Fasting with no results 😭😭😭

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Fasting with no results 😭😭😭

This topic contains 29 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  dondons1uk 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

• Hello,

I’ve been observing the fast diet for the past 8 weeks. My fasting days are Wednesday and Thursday. I’ve kept a log of my weekly calories and they are in the right range for a pound a week of weight loss. The problem is, these last three weeks, I haven’t lost anything… In fact, this week I gained half a pound. I know that sounds silly, but if I’m observing the 5:2 fast diet regimen, why aren’t I losing, and why am I gaining? Help!

A glass of water weighs half a pound so I think you can discount that as a normal fluctuation in weight rather than gaining fat.

Can you give us some more detailed information such as how much weight you need to lose, how much you lost in the first 5 weeks and exactly what you mean by “in the right range” It isn’t really possible to offer advice otherwise.

That is disconcerting for me as a brand new fast dieter; but I totally understand. I have been on a regimen of counting calories for over a year and lost 53 pounds, then suddenly starting gaining with no “reason” I have been able to find; so I want to try this fasting and see what happens. I have been at a plateau of 240-245 for about a month and a half! Makes no sense.

To Amazon – I am 43 years old, and I have seven-year-old triplets. I weigh 175 pounds, and I’d like to lose 20 pounds by November. In the last eight weeks, I’ve lost 10 pounds successfully using this 5:2 regime. As you can imagine, I felt like I had found the holy Grail for my weight loss journey. I recently started hormone replacement therapy because I’m starting menopause, and that has been no picnic. I’ve kept a food log/calorie log since I began (8 weeks ago), and I feel it’s pretty accurate (i’m not under-reporting calories); this has been evidenced by the weight-loss I’ve achieved in the last eight weeks. For the most part I would say on the days I’m not fasting, I eat anywhere from 1400 to 2000 calories, but usually closer to 1500 or 1600. Five days a week, I go on a hilly hour and a half hike through my neighborhood. Not to mention, I run around all day taking care of my triplets/housework/etc. I and constantly moving… I rarely ever stop. I was in tears this morning when I got on the scale, because I was particularly proud of the efforts I made this week, only to see I had gained half a pound. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong.

I believe I read that you should not fast 2 consecutive days in a row. They suggested Monday & Thursday. I’m just starting so hoping this will do the trick.

Hi Katheresa24
    Please don’t give up. Weight loss is not linear and sometimes there seems to be no rhyme nor reason to what happens each week and we are all different and our bodies are likely to react unpredictably to weight loss at times. I posted the following on another thread about 3 weeks ago and it shows my statistics for my first six weeks of weighing myself. You can see on week six I had one of my lowest weekly deficits and yet lost nothing. It’s been three weeks since then and I’m pleased to report I have gone on to lose another 4lbs in those 3 weeks, please don’t lose heart, I know its so frustrating but keep at it and in the long run you will see a downward trend.

WEEK ONE
    Total Calorie Deficit 4070
    Average Daily Calorie Intake 1419
    Loss 3lbs

WEEK TWO
    Total Calorie Deficit 4070
    Average Daily Calorie Intake 1419
    Loss 1lb

WEEK THREE
    Total Calorie Deficit 1963
    Average Daily Calorie Intake 1720
    Loss 1lb

WEEK FOUR
    Total Calorie Deficit 4007
    Average Daily Calorie Intake 1428
    Loss 4lbs

WEEK FIVE
    Total Calorie Deficit 5076
    Average Daily Calorie Intake 1275
    Loss 2lb

WEEK SIX
    Total Calorie Deficit 4260
    Average Daily Calorie Intake 1391
    Loss 0lb

Katheresa Just another point – you say you have lost 10lb successfully in the last 8 weeks – that’s wonderful – it IS working.

Hi, thanks for giving us more info. If you have lost 10lbs in only 8 weeks you are doing it right so no problems there. I would say the answer is hormonal due to menopause, HRT and that you’re also probably retaining water so are on a plateau due those factors.
    As others have said, weight loss isn’t linear and our bodies do what they need to do despite what we want them to do.

I’ve lost a lot of weight on 5:2 and there have been weeks when I’ve not lost an ounce or it has gone up for no reason. I’ve lost 12lbs since Feb 12th, but none of that has been in the last 2 weeks. I’m not concerned as it has happened before, and eventually my body shows my efforts on the scales. I’m almost 70lbs into an 84lb journey.

The weight will start to come off again soon, stay relaxed about it and keep doing what you’ve been doing for the past 8 weeks πŸ™‚

To Amazon – your post really cheered me up. Thank you so much for the support… It’s rare on forums like this to receive such positive support and no criticism. I’ve heard the phrase “weight-loss isn’t linear” before, but I never really understood it till now. Thank you again for your post and for your support… I will keep on keepin’ on as they say. Happy weekend!

Hi everyone,
    I just saw all the rest of the posts… And I just want to say how grateful I am for all the support you’re giving me. It means a lot and it will keep me on track. I will definitely try alternate day fasting instead of two consecutive days. Thank you all again and happy weekend. πŸ’–πŸ’–πŸ’–

Hi Katheresa and welcome:

This post explains why you can do everything right and still gain weight: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/warnings-to-newbies/

This post explains a typical weight loss progression on 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/really-no-weight-loss/

Just keep on going.

Good Luck!

To Simcoeluv,
    Thank you so much for these resources! I’m overjoyed to see that I’m not the only one experiencing this. Now I feel silly for even posting my message. πŸ™ˆ

To all,
    I keep reading about a 3:4 version of this regime. Can someone explain what that is… I’ll Google it too, but I’d like to hear from people who have had successful results. And thank you all again.

Hi Katheresa:

You are welcome. Don’t feel silly – I wrote those posts because so many people felt the same way you did.

Perhaps you mean 4:3 (although 3:4 is possible). It means having 3 diet days each week instead of two. This post explains the ‘numbers’ behind 4:3 (and 5:2) – https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

Some people that think they have hit a ‘plateau’ when they don’t lose weight for a week or two try 4:3 to help get their weight loss going again. As the numbers show, it does not help that much, but if they think it does, then it does!

Good Luck!

Hi Katheresa,

very frustrating, to be sure.
    If I were you, I would look at what I eat on my non-fast days:
    – any snacks
    – anything that triggers insuline response
    – anything that makes you especially hungry

and so on and so forth.

Best of luck!
    Austrian

When I took hormones for about 8 months, i gained weight. I think that is one of the reason.
    Another, if you lost 10 lb, you should adjust your daily calories intake – it should be less now. Less the weight, less calories intake to lose weight. For example, when I was 163 lb, my TDEE was 1534 cal, but then I lost 13 lb, so now my TDEE is 1463. But my mind is telling me “oh, you lost weight, so now you can eat more!” . I really struggle now to lose weight, because it harder for me to eat less calories.
    Please don’t give up, we all have struggles once in a while. πŸ™‚

After loosing 25# over 4 months I have hit a plateau at 150# (68 kg.) My goal is 142#s. I seem to loose a little and then regain. Almost like my body is resistant to going any lower. I am 65 yo. and do alot of walking, treadmill at gym, and working outside.
    I am thinking of trying to fast 3 days for a week to see if it propels
    me to loose the last few #s

Cincy65,
    Sounds like a good plan.
    Congratulations on losing 25lb, it is great result for 4 months.

Hi Katheresa,

You do not process all calories the same, so perhaps you need to take into account where those calories are coming from. You have 3 sources; fats, carbohydrates or protein. Perhaps carbs are spiking your insulin response which will lead you to store those calories as fat. Try avoiding carb dense foods like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc. These are not good if you are trying to burn fat as they will promote fat storage in a lot of people. Go for big bowls of veg/salad with some protein like cheese, meat, fish etc.

Good luck.

You may want to read The Obesity Code, I believe it goes into great detail about the regain aspect after losing weight. It is a great book period and I think everyone should read it. It is written by a doctor.
    Edit: post was in reply to daddybear…trying to get the hang of the forum.

Big booty is 100% correct. Eat low carb, high fat, and the weight will fall off.

THe Obesity Code is a real eye-opener. Also be aware that even though you may stall on losing weight as measured by the scale, you may be losing fat and reshaping your body. I am definitely slimmer at my current weight going down than I was at the same weight going up.

Thank you, PinkQueen and Fitnfast! I just finished reading Keto Clarity by Jimmy Moore, and I just ordered The Obesity Code! Thanks again!

I have the same problem. I started off at 12 stone 12 pounds and went down to 12 7 but I simply cannot get below that. I have religiously counted calories on my two fast days (tuesday and thursday) and try to follow a healthy low carbish diet, no potatoes, pasta bread or rice with plenty of veg for the others. I go to gentle exercise classes (I am over 60) twice a week and have a personal session with a trainer to strengthen muscles rather than to exhaust myself once a week. Yet I cannot get below 12 7 and have been stuck there for 5 weeks and this morning I weigh 12 9 ! I can cope with staying the same although I feel a bit narked but to experience going up when I am following this is the pits. Any advice other than to persevere?

Dear Pollypet,

I had the same experience as you… It’s the worst feeling in the world knowing how hard you are trying and getting no results. Over the months I’ve discovered that my weight will hover around the same number for anywhere from 3 – 5 weeks. Then all of a sudden it will be 1-2 pounds lower. You are doing all the right things… Just keep up the great work… if there’s one thing I know, my menopausal body is very stubborn and reluctant to let go of weight, so it usually takes a few weeks to “convince” my body to let the weight go. Plus, water retention can always throw a monkey wrench into the situation… just don’t lose hope… keep doing all the things you’re doing, and eventually your body will let go of the weight…even though it might be at a snail’s pace (which has been my experience). I’m always here if you want to work together or vent to someone! πŸ™‚

Hi Katheresa24, your weight loss so far is a win! I am a 61-year old mother of 20-year-old triplets, HRT for 9 years now. I’ve only lost 5.5 lb in 4 weeks, but they say slow weight loss lasts better than quick loss. HRT reputedly makes for a slower loss, but you still lose. Did you see the news stories about The Biggest Loser participants who all gained back their weight? Slow is the way to go, and remember the other health benefits of 5-2 fasting.

Perhaps the bigger questions are: Do you like this eating plan and will you do it long term? I LOVE it because it’s only one day of restricted calories at a time, and I find it easy to say, “I’ll have some tomorrow” to whatever goodie presents itself.

Can you fit some weight training to build more fat-burning muscle into your crazy mother-of-triplets life? Best wishes!

Hi Katheresa24, your weight loss so far is a win! I am a 61-year old mother of 20-year-old triplets, HRT for 9 years now. I’ve only lost 5.5 lb in 4 weeks, but they say slow weight loss lasts better than quick loss. HRT reputedly makes for a slower loss, but you still lose. Did you see the news stories about The Biggest Loser participants who all gained back their weight? Slow is the way to go, and remember the other health benefits of 5-2 fasting.

Perhaps the bigger questions are: Do you like this eating plan and will you do it long term? I LOVE it because it’s only one day of restricted calories at a time, and I find it easy to say, “I’ll have some tomorrow” to whatever goodie presents itself.

Can you fit in some weight training to build more fat-burning muscle into your crazy mother-of-triplets life? Best wishes!

Polly,

Muscle training is anaerobic. By all means do it to tone your body but if youre doing it to lose weight then it isn’t going to work. Just go for a brisk walk for one hour. If you can get your heart rate up to about 60% of max then you will be burning lots of fat on your walk. I walk for one hour every day as part of my routine.

Hi Pollypet
    I am also in my 60s and have been on 5:2 for around 6 months and still losing.
    Sometimes if I am on my 2nd fast for the week and the scales aren’t moving as they should I do a second day of fasting, so I have two consecutive days of eating 500cals ( so that is 1000 cals in total over the two days) and that lengthens the fast to 60 hours. This means some weeks I end up fasting 3 rather than 2 days but it does help the scales move in the right direction. I hope this helps.
    I am currently also trying the 16:8 method where you only eat for eight hours during the day but not sure if this will work for me.

Hello, have you tried taking green tea everyday, 3 cups a day?

SkyBlue69 how did you get to your calorie deficit a week? Is it 7x BMR less calories consumed or 7xTDEE less calories consumed? Thank you!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply.