Fresh start September 2021 challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Fresh start September 2021 challenge

This topic contains 406 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  jaifaim 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 428 total)

• SECOND POST

LOL, @funshipfreddie, thanks for catching my omission and keeping me on the straight and narrow!

@high5 CONGRATULATIONS on hitting your (former) goal weight!!! Two additional pounds to get to your revised goal weight won’t take you any time at all, and your renewed enthusiasm will be a big part of getting you there!

Pocket list for Monday ⭐️ Day 6
    @babs_b
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie
    @brightonbelle
    @dvw
    @northgeorgia
    @at
    @stitchincarol
    @high5

Day 6 USA – CD

Happy Labor Day, fellow Americans 🇺🇸 – even those of us who are retired are happy to celebrate.

@funshipfreddie – you are a very formidable WWF opponent! I’ve been playing longer, and perhaps will know more words to use? Perhaps…. Anyway, it will be fun.

@stitchincarol – you are doing wonderfully getting at a new regimen. Yeah for you!

@high5 – Congratulations on reaching your goal weight! 🎉🥂 You are in a great place.

Onward and downward.

Day 6 Canada NFD

Not too much damage done over the weekend leaves me in good shape for a FD tomorrow:)

@daffodl2010 so lovely to read about your DH’s reunion with his mum, can’t imagine how emotional it must have been for everyone
    @stitchincarol I am a bit indifferent to wine at the moment so know how you feel, it does help with the weight loss
    @high5 congrats!!!

Happy Labor Day!

Day 7 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

What glorious weather we are having at the moment. An Indian summer? It would be great if it stayed around fir the next few weeks as we are off in our camper the last two weeks of this month….but this is Ireland so it may well be back to soft rain.

Got my blood results and thankfully I don’t have under active thyroid (which I recently found out two of my brothers have so its in the family), and other hormone tests fine, but I do have elevated Uric acid so it’s gout in my heel 😱😱😱. It’s one of the most painful things I have ever experienced but it’s still sort of a joke diagnosis I feel….it’s like a self-inflicted thing…..but except for my wine at the weekends (mostly) my diet is not full of rich foods. 😨 Oh well

Anyway, at least the ibuprofen has hugely impacted the pain and it’s a shadow of its former self.

Thanks everyone for your kind words re DH….he is so happy, lots of texts and WhatsApp messages going between him and his new family….everyone of them felt something special after that first meeting. ☺️

Have a great Tuesday.

Pocket list Day 7
    @daffodil2010

Day 7 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

I must’ve finally done something right over the weekend; weight slightly down from the start of the month. I’ll be happy just to maintain this month.

@high5 – well done! 🥇

@daffodil2010 – Another FD?! You’re on a mission! 💪

The spring rain is finally here; it’s pouring! But I’m dreaming of avo & poached eggs on toast, & it’s so much nicer when someone else makes it; so I’m going to venture out for lunch ☔️

Day 7 OMAD London

@daffodil2010 – well, at least you know what it is and what it isn’t, so I guess that’s progress. Can you do anything about your uric acid levels? Perhaps naively, I always think anything can be sorted out by altering our diet.
    And your news about your DH was so good. You never know what’s round the corner. He must know a lot of ‘strangers’ are rooting for him. We wish him the very best.
    As the weather is so good, (Indian summer at last…) we are off to Hampton pool for a swim. We went yesterday, it was pandemonium. The state schools are back, but the posh ones, not so much. Anyway, it was still lovely, so we’ll go today and tomorrow, and then the weather breaks, I think.
    Happy Tuesday all.

Day 7 – UK – NFD

@caoimhe – it definitely looks like the Indian summer has arrived here! It’s a real shock to the system, but it’s lovely to have some sun after the week of thick cloud cover last week!

@i-hate-lettuce – brilliant news that the fundraiser was a success! That’ll put a spring in the step for the Scottish walking break I’m sure.

@daffodil2010 – it’s so lovely to hear the reunion between DH and his family went so well. I can’t imagine what it must’ve felt like when he hugged his mum for the first time, it brings tears to my eyes just thinking of it. So powerful. Also, good news on the thyroid function but not so great with the gout diagnosis. As @emma-taylor said, at least you know what you’re dealing with now, and great that the painkillers have helped it settle a bit.

@brightonbelle – I’m with you on the Mon & Weds FDs this week. Lovely you have a wedding to look forward to! It’s been a few years since we last went to one… we were the last couple out of our wider friendship circle and families to get married! I love a wedding <3

@at – I had a big NFD at the weekend too, so right there with you! I thought of you last night when I psychologically closed the kitchen once again!!

@dvw – You’ll have to let us know how the book goes

@northgeorgia – great news on the loss!

@stitchincarol – it definitely sounds like 147 is becoming the new ‘set point’, even if it didn’t show on the scales for Labor Day. I hope you had a good one nonetheless!

@high5 – HUGE congratulation for getting to goal weight!!!! 🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

@bellyblast – great work on a good weekend of eating

@funshipfreddie – brilliant news that the weight was down a bit!

@emma_taylor – enjoy that weather out there! It’s looking beautiful today ☀️

Yesterday was quite a busy one with work, but all the meetings etc meant I only ate an apple during the day. Then my DH ended up going out for a few hours last night meaning dinner plans went out the window, which was a blessing in disguise because I ended up having a M&S ‘balanced for you’ meal. I am not a fan of convenience food and know it’s really not great for us, but it was quite nice just popping that little tray of salmon & veg in the microwave and knowing I was consuming 316 calories. I did end up having a couple of bites of the chicken DH had cooked up when he got back later but I still would’ve come in around 500cals. In my head I go for 500cals but if I land anywhere between 500 and 800cals I still tell myself it’s ok…. So I’m marking yesterday down as a success.

