Dr. Peter Attia on IFIK (Intermittent Fasting, Intermittent Ketosis)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
Dr. Peter Attia on IFIK (Intermittent Fasting, Intermittent Ketosis)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  wiltldnrUSA 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hi Dr. Mosley. There is a medical research scientist named Dr. Peter Attia who did a very interesting TED talk recently which you can view here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UMhLBPPtlrY One of the things I really like about him, in reading further, is that he has the same gripe as me about nutritional “science”. Which is that most common wisdom today about nutrition is more based on hunches and has never been subjected to rigorous scientific testing. He has a web site which you and your readers can find here: http://eatingacademy.com. It is written for the public but is quite technical about nutrition and ketosis. In reading through, I discovered that he is also doing intermittent fasting (5:2) which he has labelled IFIK for Intermittent Fasting, Intermittent Ketosis and which you can read about here: http://eatingacademy.com/personal/what-i-actually-eat-part-ii-ifik-2. I thought you and some of your readers might be especially interested in his blog which is full of scientifically based nutritional findings. Personally, after reading about your 5:2 program in the New York Times last February, I started intermittent fasting on March 10, 2013 (5:2) and have lost 18 pounds so far (as of July 12, 2013) with about 40 to go. I’m currently trying a 4:3 fasting plan which I am finding to be fairly easy. I especially like the idea of intermittent fasting because it makes so much more sense evolutionarily. I have long tried to reason out ideas based on an evolutionary perspective. The fact that our hunter-gatherer ancestors would have feasted when food was plenty and fasted or eaten little when they had to scrounge around for food is much more in agreement with intermittent fasting than the idea of restricting calories on a daily basis for long periods of time. I very much doubt that any hunter-gatherer ever restricted their caloric intake when food was available except perhaps for cultural or religious observances. Thank you for this website. I have found it very helpful and inspirational. Sarah

Hi, Sarah In Maryland – Thanks so much for the links to Dr Peter Attia. How fascinating that, for some people, like Peter himself, even a small amount of sugar is so damaging whereas for others, like his wife, unlimited sugar appears to cause no problems.
    From reading various proponents of Functional Medicine [**], it seems that just simply reducing overall calories will not be an effective weight-loss strategy for many people, if their metabolism and hormones are out of kilter. An appropriate balance of nutrients, the right type of food and even the time of day one eats seems to be critical.
    From what I can see, most conventional medical practitioners only react to the increasing number of people on the spectrum of high bood-sugar levels – from hyperglycaemia, through to insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome, right up to diabetes – by prescribing drugs after the event, rather than understanding and providing guidance on dietary means for controlling and reducing the problem, before further damage is done. And, as Peter says, the link between insulin issues and obesity is probably being looked at the wrong way round, with fat-storage being an appropriate ‘safety measure’ in an attempt to protect the body against excess insulin, rather than, as is generally believed, weight-gain causing the insulin problem.
    Of course, when our hunter-gatherer ancestors feasted in times of plenty there wasn’t a huge Supermarket or endless chains of fast-food outlets just down the road, pressing food on us 24/7 – that’s the big difference today.
    You seem to be thriving on your Intermittent Fasting regime. I wish you continuing success in reaching your goals and great good health.
    [**e.g. Dr Mark Hyman and Ritamarie Loscalzo]

Very interesting! So sugar can be addictive and make you feel hungrier!

wow! i have read his blogs and almost everything stayed up late

i must admit many of his stuff made my eyes glaze over & caused short waves in brain! dr michael would probably luv the science.

what he eats i still don’t understand why he eats that much. i know it is a complex formula. trying 2 figure it out

i wish he would simplify on an other link 4 laymen or keep it simple and sweet as if he were talking to his cute little girl

i’m still always, going to do fastdays

i’m thankful that i came across dr michael

i really think the body needs to rest and let it have some time to operate on other problems and 2 be able 2 fine tune our body mentally & physically & not just making it a slavemachine 2 our eating & eating & eating.

i’m just trying 2 find out how to combine all these nonfastdays & fastdays

in a healthy satisfying way while losing the much needed pounds

i just looked @ videos and Chris Powell’s site of carb cycling

http://chrispowell.com/

found videos of his philosophy and found an e book “Choose More, Lose More for Life” in the library

http://www.doctoroz.com/search?q1=Chris+Powell#!?q1=Chris+Powell&sort=A

what i love about the fastday lifestyle is you can incorporate & experiment

paleo, mediterranean, south beach, atkins, vegetarian, Dr. Peter Attia, Chris Powell’s carb cycling

& any other healthy lifestyles

as long as u give your body 2 or 3 alternative days off of rest

we should fast4life ur body deserves it

just checkmarking
    the
    Notify me of follow-up replies via email
    oh well i’ll go make my dinner & listen 2 a free book from my lbr
    on my super old mp3 😀
    while copy pasting ugh this reply 2 all
    now i wish i were a newbie 2 many 2do

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.