Artificial Sweetener – Opinion and Experiences

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Food Meal plans and meals
Artificial Sweetener – Opinion and Experiences

This topic contains 18 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  alombari 7 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

• Hey,
    I didn’t read about the usage of artificial sweetener in the book and would like to hear about your experiences with it. Sometimes I find it tempting to drink a .5 liter bottle of coke zero, because it can be satisfying and filling, but on the other hand in messes up your insulin release and might give you a harder time during your fast day.

How to you go about sweetener in tea and coffee?

Hi Sebastian,

I’ve become accustomed to drinking my coffee black and tea the same. I recently listened to a piece about artificial sweeteners on Science Friday on NPR and the researcher being interviewed stated the same point you made about insulin release. This got me to think about not only my consumption of artificial sweeteners, but of sugar as well. I have had zero calorie iced tea and I can’t say for sure if it made my fast day harder or not. I am drinking more water than ever. Even on my feast days. It’s a curious change I’ve noticed in my desires and choices. Experiment and see what happens.

Be well!

….Not to mention the fact that (most) artificial sweeteners cause all manner of disease. I would avoid them. I do.

I also avoid artificial sweeteners, due to earlier negative experiences. They mess up insulin balance, and considering the ever-increasing cancer stats … No thanks. Plus Coke and other lemonades cause teeth erosion.

I am curious about the “natural” sweetener stevia? Is it ok to add to my tea?

jdematteo

dr mosley said in an interview

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130817/LIVING/130819763/1038/HEALTH

If I am craving something sweeter it would be a small number of strawberries with a scattering of stevia, the natural sweetener that has no calories.

Stevia It’s natural, which gives it a leg up over artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose for those looking for food that comes from nature, not a chemistry lab.

I’m in the UK. I haven’t seen Stevia in any of my local supermarket or shops though did see it advertised on Amazon, unless they sell it in Boots or somewhere else local.

Truvia is the brand name but I hated the taste and prefer Supersweet which is xylitol. Sainsbury’s and Waitrose stock Superweet in granular form. I think it is definitely the xylitol that got me off sugar for good and now I don’t have any form of sweetener but use supersweet in cooking.

I have a horrendous reaction whenever I accidentally take in aspartame (it’s not in anything made in the UK but I’ve been caught out with imported rubbish and whilst on holiday and it’s not pretty), so I’m very wary of any artificial sweeteners. I’d rather have less of the real thing. I only have fizzy drinks now when I’m out for a meal or a night out, so it’s real coke or nothing for me. I do have 2 sugars in my tea but it just means I have to work that into my fastday allowance and just have the one mug. It’s not a hardship – it just makes me look forward to it and appreciate it more.

After reading articles about artificial sweeteners – and suffering the side-effects of aspartame – I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole! Terrible stuff. Aspartame is a ticking bomb.

Hi Tracyj, I’m afraid your wrong about Aspartame and the uk, it is in anything from chewing gum to Robinsons squash in fact Robinsons make a big deal about it being in their drinks. Muller light Yoghurts, most low fat foods.
    Acesulfame K is just as bad but manufacturers use them because they are about 200 times sweeter than sugar for just a tiny amount.
    There have been no long term studies in humans but in rats they got all kinds of cancer.
    And to top it off Aspartame was made by the people who made agent orange which was used in the vietnam war, it is a major no no.
    I won’t have it in the house ever.

Pally666 – yes, thanks for clearing that up. I really meant that it’s in nothing that I would ever accidentally have here, although I didn’t realise it was as widespread as you have noted – Ugh, may have to be more careful!

I’ve mostly been caught out with imported fruit juice (thank you multi-cultural isle at my local Asda – I shall read the labels more carefully next time) and fruit juices at breakfast buffets while on holiday. It really is awful stuff. ‘Gut Rot’ doesn’t really do justice to the feeling it gives you. Last time I had awful gut wrenching cramps for a week and had a fainting fit in the middle of the hotel lobby to boot. Very enjoyable.

Sorry to hear you suffered so badly Tracyj, my boyfriend suffers if he has any microwaved food, horrible gut wrenching cramps, it alters the way your body digests the food but I have never heard of anyone else suffering from this and people think he is weird especially when you go to a restaurant and have to ask if anything is microwaved.
    Maybe we should start asking in restaurants if they have added sweeteners to the food.

this is not a computer glitch
    just checkmarking
    the
    Notify me of follow-up replies via email
    u should all
    4 ur topics & replies

wish there was a better way ugh

Tesco has their own version of granular Stevia.

Hi. They sell Stevia in Morrisons but it’s REALLY expensive. Tesco have their own brand which is much cheaper.

Stevia is in our supermarkets and not too expensive seeing u only use a very small amount per cup of tea or coffee. I started on Stevia a few years ago when i was told i may be prediabetic. It’s a different taste to the usual sweeteners with aspartame in them and will seem a little bitter at first, but it’s the one to use if u still want a little sweetness in your hot drinks.

8:24 pm
    9 Jul 14
    Edit | Reply
    Stevia is in our supermarkets and not too expensive seeing u only use a very small amount per cup of tea or coffee. I started on Stevia a few years ago when i was told i may be prediabetic. It’s a different taste to the usual sweeteners with aspartame in them and will seem a little bitter at first, but it’s the one to use if u still want a little sweetness in your hot drinks.

So, fair enough, most people are avoiding sweeteners? is there an alternative to add to hot drinks?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply.