Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,917 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  thinatlast 1 day ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 6,351 through 6,400 (of 28,021 total)

• Oops – forgot to say Thin. So pleased the teenager is happy for mum and dad to upgrade. You’ve raised a good one there. xxxx

Another happy session of reading posts.. this is such a great way to stay motivated.

An easy successful day fasting for me. tight feeling under my chin, hurts to swallow, so will be gutted if it’s a cold or ? as I have the flu injection and take buccaline… so don’t plan on any nasties!!

Will be happy to maintain weight this week at tomorrow’s weigh-in – after my hiccup at the start… off to bed early as I’ve a good book to read.

Isn’t it really hard to eat healthy Chinese as a lot of it’s deep fried…even the ice-cream! – good luck with that 🙂

Congrats on successfully completing another fast day Nik and have a restful sleep tonight. Being ‘on the other side’, I am still hanging out for dinner at this moment. Today felt a bit like when I first started 5:2 – freezing cold with a headache (which has now gone thank goodness). I couldn’t muster up the enthusiasm for ironing and kitchen cleaning and instead lit the fire and snuggled under a blanket watching programmes on people who have gastric bypasses. Thank goodness we on here are all blessed with the ability to do 5:2 without going to such extreme measures. Unfortunately some people have just gone to far and need surgical (and psychological) help.

Roll on dinner. I am hanging out for my meat and veg soup.
    I hope all other Thursday Fasters are having a great one.

Chinese food -on a FD . if it was me it would be low cal, low GI. So… prawns, squid/ calamari, white fish are all low cal quality protein, but not fried in batter. Raw prawns are 84 cals/100 gms, raw calamari 97cals/100 gms. Lean chicken would also be ok, but not with almonds or cashews added. Chinese veggies are pretty low cal. An omelette would also work. Tofu is also OK, just not the fried tofu dishes. So choose something like prawns and chinese veggies. Stear clear of battered things, things with hoisin or plum sauce or sauces that have higher cals (Look up black bean, mongolian sauces on Calorie king website). Also avoid fried rice , singapore noodles, crispy noodles, wontons, prawn crackers, fortune cookies. If you had say, prawn omolette, it would be bulked out with onion, which is low cal. You could ask for a plate of steamed vegies to add to that. Sweets, give the sweets a miss, drink green tea and sparkling water as no cals in them.

Hope that helps,
    Merry

Good job EA, you’ve just about nailed another FD. I’ve seen those documentaries about the UK hospitals where they’re having to design whole wards around the obesity epidemic and the stories about those people needing resections of the stomach (an alternative to the gastric bands). It is incredible that people can get to that stage before seeking help. It would be interesting to see a follow up in, say, ten years. I know with the gastric band, it’s possible to ‘cheat’ and patients can melt Mars bars and still get them down. Cripes.

And well done to you Nik. You’re on top of things again. Hope you remain well.

CM and I had another marathon coffee session this morning basking in our new PBs. Well basking probably isn’t the right word, it was chucking it down outside – what a downpour! Today it was travel destinations dominating the conversation rather than food for a change. EA, you’re going to have to come out from under that doona and join us very soon!

Thin, thanks for the celebration suggestion and congrats on the PB

NicT, oh, no, that’s not good and you have had the injections as well.. I hope that it is not anything to worry about. My throat is hurting as well. Made some of the Turmic Milk recommended by CM yesterday morning. It was very nice and my throat felt good all day though I felt it lurking last night :)) I hope you get a little downward action when you weigh in!!

EA, sounds like a tough day but you made the right choices to look after yourself 🙂 it also sounds a bit chilly your way……
    about being stuck on the 66’s – have you shared your daily menus with your highly experienced support team 🙂 Perhaps getting new eyes to have a look, they can suggest what is making you be stuck. Sometimes a new perspective can do the trick.

Merry, very sensible take on what to eat when doing Chinese. Good advice. Julie you could build a beaut dinner menu with those suggestions.,

Coast

Hi SH

I have been giving your advices a lot of thought trying to figure out what my best course of action is in relation to food selection on NFDs.

My problem to date has been maintaining weight loss.
    You all know the story – as soon as I went back to normal eating all the weight I had let go just bounced back plus more.

Normal eating for me was perhaps a couple of slices of bread a day for breakfast toast or a sandwich, During warmer weather (7-8mths where I live) lots of protein and salads – fresh green salads – not pasta etc).
    Usually in winter different carbs for sides in the evening i.e. pasta, bugler, rice or potato with stewy, juicy protein, fruits, cheese, nuts, savoury things etc.
    We eat a variety of traditional soups some of which are made with smoked meats and thickened with roux in winter. Lots of chicken, beef or vege soups in summer normally served with angel hair pasta. Lots of legumes.

I rarely do cakes, sweets, chocolate, sugar. Never have soft drinks, juices etc. . But do have wine 🙂 – I’ll do a few weeks on, then a few weeks off or 5:2 or 3:4 weekly, however I feel like or suits.

The reason I am trying this food programme because it says you can eat normally on NFDs.

My dilemma is that if I totally forgo all carbs till I loose the weight I need to, when I get to maintenance and try to eat a bit normally, the body will go WHAT IS THAT!! to the carbs, and start putting weight on again.

I do not want to repeat the same old cycle I have faced before.
    I am thinking, that if I limit my carbs to one portion a day while in weight loss, the body will still recognise what it is and I’d still be losing but perhaps a slower rate. I want to get to maintenance and just eat well from all food groups (carbs limited still) and just do FDs.

What do you all think of this logic?

Coast

Merry – thanks so much for the info on the chinese food. These days I do not eat deep fried foods at all and havent for a long time. The greasy foods upset my tummy so keep clear of them. I thought of something like prawns with vegies or chicken with vegies so it seems I was on the right track. We will probably order a dish of steamed kangkong and garlic as it is a favourite of all of us. Saturday was not a FD for me I was just going to fast all day before the dinner, but have decided to have a third FD this week and will fast today as well.

Yesterday we had the graduation ceremony for our Japanese homestay. We were invited to attend with a BBQ lunch. I kept away from the fried onions and bread rolls opting only for a sausage and lettuce and tomato. It was filling enough. Then for dinner last night I did kangaroo slices with salad, again only lettuce tomato and cucumber as the salad. Dessert for everyone was sticky date pudding with custard and icecream, but I had a kiwi fruit and sliced strawberrys. This morning I was up 300g. I think it was the sausage!!

Thin – congratulations on the PB. You are fantastic!! You have helped me heaps with all your advice so I am so happy for you. I wish there was some way where we could all get together for a coffee and celebrate our losses.

Anyhow, I was thinking of a post just recently where it was discussed that we should have a “like” button and then thought about starting a facebook site for us. I thought we could keep it to a closed group. We could share recipes, add photos, like comments and maybe get to know each other a little better. Any thoughts on this?????

Julie- re Chinese, portion size also important, smaller portion of the protein bit, about 100 gms is healthy, bigger portion of steamed veg, ditch baby corn if there’s any. Bamboo shoots and lotus root are low cal too.

Re BBQ- if you’re one of the can’t-eat-starches/grains-and-lose-weight crowd, then it’s probably the sausage, which will have some grain component bulking it out, which would retain some of the fat as well upping the calories. For BBQ with a bigger group people often use cheaper bulk thin sausages, so maybe even a higher % of grain in there. Strawberries and rockmelon are my go to low cal low GI fruits, and kiwi fruit is a bit higher. Drinking cals also are a minefield on FD’s.

Well done anyway Julie. Overall you took a sensible approach to the day, and you have a back up plan.
    Merry

Check-in…..post FD, 70.0 kgs. Down only 100 gms since previous FD Monday. That last 100 gms is playing coy! Next short goal is 69.9 kg. Other Half (OH) is now getting more serious about 5:2 after dabbling along to keep me company. He knows I’m deadly serious and once I get down it’s not going back on.

Coast – would love to comment on food, but will let others at this point, and get back to you.

Merry

Merry, hang in there, almost in the 60s. You answered JJulie’s Chinese meal and Japanese BBQ port mortem perfectly. JJulie, thank you for your kind words. You’re a great asset to this forum yourself. I was also thinking about a way to make our contact more personal and, having seen that this website has become so popular around the world, I wish the site administrators would add some features to allow people to ‘pm’ each other and post before and after photos (I know we can add photos here but they’re gone as soon as the page fills up). I’m afraid I’m not a fan of facebook for several reasons but concede that it’s probably the most obvious possibility.

Coastcat, thanks. Re: your latest post on your carb dilemma, I tend to stick by what I already said. I feel that getting your weight into a healthy range is your priority in order to reduce your immediate risk of diabetes, heart disease and cancers. We’re all different, we’ve all taken different approaches to this and so we all give different advice and you’ll discover what is right for you. Just be aware that ‘maintenance’ isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. It’s not as though you can reach goal weight and then start eating carbs again. You’ll be embracing 5:2 in some form or other for life. I believe that by the time you’ve reached your goal weight, you’ll be in a completely different mindset about carbs, portion sizes and what eating normally means for you. Concentrate on the journey rather than the destination.

Got through the my sons visit with a 300g increase, this would be roast meat, veggies and gravy plus we ate much later than I usually do. We only got 20 plants in. My son had run himself into the ground and just crashed when he got home. Instead I did 9 hours over two days whipper snipping, I am paying for it today. My son used the ride on mower while I did that. His job is quite physical he averages about 20,000 steps a day and in hilly terrain. The rest of the time we did a general clean up. While not what I wanted done other jobs were completed. We had three really good weather for a change so was good to get outside. Back to winter today.

Great advise as always Thin. I second everything you have said for Coast. I’m glad you had a lovely catch up with CM yesterday.

Thanks Coast – and good idea. My typical fast day is no calories (except 6 from a squeezed lemon) until dinner time. I will measure out all food according to the back of the 5:2 book and it will consist of protein on the side (eg meat, egg) and veggies pulverized into bog water to make my soup (looks yukky but tastes nice). Then I will have a cup of tea with milk in and that is it. I tend to keep it simple as I’m also cooking for the tribe.

Merry – I understand. It is so frustrating when our bodies tease us but you have still lost so it is all good. You will see those 60’s very soon.

Am in between health appointments, so just a quick note seeing the page was open before I am off to next one.

Those figures are in the right direction, Merry :)) all good!!! you are getting there bit by bit.

Thanks for your perspective Thin, there is a lot of sense in what you say. But my dread is what happens ‘after’ I get there. Yes, I know I need to let go of that, and just do what will succeed for the moment. More thinking coming up.

Sounds like a lot of work you did in the past few days GL. Those downward trends will start again once you are back to your normal routine.

Julie, I like the ‘like’ button suggestion too. Have you suggested it to the moderators (I hope that’s what they are call )

signing off,

Coast

I have a confession to make. Yesterday, on my fast day, I measured out my veggies for the soup and my protein and even meticulously measured out 7grams exactly for my butter to fry the egg and bacon. I also was cooking lamb chops for the family and discovered that lamb wasn’t mentioned in the measurements at the back of the 5:2 book so I used the beef option instead (!) So I thoroughly enjoyed a lamb chop with my dinner and had heaps of calories left over by my calculations. It wasn’t until I finished that I realised how fatty lamb is, the size of my chop and the fact that I had smothered olive oil over them before cooking it! Oh dear.

Anyway I weighed myself this morning and yes, you have guessed it, 66.05. Not an ounce budged. Will I ever get off this number I wailed in my head.

So, I did all the usual morning rush, got back home, went back on the scales and they showed 65.45. What? I got off. Went back on 65.45. I got off. Went back on 65.45. I got dressed thought, thank you very much, I will go with that.

Maybe this high fat, low carb combined with the 5:2 is working after all. Or maybe I just have dodgy scales. Time will tell, I guess.

EA – sometimes things on the scales are unusual for me too. So I have a couple of weighs some mornings. If my first weigh says I have lost weight then I thank them and get on with the day, but if they are saying that I have not budged especially after a FD I do a little scales jig and get on and off a few times. Also I have found after a shower has given me better results (I dont know why as usually my hair is still wet and I would think that would weigh me heavier) So when finally I get a loss, I am happy.
    Sometimes I dont get that loss at all and I can usually relay it to something I have eaten the day before or two days before. It is so much fun playing with our scales, isn’t it???
    Merry – yesterday’s BBQ did not give much options as far are meat. It was sausage or hamburger patty which looked like the homebrand frozen variety which I knew would be bulked up with breadcrumbs, so took the sausage option and hoped it would not be as bad. I try to keep away from such events but our homestay girl really appreciated us being there for her graduation.
    Thin – I did not realise that we could put photos on the forum, but for security reasons and the fact that anyone can go into this forum I understand why they disappear when we go to a new page. I will have a look at the facebook idea still but I understand that you may not like it. For a long time I did not do facebook at all. My eldest daughter did then my youngest wanted it too. I set up a facebook site for myself so I could moniter what my youngest daughter was doing and saying. Then found it was very handy to keep in contact with overseas friends and also posting photos of our trips. I started the Julie’s Japan site to keep the Japan trips separate and also as a security thing so people would not know if the house was empty as we were on holidays.

EA – I had a lamb chop a few nights ago when we had a mixed grill with our Japanese homestay. I cut off all the fat on the little loin chop and only ate the middle meat part and was totally shocked at how many calories this small amount was going to cost me. I had allowed quite a few calories for dinner thank goodness so I was a little surprised to see me loose 200g still the next morning. I love lamb but think I shall stay away from it until I have lost a bit more weight. We all are still learning about the foods we have been eating so put it down as one of the many lessons. Anyhow I read that you still lost something the next morning so not all doom and gloom. Congratulations!!!

Thanks JJ – yes I felt naughty yesterday but was totally shocked this morning. I’m just so happy to finally be in the 65’s. That is around 7 kilos lost since I started in May (including my break).

Morning all you Wicked Smartie Pants out there!

Coast – What a great loss….well done you. Glad the turmeric milk helped….sometimes it a question of stopping the inflammation, which then stops the bug in its tracks.
    Good question about carbs & goal weight. Shall answer separately.

