Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,907 replies, has 831 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 4 days, 15 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 6,401 through 6,450 (of 28,011 total)

• Thanks EA! You know what….this is a new way of life we’re creating, and you did well. You had some of what you love, you don’t eat it regularly now, you ate a smaller portion of the f & ch and the hot choccie., then went home and did some exercise. And you lustened to the 2 angels sitting on your shoulders. Well done. (There’s a cartoon in there somewhere).

Merry,
    (2 weeks to go till I’m off in a jet plane. )

Thanks Merry. Yes, those two angels are keeping me grounded now.

I am sure these next two weeks will fly by and before you know it, you’ll be up up and away. Exciting.

EA
    xxxx

Help Please! I can’t find my 5:2 Book. Would anybody be able to tell me what chicken breast is both weight and calorie count please? Thank you xxxx

Hi. I just started today! Chicken breast, fat removed120g (1 medium) 175 Cals.
    Cheers, Cate (with yet another herbal tea)

Great, thanks so much Cate and welcome to the 5:2 club. I hope your first day has been successful.

With a very dry year I have been busy in the garden getting the grass down for summer. With the weather being fine it was good to be outside. Today was a bit chilly to start off with but I needed to plant out some summer vegetables. Three of the six beds have been planted out and the sweetcorn and tomato beds go in next month hopefully I will get something. By sitting down and weeding I was able to keep out of the wind.

The weight is falling off. About a kg per week. Loosing weight has never been this quick. I have only lost it in 10 kg lots and then plateau. This has probably reset my metabolic rate so when I jumped back up to 89 kg I felt awful. That was when I found the 5:2 book.

Last years mothers day I was told that my little grandchild due later in the year had a heart defect and probably would not make it full term. However he beat the odds and got here. In his first nine months he has had 5 ops. The one in Jan was touch and go. Last month the latest one he should have been out in 4 days but we were there 10 days. I have had 4 mercy dashes to the RCH in the last 9 months. This was the emotional eating. On a good note the little block has beaten all the odds and will only need one more op when he is about 4.

Hello all. Does anybody have the Eat, Fast, Live Longer doco link they could put up please? CM I think it may have been you that put it up before but I’ve scrolled back and cannot find it. I watched it at the time but the hubby didn’t and now he is asking to watch it. I can’t remember what it was on as I hadn’t heard of it before. It was like you tube but not. Thanks.

PS – CM, it is almost bedtime – did you get through today in one piece?

xxxx

EA, it won’t let us give the website address but try this cryptic version: daily motion (all one word) dot com and then type in eat fast live longer. When I type in Eat Fast and Live Longer, that’s the first option that comes up so do it either way. D’oh, just realised I can email it to you.

I’m not sure if you’re off the hook or not actually. Still in the 65s so I guess so. For now. You asked about my FD yesterday. I thought of you as I was so cold & tired all day even though the house was warm. At 5pm, we had the root and barley soup and I instantly felt warmed and nourished. It was delicious. After that I was fine, knowing I could last until my egg at 8pm and then make it through until the morning.

I thought that fasting was supposed to replicate feast and famine and, in the latter state, we would have to be alert with our brains functioning well in order to find food, remember where it was, how to catch it before it ate us and so on. I find I’m the opposite, I can’t think straight, have to keep re-reading recipes to get the right quantities and I get very tired. So much for keeping dementia at bay.

Anyway, I had a lovely day today, rewarded myself with a great massage at my Chinese place and tonight had some chili con carne comfort food.

Well done girls, you’ve made it through another day. And Merry, not long until you join us in the low 60s.

Hi there. Yes, made it through today just. Had dinner out on friday night (carbs!) & it really threw everything out over the weekend….up 1.7kg! Yikes. Very low cal day Sunday, but not a FD. So today I’ve been hungry but kept myself occupied. Had another cracker of a soup tonight using the Dashi Miso base. Loved it. EA, I see Thin has given you the link to the doco. Hope OH enjoys it. Nite guys. CM xx

Good morning and checking in after FD:

Had a very good FD – no deviations.

Doesn’t look like I have moved at all.

I am at my sisters for a week. Should have weighed myself when I arrived to give myself a baseline but I forgot in the excitement of arrival. As it is different scales and I know they show different weight from mine from other visits.

oh well. Will see how I go after next FD on Wednesday :))

checking out,
    Coast

Don’t worry Coastcat, it happens. CM, I have a similar story – what was that about re-introducing carbs? It’s not going to work for me. Haven’t had bread in any form for months and months. Last night I made chilli con carne and decided I’d have a quesadilla with the OFMs. Big mistake. Up half a kilo this morning. Looking forward to tomorrow’s FD therefore. No wonder that in the past, without the benefit of FDs, we slowly piled all the lost weight back on.

Been a bit lax lately – daughter’s birthday at the weekend which involved dinner at a Mexican restaurant on Friday and family dinner at ours on Saturday (roast chicken with all the bells and whistles followed by decadent chocolate cake, then drinkies and nibbles later in the evening). The choc cake doesn’t do it for me – I have a tiny sliver to join in, but I did down a 500ml bottle of cider and thoroughly enjoy that!
    I had my first fast day for 10 days yesterday (due to flu), down to 64.8 (new PB) this morning. I felt ok yesterday although a bit chilled at times – still struggling to finish teas and coffees because they still taste weird at the moment. Got home from work about 5.15 and made a mushroom omelette almost straight away because I was hungry and cranky. (I’d had a chicken noodle soup (46 cals) and a few small tamarillos at work (21) as well as hot drinks.) Had a couple more cups of tea then headed for bed about 9.30 to read my book.
    Another 1.6 kgs off and I’ll be at the weight I was when I married nearly 25 years ago – that’s exciting! I wonder if my wedding dress will fit – I’m not the same shape I was then.

Hi SH,

Just caught up with all the news from the past few days. Good work for those who let go of some weight and keep at it for those who have stalled :))

Great news NikT!!! such a good feeling. Nearly there – can’t wait to hear that celebratory news 🙂

Apparently my new scales have gadgets, but I can’t get them to work. Not sure about how correct the scales are jet.

Merry, that is a good loss. Well done!!!!
    Thanks for sharing what you had eaten – sounds really good and definitely a good strategy.. Did you go no/low carb for the full five NFDs?
    I second all your tributes :)) I am looking forward to good like time results as well and find inspiration in all your success stories :))

Angel, that s not good. A good thing for the rest of us, who may not know, to be aware of..

that’s wonderful EA – had your fish n chips but mindful of your other choices and so you didn’t feel deprived AND still managed to stay inside your weight boundaries. Well done 🙂

Welcome CateAus!!! Hope your first day has been great. You will enjoy this journey – being inspried by all the amazing, continuing success stories 🙂

GL, what a hard journey your little bloke has had to endure. So glad to hear he has been battling through it all. Congrats to you on facing your challenges as well.. Have you made a dent in that 89kgs?

This, I’ll have a look at that doco too. Where to I find the recipe for the root and barley soup? sounds nice.

So far I haven’t had those symptoms on FDs. Thank goodness. But my journey has only been a millisecond compared to all yours 🙂

CM, that’s always a shock, isn’t it but you can be confident that the FD will adjust that, can’t you? This is why I am not going to weigh myself after NFDs, because it seems inevitable that there is a spike. I can’t take the stress … LOL!! Tell me about the Dashi Miso base soup please? sounds interesting.

Morning All.
    Hi Cate and welcome to our crazy gang….well most of us anyway. Congrats on starting 5:2 and if you have any questions, ask away. Someone will chime in to answer. Good luck, this really works!

GL – Going really well and so glad your grandie is making such great progress …modern medicine is amazing.

EA – Happy you could hear our “little chirping” in your ear over the weekend!

Glad you’re feeling better Hilary, and a PB too! That’s great. How has your body shape changed if you now weigh the same as 25 years ago??

Thin, I normally feel pretty good on a FD, as long as I keep busy. If I slow down or sit for any length of time, my brain also slows down & I get hungry. Not sure if it’s connected or not….but interesting.

I didn’t think my meal on Friday was THAT bad – 2 small ravioli w/ seafood filling, an Asian braise with RICE & shared a sago pudding….oh, & a couple of glasses of wine. The only difference this time, was I didn’t treat Friday as a FD, up until dinner. Sat morning I was up 2.1kg! Anyway, it’s coming off, only .8 to get back to Friday’s weigh-in and I think that will be tomorrow. Actually I just checked online & I have realised I had carbs for every course & sago is very high carb, as is the rice. Lesson learned!

Coast, the Dashi Miso paste I get from the Asian shop. This is the brand I like. http://www.sushisushi.co.uk/products/dashi-miso-paste I just bring a litre of water to the boil, turn the heat down and add a couple of tbsps of the paste. I also add a tsp of Korean gochugang, which I use a lot if I want some heat in soups/stirfries. http://www.thekitchn.com/gochujang-the-miso-of-korean-cooking-ingredient-intelligence-165083 It’s also great added to marinades pre-BBQ. Last night I also added some wakame seaweed, lots of veg & shredded cabbage, some diced white pond scum (konnyaku for the uninitiated!) a little diced chicken for OH & some white pepper. Topped with shredded seaweed and crispy shallots. It was delicious. Sometimes I’ll add a sachet of dashi if I want more of a seafood flavour, but the seaweed did the trick last night. A dash of sesame oil can be nice too.

Have a great day everyone. CM xx

HEARTY ROOT AND BARLEY SOUP 259 cals
    (great to share with non-fasting family members)

Prep time: 15 mins
    Serves 6
    Cooking time: 50 mins
    Total time: 1 hr 5 mins

1.5 litres chicken stock
    4 chicken thighs on the bone, skinned, with fat removed
    1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
    2 small bay leaves and a few sprigs of thyme or rosemary
    1kg mixed winter veg – carrot, turnip, swede, parsnip and celeriac
    2 sticks celery
    150 gms pearl barley
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    freshly chopped parsley, to garnish

Bring stock to boil, add chicken thighs, onion and herbs. Cover and simmer over low heat 20 mins until meat is tender.

