Aussie Determination

This topic contains 14,766 replies, has 323 voices, and was last updated by  Countrygal1 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 6,501 through 6,550 (of 14,786 total)

• Hi team. a small update on our CG…… she has been taken down to threatre as I am typing. Her op will take place very soon. EST 2pm.
    I know I echo all our very best wishes for a speedy and pain free recovery. Will keep you updated as news comes……..GO GAL

Thanks GG. I’ve just tuned in and was wondering how she was going. Hope all is well with your family, too. You’ve flipped the page so I’ll go back now and see what the mob’s up to. xx

I am a bit better today thanks Lotus. but still have a headache and the shivers with an occasional fever spike. Am doing my FD anyway, since ‘starve a fever’ is best practice. Keeping fluids up and the redness around the tick bite is fading. Will just have to see if I’m incubating anything that shows up on a blood test. I’m having a very quiet day. Will keep tuning in to see any updates on our fearless leader. Thinking of you CG. xxx gyps

4PM EST….. Our CG is still in OT. I will call the hospital at 6pm EST and post with an update.
    GYPS- good to hear you are feeling better.Sounds like you have the flu like symptoms that can occur after a bite. Is your tetanus up to date? Take good care.
    ……..GO GAL

Thanks a lot Go Gal. Will keep looking xx

6.10pm EST… Hello everyone….. here is the update on CG. She underwent her procedure at 1.30pm till 3.30pm, The op was a success and CG is now in the ward . RTW at 5.30pm where she is comfortable with the medication on board keeping her pain free. . She is groggy from the anesthetic . Glenn insisted to let CG speak to me. All your best wishes were passed on to her.
    Will keep you updated daily with her progress……..GO GALxxxxxx

Great! Thanks GG, That’s good news, you’re a good friend. fingers crossed they’ve sorted her pain issues. and yes I have tetanus coverage. Am going to have some panadol and an early night. my FD was a grind, but tomorrow is another day. nite all. xxx

Hi team! Happy to report that my blood test reports came back and I have been able to reverse long term insulin resistance ( both family history and obesity working against me here) – halving the meds from today (metformin) to 500mg eat day and in a couple of months, hopefully fully stop them. Also stopped BP meds given as a precaution. So happy and grateful for this WOL – in six months, it did what five years of rigorous dieting and exercise didn’t 🙂
    For our lovely medicos on this thread –
    Dec 2014 HBa1C 6.1, June 2015 HBa1C 5.4 (normal range 4.0 to 6.0), and insulin now 6 ( so pretty less, more than 20 is bad)
    Cholesterol, triglycerides etc excellent (according to doc) . She only mentioned my thyroid was slightly less, to be corrected with diet not medicine. I have to now figure out how to do that… Seafood? Seaweed? I already have iodised salt.
    Woohoo 🙂

Also, for anyone concerned about fasting reducing the micronutrient (vitamins, minerals) in our bodies, tests proved that the micronutrient levels in my body (iron, vitamin D etc) were in optimum levels (doc’s words again). I have not eaten any greatly different than before – just less!! Also Fast Days forced me to fill up on vegetables instead of carbs 🙂

Sharing all this in the hope that any of you struggling with FD lows and hunger knows there is victory in the end. Your body is changing in more than just weightloss…

Realised the page has turned, just read updates -thanks GG! Good to hear CG is doing well.
    Gypsy, you take care too my dear
    Good night!
    GG – thanks and look after yourself too 😉
    And any news on FB? She’s very quiet. Hope all ok…

Oh muzzle! I just realised today was/is the 25th! CG , all the best for your op. Gypsy , I realised you have been unwell! Sorry I’ve been away, – a long story 🙁 GG thanks for the update, lotus, good to hear that you have had some good results. I have just scanned page 131. Even if I have not mentioned you all, you have been in my thoughts. Fit, Doggy, FB, Diit , mayhem 🙂

GG wonderful news & thanks for keeping us in touch with updates. The op was a success Woo Hoo as CG would say.

Lotus fabulous news from you too. How wonderful in just 6 months to get those results. You must be super thrilled!!!

Another FD done and dusted. Dreaming of what I’ll have tomorrow until I go to bed!
    sj XX night all

GG thankyou for the update on CG, good to know it was successful. Thinking about her a lot.

Lotus, such good news from you. Onward and upward (or weight downward) now 🙂

Gyps, hope you recover as you sleep.

Fitt, missing you and thinking of you too.

SJ you pumpkin type pie sounds interesting. Did you make it yourself?

YY xx

Taco (hi and welcome back mate!), SJ, YY – many thanks, yes, I am thrilled with results – but not wanting to rest on any laurels yet…
    Good night all – tomorrow is feed day 😉

Thanks Lotus 🙂

YY yes made the pie myself & very easy & super tasty. Will post on the recipe forum tomorrow. Have made it several times before but had never worked out the cals. So was most surprised when I plugged it into MFP & realised it was suitable for a FD at 280 cals. And it makes enough to serve 8 so can freeze some for another day & probably have for lunch tomorrow too. Has pumpkin, leeks & broccoli/zucchini – whatever you want to add in. You get a big serve too! suejen XX

Hey countrygal, thanks for the post. I’m new here, I assumed the fast days had to be consecutive but good to know that’s not the case. Will be starting my first fasting day this weekend. Got any tips for staving off the cravings??

I’ve had some weight loss success so far. I found that focusing on what I’m ‘adding’ to my life rather than what I want to take out made things much easier. Instead of focusing on removing fast food, soft drinks or chocolate, I focused on what sort of nice tasting yet healthy options I could add which would leave less or no room for the naughty stuff. Personally I love drinking home made ice-tea flavoured with lemon or a little honey. There’s actually a really nice weight loss tea with ginger/cinnamon flavours from Nude Tea which is in Australia. It helps keep me regular haha 😉 I have my own kombucha brewing at home which I’d highly recommend drinking daily, again really helps keep things moving and has so much good bacteria. You can get a starter pack online really cheap or may even find someone in your local area who is giving them away as they multiply. These 2 along with lots of spring water have helped me a lot already. Looking forward to seeing how the combo with the fast diet takes things up a notch!

Good morning ream! Happy Friday! 🙂
    Fit – thinking of you mate, hope you are doing ok through it all… Hugs xoxo

sorry – meant to write team not “ream” lol

Now, SJ has gotten me thinking of pie…on an FD too 🙂

mmmmm, pie…
    oh well. Tomorrow 🙂

Good Morning Gang
    Thanks GG for the update re CG’s op. Hope she feels super fine asap.
    Lotus, I am here, just nothing much to report. Very happy regarding your test reports. You are an example that this WOL works for weight loss as well as medical benefits. Congratulations!
    Hello all (SJ, Doggy, Diip, Fit, Taco, YY, Gypsy, Upt and all others) and welcome Newbies.
    Enjoy the weekend Gang, you deserve it!
    FB

Morning team…. Here is the latest news on CG… She is pain free and has been up to the shower…. still has not eaten anything…. but the wind is blowin!
    Our girl is in good spirits and remains her positive and humourous self.
    Welcome POSITIVETHINKIN- The tips for a successful FD are to keep your self busy, drink plenty of fluids and have soup and the HB egg in readiness . Stick to the 5:2 plan and you will see the changes begin to happen within days.
    More updates and etc later ….. Have a F.A.B day……GO GALxxxx

Great news on CG. thanks GG, for keeping us updated!
    FB – good to hear back from you and that “all is well” … 🙂

Hi all. Welcome, Positive Thinking.

Lotus, well done on good results.

Thanks, GG for the CG updates, great to hear.

Gypsy, I must have missed something while flying, a tick bite? Glad you are on the mend.

I am finally back in Oz after 3 planes. Got in about midnight last night. Scales are up a couple of kilos. Will start posting weights for the Friday weigh in next week as I am full of aeroplane meals and italian food!

Now to get back on track! Excited to be back in control. Hope everyone has a good weigh in today.

Morning the mob. wt is back to 84.1 kgs, so I hogged it on the pork fat, Oh well, at least now I don’t have to get all depressed about that. 5:2 will fix it eventually. I am much improved today, thanks all. Lotus, great report from you. So glad you and others are still only young and have literally saved your lives with 5:2. Good girl!

Welcome POSITIVE THINKING (great tag, but of course we’ll shorten it to PT) can I suggest you read back through this thread and also check out the “Home” and other info tabs on this site ( at the top of each page) they will give you a wealth of info and help to get started. In general, most of us chose Monday and Thursday to fast and weigh in Fridays to keep us honest. Please note, countrygal CG, is presently off line having a back op, but will soon be back on our tails. A great motivator, she has lost 25kgs and knows all the ropes, as we all do now, through each other’s experience as well as proving it works for ourselves.

You might like to see it as a new working test and leave your weekends free for blowouts and relaxation. As we mostly do. Though any day is fine and the beauty of 5:2 is it’s adaptability. It’s just harder to restrict yourself when others are playing and weekends usually involve social life. Hint: the more unobtrusive you can be to start with the better. The later results always speak for themselves, but you will have some pitfalls getting there if you set too rigid a plan for yourself.

Remember you only have to cut down your food intake for one day at a time. You can “have it tomorrow” and it shouldn’t be a drama for others, unless it inconveniences them. So prepare and organise your food and FD’s around that and it won’t be a hurdle. That’s pretty key. Doubters and scoffers can derail you and often do if it means you are changing their own environment by your restrictions. ie, if a partner/mate expects you to party or even have a family meal they’ve prepared and you’re fasting, it can be a negative for them. fits and fads give wt loss programs a bad rep, best to think of 5:2 as an overall health improvement. which it is. You can get the book by Dr Michael Mosley (the ‘fast diet’ ) on line or at all major book stores.

Meanwhile, keep letting us know how you’re progressing and you’ll get lots of help from other members. Check out the tabs, work out your Tdee (total daily energy expenditure)It helps to give you a guide to calorie intake, Plus we mostly have ‘my fitness pal’ (free download – google it) to count calories for the fast days (FD’s) and non fast days (NFD’s) if you want. It helps to start off by focusing on detail until they become part of your routine and then you can tweak it to suit your lifestyle. And do do your stats on the tracker, it’s a great motivator to join us losers! Luck.

So I’ve written another loooong rave here. Still some fasting wafties happening, I think, haven’t eaten today yet. (harrumph! still living high on the hog!), and the thread seems emptyish, CG’s personality really leaves a gap, don’t it? Hope she’s at least benefitting from fasting under GA! (xx old girl, we miss you!)

Anyway, It’s wonderful to improve instead of decline with age, isn’t it? (Apart from a tick bite, sidetrack) I haven’t felt better over all in more than 10 years. I have come down much the same road as Lotus with insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol all reversed over six months of 5:2. It works and is gelling into an easy WOE and WOL as all the pressure is off. Knowing what works with positive, personal results, assessed and proven by medical checks can’t be disputed. Thank God it’s Friday! Have a good day, losers! cheers! gyps

Upt welcome back to aussie soil and as you say control over your food again. Those kilos will be gone in no time!
    GG great news that you are pain-free CG (unbelievable really) and that you’re up & about already after a spine op. Amazing these days. Still positive & humorous eh?! Nothing that knock that girl down.
    Lotus sorry about the pie temptation but……you can have it today if you want to! I’ll post the recipe for you today and you CAN have it on a FD too depending on how you use your calories. It’s called Petrea’s Pumpkin Pie but it’s actually the pie filling – no pastry, but DELICIOUS. You gotta try it. I’ve usually made it in a rectangular dish (needs to be big) but yesterday did make it in a deep round dish so was able to cut it into traditional pie slices & almost convinced me it was a pie!

Well as to weigh-in day I’m actually up 400gr despite having good fast days this week. But never mind I’m hovering around the 70’s so will eventually drop to 69. Have been thinking and one big factor is that I’m not moving as much, either exercise or general moving through the day. It’s been so cold that you snuggle up in a chair & read a book etc etc. So need to get moving again. And for the first time I’ve been extremely cold on both FD’s so had to rug up with extra layers, scarf inside & long socks. Have been logging foods consistently so generally kept to my TDEE. I’m finding it harder to be under 500 & many days I’ve been about 520 just from having that something extra in the cold weather.

CG all the best for a day of slowly starting your recovery today. Take your time & don’t push things too quickly. Wishing you a steady recovery to a pain-free existence….you won’t know yourself!!
    Have a great day all CG Gyps DiiP Upt Lotus YY FB Taco GG and welcome to PositiveThinkin. suejen XXXX

Hey! Up! Welcome home! Great to have you back! I got a tick passenger for a few days whilst attending a bush bash in the QLD highland scrub country, but it died, I survived.

Great news about CG and of course I crossed several posts, so lettuce keep the faith and give her some reading to catch up on! Where are you gents? Yoohoo! Mike and Samus, stats please! How are you adapting 5:2 to the new job, Mike?

Pumpkin Pie recipe is posted in the recipe thread. Seriously easy and tasty. 289 cals
    sj XX

Ps

PT! Sorry, In all my raving, did not answer the question you had about ‘staving off the cravings’. There are some ways I’ve found helpful:

1. Firstly, understand the principle of fasting (by reading the info) and don’t short circuit yourself with little nibbles at every pang of the empties. Learn to enjoy being in charge of your undisciplined cravings. You’ll never do a better thing to feel great in your life, and it won’t take long. Once you experience the feeling of a loser you’ll never look back, just don’t give up. It will work even if you ‘half’ do it, there is always tomorrow to ‘eat a bit less’ and it grows on you. Success is euphoric, when your clothes fit better and you feeeel better. Especially if you have spent a lifetime failing (packing on lard and bemoaning the body beautiful, not to mention bad health)

