Discover your Strenght

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sylphadora 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• One of the things that I learnt from this diet when I followed it some months ago is that I am  much stronger than I thought I was. I remember the first days I fasted, some of them I had terrible hunger pangs but I was alway able to see the day through.

Eventually, the more days I fasted (always non-consecutive days) the more my body got used to fasting and the hunger pangs stopped being so terrible. Now I never get ravenously hungry when I fast, it’s always a manageable hunger that it’s not all that bothersome.

This has provided me with a sense of power and self-confidence that has changed how I see and value myself. It has made me believe that I can stand it everything and that it takes more than what I thought to destroy me. This psychological benefit is for me just as important as the physical benefits =) Anyone else share this feeling?

I can tap into a little of that.  I have been saying to myself that it actually feels “good” to fast—that somehow it is enjoyable even though uncomfortable.  If that makes any sense.

it actually feels lovely to finish breakfast and know there’s not going to be any unnecessary thoughts about what to eat next until dinner. I  start to feel hungry around 5pm and enjoy walking to the shops to buy for preparing dinner. as dinner is so light, it’s only a small parcel to bring home.  chopping and weighing for dinner, is so fun, i really appreciate it and feel so good about being truly hungry for a bite to eat and i set a lovely table for one, with no distractions. my fast days feel like spiritual days. and then the next two days actually feel very balanced and just do’nt overeat even without trying. once a week i’ll get something fun like a cake or a small chocolate. this feels terrific as i am normally a real over eater.  I am a woman, 53 years old, post menopause, started at 75.7 kg’s on May 5th, now weighing 72.3 kg’s on May 27th. waist was 43 inches to start, now 41 inches.  felt great and balanced from day one, strangely calm and fresh thinking and have commenced walking in the last week 40 mins per day, and pilates half an hour per day, including on fast days. just fasting Mondays and Thursdays [ eating 500 calories spread over two meals, breakfast at 7:30 am, dinner at 7:30 pm.] I look forward to my fast days, and planned them for the quietest time in the week so I can still enjoy meals out with family and friends on nonfast days. saw the Horizon Program, downloaded the book to kindle, read it cover to cover, then commenced the eating plan within one week. just love it!

I get what you mean about fast days feeling spiritual. I’ve gotten some helpful insights into my eating habits because fast days get me thinking. Taking a temporary break from food makes me reflect upon *why* I usually eat and I’ve had a few revelations.

I have a terrible sugar addiction and often feel urges to overeat. Fasting has taught me to be in tune with my hunger cues and pay attention to my satiety level. I’ve realised that I don’t ‘need’ food 24/7. I can go a day or even a couple of days without eating and I won’t die. This in turn has made me learn the difference between food as fuel and foor for ‘fun’.

I can recognise a binge and admit to myself when I am having one. This self-awareness is what made me take action against my binge eating disorder and my sugar addiction.

Last time I relapsed, I entered into a binge-eating cycle that lasted four months. In that time I gained about 30 pounds and my health took a turn for the worse. I started 5:2 and lost all the weight and more, but the best thing is I gained the best health tool: mindfulness!

The past 2 months I have been in a couple of ‘danger-zone’ situations where I just know I would have relapsed had I been there some time ago. However, the few bumps in the road I’ve had have remained isolated episodes thanks to something as simple as listening to my body and to reason.

Now I am confident I have the ability not to overeat or fall into an addiction. It’s in my power. I am the one who chooses. It’s so obvious and yet I needed to take it in. Fasting is what made me fully comprehend that overeating is a choice and I have the tools to put a stop to it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.