JJ – Re Chinese meals. Lots of great answers & here’s my bit too. Well, you know to steer clear of the rice, etc. Lots of Chinese tea..…love it & good for you. Steamed things would reduce the oils. Dumplings not too bad, athough they have a small carb component. Stir-fried veg dishes – I adore kangkong (water spinach), garlic & chilli. Most things will be drowned in sauces, so just eat the sauce that coats it and leave the rest on the plate. That way you’ll reduce the amount of oil, cornflour, etc…..& at least they don’t use cream! But JJ, just enjoy yourself (mindfully) that’s what this WOE (WOeating) is all about. Don’t stress about doing the right thing, cos you already are! Dropping in a 3rd FD was my secret weapon, if I was going out or the weight wasn’t coming off. Most of all, have fun.

Merry….it is teasing you!!! 69’s are just a sniff (or shower) away. You’ll do it, I know you will.

Another PB for you, Thin! Wow….almost in the 60.0s now! Always giving such good advice too. Great to catch up yesterday. Missed you EA & Freya.

Nik, hope you’re feeling better this morning.

EA – if you were cold yesterday, how are you faring today! Just had a whopper of a thunderstorm with hail pass over us!

So, for weigh-in Friday. I’ve hit a new number…yay! Now 61.6, that’s 9.4kg gone in 6 months….almost there. This really works, so keep going guys. TGIF everyone! All the best. CM xx

Yay CM – congratulations. It is exciting to see those numbers go down isn’t it.

Golly gosh, I’m still really cold today and have run out of wood for the fire. :o(

No thunder storms but raining heavily.

I think I may go and hug a hot water bottle.

Stay warm and dry CM
    xxxx

Yes, thoroughly enjoyed coffee with Thin yesterday, but oh the rain. Was like being at back home in Qld! I think we’re both so chuffed to finally be at/near goal and approaching the “maintenance” phase, although I’m not dreading it as much as Thin seems to be.

Coast you asked about maintenance & carbs. Thin asked me yesterday how I plan to handle maintenance & if I will keep fasting? Well, I’ll continue my 2 FDs to ensure I still receive those health benefits that now seem proven. I think there will be a bit of experimentation along the way & also to extend my fasting window. I don’t plan to be as strict on my NFDs. I have been off carbs (after bfst) since just after I started in mid-Feb. I still love bread, not the fluffy plastic supermarket stuff, but the crusty handmade artisan sourdoughs….this is the one carb that I have really missed. It will still be considered a treat, but I will re-introduce it to my diet. Everyone is different, but for me that is the point of this journey. Achieve the goal and slowly (mindfully) reintroduce the things that we miss most. Not every day or every week, and if I creep out of my 2kg wriggle room, I know how to fix it. This WOE makes us more aware of our bodies, and how they react to certain foods, and I am determined to remain that way for life. Hope this helps. CM xx

CM – Thanks too for your advice expecially on the chinese foods. Everyone has helped with such good advice I am sure I will choose the right foods for the night. I do intend on keeping off the rice. Congratulations also on the weight loss this morning. 61.6 seems like a dream to me at the moment but I am determined that this is the best WOL to get rid of that unwanted extra kgs and I am hanging on to that dream. As I read everyone’s posts of their new PB and so many of you are in the 60’s now it makes me want to be in the elite group of loosers who have made it! So thanks to everyone who shares with us and inspires people like me who know that we need to do this but still would like the old WOL, to a certain degree. I am not missing the carbs so much as I can feel the effects on my body the next day, but like you I love bread and yes the sourdough is wonderful, but I especially love the dark rye breads like you get in Finland and Sweden. (I had tea at my friend’s Swedish Cafe with OH this morning and she had fresh baked rye breads for sale, ooohhhh so tempting, but I was good!!!)
    As I said before I want to get into my ski pants again before December.

EA, you’ve done it! Great to hear, very happy for you.

JJulie, sorry I didn’t make it clear – the photos don’t physically disappear, its just that once we turn to the next page, it’s hard to go back and find anything. (CM posted a gorgeous photo of Charlie to show us that it could be done). If there was a completely separate feature for posting before and after photos, it would add credibility to the programme for the authors. They could perhaps be assigned a code which the poster could reveal on the thread should they feel comfortable doing so.

Well done folks on some great losses! I lost 1.2 kg this week and have list 2cm from my waist in 2 weeks. Happy dance!!

Thanks Thin

Woo hoo Angelbob – well done.

EA, let’s not have a repeat of last weekend’s fare, OK? Shall we give yourself a bit of a talking to now – maybe one hot chocolate, no chips and gravy, no British fish-n-chips or what was the other thing, oh yes, no cream filled donuts. Keep OH away from that bakery. Remember how long it’s taken you to see that 65 and how good it feels today.

Great AB2. You’re on your way to a skinny you for your wedding day.

Coastcat – it’s like when you’re pregnant, all the focus is on the delivery – no-one tells you what it’s going to be like when you get that little bundle home. Same with 5:2. It’s all about goal weight. The great news is that we have less of a bundle at the end, nevertheless we have to learn how to cope with it!

Elite group member signing off, ha ha, thanks, I love that title! The best thing about the elite group is that anyone can join. So, come on down.

Woohoo, EA you’re in the 65s!! Well done you! Yes I’m absolutely thrilled to see those numbers go down too….and what’s that OH of your’s doing leaving you without firewood in weather like this? Now don’t be too naughty this weekend….we’re watching you!! We’ll be that little voice in you’re ear….Put the Chip DOWN!

Angel you must be so happy! Great work too.

JJ, you’ve got 4 months til your”Ski Pants” deadline. Stick with us, you can do it! Love that you’ve given us “letters” after our name now!!

CM e.g.m. xx Ha! Love it.

Now who was asking about visceral fat?? Coast or JJ?? As Thin says, its best measured by an MRI, however, if you want to have a bit of fun, do the following.
    To determine if you have visceral fat – from the website loseviceralfat (dot) com. Here we go!

“Visceral fat is a fat that will stay the same rounded shape around your body whether you are sitting, lying down or standing up. Unlike ordinary fat, visceral fat does not fall to the sides when you are lying down. As such, if it was only ordinary fat, the front to back dimension will tend to decrease significantly if you are in the lying down position. With the difference in the characteristics of both ordinary fat and visceral fat, there comes an easy way in which you can actually measure it. Here’s how you can do it. All you need to do is to measure the comparison between the positions while you are standing up and again while you are lying down. Do not hold your tummy.
    First stand against a wall and lie something that is flat across your tummy such as a cardboard or plastic board so as to make it as a point of reference. Then take a straight ruler and measure yourself right from the back to the front that is, the length from the wall to the cardboard. Note the length down and this time lay down on the floor. Repeat the steps again and note the length from the floor to the cardboard. If the measurement of the depth of your tummy does not change at all or with only a very little change between these two positions, then there is a high likelihood that you are carrying a fair amount of visceral fat in your body.”

Oh Thin – you have made me laugh. I was literally standing by the computer hand on hip wondering what I was going to do about tomorrow – have the pie and chips? Have fish instead? Do they offer a grilled version? Should I just have a few chips with curry sauce? Should I not have anything like that? I’m in the 65’s now, do I want to ruin it? When lo and behold I saw your message.

You are my little voice of reason. Thank you for that. Have a wonderful weekend and a fabulous Sunday fasting fun day.

xxxx

Happy Friday all

Wow.. I bury my head in work for a week and miss so much! Huge congratulations to everyone on their PB’s, downward spiralling scales and infinite wisdom.

I managed two reasonably painless fast days this week and dropped 500gms (half a kilo sounds so much better!) which I’m pretty stoked at after a very foody Saturday. I’m still sticking to weighing myself once a week on a Monday as in the past, before I was even aware of 5:2, I could bounce around up and down up to 2kgs in a day… and that was with reasonable new whiz bang electronic scales. I’m pretty content to just watch the trends going forward – and adjust accordingly if need be.

Got my blood test results back yesterday and everything in pretty good shape within normal levels.. except for my vitamin D! Roll on summer I say – shall blame that on the weather not the diet. Now that I’ve got a bench mark I’ll be really interested to see what, if any, variations happen when I’m due my next lot in 6 months time.

I’ve got visitors arriving for the weekend so shall try to avoid all the pitfalls that means… as best I can.

Wishing you all a lovely healthy happy safe weekend.

CM – our posts crossed. Thank you. You and Thin certainly keep me on track. I know! Husbands! I love winter in Australia far better than the hot summers, but one of the reasons I love winter so much is having a nice log fire going. Hopefully he will go out and get some over the weekend. Oh wow, I reckon I have a lot of visceral fat. Thanks for sharing that. I’ll go and dig out some cardboard and a ruler and that’ll give me and the hubby something to do tonight.

Congrats on losing that half a kilo CK and well done on the bloods. Yeah, I have low Vitamin D as well.

xxxx

I got well behind in posts today so have been catching up over a cup of tea. OMG, CM another drop for you. Fantastic. And I’d forgotten about that visceral fat test that someone posted ages ago – probably you!

We were out walking at the river when that massive rain storm hit but we got under a shelter just in time and were able to watch the rain & hail chucking it down beside us, lightning hitting the river and listen to the thunder cracking above us. It was really great. Just wish we’d made it to the kiosk for coffee and the paper too.

EA, whoa, you and your OH sound a bit kinky if all it takes is a ruler and a bit of cardboard to ensure you have some fun on a Friday night. While reading the earlier posts properly, I saw that you’ve now lost 7 kgs since February. You’re doing so well (despite your dubious NFD food choices). Very happy for you.

