Crohns Disease and fasting

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Goddina 8 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Brand new member here! I have Crohns Disease, currently doing well and in remission. So well that I am at an almost all time high weight! I plan to start the 5:2 diet this week and hope to lose about 40 lbs, and perhaps improve my Crohns symptoms even more. Any one else out there have Crohns and an experience to share?

My daughter has severe Crohn’s Disease and I am wondering if the 5:2 diet will help, since it apparently helps with other autoimmune diseases such as Rheumatoid Arthritis. Are there any contraindications? She is currently having fortnightly Humira injections.

I don’t know. I was wondering if anyone else with Crohn’s had tried this. My case is fairly mild and well controlled with immunosuppressive therapy (purinethol).

Hi Kayjay, I have Crohns and have been doing the 5:2 WOL for 6 months now. I too hit an all time weight gain after two years in remission. I have now lost 11 kilos and am at a weight I am happy with. The main thing I have found is just a big reduction in how often I go to the toilet (look away now anyone if your squeamish about toilet talk – with Crohn’s there is a lot of it!) I have no idea if it’s from having less inflammation due to the fasting or if it’s just less food intake equals less food out.
    Either way, I will take it.
    The other big improvement I have noticed is in my joints, which have been so bad for years. Carrying less weight has helped so much and I just think there is less inflammation everywhere in my body.
    The only word of warning I would give is that when I first started 5:2 I always had a very upset stomach the day after a fast day and I was concerned that it was making my Crohns worse, I have since learnt that is a common problem for people starting fasting. It stopped after about a month and has not occurred since.
    I really hope this WOL works for you. Good luck.
    Jenny

Thanks Jenny!

Is the upset tummy maybe because of eating more veggies?

Hey – I too have crohns, I’ve been attempting the 5-2 for about 8 weeks. One thing I’ve learnt is if I’m having a bad day I fasting I simply start eating. I figure I have to go through enough challenges without struggling to fast. As long as I manage one day a week I’m happy.
    Be careful with what you eat on fast days – don’t eat things you wouldn’t notmally have – just have smaller portions. I think it is probably more difficult if like me veg and salad are no go areas.
    I’ve not lost much weight but starting to loose inches around my tummy and hips.
    Good luck

Great to find this thread. I have Crohn’s and like Others have gained weight since its been more under control.

I’m still on some meds including high doses of Omepresole. I have to be a bit careful of what I eat but am lucky in that I can eat veg as long as it’s cooked…

Great to hear other people’s experience and I’d be keen to hear about any further research. I also have read about the positive effect on other inflamatory diseases and keen to hear any research specifically on IBD and fasting…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.