can this really be called fasting?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Forlornehope 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Isn’t the Fast diet more of a calorie controll diet than I.Fasting?
    I mean to me fasting is going without food for a period of time but with the fast diet you are alllowed to eat small meals on your “fasting day”. Does this really have the same good effects on your health as Intermittent fasting?

.. “Does this really have the same good effects on your health as Intermittent fasting?”

Sorry i am a newbee whats the difference between intermittent fasting and this fasting/ dieting like you ‘fasting’ doesn’t seem to fit .. I’ve brought the fast diet recipe book is this not the right one? =)

Yes I would like the theory explained too – I mean why did they decide to introduce a minimun calorie intake on the “fasting” day – to make it easier? I have heard Dr. Mosely on the radio and tv but he never goes into the reasoning behind it. He says he has breakfast abt 8 then and evening meal abt 8 so if he eats nothing in between that is a fast of 12hrs. I often dont eat after an evening meal at say 9pm and have a late breakfast the day after at say 10am so I am fasting more than this diet without even trying.

hi guys,
    Dr Mosely tried a few types of fasting,

1st he didnt eat for 3 days and 4 nights ( as i remember) in the program and found that his test results for IGF1 and colestrol and a few others i cant remember had all dropped by half.
    but he would have to do that once every few months to maintain the good health results, so looked into other ways of fasting that wouldnt be so gruelling.

2nd he investigated intermittent fasting (this means eating one day and fasting the next on a 500 cal allowence. studies showed that those doing this type of fast lost about the same weight if they feasted or watched cals on the non fast day.

3rd it was decided that for Dr Mosely a two day fast of 500 cals 2 days a week was a good mix of this diet that suited him, thats how the plan came about. thats what worked for him,

many follow Dr Moselys plan and it works very well for them others have adopted the intermittent fasting (fast one day eat the next) others mix it to 3 days fast 4 days eat normal, thats the beauty of this plan it can be adapted to suit each persons own needs.

at the end of the program Dr Moselys test results showed the same health benifits when he fasted the 5:2 method.

hope this explains things for you both. xx

I’m new to this forum and on my 2nd week of 5:2, and was wondering the same as you, Skinnygit – for me, too, “fasting” means going without food entirely (for a period of time), so I wondered how eating, even as little as 500 calories per day, can still be called “fasting”.

(It seems that the other 2 posters somewhat misunderstood your point…)

But I guess it’s not so important what name is used for it, as long as we are all clear about what’s meant by it? 🙂

If it helps certain religions ‘fast’ at certain times, but this too is not going all day without food they just miss breakfast and lunch and then have a large meal in the evening!! I believe it’s purely about allowing as much time between eating as you possibly can to give your body a rest and allow the healing process. I believe the calories on those days are purely about being able to have something to make this possible-more palatable, but any more calories and it won’t work!! I stop eating at 7pm night before feast and don’t eat again until 7pm fast day. I don’t have full 500 as I feel I don’t need them.

Yes, I know that’s how Muslims fast; though they are also not allowed to drink anything, even water during fasting (daylight hours), which to me sounds quite dangerous…

And then, on the other hand, I know Catholics call merely foregoing meat “fasting” 😉 But then that’s quite a far cry from the usual meaning of the term.

Hi Rosetta! Actually Catholics call foregoing meat abstinence (applies to forgoeing anything of course) Fasting rules, when I was growing up, were laid out in some detail but now are just to eat significantly less than normal and give the money you save to a suitable charity. There used to be lots of fast days in the year but now it’s just Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, so not much chance of any health benefits from that anymore! Having written all that, with my tongue wavering towards the inside of my cheek, giving any money saved on fast days to a charity providing for those who go hungry, not from choice but because they cannot get food, is perhaps not such a bad idea.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.