2. Ignore negatives. Embrace your own reality. Are you fat? Unhealthy? Or just heading that way and looking for a fix? Congratulations, you’ve hit pay dirt! this is the right road, but you are in the driver’s seat. No one else can or will wave a magic wand and fix you. There is no pill for it (Unless it’s likely getting off the meds that caused it in the first place) You will have to go against many learned spoutings and popular beliefs to get to the simple truth. We eat too much, too often and too much of our food is actually toxic to our digestive system.
    Basically, a 10 hour fast between eating any foodstuff (while keeping up hydration) is the most effective for allowing the digestive tract to ’empty the bin of toxic waste’ before re loading.(but any break from the constant overloading is beneficial) It takes a week or so for this process over a few semi fast days (of 500 cals ) to get the sludge off ones liver and intestines. There may be some delay in weight loss, But if you know there are changes going on inside it is all positive.

3. Prepare ahead for FD’s. Get rid of temptation/ avoid snacking, count whatever you eat in your calorie total, no matter how over the top it may be (this is a valuable learning tip, you’ll be surprised how nibbles can mount up or how low cal some good fillers can be). Have your food for the day planned and ready.

Many of us only have fluids, like green teas & lemon water (both detoxers )till midday or later. This extends the overnight fasting benefits, plus once I eat it seems to ‘wake up the beast’ (as CG puts it). You’ll find the body adjusts quite quickly to less food intake and doesn’t get the ‘starving’ gurgles as quickly. Those, too, can be transposed to positive signs of detoxing (all that melting fat gurgling down the drain!) mind games definitely work and since you are into ‘positive thinkin” , use them.

4. avoid sugars, starches and limit any carbs on FD’s. They all invoke insulin to digest them and insulin creates hunger once in the blood stream. (you can have them tomorrow!). Note: that once insulin is in your system your will feel hungry, so if you have a cup of tea with sugar first thing in the morning, then you will either have to appease the hunger or fight against it. That’s a short circuit. green tea, no sugar, curbs the appetite, aids detox (with lots of antioxidents). Your choice. (but maybe facts help?)

3. Know your fillers and satisfiers. FILLERS: Hot drinks, like teas, miso or vegemite broth . I avoid fruit and fruit drinks on FD’s, try chomping on raw greens instead. All raw greens are fibre fillers and low cals. Many raw leafy greens , like lettuce, actually have an effect on suppressing appetite and do give vitamin boosts. Munch a handful when you’re feeling empty and try it. They’ll get you thru for hours. Plus others, like green capsicum and lebanese cucumber are good filler and pretty much zero calories.

SATISFIERS: Protiens , which actually use energy to digest (and don’t involve insulin) and even a small amount of fats, like a pat of butter can make all the difference. Try boiled eggs. Add small amounts of chicken or steak to salads. Canned fish is a good standby as it has the calories on the can. For beginners that’s always an option for calorie counting, to use packet soups/ baked beans etc. tho you will graduate to ‘fresh is best’.

Using lettuce leaves as ‘sandwiches’ is useful.

Avoiding or limiting modified or highly processed foods and sugars is pretty mandatory for the survival of the human race.

Full cream dairy (milk, butter, cheese) is not only healthier, but satisfies more with less than half the amount of the modified milks and margarines. Ah, well, that’s another journey we are all discovering. And our journey now is more like, well, evolution…. back to the beginning when food never came in packets!

Lastly, be aware that some foods increase appetite, by their enzymes, plus a lingering aftertaste that stimulates the tastebuds. They include onion, garlic and a load of sticky sweets and chocolate! Sorry! I definitely need to eat. Rave over. Page full. (just gap filling) Going now. Hoorooooo! (hope I haven’t frightened the newby off! xxx gyps

Foot note: The ‘gap’ is a biiig hole left by the absence of Madam president! And many of the above mentioned sledge hammer ‘hints’ are just passed down gems of wisdom from her. She just gets to the point a lot faster! Get better CG. xxx

Not sure about the Newb (who seems to have asked the question then disappeared?) Your post definitely helped me at Gypsy. Didn’t know that onions and garlic made us hungrier…
    SJ – thanks for recipe. Shall surely try it out!

Uptight! Big welcome back home. Have a rest, and then come back to fasting…

WELCOME HOME UP- Rest and get over your jet lag and tell us your news over the next days.
    Gyps- good advise- CG would be proud of her pearls of wisdom being given to new members. Well done on the informative advise.
    There is a BIG void on our thread while MP is off line, we are all more than capable of continuing CG’S continuing enthusiasm on our 5:2 WOL.
    Thanks LOTUS and SJ for those yummy recipes.

