Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 4 days, 4 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 6,501 through 6,550 (of 28,011 total)

• Evening all – some really good results happening here! BigCol (yeah – me too – happy to now be overweight!!!) and H4 – great effort !!

I’ve finished work now for hols, and have a haircut/ eye treatment session booked for the morning and will be trying to do my first FD while not at work. Have done a liquid only day today, and have an emergency soup in the fridge if I find I can’t go the whole day back2back. Just cramming in FDs now before we fly out Wed.

NikT – some tips from our family holiday in Oz in July. My daughter and I didn’t fast while we were away but as we were staying in serviced apartments, we generally ate lunch out while we were doing our sightseeing and shopping etc, and then we would come home via a supermarket and get the doings for an evening meal. This worked well, because generally restaurant lunches are smaller than restaurant dinners. We also had an agreement with the boys (hubby and son) that we would eat when we were hungry and if that meant we had a hot drink while they ate or vice versa then that would be the way it was. It didn’t come to pass that way, but everyone understood that no one was being forced to eat when they didn’t need to. Daughter and I are pretty responsive to just eating when we are hungry and that certainly helps with the enjoyment of food. She and I were very good at sharing treats. Plus we WALKED! Usually we clock up 10,000 on our fitbits but while we were away we had days when we covered 22,000. I was surprised that we didn’t all come home 2″ shorter – we walked so much.

Hi SH,

wow, lot’s of entries in the past few days.
    I am visiting my family in Brisbane. Have been looking out for my nephews and nieces while sister and BIL were away. So doing a lot more cooking than when by my self. Trying to maintain good choices on NFDs 🙂

I have indulged a few times – a couple of choc coated liquorice; some celebratory ice-cream in a cone last night, a few reds during the week, a little bit of pasta here and there, and so the story goes on but I am not beating myself up over that. I just enjoyed and am looking forward to FDs on Mon and Wed. I will see how well my body reacts to countering those little wayward choices 🙂 I am inspired by your many stories, so fingers crossed.
    Great to hear the news from Jenklkar, revisiting the forum and inspiring me further!!!

Welcome 13Maggie., Cinque and Ogggie.
    I am a Monday faster as well. Then Wednesday 🙂
    Hi Barata. I don’t think I’ve met you on the forum yet. and it takes forever to scroll back and read through everything.
    Have fun at the Cairns Festival, Julie.

Congratulations Big Col, on being OVERWEIGHT!! I can hardly wait to get there as well and have made that one of my celebratory goals too. You must have been very dedicated to 5:2 over the past 5 weeks. Were you?

Thin, if I was in Perth I’d definitely join the ‘cafe club’. Sounds like an extra layer of fun and motivation.

Great stuff Intesha, well done. Is your daughter visiting?

Julie, that Yakisoba 5:2 variation sounds nice. Thanks for sharing. I want to run something by you. When I was doing the Dukan programme, we were advised that genuine sushi rice did not count as carbs and we were free to eat it within reason. Something to do with the vinegar reacting with the make up of the rice and changing something in it’s composition. (I am not technical so can’t explain it properly). Have you heard of this? or anyone else?
    I really like a bit of sushi now and again – guilt free 🙂
    Happy Birthday for Wednesday :))

Thanks Merry. Our individual quirks make things complicated, don’t they? You sound very happy with this WOL 🙂 obviously suiting you.

That was definitely a pleasant surprise, Thin 🙂
    I am a Monday faster. Got through today till 4pm on 2 teas with lemon. I then had a 1 egg omelette with a 25gm spread of avo, capers, and sliced tomato. very nice but I was craving something crunchy – indulged in some stops of carrot with a bit of chilly sauce. Having celery soup with zucchini strips for dinner. Should be a good fast day.

Hilary, sounds like you have been knocked about by the flu a bit. I had a sore throat a couple of weeks ago and someone recommended Turmeric milk. I took it over a few days and it seemed to work a treat. Flu would be hard to home remedy. Hope that things improve for you.. Congrats on your PB!!!!

Well done, Intesha. That goal getting nearer and attainable must make you feel great.

Have a good holiday, NikT.

I am weighing in tomorrow. Fingers crossed,

Coast

Thanks for the welcome Coast. Brisbane sounds busy!

JJ yes we can do it, we both have December goals.

Thanks Coast, my daughter lives in the UK with hubby who is English and my two grandchildren. They visit every year during the British summer school holidays. They went back last Thursday.

Good morning,
    I have just a few minutes before school drop off.

