Beans and Lentils: Recipes, tips and information

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Food Recipes
Beans and Lentils: Recipes, tips and information

This topic contains 143 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  LJoyce 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 151 total)

• I thought it could be useful to have a thread dedicated to these wonderful foods! They are a wonder food, full of goodness, usually inexpensive and literally hundreds of different types of beans, peas and lentils, and thousands of recipes using them.

I am planning to add a recipe here every week! I hope you will add your favourite recipes, tips, and useful information. Or ask questions!

I found a nice introduction to beans and lentils here: http://www.beanslentils.com/about_b&l.htm

‘There are over 1000 legumes species. Pulses and legumes are in the class of vegetables that includes beans, peas, lentils and garbanzo beans, or chickpeas. Beans and Lentils have been found in 5,000 year old settlements in the Eastern Mediterranean and Mesopotamia, in Egyptian pyramids, Hungarian caves, Britain and Switzerland, in even earlier
    civilizations like Peruvian Indians, Middle Eastern and East Indian civilizations. Beans and Lentils are thought to have originated from the wild lentils that still grow in India, Turkey and other Middle Eastern countries.

Even now peas, chickpeas and lentils are produced and consumed mainly in Africa, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Turkey and the Middle East but because of the interest in international cuisine, healthier diets and the desire to use herbs, spices and seasonings and low amounts of fat there is a new interest in beans and lentils.

Legumes are wonder foods as they are low in fat and absorb the flavor of spices and herbs, making them fun and tasty to eat. People have been eating legumes for thousands of years and these foods are the main source of protein for people in many cultures all over the world.

Beans and other legumes have all the nutrients now recognized as important in preventing heart disease, cancer and obesity. They are high in complex carbohydrates, protein and fiber and they are extremely low in fat.

Legumes or Pulses are the edible seed of certain leguminous plants like chickpeas, beans, lentils, peas and split peas. Leguminous plants provide a valuable source of protein for people and they fix the atmospheric nitrogen in the soil, which makes them important for the environment.

Beans and Lentils are very low in fat, high in fiber and are frequently referred to as a wonder food. Dried legumes and pulses are classified into three groups: beans, peas and lentils. They are eaten either whole or unhulled (with the skin still intact) or split in half with or without their skins.

In the West, especially in USA, long-cooking beans are popular. But if you want to make pulses part of your regular diet (as it is tasty and healthy) try India’s two moong dal favorites – yellow moong and black moong (urad dal). These dals cook quickly and are easy to digest because they are low in the complex sugars that are not easily broken down by the human digestive enzymes.

Pulses are one of the sources of protein for the diet, other than meat. For vegetarians pulses are a vital part of the diet. For non vegetarians, pulses offer an alternative source of protein without the fat but with a lot of fiber. Also beans and lentils are rich in complex carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. ‘

THE CHICKEN THAT FLEW – Djaja Tarat
    This is a wonderful, easy, delicious recipe that I made often when my daughter was little, because she loved it so much.
    It is from Morocco, and the name is because it is what you cook when you haven’t got chicken (it flew away!).

1 1/2 cups of cooked chickpeas (1 tin, rinsed)
    1 1/2 cups water (or less if you can
    1 large sweet potato in bite size chunks
    1 medium onion, thinly sliced,
    1 tbsp olive oil
    a little salt

Cook gently 10 minutes, or until the sweet potato is cooked, and the water has evaporated to form a sauce.

Check the seasoning, add more salt if needed, pepper, and 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander or parsley leaves.

Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.

* I often exchanged the sweet potato for other veggies: carrot, potato, green beans
    * You can add spices, eg a big tsp of ras el hanout, at the start of the recipe.
    * I soak and cook dried chickpeas for this recipe, (start with one cup, end up with 3 cups when cooked, use half) and I cook them with saffron which adds to the yumminess!

Cinque,

What a wonderful idea, thanks ?

Thanks, I love chick peas Cinque. Do you know how many calories and how many it serves?

Hi Amazon, Thin,
    Thin, you ask the hard questions!
    I think it would be four serves. Sometimes I have a bowl of it as a small meal, other times I serve it with a grain, and maybe some salad too.
    re the calories, the oil is important – I cut it down from the original, but it makes the lovely sauce.
    Google says
    1 can of chickpeas: 364 cal
    1 large sweet potato cooked: 162 cal
    1 medium onion: 46 cal
    1 tbsp olive oil: 120 cal
    So even with the parsley and salt it would come in to under 700 calories for four serves.

(oh dear, do I need to do this for every recipe?)

Hi Cinque,

Thin only asked if you knew how many calories… You could have yes or no without elaborating further. I’m afraid you fell into that one!

I made this tonight, with plenty of North African spicing. Tasty and very filling for the meagre calories! Thanks.

I’ll be back!

Ha Happy, I’m such a noob!
    So glad you liked it!

My calorie bible says that cooked chick peas contain around 114 calories per 100g and a can is usually 240g drained weight which works out at about 290 per can, but the side of the can says 75 calories per 100g so it is a bit of a minefield. I decided to go with what it says on the can ?
    I’ve made a spicy version for my FD dinners today and tomorrow using sweet potato, parsnip, potato plus ras el hanout and a very hot chilli and some slices of lemon. I love such dishes after they’ve been reheated and the flavours have really developed, so it is done and ready for reheating later.
    I’ve tasted it for seasoning and it is fab, 750 calories for two dinners and if I’ve underestimated the calories it doesn’t matter as I won’t be eating anything else.

Your version sounds delicious Amazon! And yay for always going with the lowest number!
    My daughter liked things with NO SPICES, but luckily it is still delicious that way.
    And guess what, as soon as she grew up and left home she started loving spices!

RECIPE: DRY MOONG DAL

Yes, I know that it doesn’t sound that appetising, and that lots of people have never even seen moong dal, but I thought this was a good recipe to share because this isn’t a soupy dal, the grains stay plump and separate, and that means it can be a good substitute for people who don’t eat grains.

I found this recipe in the first Madhur Jaffrey recipe book I read, and I have been making it ever since. The moong dal is delicate, the spicing is light. I love a bowl of this just as is, for a light lunch, but I have also used it in place of a grain with meals.

Here is a picture showing whole moong dal (the same mung bean used whole or sprouted in Chinese and Japanese recipes), the split bean, and the split and hulled moong dal (the yellow ones): http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/grain_moong_dal.jpg

200g (7oz) moong dal, washed and drained
    1.2 litres (2 pints) water, plus 1 tbsp
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/4 tsp ground turmeric
    1/8 – 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    2 tbsp vegetable oil
    about 1/2 tsp salt
    2 tbsp ghee
    1/2 tsp cumin seeds
    1 whole hot dried red chilli (optional)

1. Put dal into a bowl. Pour about 900ml (1 1/2 pints) of water over it and let it soak for 3 hours. Drain.
    2. Combine the coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and 1 tbsp water.
    3. Heat the oil in a heavy pan over a medium flame. When it is hot, put in the spice mixture and stir once. Quickly put in the drained dal. Stir to mix. Add the salt and the remaining 250ml (8 fl oz)water. Bring to a boil. Cover tightly, turn the heat to very low and cook for 15 minutes. The dal grains should now be quite tender.
    Just before you sit down to eat, put the hot moong dal into a serving bowl. Heat the ghee in a small saucepan or a small frying pan. When it is very hot, put in the whole cumin seeds. let them sizzle for a few seconds. Now put in the whole chilli and stir it around for 2 – 3 seconds – it should puff up and darken. Now put the ghee and spices over the cooked dal. You may stir to mix, or keep the spices on top as a kind of garnish.
    Don’t eat the whole chilli (unless you know what you are doing!)

Serves 4 – 6
    This keeps several days in the fridge, and can be frozen.

Madhur likes sprinkling it with crisp fried onion slices before eating.

Hi Cinque,

I love legumes of all varieties so will look forward to more recipes.
    We use them in Hungarian cooking, but I have never worked out the calories. I just know that Hungarian cooking (the traditional way) is not conducive to weight loss. So would have to modify 🙂

Coast

Hi Coast,
    A new recipe coming up!
    I don’t know much about Hungarian food; I bet there are some excellent bean stews in there though! I might have to do a bit of research! Always glad to widen my bean horizons! If you think of one that would go well here, do please put it up!

This week I am adding a black-eyed bean recipe or, as some people call it, a black-eyed pea recipe!

I looked for a bit of information to share about them, and their nutrition, and found this excellent piece: http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-nutrition-of-black-eyed-peas.html (US based)

Black-eyed peas get their names from their characteristic appearance. They are white legumes with a small black dot resembling an eye. These delicious beans are well known in Southern and Southwestern cooking, but the nutrition of the black-eyed pea makes it an excellent addition to any menu.

Black-Eyed Peas and the Food Guide Pyramid

Although the black-eyed pea is a plant food, on the Food Guide Pyramid, created by the United States Department of Agriculture, the bean is included in the “Meat and Beans” section because it can be used as a protein source instead of an animal food. In fact, many vegetarians use legumes to substitute for meat when planning meals. One serving of black-eyed peas is equal to one-half cup.

Calories

One serving of black-eyed peas contains 70 calories, making it a low-calorie option when served without additional condiments. The majority of calories comes from carbohydrate sources (16 grams). Each serving also contains three grams of protein. The beans do not contain any fat or cholesterol.

Fiber

As with all legumes, black-eyed peas are very good fiber sources, providing 4 grams or 16% of the recommended daily value. There are two types of dietary fiber: soluble and insoluble. Beans contain mostly soluble fiber, which can help decrease blood cholesterol levels and therefore may help reduce the risk of heart disease. Soluble fiber may also help patients with diabetes maintain improved blood sugar levels because the fiber helps to slow the rate of absorption of carbohydrate.

Vitamins and Minerals

Black-eyed peas are especially rich sources of potassium. This mineral is important for the proper function of all cells, tissues and organs in the body. It is also crucial for heart function and plays a key role in muscle contraction. Healthy adults over the age of 19 need at least 2000 milligrams per day, and black-eyed peas provide over half that in one serving (1148 milligrams).

Black-eyed peas do contain a small amount of naturally occurring sodium: 48 milligrams. However, because of their other heart-healthy nutrients, legumes are encouraged for even those with cardiovascular disease or high blood pressure.

Zinc is another mineral found in black-eyed peas. Zinc is involved in many aspects of cellular metabolism, and is therefore essential for the immune function, protein synthesis, wound healing and healthy cell division. Black-eyed peas provide five of the 8-11 milligrams of zinc that is recommended each day by the Food and Nutrition Board of the Institutes of Medicine.

Most beans, including black-eyed peas, are a rich source of iron. Iron is an essential component of one of the proteins found in the red blood cells which carry oxygen to all body tissues. Black-eyed peas contain 6% of the daily value of iron in the form of non-heme iron. The peas also contain 1.3 milligrams of vitamin C which helps the body absorb non-heme iron.

This is another easy, tasty recipe. It comes from Madhur Jaffrey’s book “World Vegetarian” (Yes I am a fan of hers! 😉 )

BLACK-EYED BEANS WITH HERBS (from Syria)

1 1/2 cups of cooked black-eyed beans (= 1 tin!)

1 tbsp oil (I use olive oil), add to a good sized 🙂 saucepan and heat on medium
    1 dried red chili, add and stir, it will puff and darken
    3 cloves of garlic, minced, add and stir
    Next add:
    2 – 3 bay leaves
    1 tbsp chopped oregano
    1 1/2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
    1 tsp paprika
    1 good tsp salt
    plus the beans and 1 1/2 cups of water (350 ml or a little more)
    Stir, bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and simmer gently for 20 minutes. Check the seasoning, add a little more salt if needed. Serve hot.

Notes:
    Don’t eat the whole chili (unless you know what you are doing!), it is there to flavour everything else. Like the bay leaves: don’t eat them either.

I cook my black-eyed beans from dry. They are quick cooking, I don’t need to soak them and they still only take 8 minutes in the pressure cooker. I keep one and a half cups of the water I cooked them in, to use in the recipe.

If you don’t have a whole dried chili you can use a fresh one, or some cayenne that you can add with the paprika (maybe 1/4 tsp).

I often add chopped spinach or chard leaves to this recipe so that my greens are in with the beans!

This recipe will feed 3 or 4 people.

Had to come back and add this wonderful recipe I just found
    Hungarian Bean Goulash. Babgulyas. What a lovely hearty meal, full of veggies and beans and some meat too.
    http://treasuredhungarianfamilyrecipes3.com/blog/2013/07/12/hungarian-bean-goulash-soup-by-helen-m-radics/

WHOLE LENTIL DAL
    This is such a delicious dal, substantial and comforting.
    It is from Rafi Fernandez.
    Serves 4 – 6
    175g (6oz) (1 large cup) of whole lentils (green, brown, red or Puy!)
    50g (2oz) (1/4 or 1/3 cup) of split red lentils
    Wash the lentils and place in a large heavy pan.
    Add
    1 litre (4 cups) water
    1/2 tsp turmeric poder
    1 tsp cumin powder
    2 tsp coriander powder
    1 tsp chilli powder (cayenne)
    1 onion, finely spiced
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    a few curry leaves (if you have them)
    Bring to the boil and then simmer until the lentils are soft.
    Turn off heat
    The split lentils will be mushy.
    Mash gently with a potato masher or wooden spoon.
    Add
    2 tomatoes, quartered
    a handful of coriander leaves (if you like them)
    salt to taste
    and the juice of one or two lemons (to your taste)
    Heat 2 – 4 tbsp oil in a small frying pan
    Add
    1 tsp mustard seeds
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    a few curry leaves (if you have them!)
    Fry just until the seeds are popping
    Tip this over the dal.
    Excellent served with rice.

Dear Cinque. I love this thread, thank you. I’m contributing one of my favourite lunch boxes, it’s very simple
    Drained chick peas, drained sweetcorn, cold cooked green beans, peas and diced carrots, mix in equal tsps mayonnaise and plain yoghurt, then add either chopped hearts of palm, or chopped artichoke hearts in olive oil. Then some fresh basil if liked ( I do). You could add other things if you want, tuna? Chicken? But it is perfect for vegetarians as it is and vegans if you use vegan mayonnaise and vegan yoghurt. I love it 🙂

Madhur Jaffrey is fab. I have an ancient book of hers which is a replacement when it was reprinted as the original fell apart. Something like 85% of the population of India are Hindu and the majority are vegetarian so Indian cook books are an excellent source of vegetarian and vegan recipes and can all be adapted by cutting down on the amount of oil and using seasonal vegetables and spice quantities to suit individual tastes. My favourite FD dinner is vegetable curry, the version I have in the freezer at the moment contains green lentils, but I use chana (chick peas) and am going to try other types of peas and lentils in the future. Black eyed peas are fab and are used in the West Indian rice and peas so often served with curry goat. I’m thinking about a veg version of it ie using a Caribbean spice mix, adding the peas to it and cutting out the rice. I think that would work very well. If it is good I’ll post it.

Thanks Tessy, I am so happy to see someone else contribute here, and what a delicious lunchbox. I’m looking forward to trying it as a lovely meal during this hot weather we are having.

Ooh lovely to see your post too Amazon it came in while i was writing. I do hope your vegetarian West Indian recipe works, and comes here!
    Madhur Jaffrey has had an enormous effect on my cooking, all good!

My friends love being invited round here for an Indian meal and I love cooking it and the way the flavours change and develop with the addition of each ingredient. I’ve been to India three times and the food is always a highlight and a source of inspiration as there are so many more vegetarian options on the menus than in restaurant here which are adapted to UK meat eating habits.

Thanks for these recipes! I am loving lentils thanks to Annette52. I modified this NY Times recipe, subbing 1/2 cup dry lentils for half the potatoes (I think the cals work out about the same). It was delicious, even omitting several peppers/spice ingreds I didn’t have on hand. Wish I could post the photo – the baked eggs on top make a lovely presentation.

Indian-Spiced Tomato & Egg Casserole – 6 servings, 280 cals per serv
    Ingredients
    • 1 ½ pounds fingerling potatoes (or 3/4 lb new potato + 1/2 c dry lentils)
    • Kosher salt
    • ¼ cup olive oil
    • 1 yellow onion, diced
    • 1 poblano pepper, seeded if desired, finely chopped
    • 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded if desired, finely chopped
    • 2 tablespoons finely chopped peeled ginger
    • 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1 teaspoon ground garam masala
    • ½ teaspoon ground coriander
    • 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
    • ¼ cup chopped fresh mint, more for garnish
    • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro or basil, more for garnish
    • 6 eggs
    • Black pepper, as needed
    Preparation
    1. Place potatoes (and lentils) in a large pot and cover with generously salted water. Bring to a boil; cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. When just cool enough to handle, slice into 1/2-inch-thick rounds (and strain lentils).
    2. While potatoes cook, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until almost tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in peppers and cook 3 minutes. Add ginger, garlic, cumin, garam masala and coriander; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Simmer over medium-low heat, breaking up tomatoes with a fork, 15 minutes. Stir in mint and cilantro or basil – and cooked lentils! Taste and adjust seasonings.
    3. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Place potatoes in a single layer in a 9-inch-square baking dish. Pour the hot tomato sauce over potatoes. Transfer pan to oven and bake 20 minutes.
    4. Make six wells in the tomato mixture. Crack eggs into wells and season with salt and pepper. Bake until egg whites are set but yolks are still runny, 8 to 13 minutes, depending on how much the potatoes and sauce cooled before baking (I had to cook a bit longer).
    Serve garnished with herbs.

Hi JadeLark,
    What a great idea to sneak lentils into recipes like that! They would add such flavour and texture too! Yum!

Amazon, how wonderful to have been able to visit India three times! When I was vegetarian (for over two decades) Indian Vegetarian Cuisine was the main part of my diet. So delicious, and clever and, as you say, layer upon layer of flavour.
    I still rely on it so much, although I am currently having a love affair with Middle Eastern meals. Still lots of legumes! 😉

For those of you with a pressure cooker, or the power to translate a pressure cooker recipe into a normal saucepan!
    SWEET POTATO AND BLACK-EYED BEANS ONE POT MEAL
    http://www.hippressurecooking.com/sweet-potato-and-black-eyed-peas-one-pot-meal/

I haven’t tried this one, but only had to look at the recipe to get my mouth watering.

SPICY MEXICAN BLACK BEAN SOUP
    http://jasmincharlotte.com/2015/10/jc-cooks-spicy-mexican-black-bean-soup/

I LOVE beans. But I am carbohydrate intolerant.

I do have a recipe which has been a favourite in our family for almost 50 years. I remember well the day that my son, 3 years of age and never eaten beans before, when called into dinner, ran, yelling “Having beans!”

Baked Beans

smoked ham bone, bacon, salt pork or pork hock or trotter
    navy beans – 2-3 cups
    2 Tablespoons blackstrap molasses
    1onion sliced
    water to cover
    1 Tablespoon dried mustard
    water to cover
    salt and pepper

May add tomato – a can of diced tomato or a squirt of ketchup

If you soak the beans first, it will take less time to cook.

Bake in oven all day till done.

Cinque – what is ras en hanout? I assume it is a spice mixture but what is in it? I have never heard of it.

Hi PJBR,
    What a lovely recipe. Much less sugar in it than the baked beans recipes I have seen. Great for winter. So glad to have it on this thread. I’d like to try it when my granddaughter is here!

Ras el hanout is a Moroccan spice mix. I find it very handy. There are lots of different recipes, but I use the one from Greg Malouf, which the internet has conveniently got on a page: https://cooked.com/uk/Greg-Malouf/Hardie-Grant-Books/Moorish/Dry-mixed-spices/Ras-al-hanout-recipe
    I make double and leave out the sugar (and find it lasts more than 3 months).
    It can be added to stews, or sprinkled on meat of veggies before roasting, and of course there are heaps of Moroccan recipes that use it.

Here is the info in that link:
    A secret blend of herbs and spices from Morocco. Every spice vendor has his own ras al hanout blends, which vary in price according to the scarcity of the ingredients. The most prized and exotic blends can include thirty or more spices, plant roots and other unusual aromatics. For daily use, cooks tend to use a humbler blend similar to the one below. Use ras al hanout in soups and tagines, with rice and couscous, or mix it with a little oil and rub onto meat or poultry as a marinade.
    Ingredients
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    1 teaspoon coriander seeds
    6 cardamom pods, seeds only
    1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
    1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns
    2 teaspoons sweet paprika
    1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
    1 teaspoon turmeric
    1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon sugar
    1/2 teaspoon allspice
    Method

Lightly roast and finely grind the cumin, coriander, cardamom, fennel and peppercorns, then sieve to remove the husks. Mix with the rest of the ingredients and store in an airtight jar. The mixture keeps well for up to 3 months.

Even though this is long, it is easy! Also easily adaptable eg if you don’t like coriander leaves (cilantro) leave them out.

RECIPE: MOROCCAN LENTILS

Place in a saucepan:
    1 1/2 cups of whole dry lentils
    4 cloves, stuck in an onion
    2 bay leaves
    2 inch piece of lemon peel (no pith)

Cover by 2 inches of water, bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer, and cook gently for 20 – 30 minutes, until the lentils are done. Discard onion, lemon peel, bay, and drain off water. Set aside.

Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a medium pan.

Add:
    I large onion, chopped finely, fry gently until soft

Then add:
    3 garlic cloves, minced
    2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or equivalent from tin)
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1/2 tsp ground turmeric
    1/2 tsp sweet paprika
    1/4 tsp cayenne powder

Gently fry for about three minutes.

Add the lentils with
    1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
    1/4 cup chopped parsley leaves

Stir, cooking 2 minutes

Season with salt and pepper and 1 – 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (to taste)

Serve garnished with lemon wedges.

A wonderful Bean resource: http://beaninstitute.com/

2016 International Year of Beans and Lentils
    http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=52505#.VrJzUtApqIM

You know that liquid from that can of chick peas you opened and poured down the drain? Turns out it’s great for making meringues, cakes, and all sorts of whipped goodness. Post your trials, tribulations, and questions here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/aquafaba

My girlfriend discovered that trick (via the net) a few months ago and it works amazingly well.
    We’ve also started eating a lot more beans and pulses with a little help from some excellent cookbooks.

I never thought I’d enjoy green lentil salad but I’m a convert.

Hi Heron, That aquafaba seems wonderful for people who can’t have eggs!

And green lentil salad. Yum, I bet it has a lovely lemony dressing. 🙂

This is great! Beans have been mainstays in my diet for about 3 years now. They help me feel satisfied and they taste so good.

Here is a favorite. It’s good as an accompaniment for other curries or Indian dishes. It’s also great as a vegetarian main dish. And leftovers are equally good cold.

The ingredient list is long but I’ve never found anything to be difficult to find or expensive and then combine quickly and easily.

Red Lentil Curry
    Serving Size: 8

• 2 cups red lentils
    • 1 large onion, diced
    • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    • 2 tablespoons curry paste
    • 1 tablespoon curry powder
    • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1 teaspoon chili powder
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • 1 teaspoon white sugar
    • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
    • 1 teaspoon ginger root, minced
    • 1 (14.25 ounce) can tomato puree

1. Wash the lentils in cold water until the water runs clear (this is a very important step; don’t skip or shortchange it or the lentils will clump together and release a less than pleasant froth layer), put the lentils in a pot with chicken broth to cover and simmer covered until lentils tender (add more water if necessary).

2. While the lentils are cooking, in a large skillet or saucepan, caramelize the onions in vegetable oil.

3. While the onions are cooking, combine the curry paste, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, salt, sugar, garlic, and ginger in a mixing bowl. Mix well. When the onions are cooked, add the curry mixture (it isn’t necessary to add it all if you want less spicy; you can always add more later) to the onions and cook over a high heat stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes.

4. Stir in the tomato puree and some coconut milk and reduce heat, allow the curry base to simmer until the lentils are ready.

5. When the lentils are tender drain them briefly (they should have absorbed most of the water but you don’t want the curry to be too sloppy). Mix the curry base into the lentils and serve immediately.

Here’s one more. I got this recipe from Williams-Sonoma (a kitcheware retailer) originally. I’ve modified it to suit my own tastes and don’t remember which thing are theirs and which are mine anymore.

I don’t like to be assaulted by my food so I diligently clean all the ribs and seeds from my jalapeños. If you want some heat leave in as much or as little of that stuff as you like ’cause that’s where the heat comes from.

Make this one ahead of time. The flavor gets richer as it sits.

Chickpea & Sweet Potato Curry
    Serving Size: 4

• 2 tablespoons canola oil
    • 1 small onion, chopped
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1 tablespoon ginger, chopped
    • 1 jalapeño chile, cleaned and finely chopped
    • 1 tablespoon curry powder
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
    • salt and freshly ground pepper
    • 1 large sweet potato , peeled and cut into 1/2″ cubes
    • 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    • 1 14-oz. can coconut milk
    • 1/2 cup water
    • 1 cup cauliflower florets , bite-sized pieces
    • 3/4 cup frozen peas
    • 1/2 cup canned diced tomato pieces, drained
    • 2 tablespoons cashews, chopped, for garnish
    • 1 tablespoon cilantro, leaves only, chopped, for garnish

Make the curry base:

1. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the oil. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and chile and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 4 minutes. Stir in the spices and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Cook the vegetables:

2. Add the sweet potato, chickpeas, coconut milk and water to the pan. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Raise the heat to medium-high, bring just to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the sweet potato is tender, about 10 minutes. Add the cauliflower and cook for about 5 more minutes. Add the peas and tomato and cook until heated through and the liquid is reduced to a thick sauce.

5. Serve in bowls, over rice if desired, sprinkled with parsley and cashews for garnish.

Oh yum Chubster! Thanks for posting! I think the chickpea and sweet potato curry will be made here soon!

I usually cook my own beans because they’re so much cheaper that way, I can season them the way I like and I can cook them to al dente which I find so much more satisfying than the overcooked canned ones. I’ve always done them the traditional way: soak, fresh water, cook slow on the stovetop.

A couple weeks ago a friend told me about a new method I sorta poo-pooed (cause I’ve done them my way for so long). Then Sunday I thought I really should give it a try and it was easy and great.

You put everything in a large, heavy, lidded pot: dried beans, water, whatever herbs & seasoning you want, whatever aromatics (onions, garlic, carrots, celery, whatever you want) AND salt — definitely salt along with the dry beans. Then put on the lid and put it in a 300 degree F oven

Start checking them at 60 minutes. My garbanzos took about 80 minutes but timing will vary based on the size and age of your beans. They will cook to a lovely al dente tender without much of your time or attention and they’ll be well flavored. Easy peasey!

That recipes makes me think of a winters day Chubster. Lovely, comforting, mouthwatering.

I saw this recipe today and had to share it here for that special treat day that we have every now and then!

No Flour Black Bean Brownies
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/09/06/no-flour-black-bean-brownies/

Thanks to Audrey for her recipe:

Audrey’s slow cooker chilli… ( can be cooked in oven on low)

500g of very lean minced beef or turkey mince
    1 onion diced
    2 celery stalks diced
    1 pepper diced
    250g mushrooms chopped up
    1 jar passata
    1 tins kidney beans with the liquid
    1 tin mixed beans with liquid
    1 tin barlotti beans drained
    Chilli powder I use the mild one about 1 tsp…
    Pinch of salt
    Garlic powder, basil, oregano and black pepper

Fry mince, drain, put in slow cooker
    Throw all other ingredients on top, mix it in
    Sprinkle with herbs and garlic etc
    Cook on slow for 8 hrs….

Easy peasy recipe, freezes great. … can be served with brown rice, bare naked noodles or salad or jacket potatoes.

Let me know if you make it. ..it’s low calorie because it’s full of beans and vegetables, feel free to change if you don’t like any of them….

I love my slow cooker because it’s easy cooking. …

Audrey

There are claims that these are more delicious than meat burgers!

BLACK BEAN BURGERS
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/85452/homemade-black-bean-veggie-burgers/

This will be dinner tomorrow night. The recipe makes a lot but the soup keeps for several days and if you freeze your leftovers you have a ready made meal. In the summer it’s very refreshing served cold.

It’s nice with naan if you eat bread.

Mulligatawny Soup

• 2 tablespoon ghee or canola oil
    • 1 large onion, chopped
    • 3 tablespoon fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
    • 1 jalapeõ chile, stemmed, seeded and chopped (taking out the seeds and ribs eliminates the heat but still provides the flavor)
    • 1 tablespoon ground corriander
    • 6 clove garlic, chopped
    • 2 tablespoon ground cumin
    • 1 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    • 1/4 cup all purpose or garbanzo flour
    • 1 3/4 cup red lentils
    • 9 cup chicken stock
    • 3 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
    • 1 cup low-fat unsweetened coconut milk
    • 2 teaspoon kosher salt
    • 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
    • freshly ground pepper

Directions:

1. Heat the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, ginger and jalapeño and cook, stirring, until browned, about 12 minutes. Lower the heat to medium, stir in the garlic, coriander, cumin and turmeric. Cook until fragrant, stirring, for 45 seconds. Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute more.

2. Pour in about 2 cups of broth and cook with the veggie until they’re soft. Using a stick blender, whirl until as smooth as possible. Add the rest of the broth and bring to a boil while whisking constantly. Add the lentils to the thickened broth, lower the heat and simmer, covered, until very tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool a bit.

3. When the lentil mixture has cooled some, puree until smooth using an immersion blender. Stir in the cilantro. Return to the heat and bring back to a medium temperature.

4. Whisk in the coconut milk, lemon juice, and salt. Season to taste with pepper.

I’ve never seen a blended version of mulligatawny soup before Chubster, it looks delicious and elegant and I would love a bowl right now!

It’s cold and rainy here in the Pacific Northwest and mulligatawny is *exactly* what we’re having for dinner.

It’s isn’t a smoothly puréed soup. Just the aromatic veggies get blended. Then I let the lentils cook down so they break apart on their own to a textured soup.

I really like that recipe a lot!

We’ll have it with muhammara that my husband will have on naan. Muhammara doesn’t have any beans in it but it’s also a yummy healthy thing so if you think you’d like to try it, here is a link to the recipe: http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/muhammara-shop

I don’t have all the ingredients to make it today, Chubster, but I am going to use it as inspiration for my fast day soup. 🍲😊

Mmm yum, I do know muhammara, 😋

Australia’s 2016 Year of The Pulse – Pulse recipes
    http://www.pulseaus.com.au/using-pulses/pulse-recipes

I don’t think I’ve shared this one yet but it’s soooo yummy I wouldn’t want anyone to miss it. The secret is a nice thick bowl of beans cooked until they fall apart with a sweet sour accent.

I just finished some for lunch and, man!, am I fortified for the rest of the day.

Cuban Style Black Bean Soup

Serving Size: 8

Summary:

This is an interpretation of a Cuban recipe. I’ve modified the kitchn’s recipe according to the comments of some Cuban readers. Apparently, a proper Cuban uses ham hocks with red bean soup but not black bean soup. Still, it sounds so good and I love black beans so I left them in.

Another thing they all noted is that it should begin with a proper sofrito and have cumin and oregano. Some say cilantro is Mexican and not Cuban. And many said no peppers because heat is not a feature of Cuban food. I added jalapeño but I’m careful to eliminate the heat by seeding and deveining the flesh first.

Cubans serve this with white rice and the soup is poured over it.

In the future if I go more “style” than “Cuban” diced tomato and a bit of dark beer sound like potential additions to me.

SOFRITO
    • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
    • 2 tablespoons olive oil
    • 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
    • 1 jalapeño, seeded, de-veined and finely minced
    • 3 cloves garlic, minced
    • 1-2 teaspoons cumin

SOUP
    • 1/4 cup olive oil
    • 1 ham bone, smoked ham hock or shank
    • 1-2 teaspoons oregano
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 1 teaspoon sugar
    • 1/3 cup vinegar
    • salt and freshly-ground black pepper
    • 1 lb. dried black beans
    • sofrito

GARNISH
    • sour cream
    • raw onion, chopped
    • raw red pepper, chopped

The night before cooking the soup, place beans in a colander and wash them with cold running water. Pick out any rocks or beans that are broken or shriveled. Put the beans in a large (4 quarts or larger) Dutch oven or soup pot with a lid and cover with enough cold water so that it comes to one inch over the top of the beans. Soak overnight.

SOFRITO

Carefully seed and de-vein the jalapeño. Finely chop the onion, peppers and garlic. A slap chopper makes quick work of this step.

Warm the olive oil. Add the vegetables and the cumin and sauté until fragrant.

SOUP

Bring the pre-soaked beans to a boil over high heat, adding additional water if necessary. Skim off any white foam, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Add the sofrito, ham bone or shank, oregano, bay leaves, sugar, olive oil and salt and pepper and cover.

Simmer for 4-5 hours, checking at 2 hours to see if the liquid needs adjusting to keep the beans from drying out.

Continue simmering until the beans are largely broken down, the soup is velvety and coats the back of a spoon. Remove bones. If they were meaty, clean the fat from the meat and the meat from the bone. Chop the meat and return it to the soup.

Taste and add the vinegar to taste also adjusting the salt and pepper and the sugar if need be for a full balanced flavor. Simmer for 15 more minutes to let the favors meld.

Serve allowing everyone to add onions, red pepper and sour cream to taste as a garnish.

Notes: the kitchn’s original version is here: http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-cuban-black-bean-soup-98048

Chubster, that soup has my mouth watering! I’m out of black beans at the moment, but I am looking forward to buying everything I need to make it!

I recently bought Nita Mehta’s Dal and Roti. A small cookery book but packed with simple lentil (and bread) recipes, once you get your head around the multiple names used for Indian beans and lentils.

Hi Cinque!
    I’m so happy to have found this forum. Thank you for providing these fantastic legume recipes!

This is a brilliant thread, beans are so underrated these days but really tasty, good for you and economical (especially if you soak and cook your own rather than canned).

Here’s a type of vegetarian goulash I’ve used for years. I put it on the other bean thread but this is its proper home. You can add meat if you like. Butter beans are higher carb and lower protein than other beans, the potato of the bean world! No recipe list as it’s a throw-in style of cooking. I first used it in a bedsit where I only had one cooking ring (and a low budget!)

Soak some soy beans and some chick peas or butter beans (a more floury texture) overnight ( beans total approx 6oz, dry weight, but it’s flexible). Simmer in fresh water very gently until the beans are soft. If using butter beans this doesn’t take long, the other two may be half an hour to an hour. Sauté an onion in butter or olive oil, then add other vegetables of your choice. I use garlic, a couple of sticks chopped celery, green or red sweet peppers and anything else in the fridge that I fancy eg green beans, chopped fennel or celeriac root. Stir them round well in the oil, then add a couple of teaspoons ground paprika, stir gently in the oil for about half a minute, then add a large can or carton of chopped tomatoes and their juice. If you like the flavour, add some caraway seeds for an authentic goulash taste, and if you enjoy smokiness a bit of smoked paprika is good. Then put in your beans of choice and cook gently till the veg are soft. Add salt and pepper to taste. If you aren’t vegetarian you could add meat, putting it in the oil after the onions, but it doesn’t need it.

Oh, other things that are nice in the above recipe are carrots and fresh beetroot. One or two of the latter peeled and chopped add a great colour!

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 151 total)

You must be logged in to reply.