Anyone else experience nocturia?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Benefits and side effects
Anyone else experience nocturia?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  inorde 1 year, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• I’m about to enter my 4th week of the 5:2 diet, I estimate I’ve lost 2-3 lbs so far. I can deal with the hunger on fast days, but what is driving me a little crazy is the excessive urination I experience at night on fast days. I am waking up with a full bladder every 1-1.5 hours, all night. I do not drink extra fluids in the daytime, I just don’t enjoy drinking lots of water even though everyone seems to recommend it. So that’s not the cause. I usually eat some chicken and fruit/vegetables on my fast days, after 8 PM. Around 3 PM I have some protein powder mixed with almond milk. I have some tea in the morning and maybe again in late afternoon, but again, not drinking a lot of fluid. Anyone else experiencing this? Did not find much information with google searches.

Hi Greg and welcome:

You are losing ‘water weight’. When you diet your body starts burning glycogen. Glycogen requires 3 to 4 times its weight in water for storage. When you burn the glycogen, the water is released. This will stop when the glycogen is mostly gone and you start burning mostly fat. Of course, your weight loss will slow at the same time.

Here are some tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

I’ve seen this explanation before, but what I don’t understand is why it doesn’t affect urination until night time on fast day. There should be some glycogen depletion from the previous night’s sleep, which I would think would continue during the fast day, as I work out on fast days, strength training and cardio, and don’t take in any calories until after 3 PM. But urination is normal until I want to sleep, then the dam opens up.

Hi Greg:

So you are asking about timing, not reason?

I could guess, but your situation is common so don’t feel like the Lone Ranger. It will end soon enough if you continue with 5:2.

Good Luck!

this also could be because ketones are irritating the bladder wall. This seems common for people with sensitive bladders when body produces ketones for fuel, as it would while sleeping in a fasted state.

I heard Dr Mosley say in an interview that fasting affects some enzyme in the kidneys which provokes urination. Probably happens at night due to fasting all day.
    This doesn’t happen to me but it does to my husband.

When I switch from a standard diet to low-carb I know I am going into ketosis when I need to pee a lot.

This lasts for a day or two and then I need to pee less often than normal.

My guess is that you are starting to go into ketosis overnight due to the fasting and exercise. The only thing I could suggest would be to cut back on carbs during your non-fasting days.

Looks like I’ve come a little late to this discussion but I only joined yesterday, did my first fast day which I found fine, coming in at under 500 calories, but then went to bed and had a dreadful night, felt really tired but ‘wired’ at the same time like I’d drunk loads of coffee (I haven’t had one for 15 years!) and like I constantly needed a wee, even if I’d just been. I hope this doesn’t carry on, a good night’s sleep is supposed to help weight loss!

The nocturia is one of the reasons I gave up on 5:2, literally up half the night needing to urinate. I switched to the “Fast 5” method of only eating within a 5 hour window (every day) without strict calorie counting and lost more weight and no nocturia. I like the consistency better also. As a bonus my blood pressure dropped into normal range, below 120/80, and got off my high blood pressure meds. Good luck.

Thanks Greg

It sounds like you gave the 5 2 a good go first and I’m obviously not going to abandon it after one day, but it’s good to know of possible alternatives. It sounds like everyone has slightly different experiences and hopefully this problem will be short-lived for me…

Yeees. I brought this up on another forum and everyone insisted I must have a urine infection ( I don’t). Every time I fast I get bladder irritation, needing to pee all the time in the evening ( and during the night) of a fast day.

Greg29,

I have the same problem. I am curious-what 5 hours did you pick that solved the problem? Thanks much!

I eat b/w 5pm and 10pm. But there’s research now saying that eating earlier in the day and fasting for the rest is actually slightly better for your overall health. I’m sticking with what I’m doing because I like to eat dinner and I’m used to it.

eat carbs as night snack. my window is from 12:00hour to 20:00hour.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply.