Alternate Day Fasting success

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
Alternate Day Fasting success

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Couscous 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Last year, I spent a lot of time researching 5:2 and in the end decided to try alternate day fasting (ADF), instead. My results have been pretty incredible (both weight-wise and health-wise), and I’ve been telling everyone I know that it’s worth a go.

I was so enthused by the results that I actually created a blog about it. During my research phase, I noticed that while there is tons of info regarding 5:2, experiences related to ADF are hard to come by. So I figured that it might be worthwhile to blog about it for people like myself who were interested in trying ADF.

If you’re curious about ADF, please take a look at it.

https://alternatedayfastingsite.wordpress.com/

If you have any questions regarding ADF, I’d be more than happy to respond. It’s truly been life-changing, and I wish more people would give it a serious go.

Hi Danjiki, I have read your post and your blog and was impressed with your research and commitment to ADF and water fasting. One item of info missing from your personal stats on your blog is your height in relation to your weights which are in the very low 60 kg. I have done ADF myself like a number of posters on the forum with no problems but return to 5:2 because my mind is more focused on that. Other posters have done water fasting in order to eradicate serious health issues, WiltUSA is a classic example of targeting the eradication of type 2 diabetes which she has done following several years of research, various fasting techniques and serious water fasting to reach her goals. Water fasting is not for every one. Many people have physically active jobs which need a high calorie intake to allow them to function or have different needs, goals or lifestyles in which 5:2 is more comfortable and achievable for them. This is not to say I am critical or negative about your achievements, far from it. My commitment to a healthy lifestyle is changing but is still difficult for me to achieve. I continue to return to 5:2 from time to time and am starting to look at healthier ways of changing my overall diet, visiting a clinical nutritionalist and researching the Blue Zone diet research and Dr Michael Gregers research on health and diet in order to gain a better understanding of the impact of foods on my health and which would compliment the health benefits of the 5:2 fasting way of life.
    Regarding ADF you may find further medically researched info on Google Schollar to assist your knowledge base.
    We are all different are we not?.
    Good luck to you all out there.

Hi Danjiki, That’s great to read of your success with ADF. I inadvertently experimented with it once and it threw me into an almost Addisonian crisis. My body doesn’t produce enough cortisol to counteract the extra stress ADF placed on my adrenals. I ended up having to stress dose hydrocortisone which I haven’t had to do on 5:2.

Hi Couscous,

Firstly, thank you for the feedback. Yes, weight without height (167cm) is completely meaningless! I will be sure to add that info into my blog.

Yes, I completely understand that each individual has different needs, desires, capabilities, capacities, living environments, and physiologies, so ADF is not going to be for everyone. Which is one of the reasons why I just embarked on a 7-day water fast — so that I have a broader range of tools to suggest to help people. The 5:2 forums were hugely inspiring when I was doing my research, and having taken/learned a lot from the Internet over the years, I thought that creating a blog regarding ADF could be my way to finally give back as it has been life-changing and I am passionate about it. Having said that, until today, I’ve only had 2 hits to my blog, and those from friends, so how much I will actually contribute back is questionable. 😉 I haven’t made any effort to advertise it yet, so that’s understandable, but at some point if it does prove to be a valuable resource and somehow makes it into Google search results (easier said than done, especially as I’m not the marketing type), it might be best to change the name to something less specific in order to reach a broader audience and have more of an impact.

What I have found immensely frustrating is the lack of general knowledge about fasting in the general population and the medical community and the fear associated with it. I know so many people in my circle of acquaintances (Asian) who I’m sure would benefit immensely from fasting but will never give it a chance. Instead, they will plod on with their lives with all sorts of ailments, visiting hospitals and doctors and paying and taking expensive drugs until their last breath. When, in fact, they could take charge of their own health and be happy and healthy and live drug-free lives.

To put things in proper context, my father is a doctor (retired), so I am by no means anti-establishment. Western medicine has proven to be extremely useful in uncountable ways, but it does appear that we have lost our way regarding certain aspects of health and healthcare and the old practices that were used for hundreds of years are these days vilified. My father, despite being fully aware of all the benefits I’ve personally experienced from fasting, still gives no credence to it. Mindsets take time to change.

Well, I should probably step down from my soapbox now. 😉 Despite all this, I know that in the end all I can do is to continue spreading the word. I’ve so far had two people I know be inspired to give it a go and are reaping the benefits. Whilst we may not be able to change the world, every person counts. With the power of the Internet, you never know who will read what and be inspired. I know I was. All we can ever do is try. It is really great that at least the 5:2 forum appears to be thriving, as it does appear to be one of the few places for liked mind fasters to gather and share their experiences.

Like yourself, I’m not personally committed to ADF for life. I do intend to see it through for at least one full year, which is rapidly approaching, more for the sake of a data reference point than anything. But after that, I may switch to 5:2 or 4:3 with quarterly 2-week long fasts, instead. Too early to say for sure really. All I can say for sure is that fasting will definitely be an integral part of my life.

Yes, I’ve heard from a couple of people that fasting doesn’t work well for people with adrenal issues. Both those people on two different continents, interestingly, turned to Ayurvedic medicine after having no luck with Western medicine and are recovering well, although it is apparently a yearlong process and they are both only halfway through. If you’re so inclined, you might want to do your own research on it.

Good luck with whatever route you take on your journey to better health.

Congratulation Danjiki for your ADF results and for the 7 Days Water Fast (I liked that active / passive fasters distinction).

I’ve also tried ADF, but puts to much stress on my body (abdominal discomfort in eating days and very low energy in the second part of the fast days). Or maybe I was not adapted, but now I’m feeling good with my current fasting routine.

I generally appreciate the blog idea, because is useful to be able to follow such an experience in this form. So I wish you good luck with it and to find the maintenance fasting pattern that works perfectly for you.

Thanks for the kind words, Adaline.

Thanks for sharing your ADF experience. I think that most people who it doesn’t work for don’t bother to mention it. Hearing these stories is making me realize that maybe it is actually harder to undertake than I gathered from my own experience. Glad to hear that you have found a fasting strategy that works for you, though. In the end, that’s what it is all about.

Nice to get some feedback regarding the blog. It will help me continue with my endeavor.

Hi Danjiki, thank you for your comments. You mention lack of knowledge of fasting in the medical community and the public at large. I agree with you but more and more research is coming to the publics attention about the impact that the Western diet has on our general health. For many, Heart disease, many Cancers and Type2 Diabetes to name but a few life threatening illness are as a direct result of our western diet. I agree that these illness are also suffered by many who have led a healthy lifestyle but research shows diet to be a major factor. Dr Michael Greger makes mention of this fact in his recent book but also states the impact that big pharma companies and the big food industries have on our lifestyles and our health. He also points out that in the USA many medical schools do not offer future Doctors a single course on nutrition and that in America Tomatoes were for centuries considered poisonous.
    Fasting, thanks to people like Michael Mosley, Krista Varady et al has been shown to be achievable and to deliver massive internal health benefits. We also need to become aware that fasting is not necessarily the panacea to all our ills and that a healthier day to day diet coupled with fasting is the healthy way to avoid western style illness and not to rely as much on drugs (with exceptions of course) to solve our Health problems.
    In short, prevention is better than cure.
    Good luck to you all out there.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.