Weight this morning was very disappointing after yesterday’s FD and keeping well below 500calories. I remained at 77.7kg.

Today is FD number 2 for me so I am keen to stick to it and hope for a good result tomorrow.

catch up with everyone later……..JJxx

Thanks for all the encouragement. I am still losing weight now down to 74 kg. New territory. I have been busy getting the garden in order for the fire season. We have had less than half our normal rainfall for the year. Everything is drying off quickly.

Little grandson will have his first birthday in three weeks. There will be a party but mum has said that she will have some healthy food for me. I went to a function on the weekend and had some sweets. For next two days I had a sugar headache. I will have to stay away from the really sweet stuff.

A good side effect is my mind seems to be quicker than ever. I can do a crossword in half the time of a month ago. I just seem to want to get up and go.

Hi GL! Is he your first grandson? My only grandchild (daughter of my only child!) turned one a couple of weeks ago. Such a gorgeous age!
    Congratulations on your weight loss. Best wishes fireproofing the garden. We haven’t noticed the dry here in Melbourne but I can’t help fearing we are at the beginning of another decade of drought. I so hope I am wrong!

Morning JustJulie, on a day like this you have to say that scales are stupid things, and that maybe you will give them another chance another day!

Good morning everyone it is Spring! Not a Fast Day for me, but after a Fast Day, eating normally feels like a treat!

Thanks for the tips Hilary! I’m just going to skip breakfast this time and see how much I put on this holiday, and then will make notes to revise in future as you only live once and should enjoy the once a year holidays…. managed to tip the scales down to 79.8 this morning, so cracked the 80’s, but know I’ll have to revisit when I get home.

thanks Coast – catch you in a week or so!

good fasting everyone – will look forward to catching up on my return 🙂

Bon voyage Nik 😆
    Well done losers.

Cinque, Yes I do think these scales are stupid and am wondering if I should buy some more!!!! I do a lot of on off in the morning with various results.

NikT, congratulations with cracking that 80 mark. I know how that feels too and isnt it amazing!!!! Yes enjoy your holidays and I truely hope you have a wonderful time. Bon Voyage! gokigen yō! Safe travels!

Have just made a pot of cauliflower and broccoli soup and will have this tomorrow. I worked out the calories to about 85 calories for a serve.

Tonight I made a two egg omelette and then sauted some mushrooms with English spinach to put on top. Very filling. Total calories today has been 336. Hope this is low enough to see those scales down tomorrow morning!!!!!

Hope everyone has had a good day and will catch up tomorrow for my big day!!
    ……JJxx

I am on a soup making mission too, but I think I am too tired now, so I will do it tomorrow. Cauliflower without the broccoli (as you know!)!

If you buy more scales JJ, make sure they don’t sell you ones that give disappointing numbers!!

Sweet dreams everyone!

Good morning all. Very happy this morning, after FD yesterday 75.4. Nearly at my first goal weight. Well it was my goal weight until I started to realise that this WOL actually works and I could set my sights lower. The support and encouragement over the last 7 months has been priceless. Thank you.

Happy birthday JustJulie, hope you have a wonderful day. I also have a love hate relationship with my scales. I move them several times until I get the weight I am happy with, sometimes it can be a difference of 500gms.

The little grandson is my fourth one. He has got such a sweet nature considering all the health problems he has had. His next operation is not due until he is about 4.

I mulch mow all the grass which is improving the soil all the time. Replanting all the deciduous trees has taken time and extra watering to get them established. I am trying to put Lilly pilly around the edges to reduce the winds. The frosts sometimes kill them. Still trial and error. You cant stop a bushfire you can only hope to slow it down to give the firemen a chance to get on top of it. I try to keep as organic as possible.

Good morning everyone,
    It is a cloudy morning but the sun is coming through. Exp top 17! Woot!

Happy Birthday Julie! Best wishes for a wonderful day!

GL what a treat to have four grandchildren! But what a worry it must be to have a little one with serious health problems. I hope all goes well for him.

I made the soup last night after all (I think I have a bit extra energy from fasting) (because making cauliflower soup takes SO much energy 😉 ) and I did add turmeric: it is a lovely colour. Only a pinch of chili but it is still pretty hot. Looking forward to it tonight.

I think these forums have gone to my head as I could have waited til Friday for my next fast. But never mind, I am looking forward to it today.

Good Morning everyone and a BIG thanks for the Birthday wishes!!!

OH gave me a gift voucher for my favourite Japanese massage place called “Oiled”
    It is just what I wanted and I am going to keep it for that special day weight-wise!