Have a great Tuesday 🙂

Pocket list Day 7
    @daffodil2010

Day 7 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 221 lbs (number last seen two weeks ago).

@stitchincarol I thought about what you said, and I put away my bowl for oatmeal this morning and packed my banana in my bag for a more filling lunch. I have to leave the office to go out to one of the sites about 45 minutes away afterwards, so a nice lunch is more important than breakfast today. I had to really ask myself if I was hungry or not this morning. The answer was, “not really,” so I’m using that as a gauge of whether or not to do ZBC each NFD. Most days, I’m not really hungry. But there may be some mornings where the answer is “yes,” so I’ll see how it goes this week. I remember I was in the permanent ZBC before and it was helpful for a while, then the effect wore off. I’m not sure if I was overcompensating elsewhere or not. With Fung’s approach, now I realize it may not be total calories but the type of calories. So, I’m dipping my toes back in the water cautiously!

Day 7 – Canada 🇨🇦 – NFD

Gorgeous sunny cool morning here, perfect for a hike. I’m trying a different fasting regimen – 20 hour fast – 4 hour eating window, essentially OMAD – we’ll see how it goes. Take care all.

@stitchincarol – Wow!! 9 lbs since July, well done. 💐
    @high5 – what a treat to reach your goal! Congratulations 👏
    @funshipfreddie – maintaining this week, congrats to you too 🥳 enjoy your breakfast, sounds delicious.

Day 7, Melb Aust, CD?

Not sure any more of the definition of a CD – if 1200 calories, then I’ve missed it today, but if at least 200 cals below my current NFD maintenance level, then the past 2 days have been FDs, today better even than yesterday. Seems I’m getting back into the swing of feeling slightly hungry again. It actually feels good.

@northgeorgia, Did you make your own quiche? Good that you’re establishing more control over the snacks. I’m also restricting evening snacks, and that’s having a positive effect on my weight. I think by Saturday I’ll have lost a kilo, which is pleasing.
    I did try OMAD intermittent fasting later last year, and I think it’s what sent me off track, possibly too severe for me. In general, I do skip breakfast but have an early lunch, maybe around 11 a.m.-midday, then dinner about 6 p.m. If I can then avoid eating much thereafter, I’m not eating for about 14-15 hours each day, and for me, that’s good enough.

@daffodil2010, great that DH’s meeting with his birth family went so well, and good that the gout pain has reduced. Gout doesn’t necessarily correlate to drinking alcohol; once it’s under control, avoiding acid-containing foods like tomatoes and oranges, among others, can help reduce flare-ups, or so a friend who manages her gout well told me.

Okay, lots of interesting posts. The main thing is – keep on the downward trail!

Day 7 – second post

Here’s a quotation about overconsumption from Dr. Fung:

“Before the 1980s people typically ate 3 times per day, breakfast lunch and dinner. If you were not hungry, then it was perfectly acceptable to skip a meal. By 2004, the number of meals per day had increased closer to six – almost double. Now, snacking was not just an indulgence it was encouraged as a healthy behavior. Meal skipping was heavily frowned upon. What kind of strange world is this, where are you need to eat constantly to lose weight?”

Day 7 – Rural Nebraska, USA – LFD

I haven’t yet done all the thinking and psyching I have to do for resolve to be effective, but I’ll do that later this morning when I’m driving into Omaha for piano lessons so that I follow through on a liquid fast day today. Yesterday’s FD got s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d to include wine and some cheese, crackers, and sardines/smoked trout appetizers. On the other hand, it WAS Labor Day, the traditional day of “special food,” and DH and I HAD worked really hard in the yard, pruning and digging volunteer trees and weeding out sprouted bird seed. It sure looks great back there now, and I don’t regret that lovely al fresco appetizer at all: that’s the “life” part of this WOL.

@bellyblast No beer sure does help with the weight loss…unfortunately, LOL! However, I’ve been noticing that, with so little carb-rich foods, I’m not at all craving carbs, and I’m not even all that sad not to have beer. DH was drinking one yesterday, and I toyed with taking a swallow, just to assuage my longing for it…and I realized I didn’t actually long for it, so skipped it. Pretty amazing for this beer-loving gal!

@daffodil2010 Such a lovely outcome to the meeting…makes me smile with joy just thinking of it. Gout?? Truly? Oh, UGGGH. So how are you supposed to get rid of it?

@funshipfreddie YAY for you to be down to goal weight again! 🥇

@babs_b That’s the best kind of FD, I think, when they happen naturally! Well done!

@northgeorgia I’m beyond delighted and honored that you decided my question was helpful. I was chuckling to myself yesterday morning because, having asked you if skipping breakfast was something you wanted to consider, I was starving all morning! I’m certain it was because I had a few carbs for appetizers the day before, and then had a brownie, and the combined carbs were making my stomach growl and complain all morning long. But I’ve learned over the years that something to drink usually tames the growling, and if I don’t eat until noon, then I eat reasonably all day; if I eat breakfast, then I’m hungrier than usual at lunch, and hungrier yet mid-afternoon and again at dinner. It’ll be interesting to hear what your experience is on the days you choose to skip breakfast.

@dvw There are many of us switching out our usual routines and trying something new; I hope you find yours wonderfully helpful. I used to worry that eating so seldom was going to seriously mess up my metabolism, but based on Dr. Jason Fung’s book, I’ve decided that fear is groundless. And, loved your quote from him; perhaps my favorite is, “If we were meant to graze all day, we’d be cows!” 😂🤣😂🤣

@betsylee Lovely news that your eating is going so well this week!

It’s a gorgeous day here, as well: sunny, tiny breeze, currently 70, with a high of 79/26. Gotta love fall!

Day 7 Canada FD

Had a wonderful long weekend, the Labour Day holiday is one of my favourites. Today is gorgeous, blue sky and crisp air. I’ll get a walk in and some yoga. FD food is planned so I’m all set.

Have a great day!

Day 7 – UK – FD800 B2B

Today would have been my darling mother’s birthday – she sadly passed away in 2014 at 97 and I still miss her just as much today 💔

That evening Dynamic Yoga Class yesterday was a hard one – our teacher said it was going to be a long slow burner one 🤣 and it definitely was……..woke up with stiff legs, shoulders and upper arms today!

A very hot and sunny 😎 day here in the Lake District – I was out for an 8km hike with my regular group this morning and the climb up was a bit of sweaty one 🥵

Hope all our American friends enjoyed celebrating Labor Day 🇺🇸

@high5 – 👏 on hitting your original goal weight!!! those last 2lbs you want to lose will disappear by the end of this challenge – great job!
    @stitchincarol – great work with your new regimen!
    @daffodl2010 – lovely to read about your DH’s reunion with his mum and newly found siblings 🤗 and gout!!! was the cause of your foot pain…..really!!! Some changes with diet may help – avoiding food high in purines?? and if your uric acid levels are high you may need some medication to help lower that – at least you know the cause now and the ibuprofen should reduce the pain

A High Impact Pilates class via zoom planned for 1645 then a lovely shower to cool down before having my OMAD FD800 today a low calorie homemade mushroom lasagna 😋

Pocket list Day 7
    @daffodil2010
    @stitchincarol LFD
    @bellyblast
    @at FD800

@dvw – also loving Dr. Jason Fung’s quote “If we were meant to graze all day, we’d be cows!” 😂

Day 8 AUS FD800

@high5, congrats on reaching your (first) goal weight! Inspiring.

@northgeorgia, woot on getting back down to 221. I really admire your tenacity.

@stitchincarol, thanks so much for sharing all the tweaks to your fasting program and progress. I’m much newer to this and really learn a lot when people share their strategies.

I’m in the middle of 3 B2B FD800s, which work well for me, as I discovered IF only recently, and the FD800 plan was what I first heard about. I think in time I’ll switch to the traditional 5:2 plan with FD500s instead.

Today’s FD will be a salad lunch and roast pumpkin soup dinner, and I need a good workout too.

I have noticed a weird thing with my weight loss though: some weeks my measurements drop nicely (I’ve lost an inch off my waist in a week, for instance), and my weight stays pretty steady; and some weeks the weight drops down after fasting while my measurements stay the same. But they don’t seem to go down at the same time. So strange!

Good luck to all the fasters today.

Day 7, Second Post

I’ve done it. 💪😇😁 It’s ten minutes to nine, and I’ve kept busy all day plus since I got home from teaching piano, and all I want to do is take another drag on my water and go to bed. So, a true liquid fast day.

Plus, I’m going to do my darnedest to make tomorrow OMAD…well, no, considering my schedule, I’ll do TRE and only eat between 3:30 and 6:30–and then I have to go to church for our first choir rehearsal. So what to have for dinner that will feel special and rewarding, but that I can make in the limited time? Hmmm….

Then Thursday is a normal FD, and then we have our small dinner party on Friday; all this fasting I’m doing will appear to be shooting me down in weight really fast for a couple days, but it will actually simply put me in a deficit (thanks, @basyjames, for the term) to compensate for Friday’s dinner!

So off to the feathers I go, a smidge “empty,” but mostly fine and content. I’m liking this full day of teaching lessons in other peoples’ houses so that a LFD is almost required, and certainly reasonably easy!

Day 8 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Feeling good today, and almost like my normal self. I didn’t realise how much I was living with pain until the pain is almost gone…too much of a brave little soldier am I!

Yes @at and @emma-taylor, I was really suprised the diagnosis was gout! But thankfully, the locum GP that I saw last week knew straight away as he also suffers with it in his heel! He told me he tried everything too and told me how much ibuprofen to take and when and the pain would significantly decrease.

I am convinced it’s a fallout from the burst appendix as I only started getting the fir pain three days after coming out of hospital. Now I need to decrease high purine foods from my diet, which I am mostly doing now, that and the preventative meds should work. As you say @betsylee just need to figure out what foods cause a flare up.

Sheesh guys, 2021 seems to be me going on about my health ad nauseum 😨 Hopefully this is it and I can get back to the highs and lows of this WOL and reporting on my wonderful weight loss and successful FD’s 😄

Happy hump day 🐪

Day 8 – UK – FD

@stitchincarol – Brilliant work! How are you feeling this morning? 🌟🌟🌟

@at – birthdays and anniversaries are always really reflective times aren’t they? I hope you had a gentle day yesterday. Good work on the dynamic yoga!

@LilProf – I have been exactly the same with my weight loss & measurements through fasting. My weight loss used to be on about a 1 week delay (and any gains seem to be like that too), so I’d very rarely lose weight and inches in the same week and the weight loss would come the week following a particularly good 5:2 week! In a way it was a blessing because if I felt my weight wasn’t dropping, I’d often see a result on the tape measure. Some weeks neither moved in the direction I wanted either!

@daffodil2010 – that locum GP sounds great. I’m so pleased you’re starting to feel back to normal. Interesting point about the burst appendix…. to my (non-medical) mind, I think there might be something in that theory. Might be an idea to mention it next time you see a doctor.

I had a pretty rubbish night’s sleep last night – these 30 degree September days are not what I was expecting so was quite hot in bed last night! 🥵 Today seems to be the last of them though, thankfully. I love the sun but not the heat so much (typical Brit!). I’m on a FD today and just planning out what I’ll break my fast with at lunch time. Whatever it is, it’ll involve a lot of leaves and be as cold as possible.

Have a great Wednesday all!

Pocket list for Wednesday ☀️
    @babs_b

Day 8 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@dvw – the quote from Jason Fung – so true! Strange as it seems now, we just didn’t snack back then; maybe milk & cookies before bed? And these huge bags of crisps (chips) & sweets/candy you see people plowing through were called ‘family size’ because they were actually meant for more than one person 😅

@northgeorgia – 221! This is the month you’re going to get under 220 💪

@daffodil2010 – good to hear you’re finally getting your foot pain sorted out. I remember my Dad had gout a few years ago & he said it was nasty. He never touched alcohol either, but loved his food; so I’m sure in his case it was diet-related.

Happy Hump Day! 🐫 🐪

Day 8 – second post

@funshipfreddie & @dvw that also reminds me of another quote I heard once (and must try to remember more!) ‘you don’t need to reward yourself with food. You are not a dog’ 😂

Day 8 OMAD London

@daffodil2010. I just remembered that my DH was diagnosed with gout ages ago, but it’s gone now. I just asked him how he got rid of it, and he said he used that concentrated cherry juice, and/or cherry concentrate pills. You see it in Holland and Barratt, or health food shops, or you certainly used to. It’s not cheap, but the world’s greatest sceptic, lying next to me in bed, says that’s what got rid of his gout. Might be worth a try, if you want to swerve painkillers.

And, thanks for reminding me about my grounding sheet. It’s back on, normal sleep has resumed.

OMAD is back on track, and it’s going ok. I’m not sure if I’ll continue, or go back to 5:2. When I did 5:2 I consistently lost around 1lb a week, whereas I think OMAD gives me too much scope for overeating in my eating window.

DAY 8 NFD UK

Just a quick “hello” to everyone. We are on our caravan trip so no WiFi but we are in a little cafe having a coffee so wanted to quickly check in to keep me on track. No FD this week but have done TRE a couple of days which worked well and because the weather has been SO hot had plenty of salads. Steps have been up too which is great. Lovely walks around here (New Forest). Hope everyone has a good day.

Day 8 – Canada 🇨🇦 – FD/OMAD?

Good morning everybody.

Today the scales say 133.2 lbs, just 5.2 until I reach my first goal and 8.2 to reach my second goal 😊. Writing this down to help with my resolve. I nearly bought some coconut cookies yesterday but quickly left the shop. It’s so easy to forget about goals when grocery shopping. Busy day today – tennis, dentist and then a pedicure. Take care all.

@stitchincarol & @funshipfreddie & @babs_b – love those quotes, I have to keep reminding myself that I’m neither a cow nor a dog 😂😂😂.

@emma Taylor- I’m wondering the same thing about OMAD but I think I’ll give it a go for a couple of weeks and see the results.

@babs_b
    @dvw

Day 8 – USA/GA – ???

I see I’m not the only one unsure this morning! I am not planning on today being a FD, but I’m not having breakfast, and I’m packing nothing for lunch, as I have a pretty intense 11 a.m. appointment, then another around 2 p.m. There is technically enough time to eat out if it goes that way.

Weigh-in: 222 lbs.

Day 8 Canada NFD

PFDS here, love this way of life 😊
    One thing I always notice on FD’s is how much I usually snack in the afternoon when I’m not fasting.
    Off to work, have a great day everyone

Day 8 – Rural Nebraska, USA – TRE

I’m so thrilled that my LFD yesterday put me at 146.2 this morning; the last time I was that low was the Thursday after Easter when I was 146.8 (Easter was 144.6). But I’d only had a few seconds to savor the excitement when I got a text from one of the couples coming to my dinner party this Friday saying, oops, her schedule changed, and they can’t come after all.

Who does that??? Did she think it was merely “supper”? I’ve got 3lbs of salmon in the fridge, colossal shrimp in the freezer ready to be thawed, a big bag of plums doing their final ripening on the counter for the Plum Torte…and they can’t come after all???

Gah.

Okay, I’m going to focus on 146.2 and put off thinking about what to do about Friday.

@daffodil2010 Your report sounds good overall, in spite of the gout. At least the ibuprofen is helping, and your pain is almost gone. “Gah” for you, too, huh? Hopefully, the rest of 2021 will be stellar!!!

@babs_b I went to bed feeling “empty” and somewhat hungry, woke up at 1:30 to potty and realized that I was no longer hungry; I’m still no longer hungry and feel great. And your quote is another excellent one! ‘you don’t need to reward yourself with food. You are not a dog’ 😂

@northgeorgia Nice going on the start to an impromptu FD…or perhaps TRE or even OMAD? I’m sending you resolve and strength and peace; with determination, perhaps the scale will give you something gorgeous tomorrow morning??

Okay, off to lick my wounds, so to speak. That news has certainly taken much of the joy out of the morning, replacing it with a racing mind, trying to figure out what to do with the salmon and the plums!

Day 8 Minnesota CD (1000-1100)
    Day 7 FD800
    Day 6 NFD
    Day 5 EFS day (family cook-out)

This is an incredibly busy time for me so I hope it’s okay with everyone if I am absent a couple of days here and there. I am just trying to read all of the posts in the evening, late, and that is such encouragement and inspiration to keep me going for the next day. I am down 2 lbs for the month and feeling optimistic I’ll get rid of at least 2 more this month.

Youngest DGD is arriving soon for me to watch for several hours. It will be special alone time with “grandma” because her big sister has started back to school, and she is feeling a little bit lost and sad without her. Then back out to building planting beds for next spring and putting in a few more fruit bushes, etc.

