Fasting and muscle building

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  SteveA 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Hey,

I’ve recently read “the fast diet” by Michael and Mimi and have some concerns.

I am a university student studying Sports Science and the topic was brought up by my girlfriend for weight loss. I read the book out of interest and was surprised by the health benefits associated.

I currently follow a resistance training routine for sport, and I am worried that if following the fasting for one day of the week it would affect my muscle mass or muscle mass development. I am trying to put on significant mass in the off-season break and wouldn’t want this to hinder this (too much).

Thanks for any information available.

Hi Flingy

I haven’t been on an intense regime for muscle building but in the 10 months I have been on the diet my total fat has dropped, my muscle mass has increased and I’m lifting heavier weights.
    I’m a medical product designer, not a medic, but we recently had a presentation to our company by a diabetes researcher and she described the insulin/glucogon cycle to us. So by depriving your body of glucose fuel on a fast day, you should end up burning fat to provide the energy you need. This might mean that you just get leaner rather than bigger but I’m not an expert on this stuff. I stay well hydrated on my fasting days and still manage to run and go to the gym so I wouldn’t avoid trying the diet for this reason.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply.