingredients that went into the kangaroo curry recipe I cooked last night, especially since I usually end up putting in whatever vegetables I have in my fridge at the time when I make it, so one batch to the next is never the exact same calories! In the past I have kept an exercise book type record of what I’ve eaten (minus caloric values) and looking back, I remember how much that helped me remain more conscious about what I consume.

I have to laugh Joffy, since even my morning sunlight trick doesn’t help me when next door’s building materials are randomly flapping and banging in the wind and waking me. Your sleep app would be a perfect noise cancelling device for those! It also may subliminally encourage me to eat healthy minestrone soup on my NFDs!

Cinque and Thin, glad your FDs went well!

Intesha did you end up adding in extra FDs? How did they go?

Happy fasting to any who are joining me today.

Hi Craftgirl. When I first started 5:2 back in Jan 2013 I bought a note book and used it as a diary to track my daily food intake and to record my fast day eating and just as importantly (for me) my moods, sleeping patterns, fitness etc. I also made a weekly graph of my weight loss using school graph paper and pinning it up in the kitchen, a great visual, daily note of my success or otherwise. Yes it was a help. It made me much more focused and helped me to a 23 pound weight loss in around 6 – 8 months. I now use that daily diary to look back on my efforts and to give me support in doing 5:2 again, 6 pounds down in 3 weeks. I find doing a daily diary, physically in written form in a hard diary is better for me than using a computer to make notes. You could also have a small note book in your pocket or bag to make notes when you are at work or are out and about to record your food intake and transfer the info to your daily diary.
    Whatever way you choose, good luck.

I’ve noticed just how much stronger my appetite has been as the weather has cooled. On warm days I rarely feel hunger before early afternoon. Lately I’ve been hungry by 11am, so I’ve started making soups regularly so I can use them as the basis for lunch each day, including FDs. I’m also finding that the piece of fruit that usually sufficed as afternoon tea and also as dessert with dinner is not satisfying me so much – I definitely feel like more food now. Last year in winter I had so many issues with afternoon hunger that I switched my meals around and had my main meal at lunch time so that my appetite was better managed through the afternoon and evening. I might have to think about doing that again soon – it seems to be the eating pattern that works better for me in cold weather. First I’ll try the big bowl of veggie soup with toast or a sandwich and see if that solves the problem for now.

I’ve made a soup with sweet potato, carrot, onion, celery, cauliflower, oregano and red lentils, cooked with chicken stock. It’s thick and filling and it’s one of my favourites. I try to eat legumes about 4 times per week as my digestive system behaves better if I do. In winter I find adding them to soups is the easiest way to achieve this, although they do find their way into most casseroles and curries as well.

Craftgril – As Thin mentioned I have been a long time food diarist, but am gradually reducing the amount of recording I do. In 2013-2015 I lost around 50kg, initially with mild calorie restriction and then with a VLCD. From the beginning I used an excel spreadsheet to plan meals and I updated the spreadsheet where I made choices that were different to the plan. I tracked kilojoules accurately in the same spreadsheet and at various times I’ve also tracked certain macro or micro nutrients if I was trying to understand something. (For example I used this to determine how many grams of fibre per day I needed to control IBS symptoms. For me this is 40-50g which is well above what the average diet provides.) At the same time I was weighing daily and also recording exercise hours and intensity. I found it enormously useful at the time as it helped me see eating patterns (like late night eating) that needed to be addressed and I found that if I had to record everything eaten I was less likely to eat as much. It’s a lot of work but it was a safety net that I hung onto for a long time, even after I reached my goal weight, as it also helped me figure out how to maintain my new lower weight and it helped me work out what my TDEE really was. My dietitian has been slowing trying to ween me off of my reliance on this and over time I have also stopped weighing daily (now it’s monthly). More recently I’ve also stopped counting kilojoules and stopped working out how many kilojoules there are in everything I cook. I mentally have a rough idea of the kilojoules in just about everything so that’s enough, I don’t need more measuring and recording than that.
    Food diaries aren’t for everyone. I found them helpful but they have served their purpose now and I’m reducing my recording as I want my approach to food to be “normal”, where I’m eating to my appetite rather than to a plan. I still use the spreadsheet as a planning tool as I find it helps me work out what I am going to cook when, and what needs to go on the shopping list this week.
    I guess I’d summarise my feelings about food diaries as follows:
    – Use one if it’s helpful and only for as long as it’s helpful.
    – If you don’t understand whether your normal eating on NFDs is close to your TDEE it can be useful, but I haven’t had the impression that this is an issue for you (although it might be for your husband, given the lack of weight loss).
    – If you are someone who snacks or grazes, it can be helpful to highlight just how many calories you are eating mindlessly (I was getting 50% of my kilojoules this way until I took steps to change this pattern.)
    – If you don’t understand your hunger patterns it can help you to see them clearly and it can also highlight whether there are certain types of foods that are usually connected to overeating.

It’s a FD for me and despite the cool weather I’m going OK so far. I have a friend visiting for afternoon tea tomorrow so I get to have fun baking without consequences as she’s always happy to take home the leftovers.

Have a good day everyone.

Hi LJ, I’m so impressed with the kilo-joule and nutrient tracking on the spreadsheet and how you utilized all the info you collected. I can imagine the time and effort that went into weighing and measuring, looking up kilo-joules of each ingredient when cooking from scratch. In any case, it sounds very worth it, given your results. I very much appreciated reading your post and found it quite inspiring. As I’ve mentioned previously I’m definitely one who would like to see what my TDEE looks, feels and tastes like and your post has given me incentive to give that a go, if only for a day, week or so. Thank you.

Minka, I’m a retired statistician and my first impulse to just about any problem is “collect more data”. I also did much of the more detailed analysis shortly after I retired – I think it filled a gap with the elements of my work that I missed. I know most will think I’m nuts, but I love playing with data – for me it’s fun to take a huge pile of initially meaningless numbers & words and find the patterns and correlations that have meaning and have something useful to say.
    As couscous mentioned, I also found it useful to have an area in the diary where I could link mood, situation, feelings etc to what I ate and when.
    As for looking up kilojoules every day – I spent much of 2014-15 on a VLCD diet where I was initially only allowed 800 cals per day and then that rose to 1000cals – both hard targets to stay below. There really wasn’t much choice but to know the kjs in a serve of the meal I had cooked as it was too easy to underestimate. I did it for so long, that I now have the kjs for 100g of most raw ingredients in my head permanently.

I know the type of detailed approach that I took would not suit many people. For me it helped me not only understand both my normal eating and also bingeing patterns it helped me work out what foods alleviated digestive problems I was having. I used to have so many problems with IBS and now I have virtually none – due, I believe to my high fibre and high legume diet. I don’t think I would ever have figured this out without the records. I think it also helped me accept my TDEE for what it was as I had proof month after month of what I needed to stick to if I wanted to maintain my weight loss. Initially I was disbelieving and then angry, but once the evidence was strong enough I couldn’t fight facts anymore and had to find a way to work with reality.

Hi again LJ, Wow! I now realize the data was just the tip of the iceberg! Your 2014-2015 VLCD makes the 8 week BSD look like a summer holiday! Good on you for sticking to the 800-1000 calories for such a prolonged period!

From remembering what you’ve written previously, am I remembering that you’ve commented that 5:2 has been as effective as the VLCD in helping you shed unwanted fat or extra weight and that it’s more sustainable? Thanks again.

Hi Minka – as to your question, I’m going to give you an honest answer which may or may not be appropriate for this website. Nothing I’ve tried has actually moved the weight as fast as the VLCD did – but it is really hard core and I never ever want to do something that restrictive again. VLCD diets involve meal replacement products which provide 100% of the micro nutrients need daily. They are only intended for those who are morbidly obese, either as a diet or as preparation for bariatric surgery. They are intended to move weight quickly. I needed to lose the weight fast so I could have knee replacement surgery, so at the time VLCD was a sensible solution. My GP was encouraging me to have bariatric surgery at the time, so as severe as a VLCD was it seemed the less risky choice to me. I ended up losing 52kg by May 2015, had the joint surgery, and then had the enormous challenge of trying to maintain my new weight.
    I came to 5:2 after regaining a small amount of weight late last year. I had been struggling to keep my weight stable for 18 months. I did mange it farily well until last Christmas, but it was a constant battle. As I had a low TDEE and I was always tempted to eat more than I actually needed. I wanted to find a way to lose the few kilos I had regained and I also hoped to find something that would help me maintain my chosen weight long term.
    So far 5:2 has been very helpful at getting the recent weigh gain off and I think it will take the sting out of a low TDEE long term for maintenance – I feel quite hopeful about this. It is a very different approach to a VLDC, and I also think that it is appropriate for a largely different group of people. 5:2 is so much easier to stick to and it lets me actually have a normal life. Because the level of overall calorie restriction on 5:2 is much more modest, so is the rate of weight loss, but it fits really well with my current and future goals. It was also a really appropriate approach for the small amount of weight I had to lose. To be bluntly honest I think 5:2 is an approach that works best for people who are up to approx 10 BMI points above the “healthy” range – perhaps up to 25-30kg overweight. (This just my opinion and is a generalisation.) Some people may cope well with slow long term weight loss, but I know how I react to weight loss, and if it was going to take me several years to shift the weight at 1 or 1.5kg per month I know I’d get disheartened and frustrated too often for my own good. VLCDs are designed for those who are morbidly obese or worse – most of those who I communicated with online for support while on that program needed to lose 50-150kg (very different numbers to most of the people who are on this site). These VLCD programs are so restrictive that they must be done under the supervision of a dietitan or GP. For the first 3 months on the program I had only 3 VLCD meal replacement products and 2-4 cups of veg per day (and 3 cups of tea). I lost weight quickly but it severely curtailed my life – it was almost impossible to have anything resembling a normal social life and the family nagging & sabotage felt like it was unrelenting. In the last 2 years my main goal has been to keep my weight in the range I’m happy with and to develop a more normal and healthy approach to food – this is a long slow process for me as I have many self-destructive habits that led to the obesity in the first place. I actually feel pretty good with the progress I’ve made toward my long term goals and am so much more hopeful than I’ve ever been that I will be able to maintain my weight long term – I certainly didn’t feel like that before 5:2. It has been the right approach at the right time for me, but I doubt it would have been the right approach a few years ago when I weighed 127kg and had to get my weight down to 78kg (BMI 35)quickly before the hospital would admit me as a patient.

Good morning everyone. Another grey wet morning! I have bread on the rise and a cat on my lap though, so that is lovely.

LJoyce thanks so much for such an informative explanation. What a journey you have been on. I hope you are proud of how well you have done!

I have noticed how the cold weather has upped my appetite too, and the cat feels the same! It is nice to get the winter clothes out, and the winter recipes.
    Soups and stews!

Minka, I hope it was a good fast day yesterday. How is your balancing act going with all the things you have on with your life? I hope you got a nice long Easter breaks from your studies.

My wrist is completely better. Phew! Off to try public transport to Docklands today as I think it will be a better option than driving there.

Three cheers to you all!

Viewing 50 posts - 11,151 through 11,200 (of 28,000 total)

You must be logged in to reply.