Austrian Diary

This topic contains 109 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Fuvvie 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 110 total)

• Okay, I am a lifelong diarist and can’t but take notes of what’s happening, and for my “weightloss journey” (how I hate that expression!) I’ll do it here, hoping to get some insights and encouragement from other members now and then.

I am (I think) at week three of 5:2, and things are going well. I am using fddb info (a German site) to add up all the calories and to keep track of my weight, and I am now at 96.6 kilos as opposed to slightly over 100 kilos when I started. This is very encouraging indeed.

While doing 5:2 to lose weight, I am trying to get as much information as I can about successful weightloss – because we all know that people, most people, tend to regain what they’ve lost, so I think the only thing that can protect me in this respect is lots of knowledge, and lots of self-reflection.
    The most important things I’ve learned so far is:

– keeping weight off is darnedly difficult. I myself have gone on diets twice and regained moderate amounts back -the second time on a LCHF diet, which made me feel very good, and then I got pregnant, got sick at the sight of a protein and could only eat processed carbohydrates for seven months. While loathing them. Oh the fun!

– it is not impossible, but requires a lot of effort, planning and determination (the wonderful author of justmaintaining.com, whom you can’t but admire, compares her weight management to another unpaid part-time job.)

– carbs are a problem, especially the highly processed ones, “empty calories” one and all. But people’s sensitivity to carbs varies. I think I am somewhat sensitive to them, I usually eat a low carb diet and don’t have lots of cravings, but when I start on sugary stuff or bread, I can’t stop myself. My mother, bless her endless optimism, says “Well, you just eat a piece of chocolate and then you put it away, I don’t know what’s so difficult about it.” I hate that kind of advice by now – well-meaning slim people of the “I don’t know, I can eat everyhing without gaining weight, what is all this obesity about?” variety, who give overweight people advice based on their – enviable – situation. I can’t have a piece of chocolate and put the rest away. I can have a piece of chocolate and then the whole bar. And for this very reason my life hack concerning sweets is: Do not have them at home. Ever. If you must, buy a little and eat it as a meal. It’s not perfect, but then WHAT is in this dismal vale of tears etc. etc.?

– Calories in, calories out is NOT sufficient, since the body is way more complex than that. Calorie reduction over a period of time is not sustainable and will lower the body’s basal metabolic rate, so if you start to eat “normally”, you will gain everything back. So, you can’t just lose the weight and go back to whatever you ate before. Science doesn’t know a lot about weightloss, and much of the information is based on studies that are not good science (i.e. small sample, questionable setup). -> Consequence: one has to cobble together one’s own weight management thingie, based on individual experience, whatever scientific knowledge there is, and possibly huge bucketfuls of the Grace of God.

I’ll stop writing here because a) this is a monster post, nothing of which is remotely new or insightful and b) I need to find out where to buy sun protection for my south facing balcony. Last summer, the second warmest since they started writing down such things, was a drag. I cannot, can NOT go through this kind of torture again. Last summer I could step on the tiles of the balcony until 10 am. Then I burned the soles of my feet. Awful. So good bye and good luck with your various fasting plans.

Austrian,

Some reading matter for you…Dr. Fung….on the web….some interesting facts on weight and why we can’t lose it….he is a great believer in fasting.

Good luck

Jean

Hi Jean,

thanks for the info – I started reading Dr. Fung’s blog a couple of days ago, and I found it absolutely riveting. SO interesting, I spent most of my biology lessons at school writing secret messages to my friends, I’m absolutely clueless as to the workings of the human body (can’t even remember sex education, must have bored me, too.).
    What he says about insulin and insulin resistance makes absolute sense to me, before I found 5:2 I had already stopped snacking an had already lost a little weight and it just felt GOOD and somehow right for my body.
    At the moment I’m reading his series on hormonal obesity, I suppose fasting’s to be explained later. I believe he is in favour of really LONG fasts, isn’t he?

Good luck to you, too!

Austrian

Yesterday I stopped my fast day in the evening because I felt a migraine coming on – may have been caused by not doing enough exercises for the back/spine, but also form not eating. I rarely have migraines, but when I do, I get the really bad version where the light hurts your eyes and you end up vomiting and going to bed.

I decided not to beat myself up over it, and didn’t.
    Knowing myself, I am aware that I need to find a right balance between a relaxed attitude and strictness with myself.
    I know and accept that to lose weight and, more importantly, keep it off, I can’t do a diet for a limited duration. I need to build habits that can be kept for decades. If I am super strict and turn every aborted FD into a dramatic interior monologue about being a worthless loser, I am going to fail. But if I am too lenient and shrug my shoulders, saying “Oh it doesn’t matter, there are other fast days to come…” I might fail, too.
    So I’m a bit baffled about how to handle this problem.

How nice to find that you have a thread I can visit!

Austrian, I welcome a fellow observer of life. If the fun is in the journey more than the destination, we ought to be set for a life of entertainment. Let’s find some of that balance we both seek and thumb our noses at those pesky carbs.

On the days after my first two fasts I experienced the warning signs of a migraine which didn’t develop. (Mine are much milder than yours. I haven’t had anything like it since.) Had I been in your place, I would have done as you did — so I’m glad you didn’t beat yourself up over it.

You made the best choice for the moment. That’s not being lenient — that’s taking care of yourself. You now go forward, observant, adjusting where you see need as soon as you are willing to do so, gaining confidence through practice.

You are so right — slow and steady WILL win this race.

Hi Lolly, and thanks for your encouraging words.
    You’re right, take care of yourself should be the watchword. What I (and I suspect many 5:2ers) must rethink is HOW to take care of ourselves. When depressed – long walks, not chocolate truffles; when breakfasting – small portion of fruit with flaxseed and curds, not nutella on toast. And so on.

[RANT TO FOLLOW, do not read if you don’t want to waste time, it’s just for me to get it off my chest.]
    I just read an article about the “obesity epidemic” (please, don’t get me started) and most of the readers’ comments left me livid. Some readers of this quality newspaper felt the need to tell the world how disgusted they are with greedy fat people, but most piped up with sensible advice à la “fat people need to eat less and do more sports”.
    Really, people. Why don’t you go and market your guaranteed-to-win formula on how to overcome alcoholism (“You need to stop drinking.”) and drug addiction (“You need to stop using drugs and solve your problems in more constructive way.”).

Yes, I agree, I need to eat less and do more sports.
    But this is such an oversimplified statement as opposed to the multifaceted, complex problem of obesity.
    There is a cultural dimension (we haven’T had time to adjust to a consumer society with its endless supply of cheap calories); a social dimension; poverty/wealth divide (food deserts in poorer areas come to mind); insuline and cortisol; gut bacteria; satiety (carbs vs. proteins); endoctrine responses and so on and so forth.
    And readers are convinced that such an issue can be tackled by telling overweight people to eat less and do more sports. Now listen up, moron readers of said quality newspaper: if it were THAT simple, WOULD there be many overweight people? What do you think?
    – – – – – – – – –
    EXACTLY.

Thank you.
    [END OF RANT.]

Applause for a most excellent rant!

I have noticed with a great deal of alarm the increasing tolerance for “fat shaming”. No longer can you be offensive — and quite a good thing, too — about race, creed or gender. But it’s apparently quite alright to be vicious to the overweight. (Possibly because we can’t run fast enough to escape or catch them.) There always has to be someone for bullies to pick on, and now that smokers have been publicly smacked into submission, we’re the next visible fair game.

So, let me get a pencil and write this down: “eat… less… and… do… more… sports…” Got it! If only I’d known how simple this was going to be. I feel better already. 🙂

Lolly, SO glad I could point you in the right direction…and now we can all close down this forum and be any size we want, isn’t it great?

*sarcasm and bitter laughs off

Today is my first fast day of the week – for some reason I am extremely insecure, doubting that I will be able to pull it off. I don’t quite know why as I did all the fast days before the last two weeks perfectly. In the week leading up to Easter I did one fast day and just failed abysmally on the other (hello, clever idea of making salted caramel candy and not eating any myself), last week I did one perfectly and then stopped the other in the evening as I had a migraine coming on – so, justifiably. So I need to remind myself (and am doing it here) that I actually CAN do fast days and there is no need to be so, I don’t know, nervous about it. And even IF I should fail, it’s not the end of the world, there’s another opportunity just around the corner.
    Oh, I don’t know. Maybe the reason for all this dithering is that it is so important for me to lose weight, and to maintain weightloss, that I can’t bear the idea of failing, and that the chance of failing makes me nervous. I’m sure an attitude of quiet confidence and dignified calm (lol. SO not me.) would be more helpful.
    So.
    Breathe in.
    Breathe out.
    Be quietly confident and calm in a dignified way.
    There. Done.

Let’s see how many seconds it will last.

Oh, for an absolutely obscure reason I weighed 95.6 kilos this morning.
    Why?
    I visited lovely relations yesterday and ate cake in big quantities.
    How come I weigh 1 kilo LESS than the day before? After all that cake?
    Maybe I should add “weigh ONCE a week only” to my to do list
    (other item: Quiet confidence, dignified calm”)? Just to spare myself the roller-coaster upheaval of stepping on the scales every day?

Okay, hear the baby babbling in the other room – after a monster nap of 20 minutes. Yay. I forsee fussing in the near future, let me run and check on her.

Good luck to all of you, keep on keeping on!

Wouldn’t it be great if all I had to do it make the big realisations? Nothing but spectacular fireworks and days of wonder — what fun! Perhaps that’s what I was trying to do, with my “all treats, all the time” eating? I wanted to skip over the “boring” bits of life that everyone else had to do.

Failure on the weight loss front is a familiar, if not comfortable, habit. We KNOW how to do that one! On the other hand, we also are sure that we want weight loss and we now have a do-able method. We can succeed! Big cheers!!

But wait.

When my diets failed before, it was the diet’s fault for being unsustainable. If I fail at this, it would be MY fault! I’m going to fail! I always fail!

Then again…

What if I succeeded? Everything would be changed. I hate change! People would expect things from me. I’d have to be perfect and keep it up FOREVER.

My brain hurts.

Let us support each other as we dither our ways into brave new lands. Choosing new actions to old stimuli is how we build new habits. We will focus on today because it’s the only one we can change, and the changes we are making are the tiny brushstrokes of a masterpiece we can’t see until we stand back from a distance.

Feel the fear, do it anyway. (Oooo — I like that one!)

Isn’t the problem that in the media we are told again and again how easily we can override our body’s impulses and makeup – for instance: “do sports, and you will lose lots of weight”; turns out that the body uses most of the energy to maintain its normal functions (body heat etc.) and that only a small part of the energy is used for more or less vigorous movement. Or “8 weeks after giving birth to little Appleblossom Yoga Kendra, supermodel Lizzie de Laure has her pre-baby-body back. How does she do it? ‘Oh, I just eat a little less,’ she said while biting into a double whammy burger.” In the media, many weightloss plans look immensely doable – and people fail and fail and fail and just end up blaming themselves – while what really happened is that they were given crap information and crap programs to do.

But this, somehow, really looks doable…and the science makes sense.

Do you think we self-sabotage because we are afraid of succeeding? I’m not quite sure…although I did realize that I was a little spooked by that 95 kg on the scale because getting there was too easy…

Anyway, I had a ridiculously, embarrassingly relaxed and easy fast day yesterday, after all that useless bellyaching on Tuesday. I cruised through the day, had fat-free shakushka for lunch and green asparagus soup for dinner and ended at 501 calories.
    The scales gave me a thumbs up: 95.0 kilos. NIIICE!

So, tomorrow I’ve got to do the second fast day and guess what? A little voice in my head mutters: “But what if you fail? What if you can’t do it? What will that do to your self-confidence and feeling ofself-worth?”
    Oh DO shut up, little voice! It’s like being harrassed by Waldorf and Stetler in my own brain. Meh.

Reading during a meeting. Almost laughed out loud…particularly at Waldorf and Stetler

Sounds like an incredibly interesting meeting… 😉

And so I’ve done the second fast day pretty successfully, I think.

The morning was easy – I only had to survive a two-hour wait, pushing the pram about at the local strip mall, waiting for my car to be fitted with summer tyres.
    I cannot tell you how boring this was. Boring boring boring.

The worst bit was when I realized that the baby was about to fall asleep. When she is about to drop off, she starts singing a peculiar loud, searing, wailing siren song to herself (her voice sounding eerily like those in traditional Bulgarian women’s choirs). When she’s about to fall asleep, she is not to be disturbed, especially not by the lure of bright lights in shops, so I spent a good twenty minutes pushing the pram around a huge car park, while people looked curiously at me and my pram that emitted noises like a small diamond cutter.
    Then, after the baby had finally settled, I spent another 40 minutes pushing the pram through the garden center at the speed of a footsore snail. I love gardening, and I love plants, but after 40 minutes of staring at raspberry shrubs and flower pots, I felt that my brain was melting and dripping out of my ears. Do you know that for 20 Euros you get a knee-high fake pottery Chinese warrior figure to grace your flower bed. It’s true.
    In the Bad Old Days I would have bought 250 grams of bad, cloyingly sweet milk chocolate and eaten it just to have something to DO.

Anyway, I got the car, drove home, fed the baby carrots and then a really long afternoon began. The baby is really into gravity testing at this stage of her life, and she isn’t very mobile yet, so there was a lot of picking up gravity testing experiments and turning her either on her tummy or on her back. I love her to bits (precious, unexpected gift of my later years and so on blah di blah), but this was one. Long. Afternoon.
    In the Bad Old Days I would have eaten more chocholate.

Speaking of chocolate, I admittedly ate four squares of 71% cocoa solids chocolate, which pushed my calories to about 560, but think of all the chocolate I DIDN’T eat. This has to count for something.

Mr. Austrian is back from his business trip and we are currently competing for the Most Exhausted Grown-Up in this House award. Which means that if I go to bed now I win, and this is what I will do.

Hopefully the scales will be my BFF tomorrow morning, and hopefully yours will be, too.
    Good luck, everyone.

This sent me immediately to YouTube in search of Bulgarian women’s choirs and 5 seconds into the first one I was laughing out loud at the image you painted! She sounds quirky and adorable. 🙂

Yay for not climbing a chocolate mountain. We must all put our thinking caps on to help you find some survival strategies — boredom is a destroyer of sanity!

Lolly, she is, and she is SO relaxed and happy. It’s a joy to have her around.

And the scales say: 94.7.

YAY!!!
    Haven’t seen this number on the scales for a long time.

Congratulations! Isn’t it wonderful to convert the scale from enemy to friend? I’m so happy for you. 🙂

Hey, What happen?
    I was enjoying reading this diary, but it suddenly stops. Please continue.

Hi and welcome cold pizza, don’t worry, I just went offline for a week. 🙂

So…I am back from visiting my parents. I was planning on staying until Wednesday, but the whole thing was so enjoyable that I stayed the whole week. I don’t know about you, but I manage to enjoy my parents’ company and to love and respect them the more the older I get. I didn’t get on well with them in my early twenties – but now I realize that they are actually amazing people (warts and all).
    Anway.

My mother is amazingly inconsistent (and I am saying this in a very loving and slightly amused way) – is SO concerned about the obesity epidemic, but trieds to feed her overweight daughter (me) as if I had just escaped the Leningrad blockade.
    But finally, FINALLY, my strategy of friendly firmness seems to “take”. We did not have to do the “Have some cake!” – “Thanks, but no.” – Oh, do!” – “Thanks, but no!” – “Just a tiny bit!”-… charade ONCE. I even managed to do two improvised fast days without having them questioned (“Overweight people are SO undisciplined…you want to do a FAST DAY? BUT you can’t! It’s unhealthy!” Amazingly inconsistent. As I said.).

She (thin, BTW)is also the Queen of Carbs, while my (normal weight) father went to a lecture on the benefits of low carbs and then made up his own low carb diet which runs along the lines of “don’t eat beans, legumes, potatoes, rice, pasta – but hey, bread, cake, candy, wine and beer are okay”. It drives my mother nuts. But maybe that’s the whole point. They’ve been married for 45 years, they know each other’s triggers by now.

Anyway.
    I bought amazing breads and pastries at a local bakery and we had a carb-fest for breakfast/brunch. No lunch, then something salad-y for dinner. They have whole drawers of candy (thanks, dad) but for the first time ever I managed to eat a little and then walk away slowly with my hands up. I even managed to sneak a box of posh Ferrero Rocher my friend gave me into their candy drawer and left it there.

The reward for my overall smart and responsible behaviour was: 94.4 kilos when I came back home YAY YES WELL DONE APPLAUSE FIREWORKS and so on. Below the magic number of 95.0. HA.

Mr. Austrian is also back from his set of business trips, and as business trips seem to consist of long flights where they feed you, long meetings where they feed you, and long lunches where they feed you HE’s above the magic number of 95.0.
    This makes him nervous, which is a good thing, because if there is one male Austrian who definitely needs to lose weight, it’s him.
    a) because I love him and we are in the growing-old-together business
    b) because he has a similar build to his father, and his father had a heart attack a couple of years ago
    So I need to stick to 5:2 to encourage him to try out 5:2.

Okay, baby crying, need to run and check on her.

Enjoy your evenings, nights and days everyone.

Just checking in for a moment to sort myself out and point my compass in the right direction again, so to speak.
    This morning: 94.4, although I didn’t have a fast day yesterday. I just wasn’t hungry after lunch, had an avocado for dinner and that was it. Very good.

Today is an entirely different kettle of fish. It is a grey and rainy day, I didn’t sleep well, the baby didn’t nap more than fifteen minutes, Mr. Austrian and I went for a walk (with the baby in a sling on my back so she would fit underneath my big umbrella), ready to brave the elements.
    Sadly, the elements won, and we went home grumpily.

Oh, such a Terribly, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad day (okay, first world problem, but STILL), as a result of not getting enough exercise, my energy levels are very low and I feel myself wanting to sneak into the kitchen to raid it. This is where my policy not to keep any but the most boring foodstuffs at home pays! I could, theoretically, raid the fridge and eat, oh I don’t know, 10 carrots and a head of broccoli, but where’s the fun in that?
    As the least boring choice, I had bread and butter with honey, knowing full well that this was not a good idea, but somehow didn’t care. Some exhausted mommy persona in me said (in a suitably hoarse and hollow voice) “energyyyyyy, you will have to deal with a grumpy baby until seven pm, you need energyyyyy, eat that breeeeead and butter and hooooooney”. So I did.

Then I decided it might just be clever to get out of the kitchen PRONTO and think about my feelings here.
    Which I’ve just done.
    Thinking more clearly now, I think I need to get my energy levels up, so I’m going to use my break (Mr. Austrian went for a walk with the baby, as the weather is pretending that it isn’t raining…much…any more) and do a short sequence on fitness blender. I hope this will improve my mood as well, and make me getin tune with my body and understand what it needs again.

Okay, need to dash, thanks for listening, 5:2 forums!
    Have a lovely Sunday afternoon/evening everyone, and keep on keeping on!

Austrian, I’m so glad you’re back — you make me laugh with your word pictures!

My own kitchen is now a binger’s worst nightmare, lots of food but none of it labelled “TREAT”. I took everything I didn’t need to a food bank and felt relieved not to see it anymore. I also make sure that I do have an acceptable meal ready for a food emergency (!) but I have yet to call in the caloric paramedics.

Everything will look better after a decent night’s sleep. I swear!

Just confirming that I am still here lurking and enjoying. 🙂
    Congrats on new smaller number on your scale!
    Don’t want to ruin the lovely style of your thread, just would like to encourage you to continue posting and fasting.

Lolly, good idea to give it to the food bank – I read about this man who did not want to buy a new kitchen before he’d eaten all the food in the cupboards he had – he ate all kinds of crappy and crazy stuff for THREE MONTHS until the last can was gone. Your way is much better and more respectful to the body (“My body is not a waste disposal unit.”)

Cold pizza, thank you! 🙂

Today I cruised through a fast day; Monday makes a lot of sense, the week feels fresh and I have more of a can-do attitude than on Friday. The key to success is to keep myself busy, so I took the baby to the children’s library, which was lovely for us – lots of interesting things for her to watch, and a lot of fun for ME watching her. It’s like being out and about with someone who is high, she minutely examined a brick wall for five minutes and kept laughing loudly at such hilarious stuff as the sliding elevator doors and the rows of library shelves. 🙂

Mr. Austrian is getting interested despite himself, and actually wanted to eat some of my 5:2 asparagus soup instead of the usual midnight feast of bread and butter and cold cuts. I think reading the labels of the bread and sausage he bought came as something of a shock to him – both contained sugar.
    HA.

I’m signing off now, going to read a detective novel I got at the library and hoping I will stay strong and not add another calorie to my intake until breakfast.

Have a lovely evening, everyone.

It’s ridiculous, but I will admit that it wasn’t so easy to pack that box for the food bank. (A bit like taking clothes to the charity shop when they are too big, I imagine.) What did I think I was saving them for? But once I left the things and came home, I felt incredibly unburdened and much happier. And glad that someone else could use them. Even if I WAS poisoning them with sugar! *run away run away*

One woman’s poison is another person’s pleasure, right?
    HOpefully your sugary treats will go to someone who is as insensitive to carbs as a rhinoceros! One of those obnoxious people like my best friend, who eats and eats whole platters of the fattiest, sugariest, most deep-fried food you care to imagine – and who has still the figure of a half-starved waif from oneof the grimmer Grimms’ fairy tales. At age forty. *sigh

Anyway, 94.0 kilos. HA.

I thought a lot about my late grandmother, who was a marvellous cook, and my mother, who is a marvellous cook. The things they cook(ed) – I rarely make them any more. The thought that this culinary heritage will be lost makes me very sad – but then that’s life: you have to let go of so many things, let go, let go, let go. It’s the way life works, even if I will not fry potato dumpling dough cakes on my stove for my daughter.
    Actually, it may be a big problem (maybe not only for me) that good memories and food are so entwined – I can tell my daughter lots of wonderful things about her great-grandmother without mentioning on food at all. But when I think of her, so many of her old recipes come to mind, so many images of her in the kitchen, talking and brandishing a big knife to emphasize whatever she was talking about.

Anyway, be happy, all of you. And good luck with your plans for tomorrow.

Hurrah for 94 kg! Bring on the asparagus soup. (yum!)

My grandmothers were not particularly good cooks, but I never had reason to be grateful for that until now…

So…the result of this week’s fast days is 94.0 kilos.
    Am very pleased, although I wrecked yesterday’s fast day (blameless eating behavior until I learned that Prince had died, after which I felt strangely compelled to eat two cups of granola? What kind of weirdness is THIS? I am not even much of a fan.) and so didn’t push my weight below 94.0.
    It’s okay, though. I realize that there is not a specific deadline involved – I’ve got to keep IF up anyway, so if I mess up once in a while it’s not the end of the world.

Okay, baby’s woken up, bye bye everyone, have a great weekend.

Link to asparagus soup recipe please? Sounds lovely.
    Congrats on your new low number!

Asparagus soup – I sort of made it up and it’s a very basic non-gourmet version, but I’ll do my best.

I had 500 grams of green asparagus.
    Wash the asparagus and cut off the dried bits at the end of the spear and any hard or brown bits. If it’s green asparagus, you don’t have to peel it.
    Cut off the tips and steam them in very little water until they are tender.
    Cut the rest of the asparagus in relatively small bits. Cook about 250 ml of water. When soft, put in blender and blend until you have a purree without any coarse bits.
    Add 1-2 glasses of water, depending on how thick/thin you want your soup.
    Add stock cube to taste, bring soup to the boil, add 30 grams of cream.
    Taste, add salt, pepper, any other seasonings (I don’t add anything).
    When you’re satisfied with the taste, add asparagus tips and cooking liquid of tips.

Enjoy and look forward to asparagus-smelling pee later that night.

Thank you. Will try it.

5:2 really seems to reset appetite – I ate some walnuts today (okay, a handful), and after that just was full and couldn’t eat anything at all for several hours. The walnuts waved their little arms about and shouted “Here I am! Eat MEEEEE!”, but I just. Couldn’t.
    As I’ve always found it impossible to stop eating nuts, I’m pleasantly surprised. Something has definitely changed for the better.

Were the walnuts salted or unsalted? I read recently that it’s much harder to stop when nuts in general have been salted. It’s certainly easy for me to eat far too many cashews, either way!

Hi this is day one of 5/2 for me and decided to browse though the site. Came acrosss the forum and am so glad I did. Got to Austrian’s Mr Austrian has come home and nearly fell off my chair with mirth. Keep this up I think it is probably as good as excercise for weight loss. Think of all those tummy muscles working in laughter mode.

Lolly, they were plain nuts; I try to keep very far away from fat+salt/fat+sugar combinations, so no salted peanuts, cashews, and so on for me. I think the WORST combination is something like roasted nuts seasoned with honey and salt. Mr. Austrian bought a packet, which somehow fell into my hands and was, er, accidentally snarfed up by me. He is now under instructions to hide any snack food of that lethal kind.

AussieAustrian, welcome! How did your first day go? Are you an Austrian in Australia or the other way round?

This is going to be a long rambling post on sourdough starter, I merely mention this so any unfortunate reader can leave now before wasting precious minutes on reading about sourdough starter. His name is Johnny and he came to live with me last week.

The reason is that The Baby adores bread. She makes little blissful noises and shows the enthusiasm associated with the effects of some recreational drugs. True, she doesn’t eat it AS SUCH, but smears most of it either in her face or on the table, but still. If bread is her thing, so be it. But at least it should be as free of additives and sugar as possible, so I’ve got to make it myself.

So, I started a sourdough starter. You make a paste of ground wheat, spelt or rye and add water. Then you wait. If you are lucky, the right kind of yeast and bacteria will be fruitful and multiply and you will get sourdough starter after four days of feeding the paste. After two days of feeding, we had emotionally bonded. At least I had, I can’t tell about him, but in my case I guess it’s all the oxytocin left over from pregnancy and birth. I think I fell for his bubbly personality, his readiness to embrace change (twice a day in the form of 30 grams of ground spelt) and his can-do attitude. I mean, you add 30 grams of ground spelt to his jar and he multiplies in volume within two hours. You can’t say THAT about every ma…sorry, sourdough starter.
    Mr. Austrian, who after feeding him also grew attached to him, suggested we call him Johnny. So we did.
    After four days when I’d fed him for the last time and made sure he was warm and cosy, I glanced at him for the last time as he sat there gently frothing away in his little jam jar, and I surprised myself -honestly, it’s true – by softly saying “Good night, John-Boy” to him in the voice of Grandma Walton. Mr. Austrian, who had heard me, gave me a strange, hard to fathom look. There may have been pity in his eyes.

Anyway, on Sunday I prepared my first Johnny-based sourdough bread, baked it on Monday, and then proceeded to eat it for lunch and dinner, it was THAT good. The baby and I sat at the table, she with a tiny chunk of bread, I with a huge chunk of bread, both totally blissed out (I refrained from smearing it all over my face, though. Unlike her.). Seriously, it was a enough just to eat that bread.

The bad news: it completely threw my Monday’s fast day. The good news: I am now able to eat homemade rye and oat bread with the same abandon with which I would have binged on chocolate-y stuff three years ago. Yay.

So, and this is actually the point of this post, I did my fast day today, and it went well. It’s not yet an attitude as ingrained as brushing my teeth, but I’ve become fairly consistent – it’s just something I do. I think I can work on reducing my mini panic attacks (“I will fail! Oh no!!!!”) and just get on with it.
    This morning my weight was at 94.3, which is nice given that there was just a normal non-fasting weekend, so I hope to reach a new low tomorrow morning.

I think I will need to become far more strict with myself as my weightloss continues – TDEE will decrease and so on, but at the moment my relaxed approach works well – I must be using up huge amounts of calories carrying The Baby and being on my feet all day. I just need to remain vigilant as time passes.

Anyway, have a lovely evening all!

Hi love the post. My first day went really well. I lost 1.2kg which when you think about it is enormous for me. I have decided to just get the fasting over and done with and fast again today. I don’t know how that will go and if I’ll have the will power to go though with it but we will see tomorrow morning. In reply to your question I am an Austrian Australian. I came here with my family when I was only two.
    Hope Johnny keeps keeping on. Sounds like you have achieved sourdough making in one go. Well done.
    Hope you all have a great day.

AussieAustrian, 1.2 kg is amazing, great news! Don’t be disappointed if losses decrease, I read somewhere that 0.5 kg is the average weekly weight loss (or weight “release” as they call it on another thread).

Do you travel to Austria often? Quite a long way away from your place…I live in Bavaria now, not so far to go to visit parents and friends…
    This morning, Johnny was actually smelling strangely and strongly of vinegar, it seems I needed to get him out of the fridge and get him fed, which I have done. Now he’s bubbling away like mad but still smelling too vinegary, so need to repeat procedure. Oh well. At least I have a backup, should he croak.

BTW – 93.4 kg this morning. Not bad. Next fast day on Friday.

Cheers, everyone!

I need to decompress for a second, otherwise I’ll start eating something unhealthy. I think today is the first time in The Baby’s life when I’m actually stressed out – she has been sleeping badly for at least ten days, I’m very tired, and she loves bedtime as much as Saudi Arabia loves and applauds women drivers. Lots of thrashing and gnashing of teeth and grumpiness. I could feel my back muscles seizing up and my jaw muscles clenching, and unless I go and do a bit of yoga and meditation, I will go and try to relax by eating things…NOT a good idea.

While trying to relax, I came across a review of “Dietland” in the Guardian, which seems to be a novel with a fat heroine; fat acceptance seems to play an important role. Most of the readers’ comments are so dismal and disheartening, guaranteed to make you want to join a militant group, no matter which one.
    God, people are idiots. (“Stop drinking soda. That right there will eliminate 50% of the fat people.” – Stopping drinking soda is a good idea, but keeping away from oversimplfying matters is an even better idea. And “eliminate 50% of the fat people”? REALLY?)

Okay, NOW I feel up to tackling the rest of my evening – far from the maddening fridge, certainly. 🙂

So interesting to read about your adventures with Jon-Boy! I used to love to make bread until wheat became my enemy, but I never made a sourdough starter. And now I never will. Ah well. I daresay I ate my share and that of several small countries in my time, so I can’t really complain.

93.4 — congratulations! Slowly but surely we are winning this race.

You can always a life of sourdough adventures by living vicariously through mine – I’ll keep you up to date if there are any dramatic developments! 🙂

Actually John-Boy is an interesting example of the importance of nutrition.You feed him the correct amount at the correct time and he thrives – but WHAT is the correct amount and what is the correct time varies a bit from individual to individual. It takes experience, but also knowledge to get it right. You have to have a routine in place, but also be alert to unexpected changes.
    And sourdough is a simple organism – yeasts don’t have a difficult childhood and bacteria don’t turn to emotional binge eating because their husband left them for their best friend.
    After getting to know the intricacies of feeding John Boy, I have sworn to take good care of my gut bacteria – I wouldn’t want them to stop bubbling merrily and starting to smell like nail polish remover.

Hi, I did manage the second fast and have reaped the benefits another 1 kg off. I know that it will not be that quick next time around but you never know. I found the second day really tough but if the results are that good I may give it another go next week. I didnt mention that I started this 5/2 plan after 7 weeks of the 8 week blood sugar diet. I found the restrictive 800 daily calories just too much and started being really naughty craving and eating chocolate, bread, biscuits and I am not a sweet tooth.
    Congratulations on just keeping on keeping on.

Hi Austrian, how are you doing? Please do continue writing. I very much enjoy your diary. You have a real talent here. Did you grow up bilingual?
    Greetings from Karen

AussiAustrian, how are you getting on? Did you change from back to back fast days to another system? 800 cal sounds extremely tough if you’ve got to do it every day, congrats on toughing it out for 7 whole weeks!

Karen, glad you like reading here! No, I am not bilingual, but I’ve always had a talent for languages and I just love and adore the English language. How are you doing on 5:2?

This is just to say that I have been sick and we’re leaving for a family visit on Wednesday, so I guess I won’t be writing for the rest of the week.
    Baby still teething. Not a single night with uninterrupted sleep for 7 months, and I’m starting to feel very, very tired. Not likely to stop soon, though.
    Mr. Austrian is going to be on paternity leave in July and August, at least this will mean I can take glorious, long, wonderful, uninterrupted, blissful, delightful naps during daytime. Oh yes indeed.

Weight: 93.8 yesterday, 94.4 today, oh shoot. Too tired to care much, though.

Have a LOVELY week, everyone, take good care of yourselves and thank your bodies for all the wonderful work they do for you every day. Being on call 24/7 made me realize that our bodies are pretty marvellous.

I hope there will be a doting auntie/granny or two somewhere in that family visit who will adore to give you a sleep break! Have a lovely time, and be kind to yourself.

Hi Austrian,
    I am being sensible now and doing the fasts on different days. Tuesdays and I think Fridays. The back to back was actually not that bad it was the day after that was a disaster. It is my fast day today and I will have a Alaskan salmon base for my salad for lunch and dinner. I just won’t think about food. I read all the posts and I hope it gets easier.
    I agree with Karen you really do have a talent. Hope you feel better soon and family helps with your precious little one.
    Love your diary.
    Hope all are travelling well on the 5:2

Back from visiting the in-laws!

It was quite nice but oh boy am I glad to be back!
    For one thing, the in-laws live in a part of the country that has the most atrocious dialect imaginable. Other Austrians call their accent “barking”. Really, they do, and it’s entirely justified. At some times the in-laws remember that I am there and marginally tone down the accent, but when they forget (what with me being unobtrusive and keeping in the background), they start “barking” (i.e. they turn some of the vowels into diphtong sounds, hard to describe, hard to listen to) and use all sorts of quaint local words and I am like “WHAT? WHAT??? SAY AGAIN???? WHO killed himself and WHY? WHAT? WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?”. But I keep quiet because experience has taught me that their explanations, earnest and well-meaning, are given in the same barking tone with the same quaint local words no one has ever heard before and I just. Don’t. Get. It.
    Oh, and after three days Mr. Austrian returns to his roots and starts barking, too, which is very strange since he usually speaks with a northern German accent as a token of his success to escape from his village and, presumably, the barking and quaint local words.

But the barking can be avoided by sitting in a corner and being unobtrusive. The cooking can’t be avoided. My mother-in-law, though a lovely woman, hates cooking and has been forced to cook once a day for the last 50 years. She takes out her wrath on the innocent ingredients. Meat is fried within an inch of its life, potatoes are boiled into a gluey sludge that holds on to the bottom of the pot, vegetables are straw-colored and mushy. Dish 1 is oversalted. Dish 2 contains no salt whatsoever. Dish 3 is a trifle that tastes of sausage because it was kept in the fridge without a cover. Nobody except me seems to notice. My own grandmother was an even worse cook (renowned for a whitish, glistening cucumber sauce with camouflage coloured cucumber shreds in it. Cucumber sauce? I ask YOU!), but mother in law comes a close second.
    And the WORST, absolutely the WORST is that she belongs to the generation when housewives decided who had to eat what and you get whatever she deems appropriate for you. Now take a second and guess who might get the largest portion. Yes, indeed, it’s the GUESTS. Oh, how lucky lucky lucky we are!

So, getting home was a bit of a relief, and here I am, all 94.0 kilograms of me, and am planning to do a fast day on Wednesday and Friday. Please hold me accountable!

I hope you are all doing well – now I’m going to browse the forums to see what’s new! Keep on keeping on, everyone.

94.0 kilograms today, and I haven’t eaten anything so far.
    Basically because I am too lazy to add any food to my tracker; getting a bit hungry and headache-y, but I would like to keep up the fasting until the evening, then have a bigg(er) dinner and not be tempted to eat after that.
    I’ll drive to the library later and go for a walk in the city to keep myself occupied. Let’s see how that works out.

So, this is me being accountable – will be back later, hopefully with a success story to tell.

Hi Austrian,
    You commented on one of my comments on another thread and I came looking for you. I do enjoy your observations and Lolly’s comments as well. Much better than playing diamond digger or candy crush! Well done not to let your frustration with newspaper articles drive you to overeating. I am strongly an emotional eater, and am working hard on not doing that, but failed miserably the other day. Fortunately, that is in the past and am getting on with the present.
    It’s not easy, when you have a little one, to stay on track. I am now the grandmother of 12 grandies and 3 of them are under 3. So I am watching my daughters struggle with the sleep deprivation that seems to go on for some years. I had 5 children myself, but don’t remember much about that stage of the childcare spectrum. All a bit of a haze really. But one does get through it one way or another.
    I had a fast day yesterday and another one today to try and make up for the binge on Tuesday. I had quite a bit more than 500 calories this evening, I think, but still feel virtuous. Will see what the scales say tomorrow.
    Good luck with your accountability. Will drop in and see how you’ve managed. Cheers.

Hi Fuvvie,
    wow, five kids and 12 grandkids – that must have been a lot of work when they were small, and you must have a very busy schedule now, with birthday parties and stuff. (“Grandchildren are the dessert of life”, do you agree?)
    Too true about the sleep deprivation – I chatted with moms at my baby group today and they all said they can’t remember much about their older children’s baby years.

Good luck with tomorrow’s weigh-in – 500 calories sound as if you had a successful day.

I did the water fast and had a bit of tzatziki (spelling?) at 5 pm. In hindsight, this was a mistake, I should have waited a bit longer because after that I was hungry but with baby still awake I could only snatch a few stressful bites instead of having a lovely, rewarding meal.
    Anyway, I stopped at 494 cals – current weight 93.7. Not much of a loss, but still.
    I ate above TDEE today, though – for no good reason, I bought a package of cookies and ate them, only to find out that they weren’t nourishing and good food (BIG surprise there) and were 1,094 calories – WHAT??? Stupid thing to do.

Still, second fast day tomorrow, the idea is not to eat until about 6 pm, if I can. I will be busy, too, meeting other moms and babies at the local library and then driving to a book sale at the big library – it’s going to be a very book-focused day.:-)

Good luck for your fast and non fast days tomorrow, fuvvie and everybody who might drop in here!

Hi Austrian, Thanks for the good wishes. I weighed in at 119.9. That binge last Tuesday just wasn’t worth it. It has set me back a week. I fasted till 6pm but would have had more than 500 cals. My second daughter, her husband and 3 of my grandsons are living with us while they build their house. So I cooked a roast for dinner. The boys are 10, 9 and 7. So it is very lively here after school. Another FD tomorrow. Here’s hoping for a good result. Have fun with the books. I love reading and am surrounded by books.

Austrian,
    I also have a binge day yesterday without any reason! Also ate cookies, start limiting myself with 3, and increase the limit till 7, than till 11, and so until the package was gone (about 20 cookies). It make me upset so much, so I decided that sausage with pasta will help. And I supposed to be logical with my engineering degree. Thankfully, in the middle of that eating my stomach start hurting, and I was filling so full and nauseous. I gave the rest of the sausage with pasta to my dog ( he was very happy) and went to bed, to stop myself to find another “cure”.
    Emergency fasting today….

Coldpizza,

I had to laugh when I read about the sausage with pasta disaster and that you fed your dog with it – when it’s gone, it’s no longer a temptation!
    Yesterday, I actually threw away an ice cream after peeling off and eating the chocolate layer, how bad is that?
    Oh well, one day at a time, right?

How did your emergency fasting go?

My fast day went well, I didn’t eat anything until 6 pm, then had vegetables and salmon. I just felt hungry twice, but then I managed to keep myself occupied and get out of the house – doing a fast day while sitting at home, I don’t know if that would work so well. Too close to the fridge!
    What I like about the no-food-all-day approach is that somehow it feels good, as if I was giving my body a break.
    But I didn’t experience the surge of energy some fasters talk about, I felt rather tired and slow as if my body was winding down a bit.

I just read a book about Papua New Guinea and the hunter-gatherer cultures there. There was a passage describing how the women built a dam and then dug up a steep river bank 1.5 metres deep – several women and children worked for several hours, found four shrimps (I don’t know if that’s what you call them while they are still alive), a frog and a small mammal- and everybody cheered and was glad that they’s found so much food…which then had to be cooked and shared with everybody.
    Which proves: we are NOT constructed to live in the world of supermarkets and easy access to calorie-dense food. We are constructed to keep going on extremely little food while working hard to find more food (makes you question the meaning of it all, really).

fuvvie, how did your fast day go? I guess well, with so much to do and so many kids around you must be too busy to eat a lot?

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 110 total)

You must be logged in to reply.