Apple for lunch

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Amazon 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Hi, I’m having an apple for lunch on my fast days. Otherwise I don eat anything for about 11 hours ( breakfast to dinner). Do you think this one item could be hindering my performance do you?
    Things are progressing, albeit slowly.

The apple shouldn’t present a problem. Less than 100 cal. What are you having for breakfast and dinner? That my be a bigger problem.

Well, I’m staying within my 600 cal max. I have porridge mainly made from water with a slash of milk and teaspoon of honey, and normally soup for dinner. I do have coffees through the day( with a bit of milk added), that’s about it. Everything is properly worked out in terms of calories(including coffees). Just wondered if I’m doing something wrong? Losing about 3/4 lb per week. I’m getting there , but it’s slow going.

Swap the porridge for high fat low sugar plain Greek yogurt, handful of almonds and a handful of berries. Is the soup home made or out of a can? Try it for two weeks and see what happens. Do the same thing and you’ll get the same results. Honey = 85% sugar + 15% water.

The soup is glorious skinny soup(shop bought)
    How much yoghurt do you recommend? I realise the honey is basically sugar, but according to my calculations , the whole day including apple comes to about 400 cals.

Hi mike,

If your weight loss is slower than you would like, you are looking in the wrong place for the reason. What and how much do you eat on non fast days?
    I’m not asking you to tell me but think about the method you use (or not) to ensure you don’t exceed your TDEE and the food groups you are eating. Processed carbs and sugary foods need to be cut right down or eliminated altogether depending on how keen you are to lose weight and keep it off.
    Your diet should be plant based ie plenty of veg and some whole fresh fruit (limit juice and dried fruit), healthy fats including full fat natural yoghurt, nuts, avocados, olive oil, even butter (but watch out for the calories) and some lean protein. Lentils, chick peas and beans are very nutritious too, and very filling.

I’m not saying don’t eat good quality bread, cake, dessert, chocolate etc, on occasion, I know I would be miserable without them or a glass of wine, beer or a G&T, but they need to be removed from the daily diet and reserved as occasional treats.
    If that sounds tough I apologise but we’ve all been eating too much non healthy stuff and too little healthy stuff for too long. I know it is hard to accept that some things have to be given up in order to lose weight, keep it off, and stay healthy but every time I eat too much, too often of the above mentioned “treats” I stop losing weight or even worse, re-gain it. I also find that too much of some foods such as bread, and I make my own, makes me feel bloated and lethargic which isn’t the way I want to feel and reminds me that I used to feel that way most of the time!

I have a pretty healthy diet. I don’t go up to the TDEE on any of the 5 days. My progress is slow but sure and I was curious if there was something easy I could put right to speed things along a bit . I will try the yoghurt thing. I’m not a real health nut and I guess I just want to find the balance between max taste and fulfilment from food and maintaining a healthy diet.

I do eat wholemeal bread and pasta , but not very much.

I appreciate all the comments.

Hi mike and welcome:

The average weight loss on 5:2 is about a pound a week. It sounds like your main concern is that you want to lose weight faster.

The answer to your problem is easy, but not often accepted.

Eat less. Do it any way you want. Some don’t eat any calories on their diet days. Some cut the calories they eat on their non-diet days. Makes no difference.

The less you eat, the more (and faster) you lose.

Here are some other tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

@mike. What Amazon said is pretty spot on. Just choose real foods whole foods and you cant go too far wrong. Experiment with foods and monitor your progress. Figure what works and what doesn’t. You want to speed the loss up, so experiment for two weeks. Swap out the porridge for breakfast and see what happens. Do this for two weeks. No change or the situation gets worse stop it and try something else or go back to porridge.

How much do I have? Two tablespoons of greek yogurt, a small handful of almonds and a small handful of frozen mixed berries or if in season two large strawberries sliced up. How many calories is that? No idea I don’t count calories. Now Im not advocating that you don’t count calories, its probably a good thing initially until you get a sense of how much food equates to how many calories. Work out a style of eating that is sustainable. If I had to count calories every time I ate, for me that wouldn’t be sustainable and Id stop doing it.

Good luck.

Here’s a breakfast suggestion for you, Mike:
    Dutch Breakfast 290 calories 8 g fat 3.8 g fiber 16 g protein 36 g carbs 210 mg Calcium GF – if using GF bread
    one 2-oz egg, hard-boiled or coddled HINT: the hardboiled egg can be made days before ½ oz ham, low-fat from the deli ½ of an Arnold Multi-grain Sandwich Thin [50 cal] OR ½ slice 70-cal multi-grain bread [35 cal] OR one “Holland Rusk” [35 cal] 1/4 oz [1/2” cube] Jarlsberg cheese [if you used less bread, you could have more cheese] 2 oz melon or apple or pear OR a mixed fruit cup 4 oz fruit smoothie or green smoothie or unpasturized apple cider blackish coffee or blackish tea or lemon in hot water
    Warm the ham in a skillet, toast the bread, brew your beverage, slice the fruit, cube the cheese. Prepare the smoothie. [My smoothies are home-made. If you eliminate the smoothie, you could have another slice of ham and more fruit.]

So, for breakfast today I’m trying the yogurt and fruit option instead of my usual porridge and honey. Both are quite healthy I guess , and both have very similar calories. Is one healthier ?

I know the smal amount of porridge(40gm) seems to fill me quite well, but is this the desired affect on a fast day, I wonder ? , is the whole point I feel a bit hungry?

The whole point is that you create a calorie deficit so your body uses some of your stored fat for fuel. Feeling hungry isn’t a measure of success, and it is quite subjective so don’t worry about it 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.