Peel and chop all the winter vegetables and trim and chop the celery. Take the chicken out of the pan with a draining spoon and set it aside.

Put all the vegetables in the pan. Bring to boil, stir in barley. Bring back to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 30 mins or until vegetables are tender.

Meanwhile, take the meat off the thigh bones, shred it and keep it warm. Season the soup and ladle it into bowls. Top with shreds of chicken and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with chunks of bread.

Coastcat, I hope you enjoy the above recipe. I think I got that one from the goodtoknow.co.uk website along with other great meals I use regularly. I’m sorry to clog up these pages with recipes but I’ve never been able to find the recipe threads on this website despite PVE’s instructions on how to do so.

H4, you’re some kind of machine, no FDs, birthday food and a huge weight loss t’boot.

Hi CM, yes, it may have been that I wasn’t busy enough on Sunday. More likely though, I think it was making lousy food choices the day before. I did that two weeks running and normally cruise through a FD. I wonder if this is why you feel lacklustre on some FDs, EA? The body is craving all that starch and sugar from the previous day? Don’t know, maybe it’s not even worth analysing and I should just get on with it!

CM – your question made me stop and think about the changes in my body: I have lost at least a cm in height, I am bustier now than before my babies, but I can now run wearing pantyhose without the fear of setting my thighs on fire! That was the first thing I noticed about the way I lost weight on this regime – firstly my thighs vanished, then my bum, then my tummy and finally my bust is diminishing. I have found that really interesting. I now look damn good in skinny jeans!

Thin – not really a machine – just a 200g loss since my last fast day, but they are all steps in the right direction.

Since going back onto this program I have dropped down to 76 kgs which I haven’t been since I had my first child. Other times I have lost the weight I have plateaued. It was always hard to try and keep it off. A mental hurdle was always 12 stone and hadn’t realised I had passed it until I converted the metric back to imperial. My whole mindset has changed as I don’t seem to have any doubts about keeping the weight off. (Famous last words.) Its probably just the season changing which means I can get outside to enjoy the sunlight.

We are enjoying our little grandson. The doctors have told him he can have swimming lessons as he enjoys his bath so much. There will be a big party for him next month. I can work the special days into this way of life.

How much have you lost GL5012? Great about your little grandson. Where do you live? (sorry if you’ve already told us, 5:2 doesn’t seem to have helped my memory yet). If you feel inclined, please complete your profile, then when you say you’re 76kgs, we can look & see how far you’ve come. Only if you want to, of course.

At one stage I was over 120+ kgs. Through varying diets and lifestyle changes I managed to get it down to 77kg once but it blew back out to 80 kgs. With our grandsons problems it blew back out to 89kg at the start of this year. I found this book at target at the start of the year, I have not seen the TV program. After one false start I started again this month. I have now dropped 5kgs. Other times it has taken months to do this. This will not be on the profile. I still have more than 20 kgs to go.

Thanks for sharing your journey GL502, we’re about the same age, there are a few of our vintage. You have really come a long way. I understand the yo yo’ing weight you’ve experienced. 5:2 will help you achieve a healthy weight and learn to eat well for life. Well done for making the change.

Good morning all,

I have been so busy ……

Last weekend was great a fun weekend for us. Chinese Restaurant on Saturday night and then on Sunday we did a Foodies Trek through the Atherton Tablelands with Japanese representatives from our sister city of Minami.

The bad news is that I put on 1.7kg Good news though is that I did not go back to the 80’s and I learnt some things about my body.

Our friends wanted a banquet which had a variety of foods, all with vegetables and I tried to serve myself more of the vegies than the meats. I had minimum of rice.
    Sunday’s bus tour included tastings of cheese, scones, chocolates, wines, macadamia nuts and coffee.

We had a good time but I paid for it after with the weight gain. I learnt that if I eat these things expect a weight gain. I also learnt that although you might gain weight on these indulgences you can also go back to fasting to get them off. It sort of balances things out. The only thing is that not a good idea to do those types of weekends too often or you dont get your weight down to what you want too quickly!!

Anyhow Monday morning weight was 78.6 so today after 2 FD weight is 78.0. I am going to really watch what I eat for this whole week and try to get back to the 76.9 mark again.

I have been reading all the posts and there have been so many, in fact too many to comment on, but others have commented before me so it is old news now.

I welcome the new fasters to the forum and hope you enjoy your journey with 5:2.

Congratulations to all the fasters who have lost weight this week, reached a PB or have found some centimetres have left them.

Another busy day for me today with OH being away for the week again.