Coastcat, here’s another exciting reward idea for you. I just treated myself to a set of whizz bang kitchen digital scales. You all probably have some already and are wondering how I went a whole year on 5:2 without them. Let’s hope I discover that we’ve not been eating enough, rather than too much which I fear may be the case if the test comparison weighing of the runner beans is anything to go by. Just need the travelling scales now and I’ll have the trifecta. Also, I forgot to mention that one of the cruel ironies of all this is that, as you lose weight, you must keeping adjusting your TDEE and resultant FD intake. Stating the bleedin’ obvious I know but I didn’t twig onto that until PVE and Bay pointed it out.

Earlier today, I posted a bit of a tirade about FB. It was quite negative considering so many people do love it. Apologies to anyone who had the misfortune to read it before I thought better of it and removed it. Like.

Coast, I will tell you the story of my journey because I suspect we have similar affinities for food – I have lost 15.5kg since 1 February. My BMI is now 23.6 and carbs are a part of my world. I have counted calories religiously in the early stages, which meant choosing good quality carbs – we can get a very thinly sliced grainy bread that makes lovely crisp toast and is just 70 cals per slice so I enjoy 2 slices of that when I crave carbs, or I have a bowl of porridge made with 1/4 cup of rolled oats, or 30g muesli with yoghurt. There is a brand of crackers that I really like, so sometimes lunch is 4 of those (118 cals) with cream cheese or tasty cheese and some caramelised onion. I am not a big fan of chocolate, but just occasionally I have a hankering. So I have a single square of Lindt (the block comes already in its separate pieces) which is 41 cals. I don’t get bloated when I eat carbs, and I don’t believe that they make it harder for me to lose weight. But I do believe I need to keep my calorie intake under my TDEE in order to keep the weight coming off and I am careful to use those calories on foods that fill me up and that I enjoy. If I wasn’t enjoying my food, then this WOL would not be sustainable for me and I believe I can maintain this in the long term by incorporating sensible serving sizes of all kinds of foods.

Now that the flu is largely behind me, hopefully I can get back to my long walks.

Speaking of scales, I have a set of these which I found locally and I keep in my handbag: http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Scale-Chrome-1kg-Digital/dp/B004O76DLU

CM, I have a difference of 6cm between lying on the floor and standing against the wall. Is that OK? Do I have visceral fat? 😆

That river walk, storms and all, sounds lovely (under shelter). I jumped in the car this arvo with the rain pelting down and it actually felt like that freezing rain you get in England. I forgot how yukky it is. Still miss home though.

Ha ha, sadly no. Not kinky. More of a sign that we need to get out more I think if that’s the most entertainment we can come up with on a Friday night. 6cm? wow. Skinny.

Thanks for the reminder about the TDEE. I shall have to recheck now that I’m in the 65’s!

Not a fast day for me but I have cabbage and onion soup and egg for dinner! Why? Because I’m in the zone. I’m also making pizzas for the kids (yeah I know twice in one week) but again will refrain. All that dough looks very heavy. I did have a mint slice biscuit though but stopped at one.

I actually attempted to make my own chocolate this arvo. I heated up some coconut oil and mixed it with cacao powder before putting in moulds and popping into the fridge. And I can honestly say the end result was disgusting. Awful. Really bad. I mean, I like coconut oil and I like cacao powder but this combo was the pits.

I’m trying to psych myself up for not eating British fish n chips tomorrow. What do other low carb/no bread etc 5:2ers do for lunch/dinner when they are out for the day? Everything I can think of comes with bread or pastries etc? I am truly stuck.

Thin – you won’t know yourself with your new fancy pants scales. I love my digital scales.

Hi SH,

Brilliant, thank you so much, all you wonderful people sharing your hard gained wisdom regarding how you all handled carbs on your specific journeys, as well as how to address the maintenance stage as wellI have lots to consider now 🙂 I will keep the ‘wriggle room’ concept in mind.

I can identify with your dilemma EA regarding how to ‘reward’ yourself. Well done on getting to the 65s and to the ‘optimum’ choices you eventually made LOL!!!!

CM, good losses!!! nearly there!!1 Keep those ski pants as your motivation. I am sure you will be reminded now and again by the posters LOL!! I had mentioned losing fat from around my organs and how to find out if i am losing it. That information is so interesting – can’t wait to try it. Thanks.

Julie, I totally understand your feelings about FB. I only set up a basic page because I needed to once, but very rarely use it or have anything to do with it. so rant away – there are pros and cons for everything – and some things suit some and not others.

Good stats Angelbob. Well done.

Thin, great analogy LOL!!! I will bear that in mind. That is a good reward idea – I don’t have one of those scales. Probably a good investment. Thanks for the idea 🙂

CruisingKiwi, good result. I like the idea of just weighing once. I can get quite obsessive about weighing but have controlled myself well this time and only do after an FD. I might giving once a week a go.

Thanks for sharing H4. Firstly congratulation on the loss – how wonderful for you. I love some of those ideas and that they are working for you. I am sure that I can utilise some of them. There is a lot that I have to think about, relating to rethinking some of my ideas about what is important in my food relationships.