Spoke to CG this morning and all is going well , she was having physio and seeing the the surgeon today ….. have not heard back from her at this time.

No change on my scales today still at 71kgs …its plateau time again. I am still positive each week at weigh in,knowing that this will happen , stay around for a time and then there will be a surprise. Hope all of you that have yet to post have had a successful day.
    Enjoy your Friday night…….GO GALxx

Fast day got derailed after an evening out with OH… Not regretting it though, he is more important than any FD and usually ultra supportive – nice break, but funnily now that I am used fasting on Fridays I was automatically not hungry at all, so ate only 1000 cals today! So this week was 5:2 rather than 4:3. Not going to weighin tomorrow as its hormonal time for me. Know that it will be gain rather than loss this week.
    GG – glad to hear CG progress, so happy she is recovering well 🙂
    Plateaus are annoying!! But I think of it as a time for our skin and external shape to also shrink, otherwise we’all be walking around with saggy arms and turkey necks!

Almost bedtime again and I’m only now free to check in. With two older siblings needing time lately, don’t get to read/post earlier. This will pass.

GG, great news of CG’s progress. Thankyou for the update.
    FB lovely to hear from you.
    SJ am looking forward to checking out your pumpkin pie recipe 🙂 getting a bit tired of settling for ‘safe’ on FD just because I don’t have to think too hard. You’ve taken all the hard out of it for us. Thanks.
    Up welcome home. What a trip! Will be great for you to feel back in control again I imagine.
    Lotus you’re right he is more important, especially as he has been so supportive.
    Gyps good job!! Didn’t realise that about onion and garlic (not that I’m going to stop eating them – so there.)Guess you just can’t help some people 🙂
    Fit, hoping all the bits are falling in the right places for you. Miss you.
    YY xx

Sorry to be so off the grid. Grat post gypsy, the only one I really really read fully as of late. So busy. Practically chipping a tooth as a sit he thinking about it all that is ahead of me for the next 18 days. Trying to do this one day at a time. I have two trainings, family coming to stay, drive to California for a ‘family ‘ vacation which will be anything but, and then another training in califronia before driving home. Oh, and did I mention cramming in all my clients into two days next week?oh, and we a having a heat wave here 98 today, 103 tomorrow so scrambling to keep the garden alive. Last night I just couldn’t put words together anymore and was in bed hiding in a good book at 7pm, refusing to interact with the world. Bleh! One day at a time. Must follow my own advice.

However, I am so very happy to report that I went in to see a specialist and it turns out I do not have rheumatoid arthritis. My other doctor was wrong. !!!!!! ( that’s why they call it a medical practice. They are all practicing. 🙂 )What a relief!!! I have arthritis to be sure but it would seem that the medication that I took for cancer had some side effects that played into symptoms that mimicked RA. Can’t tell you how happy I am about that. I think managing a vestibular disorder daily is quite enough for now thanks.

Was able to get a fast day in on Tuesday. It happened all on its own. I love it when that happens. Gypsy’s post would be so helpful to anyone starting out. Great advice. I think women and men can be different. My husband seems to do better breaking up his calories into two of 300. I do so much better doing coffee and tea with maybe a hardboiled egg until later. I am hungry to begin with and then it goes and I am often quite comfortable until dinner. Then I have 300 calories or so. One thing I have been doing is saving a few calories for some raw local honey right before bed. It would seem that the little carb push really helps sleep. And I have not had the difficulty with sleep on a FD since doing the honey. If you keep it under 50, I believe your body will stay in fasting mode if some of you se doing more of a 16/8 routine.
    Looks like CountryGal is recuperating m. Sorry that I have been out of commission. Hope all is well with you all. don’t know when I will come up for air again, but will be reading posts when I can.

Take good care of yourselves. Wish me luck on the ‘family’ holiday. Happy weekend to you! Send cooling thoughts my way!

Raven

Good morning team, you have all provided some wonderful reading and very informative suggestions. Gyps, it’s like being in class with a favourite teacher when reading your posts.you have the knack of holding everyone in the clasp of your hands, well done 🙂
    It’s 5.00am and I’m up ready for a shower, going home today, for a rest, none in hospital as you know, but will wait for the next change over before that’s possible. Team, I AM PAIN FREE, I am so happy I could cry :), I would not have believed it possible. Obviously I’m tender around the wound, but that will pass, and I’m ignoring it any way. I do have a numbness in my inner calf area, (new?) but they are thinking it’s swelling around a nerve from the op and will settle. The day of the op I had a piece of toast and an egg at 6.15am, then nothing till yesterday at 5.00 pm….boy was that a fast. I have gone through 7000 ltrs of water, a few coffees and a couple of teas but no solids allowed. I fortunately bought in 6 sleeves of Jarrah hot chocolate, with me, which have kept me satiated as I’m craving something with body! They are keeping a constant check on my tummy, waiting for it to gurgle before they feed me? They seem Very happy when I pass wind so I’m only too please to accommodate as it’s all I do have! Fortunately, I’m in a private room (love the pension benefits) so…”where ere you be, let the wind go free 🙂 “I ordered Asian fish and salad for dinner last night (thinking light first meal) they came with a white sandwich with a bit of cheese and a few slices of tomato instead. How can a blob of white dough be classed as a light meal instead of what I ordered? I am so hungry I could eat a horse…..and then chase the rider!
    I must admit, doing fluid for so long now was easier than expected but wouldn’t recommend it, I don’t think it sustains the energy level needed for a normal days activities. I’m grateful for all your positive wishes and thankful for my mate GG, she IS our treasure and I do love her!
    When reading the pumpkin pie recipe, I could almost taste it, mentally adding diced bacon to it, that will be on my menu when I get home, thanks suejen 🙂
    It’s impossible to reply to all posts but have been keeping up, when the eyes stayed open….had a few well needed laughs too, especially over pepper Doggy, and a few other which brightened my day.
    Chris, my girlfriend is keeping the home fires burning, so an ambulance transport will be ordered today after the final physio and registrar check up, then I’m country bound 🙂 so hope to be home mid arvo.
    Enjoy your precious week end team, you work so hard, it’s your time so make the most of it. With the LCHF approach, I was averaging 700 – 850cals daily according to MFP and was NEVER hungry thanks to the butter, ff milk etc, but again, the jury is still out and I’ll give it a few more weeks whilst recouping and let you know. Fasting is a definite of course as is portion control, but hunger doesn’t even enter into the equation. Everything is so full bodied, and carbs are never missed, mashed cauliflower with butter out weighs any spuds for taste and cals 🙂 ….fresh vegs instead of rice or pasta….. I’m getting back on the podium and I shouldn’t even be using steps……..so will sign off, just needed to say thanks to you all, you really are my (adopted) family…talk soon team..CG xxxxxxx

Wonderful to hear such good news, CG, I do hope you continue to do so well, a wee prayer for you tonight won’t go amiss though!

Lovely start to the weekend.

Gypsy, I’ve learned something too, a mine of information, or is it mind – I’m never sure?

Waiting to hear your words of wisdom re my birth sign!

Another piece of veggie info, keep away from mushrooms if you have thrush!

Have a great weekend everyone, finishing my wine experiment this weekend, as I read somewhere wine doesn’t affect weight loss, hence the experiment. Just off to bed with a glass of savingnon blanc and a good book – difficult of course, but hey I don’t mind taking one for the team!!!

Any damage will only be short term as I’m doing the fast beach diet from the beginning of July, which means no wine for six weeks!

Great to hear you are doing so well , CG. Fantastic news!

Raven, vestibular problems can be awful. I only get them sometimes after flying and had a mild dose yesterday. The first time I had balance problems, I thought I was having a stroke or something!

Thanks for the welcome homes from all.

Sue Jen, I will try the pie. I have missed aussie pumpkin!

Gypsy, what a great post. I know onion and garlic contain FODMAPS which bother some people, but they are so good! Also glad you won the battle with the tick!

Milena, cutting out wine definitely helped me but it was probably a calorie cut as much as anything. Anyway, my first meal back at home was out with the family at a thai restaurant with wine! We all went for gelato afterwards but I resisted! They do say though that as your body recognises the alcohol as a toxin, your liver goes into detox mode which means it stops doing the fat burning which makes sense to me.

My daughter has been fasting while I have been gone and while she was already slender, she is definitely thinner. With the benefit of youth, 22 she seems to be able to fast and then eat/ party whenever she wants the rest of the time, so finds it a great strategy which some of her friends are now copying.

The kids all seem to think I look thinner so that helps make up for the couple of extra kilos I seem to be carrying after the last part of my trip. I think they went straight to my tummy, always my problem area. I had to go for a baggy top to go out last night.

Actually, re the gelato, I had some in Italy. Delicious. It reminded me about strawberries.
    In my experience, not just from my recent trip, I have found that Europe in particular, but also the the U.S, have much tastier strawberries than us. I wonder if it is the cold that helps. I have grown my own in the past and still have the same lack of taste in comparison. Any thoughts anyone?

