Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,925 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  Neilithicman 3 days, 18 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 6,301 through 6,350 (of 28,029 total)

• Great info thanks CM. It is funny because I was just typing a post about cutting out white/processed foods when the website suddenly disappeared and returned minus my draft post but your sent one.

I have decided to listen to you and others on here like minded and am reducing my carbs of the white/processed variety to see how that helps. My fat is mainly sitting on my belly which apparently is a sign of Carb intolerance but don’t quote me on that – it was just something I saw on you tube today. I’m still going to have my morning porridge and will see if I get enough carbs from my veggies, fruit and milk.

I’m going to increase my good fat even more (and currently sipping a green tea with a teaspoon of coconut oil in it. Yummy and makes your lips smooth. For lunch I had an egg fried in butter and a salad.

I am also going to attempt to increase the exercise.

It will be interesting to see how the scales read by the end of the week, especially my body fat percentage.

Anyway, just thought I would share in case anybody is interested. If I start dropping more weight a week, we shall know why!

Oh, I probably should say that I will indulge with chip shop chips from the British chippie but as I don’t live locally to it, it won’t be that frequent. Hey, a girl’s gotta live. EA xxxx

Still feeling a bit glumb as kind of went off track again tonight after a successful fast all day, but feel more encouraged after reading posts above, so thanks CM, JJ and EA!!

My OH has just given me the “build a bridge and get back on the horse” lecture, so tomorrow is my big hill run day, so will just try and moderate eating, get thru the run and get right back into things on Thurs.

thanks!!!!!!

You can do it Nik. xxxx

Wowzer everybody, hello from a warm (but not hot) Umhlanga Rocks in Durban. I see I have missed out on so many posts and, sitting here in the beach typing on my phone, just am not able to write to all of you individually. I am so sorry, but it’s tough to navigate back to see who had mentioned which point… Sorry.

My Thermie dem on Sunday went really well and I sold a machine, whoop whoop! I have had my machine since last November and totally love it. I wasn’t allowed to bring it on holiday as we didn’t have space – I am devastated!! Would have considered leaving a child behind to make space haha. Just kidding.

There is no scale in sight at the flat where we are staying but today is a FD and OH is joining me for the first time, so here is holding thumbs that we manage to stick to this while away.

There are a few Thermie 5:2 recipes that I have, although i have not yet used them, which I shall get up here once I get a chance.

Take care all and have a good week xx

Nik as EA says, you can, and will, do it. We have faith in you, so go ahead and get back on the horse….build that bloody bridge and ride on over it! Go Girl! xx

Hi SH,

Thanks for all the feed back on white carbs. Just what I was interested in.

I have not included them in my NFD so far because I want to lose weight at an optimum level. I take your points about substituting other veges – that confirms the strategy I have been using so far, is in the right direction. I like the idea of having carbs as ‘now and again’ foods – eventually. We are so brain washed into using them on a day to day basis. They are so cheap and convenient, aren’t they?

What about other grains like bugler, barley or rye or even cous cous? are they any better as substitutes?

CM, thanks for looking for those date recipes. I will have fun over the holidays :)). I’m studying psychological science. It’s heavy duty but it seems a lot of us mature types hanker for some answers to life’s puzzles ….. LOL!!!

Julie, brilliant stuff – letting go of 7kg!!! I understand what you are saying about not wanting to jeopardise everything you have worked so hard to achieve. I agree about giving up the wine for the time being as it is just empty calories. I had to smile today though. I really wanted to celebrate finishing my exams with a bubbly today at the Coffee Club but I was thwarted because that particular Coffee Club wasn’t licensed ….. LOL!!!

NikT, sounds like a tough day on your FD. Do you think it was physical or emotional issues? You will get through next time …………. you still did ok calorywise, didn’t you?

EA, thanks for the positive feedback on butter. I suppose as long as you don’t slather it on everything as just use it judiciously, it’s quite an ok natural food group. You are getting so close to that 65 number!!!! How long have you been stuck around 66?

What do you think, Thin, about some of my queries? It sounds like you’ve been around a while on the 5:2 and have hit your maintain weight. Is that right?

I would be interested to hear from longer term maintainers whether any of them have achieved getting to the stage when the just eat what they like on the NFDs.

cheers
    Coast

ps as you can see I still have time on my hands :)) I did go for a walk in between and done a bit of dancing – my favourite movement regime 🙂

Hi Coastcat, sorry I’m a bit behind on posts. You asked what I thought about some of your queries – I see a question about eating white carbs on NFDs on the previous page – what else were you asking? Yes, I have been doing 5:2 for exactly one year, I’ve not missed a FD in that time mainly because I’m deprived of an o/seas holiday for the first time in years (totally irrelevant, just having a whinge but I’m still somewhat apprehensive about how this will work for me when we do go away as we typically go overseas for a couple of months at a time).

I’m one that doesn’t like counting calories so my strategy was to plan my FD meals one month ahead of time (i.e. 8 fast days) to get it out of the way and take any surprises out of the FDs. I like to know exactly what to expect on a FD. I entered the ‘meals’ in a spread sheet and then as I progressed, I could mix and match and Excel added up the cals for both me and OH (allowing the extra 100 for him). Over time, I learned what 500/600 cals looked like. I’ve never counted cals on NFDs and, until recently, have eaten anything I wanted including carbs. What happened over time though was that the fast days changed my food desires and portion sizes.

My weight loss was fairly consistent over the year and characterised by two long plateaus, one over Christmas which I was thrilled with as I enjoyed absolutely everything on offer and normally would gain about 3kgs at that time of year. Around April this year, I plateaued again and realised I’d have to change something else. Thanks to lots of good advice on this forum, I started realising that processed carbs might be a problem, in particular bread. I cut out bread altogether. I’d already cut down portion sizes of rice, potatoes, etc so (with the exception of oats for breakfast) I cut all carbs back to ‘occasional’ and ‘minuscule’ and then, like CM and so many others doing the same, the weight started moving again and I noticed I felt better.

You say you have 35kgs to lose, so I would try and strike a balance between whatever makes this not look seem any other diet for you and where you can still get a steady weight loss happening. The critical thing is to get yourself to a healthy weight. While you’re mastering that, you can start exploring issues like carbs and going about the business of trying to undo decades of unhealthy habits we’ve all developed thanks largely to food manufacturers (honestly, I can’t believe what I considered a portion of rice should look like a year ago – I never even considered rice to be unhealthy).

As PVE has taught us, we must ultimately learn to eat to sustain the weight we want to be. So obvious. Yet many of us failed in our ‘diets’ before before we went straight back to our old eating habits. We have two excellent tools available to us this time: a) fasting to repair our cells and help us re-set our food preferences & desires naturally over time and b) this forum for support. I think I’ve gone well beyond the scope of your question. Let me know if this is what you meant.

*failed in our diets before because……(sorry, too much rambling, not enough editing)

You also ask “I would be interested to hear from longer term maintainers whether any of them have achieved getting to the stage when the just eat what they like on the NFDs.” Yes, I consider myself at my goal weight although happy if I lose maybe one more kilo for wriggle room as others call it. So, I am still on 5:2. this allows me to maintain my weight, maybe drop a tiny bit more through two rigid fasts and anything I want to eat on NFDs. What I want to eat is not what I wanted to eat a year ago – that’s the important thing. I can have a restaurant meal or maybe a small indulgence or even the odd slip-up – and then the fast day puts me straight back on track. I hope that helps. Good luck Coastcat. You can do this.

That is fantastic words of wisdom you have shared again Thin for Coastcat and all of us. I was watching a program today about how since the 1970’s food pyramid convinced one and all to eat 7-11 serves of carb a day eg bread, rice etc. I don’t think I have enough hours in the day to eat all that carb!!

Thin – you have been doing this for a year now. You know your food and you know your body. Please please please do not stress about going overseas. Relax and enjoy your time away. You have this under control.

Coastcat – I have been stuck in the 66’s for quite a while now although it probably seems longer than it is because I was in the 66’s when I had to take a break from the 5:2 and then fell straight back to the 66’s once I re-started (which was a good thing) but now I can’t seem to get out of it!

I made homemade pizza tonight for the family but I didn’t eat any. Just had veggie soup and some roast chicken thrown in.

I usually fast on a Wednesday but might change that this week to a Thursday. Will see how I feel in the morning.

xxxx

Thank you so much Thin. That was exactly what I wanted to know. There was a lot of information that I will be able to put to good use on my journey.

I love the organised control you had over the whole process 🙂 well done.
    You have motivated me – I am already working on a short and long term plan for myself incorporating lots of tips and ideas you have all provided in this forum.

So basically, to maintain success long-term on the 5:2 involves being mindful of what you are eating and making the right choices most of the time. Eventually this leads to changes to the basic way you view eating; and this will come automatically eventually. Until then be mindful of your choices but enjoy yourself occasionally :))

thanks again,
    Coast

That’s tough EA 🙁

If you have shown perseverance and determination before, then you know that you will be able to break through that barrier. Just stick with it :)) I am sure everyone is out there pushing positive supportive energy you’re way,

Coast

Bugger. I just lost a long post just as I finished it. Anyway, long story, short.
    Thin, well explained. Don’t stress about holidays. Stress is bad for you! You know how this works.
    Coast – you nailed it & have studied this thread well! You’ll go far.
    EA, you’ll be fine. Plateaus happen – no rhyme or reason. Stick with the rules & out of the blue the weight will start moving again. Happens to us all.
    Nite all. CM xx

Good morning all……
    Well this morning’s weight was 77.4. It means that I have lost the 600g that I put on over the weekend as well as another 200g. That makes me happy!!! 2.4kg to go and I will be 75kg, my first goal mark!!

I am seeing a change in my body as my jeans are fitting me so much better and I am loosing my bloated belly. Before I seemed to be just loosing the weight on the scales but not really seeing much of a body change. I will be really watching what I eat over the next weekend so as not to be putting anything back on!!!

I will be back later today and heres to a great day for those on a FD today.

Hi all you fabulous 5:2’s. What great posts and achievements.

Hi CM and Thin, my daughter is here for another week but have managed to do my two FD’s, weight this morning 75.8. Never ever thought to see that number again. JJ my first goal was 75 so we are both on track.

Let me share a cautionary tale and a walk of shame …. We had our strata group meeting on Saturday at my place. We get the business done but have a jolly good time as well. Everyone brought a plate and there I was faced with delicious food. I was in company so managed with a taste here and there but fatally some sweet biscuits were left with me and crackers I bought for cheese hardly had a dent in them. Saturday night saw me munch my way through 10 small but rich bikkies and I ahd the most awful stomach pains on Sunday morning and needed to stay nearby the loo for a while. Oh boy! And then Sunday night (because this is what carbs do to me) I had a terrible craving for carbs and ate quite a few lavosh crackers. Monday I felt like my whole body had arthritis and needed an anti inflammatory. And that is another key about not eating sugar and carbs: you cut down the inflammation in your body. A relief to fast on Monday and eat little but plenty of fats.
    I think way back JJULIE asked about eggs … Eat away every day. They have a low insulin response, good fats and great protein. Eating fat does not change your cholesterol; eating sugar and carbs is what affects those numbers.
    Good luck for a happy fast day everyone. X

Nik, don’t worry about that little hiccup. It is part of the learning process as Freya has just explained so well. So true about the sugar and starch – I used to shovel so much food in, I’d never have been able to isolate which food groups were affecting me in any particular way. It’s only through learning to eat sensible portions that I could start to identify that carbs were having a bloating effect, sugars were addictive and so on.

This past week, I’ve attended two morning teas where the offerings looked visually appealing but whereas once I’d have had it all in my mouth without even thinking, making sure I got my fair share and more, I was seeing it all in a completely different way and barely touched it both times (watch the ‘Fat vs. Sugar’ doco on SBS if you need convincing). Trust me, I’m still the person I always was with respect to food, it’s just that 5:2 has given me tools I didn’t have before to deal with my food issues. It takes time but you will be ‘shaped’ if you stick with it.

EA, did you decide to fast today? I hope so, then the sooner we’ll be celebrating that 65 with you. You’re almost there. Intesha, great to hear from you and well done! Terrific result. Remember when you didn’t believe you’d get below 80? Enjoy your last week with the family.

Avent, so there you are sitting on the beach north of Durban spending the proceeds from your Thermomix sale. Not jealous at all. On our last trip to S.A., I booked some accomm. through SafariNow and they still send emails with the latest deals which I love daydreaming about. The last one included some places in Umhlanga.

FD for me today. Off to walk the dog and then he’s getting a bath & blow dry before his owners come to collect him. When he’s gone, I’ll be cleaning all the floors in readiness for Molly, the rescue greyhound who’s coming to stay for the weekend. So I’ll be active.

Thanks Coast and yep, as CM said, you certainly know what you are doing.

Thanks CM. Thin, I woke up this morning wondering what to do then automatically made a milky tea. Haven’t had breakfast yet but as I usually have no calories until dinner, I guess my fast day will be tomorrow now because of the milk. That’s okay. I am going to try and move heaps today whilst watching my carbs. Then hopefully after my second fast tomorrow, Friday morning will bring some good news. 65’s please body. Enjoy your FD Thin. Lots of calories get burnt cleaning floors.

Freya, I hope your tummy is okay now and well done on being brave in confessing to us. We all have our moments but you will be straight back on track now. Live and learn.

Well done Intesha and JustJulie on your losses.

All the best to Wednesday Fasters. I won’t be joining you today but you are all in my thoughts.