Stay strong and determined!

Day 8, UK, FD

Thank you very much everyone for all the congratulations!!

I feel like you guys are the only people I can share this success with, so thank you very much to you all!!!

Good news, I weighed myself on Tuesday morning after Monday’s FD and I was still exactly the same weight (ie at my OLD goal weight) so either:
    (1) The scales are broken and stuck on that weight?!!
    (2) It wasn’t a fluke after all?!!

–>

@litprof – Yes I totally agree, given the mystery of how I suddenly hit my (old) goal weight. That thing of the scales and the tape-measure (or in my case, fit of my clothes) not matching up!! I think you’ve identified a big phenomenon there! Thanks!!!

Yesterday I had a terrible NFD! It started badly with me being extremely hungry (after FD) and getting vertigo when crossing a high bridge. I felt so dizzy that I had to grab some cake from the closest available shop to break my fast and to try and sort the dizziness out. So then I had fed the sugar-demon early in the day…… and an EFS ensued, eek!

Anyway, back on the straight-and-narrow today…

@dvw }
    @stitchincarol } What great quotes from Dr Jason Fung! I’d forgotten both of them and the ‘grazing cows’ one made me LOL!

@stitchincarol – OMG I AM IN AWE!!!! Well done!
    So impressed by you guys (I think @at is also part of that gang?) that do LFDs!!!
    I would literally fall on the floor in a heap if I had to do that, RESPECT!!

@caoimhe – Hope you are enjoying The New Forest! If you are an Expresso Coffee fan, then check out Hoxtons in Lymington and The Retreat in Brockenhurst…. both do great takeaway coffees!

@babs_b
    @dvw
    @high5

Day 8 North Canton OH WFD 2 of 5

So, after an over-indulgent weekend, it was time to engage in my final quarterly extended water fast of the year. Day 1 was brutal because I ate too many carbs over the weekend. But thankfully I was able to stick it out. I got really weak, cold and tired halfway through the day and had to take a little catnap, but like @babs_b I woke up from my catnap feeling really refreshed and full of energy. DH noticed, and he said – Ah you got your second wind didn’t you? So true. So now onto day 2; I have my liquids all set out, I am not hungry at all, not tired, no cravings and it is possible that I will get to goal upon completion of this extended fast on Saturday.
    @northerndawn special alone time with grandma is worth its weight in gold
    @stitchincarol so thrilled for your new low! How lovely to see things clicking along for you on the weight loss front. Bummer about your dinner though, Gah I echo!!! Their loss, but I get the feeling! Salmon and shrimp? I would be all in if I lived close…

@daffodil2010 it is amazing how much pain we learn to live with and how it reduces the quality of our lives, here is to a healthier rest of the year for you.

Also loving the quotes guys, we are neither dogs nor cows. Many years ago my 7 year old (at the time) said to me “ You are not a trash can mummy, so stop eating junk!” That stopped me in my tracks at the time. So let me update the list. We are neither cows, dogs nor trash-cans LOL😁🤣 .

Day 8 pocket list
    @babs_b
    @basyjames

second post

@high5 sorry I missed your post. I refreshed my browser to prevent missing posts but I still did. Congratulations on getting to goal!!!!

@babs_b
    @dvw
    @high5
    @basyjames

Day 8 second post

Talk about a day turning on a dime, LOL! I needed a crown on my tooth and have a November appointment, but asked to be put on the cancellation list for a last-minute appointment and got a call at 9:30 this morning to go in. My first thought was, “Cool, that’ll make it really easy not to eat until later!” 😂😂 So I went in for my appointment, they were running a half hour late, and the new dentist took an extra hour, so now it’s two o’clock and I still have had no calories. I was feeling quite smug about that until @basyjames commented she’s on Day 2 of a 5day WF.

😲😲😲😲😲

Actually, @basyjames, I truly can imagine doing that now, but it’s still spectacular! And here’s a practical question for you: how do your DH and daughter cope with a wife/mom who’s not eating; you surely don’t cook for them even so, do you???

My mouth is still numb, so I’m waiting to eat until about five, when we’ll have deviled eggs (I buy the eggs already hard-boiled and peeled and it’s so fast and easy) and some veggies in a sour cream dip. So, not only my first true water fast, but my first 45-hour water fast, and, truly, nowhere near as tough as I’d thought it would be.

And on the dinner party topic, we’ve managed to reschedule for this Sunday, so all will be well. 😅

Day 8 – USA – OMAD

I’m finding too much salt even on a CD is playing with my maintenance. I promise NOT to eat a whole bag of microwave popcorn today. Then there are also cheese curls (Dot’s makes terrific ones, also “her” pretzels are addictive).

@stitchincarol – sounds to me like you have gotten yourself into one of my “found” FD’s whether you planned it or not! Sure hope the crown and dental work isn’t too costly or difficult. And the day is even a water fast. Wow. I like the idea of buying pre-boiled eggs, but I always wonder if they really are very fresh? Suppose they have some sell-by date. Congratulations on your goal weight! 👍🏻 So sorry your dinner party won’t be as complete as you had hoped. Not fun at all.

@high5 – congratulations to you too! Sounds like it was not a fluke or a broken scale. YEAH! 🥂

@northerndawn – have a terrific time with your DGD! We know you are supporting and “with us” even if you don’t get to post all the time.

@daffodil2010 – wow, gout?! Who’d’thunk’it ?? Did I miss something or have they diagnosed this and not plantar fasciitis? I would guess that the orthotics would have helped no matter the reason for the foot pain, huh?

@bellyblast – I am with you in also wanting to snack in the afternoons on NFD’s – even if it is string cheese, an apple, or Heaven forbid pretzels or such? I generally don’t snack on sweet things but find myself craving salty snacks, especially if I am waiting for OMAD dinner.

Onward and downward.

Day 8 – Ireland – NFD

Hi all, me again… back now with resolve! So much to catch up on! I was away over the last week and back to the grindstone now 😂. Good food, good company, great times.♥️
    Good to see so many people here for Fresh Start September – I need a fresh start so great name @babs_b! I also have an indoor tomato plant near my desk! I’ve had 9 tomatoes with 3 more coming out now… it was a gift and has been great to look after 😀
    @daffodil2010 I’m so happy for your DH! What an amazing trip that must have been 💕 They must all feel so lucky to have found each other.
    @at thinking of you 💕. They never leave our hearts ♥️
    Well done to all those who are winning at the moment! I have to get back on track – for both body and mind 👍🚂
    Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 9, U.K. – NFD

Well the scales definitely aren’t broken because I’m up nearly 3/4 pound after yesterday’s FD! Nice 😂😂😂!!!

Anyone that suffers with SLEEP disturbance on a FD??
    Well, I have made a useful discovery I think…. And maybe solved the problem????

I read in Dr Michael Mosley’s book that if your body is struggling to convert into a fat- burning state ( i.e. to produce ketones ) then you will struggle with broken sleep and feeling cold.

So I thought to myself that perhaps I just needed to help my body find a way into ketosis and then I could sleep better on my FDs.

Hey presto! I came up with a solution… This week I have been taking 1 teaspoon of the bulletproof “brain octane oil” which purports to help with getting your body into ketosis.

So far this is DEFINITELY working for me! 😊
    I’ve only done it twice so it is hardly a huge scientific study, but i already sense this is the right track.

I’ve only taken 1 teaspoon per day on fast days, which equates to 45 cal and I believe it’s really helped… Also helps stave off hunger pangs in mid-afternoon, which is also a bonus!

@daffodil2010 – Sorry to hear about the gout that is horrible news and yes I have heard that it is one of the most painful things on the planet, poor you 🤕

@jaifaim – I think I could’ve done with some indoor tomato plants this summer with the useless summer but we have had here in the UK 😄😄

@stitchincarol – I am very impressed by your “found”
    FD! How wonderful that you have the mental and metabolic flexibility to just go with the flow…😍

@basyjames !!!! OMG!!! RESPECT!!!!!
    This is absolutely stellar! I am in awe….

All you amazing water-fasters – Massive CONGRATS to you all, I’m so impressed!!! Xx

Day 9 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – FD

I have read all posts but can’t comment but loving all the energy on here. I am leaving the house in 5 minutes as I am going to my sisters mother-in-laws funeral, RIP, and it’s the other side of town in rush hour traffic and I am doing a reading at the church and cannot be late. 😨

Due to this, today is an FD, and a late lunch beetroot salad OMAD

Have a good Thursday.

Day 9 – Ireland – NFD

Off to the dentist… routine visit but hoping the rain stays away 🚴.
    Have a good day all!
    Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 9 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – FD

I’m also in awe of the water/liquid fasters! Maybe I’ll try it; one day? 😱 Today, even the thought of a regular FD feels a bit daunting. I woke up too early & feeling a bit grumpy, but, here we go…

Stronger Together!

Pocket List – Day 9 🍏
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie

Day 9 – Canada 🇨🇦 – NFD

Good morning everybody. Lovely to read all your posts.

Glad you were able to reschedule your dinner party @stitchincarol.
    @basyjames – Amazing that you can do liquid fasts, so impressive 💪. I would love to be able to do that. Is it just water or do drink other liquids?
    @high5 – like the idea of brain oil, if it helps with sleep I, in 👍

Take care.

Day 9 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 223 lbs. Well, yesterday turned into a NFD, but I halfway expected it. Went out with co-workers to enjoy a delicious grilled chicken breast on rice and vegetables at our favorite Mexican restaurant (shhh, don’t mention the salsa and chips/tortillas). Mom gave me some leftover smoked pork loin and homemade fries/chips when I arrived home that evening. I added avocado slices and some nuts and cheese. But I forgot to eat my vinegary addition to the potatoes; whoops! The generous portion of watermelon didn’t help, but so it goes. I was good to again have no soft drink at all yesterday and no candy or potato chips.

The decision to do a regular NFD yesterday is because I got a call back from my scheduling request for my annual wellness exam. As they’ll be doing blood labwork this morning, today’s a perfect day to use as a FD! I was hoping to be even lighter by now, but I’ll certainly be lighter from my last physical: 260 lbs! Even with my dress shoes on, I should be 30 lbs lighter haha! That means my goal is to be at least 30 lbs lighter by this time next year!

As we arrive at the community center, we see the Rev. Smith speaking to a few strangers at the makeshift altar area. No sign of Buzz yet. Lola helps Wesley with his bow tie as I scan for any appearance of either of the happy couple. As they are no where to be found, I assume they are nervously preparing for the big day’s ceremony.

The pop and hum of a portable speaker system crackles in Room 220, which is already decorated in white flowers and silky fabrics. Although a small ceremony, it will certainly be a beautiful one.

“What time does it start,” Wesley asks.

“In about an hour,” Lola says, putting the finishing touches on his tie.

“I wonder where we’re supposed to go now,” Wesley says.

Lola shrugs. “Maybe someone will come out and tell us in a minute. At least you all could be spectators, but being in this bridesmaid dress kind of gives me away as a participant.”

I look around the room again. It seems strangely empty for a wedding starting up in an hour. Then again, there was the storm that had impeded so many from getting here, so perhaps it’s just the dinner crowd from last night plus a few more. Even so, where’s the dinner crowd?

Pocket list – Day 9
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia

Day 9 North canton OH WFD 3
    @stitchincarol yes you absolutely can do it. Funny enough, it was watching Jason Fung videos that encouraged me to try my first extended fast, his explanations just made so much sense. With regards to meals, my oldest daughter is off to college and my youngest prefers to make her own meals, DH cooks as well and once in a while I cook when I am fasting but not often. As long as it is not on the first day, I actually do not mind cooking when I am on an extended fast; because I enjoy inhaling the smell of food when I fast, (I know it is weird). Good idea to wait until the numbness wears off before you eat. I tried eating once when my mouth was still numb (in my pre-fasting days) and I almost chewed my tongue off! Then when the numbness wore off, I realized there was a piece of chicken in my cheek pouch!!!
    @songbirdme I agree Dot’s cheese curls are very addictive, I have never tried the pretzels- hmmm 😋
    @high5 I suffer with sleep disturbance as well, and I am willing to try the brain octane oil – where do you get yours from?
    @dvw I drink iced water, sparkling water with 2 TBS ACV, and 1 cup of coffee with 1 TBS of heavy cream for my liquid fasts.
    @northgeorgia I hope you get a good report during your AWE. Your doc is going to be happy with your progress I am sure.
    Have a wonderful day everyone!!

Pocket list – Day 9
    @daffodil2010
    @funshipfreddie
    @northgeorgia
    @basyjames WFD 3

Day 9 Melb Aust CD

Well, I’m trundling along well so far this month. Think I’ve lost at least a kg, but weigh-in is on Saturday morning, when the scales will tell the story.

@stitchincarol, how did you modify your menu now a couple of your dinner guests are unable to come? Can some of the food be either left frozen, or frozen once cooked, so you won’t be tempted to overindulge post-party?

@dvw, good Jason Fung quote to keep in mind.

@daffodil2010, glad you have a sympathetic locum at your medical clinic concerning the gout. Hope the pain continues to decrease.

@northgeorgia, what did your medico say at your annual review – was he/she impressed with your weight loss?

Okay, getting late here, but – onward and downwards everyone!

Day 9 – Rural Nebraska, USA – FD

Okay, quite by accident this is turning into a week of FDs. Monday was scheduled to be, although it was the day that got s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d to include cheese appetizers and wine, so probably 800-1000 calories. Still, that’s a good number. Tuesday was a WFD. Yesterday I ended up not tempted because my mouth was so sore from the dental work, so I didn’t eat a thing until we had deviled eggs and some nuts for supper around five o’clock.

And this morning? 145.4 Wowza. That was another pound down from yesterday and enough to make my eyes wide with astonishment and delight! So curious what the number will be tomorrow after today’s FD!

In the back of my mind, I keep worrying how long this success will last. Right now, it’s quite easy to do, and the results keep showing up, but I’ve worked at losing weight for a long time, and I know that it won’t necessarily stay easy, or if it does, the results won’t necessarily keep showing up. But if they do, I’ll be somewhere around 130 by Christmas, and that would be such a joy!!!

@songbirdme Thanks for the sympathy. 🥰 The pain is nearly gone this morning (what’s left is entirely ignorable), the cost was $510 and was covered by our HSA card, and the crown is DONE. They have a fancy new machine that uses a camera to take a picture of the existing tooth from every conceivable angle, and then it recreates it in a crown that they pop on. A little off here, a smidge off there, and POOF!, you’re done. It’s rather amazing. And the eggs? We’ve gotten them from Walmart (cheapest), from HyVee and from Baker’s (a Kroeger store), and they’ve all been fine…and SUCH a convenience!!

@jaifaim Glad you had such a good time while gone, and glad to have you back!

@high5 Such a simple solution to extreme hunger and poor sleep, and so lovely that it’s helped so far. Do keep us posted on how it helps over the long term, okay?

@daffodil2010 Please explain an Irish funeral where it’s simple to do a FD; here in the states, a funeral is nearly always followed by a “lunch” of lots of food while everyone visits with people they haven’t seen in a long time.

@northgeorgia Ahh, it’s nice to have Wesley and crew back!

@basyjames How lovely that your DH cooks, and I chuckle that your younger daughter prefers to cook her own meals. I’ve discovered, entirely without knowing I would, that Tuesday is a perfect day for a water fast since I’m so busy driving to seven different homes for a lesson, and then racing to run errands during my two-hour break in the middle of the day, so I’m sure going to keep it up given how successful it’s been so far!

@betsylee We were able to reschedule for Sunday afternoon, starting at four o’clock. It’ll certainly be measurably tougher to pull off all the preparation in time and remain relaxed, but I’m just glad we could make it happen.

Choir last night was so fun. We had several who missed because they’re sick with various ailments, but it was all good, and I was my usual “BARK! BARK! BARK! bundle of energy”…I sometimes worry I’m too driven and need to relax more at choir practices. But I know I will relax eventually, and hopefully they can just laugh at me in the meantime! At any rate, it’s the first time we’ve had choir in longer than I can remember, and it was a complete joy!

And now I’m off to tackle this day! Have a good one, everyone, wherever you are in your own day!

Day 9 Canada FD

Looking forward to a FD today and hoping the scales will be kind tomorrow morning!

@stitchicarol what a great week you are having, bravo!
    @high5 I struggle with sleep and feel cold at night when I am fasting, no idea what you are taking but glad it is working
    @songbirdme that afternoon snacking is so hard to control, I have started having a bowl of raw veggies on my counter on NFD’s and only eating them. We will see:)

Have a great day, strong fasting and good control for the NFD’s of our gang

Day 9 USA – OMAD

Maintenance goes better when I don’t load up on salty items. But generally those pounds on the scale don’t last. Yeah for that!

