APRIL 2018 – MONTHLY CHALLENGE

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
APRIL 2018 – MONTHLY CHALLENGE

This topic contains 1,170 replies, has 81 voices, and was last updated by  AnneMarilyn 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 1,171 total)

• Day 1 – Dubai – NFD – 155 lbs

Really looking forward to this challenge and hoping to check in daily. I would like to lose 8 pounds by the end of April – I like your idea of not counting calories @merryapple – will give this a try too. Best of luck to all.

Day 1, Emden Germany, NFD

Hola @annypanny you just have to click on the link and next you click on the box you want to write something in, than just write whatever you want to. We love wine from the Toro region, are you familiar with it?

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 1, Brighton UK, Easter Egg Day

Yep, I have EGGS and chocolate. I will be exercising too and studying.

EGGIES

EGGS

Yum

Mari

day 1 UK FD

I need to join the challenge again as I have not been doing very well on my own. Maintenance so far has been a dismal failure with six pounds put back on already. I see this as a slippery slope and I want to get off it. I really really really don’t want that fat suit back. I like being thin. I like being able to move and bend and breathe without feeling sore and bloated and breathless. But life is rather difficult at the moment and I need some help, so here I am. Please help me curb the urge to comfort eat. This forum helped so much before, it is great to have somewhere to turn to.

For those who are new or have forgotten me a short history. I discovered ADF in November 2016 when I had ballooned to above 250lbs and had trouble doing anything because of my size and because of fibromyalgia and asthma and fatigue and because I was constantly in flight or fight mode. I knew losing weight would help me move but I didn’t expect everything else to improve too. But it did. Fasting and cutting out non veg carbs has been a revelation. When I don’t eat grains or sugar or dairy and fast for a good portion of the day I don’t hurt and I have plenty of energy and I can breathe and I don’t feel anxious. When I slip up and eat the wrong things and the wrong quantity it all comes crashing back.

I lost over a hundred pounds doing intermittent fasting. I don’t have an exact starting weight but it was over 250lbs. I went under 140 lbs in Jan 2018 and felt wonderful and really pleased with myself but after two months of maintenance it is back up to 146.4 lb and I don’t want it going further. I am 5ft 8.5 inches tall and my bmi is now 21.9. I know this isn’t bad in and of itself but the direction of travel is worrying.

It is great to read about the progress others are making, good on you!

My goal is to reverse the direction of the number on the scale. Back down to 140 would be ideal. I don’t want to use the database if that is ok.

Day 1: Gloucestershire, UK: NFD so starting off the easy way!
    Happy Easter everyone…

Day 1 Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 NFD

Quick intro: 59 yo female began 5:2 June 2017 at 159 pounds, today 134.8 pounds. Last month experimented with fasting mimicking diet and did a total 12 FDs in an attempt to push to my goal weight of 133 – result up 0.6 of a pound??? I overdid it and ended the month tired and ravenous so ate too much on NFDs. Lesson learnt…….for me it’s best to be a tortoise and stick to what works well so back to basic 5:2 on a Mediterranean diet with FDs of up to 800 calories on Mondays and Thursdays. I need to be careful as I am at an all time adult low weight, never before got below 140, so I have to start learning how to maintain my new healthy self!!

Wishing all of us a happy and successful April 😊

2nd Post

Plank pocket list for April 1

@rainbowsmile

I am adding a plus just for me: 100 squats and 100 situps per day

Mari

Day 1, Newcastle UK, NFD

Happy Easter to those who celebrate.
    Welcome back @fatrabbit – great to see you 🙂
    Welcome to newbies – look forward to ‘meeting’ you.

Short blurb about me for newbies:
    Started out February 2017 at 147lb. Have been down to near ideal weight on a couple of occasions but lack of self-discipline too regularly means I’m still on my journey towards my final goal. Biggest issue is my bad habit of drinking wine in the house – so once again that is my focus for April as I know alcohol leads to snacking – let alone damage to health & bank balance. I did go AF for a month at the beginning of this year and felt so much better – was convinced I’d never drink again. Alas, I gave in whilst on holiday – but that’s another story that’s already been told. I never did manage to get back in the groove after breaking my foot, no exercise and the recent loss of our beloved dog.