16 year old bought a beautiful bunch of flowers with all my favorite flowers, Oh will suffer with the lillies!!

Cinque hope you enjoy your cauliflower soup. I had a little taste of my cauliflower/broccoli/leek soup last night after it was made and it was delicious so I cant wait until lunch time to have a bowl! I will continue my fast for as long as I can before having lunch, then tonight we will go to Japanese restaurant and I will select something on the healthier side. I really need to look at new scales after this mornings weigh in, do you have any suggestions on the brands that tell the truth??

Intesha, I am so pleased for you to have reached 75.4kg, you are almost there!!! A BIG congratulations to you!! You are rocking this weight loss WOL! (also a little jealous of you)

GL, I do not have any grandchildren as my eldest is still on the career path, so I do not yet know the joy of having them around, four of them must keep you on your toes!! And the little one’s health problems must be worrying for you, really wish him all the best for his next operation. He sounds very special!

Anyhow my weigh in this morning was so disappointing for me on my birthday as I had such high expectations after two good days of fasting. I hopped on and off so many times and got readings that ranged from back in the 80’s to 75.5! I was going to say thank you to the 75.5 but because they were jumping all over the place decided that it would be really disappointing again tomorrow if I went back up to 77.7 so tried and tried again. Even moved the scales around the house which seems silly but even sillier is the fact that I get different readings even when I weigh myself in exactly the same spot every morning! Then an idea!!! I have an old set of scales that are not digital in the other bathroom, so stood on them. They came back with just over 76, and because they are not digital it is hard to decide what fraction they would be so I decided to accept 76.5 as the estimate for today. Not quite the 75 I wanted, but still I believe I did loose something over the last two days.

Any suggestions on scales that might be reliable? OH says that maybe the bathroom floor is not quite even therefore giving the different readings, but I did not have this problem with my old scales that lasted me for about 15 years and I used the same floor then!

Hope everyone has a great day today and for those fasting ….a happy weight loss!!!

catch up again later in the day……..JJxx

JJ as I said earlier I shift my scales around as well. I have three areas in the bathroom within cms of each other and get different results so I just take the lowest.

I was trying to analyse why I am now starting to lose quicker and the only difference I have made to my diet is that my daughter got me onto water kefir and I have a small glass of that every morning. So maybe it is cleaning the system out quicker. Apart from that I have no idea because I am certainly not denying myself anything. Confession time, Monday I had a lamington, eight squares of caramello chocolate and some honey macadamias. So go figure ?

Intesha, I looked up water kefir and found a lot of information on how to make it. I was wondering how you make yours as everything I found seems very time consuming. Interesting that Monday you ate those special foods and still loosing at a good rate. I am willing to try anything to help along the way. Thanks for the info.

Happy Birthday Julie!,
    How about new scales. These don’t seem to be working properly. 76.5 is still a good loss for you to reach on your birthday. Be happy! You’ve done really well . Congratulations!

GL – grandchildren are such a joy. Good to hear your little one has made some improvement.

Cinque- you’ve prompted me to have another go at the cauliflower soup.

Intesha- sometimes there’s no reason that we can see why we plateau or start losing again or lose heaps, it just does. It’s the long term goal that we keep in mind even while aiming for the short term ones. You’ve done so well, and I’m remembering your fears of not being able to get under 80 or to keep the new weight. You’ve done both. You’re so far below 80 now and you’ve done a great job of sustaining while you daughter and family were here in Oz. Well done you!

Weighing in at 69.2kg this morning which is 100 gm below my weigh in day last week. I’m happy with that, given I’ve been away, other people’s food and birthdays in the mix. Very happy to have sustained last week’s weight:-).

On the countdown now till we go overseas- 6 days. A little nervous at how I’ll manage, but not overwhelmingly so. Have a cold at the moment and want it gone before leaving.

Onwards and Downwards folks,
    Merry

Buttonboots had her birthday a few days a go. She has been very inspirational for a lot of people, including me as I was first starting. She keeps a log/thread where she records her weight, progress and thoughts. She’s had a significant period of illhealth this year but is back to losing again. Inspirational is really the word for Buttonboots. Her tag is in the heading, so head on over and maybe wish her a happy birthday, and if you need inspiration, start at the beginning and read.

Merry, over and out.

JJ it’s easy really I just did a big post for you and lost it. When I get some more time I will do it again.

Hi Julie,
    Bathroom scales all seem to have a mind of their own! They are perfectly ridiculous! And they have a particularly nasty sense of humour. The cheek of them! Treating you like that on your birthday!

I hope that when you get dressed to go out this evening you will notice that you are looking particularly gorgeous, except, oh dear, the outfit is looking just a little bit too loose on you! (That’ll teach those scales that they can’t get away with shenanigans!)

Very happy birthday Julie! Don’t let the lilies get you (I have this problem too). Take a tissue and carefully wrap the ends of the stamens with the pollen on them, gently removing the anther (and the pollen) and bin it!

Can you rig up a piece of board the size of your scales so that you have a more reliable surface? And we all know to never use our scales on carpet, don’t we?

Enjoy the birthday dinner for what it is – a once a year occasion!

Happy Birthday to you!
    Happy Birthday to you!
    Happy Birthday dear JJulie!
    Happy Birthday to you!

Well done all the losers especially the new milestones – Intesha, Merry, you’re stars. I’m having the cauliflower soup now Merry. Give it another go and tweak it to suit your tastebuds as others have done. This feels weird fasting again so soon (after Monday’s fast) so it’s essentially ADF. I’m still at my PB today (61kg) despite the odd meal out and a rather large morning tea yesterday so 5:2 is definitely here to stay to help me sustain this weight.

I’ve finally booked our next overseas trip – hurray – or should I say Olé! Did you know that Etihad have a meal option suitable for people who are fasting? How about that!

Happy birthday Julie!

Hi SH,

many posts in the past few days 🙂
    congrats to all the losers!!!! son=me of you are doing so well.

Intesha, I am sure you will miss them. How long did they stay? but it will probably make it easier to do your 5:2.
    Your snacks sounded so yummy :))

Never mind Julie, that is disappointing. As you say there is always another FD – so fingers crossed for you. I am hoping for a bit of downward movement too :))
    Julie, your birthday presses sound lovely and so does dinner 🙂 have fun.

GL, that sounds so good – being in new territory. I can hardly wait till I can claim the same 🙂 Interesting results re: crossword times – another positve side effect to look forward too. I hope my brain improves before exams in November 🙂 LOL!!!

I agree Cinque – if you don’t agree with the scales just get rid of them until you find a compatible and friendly one 🙂 Mine is very contrary as well, so I want to return mine as I just bought it.

We had a beautiful Spring day on the Gold Coast – just gorgeous!!!

Have a great holiday, NikT.

Good downward trend, Merry. Based on past forum reports, if you can throw in a couple of FDs, you should have noting to worry about except having a great time on you trip 🙂

Well done on your PB today, Thin. When are you planning your trip for? I presume, to Spain? Olé!!

I will weigh in tomorrow. Had a good FD today,

Coast

Firstly, a very Happy Birthday Julie. Hoping you have an Ab Fab day today and get totally spoiled!! You deserve it. Thinking a new set of scales would be a great gift for ya!!!

I’ve been MIA for a few days, as we have a big family party this weekend and I’m trying to get organised beforehand. Why is it that “other stuff” always seems to come up at these times! Pulling my hair out….. I have been reading all of your stories when I get a moment.

Bon Voyage Nik….have a great trip and well done on breaking through to the 80s!
    Anyway, congratulations to all losers; Intesha for almost hitting that first goal (remember those early days, girl!!!) and those of you reaching PBs (well done Thin & Merry)

Oh, and Intesha…..lamington, caramello and macadamias….nuf said I think!

Maybe we should start a Spanish theme Thin!! If that’s where you’re going…..could also be Mexico I guess.

Enjoy the rest of your day. CM xx

I am in Melbourne have been doing this for 6 weeks mostly mo and wed fasts then 16/8 on the other days except weekend when hubby insists on offering a glass of red.
    I have 1 Friday and Saturday nights and that’s it my loss so far 5kg need to lose another 10 but Ian happy with the progress.
    Need to be ready for our European river cruise September 2016 watch out !!
    Discovered this through a friend who wanted to sell the book- bought it never looked back
    Fast night so early to bed feel unusually perky tonite
    Thanks for the forum !

Hey Coastcat, CM and welcome Rossi & good job on the loss so far.

Keeping warm CM, EA and Freya? Can’t believe how cold the nights have been in Perth.

Yes, it’s Spain (details to be determined, just relieved to have made a decision at last!). Plan to also visit Portugal, Andorra & Canary Isles (well, OK, that is Spain). Speaking of scales, I must buy the petit mignon now.

