Amount of Calories to eat on non-fast days

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
Amount of Calories to eat on non-fast days

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  idonotdonot 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• I’m in the middle of my 3rd week of ADF and I’ve been sorta winging it for the calorie amount on my non-fast days. I’ve been sticking to the 600 calories on fast days, but I’ve been in the 1700 – 2000 range on non-fast days. I’ve seen the calculators but I’ve seen information in the book that says 125% of normal calorie intake, but is normal the amount of calories based on my current weight or desired weight. Please let me know or direct me to where I can find out.
    Thanks.

Use the resources section on this forum to calculate your TDEE. It is based on your current weight. As you lose weight you need to recalculate. The 125% reference you make is I think a comment that one of the researchers Michael talked to who said some people over ate up to 125% of their normal eating pattern as a consequence of doing fasting. Try and stick to 100% or less on non fast days.

Thanks bigbooty. This seems like way to many calories to me:

Your BMI is: 31.8
    Your BMR is: 8597 kJ / 2055 calories
    Your TDEE is: 11820 kJ / 2825 calories

I have to eat 2825 calories!?!?!?

I’m Male, 50 years old, 6feet 2 inches. That seems like a lot of calories.

Side note – eventhough BBD told me never to trust a big butt and a smile, I’m going to trust you – https://youtu.be/RcbMW2-Goog?t=2m18s

The TDEE calculator is an approximation. It can be easily be +/-10% out. Of course you don’t have to eat up to that amount. Im 54 yo male 5′ 11″ so not too dissimilar to yourself.

What you want to do is get yourself into a routine that is do-able for the rest of your life and not treat this as a diet. Most diets end in tears as people can not sustain that sort of effort. I started out doing 5:2 and my two fast days were water fasts. I then ate normally for the other 5 days. I just found this easier to do rather than eating 600 cal. Over the course of a year I lost 20 kg (44pounds). I now do 6:1 and the one fast day is still a water fast. I maintain this for the other health benefits associated with fasting. Im not saying that you need to do this, Im just saying this is how I did it. You need to find a routine that works for you.

To make life easier for you I would avoid sugar (real hard to do as processed food has buckets of it) and simple carbs like, bread, rice, pasta potatoes etc on my fast days. Even on your non fast days I would treat these foods as sometimes foods.

Just a simple activity like walking for one hour per day will help. It doesn’t even have to be a power walk, I just amble along. Doing this will result in a loss of about 15 pounds over the course of a year.

Good luck, develop a routine that doesn’t feel like a diet, it works.

What’s tdee ?

thanks for that info i restarted yesterday and thought i can’t eat that much.

Just finished my third week, and the hardest thing to do so far is get in 2825 calories in on non-fast days without eating donuts. What makes it harder is that I try to get all my meals in by 6:30 so I can eat my one 600 calorie meal the next day at 6:30. I go for a 24 hour period in a fasted state. I’ve messed up before and ate late, and waiting until 8:30 wasn’t fun at all. It doesn’t seem like 2 extra hours would be bad, but it is.

Overall though, the experience has been good. My clothes are fitting better, I’m sleeping better and my general mood is better.

Hi ido:

Why do you have to ‘get in 2825 calories’ on non diet days?

Hi ido,

You don’t have to eat up to 2825 cals if that is what your current TDEE is. If you eat less and can do this comfortably then no problems, eat less. Most of the people on this forum have the opposite problem in that they find it too easy to eat over their TDEE on their non fast days. If your struggling to eat too much all the better.

@simcoeluv @bigbooty I forgot to mention that I’m doing ADF (Alternate Day Fasting) and from my reading on my non-fast days I should eat my total TDEE.

Hi ido:

Did your reading explain why you should eat your total TDEE?

I’m not aware of any reasons why you should if you don’t want to, but I’m always ready to learn.

I’ve looked but I can’t find it. I don’t think I made it up in my own mind. It was probably a post or reference link I saw somewhere on the forums here.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.