Extreme weight loss in first week: Wondering why?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Extreme weight loss in first week: Wondering why?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  snedger 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Both hubby and I started the 5:2 this past Sunday. Both in mid-60s, both active, healthy, but obese according to BMI measures. I have been following a non 5:2 restricted calorie diet for the past 18 months. I lost 30 pounds in the first 9, and have been plateau’ed/maintaining for the most recent 9, bobbing up and down across a 5 pound range. That’s why I decided to try 5:2: to sort of kick-start a new round of weight loss and get out of the obese range. Well, this morning was my first weigh-in on 5:2 and I was gobsmacked to see I had lost 9 pounds! Even more amazing (yet most definitely annoying) was the fact that hubby had lost 13! I know about water weight, weight of undigested food, etc, but this amount of weight loss seems pretty stunning. I warned my hubby that next week we will probably see a weight gain, and shouldn’t expect this type of loss again. But just wondering if anyone else has had this type of extreme weight loss in the first week, and what happened in the following weeks. Thanks for any shedding of light!

I suspect that most of that must have been water retention. There is no magic involved. But don’t let that stop you!! Lets assume that you had zero calories on your two fast days and that you need about 2000 cal/day. One gram of fat contains 9.3 calories. So 2000/9.3 = 215 grams. Two days is 430 grams, or about 1 lb loss of fat. One to two pounds is about average weight loss.

Hello
    I agree that there was probably a lot of water loss.
    I’ve just managed a full 4:3 fast week for the first time in a very long while.
    I suspected that I was very under hydrated – a week of extra watering has meant that I am not so bloated and uncomfortable and “things” are working much more regularly.
    Anyway, my point – I lost 2.5lb after a week of 4:3 (total abstinence on fast days) – in my personal experience, upon restarting IF after an unintended bulking break, I would normally expect to lose at least 7lb in the first week, if I’d had the water to waste.
    Best I’ve felt in months – hopefully can use that memory next time my “greedy brain” tries to talk me out of finishing a fast day.

WellfedOne,
    You probably need to drink more on fast days 🙂
    Cheers
    snedger

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.