Fresh start September 2021 challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Fresh start September 2021 challenge

This topic contains 406 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  jaifaim 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 428 total)

• Day 3 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 223 lbs. Hmm. No 221 or 222 this week. Average weight definitely floated up a couple of pounds in July and August. Holiday weekend ahead, but keeping myself Fung-minded today.

Successful FD yesterday, but alas. We do keep trying LOL

Day 3 Canada NFD

Off to work with a good PFDS on board. Scales are ⬇️ after an easy FD.
    Send good mojo everyone’s way!

Day 3 – Canada 🇨🇦 – NFD

Just a quick post to try to stay accountable. I’ve had a late start and I’m just running out the door. Take care all.

Day 3 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

I did not manage a LFD yesterday. If I’d been truly resolved, I could have, I think, but I was so hungry that I gave up around 6pm (our usual dinner time). But all I ate was some chicken broth (30 calories) and two quarter-cups of pistachios (as in, I measured them, 340 calories). I went to bed with a headache, and have woken up with it. I just took some Excedrin, but I’m wondering if it’s my body moving into ketosis that’s causing it? I’m hopeful, LOL!

@songbirdme I wondered if that was what you meant; your fingers were truly dancing on the keyboard, huh? 😂 I’ve had plenty of typos where I laughed and shook my head.

@high5 That’s a perfect example of a typo that’s worthy of laughing and shaking our head! I couldn’t figure out at all what you intended by “first”!

@daffodil2010 The one thing you haven’t mentioned is if you’re sad not to be going with him and meeting her at the same time?? Have a grand weekend to yourself, however!

@funshipfreddie LOL, so sorry my supper description was torture for you! 😂🤣😂🤣 Something I often find myself doing on FDs is looking at recipes on Pinterest…the “delay don’t deny” thing, I suppose.

@emma-taylor What is a “lady swim”? 🤔 I can just imagine your friend’s reaction to you not eating…hopefully she’s over it by the time you meet today. A year ago, when DH and I were on vacation in California with my sisters and brother-in-law, I had just begun TRE, not eating until 3 in the afternoon. My BIL proudly reported after we got home that he and my sister had both lost four pounds in the week we were there; apparently they both snacked far less than normal during that week! Perhaps your friend is feeling a bit guilty; is she overweight at all?

OH! @emma-taylor I just read your explanation; NOW it makes sense. 😁

@babs_b As you listen to Dr. Fung, note what strikes you the most, and share it, okay? And a tomato plant as an indoor plant??????? 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣 One does what one must in order to have homegrown tomatoes, huh? Although that is the very first time I’ve heard of anyone doing that! 😁

Where in the world is @penz and our other Aussie friends?

We’ve had nearly eight inches of rain in the last week, and it’s a gloomy day today. I think that means it’s time to get out my fall decorations, a task that takes several hours because I have so many. This Sunday, my great-nephew is coming for church and brunch as usual, and he’s bringing along six college friends who asked “Can we go to your aunt’s for brunch also??” Awww! So I’ll make a breakfast casserole and cut up some pineapple and/or cantaloupe, and that should be lovely and easy both.

Have a great day, everyone!

second post

Here’s a question for you all who already know so much about HFLC: how many carbs can you have without messing up ketosis?

I’m thinking about Sunday’s breakfast casserole that has bacon and sausage both with the eggs and cream, but also frozen tater tots–and therefore lots of carbs. And the fresh fruit has plenty of carbs. Will that throw my body out of ketosis (or slow it down from reaching it, as the case may be)?

And next Friday the 10th, we’re having a dinner party with two other couples, and it will have plenty of carbs, just because that’s what a typical dinner menu has (the caramelized carrot risotto will be the biggest culprit, along with the plum tart for dessert).

Any words of wisdom, knowledge, or experience to help this newbie on her brand-new path?

Day 3 North Canton OH FD

I took my dear husband out yesterday for a well deserved birthday dinner and it was amazing. The food was delicious and the company was stellar but I ate too much. So I am liquid fasting today, water and sparkling water spike with ACV for me today, with one cup of coffee with HWC to make things interesting.

Have a wonderful Friday everyone, and enjoy the weekend

Day 3 – 2nd Post

@stitchincarol – I think it varies from one person to the next; but generally they say up to 50 g for women & 60 g for men. You might find this useful:-
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/how-many-carbs-on-keto#:~:text=According%20to%20a%202018%20review,60%20g%20of%20protein%20daily.

When I was doing HFLC earlier this year I used the ‘Carb Manager:Keto Diet Tracker & Fasting App’ from the Play Store. Really good & easy to use. I just used the free version for counting carbs. Though I never actually checked whether I was in ketosis or not; I was just following a HFLC diet. I’m using myfitnesspal again though now.

There’s also tons of information re low carb/keto on the http://www.dietdoctor.com site too.

third post

@funshipfreddie Thanks for the links and the app suggestion; I’ve read/downloaded all. Did you lose weight when you were doing HFLC?

The one thing about the app that has me stumped is what percentage of each of the three macronutrients they’ve assigned me. Is that clearer in the paid version, do you suppose? I mean, I could do the math, LOL, but I’m mostly wondering WHY the percentages they’ve assigned me.

Day 3 UK NFD
    Thank you for such an encouraging welcome. I have to say though I am finding reading the posts a bit tricky because I have not got my head round the abbreviations! Am thinking I may need to write some out in full so I know what they mean. Also the posts that address someone in purple beginning with a @ sign. How do you do that?? I am definitely not tech savvy I’m afraid!
    Yes ,Caoimhe is Irish and you can pronounce it Keeva or Queeva.
    One of the reasons I have started the Fastdiet is because I was trying on a couple of my smarter dresses as we have an occasion coming up only to find they were just too tight. My heart sank…..how has that happened?? Too many carbs and too much dairy, particularly cheese, is my downfall. So have decided I am no longer going to over indulge on those. We have a young dog so no trouble doing 10,000 plus steps a day and yesterday went swimming for the fist time since the first lockdown 18 months ago. Definitely felt it on my shoulders ! So tomorrow is my first fast day …am all prepared…and feeling positive!

Day 3 USA – OMAD

Have leftovers to finish up so won’t exactly be not many calories, but need to control myself today!

Onward and downward.

Day 3 – UK – TDEE

Busy but lovely day

Morning walk with the usual gang exploring a new hike followed by coffee and catch up.

Back home, watched some of the cricket between England and India whilst baking for tomorrow’s craft fair fundraiser cafe at our local parish centre – my contributions are a Nigella Lawson’s gluten-free banana and dark chocolate bread and The Boho Baker’s Chocolate Orange Loaf Cake

Apart from a lick of the chocolate icing I was very good and managed to come in just under TDEE for the day so a good week so far! Now to ensure that the weekend is not an over indulgent one……..

Volunteering at the cafe tomorrow for an early morning session to set it up and the first hour or so and will do a session later in the day if required

Wishing a good weekend to all 🤗

Day 3 Minnesota FD

Late check-in: today was a FD that was planned to be under 500 but ended up just under 800. For some reason my DH left a jar of peanut butter in my pantry (he usually takes it down to the family room cabinets). It called to me. It is so high in calories! One tablespoon is 190 calories (not to mention a heaping TBS). I will have to have a couple controlled days and then next FD will be the day after our Labor Day cookout. ….So next FD on Tuesday.

I hope everyone is doing well. I will catch up tomorrow.
    Have a good weekend!

Day 4 AUS FD800

Spring is definitely is the air in these parts, making outdoor exercise and healthy eating a bit easier and more appealing! Yesterday I had a salad of cucumber, tomato, spring onions and avocado, with parsley and mint from our garden, dressed with a little caramelised balsamic and a sprinkle of toasted seeds. So yum. And super low calorie if the portion of avocado and seeds are controlled. Salads and soups save me on FDs.

Today a nice hike is planned, and then maybe some strength training as I’m trying to build strength and tone muscles this month.

Tonight we are going out to see live music! Exciting! But I have forgotten how to do late nights.

@stitchincarol, I think a lot of Aussies, on the east coast especially, are feeling a bit quiet and despondent at the moment. Half the country is very locked down. We’re not, but know that could change any second, and most of our families are doing it taught at the moment. It’s really thrown me off course in the last few months, and the pandemic pounds have been creeping back. Determined to change that this month!

Day 4 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

Day 1 of fundraiser was hectic, setting up took all morning, but once under way all went well. Steady all afternoon and geared up ready for a full day today and NO setting up to do 😉

It’s amazing how much I did yesterday, an easy FD, hardly any time to eat, but certainly drank plenty of water! Managed over 15k steps on the fitbit, never still!

Take care all

Day 4 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@caoimhe – that’s all you do! Just type the username, e.g. caoimhe, but put the ‘@’ symbol first. @caoimhe I hope your first fast day is an easy one.

@stitchincarol – I don’t have the app anymore; but I think the macro-nutrients assigned to you by the app are determined by what kind of low-carb diet you want to follow. I think they ask you; keto? LCHF? Carnivore? Zone? High-protein Keto? I opted for low-carb/high fat, & got a ratio of around 12% carbs, 25% protein & 63% fat. It all just seemed to work out when I entered what I was eating. The app does take a while to get used to. I didn’t lose much weight; but I just kind of got bored with it quickly, & felt my choices were very limited, especially when eating out. I didn’t find it difficult to stick to 50 g of carbs per day though, & I never felt hungry.
    https://help.carbmanager.com/docs/diet-options-for-macronutrient-goals#LowCarbHighFat

An interesting article re what achieving just 7000 steps per day can do for you…
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9956187/Walking-just-7-000-steps-day-middle-age-cut-risk-early-death-70-study-says.html

And one from Dr Michael Mosley re exercise & the brain, etc:-
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-9956267/DR-MICHAEL-MOSLEY-Exercise-help-brain-shape.html

Have a good weekend! ⛅️🌈

Pocket List – Day 4 🍓
    @litprof

Day 4 OMAD London

@funshipfreddie – thanks for the links. I try to read them all. Very interesting, especially about the calories burnt off, or not, during exercise. Our bodies are so complex, and so clever.

Happy weekend all.

Day 4 – Canada 🇨🇦 – NFD

I’ve had a couple of very high calorie days but back on board today. It’s a gorgeous sunny day here, perfect for tennis and a hike. Thanks for the links @funshipfreddie. Take care all.

Day 4 Melb Aust NFD

Hi all, persevering through September, and really watching what I eat, which has been a change from the past few months. Actually (sob, sob!) threw out some lollies (candy for the Americans among us) and some M & Ms. That means I’m REALLY serious about changing.

@stitchincarol, don’t know about @penz, but I’m intentionally starting again with this WOL this month. The past few months I just noted my presence on the monthly forum, and then disappeared for the rest of the month, which I’m determined not to do this month.

Quick intro – 71-yr-old retired ESL teacher, single, household ruled by ginger tabby Wilbur. I lost a lot of weight with IF in 2019, regained most of it early 2020, then lost it again, which was great, then from mid-2020 sadly watched myself eating it all back on again, so I’m back where I started. However, this is where I say “stop”. It’s good that this forum exists, and (provided I log on regularly) will help keep me accountable.

So, stay safe, stay well, and keep on the downward trail!

Day 4 Canada NFD
    Out the door early for work soon so a quick check in. Happy Saturday everyone 😊

Day 4 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 224 lbs. I did have a naughty Captain D’s fish and chips meal with a soft drink last night, but I’m being careful about snacking, overindulging, and empty calories. When I eat, for the most part, I want those calories to be meaningful. If I have carbs, I want fiber or maybe a little vinegar to control the body’s reaction. I’m thinking about the concepts from Fung, while making the 5:2 primary. So, I’m careful about carbs, and really staying away from the empty calorie things such as chips, candy, soft drinks, etc., and opting instead for more water, popcorn, and fruit. Trying to get rid of the idea of snacking altogether, and make meals filling and satisfying. Decided not to do breakfast this morning because I’m not hungry, and if one isn’t hungry, one really shouldn’t eat.

Last week, I went to a really unpleasant place with co-workers that served quiche and chicken salad for lunch with no soft drinks available, and cost was nearly double what I expected. LOL, ok, it was actually very delicious and good for me. I mean — a bacon quiche washed down with water. I assumed I’d want something else later, but 30 minutes after that, I felt satisfied. That’s the key — I can eat certain foods to feel satisfied that are lower in calories and have fewer sugars in them. I just have to start practicing that. And maybe that means making my own omelets and quiches for lunch (yeah, sorry, still hating on the place haha)

This week will be a little off, since we have the Labor Day holiday in the U.S., and I’m sure hamburgers/hot dogs will be the fare. But I have a photo of my younger days in 1994 on my refrigerator with the words “Be 1994” on it, teasing me with a 30 inch waistline. Time to go beyond motivation and resolution and move into daily practice.

Day 4 – Rural Nebraska, USA – ??

I was planning on a low calorie day today, and probably skipping any wine (MAN, I miss my beer and I’ve never thought I snacked much if at all, but the temptation to do so has been requiring generous doses of resolve!). But. Yesterday was a full-food today, it was HFLC (high fat low carb, @caoimhe), it was not skimpy quantities, and this morning I was down another 2/10 of a pound. And that’s after yesterday morning (after Thursday’s FD) being the lowest weight I’ve been since Easter. So is there any need to control my calories? Clearly not. (At least, I think it’s clear.)

Here’s what has me going in circles: is HFLC sufficient? Or do I need to do long fasts as well? Or would ADF (alternate day fasting, @caoimhe) be just as effective?

The problem here–although it sure doesn’t feel like a problem!–is that I tried multiple things all at once, so I don’t know what I need to be sure to continue to continue this steady weight loss. But I’m sure beyond thrilled to see the pounds dropping off pieces by pieces even while eating “normally” on NFDs (non-fast days).

The thing about Dr. Jason Fung’s book that most caught my attention is that each of us has a weight set-point, and we can lose weight, but we’ll likely gain it all back, unless our set-point gets adjusted to a new low. The way to do that, he said, is by WHEN you eat, preferably by long fasts, or by ADF. So I’m hoping that this non-carb life together with fasting on M and Th is sufficient to lose the weight and keep it off by lowering my set-point.