I will look at the posts for the day later tonight. Have a great day everyone……JJxx

CM I’ve just looked at your dashi link. I’d thought miso was a stock made from kelp and dried fish. Your brand says ‘fermented soy bean’ on the pack. I checked the ingredients of mine, which comes in sachets, and it also contains soy bean paste. I have a large jar of soy bean paste in the fridge and can’t remember why I bought it – can this also be used as a basis for low cal broths on FDs? Hi JJulie, maybe you can answer this.

Friends of ours just returned from Bali and both got sick while there. They’d been told about travelling with stock cubes to add to boiling water and drink to settle your stomach. It worked for them but doesn’t appeal to me. It did give me the idea of travelling with miso sachets which are lightweight, could easily be taken through borders and would be great for FDs as you could just boil water in your room and add them.

Hi Everyone….happy, happy girl today. Just received all my annual medical results this morning. My lovely doctor said if all her patients had blood results like mine, she’d be out of business! Extremely low cholesterol (ratio 2.3) with really low bad & really high good chol. She also mentioned that our triglyceride levels were a good indictator for people to be more prone to strokes…high trig = higher stroke risk. I didn’t know that. Also had excellent sugar readings. So, as for the 5:2 connection…..my cholesterol has always been pretty low, but it has lowered over the past 12 months. Ditto sugar and BP (108/70). So if I was to comment, I would say that with the (almost) 10kg weight loss and healthier eating over the last 6 months, this has certainly contributed to better test results. In addition, my awful leg swelling (due to removal of lymph nodes) has subsided dramatically and my chronic achilles issues have disappeared completely. I couldn’t ask for more than that and another thing to be grateful for today. Thanks Dr M and all my 5:2 buddies too! CM xx

Thin, yes the Dashi Miso paste is normal miso paste with added dashi (bonito fish). I haven’t ever used the miso soup sachets that you use, only ever the white miso paste (caramel in colour) and the dashi powder. The combo paste that I use, just makes life easier…cos I’m lazy! The stuff you have in your fridge…is it a smooth dry-ish paste or more of a sloppy sauce with lumps? What colour is it…caramel, reddish brown or dark brown? I know the chinese & thai’s also use soy bean paste, but think its a bit different. You could always try it out and see how it tastes as a soup base. Sorry I can’t be a bit more help. Great idea about travelling with the sachets….will definitely use that idea. Bali coming up next month.

Hilary, yes, same here. Someone once said on here that its like the fat drains away from your legs first then moves up. That’s exactly how its been for me. Boobs unaffected so far though. OH very happy! And if you look great in skinny’s then I’m really jealous! But good for you! Go out and flaunt it girl!

JJ, what a wonderful time you had…lucky you. Yes, we do pay for our little pleasures, but now we know that it can also come off again pretty quickly. My pig out last Fri is almost gone, and if all it takes is 1 week of 5:2 to get back to “normal”, then isn’t that just so empowering?? Most important thing for me is to weigh myself every day, otherwise I fear it could all get away from me! But I’m NEVER going back.

Have a lovely hump day guys. CM xx

Hi All and welcome Cate! Remember you can ask any question on here, especially as you settle into 5:2. The first couple of Fast Days, FDs, is the bit where you’re just beginning. FDs very quickly become easier and easier. Hang in here and keep reading. Where are you in the Southern Hemisphere Cate? Have you read the 5:2 book or seen Dr Mosely’s documentary?

Cheers,
    Merry

Fabulous news CM. You must be positively glowing in the knowledge that you are healthy inside and out. Well done! I also managed to keep my boobs (well not really, they went down 2 bra sizes but they’re still proportionately on the larger size I would say) but I am sad to have no butt whatsoever. Everything is lower than it was the last time I was this weight. It’s my skinny thighs that everyone kept commenting on while I was losing, I really wish I’d measured those thunder thighs.

Thanks for the info on the soybean paste, I’ll see if I can find the brand on your Asian grocer website. Doesn’t have any English writing, hence I can’t remember what it is. Teen might be able to decypher it as she reads Japanese. It’s the colour and texture (but happily not the smell) of baby poo but that’s not going to be of much help is it? Just thought I’d throw that in – in keeping with your pond scum analogy.

Dead easy FD today. Have eaten 125 cals so far and it’s going to be a breeze to make it to dinner, less than an hour. Have almost shed that tortilla from the other night. Anyone else fasting today? What’s for dinner?

G’evening fellow fasters
    I’m so far having a most determined week…. and have to say it’s a real struggle not to stand on the scales. I think I like the idea of weighing every day (was it you Thin, that mentioned) and just recording officially on weigh in day – but in saying that, I get so despondent when I see gains, and this way, being a mystery, I assume it’s all going in the right direction and just keep trying. I did a Mon FD, and Tues liquid only day, Wed I eat normal, then i’ll throw myself into a liquid only Thurs (if all goes to plan) with Fri weigh in…. hoping to reach the magic 10kg marker.

Well done CM on those great result, so good to know that as well as the healthy weight, the internals are all ticking along so nicely.

