April 2020 Monthly Challenge

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
April 2020 Monthly Challenge

This topic contains 574 replies, has 41 voices, and was last updated by  metatauta 3 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 577 total)

• Welcome to the April 2020 Monthly Challenge! Its my first time hosting and I’m happy to give it a go, especially in these uncertain times.
    The first monthly challenge was started by @coda in May 2016, since when so many of us have enjoyed the amazing support on our 5:2 journey. Here’s how it works:
    1. Brief introduction – helps us to get to know each other. Please use your very first post of the month to introduce yourself – perhaps say something about your beginning, journey so far, what you’re aiming for or how you are benefiting from this Way of Life (WOL). You might like to include your starting weight, or other measurements (waist, hip, bust etc) you’ll be tracking this month and your goal(s) for March.
    2. Spreadsheet – I’ll link below to this month’s spreadsheet. It’s in alphabetical order by username. You can record & track your progress – add monthly targets, mark your fast days (FD) or daily weights, as well as keeping track of how others are doing. It can help with perspective, accountability or planning. Any problems with the spreadsheet please ask – there’s always someone happy to help out.
    3. Format – Start each day’s post with the date, where you are, and if you’re on a fast day (FD), non-fast day (NFD) or controlled day (CD). We live all over the world and in different time zones so It’s helpful to know which day we’re talking about, who else is fasting etc. For example, I’m in the UK and don’t fast on Wednesdays, so on Wednesday 1 April I’ll begin my post Day 1 UK NFD
    4. Frequency – Some people post daily, others check in every few days. Some are brief, others are long & chatty. There can be 40 people around the world taking part in a challenge so we mostly post once a day. If you‘re posting for a second time that day, please head your post eg Day 1 second post.
    5. Content – Comments or questions, complaints or celebration – anything you’d like to share with the forum. Recipes, tips, tricks ideas are welcome too. Remember – we all have good days and bad days, days we fall off the wagon or days when we are hanging on by our fingernails. Whatever it is, you are not alone!
    6. Community – This is a worldwide forum is there’s almost always someone online. We all do our best to offer advice, support or solidarity.
    7. Pocket lists – Over the course of these monthly challenges, small groups have added their own mini-challenges. A ‘pocket list’ is a group who’ve set themselves a target and are supporting each other through it, mostly by knowing we’re not alone. Anyone can join a pocket list or start a pocket list for a FD– it’s entirely optional and flexible.
    8. 5:2 basics – answers to many FAQs plus top tips:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/
    As host of April 2020 Challenge I’ll aim to read the posts & respond each day. Please forgive me if I miss something. Here’s to a helpful and hopeful month together…

‘Be the change you want to see’

Hi @suki2 thanks for hosting April – I’m in!

Finally got some momentum going after hosting March – now for making it stick with you in April.

Hi @suki2 you’re welcome! Thanks for hosting next month, I’m in also!

Hello everyone 🙂
    I’m in as well.
    @suki2 thank you for hosting!

Hi everyone, and @suki2, I’m in, yet again, thanks for hosting April.

I’m in — haven’t missed a challenge yet! 🙂

Thanks @suki2 for taking on the reins!

I am in. Trying this for the first time. I have fasted for multiple days before. Let’s see how 5-2 challenge goes.

Hi, thank you for hosting the challenge. I would like you to add my name to the spread sheet please. I used to do these challenges but then I stopped. I have decided to restart them as I am eating too much being stuck at home. I want to get back on track and I found these challenges very good for support.

Thanks for hosting.

I’d like to echo the comments from @molij. I was doing these challenges, but then I stopped after reaching my goals, and having some moderate success in keeping the weight off.

After spending a lot of time at home recently, and with that fridge nearby, I decided it was time to restart.

Count me in please, @suki2. Thank you for hosting!

The list of acronyms & abbreviations from previous Challenges.

IF Intermittent Fasting
    WOL Way of Life
    FD Fast Day (500 cals)
    MFD Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
    WFD Water Fast Day (Water only)
    CFD Controlled Fast Day (1200 cals)
    NFD Non Fast Day
    EFS Epic Face Stuffing (we’ve all had one of those days!)
    5:2 5 days NFD:2 days IF
    ADF Alternate Day Fast, FD, NFD
    16:8 16 hours fast 8 hours non fast
    B2B Back 2 Back (days of FD or WFD)
    Hunger Dragon – that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied
    DD, DS Darling Daughter, Son
    OH, Other Half
    LOL Laughing Out Loud
    Keto, way of eating that generates Ketones
    LC, Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF, Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    TDEE: Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)
    TRE: Time Restricted Eating
    OMAD: One Meal a Day
    M/WOAM: Man/Woman on a Mission (courtesy of @i-hate-lettuce)
    PFDS: post FD smugness (courtesy of @penz)

Welcome to all who have joined us this month.
    April will be challenge in many ways not least because of the world situation and many changes to our lives. But lets hope that fasting gives us the sense of control we crave and many little successes along the way.
    Dont forget to post a little about yourself on day 1 and any intentions you have for the month. Here’s to a successful month.

Thank you @funshipfreddie for the useful list of abbreviations we all use.

USA

Thank you for hosting, Suki2! I am all in!

Thank you for hosting@suki2. I’m in for April. Will add goals etc to the spreadsheet.

I’m in!!!

Day 1, Tasmania, Aus NFD
    @suki2. Thank you for hosting.
    Let’s be as safe & healthy as we possibly can be. I will be ringing a friend or family member every day this month as well as doing 5:2 every week, 2 daily walks & 20 squats.

Day 1 Melb Aust FD

Jumped into April with a FD; let’s all reach our goals this month 🙂

Day 1, Emden Germany (being Dutch), FD

Hi everyone!

I’m a Dutchwoman (from Limburg in the South) living in the North of Germany, married, owner of a lovely cat, 63 y.o, 163 cm/5ft 4in tall. My weight was 56 kg/126.5lbs all my adult life until starting a new job in 2011 where my weight crept up to 72.9 kg. I read the book and joined the challenges from March 2017 on. I lost 20 kg very quickly doing the basic 5:2. I retired in April 2018 and maintenance became a struggle. I lost motivation and gained again. Starting weight this month 63.2kg139.3lbs.

Pocket list day 1, just copy and paste the list and add your name to it, if you want to join us.

@betsylee
    @snowflake56

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 1 UK NFD

Hi been on and off the challenges for 3-4 years and weight has gone up and down depending on whether I’m following the challenges or not! Managed so far this year with Feb and March to lose 4.5 kg (10 lb). So my starting weight this challenge is 62.3 kg (137 lb) and goal for April is to get as near to my target of 60 kg (132) as I can.

Good luck to all fasters today and stay safe.

Day 1 – FD – Ireland – 168lbs
    Thank you @suki2 for hosting us in April and during these extraordinary times!
    So..a little about me… I’m in my very late forties and the first challenge I joined was October 2017…and I’ve been intermittently fasting in all senses of that phrase since then 😂 … my name J’aifaim is french for I’m Hungry but also stands for “Just Another Intermittent Fast And I’ll Maintain” a little play on words but the joke is on me as I’ve never actually maintained at my ideal weight since I joined but I will … one day 🤞 it makes me smile anyway…
    I am committed to check in regularly for 2020 and to log all calories in MFP/ i do find it hard sometimes to keep on top of this.
    I have two diagnosed auto immune conditions and high BP and a few other bits n bobs but I try not to let these define me… like some others on the forum, this now means I have to be very careful at the moment..
    I bob around 12 stone and ideally this year would like to get to 11 – 11 1/2 stone if I can.. I’m very active, very muscular but carry weight in my hips and tummy.. unfortunately weight comes off my face first…
    I love being outdoors even in our lovely Irish weather and cycle lots, walk, hike and play tennis although my wings are clipped now so incorporating more indoor exercise (joe wicks, yoga etc).
    I’m pretty much staying away from alcohol (Arid April Anyone?) and sugar as much as I can…
    I try to do standard 5:2 with fast days generally Monday & Wednesday but may incorporate a third from time to time .. my aim is to use this isolated time to really make a difference as there are now no external factors to scupper me… 👍👍👍👍
    I wish you all the best for this month, particularly the newcomers and anyone who has made their way back to us…
    Hello to all those who have stepped away or are lurking.. @coda are you out there I wonder? I hope all is well with you and your family and all those who have been and gone @rainbowsmile, @debster251, @redrockgirl, @anna6, so many now… wishing you all well in this crisis ♥️