Thanks Thin and H4 reminding me about re-assessing the TDEE constantly as I lose weight.

I decided to throw in a third FD today because I was busy – and it seems to be easier on those days,

Good night and thanks again for feedback,
    Coast

Just a quick note before bed… so many posts again today. Managed to put on 300g, so did a bonus FD today, so might weigh in again tomorrow and see if I get a better result 🙂 Figure this is a good start to my final full week before holiday so will be trying for a lean weekend. The only positive this morning was my fat test said I was at my lowest percentage and .kgs of fat a bit lower, so I’m dreaming that I have just put on a bit of muscle this week.

Thankfully throat / under chin just feels a little bruised today, and no cold like symptoms, so perhaps I just swallowed to vigorously and bruised some muscles.

Well done C-Kiwi on a great result and you to EA. wow 65’s!! and anyone else I missed…

Fine weather predicted tomorrow, so aiming to try a different track, skip the hill running and run along the flat for a bit longer than my normal, and try and get a record for distance.

Have a great weekend all you wonderful losers 🙂

Checking in SH –

after NFD I did a sneaky weigh and discovered I had jumped 1.5kg.

I got a scare so decided to do Friday as an extra FD and thankfully I have let go of that 1.5kg.
    Moral to the story – stop weighing!!!

I’ll follow CKiwis example and try to weigh just once a week (maybe a couple) :))
    signing off,
    Coast

Afternoon all – a rare blue sky, sunny day with no wind in the deep south! Yes, Coastcatbi, weighing in after a NFD sure is depressing, so this coming week, that is my one thing to really concentrate on – NO Jumping on scales til Friday!

Now with the exception of the above, after being 300g heavier on weigh day, which inspired a bonus FD, weighed in this morning and was down 650g from last week, so am going to claim that as this weeks weigh in, so 81.7! Just 400g from my 10kg milestone… so am hoping to report back in 6 days with a big grin!

I (just) managed to jog for an hour – and made 8km – (I’ll never be called speedy!!) but everything was aching as I stopped and walked for another km or so, and this afternoon I think will be a right off… recovering.

Does anyone else record their fat% and kgs? I have a gadget I hold, and have started doing that on my weigh mornings over the last month, and when I hadn’t lost anything it was still a wee bonus to see some changes going on internally that weren’t reflected, so I’ll be keeping that up.

Good morning, it’s the lone Sunday faster reporting in.

Nik & Coastcat, you’re very strong not to weigh daily. My weight always goes up between FDs, don’t be depressed about it, just expect it. I’ve recorded my weight daily over the past year but only ‘count’ my Thursday weigh-in. I find it a useful tool to monitor weight daily, sometimes there’s no obvious rationale for the ups and downs but other times, it’s helpful to get the feedback. I didn’t record my BMI (if that’s what you mean) but whenever I reached a milestone, I took pleasure in photographing my feet on the scales with both the weight and the BMI showing so I have a record of the falling BMI.

EA, yes, these kitchen scales are fantastic. So, how did you get on with your food choices yesterday? Send smiley face if you behaved, sad face if it was fish’n’chips and donuts.

Yesterday I made hearty root and barley soup for my FD meal tonight. It has chicken so it will be filling. OFMs will be getting the same with a side of rice and some crusty bread. Serves 6 so my portion will be minuscule and they can have the rest.

Off to walk the rescue greyhound, a cold but sunny morning in Perth.

Good Morning All,

Weekly weigh in day and FD for me. Doing the naked happy dance this morning 69.3kg! That’s 1kg down since last Monday. That’s big for me, and means my strategy over the last week is paying off, even though there was just a 100 gm loss from my 2nd FD.

This week I was paying special attention to my NonFDs. So the strategy was:

16:8 hr eating window each day, beginning from 12noon.
    seafood and lowest cal tofu
    Lowest calorie foods in each food type eg prawns calamari, non oily white fish- frozen basa
    Vegies- mushrooms-shitake, king oyster, various tomatoes, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, green beans, snow peas, asian greens, asian sprouts, salad vegies- baby spinach, lettuces,cucumber, grape tomatoes
    Ate out 3 times- 2 lunches, and a dinner, all Asian, again seafood, veg, and silken tofu, no rice,
    Dr

LOL… Obviously bumped the send button…..
    Drank water, sparkling water, weak black teas, 1 small skinny flat white.
    Fruit – strawberries and rockmelon, apple, pear, orange.
    Eggs most days, yesterday had stir fried shitake mushrooms and mung bean sprouts omolette.
    Smaller portions, but not so small that I’m hungry.
    Also small amount of raw walnuts, dried apricots.
    Herbs, spices, lemon to flavour things up as strong flavours give a feeling of satiety.

AND I”VE BROKEN THE 70 kg BARRIER!!! Thank you for your kind and encouraging comments! The tortoise of the Southern Hemisphere will get to the final goal LOL. The final goal is maintaince, and learning how to do that.

Happy Monday FD for the fasters, and well done Thin for yesterday!

Cheers,
    Merry

Oh, totally forgot…..
    On Wednesday I had a group of elderly people at home and had lamingtons and shortbread fingers, gerkin dip, cheese etc for them. I, a person who is grain intolerant and hasn’t been able to lose weight while eating grains, had a lamington and a shortbread finger. While it probably accounted for my ‘only100gm loss’ on my next FD, has not stopped me losing in the week overall! How cool is that? I’m over the moon this morning.

Thank you, thank you Dr Mosely! Thank you for bringing intermittant fasting to the notice of ordinary people like me. Thank you for your documentary, that my OH saw, that gave us 5:2, a way to do intermittant fasting that is sustainable, that can cope with all our various ways of eating and likes, that can cope with meals out and entertaining in. Thank you and Mimi for the 5:2 book that is so easily readable. Thank you for this forum, and especially this group of SH people on this list. We travel this road together, encouraging and supporting each other:-)

Hus to all,
    Merry

Great job Merry, very pleased for you. Treat yourself to a massage or something lovely to wear.

Things I have learned today: don’t take painkillers on an empty stomach. That is all

I’ve been weighing everything in sight with my new digital kitchen scales. Horrified to discover a smallish banana weighs nearly 200 gms. According to myfitnesspal, a 120 gm banana is 110 cals – does this mean without the skin? Please say yes.

What’s wrong Kate?

Took some for cramps this morning got to work and just about vomited. Lesson learned ?

It’s amazing what we think is a serving and what a serving actually is!

Yay, for you Merry. Glad you enjoyed your lami & shortbread and still lost weight. Now, you’re into the 60s…..Go you good thing! Sooo happy for you!! I think we’ve all got a lot to be thankful for….Dr M & Mimi who started it all. Forever grateful.

Hope you’re ok now Angel. Those things can be potent on an empty stomach.

Thin, yes I believe that’s peeled banana. You can breathe easy……but you are a good girl for measuring!! Hope you had a great FD yesterday.

Strength and determination to all of us fasting today….I have a feeling I might need it myself! CM xx

Hello all

Woo hoo Merry – in the 60’s. I am so happy for you. Well done.

I hope you are okay now Angelbob.

I am glad you are enjoying your scales Thin. How did your fast day go yesterday?

How’s your fast day going CM? Do you need to stock up on your strength and determination? Do you need a kick up the bottom? Or are you sailing through it now? You are not alone. I’m fasting today as well.

Oh Thin and CM. Not that either of you are old enough to be my mother and even though I haven’t even heard your voices, you were both in my ear on Saturday regarding my do I don’t I eat British fish n chips. Oh I agonized for most of the day. OK, I did have fish n chips but I didn’t finish them all and had just 1 hot chocolate for the drive home. They were blooming marvelous I have to say although as I had been cutting out processed carbs during the week, I don’t know if it had something to do with it, but shortly after eating it I felt really, really tired (Or was that just because I was getting dragged around Bunnings by the hubby??)Anyway, they were my lunch and dinner and no donuts and I walked on the treadmill for 15 minutes when I got home and burnt 70 calories. (Am I off the hook yet). :o)

Anyhoo, todays weigh in was 65.95 (still in the 65’s, phew). Who knows what tomorrows weigh in will bring. Roast chicken and veggie soup for dinner tonight. Can’t wait.

Hang on in there CM. Not too long until dinner time.

Happy Days Fasters

Thanks Thin and CM! I’m still on a high, well adrenalin hasn’t totally gone yet :-). And thank you both for this shared journey we’ve had. I’m gunna join you two down there at the bottom of the 60’s. Light at the end of the tunnel time!

Angel, bl….. cramps! Lesson learned, and an adjustment for you for if FDs coincide with crampy days in the future. Hope you’re feeling better this afternoon.

Other questions:
    No I don’t weigh fat etc I weigh daily and record that and my gym , after loo, naked, etc and have graph I record weekly on. I also measure waist measurement every couple of months.

How often you weigh is up to you and what works best for you.

Large jump of 1.5 kgs overnight is likely to include fluid retention.

Going to try on some older clothes I had kept to see what fits etc, especially trousers/ slacks/pants. What do you younger ones call them these days? My size 14’s are getting looser around the waist and the legs are getting a bit floppier. Trying to balance buying stuff with knowing my final size will be a 12. Bought new travel pants from Kathmandu ‘cos they dry so fast, light, and so easy to wear. Good thing about being 64 is you can be as stylish or dorky as you want and you don’t care what other people think. Turning 50 was a revelation in freedom from the fashion police!

Can I just say how refreshing it is to have mixed ages on here. Love it.

Cheers all,
    Merry

Viewing 50 posts - 6,351 through 6,400 (of 28,021 total)

You must be logged in to reply.