Hi CG! Great to hear from you… So glad you are now pain free at last. Yay for you!!
    Raven – good to hear from you too. Vestibular disorder sounds painful, sending you my prayers… And all the best the (family) holiday 🙂 if nothing I hope it goes quickly and busily for you. Focus on the tasks, let go of the feelings…
    Uptight – wow your whole family is fasting!! You have literally trailed a blaze for your family and friends. Well done…
    I had a week of being a slack with fasting and this WOL – hope to be back in the saddle from tomorrow with 4:3 and LCHF

Hello AD’s. I’ve been away for a few days. Had some C —-P days with back pain but OK again now. Knee also on the mend and I was able to get out and have a walk this morning. Hurray. CG I’m so happy for you that your op was a success. Chronic pain is sooooooo debilitating. Gypsy I hope you are feeling better too.
    Welcome PT. I see Gyps has given you heaps of info.
    My FDs last week were uneventful. I’ve not lost any weight and measurements not changed but that’s not unexpected as I’ve done sweet B A exercise due to above issues. I’m planning a bit of a lazy weekend but will be strict with my TDEE. I’m guilty of being slack with it in the past.
    Pepper the Poodle pooch pup has slept in OHs room the pat few nights and I’ve managed to catch up with +++ lost sleep. I feel a lot better for it.
    Enjoy the weekend team.
    XX Dawg.

Melina, I can assure you the thank you prayers are going up constantly.
    Up, so glad your home safely, what memories you have made, and to come home to compliments, what more can you ask for. The fact the family is fasting too, wow! The young ones don’t seem to have issues with it but a great way to start their diet life off with, it’s a healthy way of eating for them to continue. 🙂
    Lotus, love reading your posts, even if you think you have been slack, it’s still all positive. Your basics stay with you and you are still ahead. 🙂 xxxxx
    Raven, I do hope things pick up for you, you have had a tough time, we are all behind you.
    Gyps, I found the garlic onion idea good too but still eatvthem, if they stimulate appetite maybe they stimulate metabolism too? Just getting the gastric juices moving 🙂
    Trying to rember what I’ve read through a foggy brain, but will try keeping up now xxxx

Oh Gypsy, that bloody tick, hope it died from alcoholic positioning! Please take care, I believe the bite is cruel. It’s one thing we don’t get down south, are they the ones that paralyse animals? Take care of yourself, your very precious to us all. Hope your OH is feeling his bright happy self too xxxxxx

Thanks, Lotus.

CG,paralysis ticks were a shock for me when we moved to Queensland. As a result, our pup was bitten at 4 months and I felt so bad that I hadn’t protected him with tick control. Fortunately he survived and had his first birthday a week or so ago.

Doggy, one thing that has changed while we were away is that our dog now sleeps inside! Our daughter was living here on her own and felt better with him in her room. At least she made him sleep on her floor! He is like a teddy bear! He has filled out in our absence. Clearly has not been doing 5/2!

Morning All. Told you I’d make it in daylight hours sooner or later ….finally!!!

CG wonderful on the pain front for you. Take care of yourself friend.
    Raven it has been so cold here for the past week (about time though) that I even had small twitch of envy for your heat. Hope things go better than you anticipate on the family holiday front. A good book helps to ‘zone’ out the unpleasant stuff.
    Up a little doggy TLC is a good thing, would have been great company for your daughter so deserved his treats
    Dawg sounds like you’ve got the Pepper problem sorted for now 🙂
    Hi Lotus ~ … that’s me waving
    YY xx

Waving back at ya YY! 🙂

I met my personal trainer this morning, and usually he tweaks my diet etc ( but had left me to my devices last few months as clearly 5:2 was working), anyway, now I have reached mid goal and the health markers have improved, I decided to ask his opinion on diet changes for non-fast days. He is pretty well known in his field as a food coach, so I thought to share his ideas with you, in the hope it will help you with your food plan too ( or not 🙂 )

Controlled Low Carb high Fat diet for non- fast days
    Breakfast 1 slice of soy linseed bread (80 cals) , 1 whole egg (80 cals)
    Lunch – 1/ 4 cup brown rice / 100 gms sweet potato (cooked) -110 calories
    80 gms fish or chicken ( sort of 1/4 chicken breast if you look at it as a schnitzel shape) 120 – 140 calories
    150 gms green veggies, brocolli is good as its high protein ( one serve of 100 gms has 7 gms protein – who do’a thunk it?) – 40 calories
    1/ 4 avocado for good fat – 75 calories
    1 tbsp flax seeds sprinkled on top – 60 calories
    1 tsp olive oil – 45 calories
    Lunch total 470 calories
    Afternoon- 10 almonds – 60 calories

Dinner – most of above except no carbs (so remove rice or sweet potato) and maybe no avocado. Dinner works out to about 285 calories

The total calories for the day comes to about 975 calories, leaving about 200 -300 calories for unaccounted for stuff ( as he puts it, no one really writes every morsel that goes in they mouth, or in the right quantity!), just to be carful this additional calorie does not come from bad food

My problem – I like fruit, so maybe I may replace the bread with fruit or for lunch remove the sweet potato and have fruit after?

