Dieting after an op

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  anne53 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• I had a hysterectomy 9 weeks ago, I started the 5:2 diet after my 6 weeks check up, I have been so good and find it reasonably easy to keep to but I haven’t lost an ounce :0(, is it due to my still recovering from my op, should I even be doing this diet yet? I want to lose 2 stone before my next checkup in 6 months time, any advice welcome.
    Thanks.

Hi beaddifferent,
    I had my hysterectomy 12 weeks ago. Started back on the 5:2 about 5 weeks ago. It took a few weeks to get back into it again and adjust again to fasting ( especially following Christmas!). I gained weight because of being so sedentary following the op and overeating during the festive season. I am back to walking loads and running a little bit but I am nowhere near burning the amount of calories I used to pre-op. So the loss has been slow and I have yoy yo’d. I have to have another op in 2 weeks and that has spurred me on to investigate how much I eat on non fast days and to be more careful with not allowing myself to think I can have all those treats because I have earned them by fasting. I’ve given up alcohol for now because I want to be in tip top condition for my next op and also because I make poor food choices when I have a drink! I think its ok to do the diet post operatively but I’ve been more mindful about improving my eating on no fast days. Maybe you are overeating on the 5 days? Coupled with maybe not moving as much as you did pre-op?
    Also lots of posts advise on using measurements to monitor change. I haven’t but wish I had because my tummy has definitely reduced but my weight loss isn’t always that significant. Can you see a physical change that helps with motivation?
    Take care.

Hi Anne,
    thanks for replying, yes I am not moving quite as much as pre op, though I am now back to walking my 2 dogs each day, I get frustrated as I can’t seem to walk as fast as I used to, I also got on my treadmill yesterday, I am going to try to do that as an extra each day now, I don’t drink, my sins are biscuits, I have banned them from the house, I think where I was going wrong was actually on the fast days, I spoke to my GP about it, she is a great advocate for this diet as she follows it herself (though I think a puff of wind would blow her over!)she suggested I don’t touch things like potatoes etc (however small a portion)on the fast days, yesterday I did a lovely vegetable stir fry (I’m vegetarian)without carbs and wasn’t at all hungry when I went to bed so we will just see how it goes.
    Thanks again.
    Bea.

Hi Bea,
    If its any consolation I am about 1 month on from you post op and been walking at my old pace for about that – so maybe you will see an improvement during March. I know what you mean about biscuits, I can’t afford to have them in the house either! On fast days I can sometimes manage to have only water all day( I drink hot water anyway so that’s easy) and a cup with a teaspoon of marmite in it around lunchtime. However I have found it harder with it being colder ( don’t want to pay for heating during the day when there’s only me here!), not eating anything makes me feel colder and sometimes I don’t sleep so well. Until it gets warmer I have a beetroot and apple blitz made in the nutribullet early afternoon so I can add things like flax seeds to that and then tea time I usually have a poached egg with ryeveta. Last night I had chopped cabbage, grated raw carrot and beeetroot made into a coleslaw with plain yoghurt instead of mayo with a boiled egg( I am veggie too). I used to enjoy the recipes in the book such as the mexican pizza which is delicious but I’ve stopped putting the oven on just for that! Have you tried the spiced dhal ( in the mens recipe section)? it’s delicious!
    Well done with the treadmill!
    Anne

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.