Pocket list – April Fools Day! 😂
    @betsylee
    @snowflake56
    @jaifaim

Onward and downward ⬇️
    We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 1 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

I love a first day, a turning of the page, new promise of a new month. Just need to get myself in gear and start losing weight again as March has been…….bad for my weight.

I am 52, 5’2, Female, live with DH and our cat in a small village in a county just outside Dublin. I work in Financial Services and in these terrible times I am deemed an essential worker who can’t work from home so am allowed to commute to work! So apart from not seeing my family, friends and the kids….life not really much changed 😱

I found 5:2 in July 2017, lost 30lbs, maintained for a year, but slowly and surely I have got complacent and I have watched as 20lb has crept back….despite me weighing every day and attempting to FD. I am only fooling myself.

My motivation is not great this month, I need to have a big talk with DH and both of us try to get out of this comfort eating and drinking cycle we have recently gotten into. I mean, I had pizza and wine last night! On a Tuesday work night 😨

So hello to all on this great forum. April will be tough in the big bad world, so let’s stay strong here together.

Thanks @suki2 for hosting 👍

Day 1 – Lake District UK – FD

Good morning everyone,

First of all thanks @suki2 for ‘driving the wagon’ this month, let’s hope for a less frantic month for everybody.

My weight loss story.

I’m a 64 year retired old bloke, who needed to sort myself out regarding my weight. I certainly couldn’t join a club or go to meetings etc. Bit of a lone wolf in many respects, but having my breakfast coffee and calling in here every morning really works for me.

In the last couple of days I found a calorie counting APP I last used in September 2014, what an eye opener! On 15/9/14 weight was a somewhat embarrassing 20 stone 5 lbs or 285 lbs. I’d obviously decided to try and do something about it, I tried calorie counting and had some success, but found it hard. A year later 17/10/15 weight was 17 st 9 lb, obviously did well, but, this will no doubt be a familiar tale, I didn’t carry on.

At beginning of last year 19/1/19 my weight was 19 st 1 lb or 267 lb thought about it, and on 26/7/19 joined this group on the 5:2 forum, weight 18 st 13 lb or 265 lb
    Since July I’m down to a new low last Friday of 16 st 12 lb or 236 lb and feel a whole lot better, blood pressure and a whole load of things were much improved at my last medical review!

So at the moment I’m 49 lb lighter than six years ago and lost 29 lb since July just gone. It’s a slow process, but I have found the help and support from my friends on each ‘Monthly Challenge’ invaluable.

Each month feels like a fresh start, the positive comments, successes (and failures) ups and downs, without judgement makes it a fantastic help.

A brilliant group of people with a common goal, anyone thinking of starting, just dive right in, don’t expect miracles. It’s a long game to play, with ups and downs, but it really works.

Take care all.

@i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @snowflake56
    @jaifaim

Day 1 North Wales FD

I am 63 and fairly active. I started this way of life three years ago and successfully lost a lot of weight. When I gave up the challenges I was good for about 6 months. Although I continued to fast I started eating much more on my non fast days. I then started to skip the odd fast day. As a result a lot of weight has gone back on. With being on lockdown I am hoping to start to control my eating again. Difficult when I cannot see my daughters and grandchildren for the foreseeable future as I am asthmatic. This challenge worked for me before and I know with your help it will work for me again. I CAN DO THIS 💪💪💪💪.

Day 1 UK FD

Morning all – I’m late 50s and live on the English South Coast with my husband . I did my first challenge way back in May 2016 ? with Coda and a few others that are on here now Lost the bit of extra weight I needed to and tootled along quite happily maintaining until last year My husband retired fairly recently and we’ve but doing quite a lot of travelling and woosh I somehow managed to put on around 20lbs ! I’m currently just under 11st and if I can get to just under 10st I’ll be happy . Will be fasting Monday’s and Wednesdays but will need to revisit my NFD routine as like a few others some naughty habits have crept in in the last week or so
    @i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @snowflake56
    @jaifaim
    @molij
    @brightonbelle

Good Luck for April 💪

Day 1 Oxfordshire, UK – NFD
    Hello everyone. I’m a 58 female, retired. 1 DH, 1 DD with partner, 1 DS & 1 cocker spaniel.
    Lost 3 stone with 5:2 2014-15. Gradually put some of that back on. Started these challenges in August 2019. I have 2kg to go till goal. That will be my main intention for this month. Plus continuing with the running plan.
    My first time hosting which I am looking forward too.
    @mogaman the spreadsheet is the 2nd post on Page 1 of April forum.
    @ihatelettuce your tale is an inspiration to us all. It can be done.
    Although we are all limited on the exercise front we are so lucky to have great things available to us on the internet and much of it for free.
    Slowly slowly catchee monkey.
    Have a good day everyone

Day 1, London, UK, FD

I’m starting April as I mean to continue, with positivity & focus!!! Today WILL be a bog-standard 500cal FD!!!

My aim for this month where I’ll be working from home is to do some form of daily exercise, complete a minimum of 2 FDs per week, be mindful of the NFD madness and yes @jaifaim …………….. I’m in for ‘Arid April’. The booze can wait since being at home full time with a full wine rack just screams DISASTER!!!!

I’ll add a little bit about myself later since I’m at work, ………. at home, you know what I mean!! @daffodil2010, I’m desperate to develop a ‘water & salad’ habit ASAP!!! I too have 20lbs to dispatch as quickly as possible, I took measurements this morning and in comparison to April 2019, some parts of me have ballooned by 3-4 inches!!! I was clearly doing that ostrich thing I do, so it’s time to pull my finger out and get firmly back on the wagon!!!

I’ve only been fooling myself ……….. what a day to realise who the fool is!!!

@i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @snowflake56
    @jaifaim
    @molij
    @brightonbelle
    @flourbaby

Day 1 country west Australia NFD
    Whew!! Well Covid 19 happened – and I have been MIA for so long.
    @suki2, many thanks for hosting. This will be a great forum to keep in touch with all the restrictions. We have closed our state borders and now our regional borders.
    Only allowed to go out to work ( if able) , to get basic groceries or for a medical appointment.
    Crazy times indeed.
    And what a good time to get the 5:2 under control.
    I did an online heart quiz and found that my heart age is 76 – and I am only early 60😔
    So upping the exercise, watching the way I do 5:2 which has admittedly been out the window for a few weeks.
    Hoping you are all well across the world. 🙏🤞
    Looking forward to catching up when I catch my breath. 👅
    I’m still working so very stressful but not the worst thing.👩‍⚕️
    There have been worse times in history and there are folk much worse off than me. 😷
    Stay well.🙃

Day 1, second post FD800 (morphed from a FD, but still okay)

@lily martin, had to jump in – don’t believe the online heart age quiz from the Heart Foundation. I did it and was given a really high heart age, so redid it, putting in all the ideal parameters for me, ideal weight, low cholesterol, non-smoker, etc., but with a family history of heart disease, still came out several years over my current age. Sorry, that’s just rubbish! Doesn’t account for the fact that both my parents were smokers, which doubles the risk of heart disease, and I’m not. Please don’t take your results to heart; they can’t be trusted.

About me – 70-year-old female, single, retired ESL teacher and former medical laboratory scientist, whose household is ruled by a ginger tabby named Wilbur. Currently working on a doctorate degree, which keeps me busy. Love church and my involvement there, have some great friends, but really need to lose a lot more weight. I lost 13 kgs last year, regained 10 (how?!!) and have lost 8 of those in the past 2 months. Determined to continue till I reach my goal weight. 5:2 really seems to suit me, and if the overall trend is downwards, will get there eventually. I remind myself frequently that this is a WOL, not a diet, so I’m in it for the long haul.

Onward and downwards everyone!

Day 1 – UK – FD

@suki2 – Thank you for hosting us in April especially during these very testing times of self isolation! It will be a real test of our willpower being at home so much with all the temptations on offer……….

I wasn’t planning on a FD today but as we are over half way through the day already and I have yet to eat anything I might as well join today’s fasting gang and what better way to start a challenge!!!

A wonderfully restorative yoga class via zoom with my regular teacher this morning – there were 25 of us joining in from our homes 🙏

I then went to deliver the gluten free cake I made yesterday for an elderly neighbour who is self isolating for medical reasons – I hope it’s OK when she cuts into it 🤞

Back home and showered and decided to log into here to catch up and start as I mean to go on for this April Challenge, by logging in daily for motivation and support as I have been absent for most of March for personal reasons……….

Well I had better share a bit about me for those new to these challenges
    I am a 61y.o. female, married, with a grown up and married daughter who has 3 fur babies 2 cats and an adorable beagle called Archie.
    Height = 163cm/5ft 4in and I started this WOL on my own in January 2016 – joined the challenges in November 2016 as I had plateaued for around 3 months and then reached maintenance in early December 2016 and have been in maintenance range of 54-56kg/119-123.5lbs and a BMI of just over 20 since then!
    I retired in December 2013 and moved to the Lake District and in my retirement discovered a love for exercise, currently doing yoga 🙏 which I discovered over 4 years ago and it has just been the best thing for me, both physically and mentally. I also do Broga, pilates, aerobics and hiking on the fells in my beloved Lake District ⛰ and in my spare time do some volunteering in my local community

Health improvement markers since starting this WOL:-
    1. Total weight loss = 22kg/3st 7lbs
    2. Full of energy!
    3. Mental health changes = sleeping well, waking up feeling good in myself and happy with my life☺
    4. My Asthma is controlled to the extent that I no longer use any inhalers either treatment or preventative!
    5. My blood cholesterol has improved so much that currently it is just above normal range

Best advice I can give to anyone new to this WOL/WOE is to:-
    *Stick to the basics for the first month or two and see how you get on, then if you want to you can start tweaking things around but the basic diet works and is sustainable as a permanent way of eating
    *A good trick is to calculate your TDEE for the weight you want to be and not the weight you are and you should therefore lose weight a bit quicker and get used to eating less calories when you reach maintenance!
    *Don’t overestimate your exercise level!!!
    *Don’t add the calories lost due to exercise into your daily calorie allowance as it is already taken into account when you work out your TDEE!
    *Increase your water intake to a minimum of 2L/day.
    *Regarding when to weigh I personally usually weigh after my 2nd FD, for consistency, as I assume that this will be my lowest weight and it is motivating!
    *Some people who have a lot to lose have tried the 800cal diet – Link :- https://thebloodsugardiet.com/
    then switched to 5:2, but the 5:2 way of eating does work!

The following link by @simcoeluv should prove helpful and answer a lot of your questions:– https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

To lose the weight and keep it off we cannot go back to doing what we did before when we gained the weight! “IT’S NOT JUST ABOUT LOSING THE WEIGHT; IT’S ABOUT LOSING THE LIFESTYLE AND MINDSET THAT GOT YOU THERE” Steve Maraboli

My personal motto since starting this journey has been “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

@i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @snowflake56
    @jaifaim
    @molij
    @brightonbelle
    @flourbaby
    @at

DAY 1 France FD800

Thank you @suki2 for hosting this April.

I’m 62 and live in France with my husband and cats. I teach English part time.

A few years ago, I lost about 9kg following 5:2 when it first came out but gradually put about 6kg back on. Since restarting on 1st March, I’ve lost 4.4kg and this time I’m determined to get down to a weight I’m happy with and stay there.

I try to keep as active as I can which is difficult in these times of lockdown. Fortunately we have a big garden so I can keep busy doing that.

Day 1, Bavaria (Germany), FD

Hello everyone,
    I’m a 19-year-old university student in my 3rd (and soon to be 4th) semester. I’m German and Austrian to equal parts, but I’ve been living in Germany most of my life which is also where I’m currently residing. Curtesy of COVID-19, I’m at my family’s home, for they live at a lake and it’s far less cramped up here than it is at my apartment.
    I’ve had a normal weight for a long time. I was very sporty in my childhood and still am, but after puberty my weight increased slowly. Notably so in the year I spend at an English boarding school. Most of the international students absolutely hated the meals and went into town on the weekends to get all kinds of food, including sweets of course. Since then I’ve had a rather relaxed lifestyle with lots of parties, ergo snacks, pizza and alcohol. At the moment, I’m 1,70 m tall with 83,3 kg (that’s 5’7’’ and 183.6 lbs respectively for y’all using the imperial system). I’ve already lost more than 6 kg in the last few weeks and my aim is to get down to 60 kg (132.3 lbs). Oh, and I‘m doing 4:3 (or 3:4, not sure yet).
    Right now, I’m not doing as much sport as I’d like to. Normally I go bouldering about five times a week, and during ski season I do a lot of courses for little children and go skiing with my family. Both isn’t possible at the moment. To make up for that, I’m doing workouts at home and wander about in the park. Sadly, it’s still too cold to go swimming.

I’m a little confused about the pocket list (you write down your name on fast days?) so I hope i’m doing this right.

@i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @snowflake56
    @jaifaim
    @molij
    @brightonbelle
    @flourbaby
    @at
    @therese19

Day 1 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

About me:- David, 58. Originally from the UK, living in Kwazulu-Natal, South Africa. I started fasting in 2014 halfheartedly after seeing the ‘Eat, Fast…’ documentary. I got serious about my weight in March last year, about a year after I retired when my weight started creeping up. I lost about 8 kilos, and I’ve been maintaining, more or less, for about 9 months.

This is my 12th Challenge. Like many people I now find the FDs the easier part of this WOL; the tricky bit is not overindulging on NFDs. I actually gained 1.5kgs last month; my worst result since I started the Challenges. So I really want to knuckle down this month. I’ll be sticking to 4:3 until I’ve shifted 2kgs.

Thank you @suki2 for hosting the April Challenge. Best of luck to all; here’s to everyone achieving their goals! 🥂

@i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @snowflake56
    @jaifaim
    @molij
    @brightonbelle
    @flourbaby
    @at
    @therese19
    @funshipfreddie

Day 1 USA (Illinois) NFD

Happy to be joining the best group of fasters in the world for this April Challenge. I’m an old timer (will be 72 next month) as well as having joined @coda for the first challenge in May 2016 and been around ever since. Lost 35+ pounds doing 5:2 and have pretty much been on maintenance for 3 years.

I keep coming back here so I won’t gain much back!

Retired school music teacher in small-town Illinois, about 2 hours from Chicago. I do Silver Sneakers 3x a week, some yoga, direct a townspeople choir, do church music – sing or piano, and work at a new Children’s Museum we founded. Live with DH for whom I love to cook. Four children & 5 granddaughters, all who live a distance away.

This spring has found us doing plenty of yard work and now trying to keep active at home.

Welcome to all the newbies and great to be with the little band of continuers.

Onward and downward.

USA Day 1 FD

I think I will start the month with a FD. Hopefully, I will find enough things to do to keep my mind off eating! LOL I guess I can start by figuring out how to get rid of that gigantic dead hawk on my front porch! That was quite a thing to find first thing in the morning! LOL

@i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @snowflake56
    @jaifaim
    @molij
    @brightonbelle
    @flourbaby
    @at
    @therese19
    @funshipfreddie
    @ccco

Just realized it is April Fool’s Day! Maybe that’s why I have that hawk on my porch

Day 1(April fool’s day) North Canton OH FD

Thank you for hosting @suki2

I am beginning April with 5 additional pounds than I was when I started March. I was in a good place at the beginning of March; I was in maintenance, I had found my sweet spot and I was in a pretty good rhythm with my routine. Then the stressers of Mad March 2020 set in and water-fasting became very hard to sustain. March was also supposed to be alcohol free – I gave that up halfway through. But no point in dwelling on what was, when there is a whole new month ahead to navigate 🙂

I little about me: I turned 45 this year, married with two teenagers. While I am technically not overweight; most people say I am slimly built, I have been on one diet or the other since I bore my children and experienced weight gain for the first time in my life. I had previously been fortunate to lose weight as easily as I gained, however after I clocked 40 that changed and absolutely nothing worked. As you can imagine, I was getting desperate when I discovered 5:2 and it’s been a game-changer for me.

I have stumbled over the last 4 years, but so thankful for this forum because it has been invaluable in helping me get back on my feet. I have learned from the veterans on this forum as well as the newbies, and together we encourage, educate and lift each other.

It’s back to the basics April for me. The version of IF that I started with was 4:3 and that is what I plan to practice this month. I will attempt to water-fast at some point this month; I am not sure yet. But my plan this month is to:
    eat 500 calories or less on Fast Days, 1500 calories on NFD, logging everything on MFP, drinking at least 64oz of water every day, daily walks and continue my T25 focus class on Beachbody on Demand. I also intend to enjoy a glass of wine or two on Saturdays only. The goal this month is to find my rhythm, I expect the 5 additional pounds I gained last month will drop off as well.

IF is not a quick fix. It’s a Way of Life, but it works. Welcome to all who are just joining and hello there to old friends. @therese19 you are right – the pocket list is a list of those fasting for the day. its a way to be accountable as well as get support because you are not alone. We call it a pocket list because you can carry the list in your pocket 🙂 welcome to the group!

@ccco a dead hawk? No way!!!

@i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @snowflake56
    @jaifaim
    @molij
    @brightonbelle
    @flourbaby
    @at
    @therese19
    @funshipfreddie
    @ccco
    @basyjames

Hello All. Thanks to @suki2 for hosting the next challenge and to @michelinme for the March Challenge.
    I’ll continue to hover in the background if I may…..I haven’t been able to fast in ages. No willpower!
    Just know that if you stick to the rules 5:2 DOES work….beautifully. Good to see so many of you starting the month with a fast day. Go for it xx

@i-hate-lettuce
    @betsylee
    @snowflake56
    @jaifaim
    @molij
    @brightonbelle
    @flourbaby
    @at
    @therese19
    @funshipfreddie
    @ccco
    @basyjames

I adore musical parodies! This family reminds me much of ours …wish we had been this creative. All 4 kids, DH, and I sing quite well, but rarely had a venue to share like this:

https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/videos/quarantined-family-one-day-more-les-mis-parody/

“Les Miz” – terrific!

Day 1- Atl, GA.-USA FD

Day 1, Colorado, USA

I’m back after being AWOL for quite some time. In these interesting times, the sense of community that I feel from this board is just what I need, and so nice to hear from people from all over the world, when we share this threat. Also, as suki2 says, this can help give us a feeling of control in these uncertain times.

About me—I am retired 65 year old woman, living with my husband in the mountains of Colorado. I love to cook and eat, and don’t especially love exercise but I do enjoy walking in my beautiful surroundings, trying to do 10000 steps/day. I feel very fortunate to live in a place where being outdoors is easy. I feel so sorry for those that are confined to small apartments in crowded cities during this period of confinement.

I can see that the staying at home, less exercise and eating and drinking more while we just sit around is a recipe for disaster, so I am starting April with a plan:

Arid April
    10000 steps/day
    Yoga
    16/8, with some FD
    Do something creative everyday, painting, drawing
    Keep a journal to document my achievements and this weird time in the world
    Read this message board everyday

I find that 16/8 is pretty easy for me, as I don’t really like eating in the morning. It was so exciting to discover this WOL after a lifetime of hearing that “breakfast is the most important meal of the day”. I know that throwing in a few FDs/week will help. When I stayed strict with 16/8, I lost 10 lbs quite quickly. A few lbs have drifted back on, so for April, I’ll be more in control, hopefully.

I live on a dead end road with 8 houses on it. Yesterday was a gorgeous, sunny Colorado day, and in the evening many of the neighbors brought out chairs and cocktails and we had a spontaneous, social distancing happy hour. We were all more than 10 feet apart. It was so great to reconnect with people who I haven’t seen in a while.

Happy April 1!

Excited for a positive and healthy April, 2020! Beginning my new 5:2 adventure!!

Welcome @kimjoy37 – happy to have you with us! This is one terrific company of folk around the world. Where are you?

Day 1 – USA – NFD

Well, I’m glad to start a new month with all of you in the hopes that it will bring better news! I start the month out at 139.2, the highest I’ve been in a year! I say this tongue-in-cheek as I was 136 yesterday. Something I snacked on blew my weight up overnight, but as we say: “easy on/easy off”! I was unnerved by a straight 2 days off and cannot wait to get back to work tomorrow. I don’t think I would fare in a quarantine situation; I’m too antsy.

My Fitness Pal (MFP) is terrific for those of us who hate tracking calories. I also get great emails with healthy ideas, all for the FREE app. This looked good for me doing exercise at home:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/essential-exercises-from-a-to-z/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=MFP_Daily3_20200401_Control

Day 1, Md US, CD (sorta)

Thank you @suki2 for hosting this month! Quick blurb about me, I Am 41yo female and always been active, halfway thru my Pilates teacher certification but the last
    Years have put that on a pause. I work FT for a global firm, have an almost 6yo DS, 2 stepchildren who are twin almost 15yos and our house is full! I’ve been through a lot the past few years and put on weight, again, and really researched this WOL and wanted to try a yr or so ago but there was a loss in my family. I started this WOL in Feb, lost inches though the pandemic is putting a damper in my 5:2! I am, however successfully managing 16/8 everyday and feel a sense of pride and thanks for that. This group is beyond helpful, positive and thankful for it.

My hope is to manage 1-2 5:2 days each week this month and to support myself mentally and emotionally during this time of crisis in the world. 🌼🌸🌺

Also welcome newcomers!!

Day 2, NFD, Aus

Hello fellow posters!! Welcome newbies.

I’ve been working from home this week and just cannot find my 5:2 mojo (even tho @betsylee sent it back!) Still, daily posting means I’m not completely giving up. Life is just so… weird at the moment.

Hi @hyacinth – I was one of those who succumbed to the ‘breakfast is the most important meal of the day’ mantra. Not for me it aint!! I was ever hungry in the morning and finally gave myself permission not to consume calories I didn’t want. 5:2 is such a revelation. (Now. If I only I stick to it this month!)

And it’s raining which means inside with two wet monsters (aka my Australian Cattle Dogs) who are needing exercise and mental stimulation…. Not that I’m going to knock the rain!

Day 2 Melb Aust FD800

Managing okay. Strange to be living under such life restrictions, but it’s surprising what you can do if you try. I have a small unit, but I “housewalk” from one end to the other, and it works; keeping to my 8000+ steps per day. For exercise, where there’s a will, there’s a way.

@penz, so sorry, maybe the mojo I sent back got lost somewhere by Australia Post? 🙂 I’m sure it will arrive soon!

Pocket list Day 2
    @betsylee FD800

Day 1, San Francisco, USA, NFD

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 577 total)

You must be logged in to reply.