Notes from coach – Stuff to avoid or keep for every special occasions- chocolate, alcohol, fried starches
    Hmmm.

Hay Lotus, great post, still waiting to be picked up by Ambo, could now be between 4.00 and 6.00 but at least home tonight. And got full okay from Doctors and team. The meals above are great except I still have problems accepting bread so would sub it for veg of some sort. Egg on a bed of spinach, and alike?
    But either way my friend, we ARE changing the trend to being healthier and still sticking to fasting twice. Week.. 🙂 , we will get there ….also my few nightly whiskeys will not troboule the cal count, why be miserable when eating the correct foods? 🙂 xxxx

Here’s wishing you a safe journey home CG 🙂
    Bread – apparently organic/artisan sour dough varieties are supposed to be ok for us. If we are supposed to back to “traditional eating” – would bread not be an integral part of it? Not sure, I am in two minds also.
    and yes, we do need “liquid courage” if we have to stick with all this healthy eating he he 🙂
    That said, I have reduced by alc intake to once a week, as it affects sugar / insulin levels 🙁

My battery keeps dying Lotus, sorry….according to the Dr diet site (you put me onto) says NO bread, rice, or spuds No carbs in that line or very little, but, as we know…being too restrictive does not work. We will get there, trial and error, at least with the fasting, we are getting there anyway 🙂 xxxxx

Yeah you are right, he advocates a very low carb diet. I find it difficult to follow tho – as you have correctly said, trial and error will get us there 🙂

Whoa! Easy to see the boss is home, I miss a few hours and the page is full! Wow! Bright as a button and barely a beat missing. I so appreciate your appreciation, old mate……

But…. hold up CG, I detect an anaesthetic hangover here, (or maybe a spinal block for initial pain management?) Oh, the euphoria of pain relief! Be it synthetic or from the actual fixing of a cause. If it involved invasive surgery, then it comes with all the limitations of HEALING TIME! Hah! I see you! And I’ve bought the tee shirt. DO NOT jump the gun, super girl! And do not ‘ignore’ the ‘mere irritant’ of wound tenderness. Forget fasting and think (once farting is nicely established) full diet and vitamins. Plus, ‘gentle exercise governed by pain threshold’ (providing its not ‘numb’ any bloody where!) and sleeeep/rest heals! You take it easy and don’t bend, twist (sweep) or set foot in the paddock until all possibility of post op infection is past. Then give the bones another 6 weeks primary healing time, but expect a full year to pass before callus/scar formation is resolved. Spinal intervention is major, even if it’s keyhole and looks minimal from the outside. And YOU KNOW THE DRILL.

But yes, you can tap computer keys (as long as you don’t sit too long) and I’m delighted you’re back in the chair!

As to my tick, I sprayed it with rid and (great minds think alike!) took alcohol internally, so covered all angles. She’ll be Jake.

I must say the newby seems to have scarpered, and I had more questions about the kamboucha thingy, too. anyone else familiar with that?

Lotus, great info in your post (as usual) You do good work, girl!

dAWG, uP, And all, I don’t advocate giving up booze, garlic or any of our favorites, either. To hell with that. It’s just a cameo situation to be aware of when we are trying to fast for our 2 days. I actually enjoy fast days (for personal achievement as well as the physical benefits) and I have made note of things that make it a battle instead of easy. Shallots in my salad (I looove them) are one of my hurdles.

Raven, You know you’re feeding the stress machine, right? Step back girl, and consider why the hell you would go on a ‘family holiday’ that is ‘anything but’? If that means you forfeit holiday time that you sooo need (by the sound of you!) then either don’t do it, or re-evaluate why you can’t have a ‘holiday’ in the company of your family. And address/ prioritize your personal needs, counsellor. YOUR KNOW THE DRILL, TOO! I can’t imagine the fog it would be to listen to client’s objectively (not to mention sympathetically), with the dizzys from a vestibular imbalance. Physician heal thyself! (go find a comfy cave and have your own holiday, without anyone else’s wellbeing in top billing)

Milena, Bwahhaha! Appreciate your selfless research on our behalf, into the effects of wine on weight loss. Lettuce drink to the reshultz!… hic…evening all, xxx gyps

Viewing 50 posts - 6,501 through 6,550 (of 14,786 total)

You must be logged in to reply.