CM, I was also thinking about nominating Spain as the new theme but only if everyone’s ready to move on – and what better way to end the Japanese theme than with JJ’s b/d celebratory Japanese dinner? Here’s hoping you all have some tasty, healthy and slimming Spanish food ideas to share because all I could think of was risotto, paella, bravas, croquettes ……. oh dear.

Hey JJ, hope you’ve had a wonderful day and dinner.

Have a look at waterkefirgrains.com it has a lot of information on it and easy to read. I make mine with 60gms raw sugar, 1/2 lemon, a few mint leaves and two small pieces of unsweetened dried mango. It really is easy to make once you get started. I have a small glass full every morning on an empty stomach.

Thanks Merry and CM, yes I really was at desperation stage but I guess it happens to us all until your mind gets adjusted to how this WOL works.

Have a great holiday Merry, if I can get through 5weeks of having my family here you will breeze through the holiday.

Good morning SH,

Checking in: let go of 500gm (1/2kg) in last week.

Very pleased. Maintaining reduction, even with a week holiday with a few treats 🙂 and keeping to my plan of having a serve of carb each day (except FDs of course).

Total let go since 1st August: 6.5kg and 16cm off my curves.

I am nearly at my first mini- goal. 1.5kg to go!!!!
    Other mini-goals for me could be:
    Reaching BMI 35; letting go of 10kg; letting go of 13kg; becoming OVERWEIGHT LOL!! THAT ONE WILL BE A MAJOR MILESTONE- I haven’t been overweight for at least 10 yrs.

good luck to all the FDs today,

Coast

Good morning, I felt yesterday that I didn’t like doing Fast Days with only one non Fast day in between. But then by the time evening came it wasn’t so hard.

I had the Cauliflower Soup but realised it really needed that bit of sour cream to round it out and make the spices all go nicely together. I only put a small amount in, and it made all the difference to the taste.

I have some left for lunch today, and more in the freezer for next week.

I hope you had a wonderful evening JJ.

Hi Rossim01! Fellow Melbournian (back to rugging up for the rest of the week!)
    Isn’t it nice to be losing the weight and feeling healthier.

Aha! There has been a Japanese theme! It all makes sense! A Spanish theme sounds wonderful!

I finally worked out the joke of getting to be overweight (sometimes I am so slow!). It will be a great celebration Coast!

A non fast day for me! Yippee. I have bread rising, yummy chicken cooked, and some veggies to be inspired by: thank goodness, because I have a busy day with TWO things on (one is usually all I can manage).

Best wishes to everyone for a particularly good day!

Hola! Beunos dias damas y caballeros!

I am unofficially officiially announcing that Cherry Blossom time has finished and let the Spanish Fiesta begin!

The Rules.
    1. There are no rules.
    2. Any ingredient, recipe, dish, cooking method, restaurant can be tried. Results to be reported on please.
    3. Wearing red is optional, as is wearing frilly Spanish dancing dresses or matador jackets. Spanish aprons?
    4. Large octopi are banned from the Merry household.
    5. Seafood is the queen and meat is the king of Spanish protein but white beans come in as the crown prince.
    6. Smoked paprika, paella, tapas, oranges, almonds and el pan (bread), rioja, sangria ( for those who still can and lose weight)
    7. Singing around the table is good.
    8. Cheese…hmmm…Manchego and Galician ( said with a ‘th’ instead of a ‘c’ please) come to mind.
    9. Watching the movie ‘The Way’ starring Martin Sheen is optional, and Rick Stein’s DVDs on his cooking trip through Spain may be interesting.
    10. Enjoy, share, and especially, have fun.
    Oh, and running with the bulls is very optional!

Let the fiesta begin:-)
    Adios,
    Merry

How could I forget…..jamon! Ultra thin slices of cured ham rather like prosciutto.

PS. The only wheat bread I’ve ever eaten I’ve had no discernible reaction to was in rural Asturius. If I could import it I would.

Cheers,
    Merry

Olé!!!!

well said, Merry. LOL!!!!

I remember fantastic cavern like Jamon Bistros in Barcelona where all they sold was Jamon and mustard in hot crunchy rolls served with sparkling sweet white wine. The place was packed every afternoon – mainly men on their way home from work.

An addition for NFDs – I’ll see if I can work it to fit 5:2 🙂

Coast

Merry, you’re a real foodie and very amusing. It was Rick Stein’s trip around Spain in that old campervan that first peaked my interest. The ability to walk to a fresh food market and select the day’s ingredients really appeals to me (although I guess those in Melbourne & other parts can do this). And I loved that villa he rented with the gorgeous views from the kitchen.

