Hashimoto Disease and fasting

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Minka 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• I’ve started the 5:2 diet a couple of weeks ago after reading Dr Mosley and Mimi Spencer’s impressive book. The science behind the book was very interesting abd decided to embark on it. The first day of fasting was hard but not on the side of feeling hungry but on other effects such as migraine and some aches. I thought it was just my body getting used to it. However, the second day of fasting (3 days after the the firs fast) felt brutal on my body. I felt so sick that I thought I had a virus, muscle aches, bloated tummy, a migraine, irritable and exhausted. Worst of all, these symptoms lasted for two days after the fast. I decided to search for information on Hashimoto Disease and Fasting and I found this: https://hashimotoshealing.com/intermittent-fasting-and-hashimotos/
    I think the diet has merits and helps many people, but it might not be suitable for people with Hashimoto. I thought to warn those in my situation and recommend that they work with their Dr before taking in the diet.

Im assuming you’ve had your T3, T4 and TSH levels measured and they are abnormal? And that the diagnosis was Hasimoto? When you say you fasted, are you talking water fast for 36 hours or reduced calories 500/800 for the 36 hour period? You have to increase your water intake, salt intake and magnesium intake to compensate for your reduced food intake. Perhaps do IF in consultation with your Dr who is well aware of your Hasimoto. Good luck.

Hello Trying Too Hard,

I’m a Hashimoto’s patient and I’ve been practicing for over 2 years, however, I have to be considerate because many of us with Hashimoto’s develop a secondary condition called ‘adrenal insufficiency’ which leads to low cortisol. The stress fasting puts on the body sometimes requires more cortisol than our body is able to produce.

May I ask if you also experience the symptoms you describe above when you exercise? If so, your issue might be due to low cortisol levels.

As per the circadian rhythm noted in the article, I regulate mine by adhering to strict sleep wake times and by administering my thyroid dose during the window in the wee hours of the morning when cortisol is produced. In other words I practice the Circadian T3 Method.

Hope this helps and know that it IS possible for someone with advanced Hashimoto’s to gain great benefit from practicing 5:2.

Have you had any research done in this direction or is it your opinion?…

Hi daniela34,

Yes, I have done extensive research on this topic. Here are some of those articles if you are interested in viewing them…

https://chriskresser.com/intermittent-fasting-cortisol-and-blood-sugar/

https://www.naturalendocrinesolutions.com/articles/intermittent-fasting-thyroid-health/

Also, what I wrote isn’t simply a viewpoint, but an experience of mine from having my cortisol and thyroid levels tested at various points of my years of intermittent fasting experience and comparing these with symptoms.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.