Beans and Lentils: Recipes, tips and information

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Food Recipes
Beans and Lentils: Recipes, tips and information

This topic contains 118 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Cinque 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 120 total)

• Thanks LJ,

Another recipe on the must try list………

I saw a paella being made with pearl barley on a cookery show and they soaked the grains for 30 minutes before cooking them.
    Soaking them in stock would be a good idea as they would still take up a lot of flavour but take less time to cook.

SUMMER RED LENTIL COCONUT DAHL
    This is adapted from http://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/summer-pumpkin-dhal/qm8NBWk6

I think of dahl as a quintessentially Indian dish, but this version has south-east asian flavours.

This will make 2 litres (8 cups) of dahl and takes about 20 minutes to cook.

Ingredients:
    approx 4 cups vegetable stock
    1 tblsp oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 stick of celery, finely chopped
    2 tsp crushed garlic
    2 tsp fresh grated ginger
    2 tsp finely grated turmeric (or 1tsp powdered tumeric)
    1 tsp garam masala
    2 cups (400g) red lentils
    400ml lite coconut milk
    salt, to taste
    a generous handful of shaved coconut (I used dried , but fresh would be fine)
    2 kefir lime leaves

Method:
    Heat 1tbls oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add onion and celery and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, ginger, turmeric and garam masala. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until combined. Add the lentils, shaved coconut and the lime leaves.
    Add half the stock and the coconut milk. (At this stage it looks more like a buttermilk sambar than dahl.)
    Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add another cup of stock and simmer until absorbed. At this stage taste the dahl and add salt if required. Check the lentils for tenderness and add as much of the remaining stock as required. Once the lentils are cooked, put the lid on and leave off the heat until required. Remove the lime leaves before use.

The original recipe suggested serving this warm with slices of roasted pumpkin and a green snake bean salad.
    I plan to serve it with roasted pumpkin slices and a cucumber and yoghurt raita.

The cooked dahl can be frozen once it has cooled completely.

Due to a request on another discussion thread I have worked out the calorie count for the dahl recipe above.

The Lentil Coconut dahl is 235 calories (989kj)per cup.
    It might vary a little depending on the stock and coconut milk that you use.
    I counted a handful of shaved coconut as 15 grams because that’s how much fits into my hand.

If you want a lower calorie count I would suggest:
    – leave out the shaved coconut
    – use half a tin of coconut milk and replace with extra stock.
    – reduce the oil to 1tsp.
    – reduce the lentils by 100g (you would need less stock also), replace the volume with 2 cups of grated or minced vegetables such as carrot, sweet potato, zucchini, squash, green beans, cauliflower.

I didn’t make this for fast days. But 1 cup teamed with veg or salad would work as a FD meal.

A chickpea shortage means hummus prices are set to rise

Eeep! But whew! Australians will be okay.

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2018/02/02/chickpea-shortage-means-hummus-prices-are-set-rise

Indonesian Grain and Legume salad
    This is adapted from Mollie Katzen’s “Moosewood” cookbook. In its original form it’s a brown rice salad, but I normally use alternate grains with a higher fibre content. I also removed a lot of the oil and the honey and most of the fruit.
    I find it useful as it works hot or cold and it’s about texture and flavour balance so a lot of substitutions work well.

Ingredients – Part 1
    1 cup dry grains (freeka, kasha buckwheat, spelt couscous, pearl barley or brown rice)
    1 tblsp sesame oil
    1 orange, juice only (or use 1/3 cup bottled orange juice)
    2 tsp apple cider vinegar (or more if you prefer)
    1 tblsp tamari (low sodium Japanese soy)
    1 tsp minced garlic
    Optional – a finely minced fresh chilli

Ingredients – Part 2
    ½ cup roasted chopped nuts (pine nuts, peanut, cashews or almonds)
    1 tblsp sesame seeds
    1/3 cup dried currants or sultanas or a grated apple
    2-3 cups finely chopped “crunchy” raw vegetables – eg spring onion, celery, capsicum, snow peas, water chestnuts, grated carrot etc
    250g fresh sprouted mung beans or brown lentils – these are not the long bean sprouts used in Chinese cooking, they are sprouted beans with a very short tail (see below). Alternatively you can use 1 ½ cups cooked drained puy lentils, brown lentils, chickpeas or mung beans.

Method:
    Cook or soak your grains as appropriate. The methods vary wildy depending on which grain you choose. If you want this salad fast, choose couscous as you just pour boiling water over the top and leave it for 20 minutes.
    As soon as the grains are cooked, drained and very hot, add all the remaining ingredients from part one so they soak into the grains and flavour them.
    If you are having this as a warm salad, add all the ingredients from part 2, mix well and serve immediately. If you want a cold salad, allow the grains to cool completely before adding the ingredients from part 2 – they stay crisper this way.

This makes 7-8 cups of salad. It is a very filling salad and I find can be a complete meal in itself or used in small portions as a side salad.
    I have not worked out calories and don’t intend to as there are too many variables depending on chosen grains, legumes, nuts and vegetables.

Note: If you are still confused about the sprouted beans, this picture shows what I mean. http://chefinyou.com/articles/sprouting-mung-beans/ I find that both greengrocers and larger supermarkets sell these in plastic tubs, usually located next to the alfalfa sprouts.

The BBC recipe site had a link to chickpea recipes today. Some look very good.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/collections/12_cheery_chickpea_recipes

A nice read about the intricacies of dal making, and a recipe I am keen to try

Poritha Kootu
    Mung Dal

https://vegeyum.wordpress.com/2018/02/25/poritha-kootu-basic/

One with wow factor. Red Kidney bean Chocolate Cake.

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/kidney-bean-chocolate-cake

This “Syrian Brunch” from the BBC website takes one pot of soaked dry chick peas and then turns them into multiple dishes. That’s exactly the way I tend to treat soaked legumes – I like to get a lot of mileage from the effort. This felafel recipe sounds almost exactly like the one I normally make, with exactly the same spices.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/syrian-themed_brunch_15028

Really enjoyed reading lots of these recipes- thank you all for posting!
    If you’re after something really quick on a FD, I use a weightwatchers recipe I found for chickpea salsa. Basically mix a tin of drained chickpeas with chopped red onion, halved cherry tomatoes, chopped chilli to taste, then pour over a dressing of a little sweet chilli dipping sauce mixed with lime juice. Scatter over chopped coriander, & serve either cold or warmed through.

Since peanuts are technically legumes….

10 recipes

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/article/2015/09/04/10-ways-peanut-butter

I was looking for some new ideas to use the collection of pulses/legumes in my pantry. I came across this and a few of the recipes look tempting enough to try.
    http://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-food/legume-recipes/

Hi there everyone, my husband and I are just about to start our fast journey, problem is he can’t stand chickpeas (I love them) and as lot’s if recipes use them, I was wondering what could I substitute them with that have roughly the same calorific values etc? Thank you 😁 x

Hi Layne,
    Hopefully someone who knows more about calorie counts will come along to help you. But my suggestions re substitutes for chickpeas would depend on the particular recipe. I presume a different bean to substitute isn’t going to work? So I’d suggest small cubes of sweet potato, pumpkin or parsnip could be considered. Small cubes of tofu or tempe. Quartered water chestnuts would work in some recipes. Cubes of beef or lamb. And some recipes could work fine with the chickpeas left out all together.
    btw your husband is crazy 😉

Hi Cinque
    Thanks for your super quick reply.
    Oddly enough he does like all other beans and pulses and yes he is crazy 😂, so perhaps I shall just have to experiment with what to use..like you said depending on the recipe type/style. I love the sound of your suggestions too and will happily give them a try. Again thank you 😁 x

Good luck. 🙂 If he eats other beans, that is what I would substitute. Slightly different texture and taste, but should still work well. Maybe black-eyed beans would be a close substitute.

Here’s a link to the red lentil and tomato soup I’ve been eating for over 15 years and on 5:2 fast days
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/another-newbie-21/#post-251576
    Calorie calculations included.

Mexican Bean Salad

This salad is a family favorite during the warm months of the year. I rarely measure ingredients and just add them to taste. If I’ve planned ahead I cook my own beans, but more often I end up using beans from a can, 2 or 3 tins of each.

It has black, pinto, kidney, chick peas, and some cut sweet corn, red capsicum, chopped fresh cilantro, chopped celery, chopped sweet onions, small black olives. and chopped jalapeños. Dressing is mostly lime juice with a little balsamic, cumin, a little chili powder and garlic, and salt.

I usually make about 3 day’s worth at a time. It gets better after it sits overnight.

Thanks Cali 🙂

And Lemonstar 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 120 total)

You must be logged in to reply.