Starting out today at 138.3lbs -.2lbs on where I started out in March (I’ll take that thank you!). Goal for April – eradicate 1lb per week.
    Exercise: Walking as much and as often as I can. Taking up yoga (bought a book called YOGA made simple). Weekly modern jive evening.
    Alcohol: Signing up to the 5:2 Dry Group for April – and will not drink alcohol in the house unless we have guests.
    Food: Stick to 5:2 – writing down what I consume every day. I’m liking the food combining guidelines of generally not mixing proteins with carbs in the same meal and eating fruit on an empty stomach. I also cut out cow’s milk last month which has had a positive effect on my water retention issue in lower legs.

“It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.” – Confucius

Day 1, UK, NFD
    82.0 kg. March was a disaster and it was mainly driven by wine. So now it is time for a break from alcohol with Arid April, as @flourbaby named it.

Day 1 – Iceland – NFD

Again, thank you @shinything for hosting the April challenge, I am so glad to be a part of this wonderful community💜

This will be my 6th month of 5:2 and hopefully the month where I reach my halfway point.
    My main aims are to fast 3 days a week and limit sugar intake to one day a week.

Wish all of you a good and successful month🌼

Day 1, UK, NFD

Once again, welcome to April challenge everyone 😀 , lots of old friends and quite a few new ones who are just joining us this month, good to have you here 😊

A bit about me. I’m 50 years old, weight 55kg, 5.3 ft. I belong to tortoise club 🐢, yes we have that club here 😂 , and I quite like it actually. Slow is good as long as its in the right direction 🙂 . I didn’t diet a lot in the past, but due to some health issues over a year ago I put on more than a stone, which I would like to get rid of now. I also know that I don’t want to do some diet that excludes certain groups of food, be it carbs or fat or anything else, or be on low calories, because I don’t believe that would benefit me health wise, but also I always ask myself: can you eat like that for the rest of your life? If the answer is no than there is no point in doing it 🙂
    I also went ‘no processed food’ and sugar recently and I stopped using vegetable oil. I read few interesting books about diets and nutrition and the 2 that stuck with me and rung true were Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food by Catherine Shanahan and The Diet Myth: The Real Science Behind What We Eat by Tim Spector , my favourite. But anything that is a healthier choice is good 🙂

Hopefully I’ll do better in April and be just a bit closer to my goal, which is my usual 50kg .

Good luck everyone ❤

Day 1 UK NFD
    @shinything, thank you for hosting April.
    Welcome back @fatrabbit, it’s good to see you here, even if you’re a bit worried about where you’re going. You know we’ll all help with keeping you on the wagon.

Bit about me – 56 years old. Started 5:2 in Feb last year and started on these monthly forums in April when I was floundering. I was 240 lbs at the start, at the end of March I had lost 56 lbs- exactly 4 stones. So an average of 1lb a week. It might not sound much but I’m happy being in the tortoise club! There’s still lots more to go but being able to shop in normal shops again is a blessing.

I follow the 5:2 plan pretty steadily. I might throw in the odd b2b or do another FD if I want to step it up but I eat pretty much the same things as before except in much smaller quantities!

These forums have been the most supportive tool for keeping me on the path. I never could have done this alone, and in 12 months I’ve never had a negative experience. I think some of the people on here would make a better job of sorting the worlds problems than our politicians.

So onwards folks, Happy Easter for those celebrating.

2nd post

Welcome back @ciren2 and @fatrabbit anad a welcome to all newbies!

@rainbowsmile I’m with you on the plank challenge, have to do them first thing every morning otherwise I forget. Will try squats, don’t do sit ups, tried them last year and hurt my abs.

Plank pocket list for April 1

@rainbowsmile
    @snowflake56

Day 1 – Washington, DC – FD

Hi everyone! Happy Easter or Resurrection day for all the other Christians out there. For everyone, happy April and new challenge! We can do it!

Thanks for all the welcomes! Today became a fasting start since there will be a free nice breakfast luncheon tomorrow at work. While I don’t mind not eating among a group of eating co-workers, passing up delicious free food would be unfortunate! Lol

Pocket list:
    @annypanny
    @summerbug

Plank pocket list:
    @rainbowsmile
    @snowflake56
    @summerbug

Day 1…..Florida…..CD

Happy Easter, my friends!

@ciren and fatrabbit……It sooo nice to see you again!

Although today is a holiday and my Lenten sacrifice is over, I’m going to do my best to not indulge in crap!

Starting tomorrow, I’m going to try and do 4 solid 500 calorie fast in preparation for my girls weekend away, where there will be lots of food! I want to go away and not worry about what I am eating. I’m not going to be upset if I gain 5lbs.

Your riding a horse full speed, a giraffe is next to you and a lion is chasing you….
    what do you do?
    You get your drunk ass of the carousel!

Day 1 – UK – CD

Happy Easter – Joyeuses Pâques – L-Għid it-tajjeb – Felices Pascuas – Gleðilega páska – Vrolijk Pasen Cáisc Shona Duit – 復活祭おめでとうございます – Wesołych Świąt Wielkanocnych – Hyvää pääsiäistä
    God påske – Pasg Hapus – Frohe Ostern – El masi7 2am
    HAVE I COVERED ALL THE COUNTRIES IN OUR MULTICULTURAL APRIL CHALLENGE???

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend and feeling positive at the start of this April Challenge. It is lovely to see so many of the oldies here again and great to have so many new members joining and we are lucky to have @shinything hosting us for this 2nd spring month – hopefully a time of renewal for many!

Firstly a BIG WELCOME to those new @summerbug @stoic @elinor @sarahbob @tottie-2007 @annypanny – This WOL does work if you follow it and give it time. The best advice I can give to anyone new to this WOL is to stick to the basic 5:2 for the first couple of months before you start tweaking – The following link by @simcoeluv might prove helpful and answer a lot of your questions:– https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Welcome back @dingping @ciren2 @fatrabbit – great to have you joining us once more 🤗

For those new to these challenges a little bit about myself – I am a 59 y.o. (soon to be 60! yikes) female, married, with a grown up daughter. Height = 163cm/5ft 4in
    *January 2014 = BMI: 28.2 Wt: 75kg/165.3lbs – retired and moved to Cumbria so started fell walking and being more mindful about what I ate. Lost my darling mum in the September of that year so flew back to Australia a couple of times spending several weeks there over 2 visits until she passed away.
    *January 2016 = BMI: 25.9 Wt: 68.8kg/151.7lbs – for longterm health benefits and continued weight loss I started 5:2 WOL on my own
    *October 2016 = BMI: 22.4 Wt: 59.5kg/131.2lbs – had plateaued for last 3 months so decided to join the Nov Challenge which was the best decision I ever made!
    *December 2016 = BMI: 20.8 Wt: 55.3k/121.9lbs – so near to that target of 55kg! which I achieved a week later on 7/12/16!!! and have maintained below that since!!! I sit between 52.5kg and 54.5kg most of the time these days
    *March 2018 = BMI: 20.0 Wt: 52.8kg/116.4lbs

Health improvement markers since starting this WOL:-
    1. Total weight loss = 22kg/3st 7lbs and full of energy
    2. Mental health changes = sleeping well, waking up feeling good in myself and happy with my life☺
    3. My Asthma is so much better controlled – using 1/4 the dose of my preventer inhaler and not required any treatment inhaler for the past 18 months
    4. My blood cholesterol has improved over the past 2 years as follows:
    – Serum cholesterol down by 1.54 mmol/L
    – LDL cholesterol down by 1.81 mmol/L
    – Non HDL cholesterol level down by 1.41 mmol\L

I still do 2 x FDs each week for the long term health benefits. I follow mainly a Mediterranean style diet with a 16:8 eating pattern daily – no breakfast ever as I never feel hungry on waking; I like to save my calories for when I actually feel hungry so usually break my fast late morning or early afternoon depending on social circumstance or when I feel hungry! This allows me to indulge a bit on my NFD and enjoy some 🍰🍷🥂 without putting weight back on…………

@ciren2 and @fatrabbit – get hold of our hands and we will pull you onto that @bert1802 wagon for April – You can do this!

@cornish-jane @rainbowsmile and anyone else wanting information about a PLANK CHALLENGE for April – some of you may remember that I started one back in August
    Here are some useful videos if you are keen to start…..
    *Planks for Beginners: How to do a Plank properly:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASdvN_XEl_c&list…
    *A starter plank challenge video which can be built up on, once you can do the full 5 mins without a break!!! you can increase each one by 10 secs or more and so on…..
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqN1sEDXrIKXe16tZ5Yanw

Plank Pocket List – please copy and add your name if you want to join us for April 💪
    @cornish-jane
    @rainbowsmile
    @snowflake56
    @summerbug
    @at

My personal motto for this WOL = “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 1 – UK – NFD

Just an update after arriving back from a fabulous holiday in Fuertaventura – the ‘fabulous’ meant that, although the exercise was ‘through the roof, the eating and alcohol consumption were too! Result March ended up plus 2lbs…. however, I’m not despondent as previous holiday experiences have resulted in much worse!! This WOL has taught me to be much more mindful – I’m grateful for that….

@at – thank you for hosting March!

@shinything – thank you for stepping up for April – I was worried as the March days went by that we were going to be struggling for a host – I will be happy to later in the year but commitments over the next three months will make it difficult for me. Since joining in November I have found the advice and encouragement of the group invaluable.

So…. April…. VERY DETERMINED!! Only 7 weeks until I leave for holiday to celebrate the big 60! For the newbies on this group – I also have the t-shirt which reads ‘Tried all the diets…’ – Stick with it – this one really works and seems to sort out the mind which plays so many tricks with other plans. I have found that although NFDs are controlled and mindful nothing is off plan so if you really need and want the cherry scone (my ‘walk over broken glass’ treat) then you can have it… surprisingly, however, after a fast day I have been much more determined not to undo all the good work.

Newbies… don’t ever be afraid of asking questions – we are all here to help each other and you will find so may are generous with their advice and wisdom.

My target for April is 2lbs a week – other than a night away with friends there’s nothing which should get in the way and experience from previous months tells me that’s a very dooable target.

Although my experience is limited, compared with many on this forum, I have found that saving all my calories for my evening meal suits me very well… it helps me sleep better and end the day satisfied (maybe the two go hand in hand).

I have also entered for a 10k in a couple of weeks – training has been going OK (although very warm whilst we were away) and I think I should be in a position to make it (imagine a tortoise and you’ve a good picture of me jogging!) – I intend to look for something else for the middle of May to make sure I keep it up.

Happy Easter – for those who celebrate!

Onward and downward everyone!

Ooooo yes – forgot… please can I join the plank challenge?

Plank Pocket List – please copy and add your name if you want to join us for April 💪
    @cornish-jane
    @rainbowsmile
    @snowflake56
    @summerbug
    @at
    @toddybear

Day 1 Stevensville Maryland USA CNFD

Happy Easter and Welcome April. Yesterday turned out to be a unplanned FD, I was so busy cooking and preparing for today, I forgot to eat until dinner. Just a small salad and a glass of wine.

In a few short hours my house will be filled with family. I am so grateful for today. Really looking forward for so many to see my new transformation. I love this WOL, and still can’t believe I lost 5 pound in March. Going to set my goal for April, I am going to push myself for another 5 pounds and then I will start maintenance.

The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today. Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

ccco USA NFD Day 1

Hello, everyone, Happy Easter and Passover! I wasn’t going to write today since it is Easter but I was supposed to have two FDs on Friday and Saturday but candy got in the way. I thought I should come back immediately. Today will be a controlled NFD. I am only 7 lbs. from goal and, if I am lucky and careful, April could be my month!

fatrabbit: you should change your handle! You’re not fat anymore and losing 100 lbs is amazing! You are right though! We have to stay under control, which is why this WOL is so great. It gives us a second chance when we slide! Good luck!