And I think I just figured out the answer: time will tell, right? Okay, I can live with that.

Sorry for going on and on and on, but not only am I excited, but I thought others might benefit from the details.

@caoimhe The way you do names in purple (which is a link–click on any name and you can find out all sorts of information about that person) is simply to type the @ sign and follow it with their name. But when someone has spaces in their name (for example Emma Taylor or I Hate Lettuce), not only do capital letters never show up, whether you type them or not, but you have to fill those spaces with a dash, like this: emma-taylor and i-hate-lettuce. Notice those aren’t links. Now they are: @emma-taylor and @i-hate-lettuce And if they AREN’T links, that means you have a typo in them.

@at Wow, only a lick of frosting while baking is SERIOUS resolve! Well done!

@northerndawn Yeah, the siren song of a jar of peanut butter is nearly impossible to resist!

@litprof Yeah, being locked down again after this very long time dealing with Covid has to be a huge burden.

@funshipfreddie “I think they ask you; keto? LCHF? Carnivore? Zone? High-protein Keto?” That’s just it, I don’t think they did. They asked my goals (to lose weight, to gain muscle, to maintain, to sleep better, and more) and then gave me my numbers. I’ll follow that other link in a moment and see what I can find there. And thanks for the other links as well!

@betsylee Welcome back (again 🥰)! It sounds like your resolve is strong enough that you really will log in daily this month, and we look forward to it!

I have a busy day today with a long to-do list, but all reasonably pleasant (food prep for tomorrow’s brunch for 11 of us, fall decorations out [maybe…should I wait until after Labor Day? 🤔], my usual church stuff, a run to the store for things I forgot to buy yesterday 🤦‍♀️, etc.) so I’d best get started.

Have a grand day, everyone!

Day 4 – UK – TDEE (OMAD)

Hi all, it’s a fairly brief one from me today – weekends are always trickier! I’ve had a mouth ulcer appear over the past couple of days… it’s been a while since I’ve had one but I’ve been feeling a bit stressed recently which is always the thing that makes these appear. It’s one of those ones that’s right at the back & side of your tongue which makes it painful to eat, drink, talk etc so in a way it’s a blessing!

I nipped out for a coffee this morning and have just been sipping away at water since, so it bodes well for the calorie intake if nothing else!! It looks likely to be a OMAD at least and it might even end up being an accidental FD at this rate!

I’m also having to work all weekend now too, so hopefully enough distractions from EFS.

@betsylee – it’s lovely to have you back 🙂

Have a good’un, all!

Day 4 USA – NFD

Good CD yesterday, just leftovers from recent carry outs for one meal. Yes, it included one piece of pizza, some onion rings, but also a nice salad. I figured about 700 calories – the scale was happy this morning back to my maintenance “set point” as @stitchincarol tells us is what my number is.

Saturday! College 🏈 today! Yeah!

@betsylee – great to see you back! Yes, it takes work, determination, and good planning to do this WOL. This forum IMHO is the best way to stay with it!

@funshipfreddie – you always proved wonderful information in your links. Gonna go look at them after this post.

@litprof – yeah your spring has sprung! “Pandemic pounds” indeed. They were ever so hard to avoid. HOpefully Aussies will find a way to open back up again.

@northerndawn – but isn’t peanut butter a quick way to grab some protein? Why must it have so many calories…. I understand.

@caoimhe – thank you for the pronunciation. I continue to be educated about things Irish and Welsh as to pronunciation. My WordADay email is helpful for that too. Cwm gets used often in WordsWithFriends and finally I “heard” its pronunciation. Yesterday was a word “sidhe” pronounced “shee” (meaning fairy) as in banshee (the shee part) but hardly spelled that way. I love languages.

@basyjames – so glad you got to enjoy a birthday dinner with DH. You know that indulgence is just a minor setback.

Onward and downward.

Day 4 UK FD
    First FD over and am feeling smug!! I drank lots of fizzy water with a splash of apple cider vinegar and the whole day was not too bad at all. Hardest part was when DH (please note am getting used to abbreviations LOL!) had a toasted tea cake mid afternoon and it just smelt so good – I would have just loved one.
    @stitchincarol
    @funshipfreddie Thank you both for how to do the purple name bit. Hope I am getting this right!

third post

@caoimhe You’ve got the linking process down!

Day 5 AUS FD800

Welcome @caoimhe! So much useful advice on these boards

@funshipfreddie, thanks for all those links about keto and HFLC eating. I’m new to IF and not we’ll informed about recent nutritional information, so find it really helpful.

Hope everyone has nice Sunday plans. Last night was a late and loud night out for us (in a crowded – and masked! – bar, for live music) and tonight is a sunset art-and-music boat cruise around the harbour and river, so it will be a quiet day here!

Yesterday’s FD came in a wee bit over 800, and planning another today. At the moment I’m measuring myself rather than weighing myself, because I suspect the number on the scale will produce self-recrimination. I’m trying to be a supportive coach for myself, not a severe critic. It takes some practice!

