Aussie Determination

This topic contains 14,766 replies, has 323 voices, and was last updated by  Countrygal1 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 13,651 through 13,700 (of 14,786 total)

• Hi all!
    UP, I’m with you on all the confusing advice given by doctors about cholesterol. All my siblings have high cholesterol and it seems that genetics play a big part. Some of my family have tried following the strict dietary advice given and it made no difference. So now five of us are on statins for it but one sister has been told by her doctor that because she’s not greatly overweight, and is reasonably active, doesn’t smoke or drink, then there’s no reason to worry about high cholesterol. So she doesn’t take statins. Most of us fit the same profile although some drink a little (peach schnapps or glass of wine less than once a week). We all have a sweet tooth and love chocolate. I have porridge for breakfast except when fasting and I sprinkle a few seeds on top. I used to eat a lot of fruit throughout the day but now I’m having one or two pieces at the end of a meal. (My new no snacking between meals challenge). I don’t add sugar to anything but I know there are lots of hidden sugars in various foods. I eat eggs several times a week and have a handful of almonds most days.
    PH, I’m sorry to hear you have telephone and internet problems. It’s so frustrating. We’ve changed our provider a few times and they always promise the sun, moon and stars but eventually new problems emerge. It’s especially difficult for my OH because he works from home and has to have a reliable service so that he can email his work to his clients. He can’t afford to miss deadlines or his reputation will suffer and he prides himself on delivering on time. I hope you get sorted and have a satisfactory service for the future.
    Big booty, thanks for your input. The other issue I have is that I need more calcium to fight osteoporosis but dairy products are the main source of that but are traditionally seen as bad for cholesterol! I eat quite a lot of fish, shellfish and green veg but still have to take a calcium tablet every day. It’s annoying and confusing. ๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜
    Jade, I’d say the sphagnum will grow and fill out your doggy and then you can give him regular trims to keep him in shape…..pity we can’t do the same for ourselves! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    It’s another glorious day here, not a cloud in the sky with fantastic sunshine forecast for the next few days…..yippee! ๐Ÿ˜Žโ˜€๏ธ๐ŸŒžโ›ฑ I’m just going to research somewhere nice to go for a day out with OH and the dog. I’m fasting so I’ll have to avoid any cafes! ๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’š

Thanks, BB. Yes, I go usually for almonds and walnuts but mainly almonds. I too love cashews but don’t have them often. Thanks for the heads up about the balsamic. I use the Mazotti white balsamic dressing. I will have to look at that. I thought it was better than the dark stuff but may not be.

Chicken breast and steamed veg for dinner tonight. Have come in at around 500.

1 day per week for wine. Yes, I could do that but don’t think I want to. I will cut back to 3 nights!

Posts crossed Fit! Thanks for your input. Crazy hey?

UP. 3 nights sounds like a good thing to aim for. Think I’ll join you on this one..starting Monday of course. Can’t start a,challenge on a Friday! ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜„

Hi Fittoretire,

Yes there is a lot of confusion about cholesterol, about good chol, bad chol, how you get it, how you get rid of it, how much is too much, to medicate or not, to get it down with food or not. There is a lot of very contradictary information out there and a lot of hype as well.

So….just popping in to commiserate and pass on some of our experience. My OH’s family has this too. It is not uncommon, and common in South Africa in the Afrikaans community.

It sounds like your family may have a condition called ‘familial hypercholesterolemia(FHC)’This is a genetic condition which causes the body to make too much of the bad cholesterol. The body makes cholesterol because it is used in building cell walls. It’s normal, but in familial(runs in families) hyper(too much)cholesterolemia, this making of cholesterol is out of whack. In people with this condition their cholesterol profile generally has not enough of the good cholesterol – HDL, and too much of the bad cholesterol(LDL). So if you have this you need to get tested for not only total cholesterol, but also a cholesterol breakdown of measurements for all the various types of cholesterol. It will also show a ratio of HDL to LDL i.e good to bad. This needs to be within a certain ratio, and with FHC it’s usually a bad ratio. It’s also important to look at triglycerides.

Over the last 3-4 decades the scientific and medical community have put a lot of the blame for high cholesterol and triglycerides on the Western diet in the average person. High cholesterol from too much saturated fat and cholesterol rich foods, and triglycerides from too much sugar in the diet – from sugar, fructose, other added sugars, and all high sugar foods including softdrinks, wine, etc etc etc? Cholesterol and triglycerides both contribute to clogging of the arteries. People with FHC don’t fit the same cholesterol profile as the average person in the Western world. Their total cholesterol will usually be way higher. By changing the diet both cholesterol and triglycerides can be lowered in the average person.

For my OH this did not happen. He was able to reduce triglycerides by dietry controls of fruit, sugars and drinks, but has had to be on cholesterol lowering drugs for 30 yrs. At 36 he was very very fit and athletic, not overweight, non smoker, very modest drinker, very moderate diet. He had a heart attack out of the blue, with a total cholesterol of 6.2. At that time, it was considered normal and safe to have a total cholesterol under 6.5. My OH had low LDLs, high LDLs and high VLDLs (extra bad cholesterol ) A previous family member had died in early 40’s but the death was put down to different reasons. The children of that person had cholesterol levels up to 14 when tested.

High cholesterol is not confined to overweight and obese people. It occurs in normal weight, slim and thin people as well. While my OH was in hospital a woman was brought in following a heart attack at 45. She did not survive.

This very long, but I hope it is helpful for and your family I’ll close this off now while I check something.

Merry

Crud, I don’t like the idea of giving up balsamic, BB.๐Ÿ˜ฉ Yeah, I could tell those cashews were a bit sweet, but honestly, there is a limit to how much I’ll worry about nuts and vinegar. My sugar cravings have lessened a lot just avoiding bread, etc. – the insanity has eased a lot. But here’s the thing, Up – you don’t seem to have sugar cravings at all, so you don’t have near the need to cut back as I do. I’m a fan of going for small changes to see what works๐Ÿ’ชtoo much change makes me petulant. And then I need more wine!๐Ÿท๐Ÿท

Hey there, Fit – wow your family has sure battled the cholesterol. You’re right, must be genetics. People joke with me about mine, as I can’t sit still and neither can my oldest brother, both of us have great health stats – my other brothers, though, complete opposite. Who knows how those gene cards are dealt…..Great going on the no-snacking! I’ve done ok except I can’t resist a bite around 9 p.m. I call it my reverse breakfast๐Ÿ˜Ž

PH, hope you’ve recuperated from your footie celebration? How funny that you and your OH root for different teams, that could cause a riot in some households!๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿ”ฅ

I saw SJ on Facebook having crepes in Quebec – I hope the leg is doing better? No crepes here, but two almost FDs, back off the starch is working pretty well. Now if I can just keep the train going in the right direction๐Ÿš‚๐Ÿš‚ And today, the real dog must go to the vet – took him on a jog yesterday and something must have flown into his ear, driving him (and us) mad all night. And his poor footpads seem red too. Poor little guy. Meanwhile, the mossy dog (supposed to be a dachshund) will have to wait on getting his coat of ivy๐Ÿถ๐ŸŒฟโ™ฅ๏ธ – off to the races with me๐Ÿ‡hugs all โ™ฅ๏ธxxx
    ps-Merry just saw your post, yikes – thanks for that info!

Merry, thank you so much for taking the time to post here with such a lot of interesting and relevant information. When I was at my goal weight last summer I had cut out most carbs and a great deal of sugar, except fruit. I also stopped taking statins. My next blood test gave my total cholesterol level as 7.2 with considerably higher HDL than LDL, can’t remember the exact figures. So I went back on the statins. I went off them again a couple of months ago and went up to 7.7, so I’m back on again! Too scared not to now! Especially since my eldest sister, who was on statins, had a stroke and developed dementia because of it! ๐Ÿ˜ฑ
    Jade, I’m just taking a break from battling some ivy covering an out building in my garden….don’t inflict it on your new puppy! Hope the real mutt is looked after by the vet ๐Ÿ‘. Gotta dash and help my sister plan where to put her new furniture! It’s a hard life! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’š

OK, trying to finish this for you, but please ask anything and I’ll answer if I can.

Here’s the bad news. In Australia 5.5mmols/lt is now considered the upper level of total cholesterol that’s acceptable. The word ‘normal’ is sometimes used. ‘ Normal’, used this way does not mean you are not putting deposits of cholesterol and triglyceride in your arteries. Some people think their arteries are clean if their cholesterol is ‘normal’. Not so. It means it is at avlevel of acceptable risk. However, If the total cholesterol is over 4mmol/lt you are depositing cholesterol and triglycerides into the arteries. The higher the figure, the faster it’s happening. This figure of 4 is not generally known amongst the general,public.

The good news is also not well known. If your cholesterol is 3.9 or under, the cholesterol deposited in your arteries will start to reduce and come out of your arteries. Read that several times. If you can get it there by natural means through diet, fine, but it also works if you have FHC, can’t get it down by diet, and get it down to 3.9 or lower by cholesterol lowering medications.

With FHC (1 in 250 people in Australia) you should be able to reduce triglycerides by diet as it’s not effected by FHC, only cholesterol. You need to be working:

1.to get total cholesterol down 3.9 or under
    2. to get your HDL : LDL ratio into the normal range. HDL can be increased
    3. Get triglycerides down by limiting fruit to 1-2 pieces acday of small whole fruit ( not giant sized like we often get these days) stopping other sugars – added sugars of all sorts, soft drinks, fruit juice, wine, dried fruit. Get it down first then you’ll work out what you can tolerate later.

People may start giving you hype about cholesterol getting too low. Forget it, it’s hype unless you’re in some totally impoverished part of the world with little protein and a limited diet of vegetables.

My cholesterol, through diet, went down to 3.2 and stayed there. I had an angiogram for other reasons a year ago. My arteries were ‘patent’.

I’m not a convert to the high fat, saturated fat and lots of coconut fat and coconut products currently in vogue. OH and I went onto a 3% fat diet with 80% of calories from complex carbohydrates for 11 yrs. we were slim, strong, and very healthy, actually healthier than we were brfore. There is much epedemiological evidence to show that populations with low saturated fat, and moderate amounts of protein do not get the usual western diseases of strokes and heart attacks, and they are long lived. During WW2 when fat and animal protein were much reduced, despite huge amounts of stress, the general popluation very rarely had heart attacks and strokes. After the war the incidence increased in correlation to the increase in saturated fats, animal protein and reduction in complex carbohydrates.

Must go,
    Hope this helps, and I’m happy to answer questions,
    Merry
    Must get to bed,

Hi folks sorry for the long absence. Hard traveling with just a small phone. Always a battle to keep it charged & that’s difficult when you rely on it for maps every day! Couldn’t do without it. So much less posting happening & quick skimming.
    Yes Jade we’re in Quebec beautiful place & afraid 5:2 isn’t happening. Will have to adress that when we get back as I know I’ve gained for sure!! Have 10 days in the Rockies Banff & Jasper nat parks coming up tomorrow. Then back to our family for 2 weeks. We’ll be.trying to fit so much fun stuff into those 2 weeks it will fly by!!!
    My knee is slowly improving. Doing ok without crutches & leg brace but use a knee support. Can’t go downstairs yet (well manage in a fashion) but can go up if I’m careful. Will see what the damage is with an MRI when I get back but think it’s the tendon. Then physio. So getting around ok but because you’re supporting that leg all the time I get very tired so let OH go off oh his big exploration walks & I explore things like shops!
    That’s it gang. Have to get moving and out for the day. Post again later. Suejen xxxx

Fit,

Make sure you take vitamin D along with calcium for your osteoporosis. Your wasting your time unless you take vitamin D as well. Personally I don’t have a problem with dairy. I think it raises HDL (the good one). Need to confirm this with another set of bloods. Had some taken last December and have really increased my dairy and avocado intake since then so it will be interesting to see if its made it better or worse.

Jade,

Some Mazotti apple cider vinegar and some good olive oil is a good compromise for balsamic. Yeah I love cashews so that one was a hard one to give up. Luckily for me almonds were a close second. Bread was also a tough one for me, especially nice crusty bread. That has now become a sometimes treat.

Hi again Merry. In Ireland, where I live, the acceptable level is usually given as anything below 5. Obviously, I would like to be comfortably below that so I’ll be interested to see what my next blood test will show. I will definitely look into the issue of triglycerides and ask what level I have. I never drink fruit juices or soft drinks but I have the odd glass of wine (or two) on special occasions.
    SJ, how lovely to hear from you. It’s good that your knee is not hampering you too much and that you’re still able to find nice things to enjoy. Enjoy the rest of your holiday, especially the time with your family and grandies. What could be better? Looking forward to having you back regularly here too. Best of luck with that knee recovery. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’š
    BB, my calcium tablet includes vitamin D but thanks for the heads up as that might not always be the case. I stopped taking milk in coffee and tea a long time ago and I used to drink milk with my dinner up until around the age of thirty, but gave that up in favour of water. I only use a little milk now to make porridge. I like cheese from time to time but don’t have it on a regular basis.
    My older daughter popped in for a surprise visit (to collect suitable clothes for the heatwave we’re having!) and we went out for lunch. I had prawn and avocado salad, which will be my only meal for the day since I’m fasting. I hope I manage to hold out for the rest of the day ๐Ÿ˜ I think I’ll get back to the gardening to distract me!

Hi team, lot’s going on and it’s great to see the discussion . Above all team, take your questions to your doctor too, have a list of your concerns, and follow what’s right for you.
    Fit what a loverly surprise for you, lunch out with your daughter๐Ÿ˜Š and a yummy lunch to boot. I’m lunching out again today too, with a girl friend who recently had her second knee replacement operation. Oh the joys of aging๐Ÿ˜ณ I’ll take the boys to the groomer, then see my osteopath who I haven’t seen in over a year, then I’ll pick Lynne up, go out for lunch,then drop her back at her Mum’s then pick my boys up…phew!!! Then drive 40 minutes back home๐Ÿ˜‰
    BB I’m going to get some Mazotti cider vinegar today whilst out and give it a try๐Ÿ˜‰ Thanks for the suggestion.
    Merryme, thank you too for your informative inputโ˜บ๏ธ with all the modern science we have these days and wonderful discoveries the human body is still a mystery. ๐Ÿ˜‰ We are bought up believeing one thing, then the goal posts get moved, opinions change, so we get different rules to follow, it all still boils down to eating natural, fresh and portion control ๐Ÿ˜‰ Fresh water, fresh air and plenty of rest too. We do treat ourselves like robots at times, and service our cars more often than ourselves, so listen to your body, and make your doctor your new best friendโ˜บ๏ธ He should be someone you see on a regular basis, wether you think you need to or not. Even seeing a locum or a different doctor at your clinic if possible is better too ……..as our own doctor can become complacent like we all do, so new eyes and thoughts do go a long way in keeping you healthy๐Ÿ˜Œ
    Just the fact you are discussing health issues means you are conscious of your food intake, your exercise routine, and staying as healthy as you can.
    Suejen, lovely to hear from you, you sound to be having a lovely time, and I’m pleased to hear the knee isn’t proving to be a downer for you. Stay positive dear friend, keep making your memories, you will be back at Perth before you know it and your time with family and the grandies will seem like a dream, so enjoy every precious moment๐Ÿ’—โ˜บ๏ธ
    Shower time team, no real fast this week, I start out well, veggie soup etc, but go belly up for some reason. I’m not too worried, my social life is very small, so taking advantage of it, even if twice in the one week, is not a problem for 5:2. I know things will be running smoothly again before too long, and know I CAN DO IT๐Ÿ˜‰
    Cuddles to you all, sorry if I didn’t mention you, my memory is pitiful, ๐Ÿค” Enjoy the weekend team, Friday seems to be the platform we use to jump off into life’s little pleasures๐Ÿท without guilt๐Ÿ˜ŠXxxxxxx๐Ÿ’•
    “It’s Friday, I can’t wait to be ashamed of what I get up to this weekend!”๐Ÿ’ฅ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿฟ๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿง

Well this has all been very interesting.

After Merry’s post I had a look at our results. All those things have been measured but it it is interesting that the reports are presented differently as we had them at 2 different well known providers.
    What a minefield. Thank goodness the doc explained it.

Anyway, thanks to Merry and BB for your thoughts.I do remember my father in his late seventies getting excellent results and the doc thinking he must have been vegetarian. He isn’t, but has always been extremely conscious of all that and eaten very healthily. He is tee total though and it is from him that I get my lack of sweet tooth. He is 83 now and in excellent health.

So back to 5/2. It is Friday and time to weigh in. I have lost 700 grams this week so am happy. I hope you all got good results too. PH I am with you re not starting till Monday!

Mornin’ CG! Yes, the more we hear about what’s good for us, the more it resembles the diet of our parent/grandparents. I’m delighted to hear you have such a full day planned….it will be tiring I’m sure but great fun too. I hope your friend is making a good recovery. My doctor is a very nice man but has never been very proactive or inclined to explain or discuss options. Thankfully, we’ve been a very healthy family so it hasn’t been an issue until now. He will be retiring soon so OH and I are going to join a new practice and have full check ups done. Hopefully, we’ll be happier/more enlightened then.
    UP, congrats on your great loss, woohoo! You’re back in the saddle and on track again. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ˜ƒ I’ll be weighing in tomorrow and hoping for good things too. I held out on my fast today, despite eating much earlier in the day than I would normally do on a fd. Wish me luck!

Hi Fit, yeah the old doctors didn’t seem to want to share info regarding our health, giving the impression they were a “God” and it was none of our business…..fortunately we are now more enlightened than ever so have more of an idea of what to askโ˜บ๏ธGood luck with the new clinic and it could a good place to take your sister in future. Just for new inputs and different ideas? How is she going Fit? Are you making the most of your free timeโ˜บ๏ธ
    Up we crossed, congrats on your loss๐Ÿ˜Š WE CAN ALL DO IT, it’s just getting back to what we know works!
    Have a lovely day team ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’•xxxxxxx

CG, I’ll be going to see my sister tomorrow. She seems to be improving and is not complaining of the physical issues as much. My brother visited her yesterday and thought she was improving too. She has been very reluctant to change from her GP, (not the same as mine), but we’re hoping she won’t need him really because he’s useless. The psychiatrist is more relevant to her needs. I’m loving my free time, especially with all this beautiful weather to enjoy. Have a wonderful day! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Morning. All this discussion regarding our health certainly gets you thinking. I used to eat 10 almonds a day regularly for my good fats along with the half an avacado and seemed to have changed to chocolate covered goji berries……bad move so will now change back. You can get off track without even realising it. Can’t remember if I mentioned that my arthritis has flared up and needing to go on prednisolone again for a short course. So weight loss I’ll be a struggle but I can still change back to my healthier way of eating that I seem to have strayed from. All this discussion has made me realise where I have been going wrong. So it’s back to the green drinks, almonds, and wine/scotch only three times a week. I am fasting today as I blew it yesterday because of having to deal with Telstra most of the day. Frustrating cups of tea and ginger nut biscuits were absolutely necessary for my sanity. ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜
    SJ. Lovely to hear from you and that you are, as expected, not letting your bad leg get in the way of your plans. Pleanty of time to rest up when you get home..enjoy the rest of the time with your family when you get back to them as it is so precious…we go to pick up our Canadians in just 7 days๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—.

Best get moving. Have a full day at home today and lots of catching up to do. ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ. Oops. CG so glad you are having. Great social time and not worrying about 5.2 for a while๐Ÿ’•

Hi all!
    After a strenuous time in the garden yesterday and what I thought was a very good fd, I was disgusted with my weigh in this morning. A gain of 400g! WTF!! After a good week of no snacking too ๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ˜ก I also got really weak after my shower this morning and had a bad case of the shakes! I know I’m not very fit but I didn’t think I was quite that pathetic! I’ve been conscious of the heat factor and drinking lots of water, so I don’t know why I’m feeling like this. Grrrr! ๐Ÿ˜
    PH, sounds like you have some very good habits to get back to and I’m sure we are all healthier than we used to be before 5:2. Sorry to hear your arthritis has flared up again but with your positive attitude, I’m sure you will conquer it again. Even if you just maintain for the moment while you’re back on the meds, that would be great. It’s getting very exciting for you now looking forward to your Canadian visitors….enjoy it all! ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Oh darling Fit๐Ÿ˜Š I know the disappointment you are feeling, cheer up, YOU ARE NOT ALONE๐Ÿ’• Ask the chemist for some iron tablets as well as a course of vitamin B tablets. I promise you will feel so much better. I had to put myself on both, you might remember, a few months back, and the difference in my energy level was incredible. My blood tests showed I was slightly low in iron too, so it was a good guess going on them. Your body will extract what you don’t need, and let’s face it, we don’t really eat a lot of red meat with 5:2, not because we can’t, but think chicken and fish better for our calorie count!๐Ÿ˜‰ The vitamin B (multi B) is wonderful for giving back your energy, in fact I did feel the difference if I missed 1-2…..your body is reacting to the difference and your challenge, so give it time and hang on to the reinsโ˜บ๏ธ๐Ÿ’• And above all, feel proud of yourself and ignore those bloody scales!
    I am so engrossed in this Outlander, golly he is a nice bit of eye candy, but it’s very explicit and grewsome at times that I walk away and do something until the sceen changes๐Ÿ˜ณ I also read he is going to be the next James Bond๐Ÿ˜‰ Enjoy your day, do as you wish, take pleasure in the beautiful weather and the freedom you have at the momentโ˜บ๏ธ and shout yourself a treat or two, you deserve it. Our path has been long, and we still have a long journey ahead, so enjoy the sightseeingโ˜บ๏ธ๐Ÿ’•xxxxxxxx

Golly trust CG to pop up in the wee hours with wisdom and love โ™ฅ๏ธ- yes dear Fit, we’ve all been there, and I’m there with you now, up from last week despite being super good this week. Man, and you rocked a FD doing only lunch. Sometimes it’s just beyond comprehension! On the bright side, the shift downwards WILL come if we keep at it, and in the meantime we’re in better health for the years ahead. And blah blah, that sounds about as boring as it did 50 years ago in health class๐Ÿ˜‚ but we know it’s true now!

Anyway, i think I’ll try a boost from those vitamins, CG – also vitamin D that I’m low on and forget to take. Ha, and I wonder why I’m not feeling so good. Just don’t anyone take them on an empty stomach! Not only inviting nausea, but most need some food and fats to get absorbed. Up, you have enough med info now to choke a horse! It’s all very confusing to me, and medicine is such an inexact thing from person to person. I hope your dietary tweaks work for you๐Ÿ’ช

Dinner out with OH and D last night, had soft tacos and dreamed of those crepes SJ is having in Canada – not even close! But glad to hear your knee is a bit better SJ and that you’ll be getting more cuddling time with the grandkids.๐Ÿ’• Can you believe, after dinner I tried to get OH and D down the street into a dessert place, neither was interested. How am I related to these people…..

PH I hope the Telstra stuff is finally sorted now, how frustrating. And take care of yourself with the arthritis – it’s a beast isn’t it. I am so creaky getting out of bed these days.๐Ÿค–

My little Aussie pup is doing better, just allergies probably from the river path we took on our jog. Vet said he was pinkish all over! Poor little guy – they were lovely to fit him in. Funny though, I had dropped him off then called in the afternoon to see how he was, and the girl who answered the phone kept saying “you’ll have to talk to the doctor about that” – even when I asked “is something wrong?” And I finally said “omg he’s not dead is he??” Poor girl, she finally “broke protocol” and said “oh no, he’s fine!!” Whew, the mind does race sometimes.

Time to get dressed and enjoy a bit of gardening while the sun is out๐Ÿ”†๐Ÿ”†๐Ÿ”†Fit I hope the visit with your sis goes well. She’s lucky to have such a loving group of siblingsโ™ฅ๏ธ Hugs to all you Aussies๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ”†๐ŸŒˆxx

Hi all. Having some awake time so decided to post. Fit what a bummer.๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ˜ ..after you have been so good too. ๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡All you can tell yourself is that it will come off eventually. Fluid in our bodies is something that is sent to test us I think. It goes up and down when we do t want it to and messes with our heads…better get checked with your doctor re the dizzy spells..could be anything, possibly blood pressure?

My fast day did I not go as expected..was OK until about 4pm …nothing…when OH decided we needed to go to Woolgoolga, half an hour away, to look at a 2 bedroom unit that is on the market and call on our friend that is in the terminal cancer stage..so a coffee with the visit and then on the way home suggested we call in at the Local Tavern and get a Pizza takeaway dinner. So out of character for him I just had to go along. It appears he has decided that it is time for us to downsize once again as he can’t seem to get out of the downer he is in and the garden is getting away from him. I’m all for downsizing and moving across to the beach…so I guess we start looking now in earnest. However I’m not rushing as he still has a double garage and a large shed to empty out before we can move. On the bright side it is him that is suggesting we do it…not sure where we would put all our treasure?? Oh well…never a dull Moment.

Jade. Glad you had a nice dinner with OH and D. Imagine not wanting dessert!! I always love to go to an ice cream shop after dinner..for,some rum and Rabin ice cream๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜›
    Good to hear your little four legged friend is OK. And yes I have sorted out the Telstra issue. So far so good. No doubt there will be some glitches. It is pouring rain here at the moment. Love being in bed and listening to the rain on the roof. We are supposed to be getting a lot of rain and wind over the weekend, all down the east coast of Australia!! Hope it is not too drastic.

Well back to the land of Nod. ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ

Oh PH I sympathize, similar with my OH and if he suggests anything, I’m only too happy to go along. I would LOVE to downsize if there was a beach in the offing๐ŸŒด๐ŸŒˆbut at this point we might have to rent a storage unit for his parents’ things – the ones no one wants but he can’t discard. I do get tired of the effort sometimes, always being the other side of the mood coin, but love is strong, and not always a rose garden, eh? ๐ŸŒนโ›…๏ธ Thanks for camping out with meโ™ฅ๏ธ Ah well, speaking of gardens, they’re good for a pick me up, better go visit mine NOW. xx

And here are a few snaps of the garden (one of two mini-farms ๐Ÿ™‚ with onions, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, and a few herbs), the emerging coneflower bed, and the little bee house that may someday help pollinate things (things other than my little puppy!) xxx

photo garden_zps3rs7wqpk.jpg

photo coneflowers_zpshtyhendu.jpg

photo beehouse_zpsv7cfjmm3.jpg

Hi gals!
    CG, I must get a look at this Outlander guy…..maybe he will put some pep in my step! ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‹ I’ll look into a supplement too for an energy boost, it can’t do any harm.
    PH, it’s a big decision to decide to downsize but if the things your OH can no longer do are getting him down, then that is probably the right move. What a great support you are, just like Jade….. I take my hat off to you both! Who says females are the weaker sex?! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ˜‡
    Jade, so glad you had a nice meal out with OH and D. Don’t worry about needing someone to go for dessert when you get to Ireland…..it’s my specialist subject!! ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜ƒ You have been busy in the garden, well done. It must be so satisfying to eat your own fresh veg straight from the ground.
    My sister was not so good today. She was mumbling and quite incoherent at times, unable to finish a thought or sentence or describe how she was feeling. She had already been seen by the doc when we arrived but couldn’t tell us what she had told him or what he had said to her. The nurse told us she is scheduled for an MRI scan soon and we will be contacted to meet with her doctor soon too.
    It’s a bank holiday weekend here and the sunshine is still blazing, without a cloud in the sky. Bliss! Have a lovely weekend, everybody ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Morning all. Raining all night and still raining heavy. Looks like the forecast was right, and boy do we need this rain so all good. Feel like just hunkering down in bed with a good book..๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜.
    Jade. It is so good to have someone who completely understands the ups and downs of living with someone with depression. As you say, the love is strong ๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ’ž and its best just to go with the flow. OH commented last night that he is grateful that I am always open to his ideas so that is a huge plus, it’s moments like this that makes it possible to keep on keeping on. he really is a very lovely fellow and is happy to laugh at himself and his funny ways with family and friends. Your garden is lovely and love the bee box, does it work?? I’ve never seen one before.

Fit, feeling for you regarding your sister, it will be good to get the results of the MRI, medication for psychiatric problems can take so long to get right so it may be a long road for you, enjoy your freedom while you can, knowing that you have,and will, continue to do whatever is best for her over and above what is expected. ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’• can’t wait to meet you in person at the 2017 WTF ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿท

I am just like you , put on about .8 of a kg. Buggar, buggar , buggar…..๐Ÿ˜ฑ๐Ÿ˜ฑ. I know why though as even though I said I would track my food I have not done it. And food definitely is in transit… Like Having pizza on a fast day and blowing it like yesterday…should have had the red wine to go with it… Life is just too busy at the moment. I’m going to be realistic and concentrate on maintaining through the medication change and having my beautiful Canadian family visit for the next two months. ๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆ๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘ฉโ€๐Ÿ‘งโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŽฃ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰โค๏ธ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ’“๐Ÿ’“.
    I am very happy with where I am at the moment, compared to where I was last September..that is enough for me at the moment… Bye for now. ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ

Well done PH! What a great attitude! I just love your positivity and your OH is so lucky to have you. You are going with the flow at the moment because you know that’s what is needed. Best of luck with maintaining. That will be quite enough to deal with while you are back on the arthritis meds and are busy creating special times with your family. 5:2 will be there when you are ready again to jump on board. It will be amazing to meet you wonderful people in 2017, I hope everyone is still up for it! ๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Fit, so sorry your sister was in that shape, might be just fatigue? You have an amazing attitude as well, enjoying your gorgeous weather despite all of that. And why not, eh PH? Being miserable never solved anything, and I have studied enough to know that for me it’s a choice, I don’t suffer from depression. But for those who do, it isn’t something they can shake off (well, not all the time anyway – I always give it a good go to see if OH can be shaken!! Sometimes get a scowl for my efforts๐Ÿ˜ก). Mine is a lovely fellow too – does usually rally for a social gathering – so Fit if I do manage to drag him across the Atlantic this fall, no worries – he’ll be fine as wine๐Ÿท๐Ÿท๐Ÿท

We’re having a social gathering here tonight, so I’m sipping a margarita awaiting guests. Lovely summer day and the backyard looks so tranquil. Can’t wait to try out my fairy lightsโœจโœจNo bees yet PH, just put it up last month, the sheet said it might take them a while to find it๐Ÿค” But I loved the idea. Go spread some joy everyone, here’s to us๐Ÿธ๐Ÿท๐Ÿธ๐Ÿท๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ”†โ™ฅ๏ธ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’™xx
    ps I think hearing about the Canadians has gotten me in an “eh?” frame of mind๐Ÿ˜Š What a treat to look forward toโ™ฅ๏ธX

Jade, I’m sure we’ll have a brilliant time when you get here……notice I said ‘when’! ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‚ Have a wonderful evening, a margarita sounds very decadent and exotic ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿน I’m sure the garden will look very pretty and magical with the lights. Best of luck with the bees๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ

Hi team, PH take care in the weather predicted up your way this weekend, you too Up, I spoke to GG last night with the same request. Mother Nature is a bit like dieting, it’s all or nothing! Drought or floods, (salads or cheese cake) ! We have light rain and even heavy rain wouldn’t effect me due to my hills, it’s down in the “flats” which go under water. But it’s nice to think it’s soaking down to the tree roots.
    Jade and PH, it’s a credit to you both dealing with husbands suffering with depression. You are their back bones and it must get rough at times. It’s not always easy being on an “up” and feeling light hearted and I guess your social outlets are a wonderful diversion for you both, even work Jade. Seeing a positive in a possible down size is a healthy attitude PH, as you know further down the age track, being somewhere smaller will be easier for you too, particullarly if you are left alone. If it doesn’t end up in the too hard basket, it also gives O/H a project to concerntrate on and is fullfilling๐Ÿ˜‰
    Jade was your poor puppy bitten by a bee, ouch, poor little buggar! The skin reaction would be normal and lucky he hasn’t had trouble with his throat in swallowing. If your O/H has the loving nature along with the depression, it would make life so much easier for you to handle. Was this bought on by the loss of his Mother or is he predisposed with it. Either way, they are both very lucky men to have you both as life partners.
    Fit, what a bummer your sister was like that, but then again, hopefully the doctor saw her the same way. She hasn’t had a mini stroke has she? It would be more of a worry if you’d found her like that at home. It could all be confusion for her. Enjoy your evening knowing you are doing all you can for her, and remember you have a life to live too.๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿธ
    Shower time, very much an indoor day weather wise, the whole coast is in for a lashing of rain and winds. Up to 200ml expected in parts which is huge. I’m heading down to Melbourne Monday for a few days with family, so due to start packing for us “all” Maggie and the boy’s come too, quite an interesting drive down with Maggie singing for the first 30 minutes, but she then settles. And is safe in her cat cage. Lighten up on yourselves team, enjoy the ocassional treat, 5:2 is only part of our lives, fasting is for two days only, even one is better than none! But we have brain washed ourselves and make so many better choices than we would have years ago, and letting those scales control our thinking is a big mistake.๐Ÿ˜ Sure we’d love to see a big drop, but we have all improved on our control over food and choices, so we are that much better off. Don’t let your scales control your mood (think of it as a phase they are going through, and will get better with time?)
    Remember….”The handle on your recliner does not count as exercise”๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿธxxxxxx

Jade, I do like a margharita! Your garden looks great.

Depression is awful and not something you can control. I feel for you both Jade and PH, I think living with someone who has it can be very hard.

We are about to start emptying out our house. It isn’t easy with 4 grown kids who haven’t there own places yet. All their stuff is here and we have enough stuff of our own. We won’t be downsizing for a long time but it will feel good to declutter!

Yes, Jamie is rather gorgeous. I haven’t seen much of the tv series, just the first 6 episoded but I have read all 7 books and loved them.

PH it is pouring down here and the pool is overflowing. It doesn’t look like it is going anywhere soon either. Even the dog seems to just want to snuggle down today in the greyness.

I started packing for the U.S yesterday, all summer stuff. I just wish I could eat my usual way while travelling. I just know that I will have to start yet again in mid July.

Fit, I am sorry to hear about your issues. It seems you might need to nurture yourself and sit around in that sun!

Hi all. Thanks for all the positive vibes!! Just love this thread. ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’›โค๏ธ๐Ÿ’•โฃ๐Ÿ’—
    CG. Yes ..we too are loving the fact that everything is getting soaked down to the tree roots..heavy rain and very windy, we are also up high and so no chance of our house getting flooded. I just love listening to the rain on the roof. Great to see you and the boys off to visit your family๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•

Jade..UP just love margaritas๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ๐Ÿธ matter of fact would love one now!! ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ
    UP. I will now have to also focus on downsizing before we make a move…the kids will just love helping OH and I get rid of heaps of stuff. We still have some of their things here too so timing is perfect for them to make other arrangements ..daughters place might now be the storage hub…funny how roles change as we get older…ain’t life grand๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜

Having a wonderful day sewing a double layered fleece sleeping suit for little Ruthie. It is just gorgeous. DIL phoned and asked me if I could make one for her and of course I was happy to so just the day to lock myself in the sewing room and get to it.
    Then tomorrow I am going to start downsizing my sewing room..ie attaching my mending and throwing out anything that has been in the pile for a year….if I had not fixed it then I don’t need it. . ..well back to the sewing room. Have rested the old back for long enough..bye for now ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ

I have managed to get my head back into gear and sticking to the program. There has been a small loss for the week 400g. Managed to lose 1cm from my waist but still not under 80cm. It was bittterly cold last Sunday so had to go get some jumpers.

A lot of time was spent waiting for tradies to come back out. A leaking water tank outlet hose was replaced and clamped. The new whiz bang clamp did not work and we put the old one back on. With nearly two inches of rain last week the weeds had doubled in size. Spent the last few days pulling or cutting them out. I still have about a days work to go but it has been showering on and off all day. From Monday onwards we are supposed to be getting showers all week. It will be good if that happens. I have been inside decluttering again. I am concerntrating on one small area, then move onto the next. Another bag of clothes out of the house.

Hello everyone….I have been doing some back post reading to see what you have all been up to !.
    I have really missed you all. Though have to admit not fasting for the past month has been wonderful. I am so enjoying eating each day …but being very mindfull of portion control and my food choices.๐Ÿช๐Ÿณ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ—๐Ÿค๐Ÿฃ๐Ÿž๐Ÿœ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŠ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ“๐Ÿฌ
    The good thing is the plateau has moved ….2kgs up! 77.5kgs is my current weight. Its not worrying me….and I have to admit I do feel better. This time last year I was my lowest at 71.something….it was the time I was looking after Dad for those weeks which saw my hardly eating in that time.I have every faith in myself that I can do this again…. after all I am an AUSSIE DETERMINATOR and I CAN DO THIS!!๐Ÿ’ช
    I felt, after a successful 18 months of 5:2 and losing 10 kgs than hitting that BLOODY PLATEAU for 6mths to have a break. I plan to start back in August, that will be 4mths of no fasting and will kick my metabolism back in I hope……fingers crossed.

So pleased that FIT JADE AND PH AND UP ๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿ‘ฉ๐Ÿ‘ต๐Ÿ‘ฑ are doing so well . Thanks for keeping AUSSIE DETERMINATION STRONG…… I PROMISE I WILL BE BACK…..
    LOVE AND HUGS…. YOURS ALWAYS …….GO GAL XXXXXXXX๐Ÿ‘ผ๐Ÿ’–๐Ÿ’–

Morning from the US๐Ÿ”†another gorgeous day here. Gosh last night was fun, we stayed outside the whole time. When it got cool enough, I lit the patio fire-thingie (chiminea?) and burned some sage branches, smelled so nice…๐Ÿ˜

And thanks all, I so appreciate the kind words – no one’s road is bump free (no one interesting, that is!) and I have so much to be happy aboutโ™ฅ๏ธ And I love cyber hugs from my Aussie sisters๐Ÿ˜

Sad about Mohammed Ali’s passing, he had so many wonderful moments for all his cockiness, especially for his stand against war. OH was moved to tears, he really does feel sadness more deeply than I do. But no, CG, he has always been, just the cards he was dealt. I understand more esp since that is D’s area of study, though I do remind him it’s not so easy being me sometimes either๐Ÿค”

Fit, you must be off and into some fun today – just chores for me, but good ones that involve retail therapy๐Ÿ’ฐand visiting D to do some more interior re-deco. And I’ve been researching Airbnb and such for Dublin, lots of lovely places – OH is taken by a few near the sea, one near Howth๐Ÿ’š

Stay safe in the storms, dear Aussies! CG I’m chuckling at the mental image of your menagerie on the road๐Ÿถ๐Ÿถ๐Ÿฑ…..๐Ÿฎ? Ha that would be a load, but if anyone could pull it off, you could. Hope the rain doesn’t interfere with your plans. Do you suppose Gyps is getting it too while out camping, or is that too far north? And wow, Up, you are downsizing from 4, now that’s a project. Only one kid lived in our current house, and it’s still a future version of “Hoarders” though actually somewhat orderly, just a lot of STUFF. And yes, pack for summer, we’re heating up over here๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒž GL your weeding sounds familiar, we’ve had so much rain some are taller than I am.

PH, I think we cope similarly by being so active – though your talents are more skilled than mine (remember I’m the brawny one๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ˜Š). And with the Canadians coming soon, I bet those fingers are flying making all sorts of things.โœ‚๏ธ๐Ÿ’œ

Hi there dear GG! I’m so glad you are still here๐Ÿ’• and I love your attitude. Just laugh in that scale’s face and tell it you won’t let it spoil any good times. Maybe a rude gesture is in order, too – I’m sure we can all give you hints if you need them ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Well I wasn’t very disciplined last night, I know that will come as a gigantic shock ๐Ÿ˜ณ – feeling a bit flabby today and like I spend days climbing a mountain only to fall to the bottom in one night. I guess that’s just the price to be paid, because it really was a fun night and there was Cadbury toward the end. Goes surprisingly well with tequila!๐Ÿธ Now I’d better get to my Saturday chores before they roll up the sidewalks here in my tiny little town. Have a great weekend all!๐Ÿ”†๐ŸŒžโ™ฅ๏ธ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’œxxx

Hi all!
    Didn’t sleep too well so I had late lie-in, followed by very leisurely breakfast. After a few chores and getting some groceries, I sat out under the parasol reading for most of the afternoon…..heavenly! I tried out two more paint colours called ‘snot green’ and ‘new baby’s nappy contents’…..not really their names but that’s what they ended up looking like on the wall! ๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜ฑ
    A friend gave us some fresh strawberries from her garden this evening, so I’ve just had some for dessert…..omg, they were just amazing, so fresh and full of flavour, yummy!
    CG, I’m not sure if my sister had another mini stroke but it’s a possibility. She was a little better when another sister went to visit her today. I hope that the weather doesn’t become a problem for you on your travels. It will be lovely to see and stay with family for a while. I hope you and your furry friends are spoiled rotten! ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’ž Ha, if I had a recliner it would have had a good workout today!
    UP, that will be some mammoth task to get rid of the clutter from four offspring but it’s a great start to make if you intend to downsize in the future….all the hard work will be done. I’m sure you’ll manage very well eating sensibly on your travels as you have done before. ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜ƒ Hope the weather clears up soon for you too.
    GL, you’re doing very well on 5:2, that’s a great loss ๐Ÿ’ช Take care in all that bad weather and don’t overdo things in the garden. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    GG, it’s so good to hear from you, we’ve all missed you! 2kg is not that much of a gain and I’m sure you will kickstart your metabolism in no time. It would be lovely have you back posting on a regular basis. ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’ž
    Jade, sounds like you had an absolutely perfect evening and it’s great that your OH can enjoy social occasions and the company of friends. My sister was diagnosed with depression early on in life and people always said it’s a very selfish condition. It’s good to remind your OH that his condition affects you too. Airbnb is becoming more and more popular so I’m sure you will find great places to stay. Howth is a lovely spot with lots of great pubs and places to eat. Isn’t it wonderful that Cadbury’s goes with everything?!
    More great weather in the offing here so I’m going to make the most of it for the next few days. Housework will be minimal, I’m guessing. I hope all you Aussies stay safe and dry even if the ground and plants need the rain. ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’ž

I try not to do more than one hour at a time of one activity but with the weeds blocking out the sun it was urgent. The back row contains 64 Teddy Bear Magnolias and the front bed has 60 Camellia Sasanqua Asakura. This is where all the black water goes so I need plants that are growing all the year. It was drizzly all day yesterday so did some early spring cleaning on small sections. It looks like we will be getting rain all next week so that will restrict what I can do outside but the rains are needed as the cereal crops have been struggling with the lack of moisture. As soon as the yard is green it immediately lifts my spirit even if it is full of weeds. These will mow down and form mulch. Got to get moving and light the fire to keep the house warm.

Sounds like a very sensible approach, GL. Best of luck with all your endeavours and I hope you get just the right amount of rain. I love camellias and magnolias but they don’t grow very well in my part of the country, at least not without a lot of care and attention. I’m sure yours must look amazing. ๐ŸŒบ๐ŸŒธ๐ŸŒผ

GL, your garden must be lovely! I ran out and fertilised my 3 camellias and 2 azaleas yesterday as the rain poured down. I tried to take advantage of all that rain.

Fit, I am glad you sat outside.

GG, good to see you here. I agree, you will knock that 2 kilos off in no time.

Jade, MA was an interesting guy for sure,and had some good sayings to quote!

CG, I watched another episode of Outlander last night. I had forgotten all about it. Yum! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Morning/afternoon/evening everyone! It’s another great day here but a little cloudy at the moment so I’m just waiting for the sun to come out to get back to my hard work of reading on the patio! I’ve stayed well below my TDEE for the last two days and have lost the 400g I picked up last week. I’m glad but annoyed at the same time. I should be losing just by doing my two fasts and TDEE, which is what I did last week. I must be miscalculating somewhere but I don’t see how. I’ve been using MFP and I rechecked my TDEE. Oh well, if this is what it takes to get moving again, I’ll just have to suck it up and get on with it! ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    Hope you’ve all had a lovely weekend and are ready for fray again on Monday. WE CAN DO THIS! BRING IT ON!

Thanks for saying that before I could, Fit! A pretty disciplined week here, even the last two nights of parties were preceded by very little eating during the day. And party snacks (aside from the Cadbury!) were mostly good, whole foods. The result = 2 lbs up over last week๐Ÿ˜œ Well isn’t that nice! But what can you do…. The alternative is to behave every day (no that’s not going to happen) or give up, and no that won’t do either. I suppose I’d be bored if I didn’t have an ongoing self-improvement project๐Ÿ’ช

I must check out this Outlander guy. I haven’t heard of him or the show, but it’s fun at my age to ogle the young studmuffins. The older ones like Sam Elliott and Richard Gere aren’t bad, either ๐Ÿ’˜๐Ÿ˜

Fit I hope your sis continues to show signs of improvement. I know both our moms would get incoherent when fatigued, then bounce back, so perhaps it’s just an off day for her. Are they checking that out? I remember you saying her care there, initially, not that great, so I hope that’s improved too. Speaking of mom, time to visit my garden with the phone for a chat. Wish me luck๐Ÿ€ Love to all๐Ÿ’•xxx

Enjoy your time in the garden Jade, and I hope you manage to get a laugh out of your sweet mom. My sister’s care has improved so that’s one less thing to worry about. It could be fatigue and the heat, because we’re just not used to it and her room is quite airless. The window doesn’t open very far, for obvious reasons, but there’s no aircon…..not something we have a great need for in Ireland!
    I googled that actor from Outlander, he’s certainly a nice bit of eye candy! ๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜Š As they say, “It doesn’t matter where you get your appetite, as long as you go home for your dinner!” ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜ณ
    I’m making the Hairy Bikers Spanish chicken bake this evening and will have enough left over for fd tomorrow. Still keeping the no snacking challenge…just! Sundays are hard because I feel like I should be able to have a treat or two…..get thee behind me, Satan! ๐Ÿ‘น๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ‘‰

Omg, I did reach my mom, while out in the garden, and as I reached to pull a weed by the brick steps – I swear I’m not making this up – I almost grabbed a SNAKE lying in the weeds ๐Ÿ˜ฑ – with its jaws clamped around a toad.๐Ÿ˜– Eeeeeek! I jumped 10 feet in the air, and my mom (who already was blind) is now deaf too, from my shrieking.๐Ÿ“ข๐Ÿ“ข๐Ÿ“ข Like an idiot, I then got a long stick and flung the snake away. The toad is mortally wounded I’m sure, but can now die more peacefully in the shade next to the tomatoes. However, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED as I got some chuckles out of my mom — whether she understood or not, she laughed along with me.

As a reward, I googled that Sam fellow from Outlander too, Fit, and goodness he is a hunk. I was already too old for him when he was born lol, but yes indeed it’s fun to take a ride on the eye candy express๐Ÿš‡๐Ÿค— I needed a diversion after my “gardening”!!! Hey I love that hairy biker chicken, great idea for dinner – save some for me๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ’š

OMG! Jade, I’d be at the business end of a bottle of brandy if that happened to me! I hope your mum has recovered and got a good laugh out of the incident, then at least, your terror won’t have been in vain! Come and stay in my BnB (no need for air!) and I’ll gladly make the chicken dish for us all ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’ž

Ha! The books are addictive if you like historical fiction. I loved them so much that I watched the show for that reason alone but I have to say, the tv series is of excellent quality and brilliantly done. The acting is wonderful and Jamie is a bonus!I am not looking forward to the Culloden scenes though.
    I am watching on Netflix and am totally behind.

I also am reminded about how vile it must have been to live in those times when it seems always cold, people always have to be uncomfortable and eat whatever they can get hold of. It totally puts a Fast Day into perspective!!!!

I was pretty good yesterday, and have now finished my 3 days of alcohol until next Friday, sadly. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Happy to fast today except salad in cold weather doesn’t really do it for me. There are worse things in life to deal with so I shall shut up and get on with it. Have a good day all! ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh what a beautiful morning it is today…after the last few days of constant rain and wind …the sun is shining and the birds are chirping and everything looks beautifully fresh. ๐ŸŒž๐ŸŒž๐Ÿ๐ŸŒฟ๐Ÿž๐ŸŒป๐Ÿ•Š๐ŸŒผ๐ŸŒพ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿ‚๐Ÿ

Had a busy day yesterday so did not get to post..finished my sewing for Ruthie and the little waterproof all in one looks great. All ready to parcel up today and post off to Tassie. Then we finished the day off by starting the over lander series off on Netflix. You are all so right..what beautiful eye candy…the storyline looks good too so OH and I will have something decent to watch on TV for a while now.

I have snacked and nibbled my way through the weekend..don’t know what it is about the weather but when it is cold and wet you just need your comfort food somehow. ๐Ÿ•๐Ÿ•๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐Ÿง€๐Ÿซโ˜•๏ธ๐Ÿช๐Ÿจ So can’t get complacent and will have to be more diligent. We were flooded in and did not know it. D was coming over yesterday afternoon for a visit and we got a phone all to say she could not get through, the road was flooded. So we went down to check the other way out and it was flooded too. Supposed to be going out for lunch today so hopefully all clear.

Up..I’ve also had my alcohol for the week so we are on the wagon together till Friday!. I will then have a few celebration drinks as we pick up our Canadian family from the Brisbane airport on Friday and travel straight home. ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ.

GG so good to hear from you. Don’t have time to answer everyone’s posts today as OH is calling me to get ready to go out to lunch. Wants to go early in case there is some floodwater we have to circumnavigate. We are meeting a cousin of his and he is looking forward to catching up with him. So good luck in the rain to those south of here and sending ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’• to everyone else. Ps OMG Jade re the snake story and your valiant attempt to save the frog.

Golly Jade, I’d still be walking/stepping high!! How awful, for you ……and the toad…….where did the snake end up?
    PH, I was sorry when the series finished, and now waiting for the next one, you do need an open mind as it does get explicit, but oh Jamie is lovelyโ˜บ๏ธ And it is hard to watch the human cruelty, but it’s history. I agree with you Up, we din’t realise what they went through in daily life until we see it like this. I’m glad I opened the interest in the show, it’s not often anything worth watching is on.
    Fit I hope Satan listened to you and if not, I do hope you enjoyed your treats.
    We haven’t had the big rains as predicted yet, but very cold, I’m at Glenns now, safely, and very cosy and warm. He said they are saying we should get the rains tomorrow now, …..all guess work again..
    Stay safe team, and dry, enjoy doing what you do and don’t let guilts ruin your day, just think positive with happy memoriesโ˜บ๏ธ๐Ÿ’—Xxxxxx

Hi all!
    It’s a beautiful morning here with birds singing, blue sky, warm sunshine…..ahhhh, heaven! I’m comparing with your description, PH, and agree about the impact of weather on food choices and our ability to stick to 5:2 when it’s cold, wet and miserable. I think the reason I’m able to face up to the snacking challenge now is because I’m not cold and needing the comfort of hot food and drink. It’s also easier to get out and about and away from the kitchen. I’m remembering too that last summer was when I got to my goal weight and as the weather got colder, my weight went up. Salads are on the menu a lot these days which helps avoid the dreaded carbs. Hopefully I’ll keep going in the right direction for the next few months and will have broken my bad habits before the cold sets in again. I hope the floods have subsided and that you and OH get out to enjoy your lunch. Best of luck with the alcohol challenge! ๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ’•
    UP, well done on facing your challenge too….it sounds like a sensible plan and very doable. I must see if I can get the Outlander books on my kindle. I’m not one for the gory battle scenes either. I couldn’t watch the end of Braveheart (a good deal of the film was made very near me at Trim castle). Poor Mel had a very grisly end…..yuck, but another piece of eye candy in his day….pity he turned out to be such a schmuck!
    CG, glad to hear you got to Glenn’s safe and sound. I hope you and menagerie enjoy a few days of pampering. Satan has backed off in the face of my Aussie determination! ๐Ÿ’ช BIFF! ๐Ÿ‘Š BAM! I’m fasting today and feeling strong and positive. I can’t remember if I said already that my younger daughter is going to be filming two of the professional dancers from Strictly Come Dancing as a promo for their dance exercise class! She doesn’t know which two yet but I can’t wait to find out, I’m a huge fan of the show.
    It’s a bank holiday here today, not that it makes much difference to me, but it’s nice for people who do work that the weather is so good for the long weekend. Best of luck to all for the week ahead. Stay safe, warm, strong and determined. WE CAN DO THIS! BRING IT ON! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’ž

CG glad to hear you’re at Glenn’s safe and sound! No clue where that snake went, as I was running in the opposite direction! ๐Ÿƒ๐Ÿ‰
    Satan is over this way, Fit – come give him a good punch in the face please! Great going on your no-snack challenge!๐Ÿ† Like you PH I unfortunately snacked my way thru all of yesterday, whether due to the previous evening’s wine, the snakeS – omg I saw a second one when I went to fill the bird feeder – or more likely getting on the scale and seeing that being virtuous did not impress it at ALL. HOWEVER, Scarlett O reporting for duty today, it is indeed another day and I am not giving up!๐Ÿ’ช But (oh there’s always a but isn’t there) an old girlfriend is in town, so I can’t schedule a FD. I’ll go for good old fashioned control and see how that works๐Ÿค”
    Up, I’ll have to get those books, very intrigued with the story now, but don’t like to watch gory scenes – I didn’t see the end of Braveheart either, Fit! But I’m looking for some good summer vacation reading – gosh I love not working!! Maybe just one more year of work in the old cow ๐Ÿ„ Off for my girly day – good luck all in whatever you have planned today๐Ÿ”†๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿทโ˜•๏ธ๐Ÿšด๐Ÿ›€๐ŸŽผ๐ŸŒˆxxxx

Have a great day Jade, you deserve it and cut yourself some slack on the snacking front. You’ve been holding it together for OH and D for ages now so it’s no surprise that something’s got to give eventually. I’ll give satan a good kick in the butt for you while you go out and enjoy your girly day. ๐Ÿ‘น๐Ÿƒ๐ŸŒโš”โ˜ โšฐ I’ve thrown in a few swipes at the scales too, dratted things! ๐Ÿ˜ Be kind to yourself, dear friend ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ’ž

Viewing 50 posts - 13,651 through 13,700 (of 14,786 total)

You must be logged in to reply.