MissyBear: I’ve been on the Mediterranean diet, too! I think that will be my heathy maintenance mode. I’ve temporarily moved over to a low carb high fat high protein mode because I lose weight more easily that way and it is a way to prevent diabetes which is a big problem in my family.

Rainbowsmile: Yay! I am the plank queen! Please add me to your pocket list. I’ve not yet been able to learn how to do that myself. Good luck this month!

Strawberriesandcream: Yoga is wonderful! Good luck on the April Challenge! BTW: yoga helps teach discipline!

Bert1802: Love it! I’m getting off the carousel! LOL Good luck in April!

AT: That must have been a challenge to write all those greetings in all those languages! LOL Very nice! Good luck in April! 🙂

Day 1, NFD, USA

Oh I am having a bad weekend – read good!! Very social, and lots of grog. And chocolate. So I am planning a Tues-Thurs inclusive FD this week. Not done that before but I think it will be manageable. You are here to help me hold myself accountable!

Welcome back Fatrabbit – great to see you.

Day 1 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Happy Easter everyone. Just checking in. It’s my mothers anniversary today so feeling a little sombre. She was taken at the ridiculously young age of 53, and I still miss her 26 years later.

Have a good day all

Day 1 USA – NFD

Just jumping in for a moment. I’ll write more about myself in a day or two!

Happy Easter to all who celebrate.

Onward and downward.

Day 1 -FD- Spain. Already posted early this morning so just an update
    Doing well …started this challenge with a fast day … I thought ‘Just go for it !’
    Kept busy all day … Determined to eat no more than 600 calories .. Internet , yoga ,sunbathe & first outside swim of the year
    Nibbled on cucumber ,beetroot & baby tomatoes if I was peckish …? 30 cals
    But I reall wasn’t hungry & think I coiuld have gone on for longer . ..but I had dinner at 5 pm ( Spanish time )
    100 grams Pork fillet cooked in a no stick pan with a spray of oil , 170 cals
    120 grams of baby potatoes 120 cals , cabbage 20 cals
    100 grams of frozen roasting veg , 100 cals with 1 t/s of rape seed oil ( 40 cals)
    100 grams of baby carrots 30 cals .
    A dash of mustard on the pork & a shake of home made mint sauce on the veg .10 cals
    Will have some fat free yoghurt 100 grams 40 calories
    And a little sugar free jelly … Not counting that as its only 10 cals for a pint !
    Skimmed Milk for tea 40 cals… I only have splash … & water
    Total 610 calories I think … Just a tad over my 600… But not bad for a first day I don’t think …
    How did you all do ?

So sad … My mum died aged 53 It’s been 50 years … You never forget their touch xx

@at, thanks for offering your hand. I’m holding on. @fatrabbit too, join us we are stronger together.
    Only two fast days in one year….I need to improve…ha…ha! The aim actually being two in one WEEK, (every week).

Day 1 UK NFD

Happy Easter everyone. I hope you are all enjoying your chocolate eggs (or not if it’s your FD!).

I had my first fast day yesterday and I am pleased to report that it was a success. I am feeling pretty chuffed with myself.

I have been a bit naughty today but I am looking forward to my next fast day.

See you all tomorrow 😁

Day 1, Amsterdam – NFD.

Starting April pretty well on 65.4kg, happy with that. Hoping for a successful month though a few trips with friends will likely make that tough to achieve!

@shinything thank you so much for hosting this month – it is my second month on this WOL and I already felt so welcomed and encouraged by everyone and especially @at – thank you everyone and I am so excited to be continuing in April!

Happy Easter everyone! 🐥🐰

Day 1, Rocky Mountains, US, NFD

Happy Easter to everyone who celebrates!💐
    DH made a wonderful Easter brunch! 😊
    Now we are going hiking with 🐕. Later light supper at elderly friends’ home.

I started 5:2 in February 2017, now maintaining around 122 pounds. Finding this wonderful forum was fabulous! This is definitely a WOL, not a short lived diet. Want to discard 2 to 3 pounds to have more wiggle room before leaving for Europe in four weeks!

Have a great Sunday everyone! 😊🥀😊🥀😊

3rd post

@daffodil2010 that must have been hard, she was so young, hugs

Day 1 UK Feast Day – Easter Day 🙂

Happy Easter to all who are celebrating whether going to church, gathering together with family or friends or eating chocolate eggs 🙂

I got up at 3am and went to pre-dawn service, followed by breakfast which I never normally eat. Easter Lunch with my lovely daughter and her boyfriend – delicious vegetarian specials from the Cote prix fixee menu, no pudding yes to a small glass of wine. Then home to eat Easter eggs! SO glad I stopped to add up the calories of today’s food before eating any more as it’s approx 1900 already. Not the best start to the month but after a reasonably successful sugar-free Lent I’ll take the feast day and start the Fasting again tomorrow, even tho it’s a bank holiday 🙂

I’m Officially On Holiday now until 9 April – yay! (It’s been a long term!!!) Going away on Weds to stay with a lovely friend by the seaside – sadly not Cornwall but Devon is almost as good! 😉

A warm welcome to all newbies, hope you find this forum as supportive and helpful as I’ve done these past few months. I began on 1 Dec 2017 at 180lbs and have lost weight pretty steadily – 6lbs down in Dec, 5 in Jan, 4 in Feb & 4lbs in March – just about halfway to my goal of 140lbs, and settling on the tortoise speed for the journey. I usually have 2 FDs, 4 CDs – making sure I eat comfortably within TDEE calories – and one feast day a week, throwing in the odd extra FD or B2B if I feel a bit stuck.

Welcome back @fatrabbit we missed you. I hope being back gives you exactly what you need to keep focused in the transition to maintenance

My goals for April are to lose 4lbs, upping to a daily adapted yoga & meditation routine and kick-starting my writing & gentle exercise again – going gently as health not so good lately and wrist not yet mended. But starting and seeing how i go. I’m beginning tomorrow by preparing today, starting early and living from the heart.

Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can

Day 2 FD Auckland

Happy Easter Monday! We haven’t seen or heard the Easter Bunny which I think is down to Macintosh the Westie… Delighted to say I had a small Whoosh (google: whoosh effect 100 Down for info) and am 85.7kg. Woohoo!

Sad to hear about your mothers @daffodil and @annypanny. My mother is tragically in a home frozen by Parkinson’s and dementia. She’s well cared for but too well if you know what I mean because the downhill process is taking years… A sad end to a busy life.

Stay strong everyone!

Day 1 – SW WA USA – NFD

Happy Easter on this 1st day of April!

I’m a 67 yr old teacher. Over the last while I’ve dispatched 45 lbs, mostly via 5:2. I’m thrilled also with getting out of tight US size 18s to comfortable in 14s. Over the last several months I’ve been in a bouncy plateau. What I do know is that I don’t want to go backwards. So in April I commit to keeping on!

Together we are stronger!

Day 1 North Wales NFD

I am a 61 year old retired teacher. I started this way of life in June 2017. After thinking it would be something I would find difficult I found it quite easy and now look forward to my fast days. I lost around 4 Ibs a month completing 2 fast days a week. I eat one meal a day in the evening on a fast day and if I feel hungry in the afternoons I will drink fizzy water as I find it helps with the pangs. This will be my 4th month of maintenance. So far it has been quite successful. By taking part in the monthly challenges I have managed to reduce my alcohol consumption quite a lot. I no longer drink much wine, I still enjoy a gin and tonic. I still fast two days a week to keep my cholesterol down and I have stopped counting the calories on a NFD. For the health benefits alone I am hoping to continue with this way of life. For the first time in a long time I feel I have finally got my weight under control. I read all the posts on the challenge each day as I find they keep me focused although I tend not to join in with many of the conversations. I really enjoy reading them. The people that take part in this challenge are very supportive.

Wishing everyone luck this month. Together we are stronger 💪💪💪💪💪💪💪💪

Hi Everyone

Hope you are doing well and having a nice holiday! I survived my first 4 day fast and now I am starting ADF tomorrow. That is alternate day fasting. Kind of excited. I am keto and ready to keep going!

That is awesome!! SO, I am normally OMAD as well. After this last fast I am ready to do this. Do you eat keto for your one meal? I feel like I will need the fat to keep me focused and I workout a lot!

Your post inspired me because I do not have time to be eating all day long on eating days. Plus, I look forward to my OMAD:)

Congrats on your success! I hope I have the same. I am not sure if this will be forever, but for now, I am going with it. I might end up back to OMAD someday. I really want to lose some weight in my tummy and I believe this plan will work!

Day 2 – Japan – FD 83.9kg (less than 83 now)

Working on my 21st fast of 2018. I’m a bit behind because I curb the fasting when I’m traveling.

Plank challenge? … I think my gut is still hurting from the last one. I’m been thinking of doing more planking but more like 2 minutes straight a day. I’m not going to formally sign up since I’m already a day late! Phew!

Seriously though I’m reading Brad Pilon’s “How Much Protein” and Dr. Longo’s “Longevity Diet” which have pretty different spins on protein. Some points from Brad’s book:
    * He recommends from 70g to 120g a day of protein as being enough for bodybuilding.
    * There isn’t really any long term difference in muscle development if protein is consumed pre, post or even 24 hours after a workout.
    * The key to muscle development is resistance training unless you take steroids, in which case you can build muscles sitting on your butt. Assuming you don’t take steroids and have adequate protein, creatine is better than more protein.
    * He used to push protein supplements and is still pro-protein but doesn’t believe the hype around it anymore.
    * The book’s focus isn’t on health or long life, just on building muscles.

From Dr. Longo’s viewpoint, 70g of protein a day is a lot and could be shortening one’s life.

Hi there

I myself find that I have to watch protein in ketosis because it just messes with my insulin. Fat is the key when you are not eating carbs, or I think when you are fasting this should work as well. But.. that is just my own opinion. ::)

I eat a relatively good amount of meat, hence, the protein, but I like to include more fats when I am fasting. Plus, it is good for energy for working out!!!!

Day 1 – USA – NFD

Happy Easter, whoever is celebrating! It’s already evening, and I forgot that I had no emails from the forum because it’s another month and I needed to check the box! So here I am.

Unfortunately, my second whoosh of the week did not happen (yet). I’m not discouraged; I’ll log onto the spreadsheet 162.4, which means that for March, I officially gained .2 lbs. I’ll make another goal 160 again and I’m sure by the first week of this month, I’ll probably reach it. Cruella is not going to dictate to me!

Day 2 NZ FD 2nd post

Hi @dykask. Protein is not stored. If you eat too much it is broken down and excreted by the kidneys as any renal patient knows since they are on very restricted protein intakes. Too much protein is not good for healthy kidneys because it increases their work load pp my father who was a renal physician. He also used to advise ultra long distance athletes. I’d be going with the Dr Longo advice myself.
    Cheers!

Day 2…NSW Australia…FD

Hi everyone
    Enjoying reading all your posts, all very interesting.

FD going ok so far – it’s 1pm Monday and I’ve only had liquid so far – will see how long I can go, then have dinner tonight!

I plan on being more focussed and mindful this month. Sometimes this doesn’t happen! Thankfully 5:2 is flexible, this helps a lot.

Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now!

Day 2 – CD -Spain
    Feeling very positive about this challenge … Determined to finish the month. Upped my yoga practice too .
    Can someone explain the difference between a controlled day (CD) and a non fasting day (NFD)
    It’s probably very obvious … but I always thought that when trying to shift weight ..,it was either fasting or controlled ?
    I suppose the NFD is one where you have a real blow out isn’t it ?
    Sorry if I appear a bit of a dimwit 😊 🤓

Day 2 – CD -Spain
    Feeling very positive about this challenge … Determined to finish the month. Upped my yoga practice too .
    Can someone explain the difference between a controlled day (CD) and a non fasting day (NFD)
    It’s probably very obvious … but I always thought that when trying to shift weight ..,it was either fasting or controlled ?
    I suppose the NFD is one where you have a real blow out isn’t it ?
    Sorry if I appear a bit of a dimwit 😊

2nd post –

@annypanny – a CD is similar to a NFD but usually below TDEE. NFD would be at TDEE hopefully. I think some have felt NFDs were not always controlled so it’s a consciously controlled eating day. BTW what area of Spain are you in? I love Spain & fell in love with the language and the people as I lived in the Canaries for 2 years back in the early 70s.

@ciren2 & @fatrabbit – good to see you on board for April.

Yes, together we are stronger!

Day 1– USA—out of control day, but it was a holiday

It’s still Easter evening here in the western US and we just finished a day that mostly consisted of cooking and eating. To me, holidays are a reason to get together with friends and share great food. Now I’m ready to start April officially on April 2 with a FD.

About me. I am a 62 yo woman who lives in the mountains of Colorado. I started in February and was thrilled to loose 8 lbs the first month. I plateaued in March, but at least I didn’t gain anything. For April I need to get more serious. I’m joining the Plank Challenge, going to commit to more regular exercise and join Arid April. That will be the hardest. I love sipping on a glass of wine in the evening while cooking dinner, but 1 leads to 2…

I’m so happy that I found this forum. I’m so impressed by what many have accomplished and the sense of support found here.

Planning on making those fat cells scream tomorrow.

Day 2, Emden Germany, FD

@at thanks for the “Vrolijke Pasen”! What a treat to fly business class, I’m sure you’re going to enjoy it, it’s such a long flight.

Pocket list Day 2, if you want to join us, please copy and paste and add your name to the list

@snowflake56
    @arelkade
    @at
    @bert1802
    @penz
    @michelinme
    @dykask
    @merryapple
    @borealis
    @daffodil2010
    @kerryn73
    @missybear
    @shinything
    @summerbug
    @hyacinth

I hope I got everyone who planned to make this a FD on the list. Did my planks and can feel the squats from yesterday, I only managed to do 20.

Have a nice day everyone!

@hyacinth– I love COLORADO! I used to live there and miss it.

I am glad you lost the 8lbs though. That is a good start and it keeps us motivated, right?

Happy Easter.

snowflake- I love your name!

Day 1 California NFD

Thanks for hosting April, @shinything!
    This begins my 4th month of maintenance. I reached my goal of 59 kg at the end of 2017. I started at 70.7 kg on May 10th. I do 2 – 500 calorie FD each week and am continuing that in maintenance. I just eat a little more on NFD now that I’ve reached my goal.

Good luck to everyone for the month of April! This WOL works and it’s not too difficult.

Day 2 UK NFD

Thanks for the welcome, I knew this lovely forum could be relied on for that:) Well rejoining gave me a nice boost into the month and helped me stick to the first fast day I have done in ages and my weight has dropped to 144lbs already. Easter wasn’t an issue because family stress meant there wasn’t an Easter egg in the house. There was a big vegan chocolate cake on the kitchen table which everyone else was eating but I have learned my lesson about grains and didn’t seriously consider eating any for a second. If I had had a piece I would have got a hangover from it, headache, flu like feelings, the lot. No thanks. I didn’t eat anything until 8pm when I had a generous amount of sprout curry, probably 800 calories worth as the coconut cream in it does make it calorific. Calorific but delicious. It was my holiday peace offering to the family as it is my sister’s favourite.

I am going to do ADF to get the job done as quickly as possible. I know it works I just need to have the self discipline to stick to it while everything is so difficult. Success in this would make me feel a lot better generally. I know it is harder to lose weight when you are down but it is easier to gain and I would feel much much worse if I start piling it back on. I have stuck to the no grains rule but have been eating ridiculous quantities of cheese and nuts and not enough veg as the kitchen has felt like hostile territory so I haven’t been cooking properly. In case you are wondering it is because my mum, who I live with, decided after twelve years of letting me have the office and treatment room for the sanctuary I run in the house that she was bored and wanted the rooms back so I am rather upset about having to move everything into an old leaky garage. It was a huge task but I did it but she is still not happy because I didn’t do it her way. I really don’t like my mother but I am stuck here because of the animals. Not a happy situation. Especially since my sister is delighted to see me kicked out as she has been wanting those rooms for herself.

Viewing 50 posts - 51 through 100 (of 1,171 total)

You must be logged in to reply.