Fasting effects on the body

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  isman 8 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Fasting is an amazing process that results in great benefits for the body. I have seen a few questions regarding how energy is derived through a fast and what happens. The 5:2 program is a great approach that is manageable and effective.

If interested, please see this article on the metabolic changes that occur during a fast and where energy comes from during the process. http://intermittent-fasting-now.blogspot.ca/2016/01/overview-of-fasting-effects-in-body.html

This is my understanding of the processes and I would be interested in others perspectives and experiences.

Very interesting article, thanks for sharing it. PP

Thanks for posting this I wondered about losing muscle and according to this it would only be for one day, good to know!

Hi Yogidog,

I don’t know what others experiences are, but muscle loss has never been a concern. Would be interested to hear from others on different perspective.

Cheers,

I am new to IF and only been doing it for a week. Does fasting increase/decrease testosterone level? I keep seeing website advocating IF as a way to increase testosterone. But from what I see from Dr Michael Mosley BBC, it is to decrease IGF hormone.

Where does the science that says it increases testosterone level?

Hi terry:

No. I take it there is something for sale on the website.

If you Google intermittent fasting and testosterone, it returns a lot of websites promoting intermittent fasting as a means of increasing testosterone naturally. So, no, nothing for sale!

The longer you do a complete fast for the quicker your liver will “learn” to kick in and start producing ketone bodies as an alternate source of energy. I do two consecutive days of zero calories. I monitor my ketones using a keto-stick and dipping it into my urine. Available over the counter at chemist shops. By the end of 24 hours I have started producing ketones. By the end of 48 hours my ketone levels are between 2-4 mmol/L (36-72 mg/dL). 2-4 is in the normal/good range. Ive not really noticed muscle loss. I actively ride my bike and not noticed a drop in performance. In fact I now find it easy to ride while fasting albeit at about a 5-10% reduction in my maximum performance. While you sleep your glycogen levels will be replenished to about 50-70% of maximum which is what it would be if you topped up by eating.

Fasting reduces IGF hormones which aids in cell repair rather than new cell generation. This helps promote longevity (according to MM).

I am just finishing a 3 day fast and was monitoring ketones through the fast. I found ketones starting to be produces at about 36 hours with higher levels really kicking in after about 60 hours. I will track in future to see if my body is able to transition from glucose to ketones more quickly as I continue with the fasting regime.

Thanks for the feedback all!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.