Do I have to eat 3000 calories on non-fast days?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
Do I have to eat 3000 calories on non-fast days?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Frenske 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Hi all,
    I started IFing about 2 months ago. After the first week I found I had loads more energy and I really didnt feel hungry on my non-fast days (until about 4pm when I would need something to eat).
    Do I NEED to eat my full 3000 calories on my non-fast days? I really dont feel the need to eat. I obviously eat more on my non-fast days, but only about 1000 calories or so. Is this bad? Will I get result faster if I continue doing this? Or should I make a concerted effort to eat 3000 calories on non-fast days so my body can contrast that and my fast days?
    Many thanks

No. The less you eat the more you lose. No magic, just common sense.

Isn’t effectively advising people to turn IF into daily caloric restriction missing the point of IF….?

Don’t overeat on non-fast days, but do eat ‘normally’ is the best advice.

“Normal” is such a relative thing, which is there is TDEE. I don’t count calories on my NFDs but I certainly pay close attention. I allow myself the small treats, knowing that I’m allowed on NFDs. The guilt over the treats is gone…but it sure isn’t a feast day.

So, gbay, if you don’t feel like eating your total TDEE, then don’t.

Yes, I didn’t mean normal for an overeater 🙂

TDEE calculators can only be a rough guide and I’ve never paid any attention to it.

I’ve never counted calories on non-fast days, but then I have a reasonable idea of appropriate portion sizes. And I’ve cut out refined carbohydrates and added sugars, which makes a huge difference imo.

Thanks guys. I dont know what my TDEE is. Ive quickly googled it so I know what I need to do to work it out.

My main downfall is alcohol consumption. Ive stopped drinking beer and have turned to gin/rum (with zero calorie mixers) and wine. I probably have about 4 drinks an evening. Anyone else have this problem?

Im recommending IF to everyone. I lead quite an active life (run most days, play sports 2 days per week) and I cant believe how much energy I have on my FDs!! And also how much money Im saving! 🙂 It seems so counter intuitive. I have a load of energy gels which I dont think Ill ever use becuase I dont need them now!

Ive just used this to work out my TDEE: iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    It says:
    Your BMR is: 1544 Calories/Day
    Your TDEE is: 2123 Calories/Day

So really I should be eating less calories on my FDs? (I currently eat 600).I should be eating closer to 500?

Good to see you have determined your TDEE correctly. 3000 kcal per day is a lot unless you are very active.

It is not exact science and it is impossible to determine the exact number of kcal you eat. If you can manage to eat around 500 kcal great, if you feel better when eating 600 kcal that’s fine. Some people eat nothing on a fast day. In general the less you eat, the more weight you will lose, but don’t expect gigantic differences between eating 500 or 600 kcal. Both will work as long you stick to around 2000-2200 kcal on non-fast days.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.