Coast – if you manage to do any FDs while staying with someone, you must be really determined!! I’ve only ever done them while at work, away from temptations, so don’t know how I’m going to get on out of that environment for my coming 2 week hols.

And welcome Cate – hope you settle into 5:2íng without too much stress.

Every week I’m getting quicker up hill for my Wed workout, but when I get back from hols, the guy I’ve been doing it with for the last 7 or so yrs is retiring, and the rest of my group is falling away too, so am hoping to convince OH to bring his bike down and keep making it a regular thing.

‘night all 🙂

Thanks Thin, I’m thrilled. Just having a salad tonight, feeling tired and can’t be bothered doing anything else. The Hairy One woke me up early this morning and wanted to go outside, so think it’ll be an early one for me (& him!) tonight. THAT colour sounds about right…but glad the “aroma” is nothing like it!

I’m really happy with the results, thanks Nik. Hope you reach the magic 10kg! Fingers crossed for you. You just keep doing whatever works for you. We’re all different and we should handle this WOL in whatever way we find it easiest. We can tweak things down the track if and/or when we feel the need. Good luck for Fri and keep up those hill workouts, must be incredibly good for you. CM xx

EDIT – Thin – The paste is “Miko Brand – Since 1662”. I was at my asian shop this aftn and there are several other brands as well, if they don’t have the same one. I imagine there all pretty similar.

good evening all.
    Thin I think CM has answered this perfectly. If you have a problem with deciphering the wording on the jar of miso. send me a photo and I will translate for you. Although it is fermented there is usually still a use by date. White miso should be more like a pale caramel colour but if it is too dark it is too old. I found some miso in woolworths once that was too dark and had a look at it only to find it was past the use by date.

The dashi is made from Konbu (kelp) and bonita flakes. I had a cooking lesson in Kyoto a few years ago and was taught how to make this.
    Miso is soy bean base paste that you add to water.
    You can put them together for a blended flavour.

I make the hondashi or dashi base for udon noodles for my daughter, but use the miso base when I make Nabe, only because that it the one we like best.

I also drink the miso sachets that I buy from Coles that are only 20 calories or less depending on whether there is tofu in it or mushrooms. The Pandaroo brand sachets are double the calories.

Thanks for the lessons on miso and dashi girls. I think I’ll pitch mine as it’s darkish and it’s past its use by date. Teen said it isn’t written in either of the two Jap writing systems she can recognise. My miso sachets are about 23 cals each so I’ll stick to what I know.

Delicious soup tonight – a leek & butternut squash combo with crostini and a shaving of parmesan. 7pm and I’m up to 300 cals so pretty content with that. CM, I passed the kefir on to the second recipient yesterday.

Hope you get to the 10kg mark Nik. You’re very strong not to check the scales (yes it is me who obsessively weighs & records everything).

Where ya’ been today EA?

Thin – your teen can probably read Hiragana and Katakana. Kanji would be what is on the packet or a mixture of Hiragana and Kanji, and sometimes it is written in a fancy font that makes it difficult to read.

Katakana is used for foreign words. For example, coffee is not originally a Japanese product and was introduced to the country. The Japanese word for coffee is Kō ​hī and pronounced ko hee. The Katakana for it is コー​​​​ヒー
    The word sushi is Japanese and often written in Hiragana which looks like this す し …… (Hiragana is written with curves while Katakana seems to have more sharper strokes)

Anyhow, so much for the lesson.

Forgot to tell you that there are two types of miso…….white and red. The red miso is fermented longer so the colour is much darker and the flavour is much stronger. I am not a lover of the red miso like I am the white miso.

White miso is also called shiro miso (shiro is white) red miso is called aka miso (aka is red) There seems to be more calories in the red than in the white by about 50%.

So today I bought pumpkin as I thought a different type of soup would be nice since I have been eating the cauliflower soup so much. I just also happen to have bought some leeks as they were on special at woolworths. Your soup sounds nice, Thin, so I am thinking of adding leeks to the pumpkin when I make it. I like the idea of the parmesan as well but can I ask what is Crostini? I googled it and got crostino instead which said it was a type of small toast. Is that right?

Morning all – I’m checking in for a first class arse kicking from you all please!

Had my weekly weigh in on Monday, no loss but no gain, and considering I’d had a lovely foodie weekend including a seriously good Indian restaurant on Friday, roast chook with all the trimmings on Saturday and home made sausage rolls on Sunday… washed down with some nice wine… I was pretty ok with that. Monday fast day was fine and then yesterday a bloomin disaster!

Full day of meetings, catered lunch (nibbled on some salad, not to bad) then someone bought in my normal coffee order (double shot latte) instead of black, drank it to be polite, more meetings and then the carnage began! After meeting drinks and the next thing I know there’s a chardy in one hand and a pile of potato chips in the other, then off to the pub for more drinks, wedges, pizza…… blahhhhh!

This morning I’m feeling fat, farty, sluggish and staaarving (something I’m usually not on any morning!) I’d like to say I’ll make today a FD however I’ve got visions of cheese toasties floating around in my head so figure I’m defeated before I begin.

It really is interesting how only a month ago I’d feel fine after an evening of that, now my body has just put it’s hand up and said BAD FOOD CHOICES!!!

Anyhow, time to bury myself in work for the day and have another glass of water.

Happy FD to all you strong wonderful folks out there and CM – fantastic blood results!! Healthy inside and out is just grand.

Morning JJulie. That’s exactly right, I couldn’t spell the Japanese names but I thought it was funny that when she sounds out the characters of one of them, she makes an English word.

Pumpkin is a fantastic vegetable and I use it in lots of FD recipes. I’m sorry I can’t post that recipe as I don’t have an electronic copy. Basically, gently saute a large leek and a stick of celery in 1tbs oil and then add 350gms of chopped pumpkin, saute 5 more minutes. Add a chili and clove of garlic, one litre of veg stock and simmer gently for 35mins. Season. Stick blend it. At this point it resembles EA’s description of muddy water. Meanwhile, and I can’t believe you get this little luxury all for 185 cals, you place four thinly sliced day old baguette slices in a 200C oven for 10 mins. Remove and rub both sides with a garlic clove and tiny drizzle of olive oil. Back into oven until golden brown 10 mins. Re-heat soup. Warm the bowls. Place one crostini in the middle, cover it with a shaving of parmesan (25gm for all 4). Best soup my OH has ever tasted he says. Serves 4. There, I did post it after all. Enjoy!

CK, well done for making the confession. Cleansing in itself. Ok so you went off the rails, you feel bad. You’ve hopefully learned from it. Forget the toastie and put in a FD asap and know that it won’t be easy because of what you’ve been eating in the past few days. You can do it. We’re here cheering you on.

HI SH,

checking in: let go of 200gm
    Have maintained the same centimetre loss as before for my body reduction.

I have done my dash LOL!! and have now slowed to a downward slither 🙂 but it’s all ok. At this stage I am sticking to my plan of including a small serve of carbohydrate each NFD. It is definitely slowing my downward progress but I am very happy as long as it is going down.

signing out till next weigh-in,
    Coast

Catching up with all your posts:

Hi Hilary, great about the PB; shame about the flu and still not 100%. So close 🙂 well done.

Thanks CM, that sounds delicious. I will definitely give it a go but have to buy the ingredients. I don’t cook Japanese except for making sushi and sometimes a basic miso soup. The meal sounded good – but as you say it’s those carbs that don’t help weight loss!!!

Thin that soup also sounds fantastic. Will give it a go while the weather is still coolish. Thanks.

Interesting points about how you feel on FDs after heavy NFDs, Thin and CM.

Hilary, I love that you now feel ‘damn good in skinny jeans’ LOL!! that is certainly something to aspire to 🙂

Well done GL, that too is also inspiring. Will you be in the normal range for your height with you reach your goal of 60kg? so glad you are enjoying time with your grandson 🙂

Thin, I was hoping for improved memory!!!! what a shame 🙁 I suffer from that as well .. LOL!!

Hi Julie, you have been busy – in a good way. As you say, it is all about management now. What a great tool to have and to be learning how to use it to the most benefit.

I love all the info about miso and dash etc – it’s great to be learning about new ways to use food. I like miso and will be trying to use it a lot more now.

Good news for you all round CM. Happy for you.

NikT, the FDs have been a challenge as I am cooking for my nephews and nieces. But they are great and eat whatever I put in front of them … LOL!! so far so good. That’s a shame about your dwindling workout group. Fingers crossed you can keep it going.

Who mentioned that great stir-fired mix veges that included mushrooms? Where is that available from as I’d love to try them?

Welcome to the newbies. Hope that you enjoy the journey and keep involved with the forum. Everyone has been so helpful and I love the inspiring stories. I even appreciate the downs because it helps to prepare for when things aren’t just rosy and positive.

Hi CKiwi, sounds like a great foodie experience :)) did you enjoy yourself?? it’s great if you did ……. but I think you know exactly what you have to do!!1 LOL!! you can do it. Wise words from Thin.

signing off till next weigh-in,

Coast

Good morning, no……it’s lunchtime here now so I suppose it should be good afternoon.

Thanks Thin for your recipe for pumpkin soup. It does sound really nice. I got up early this morning and cut up the pumpkin and weighted it. Then half a leek sliced really thinly. Put it all in a pot with chicken stock and started cooking. By the time I had to take daughter to school it was cooked and ready for blending with the stick mixer. Finished before school drop off!!! I did not add any more to it and it looks really nice. I will have some for lunch in awhile.

CK, dont beat your head up about your bad food choices. I had one of those weekends as you probably read and I think we all will have those times. I find it reminds me why I should not eat those foods as your body does tell you about it the next day. I therefore put it down as a lesson or constant reminder why I am doing this in the first place. Pick yourself up and get back on the horse!! You will be fine! Glad you let it out and told us about it too as then we can encourage you so you keep on track and not feel so bad about it. And yes dont you feel like you could eat so much more of that type of food the next day or two? I know I did and had to be strong to stop me from eating more comfort foods. Have a good rest of week. And yes we are all cheering you on as Thin said!!

Coast congratulations on loosing 200g. Yes if you want the carbohydrate on NFD have it. Sounds as if you are doing all the right things as you are still loosing. This forum told me a few weeks ago (sorry not sure who said it now) that this is not about giving up the things you like but my having them in moderation. I think it is all about balance.

Anyhow this morning weight was 77.7 so I am getting back down there. Eating strawberries at night as a filler and had fresh cut pineapple for breakfast this morning. OH is on his way home from Townsville and just rang me. I asked him to buy me a couple of pineapples if he sees them on the road side stalls. They are so much sweeter than supermarket ones.
    Thinking of having chicken curry for dinner. I have one chicken breast skinless in the fridge and bought a curry sauce that says it is 105 calories per serving. So I figure the chicken and curry will be no more than 300 calories if I only have half of the breast and add sliced zucchini, onion and red capsicum. Then I have broccoli and konyaku noodles to go with it.

catch up with everyone again later……..JJ xxxx

Good morning all 5:2’s new and old. Well back to empty nest, my daughter and family left yesterday back to the UK. Feeling very lost without my early morning pitter patters. Will be keeping busy cleaning the house before Dad comes back on Saturday.

Have enjoyed all the posts and confessions. After 4 weeks I was doing well and keeping up the FDs but then son in law arrived and it all went out the window. Still I’m pretty happy, weight this morning was 77.7. FD today and back on track.

Me again, didn’t want to do a big post and then lose it, which is what did happen and had to log in again.

Goal now is back to original of 75kg then reset ready for my trip to the UK in December.

Looking forward to the FDs as with other posts, all this eating has made me feel dumpy even though it’s probably all fluid (wine).

Have a good day everyone.

One happy camper here! Managed to pass the 10kg “gone” mark this morning – clocked in at 80.4kg, but as I had liquids only on Thurs, will happily expect it to balance back up a bit, but will keep up the momentum and gets my FDs in before I head away on Wednesday.

The holiday is such a daunting thing as I love the food in Oz, and somehow that afternoon ice-cream can’t be lived without, and it seems such a shame to do my usual and put on multiple kgs on holiday, so hopefully with a plan to exercise regularly and doing 16/8 eating every day, it will help to mitigate the usual damage.

Two posts above with 77.7 as a theme – well done – isn’t it so nice Intesha, to get know you can get back on the FD ride after relaxing a bit….. at least I’m hoping I can do the same.

CruisingKiwi – are you back in the zone now? Hopefully alls well in your camp!

I need to get to the mid 50’s. I am 155 cm. Since the start of the month I have dropped 5.5 kgs with two days to go to the end of the month. After my marriage I got up to about 12 1/2 stone due to a changed lifestyle. Farmers like their food. It then gradually got worse over the years.

Anything stressful will have me turn to food. Over the last 10 years I have got a lot off but it was creeping back on again. Usually when I feel helpless or unable to do anything. Since the start of the year have come down from 89kg with this program. Fell of the diet during May the anniversaries of the deaths of close family members and hospital visits.

This is the lowest I have been for decades. I feel as though I can keep it off other times I have a mental hurdle at 10 kgs where things stop. I am also keeping away from negative family members.

Well done JJulie. How was the soup?

Welcome back Intesha. It sounds like you did very well overall while your family was here and have fully embraced 5:2 as a lifestyle. Great job! What did you do with your Dad, I hadn’t realised he wasn’t with you all this time. Did your Mum recognise the family and get to spend some time with them? I’m sure you’ll feel a bit empty for a while but keep the goal in sight and remember how far you’ve come so you don’t get lured back into emotional eating. A trip to the UK in December is another good reason to stay on track. Look forward to hearing how you progress.

Same for you GL502. You’re doing well. Emotional eating is so destructive, isn’t it? I think we’ve all been there to some extent, at least the females among us. It’s said that we overeat to exercise some control over our lives. I’ve never figured that one out – it seems to me that when we do that, the reverse is true and we have lost control and food is controlling us. 5:2 has certainly put me in control of food for the first time in my life.

Woohoo Nik, you reached your first goal! Great news. Enjoy your trip over to the west island. I completely understand how you feel about the holiday being daunting. Forget the afternoon ice creams – you live in NZ, surely the home of the best ice cream in the world? I’m sure you’ll find a good balance between eating the things you love (intrigued to learn which OZ foods they are) and not undoing all your good work. If it doesn’t quite go to plan, you’ll know what to do when you get home.

Good morning all…..

Well today I am back up to 78kg. OH came home with pineapple, bananas (for him) and onions from one of the road stalls. BUT also a bottle of wine. Now my weight is up a bit this morning. Wish I could say no to that wine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chicken curry worked out fine with heaps of vegies and only the one chicken breast which kept the calories down a little. I had the splendier rice with it instead of the real rice and it went well together. I think it helped that it looked like rice even though the taste was different. OH tried it too and decided he would have that so I did not have to cook real rice for him. I really had a craving for curry yesterday so I am glad that I have found a way to have what I like but also keep the calorie count down.

Intesha, sounds like you had a great time with family visiting and congratulations to you for still keeping up with the FD’s. My current goal is 75 too so we can do it together!! I am also going away in December and wanted to have reached 70kg by then. Now that I have said that I realise that it is only 8kg away and I have already lost about 7kg which makes it more achieveable. Think I will have another FD again today to get me started!!!!

NikT, 10kg gone!!!!! congratulations and so happy for you. I love hearing about everyone reaching goals as it helps to keep me going even when I falter and get back up on that horse. You say your heading off on Wednesday for Oz?? Where are you headed to? Hope you have a great time. Your plan while on holiday sounds interesting as you say you are going to do 16/8 eating each day. Can you explain what this is? Sorry but I have an idea but want to get it right as if it works then it could be something for me to do while on holiday in December.

GL you sound like you have had a rough time of it. Stress usually causes me to stop eating. My first marriage was to a violent man who had me stressed constantly. When we broke up I was about 48kg. Even though the constant stress of him was gone I seemed to keep that stress going inside me so that when I met my current husband a few years later I was only 50kg at the time. Contentment in a relationship then put weight on and I was about 57kg when we married two years after we met. After children and continued contentment as well a living the good life of food and wine I finally got to about 85 and then my doctor told me to get it off!!!! Now here I am! My doctor told me to do this diet, and he said it works!! It does. You say you have a mental hurdle at 10kgs and you are keeping away from negative relatives. I think talking on this forum will help you with that mental hurdle as we will encourage you along the way. Also dont forget to ask for help if you need it. All questions seem to be answered by those who know and have been on this for a long time. I have been given so much help. Negative people will not help you mentally either so the people on this forum are the positive ones so use this as your support. I hope you have a great day today.

Thin, your post must have landed here while I was typing mine……

The pumpkin soup was really nice. As I said it was only pumpkin, leek and chicken stock. I kept it simple and it was still very tasty. Had two bowls during the day, then my chicken curry at night. My downfall was the wine though!!!!

Not to worry I decided that I will have another FD today as Intesha has inspired me to get to that 75kg mark and I would love to see it in the next week or so!!! My birthday is next week I wonder if I could do it???????

NikT, yes it is a good feeling to know that I am now in control and can enjoy life without the guilt.

Thin I am very lucky to have a good relationship with my ex and Dad stayed with him for the five weeks. Mum had periods of knowing who was who but then would forget who belonged to who and didn’t realise my daughter had another child.

Still early days but I think I have a handle on the emotional eating. There was left over pizza, it was on my plate, had two mouthfuls and ended up throwing it in the bin. Unheard of in a previous life. Did finish off the cake my daughter made for Mum birthday, but it was only a small slice.

JJ, I think we will have to cheer each other on. I would love to be 70kg in December but the thought actually makes me nervous. First 75 and then!!!!!!!

We all seem to have been on emotional journeys and I say well done to all of you for making the effort and taking charge of your lives. Congratulations.

Hey JJ – I’ve read about the 16/8, meaning you do all your eating during the day in an 8hr window say 11am-7pm, and from what I’ve heard people use that as another “fasting” method, ie a 16hr fast every day, so in reality, we’ll skip breakfast every day, and will be a good excuse to eat early in the evening:) We’re heading to the Sunshine coast, so hoping for a break from the southland single digit temps 🙂

It is great having the OH motivated to maintain his new found weight, and so I won’t have to sit and watch him eat breakfast, and feel like I’m missing out.

2 well done on the losses folks! 300 down for me but I still have my period and that makes a difference. It was me who mentioned frozen veggie mixes. The one I use is watties vitality mix. One of the other watties stir fry mix also has mushrooms.

Weight this morning after FD yesterday 76.8. Pretty happy with that.

Will do another FD tomorrow.

Reading back on posts re where weight has been lost from and I have to say mine is a similar story. Legs and thighs are looking great but still have loads to lose around stomach and can’t wait to get rid of the muffin top.

I have managed to loose 5.5 kgs for the month. I have noticed a change in my mind as it is just accepting the losses because it is not a diet. It is not showing up much in the measurements as it is stored around the waist. The clothes however are falling off. I will wait a month to see if the weight stays off and then I go through my clothes and through out the fat clothes. This way I can’t go back. I don’t like shopping.

I have had some really tough times but things are now starting to come back together. It is hard as you feel so helpless.

Viewing 50 posts - 6,401 through 6,450 (of 28,011 total)

You must be logged in to reply.