Day 4 Minnesota NFD

It’s a bit after 9 pm here and I’m very tired so I will be brief. It turned into a lovely day for yard work and gardening, and that kept me from snacking or craving carbs. I think I’m well below TDEE which will give me a bit of room for extras at the family cookout tomorrow.

Stay strong and determined, and have a good Sunday!

Day 5 Melb Aust CD

I’m aiming for a CD day today, easing myself gently into FDs again, but to have a CD on a weekend day (where I often eat ALL the wrong things) is quite an achievement in itself.

Yes, it’s good to be back here, though. The accountability, as @songbirdme noted, is definitely beneficial.

@northgeorgia, ah, quiche. What I do if I eat quiche is to have a large slice, but mainly just eat the filling and leave the pastry. Sounds like what you had was enough to fill you up. And, it tasted good, despite the ambience of the eating place.

@babs_b, thanks for the welcome back. Ouch to mouth ulcers. Hope it heals up quickly.

@stitchincarol, yes, resolve so far unshaken. Long may it continue! 🙂

Interesting comments re Dr Jason Fung’s book, The Obesity Code. On my first read through, I think I decided that for me Dr M’s books were more helpful. Maybe I’ll have to fish it out again and re-read it.

As I’m a long way ahead timewise – welcome to Sunday everyone, and have a great day!

Day 5 – Lake district UK – NFD

Good morning everyone

What an excellent successful day yesterday, last day of Mrs IHL’s fundraiser today, roll on 5pm (ish) when we should be home and packing bags for a R&R week away.
    Well worth the effort, although the aching body is saying ‘you’re getting a bit old for this lark’ everyone is having fun and as always the local community is pulling together.
    Amazing how the steps mount up, 15k the first day, 12k yesterday, plus throwing tables and chairs around and being the team ‘Gofer’ is as good as any gym.
    Plus ….. I get cake and these ladies are excellent bakers 😉

Take care all

Day 5 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@caoimhe – you nailed it! Hide that toaster on FDs! 😅

@songbirdme – I’m a big Words with Friends fan. If you ever want to challenge me, my username is Davidjohnh. https://words2.page.link/acMf

See you on the Pocket List tomorrow.

Happy S🌞nday!

Day 5 – UK – CD
    Day 4 – NFD

Sorry I didn’t post yesterday but had a very busy day helping out at the Craft Fair cafe at our Parish Centre – got in at 0830 to set up the kitchen and cafe – so many lovely cakes then arrived from our fabulous bakers ☺️ the bacon/fried egg rolls were popular for the first half of the day and cakes all day long………..We had lots of stalls from your talented local crafters and a steady footfall though the day made it a very enjoyable day for the volunteers too!

Was glad to get home for a reviving hot shower and put my feet up with a chilled glass of white burgundy before enjoying a lovely seafood dinner thanks to Rick Stein 😋

A Rest & Restore Yoga Workshop to look forward to this afternoon – some gentle movements – breathing practices – bolster hugging restorative poses and long holds and some Yoga Nidra to finish – BLISS 🙏

Planning on making today a CD with a FD to follow tomorrow 🤞

A lovely weekend all in all – hope everyone is having a good one too 🤗

Day 5 – Canada 🇨🇦 – NFD

Good morning. Planning for a FD tomorrow. Beautiful chilly morning, perfect for a hike. Take care all.

@litprof – such a good idea to be a supportive coach, I often try to think what would I say to a good friend 😊

Day 5 UK NFD

Join you all on the list tomorrow 😀

@stitchincarol I flirted with low carbs last year , I had to go 7 days under 40g carbs before getting into ketosis , once in anything over 50g in a day Id be out and it would take 1-3 days to get back in . It was good for weight loss but for me just too restrictive- no bread or beer was the deal breaker , but good to try , interested to see how you do with it

Day 5 – Rural Nebraska, USA – CD
    The scales were up a bit this morning, so I clearly can’t eat EVERYTHING I want, LOL! Today we go to some friends’ lake house, so I’ll have to pay close attention to the temptation and use my RESOLVE. I’m making three things to take, all keto-friendly, and they’ll have some lovely smoked or grilled meat, so as long as I swerve the beer, I’ll be good.

@brightonbelle Thank you so much for telling me of your experiences. Today is day 6, and I’m still not in ketosis, despite my hope where that headache was concerned. For now, I’ll tough it out…for now. 😜

Must head out to church; I chose some tough music yesterday when I was practicing, and those pieces need more practicing before I play in one hour! Have a good one, everyone!

Day 5 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 223 lbs. And I did not behave well yesterday, so I’m sure my “sins” will appear on the scales in the next couple of days. Still, I wasn’t off the chain with my eating, just not so disciplined. Today is probably the day we’ll celebrate with a cookout (“barbecue” for some English speakers), so no need to try to fast today. I probably will tomorrow, though.

Yes, I did have a few slices of pizza, yes, a couple of soft drinks, yes, a serving of pizza rolls, yes, a cookie and a piece of chocolate candy, yes to pita bread, yes to snacking. I also had cheese, eggs, nuts, fruit, oats, salad, and water. But no, I wasn’t “good.” Still, I did work on making choices: maybe nuts are a better snack than Doritos. Maybe an apple is a better snack than jellybeans. Maybe eating some pita bread in hummus is better than opening some frozen snack treat. And maybe water is better than sugary drinks.

Instead of going all in to a ketogenic, HFLC diet, I just want to continue the 5:2 and incorporate some of Fung’s basic principles. I know the HFLC may be ideal, but I know I’ll never stick to it. However, eating more HFLC and less sugar and processed stuff is certainly doable. Here’s a little self-review for me:

1. Stop snacking! One of Fung’s principles is that it’s not what we eat so much as when we eat. Intermittent fasting is recommended; done! In a video I watched last night, he stated that before the late 70s, most of us stuck to three meals a day instead of grazing all day. And that was in the time of white bread, processed meat, whole milk, and full fat cheese. And yet, there was no obesity epidemic. Now we graze constantly.

2. Keep busy. Exercise, but even if we don’t, move around and do something. I know I still get tempted to munch when I watch something on the streaming services. I need to disassociate TV with food. Easier said than done. Maybe the real answer is, “do something rather than watch TV!”

3. Limit the variety of junk food. This is a new one for me. You know, it is funny that junk food comes packaged in a variety of ways with slightly different flavor combinations but after eating it, that initial flavor rush is nice, but then quickly dies down and isn’t so satisfying. I have a bag of pizza rolls that used to be my weakness. They’ve changed the recipe recently, leaving some garlic/onion seasoning out of the crust. That lack of dusting of flavoring has me ready to give those away. Yuck. But if a little seasoning is the secret of what makes junk tastes so good, maybe that’s the key to making quality taste better. I already use some spice. Maybe it’s time to try some other combinations.

4. Cut out added sugar. It’s everywhere, but some places are more obvious than others. Candy and soft drinks, for example. Easier to avoid. Salad dressings, sauces, bread — what are you doing in there? But we can make a choice to eat less of it anyway.

5. Eat only when hungry. Working on this one. Got good at it, but never fully adopted it. Now, drifting a bit. If I don’t really have a craving for breakfast, skip it. I think for the evening, it’ll work differently. Eat because I’m hungry (but it’s also habit). Then wait — sip on water for 15 minutes or so. Still hungry, or was that enough food? I think I’m still shoveling it in before my stomach and brain can communicate fullness.

6. Reduce over-processed foods. These are easier to digest and be absorbed into the bloodstream, which may help cause unwanted insulin and other hormonal responses for fat storage.

7. Include fiber and vinegar-based foods. These may help regulate insulin and other hormones to slow the fat storage process.

OK, spelling it out openly will help me stay more accountable. @betsylee I think I’m going to look for a good quiche recipe and make one today. Could be a good NFD lunch this week!

Day 5 Canada CD

Had a lovely dinner last night, buccatini carbonara. Delicious but high in calories so will be eating carefully today.

@northgeorgia you have done a thorough look at what you need to do to reach your goals. This group will all be cheering you on
    @stitchincarol hope those challenging pieces of music went smoothly
    @at sounds like a great day filled with lots of good things, you deserved that glass of wine
    @i-hate-lettuce that’s lots of steps!
    @caoimhe well done, it is a great feeling when a FD goes well isn’t it
    @babs_b i picked my tomatoes in 30 mins, I have no idea how the farm goes such a crop

Off for a walk and have a yoga practice lined up for later. The last of the tomatoes need to be dealt with so a good day ahead. Enjoy your Sunday

Day 5 USA – NFD

Not the best but not the worst day yesterday. Except that my ILLINI football team couldn’t eke out a win. Oh well. Had to fix a meal I was hungry for to eat during the football game – meat nachos and a light beer. Oh well – had not eaten much else all day, but there certainly was a substantial amount of salt in that. Going to do better today.

@northgeorgia – what a terrific list of goals that are good for all of us!

Onward and downward.

– 2nd post

Made some very tasty ratatoille with some Farmers’ Market veggies I got the other day. Turned out quite delish for supper (my one meal) that we had along with a Salisbury Steak, gravy & rice. I kind of doctored the eggplant recipe some to add mushrooms and no zucchini this dime. And of course, it required some grated Italian cheese on top. DH even like it, one who isn’t crazy about non-traditional vegetables!

Day 6 – UK – FD (I WILL do it!!)

Hi all, I hope everyone had a lovely weekend! I have lots of things to prep for this morning work-wise, so will hopefully jump back on later to have a proper catch up. However, I’ve just walked in to the office listening to the radio and the theme of the radio show was all about fresh starts – most of the schools in England are back today, there were lots of listeners calling in saying they were starting new jobs today too, so that was a nice feeling.

I’ve been working all weekend and that mouth ulcer has disrupted the eating somewhat so I’ve not been on top of tracking what I’ve eaten.

@northgeorgia – that’s a brilliant list, I’ll be reading that a few times over & putting it into practice too.

Have a brilliant Monday – first day of a new week! Happy Labor Day to all in the US 🇺🇸

Pocket list for Monday ⭐️
    @babs_b

Day 6 UK NFD
    Yesterday went well and the weather was beautiful – maybe we will get an Indian Summer. Ate sensibly yesterday on my NFD. We have decided to take off today and make our way to the New Forest with our little Caravan. Just going for the week but I know I will struggle as I always have foodie treats whilst away. I don’t know if I will fit in another FD but will try. However am keeping a food dairy which will help me keep on track and will log in here.
    @northgeorgia great list and several there for me too.
    @funshipfreddie unfortunately the caravan has a toaster so no reprieve there!
    Happy Monday everyone – have a great week

Day 6 – Lake District UK – FD

Good morning everyone

A highly successful weekend, the fundraiser exceeded expectations, all those volunteers had a really good time and the cancer charity will be on the receiving end of a good sum of money, result all round.

Both Mrs IHL and I slept like logs last night and now ready to head off for a few days wandering southern Scotland. The step count over the weekend was quite impressive, didn’t overdose on cake and remembered to drink loads of water!

Should be an easy FD today, not a long drive for us from here, will try and ‘pop in’ to update will try for a FD on Thursday as usual, but Hazels breakfasts will probably be far too tempting. Good job the inner Warthog has left, think I’d starved him out in the end!

Take care all

Pocket list day 6
    @babs_b
    @i-hate-lettuce

Day 6 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

I am starting a Monday morning two pounds lower than last Monday and feeling hopeful that my new plant-based regime (80% of the week) to try to limit the oestrogen loaded foods from my diet will help me FINALLY lose weight. The lightbulb moment has happened so I am cutting back/eliminating dairy, eggs, chicken, until I have cleansed my liver of oestrogen. Fingers crossed the plateau will disappear in the rear view mirror.

Now, update on the Grand Reunion…my DH is a very happy man. He said it was perfect, the best day of his life. He said once he put his arms around his mum, hugged her and smelt her hair he felt this tug of his heart and he just KNEW that she was his mum.

Lots of tears and emotions. He met his sister and brother too. Fantastic times. ☺️ The photos of the day…they all look alike, they all have that beautiful big smile that was the first thing I noticed about DH when I met him.

@stitchincarol, No, I wasn’t sad that I wasn’t going with him, this was something that he needed to do alone, initially he wanted me to be there but as the weeks came closer he felt he could do this on his own. His mum is coming over to Ireland in October and I will meet her then. Good times ☺️

Have a great FD all you fasting today.
    Pocket list Day 6
    @daffodil2010

Day 6 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

@stitchincarol – I meant to say, when I was dabbling in HFLC I never actually tested for ketones, so I can’t say for sure whether I achieved ketosis or not.

@daffodil2010 – sounds like your DH’s weekend couldn’t have gone any better?! I got goosebumps when you described him hugging his mum for the first time 🤗

@songbirdme – my new WWF pal; it’s your go, & you’re kicking my butt 😅

Happy Labor Day to our American fasters!

Pocket list for Monday ⭐️ Day 6
    @babs_b
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie

Day 6 UK FD

Plan for this week FDs mon & wed – then long weekend away for family wedding and then plan to really get down to it and see some lbs shifted 💪

@babs_b
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle

Day 6 – Canada 🇨🇦 – FD

Good morning. Thanks @northgeorgia for your interesting post. I’m currently re-reading Life in the Fasting Lane that’s partly written by Dr Fung. Very informative and it renews my commitment to this WOL.

Good luck to all the fasters today!

@babs_b
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @dvw

Day 6 – UK – FD800

Unfortunately yesterday was not a CD but a NFD – that was definitely a NFD weekend, well over TDEE🤭 so I’m pressing my RESET button with a plan for a B2B FD800 and a 3rd FD at the end of the week🤞

My regular zoom 45min 7am Broga class – always a tough one that but invigorating!! Live 90min Dynamic Yoga class at 5pm so I should sleep well tonight 🤣

@babs_b – sorry to hear about your mouth ulcer – not pleasant things, hope it’s now started to heal
    @northgeorgia – your goal list is a great reminder for us all
    @i-hate-lettuce – great effort by Mrs IHL and the other village ladies – they are very lucky to have you as their chief helper – now you both can enjoy your Scottish wander
    @daffodil2010 – great job starting this week 2lbs lighter than last week 👏 and so happy that your DH first meeting with his mum and his sister and brother was such a joyful occasion for them all 🤗

@babs_b
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @dvw
    @at

“If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 6 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 223 lbs (close to 222!) — great news because 223 was my post-FD weigh-in both times last week. Today it’s the end result of three holiday period NFDs, along with a resolve in mindfulness based on Fung’s book and the shortlist I created for myself.

I got rid of the pizza rolls and told the kids to keep the chips and dip. I am doing well in reducing soft drink, chips, and candy consumption (you know, where I used to be at year’s start!) I’m also thinking twice before eating something overly processed such as bread, pasta, or crackers. I am eating more eggs, nuts, fruits, vegetables and even butter and dairy (although I know I have to be a bit careful with those).

Even with eating a hotdog, hamburger, and an ice cream cone last night, I was still down about half a pound this morning.

@daffodil2010 What a touching story regarding your DH!

@stitchincarol I admire your HFLC NFDs and know you are going to see big results soon!

@babs_b
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @dvw
    @northgeorgia

Day 6 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD

For several days, I’ve been thinking “But I WILL have a beer on Labor Day. After all, it’s LABOR DAY!!!” Just now, as I typed “FD” and thought about what that was going to mean today, I remembered my plan for a beer–and realized I’m indifferent to it at this point. After all, how is beer going to make this Monday actually better?? That, at least, is what I’m going to remind myself this afternoon when I start craving a beer, LOL. I’m leaving open the possibility that this FD will be more of a FD800 or a bit higher, since it’s a holiday, but it will certainly be OMAD.

Yesterday was shockingly good. I had some of that tater tot breakfast casserole, but not much. Then at our friends’ lake house, I managed to swerve almost all snacks, and those I did have weren’t carb-based. Unfortunately, I was up from 147-point-something on Sunday morning and also still this morning, so I’ve missed my mini-goal of 147-point-anything on Labor Day, but I’m not feeling too disappointed since I was there for four days this past week, and will be again by tomorrow morning.

What I’m struggling with is that I don’t actually know what my precise plan is. I’m aiming for ketosis, but it’s apparently harder to achieve than I knew. For now, whatever I’m doing appears to be working, so I’ll continue my attempt at HFLC, do my regular FD on Monday and Tuesday, with perhaps a few extra calories on Monday since I’ll also do a LFD on Tuesdays, and then I’ll reassess again next Monday. At least my weight is doing the right thing: I’m down 9lbs since the 4th of July. 👍

@northgeorgia I remember Fung talking about the benefits of skipping breakfast. Since I’ve done that for 40+ years, I didn’t pay much attention, but I think he was saying it can be highly helpful since it adds to your fasting hours. Is that something you would consider doing always? Chapters 4 and 19 have the most about breakfast in them, so perhaps they’d be worth reading again to help you in your consideration.

@daffodil2010 What a perfect report you had for us, that not only you’re 2lbs lower than last Monday, but that DH and his mum had a perfect day. I’m totally thrilled for you both, and extra delighted that she’s coming to Ireland in October!

@babs_b
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @dvw
    @northgeorgia

2nd Post – Day 6

@stitchincarol – keeping you honest & putting you on the list! No funny stuff now, just cos it’s Labor Day 😜

@babs_b
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @dvw
    @northgeorgia
    @stitchincarol

Day 6, UK, FD

Well I was IN SHOCK on Saturday morning! I had reached my goal weight!!!!

My initial thinking on this was:

1) Scales were broken as my clothes weren’t telling the same story
    2) Some weird fluke
    3) I had forgotten what my actual goal weight was (this kind of turned out to be true!)

However, I slowly realised that although I only did 2XFDs last week, I had in fact skipped dinner twice and this must have been what made the difference.

Anyway, I have now checked and my REAL goal weight means that I actually have two more pounds to lose. [I decided a while back that my old goal weight left me no room for manoeuvre – if I put on three pounds then my clothes start feeling tight again.

However this chance encounter with my (old)goal weight has filled me with renewed enthusiasm!

Especially for skipping dinner as a weight loss strategy……

Today’s fast day is a super-easy one due to eating absolutely loads at the weekend!

HAPPY LABOR DAY to all those in the US! Five years ago today I was on the beach in Delaware… happy days.

@stitchincarol – well done, that is a fantastic weight loss!

@northgeorgia – great list! I would add to this that when we snack, it keeps our insulin levels on high. When we have high insulin, every morsel of carbs that we eat goes STRAIGHT to our belly fat reserves (or wherever you put your weight on) and helps us gain even more weight!!! EEEEEKKKK…Knowing this fact really helps me to stay on the straight & narrow!

@babs_b
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @dvw
    @northgeorgia
    @at
    @high5

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 428 total)

You must be logged in to reply.