Well done Coastcat. You’re well on your way. Glad you like the soup Cinque.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Hi Rossi and welcome to our nutty bunch! Good luck on your journey…..this really does work.

Yes Thin, we’ll have to work on that Spanish theme…..how about tapas dishes like frittata, eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce (like shakshuka, but Spanish!) almond soup, grilled peppers, gazpacho and those amazing anchovy stuffed olives….there you go, there are some things that don’t contain bread, rice or potatoes!!! Love pata negra too….jamon from the black pig – but VERY expensive! Must try those fidelio thingies you make too! Also we could make some “paella style” saucy topping to put over slendier rice…it might work. So, Spanish theme it is.

Intesha glad you’re enjoying water kefir. Very good for you too. I’m on milk kefir for the calcium.

Well done Coast….I’m sure you’ll be overweight very soon!

You’re making me hungry Cinque…love making bread too.

Hey Merry, what about that tomato throwing festival too! That’s in Spain isn’t it!

Have had a couple of good FDs this week, but blimey it’s been cold here. The Hairy One’s big nose is soooo cold and wet in this weather, first thing in the morning! At least today is lovely outside & I can finally get some washing done. Cooked all day yesterday and at the end of it I couldn’t be bothered eating dinner….I was just over it! Might have a new PB tomorrow….so I’m going to be REALLY good today! Maybe a mushroom omelette for dinner.

Enjoy the rest of your day. Weigh-in tomorrow…..good luck everyone! CM xx

My goodness! I disappear for a while and I have missed congratulating losers, kicking up the bottoms, wishing people happy holidays and birthdays, welcoming newbies etc etc. So consider it all done in this post.

But a special well done to CM on your recent blood work results – blooming marvelous.

Well, I am sitting on the 65.55 mark for another week.

Interestingly, some of you were talking about poor food choices. Well, as you know I am partial to fish n chips from the British Chippie and once again, the hubby and I succumbed at the weekend (followed by a hot choc for the drive home). My goodness, we both felt soo sluggish and tired that it pretty much wrote off the rest of our day once we got home. We have decided not to do that again!!! The hubby isn’t officially doing the 5:2 but has been doing it naturally because he is busy at work. So, there you go. My body is rejecting certain foods (and I don’t know if I’m happy about that or not ha ha).

I’ve been busy all day today until finally sitting my bum down to try and catch up on all your news. I’m fasting today as switched from Wednesday – I kinda like the the two day break rather than the one. So, I am hoping to hit the 64’s tomorrow morning.

Thin and CM – yes it has been very cold here but I can’t complain (as long as I have wood) because once it gets to 40 degrees everyday, I will be a proper whinging pom.

All the best for fellow fasters today. Chicken, egg and veggie soup for me tonight.
    xxxx

Fiesta time – ah the tomato flinging!

Put them on the plate I say,
    They’re good food for a great FD.
    Add some fish, and a clam or two,
    And no, it’s not quite Galician stew,
    But add some stock, and something green,
    Make a great soup, and lick the plate clean!

(And don’t eat at 4pm, because that’s official chocolate and churros time)

Am starting to pack, and hoping to get over my current cold before Tuesday when we fly out….the 3rd cold this year…..is it my imagination or are there really more bugs around this year? However, am packing size 14’s, yay! Also packing my little yellow Petit Mignon travel scales which weigh 504gms.

Not sure that I can contribute much to Fiesta food as we’ll be 16 days in Turkey, then wandering up the river from Budapest to Amsterdam. Currently we’re eating up stuff at home, mmmmmm….. maybe we can make it Spanish-ish with some tomatoes, olives and smoky paprika.

Anyway must go, FD today and off to make a meal out of leftover lamb and random stuff from the freezer and pantry shelves.
    Adios
    Merry

Wonderful poem Merry!

I am looking up Spanish recipes. Not really a fan of chorizo, but love those white beans! Potato and spinach frittata is on the cards for a non Fast day, and I’d like to try an easy, small, paella.

I also watched and loved the series Rick Stein made in Spain!

Hi folks,

Can I have winge? Have been up but gone back to bed for awhile. My cold turned into tThe-Cold-From-Hell overnight, and slept on and off propped up after Other half (OH) did a quick trip to the night chemist. However, day after FD and was 68.6kg this morning – a new Personal Best (PB). My weigh in and record on my graph day is Monday, so hoping to sustain that till then. Talk about being miserable and happy at the same time. Working on being in much better condition when we board the plane on Tuesday although right now I wouldn’t want anyone sitting next to me. Trying to decide if I do FDs on flight days. We stop 24 hrs in Singapore so I can catch up on rest.

Usually I do 16:8 on non-fast days(NFD) but Dr gave me antibiotics to counter sinus bacterial infection that I’m prone to, so I can fly OK and it’s take after food, so ate much earlier today. Can’t smell a thing! Am supposed to be going to the funeral of a special neighbour today. 52 yrs old single lady. Cancer is a rotten thing. Maybe I can go and sit in the back corner, and not go to the wake.

Sorry to be miserable this morning.
    Merry

Hi Merry, I’m sorry to hear that you are not well. I’m sure you will feel so much better on Tuesday – maybe your body is shedding all those germs in double time to ensure you are fit and well for your flight. My condolences for the loss of your neighbour. Get today over and done with, have an early night tonight and tomorrow will be a better day.

But on a positive note, well done on your PB this morning.

I am one happy little bunny today. Weighed in at 64.8 and body fat 28.1%. So that is about 8 kilos since May.

How did our other losers do?
    xxxx

You certainly can have a whinge, Merry. Plenty of shoulders here for just that purpose. I hope this bug will be history before you take off. I like rioja, but can’t get much here at a reasonable price. 🙁

Spanish / Mexican – good idea. One of our favourites is Mexican, from our time in the US. Lots of recipes, please 🙂

Hi Coast. Yes, I’m only occasionally posting these days, but keep an eye on the thread and all your progresses.

Afternoon all and great news EA and Merry on your achievements. Well done both of you. Very happy for you. (Sorry for your loss Merry and get well soon).

Thanks for embracing the Spanish theme everyone. You’ve given us lots of great ideas there CM. For a filling FD recipe at only 142 cals, try the Spanish Fideos on the Slendier website. All the better if you’re fasting with your OH as the Slendier packs are designed for two but you can easily make it for one. Simple ingredients that I bet you already have in your pantry.

Love Mexican food Barata, we used to live on the border and were regular visitors to Mexico. We could pop over for dinner or to stock up on kahlua & tequila. I love fish tacos. Of course the food you get in the USA is not authentic Mexican but known as Texmex (carne asada burritos, enchiladas, etc). I love chicken mole and some of the home-style cooking found away from the tourist areas. I’ll have to re-visit my Mexican recipes in the context of 5:2 as I suspect they’ll be none too healthy….

I bought myself some new pants this morning. Feeling pretty pleased with myself as it was a great sale price. Got home and OH asked me to model them. I thought they were possibly slightly on the loose side but he says they are “way too big”. I just can’t seem to accept that I might really be a size 10. I suppose they’ll have to go back. Can’t decide whether to be happy or sad about that! 😆

Hello everyone, It seems such a long time since I have posted anything but really only two days! Thank you to all of you who gave me birthday wishes, this year was really special with so many wishes from you and other friends, I am so happy that I have so many friends from near and far!
    Well yesterday I went to my physio who has been trying to help me with my shoulder pain and who then decided that it is worse than first thought and asked me to get an xray and ultra scan referal from my GP.
    I organised for appointment this morning and that is all good!
    We discussed my weight and he is so happy that I have lost 7kg in the time frame, but out of interest I decided to weigh myself on his scales and to my surprise with full clothes on my weight was only a 300g more than my scales naked and first thing in the morning!!!!!!
    Now I need to look for more scales!!
    As I said my doctor was very pleased with what I have been doing with the weight loss, and as you might remember it was him that suggested this in the first place. We discussed how I feel now compared to about 8 weeks ago and there is definitely a change in my food choices and my body’s reaction to foods that are not good for me.
    I will visit him again in another 8 weeks for further progress information.

Now……My birthday dinner was so good. I selected the shabu shabu beef salad which consisted of very thinly sliced beef cooked in the shabu shabu broth then placed onto a salad of lettuce and other good salad items topped with a miso/garlic vinegarette dressing. I had the set meal that meant you got miso soup with also a dessert. My daughter had the dessert.

So I am very happy with my choices and how my birthday did not increase my weight!

I loce Mexican foods and the spicier the better! So am now looking to find some recipes for our next food theme.

This weekend we are going to have a family roast, but I want to cook mediterranean vegetables as our garden has now started to produce carrots and beetroot. I usually use cherry tomatoes, carrots, beetroot and capsicum then add potatoes to the roasted vegetables. We are trying to decide whether to have roast chicken or Finnish beef potroast. (the beef will probably win)

sorry if I dont answer any questions this time as there was so much to read through……Missing just one day makes it all difficult to respond to.