Coast, here are the recipe/s I promised you. One is for a thermomix, but works perfectly with a food processor. Enjoy! CM xx
    http://www.recipecommunity.com.au/desserts-sweets-recipes/choc-date-balls/50759
    http://www.bakeplaysmile.com/raw-guilt-free-peanut-butter-brownie-bliss-balls/

JJulie, completely forgot to congratulate you on your loss. An astounding result; some new clothes on the horizon for you?

Morning CM, are you fasting today? EA, isn’t it great that we have so much flexibility in this WOL?

It certainly is Thin.

Kia ora! Well done everyone on your great results! 2nd fast for the week in week 2. I’m hungry but have had so much energy today. I’m still playing around with how to eat and what to eat on my fast days. At the moment skipping breakfast and then having lunch and dinner seems to work best for me. Also I always find my first fast of the week harder than the 2nd. Hope you’re all having a great Wednesday

Hi AB (Kate), that’s my strategy too. I started with three small ‘meals’ to make it manageable for OH, then I moved to waiting until 2pm for the first meal and ultimately to 5pm which was a recent experiment over the last four fasts just to see if I could. Today I’m having my old standby cauliflower soup for lunch and then Spanish Fideos (142 cals) dinner. That involves a baked egg so, just before bed, I’ll have a banana instead of my usual egg. What’s for dinner at your place?

Ooh what’s in Spanish fideos? Had an omelette with some feta for lunch and veg stir fry with some edamame beans in it for tea

What are edamame beans? Do you count the cals in all the veg that go in your stir fry or just estimate it? Here’s the Spanish Fideos recipe Kate – really tasty and filling and now we know we can use the konnyaku noodles but I had a cupboard full of Slendier to use so will be using Angel Hair tonight:

SPANISH FIDEOS serves 2
    142 cals per serve

• 1 packet Slendier Angel Hair
    • 1 Olive Oil Spray
    • 1 jalapeno (seeded and chopped)
    • 1 onion (finely diced)
    • ½ red capsicum (seeded and sliced)
    • 1 tsp garlic (minced)
    • ½ cup reduced salt vegetable stock
    • ½ cup tinned tomato
    • 1 tsp chilli powder
    • ½ tsp ground cumin
    • ½ tsp dried oregano
    • ¼ tsp pepper
    • 2 eggs
    • 1½ tsp coriander leaves
    • ½ lime (cut into wedges)

1. Prepare Angel Hair per pack and set aside.
    2. Preheat oven to 180C. Spray 2 small ovenproof ramekins with cooking spray and set aside.
    3. Spray large fry pan with cooking spray and heat on medium-high. Add jalapeno, onion and red capsicum and sauté until onion is translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
    4. Add Angel Hair, ½ the stock, tomatoes, chilli powder, cumin, oregano and pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to low and cover. Stir once or twice over 3-4 mins. Add more stock or water if too dry.
    5. Transfer the mixture evenly between to 2 ramekins. Break 1 egg in each dish gently in the centre of the baking dish. Place carefully in oven and bake until whites are just set (approx. 7 min).
    6. Sprinkle with coriander and serve with lime wedges.

Photo and more recipes can be found on the Slendier.com website but I understand they’re expensive in NZ so substitute with konnyaku which is very inexpensive from Asian grocers.

Ah yes, just looked it up – we’ve had the edamame beans as an appetiser in a Japanese restaurant.

Yum thanks. I use a frozen stir fry mix and add in what fresh veggies I have. I count the calories for all of them as well a soy sauce etc. I use my fitness pal

Nearly there Angelbob and Thin. Enjoy your dinners.

AB2, I must check the frozen veg section, I usually only buy peas as I’m not keen on a lot of frozen veg. but that could be a good idea to weigh out some frozen veg. to save cal counting – if they’re tasty.

Thanks EA. Got two good walks in and some floor cleaning before the rains came. Have spent the afternoon absorbed in checking FF point requirements and trying to decide where to go next so that’s taken my mind off eating. Would it be rude to travel Premium Economy and have the teen sitting in cattle class in the back? OK, just asking. Not quite enough points for three …..

Thin, I use a mix called vitality mix. Has edamame, shitaake mushrooms, beans and capsicum. Not a bad base for adding fresh stuff to and no waste

Thanks AB2, I’ll rummage around the freezer section next time I’m shopping.

I don’t think so Thin and I am sure the teen would understand how hard mum and dad work, how much they deserve a little bit of luxury. OK, no, not sure you would get away with that – I know my teen would be less than impressed. Does you teen work? Maybe the could pay the extra?

