An American Can Do It Too!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Before and after
An American Can Do It Too!

This topic contains 29 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  YvonneB 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/20724219@N03/14982154634/

I started 5:2 in December after running across the documentary on PBS one evening. I had struggled to lose weight for a long time and figured I’d give it a shot.

Flash forward to October and I’m down 50 lbs.!

In March in incorporated boot camp workouts 3 days a week, plus running and other activities and while I’m not at my goal weight yet, I’m certainly in the best shape I’ve been in a decade.

Not finished yet! Onward!

Thanks 5:2 Diet for helping me to transform myself and my life!

Hey man, sounds great! You should never giveup, keep going to yur goals and dreams? Got some before after photo maybe?)

Hi, there is a link at the top of my post to my before/after photo.

Hey, American- looking great! I am about 20 lbs overweight, and am on my first full week. I already feel better, and am kind of enjoying the fast thing. I feel like less of a wimp, and like I actually have a shred of will power. Am a USA-er as well.

Hello all, I am a newbie. Started my first fast yesterday…started it after lunch and ended it at the same time today. Easy, since I slept for some of the time in there! Anyway, I am hoping this can help me shed about 15-20 lbs I have maintained and piled on after having babies. I don’t like the way this muffin top feels in my clothes! At 44 years old, I deserve to be in the best shape of my life. My kids are counting on me to stay healthy and happy. So here we go! I hope it works for me like it has others! (p.s. I am from Michigan!)

I’m from WI & also a mom :). Great job making it through your first fast! I’m getting though my second today. I can tell I’ve lost weight already. My pants felt a bit loose today :). I think this will be a great way to get through the holidays enjoying food and feeling healthy!

Sorry moved post.

Hello from Wall Street! I started on March 9, and I’m down about 5 pounds. That’s a whole size on this short one. I feel so much lighter already. I would like to lose another 7-8 pounds and I feel confident I can do it on this way of eating.

Hello from Ohio! Started today… very excited. have done fasting before but this plan sounds so much more realistic. feeling very hopeful

Hello Americans!

I am reviving this thread because, well 1) I am curious to see what happens, and 2) I won’t have to convert pounds to kilograms or stone.

I started 5:2 in late May, lost 12 pounds in two months and just finished a vacation where I backslid a whole lot.

So where are my fellow Americans and whatchya got going on?

Alex

American here.
    In the TN Appalachian Mtns.
    It’s impossible for me to lose any weight at all within 15lb of my ideal weight without this protocol. This Christmas and winter I got a little loosey-goosey with my eating and I was up 15lb again. I’m such a dummy sometimes. But I’m down about 5lb. 10 more to go. It’s slow going, as usual, but it’s going.

Hey Star,

I think thats pretty much a universal thing, you really cant move yourself more than 10-15lbs from your personal normal weight. Its genetics and body type.

I am in the Washington, DC area myself and just trying to find a plan that keeps me at a weight I am more comfortable with than what I’ve been carrying for many years. Probably a 15lb difference as well.

Keep it up!

Alex

Thanks, I’m trying. Snails go faster. Then I need to remember to keep a couple fasting days to keep the weight off this time so I can stop yo-yoing every winter.

Hi! I am American, too, and have been on this diet for awhile but am still navigating through it to find what works best for me. Currently, I am doing a 16:8 eating plan with intermittent fasting days, usually twice a week for fasting. What I eat seems to be very important for my weight loss. I can successfully lose weight on a low carb diet but right now I am trying a ova lacto vegetarian diet. I discovered that I feel better when I eat this way. I have 12 lbs. I want to lose and want to find a way of eating that is sustainable for me. My feeling that will be a flexitarian diet eventually when I get to goal.

I wish you all the best. BTW, I am from New York City!

Hi, all! I am American, too, and have been on this diet for some time. While I practice 5:2, I also eat on a 16:8 plan at the same time. I have been navigating the system for some time to find what diet works best for me. While I can lose weight on a low carb diet, I am currently experimenting with a ovo lacto vegetarian diet. Ultimately, I think I will maintain with a flexitarian diet because I do like meat and fish. I am working to find an eating plan that will work for maintenance, since that seems to be so hard for people. I have 12 more lbs. to lose and I will be done! Yay!

I am from New York City! Hope you all do well!

Hey CCCO!

I am a NY guy myself. I thought the american thread would simplify language and metrics, but now I gotta untangle flexitarian and ovo lacto vegetarian…. thanks a lot!

Good luck on your plan and the last 12, but are we ever done?

Alex

Hey, Alex! A flexitarian is a vegetarian who eats meat and fish on occasion but vegetables and fruit primarily. An ovo lacto vegetarian is a vegetarian who eats eggs and milk products!

CCCO,

Since are we have now become really close friends who can say anything to each other, a vegetarian who eats meat and fish on occasion is not a vegetarian. That’s a Brooklyn hipster who just wants to sound cool about what their dietary choices! Flexitarian = omnivore with a flare for the dramatic.

Seriously though, I think I get it. We all strive to a healthier version of what we do.

Alex

So basically there are only 3 Americans doing intermittent fasting. Now I feel kind of special.

I think there are a couple more on the August Challenge thread but they must not have seen this.

So maybe 6 of us.

Hello from NJ!

Loved the before and after photos. You look great!

I started on August 5th, and I’m 12 lbs. down. The “intermittent” nature of this plan is brilliant.

Count me in to the group.

Kevin

Another American here! I’m just over a month in and doing well. I have tried this plan in the past, but never gave it enough time to “click”. This time is different for some reason. Working on my last 20 lbs….the hard lard that’s been around a long time is the hardest to shift.

Hope everyone is doing well.

You go, Lori! You’ve got this.

Another American here from Northern California! I have just started the 5:2 plan and today is my 2nd fasting day. Monday was my first fast day and I actually cannot believe that I did it. I was pretty hungry when I got home from work, but I did stick to it. Tuesday and Wednesday were not good eating days. But I’m trying to learn from it all and move on. It’s very helpful and encouraging to read through all of your posts, so thanks to all of you. Have a lovely day!

Just wrapping up my 3rd 500 calorie fast day this week. I do more of an every other day fast rather than 5:2. Today was a bit more of a struggle for some reason, but I kept my calories low. Just had some bone broth and a hard boiled egg. Will finish the evening with some lemon/lime seltzer water.

Will weigh in tomorrow and hoping to see the scale go down a few ounces, at least!

Hope you’ve all had great days!

Hello Everyone. So glad this list is coming back to life! If for no other reason I suck at converting pounds to stones and grams.

I’ve been going 5:2 since May 20th. Been pretty good about the plan except for a 10-day vacation and the last week at work. Started at 196, dropped to 183 and right now am at 186 and recommitting. I have not worked out cardio or weights this entire stretch. I am lazy, which is apparently way more challenging to cure than your dietary plans.

So I wish everyone success and thank you all for your posts. Who was brave enough to post before and after photos?

Just back from a quick beach trip, so will resume alternate day fasting on Wednesday. I’m having a light day today trying to get my body used to the idea of fasting again.

Hello from Georgia! I just started
    5:2/alternate day fasting again and have to committed to at least 2 fast days a week, but will aim for 3 fasting days. I hope this thread will stay active.

Hi, YvonneB! This thread only recently became active again, so I don’t know how it will go. The most active thread is the monthly thread, which is a fun thread because it has members from all over the world. Good luck with your ADF. I, myself, do 5:2 as a vegetarian, which is working well for me.

@ccco thank you for the information. I am going to try the Vegetarian diet very soon. I think it is healthy and fairly
    easy to follow.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply.