First week difficulties, please help!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Support, chat and encourage
First week difficulties, please help!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  diet021271 9 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hi there, I’m trying out 5:2 for the first time this week and am having such a hard time sticking to only 500cal! I used to fast during the day all the time (sort of naturally), so the days are no problem, I usually don’t eat my first meal until 1pm anyway, and only eat small meals during the day. Nights, however, are my Achilles heel. I tend to get so hungry in the evenings and am really struggling to overcome the temptation to snack. I’ve suffered from insomnia for years, and if I don’t eat before bedtime I’m awake all night. Any advice you could give me would be really appreciated! I tried to do my first fast day yesterday and ended up eating 1000cal, total. I had a small chicken salad at 5pm (when I got really hungry for the first time), then the rest right before bed. 🙁

hi Charlie

well done on taking the first step and starting 5.2, some people find it easy from day one others find it a little more difficult and I include myself 🙂

maybe you could try waiting a little later then 1pm for your meal? also in the evening after I have had my last calories of the day, usually my dinner, I keep some spare cals for a hot choc treat like those Options ones,they are only about 60 cals, it makes you feel like you are treating yourself and do taste nice too!!
    I am sorry about the insomnia, I can relate to that as I very often wake up in the middle of the night and just cant go back to sleep.. hang in there, it will get easier the more fasts you do, you’ve only just started so don’t be too hard on yourself!
    let us know how you are doing, support is always a step away on here and someone always has a suggestion and everyone is so helpful too!
    take care and good luck xxx

Hi Charlie. I’m in my second month of 5:2. Questions: Are you drinking enough fluids? Fluids help to stave off hunger. Sometimes just getting up, walking around and deep breaths help. Distract yourself! Also, embrace trial and error and find what works for you, within flexible parameters of the plan. In other words, don’t be tough on yourself. I consider 5:2 a lifelong plan that I’m going to make work for me. I began with a 6:1 plan, thinking I wouldn’t stay with 5:2. Week two — I gained more confidence in myself and slipped into the 5:2 routine. Everyone on the forum works within a slightly different plan. Again, find what works for you. Doctors say the best diet and exercise plans are the plans we can stick with. Don’t quit! Keep going. You’ve already made the hardest step! Beautiful day — Jean

Hi Charlie

I found the first few weeks really hard and just hated going to bed with a growling tummy too! I really found the big thing that helped me was putting off eating as long as possible. If I could have my first bite at around 4pm then dinner at 8 o’clock and a tiny snack around 10 before going to bed, that was my most successful Fasting.

I write a blog with lots of meal ideas and had a few months worth of progress reports so if you want some good food ideas that actually keep you full, check out: http://meg-made.blogspot.co.uk

Good luck and stick with it, it gets easier from here on in!!
    meg

Checking in with Charlie – hope your health plan is going well. Trust us, it gets easier as the weeks pass. It’s a forgiving plan. Be kind to yourself. Jean

I’m in my first week too. Tuesday was tough. I was also a pretty grumpy, feral so-and-so at points. I also have two young kids (and a dog) that can make things challenging when I have that gnawing ache. Agree with the fluids comment. That takes the edge off. Today is my second fasting day. Lets see how we get on.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.