Confused about nut butters

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Confused about nut butters

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  fitnfast 8 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Since I am a peanut butter addict, and have been reading more lately about how bad it really is for me (in addition to already knowing the calories and such), I made a note to buy almond or cashew butter (thanks to Viberadiant for recommending it also!).

So at the store just now, I compared them all,, and can’t see much of a difference at all! Same calories, fat, protein…So why are they supposedly better than peanut butter??

I did buy the PB 2 recommended on my thread about my addiction, and it is way lower in all respects.

Any ideas what the benefit of the almond or cashew?

Why do you think peanut butter is bad for you?
    It can raise LDL if you eat too much too often, but all nuts are good for you if eaten in moderation.
    I love it and eat it regularly.
    I buy organic peanut butter with no added ingredients which is readily available in wholefood stores.
    I doubt that you are addicted to peanut butter, it is more likely a case of too much of a good thing.

The calories are so high, and yes, when I start, it is hard to stop! I even use the organic/natural.

I googled it, and then remembered that the Leptin diet has it on the list of foods to avoid if you are trying to get your hunger hormones back under control. That is where I saw it! Supposedly it has a bad effect on Leptin. I am using the guidelines from this for my nfd’ s.

The PB 2 is pretty good! I also bought (probably shouldn’t have)Jif whipped peanut butter/chocolate spread. It is fewer calories and not as tasty as regular peanut butter. I will use those as my occasional treat.

I don’t think it’s really the type of nut (peanuts aren’t actually nuts but for our purposes they do count as one and are similar in nutritional properties to ‘proper’ nuts) it’s the fact that peanut butter is so ubiquitous and often comes VERY processed with a LOT of bad stuff in the jar with the ‘nuts’.

I did a quick google and here’s some advice about picking the right nut-butter:
    “When choosing a nut butter, look for spreads with the fewest ingredients possible: Just nuts (and salt, if you want). Arrowhead Mills Organic Peanut Butter, for example, contains 100% dry-roasted peanuts, and has 190 calories, 17 grams fat, and 8 grams protein per 2 tbsp serving. (We also like their creamy cashew and almond butters, which do contain some natural canola oil.) Keep natural peanut butter in the fridge, advises Caplan, to keep it from going rancid and to prevent oily separation.”

The advice is obviously aimed at the American market (never heard of Arrowhead Mills myself) but the advice stands for everyone. The less ingredients the better. If you have a powerful enough blender (nutribullet etc.) you can make your own just with the nuts and NOTHING else (OK maybe you might need to add a little oil but maybe not) google it.

Also found this advice about ‘The Worst Nut-Butters’:

“Major brands have eliminated trans fats from their nut butters, but most still contain hydrogenated oils (high in saturated fat) to increase spreadability and prevent separation. Some “natural” product lines swap hydrogenated oils for palm oil, also high in saturated fat. Skippy Natural with Honey, for example, contains 200 calories, 16 grams fat (3.5 grams saturated), and 5 grams sugar per 2-tablespoon serving.

“Nutella’s creamy chocolate-hazelnut combo is terrific for an occasional treat—but it’s hardly part of a “balanced breakfast,” as its commercials say. Two tablespoons contain just 200 calories, yes, but 21 grams of sugar. In fact, sugar and palm oil are the product’s first ingredients, even before hazelnuts.”

200 calories per 2 T. is a lot in my book! Not to mention all the other bad stuff added in. And who can stop at 2 T. and be satisfied? I don’t think I can eat that little of anything without feeling like I am depriving myself, or feel guilty if I have 3!

For now, I will stick with the PB2, and have the natural real stuff for an occasional treat.

This from another site:

“Peanut butter for losing weight?

You can probably guess what the conclusion is already going to be on this one.

While there is nothing inherently fat-promoting about peanuts or peanut butter (like virtually any food…), there are definite reasons you might want to avoid eating peanut butter when trying to lose weight.

The high density of calories in peanut butter makes it extremely easy to over-consume. Fat takes a longer time to tell our body that it is full than protein (and protein makes you feel more full in general), so if you are not diligently tracking how many peanuts or how much peanut butter you are eating, it is all too likely that you will eat too much.

Ultimately, you would have an easier time with your diet if you chose more filling foods. Something like chicken for protein and cottage cheese for fat and protein would tend to fill you up more, provide higher quality protein, and be harder to over-consume. If you are concerned about your lacking monounsaturated fat intake, use olive oil, which you can easily measure out or just guess.

There is nothing wrong with having some peanut butter every once in a while on a diet, especially if you are on a low-carb diet. The main thing to be aware of is its caloric density, so just watch how much you are consuming.”

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.