Existing gallstones and fasting

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Speedy 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Pre-existing gallstones and fasting.
    I was wondering if this is likely to be a problem. In a recent investigation for something else they saw I have a lot of gallstones – full gallbladder I think I think they said.
    No way of knowing how long I have had them of course but I’ve been (very) overweight forever to some degree or another and have occasionally lost a bit of weight then put it back on again.
    Last year I lost 17 kilos with 5:2 at the rate of about a kilo a week. Still have a lot to lose and been wondering if losing more weight by fasting will just make my gallstones worse because as I understand it when you fast your gallblabber doesn’t empty so often so the concentration of bile increases and that may cause gall stones.
    Last year I lost weight by not eating for 24-36 hours as that was easier for me but thinking now that it might be better to eat two or three times a day on fast days to keep my gallbladder working.
    Just wondering if others have any experience or knowledge about fasting + gallstones.
    Thanks.

I don’t have any personal experience with fasting and gallstones.

A couple of years ago I got food poisoning bad enough that I was taken to my local hospital Emergency Room complaining of SEVERE abdominal pain. The physician on duty gave me a powerful painkiller and then jumped to the conclusion that I was having a gall bladder spasm. IF it had not been after hours they would have taken my gall bladder then and there. I lucked out. I have had no similar problems since that time, but immediately after the ER experience I looked up the side effects of having the gall bladder removed. Permanent diarrhea or “rectal leakage”? No thanks!

I have seen others express concern that fasting might aggravate the gall bladder. I have two thoughts: 1. this is not a total fast 2. you can incorporate one tablespoon (15 ml) of coconut oil into you fasting 500 or 600 calories. That will give the gall bladder something to do and the medium chain triglycerides are good for you.

I hope this has been helpful.

Thanks for your reply Fast Jimmy. I had been doing it a just a water fast for 24-26 hours. I found that easier.
    Interesting idea about coconut oil though. It’s quite a trendy oil at the moment I think? I use it for ‘pulling’ which is supposed to deep clean your mouth – but you don’t swallow it then.
    I’d otherwise thought of not doing a water fast and incorporating half an avocado for breakfast. Shame because I much prefer to do just water fasts – they are so much easier I think!
    I hadn’t really thought of that but it’s a good idea. Thanks 🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.