@basyjames – those Dot’s products used to just be in the west. I found out about them at our daughter’s in Salt Lake Cty, but now we get to buy them all over the place. And get addicted to them! 🙂

@stitchincarol – glad your crown wasn’t painful for the pocketbook. DH and I have spent oodles on our teeth (him implants, me crowns and permanent bridge) so I sympathize on that too! I am envious of your choir getting to sing. New (Governor mandated) Illinois restrictions are putting road blocks up for our choir. 🙁

@high5 – I would like to know more about your recommendations on disturbed sleep and being cold on FD’s, especially as we head into winter. What do you mean by “bulletproof brain octane oil?” I must have missed what that is somewhere along the line.

Onward and downward.

Day 10 AUS FD800

@stitchincarol, wow! You are the fasting queen this week! Fab that you are getting such great results.

I’m feeling a little sulky today. I’ve been doing FD800 days all week and the scales have barely moved at all. There’s been a slight move down on the measurements but still. I suspect there may just be a time lag. Eating and exercising the way I am now a couple of months ago had great results.

I don’t imagine the stress we east coast Aussies have been under is helping much.

Off the gym for a powerhouse work out to hopefully get things moving again.

@litprof – I have a WWF friend (who actually turned me on to 5:2 years ago) who lives up at the Gold Coast. Sounds pretty awful for all the East Coast Aussies. So sorry for you all …. 🥲

Day 10 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Delighted to show a slight decrease at the end of this week compared to last week, and compared to Monday’s weigh in so its all good. This 80:20 plant based diet is really suiting me, I am really enjoying all the veg and legumes. I used to be a vegetarian many years ago, that’s when I discovered lentils and chickpeas etc, but then I met the worlds biggest carnivore, DH, and eventually meat came into my diet.

Still not a huge meat eater but more red meat in my diet the past 10 years than before….and cutting it out has been surprisingly easy.

Going to have some salmon tonight though, with veg and wholewheat noodles…I think the weekend will be the only time I will take a portion of fish or meat, though not much.

My weight, my menopause, and my gout calls for this change in diet!!!

@emma-taylor, thanks, I will get some cherry extract from Holland and Barrett as I don’t want to be on ibuprofen etc for too much longer

@funshipfreddie, I can sympathise with your Dad, and he was a non-drinker. That’s the thing when I tell people I have gout, the assumption is that I am lashing into the red wine all day, every day 😨

@stitchincarol….an Irish funeral generally finishes back at a pub for lunch and drinks, with loads of people there, but Covid restrictions still here, and although there was a small family lunch organised in a local pub to my sisters, I left after the cremation as I had to go and do a few hours work. Oh and well done you in the fantastic loss!

@songbirdme…I have gout AND plantar fasciitis……wonderful eh?

Have a great Friday everyone.

Day 10 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Phew?! So glad that FD is over. It’s usually the Monday FD I struggle with, but not this week. Caught up on sleep, & the scales tell me I’m exactly 71 kgs this morning, so half a kilo down for the month

Interesting 10 minute YouTube video from a woman who’s been practicing OMAD in a 2 – 4 hour window for 300 days. She also pushes Gin Stephens’ ‘Fast. Feast. Repeat.’ book, & I found her voice a bit grating; but anyway… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wy0bob0en0&t=2s

Hey hey it’s Friday!

Pocket List – Day 10 🍒
    @litprof

Day 10 – UK – NFD

Apologies for being AWOL yesterday – I’ve been having some joint & disc issues recently and yesterday was particularly bad. I ended up with an emergency appt to try and get everything back into place. It’s an ongoing thing and I’ve had a large prolapsed disc in my lumbar spine previously but it looks like I now have a couple going elsewhere too. Not great..! The week has flown by and my plans for a day off today haven’t materialised either as I have a few deadlines I need to hit today work-wise, however I have plans to see my best friend tonight which I am really looking forward to. The first time we’ve had an evening just us for a lonnnnng time!

@stitchincarol – You are absolutely smashing it! 145 is where I’m aiming for, I can’t wait until I see those numbers on my scales again. I am yet to start Dr Fung’s audiobook but I’m hoping for a similar burst of motivation like yours when I do. I was like that the first time I sat and properly read Michael Moseley’s book and then the weight fell off me soon after starting the 5:2.

@emma-taylor – great advice with the Cherry extract, I had no idea it had anti-inflammatory properties. I’ll be grabbing some too!

@daffodil2010 – I hope the funeral went as well as can be. The 80:20 plant based diet sounds great

@litprof – I understand that sulky feeling! If your body is anything like mine, you’ll see that loss next week on the scales. Well done on doing the F800 all week, that’s amazing!

@basyjames – Incredible work on the WFDs!

Have a brilliant Friday all!

Pocket list for Friday 🍋:
    @litprof FD800

Day 10 – Canada 🇨🇦 – FD

Finally the scales are moving in the right direction, this morning 131.6 lbs. Now I just need to banish those thoughts of Mrs Crimble’s Coconut Macaroons from my mind.

@stitchincarol – wowsa indeed!!! Congratulations 👏 and so nice to hear your choir is back.
    @basyjames – thanks for the details of your liquids, once I get up the courage it’ll come in handy 🙂
    @litprof – I’m sure you’ll see results soon. We’re all pulling for you.
    @northgeorgia – well done 👍 avoiding soda, candy and chips.

Happy Friday all.

Pocket list for Friday 🍋:
    @litprof FD800
    @dvw

Viewing 50 posts - 101 through 150 (of 428 total)

You must be logged in to reply.