Yay! have my mojo back! a successful NFD, don’t count calories, but just ate very healthy, went hill running despite the rain, and skipped my ½ hot milk drink tonight, as most nights have some dark choc and a decaf coffee, but will try and just have one or the other now as a positive step forward.

I’ve faced up to my few depressive days and admit the cause of it all… couldn’t resist stepping on scales Mon morning – and just gutted again to be up 2kg from my weigh in on Fri…. so have made a firm resolve to only weigh in on weigh day next week.

I love reading how everyone is in the 70’s and working their way down, as one day I hope to be there… but figuring with holidaying coming up, it might still be a while to go. (Awesome work JJ and Intesha!!)

Hey Thin – I enjoyed your long post and really related when you said you plateaued over xmas as for me that would be a dream, because most years I seem to lose a few kgs over winter and then with all the fine living over summer, put on 5-6kgs, and then [hit repeat]… so this year, if I could only stay the same I would be wrapped… having fast days up my sleeves feels like a secret weapon. We have no long holidays with the in-laws this year, so feel like I’ll have more control. (and no, definitely not rude to shove the kids in cattle class!!)

Best wishes to all the Thurs fasters tomorrow!!

I must Facebook too much, I miss having a like button on here lol. Several times I’ve read stuff and gone to put a like on it

I have just finished a big post and now it is gone because it said I was not logged in!!!!
    So now the short version…..
    Thin – have you had a look at doing points plus pay for your trip? You then might be able to get three people on premium economy for a minimal amount of money.

Angelbob2 – Yes I know what you mean, sometimes when reading posts that I agree with or like I have thought how handy it would be to have a like button to show you care!!!

Thin – also about buying new clothes…..I went to Kuranda village on Sunday and just had to visit my favourite little dress shop that has the most amazing different clothes especially for my age group!!! I found this lovely light jacket that is black and red with Japanese fans and flowers on it. I also wanted the matching top but they only had a medium size. I tried it on and it fitted just so perfectly with no lumps or bumps that you would not want to see. So I have started my celebration a little early!!!

Also have decided to start back with Japanese lessons and had a wonderful hour private lesson with my teacher (mostly revision to see what I can remember) but still did not do too bad!! Cant wait for next week!!

I have been finding that I dont need to eat too early in the day and can last until dinner time so although today was not a FD only had dinner. It must be a stir fry time for all as we also had stir fry. Cabbage, capsicum, mushrooms, zucchini, celery, onion and sugar snap peas from my garden. The sauce I used was Kikkoman Roasted Garlic and Soy (Japanese yaki-niku style) 17 calories per serve.
    Meat was mixed grill of rump, lamb chop and pork skewers. Now sitting relaxing with a green tea infused with strawberry and reading all the posts!!

have a great night everyone and will pop in again tomorrow!!

Sorry the other thing was about edamame.

This is soy bean. You can buy in the supermarkets frozen. Just defrost in the sink in a little warm water then open the bag and put into a bowl to eat.

You put the bean in your mouth and pop the peas into your mouth. They are slightly cooked and salted and often eaten with a drink or appetiser in a restaurant. We often buy them when overseas and take back to our accommodation to have with our drinks. (drinks in Japan are expensive so we usually get a bottle and then enjoy in our room)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edamame

Sorry …… forgot to say you dont eat the pod!!!

Hello SH,

Well done Intesha. Great achievement 🙂

Thin, good control – I’m glad that you (and others too) are showing that IT CAN BE DONE!!!!! :)) we don’t have to sample everything just because it’s there …..
    Have a good FD.

Avent, congrats on the Thermomix sale. Are Umhlanga Rocks nice? I’ll look it up. I’m sure you don’t need to be told to have fun 🙂

EA, so close ………… 🙂 Hope the FD goes to plan tomorrow.

CM, thanks for those links. I will have fun checking them out 🙂

Great stuff Angelbob2. I am finding that skipping eating till late in the afternoon is suiting me as I am busy on both those days. I am finding that really easy. That then gives me plenty of calories to have for dinner and the munchies when I get them :))

mmmm.. Thin , those Fideos sound yum.. I’ll give them a go.

Thin, in my lectures on nutrition recently our professor said that these days frozen veges ae a really good alternative to fresh. Sometimes even better nutritionally because they are snap frozen almost immediately. Whereas we don’t know how long ‘fresh’ veges have been stored for. I hope that’s what you were alluding to before. sorry if I got it wrong.

AB, that vege mix sounds so nice – I’ve never seen that before. Is that from an Asian shop?

NikT, glad to hear the news about your mojo. Nothing worse when it goes walkabout 🙂 You will do fine with that ‘secret weapon”…..

My Fd has been going well except I have a sore throat. Had a long say at work too, so I will go to bed early to make sure I don’t succumb to the dreaded munchies later n the evening. Can’t wait for my weigh-in tomorrow morning.

cheers,
    Coast

How do I keep up with you guys! Late post for me. Been out all day visiting a friend and talking puppies!

Hey Intesha, we’ve missed you. Congrats on your PB!! Has your daughter noticed any difference or commented on your new WOL? So proud you’ve stuck with it…very happy for you.

JJ, I found the weight seemed to leave my body from the feet, up. I know it sounds strange, but I’ve never been able to lose weight in my legs. But I have this time….a lot, and I still have my boobs! Get your measurements out and re-check, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Too true Thin. Well said about being “shaped” mentally as well. Yes, FD for me today. Thanks for that recipe, it always sounded strange but looks delicious. You could always bribe Teen to sit down the back of the bus! Never know, she might prefer having the oldies in another cabin! Who knows what cutie might be in the next seat…. See you tomorrow.

Freya and EA – Sorry you can’t join us for coffee tomorrow. Maybe next time.
    Glad today is better for you Nik. Angel , I often wish I could “like” posts too.

Re carbs & my experiment last night (the things I do for you guys!). With just one thin piece of pumpernickel bread with dinner, and I’m up 300g this morn! Calories for the day were really low at around 800 and no other carbs. It had exactly the same effect on OH too, although he had 3 pieces and is up 500g! He’s convinced now! He has also committed to starting 5:2 as he is insanely jealous that I have made it, and didn’t falter. He’s a “techno-dope”, so I’ll probably have to do all his MFP calculations for him too. Sigh…
    Another FD almost over. Hope all you fasters out there did well. CM xx
    Edit…& another 4 posts have just appeared!

Nik – I’m glad you have reclaimed your mojo. Good on ya.

JJulie – congrats on the perfectly fitting jacket – a good reward and non food related. I think the fast day dinners on non fast days must be catching. The past two nights I have turned my veggies into soup – I actually weighed them out tonight like I do on a fast day. Going to have lamb with mine.

Thin – another fast day under your belt. Well done.

I too go to press the like button. Ah well.

Fasting Day tomorrow. Wonder what the scales will say in the morning.

Coast – Try turmeric milk….its supposed to work wonders for a sore throat.

I will – thank you, CM.

Good night everyone

Evening All,

Ok all you smartiepants who can still actually make a list of comments to various people, LOL, I am totally unable to keep up with everyone’s doings now. You know what? That’s great! The more the merrier! But I know you won’t mind if I can’t do it. As I said once before….when I read your post I follow your individual story and think about you individually, and am cheering you on, but when I get to post it all goes into a blur.

Except, Intesha, good to hear from you and well done!

This week on weigh in I went down 400gms to 70.3 kgs. I want to see that 69.9 now! Only 0.2 off 13 kgs gone now. Feels so good, and I’m now in the normal BMI range!! I even reckon my posture is better. A number of people now ask what I ‘m doing. Another CFS lady even asked to borrow my book after seeing me change over time, so have lent it to her. Easy for other people to get a book but something like that can sometimes be an added extra that it a step to far for CFS people.

Re holidays and travel. Earlier in the year I spent 4 1/2 wks in NZ and did my FDs. Some of them I did have more than 500cals,, but not heaps more,and simply waited longer to eat the next day, not eating til 2pm ish. I ate all sorts of things because I love trying all sorts of foods from other places. I’m one of those people who can’t eat grains and starchy carbs/vegies, and lose weight. My goal was to come back the same weight as I left. I was 800gms up when I got home. I did have to retrain myself back off the grains when I got home, but I got there, and then got through a 2 1/2 month plateau! The beauty of 5:2 is that you can do it anywhere! You can enjoy food you like in moderation. If you go right off or binge you just start again. I like the statement someone said- that 5:2 shapes you. Absolutely.

Following Purple VE’s example, this next trip I’m taking little travel scales, will weigh daily, and my goal is to continue my FDs. We leave in Early September for 5 1/2 weeks away, going to Turkey for 2 weeks, then Budapest to Amsterdam on a river cruise, with extra days in Amsterdam. I can see me mostly missing breakfast and just having lunch and dinner. Haven’t decided yet whether my goal will be to keep losing while away, or to aim to come back the same weight.

Some of us are good at keeping to things strictly. Some of us aren’t as good at doing things strictly, and we go off for special celebrations, or pur resolve weakens at a particular time. For me, about every 3 months I have a day where I just have a strong compulsion to eat. I don’t know why it happens, and I just try to keep to the lower cal stuff, but don’t always manage it. Funny thing is that I often don’t put on much at all when it happens. It could be part of the funny gut stuff that happens with CFS, but sonce it’s happened 3 times now in my time on 5:2, I’ve stopped worrying about. This Way of Life (WOL) is very adaptable. I can’t do it as fast but it’s still working. I’m doing it far from perfectly, but it’s still working. My advice to newbies is just keep going, and if you fall off the horse just get back on, and learn why you fell off the horse.

Night all.
    Merry

That’s amazing that you only gained 800gms on your last holiday Merry. Yeah, I do worry about it for our style of travel. A couple I introduced to 5:2 several months ago, and who’ve done very well on it, have just returned from 5 weeks in Africa. They do the kinds of trips we do and they told me they found it virtually impossible to fast while relying on meals out despite making a determined effort. They both gained 2-3kgs and are just going to ‘deal with it’ now they’re home. The Petit Mignon travel scales are a great tip from PVE to help us keep on track as you go and avoid any horrible surprises on return. I’ll be getting those. And you’re almost in the 60s Merry – great job!

CM, wondered where you were today, glad you stayed busy. Thanks for the pumpernickel experiment. Surprisingly, teen said that was fine with her if we were to do a little upgrade without her. Never travelled in anything but cattle class and those premium seats sure look roomy in the photos. The other thing is though that I’m considerably lighter than the last time I went on a plane so I would have quite a bit more room now. The equivalent of about 20 bags of sugar in extra space.

Coastcat, yes I did mean I don’t usually like the taste of frozen veg. I recall my domestic science teacher from about 45 years ago saying that veg had to be good quality in order to be frozen or canned. You’re quite right about the storage and transportation of so-called fresh produce – you should try living in Perth, we even have to endure onions that have been frozen and apples from several seasons previous. Nothing tastes like it’s supposed to.

Well done Nik, back with the programme. And JJulie, the mention of Kuranda took me back to my hitchhiking days around Australia a hundred years ago – if you’re talking about the little market stalls in the rainforest north of Cairns. I broke my foot river-rafting on the Tully river and had to stay at the Kuranda backpackers for several weeks. It was a terrible life having to chill out up there for so long but someone had to do it. I’d forgotten all about it. Now I’m remembering railways and waterfalls – is that where you live?

Just love Kuranda, the Atherton Tableland, Port Douglas, Palm Cove, etc etc. Oh, you can take the girl out of Qld…but not Qld out of the girl!
    Merry, you’re sooo close to the 60s!!! You’re amazing & inspiring & going so well with everything you have to deal with. Have a wonderful trip…its not long now!
    I found on my recent holiday that salads really were my best friend. I could have some beautiful food or sample other things if I stuck with a salad for lunch. My fav was a huge bowl of rocket with shaved Parmesan & a little dressing or olive oil & lemon. For dinner I had almost whatever I wanted. So, Merry & Thin, don’t sweat the small stuff. Enjoy the trip, you have the tools to deal with it while you’re away & know how to fix it when you return. We need to thoroughly enjoy the opportunity to travel & experience different cuisines. 5:2 will still be here when you get back. CM xx

Hi SH,

Merry, LOL!!! I have a dastardly wicked way of appearing to be a ‘smartiepants”!!!

I have terrible retention powers and found myself very confused and dazed with all the information in the different posts from different people. I felt badly not responding to some really interesting thoughts or acknowledging successes.

So what I started doing was write Notes (in my little Note application on my laptop – could do it on a word document just as well) as I read them and then as I get through reading all the mail I already have my reply done. Voila!!!.

I find I still can’t respond to everyone – that would be hard and make for huge posts. So believe me I appreciate everybodies posts even if I don’t respond.
    Congratulations on the loss. Getting close now 🙂

Thin, that is good news about the amazing reaction from your teen. So are you all set with your plans to upgrade? What a wonderful gift to yourself for letting go of that 20 bags of sugar!!! love it 🙂

Julie, love the Kuranda area – lets face it – the whole area is great…..

CM, that’s a good tactic. Mindful choices doesn’t mean you have to limit everything. Excellent philosophy.

cheers,
    Coast

And now the important stuff.

Hi SH,

checking in after 3rd lot of FDs: let go of 6KG!!!!!!!
    WOO HOO!!!! that can’t all be water, can it???

I have shrunk by 16cm – neck, bust, waist and butt. That is so good.
    I suspect that I am probably losing a lot of fat from around the internal organs as well – I wonder how I could check that – anyone know?

So I am very happy. I only have 2 kg to go to reach my first goal.
    Any ideas for how I could celebrate? Unfortunately, most of my ideas are food related so I need to retrain my thinking. Need help :)) and suggestions please?

Hope everyone doing FDs gets the results they hoped for.

Coast

Good morning all…..
    I started a post this morning and was about five lines into it when my computer decided to shut down!!! hate that, but at least it was not a lot of typing I lost.

Coast – Wow and a big congratulations for that 6kg loss. I dont think it could all be water as I have found that the fluid loss seems to happen in the first few days then everything slows up and that is the “good stuff” that is being lost. Correct me if others know better.

My post about my new jacket was not very clear and I found out when I reread it. The jacket I bought was a L size, thats ok cause jackets are not supposed to be tight, but the matching top was the M size. That is the one that I tried on that fitted me surprisingly, so I bought both!!!! Can’t wait till the weekend when we will be entertaining the Japanese contingent from Minami city and I can show it off!!

Question for everyone……..Good friends of ours have asked us out for dinner on Saturday night. We usually meet up about once every three months and because they are chinese we go to a chinese restaurant. The question is, what would be the best foods to eat so I dont undo all my hard work? I will not eat all day so this will be the only meal.

So my good news for the day……I love the number 7 and of course the number 77 is doubly nice. When I weighed this morning the scales read 77.1 which was a loss of 100g from yesterday. I had my shower and weighed again, just to see if there would be any change, and my weight was 76.9! So even though I loved the 77’s I am happy to see them go!!! Now I have lost a total of 7.5kg and I am still in the fifth week. Happy as!!!

Well time to go and get my 16 year old to TAFE, then come back and do some office work. I shall check in again later in the day.

Have a good FD to all those Thursday FD people!!!

Coastcat, congratulations! You are right to be concerned about visceral fat as there are many health risks associated with it. The only reliable way to measure visceral fat is by MRI and that’s an expensive procedure. About 10% of our total fat is likely to be stored as visceral fat, therefore your BMI is important. Another good indicator is your waistline measurement. As far as celebrating, how about treating yourself to a massage? I’ve often tried celebrating with food and I always regret it.

We haven’t decided on a destination yet, we were thinking of going back to our beloved Africa for the summer holidays but now teen has been offered a place to go to South Africa next July on a uni excursion. If she accepts, we’ll tag a family holiday on to that. Hearing all the forum stories about fasters’ European holidays, I’m looking into Spain & Portugal for the summer holidays. We’d like to experience a winter there as we’re considering retiring there at some point.

JJulie, fantastic result for you too. Great job. Re: the Chinese meal, I think I’d be doing the same, not eating all day (that’ll be easy for you now). Another strategy I use is downloading the menu before we go out and having a very good think about what I’ll order so there are no impulsive decisions driven by hunger. Avoid the rice. Small portions if it’s a banquet/buffet style. I’m just imagining Chinese food now and thinking ‘no thanks’ so it may be that it holds less appeal when you see it.

A small victory for me this morning on the scales and a new PB at exactly 61.0. Looking forward to catching up with the lovely CM in Freo today.

Hi Coast,
    Re how devilishly simple your way of keeping track and writing. It definitely is LOL for me because the simple bit applies to most people and the devilish bit applies to me. There’s a glitch in the techie bit of my brain and I can’t even keep in there how to cut and past. Ce la vie! My IT kids and I laugh about it:-).

Must go,
    Happy FD to Thurs fasters, me too.
    Back next week, but will be reading
    Cheers,
    Merry

Afternoon all.

Well done all you losers and Thin – another PB – Congratulations. Enjoy your catch up with CM. I love Freo but hardly go there now I’ve moved to the sticks.

Can’t help with the chinese food sorry. I’m more of a meat and three veg type of girl but good advise from Thin.

All this talk of holidays is giving me itchy feet. This time last year I was back home with my family and really wish I was there now.

Now for the nitty gritty. I weighed in this morning at 66.05 so no fluctuation since my fast day on Monday (blooming 66’s). However, my fat was down 0.1 to 28.7% so was excited to see that after my two days of high fat low carb. I reckon that 0.1% has come off my chin!

Well, I’ve spent most of the day sitting down painting, doing puzzles, reading and building blocks with the toddler (will have to get a bean bag, so uncomfortable on the floor). So now it is nap time I will do some ironing and kitchen cleaning to burn some calories. It’s really chilly today.

All the best fellow Thursday Fasters. I will check in tomorrow.

Viewing 50 posts - 6,301 through 6,350 (of 28,029 total)

You must be logged in to reply.