I really love being able to talk to everyone of you who are on this site. I talked to another person today about this WOL and they may join in soon.

catch up again soon……JJxxx

Welcome to the newbies, and congrats to the downward trenders!!!!

Rossim01, letting go 5kg is great. Well done. You have lots of time to achieve your goal. Keep focused.

Hi Cinque, yes, reaching my Overweight BMI will be a milestone 🙂 Glad you worked out what you liked with your cauliflower soup. Have you been eating carbs on your NFDs? I am trying to keep them in my diet, to keep as balanced as possible. So far I have been able to keep the downward trend, but probably not as fast as if I didn’t eat carbs.

Thin, some Spanish ideas will be nice. We are learning so much to create variety in our foods by using new ingredients, spices and herbs.
    How great is your clothes buying experience. Not accepting that you are now a size 10 …. LOL!!!! come on girl, you have to own it!!

Julie, how was your night out?
    Ah, you had a great night – I just read about it 🙂 wonderful!!
    Congrats on the weight loss and the positive response of the doctor. I can empathise about the shoulder pains and procedures you are having to go through – I just had shoulder surgery myself (well it was 2 months ago) and it is just coming right. I had tried everything before hand – physio, steroid shots etc and had been battling chronic pain for many years. I was really scared about the op as I have never had one and heard lots of negative reports about success rates. I am happy to say that so far so good! Keep us posted and if I can help by sharing my experiences, please ask.

Hi Barata, it will be nice to have your experienced input into the Spanish / mexican theme.

Merry, so sorry to read that you had a relapse. Hoping that you manage to get over it soon and that it doesn’t interfere with your travel. Congrats on the PB. Are you a bit over your misery :)) I loved the poem and can’t wait to hear some inspiring recipe input from you.

I think I have caught up on everyone now.

I am doing NFDs now until FDs and Monday and Wednesday. I probably wont come on line again until after weigh-in on Thursday.

It’s hard to leave replying for too long though. Congrats to all the letting go of weight this week,

Coast

Hi Merry, I hope you get through the day okay. I hope your neighbour had a good farewell, and that the cough meds are working.

I am so glad you had a lovely birthday dinner JJ. Sounds delicious. Your scales are obviously evil. I’m glad all is going well at the doctors.

Thin, I’d be cheering that you have to take those trousers back! Ooo such pleasure.

Thanks Cinque and Coastcat! You’re both right. I’m happy.

Glad you had a good birthday JJulie. Agree, it’s hard to keep up with posts if you miss a day. Or even a few hours sometimes. I’m sure we’re all forgiven if we don’t reply to everything. Well done with your weight.

Coastcat, what surgery did you have done on your shoulder and what was your diagnosis?

I think I’ll do a FD tomorrow and then I’ll be free to indulge in whatever teen comes up with for the other FD (Fathers’ Day) on Sunday. So, might see some of you on here tomorrow.

Meanwhile, congratulations to you three, CC, JJ and Cinque, for fully embracing this WOL. Over the year or so I’ve been on this forum, we’ve seen lots of people drop off so 5:2 isn’t for everyone. Well done for sticking with it. And everyone else I’ve forgotten.

That’s it from me for tonight.

Hi Thin,

X-rays and scans revealed bursitis in the shoulder, treated with medication, physio and steroid shots.
    Later scans showed a tear in the ligament. Doctor referred me to surgeon who picked up that I also had a calcium spur growing on the edge of my rotary cuff positioned right over the tear. The tear could not heal because of that. The spur was also causing impingement of the muscles and ligaments.

The operation was on the rotary cuff. They cut off the spur, cleaned out arthritis they also found, sewed up the tear.
    It was supposed to be key hole operation – leaving just three littles holes.
    I ended up with a 7-8cm incision on my shoulder with 8 huge steel staples – a bit Frankensteinish …. LOL!!!

My recovery was much slower than I had anticipated. I did not move from the house for about 4 weeks, couldn’t drive – only just got written permission to do so a couple of weeks ago.

I hope that explains what you were enquiring about.
    (I hope it’s not too much explanation, sorry if it is)

oh, and I put on heaps of weight during that time which I have now lost with the help of 5:2 🙂
    so I am back to what I was just before the operation, maybe a little less, so this is all for me now.

Coast

Viewing 50 posts - 6,501 through 6,550 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.