Fat content

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  bigbooty 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• I’m probably in the total wrong subject.. But I have just watched a dispatch program about low fat foods.. Appently there not that low in fat after all, how many grams of fat a day should I be eating, I didn’t count calories and I have lost the weight I wanted to but now after watching that program looks like I have another thing I have to check as well as calories

Hi Hannah:

Current thinking is that a person should have about 60% of their total daily calories from fat, 30% from protein and 10% from carbs. If you take your TDEE and multiply by those numbers you will get a calorie number and then divide by 9 to get your grams of fat per day. So using 2000 as an example for TDEE, X .6 = 1200 / 9 = 133. So around 133 grams of fat per day.

If you believe in the old and discredited low fat high carb diet, then take whatever percentage it recommends for fat (usually 10% or less) and do the same calculation. Same with any other diet you choose to follow.

But I would forget all about counting grams of anything, try to cut down on processed carbs like sugar, pasta and flour, and use 5:2 or 6:1 to maintain my weight loss.

Good Luck!

This debate rages on. Just go to youtube. You have the low fat high carb camp and the high fat low carb camp and neither likes the other and each insists the other is booking themselves into an early grave. Personally I don’t fear good fats found in nuts, fish, avocado etc. I eat some red meat but not a lot. I limit my intake of processed carbs that you find in bread, pasta, rice etc. The carbs I do have are mostly contained in veggies. I try and get the carbs from whole foods. Just getting rid of sugar alone will see most people losing weight and feeling better.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.