Alopecia

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  kindle 9 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• My 24 year old daughter is suffering alopecia and was offered – but refused – steroids as side effects are awful and success rates poor. I’ve been a happy 5:2 dieter for months and feel lots of benefits. I wonder if she should try fasting? I know lack of protein can be associated with hair loss but on 5:2 one can have plenty of protein and anyway it is intermittent, not protracted. I believe fasting may stop her immune system attacking the hair follicles. What does anyone else think?

suzeluze, i wish I had an answer for you. I do not know of evidence than fasting benefits autoimmune disorders, although it does sometimes benefit inflammatory disorders like asthma. I have read claims that eliminating gluten from the diet sometimes benefits autoimmune disorders. PubMed searches for “intermittent fasting AND alopecia” yielded no results, for “intermittent fasting AND autoimmune disorders” yielded tangential results; for “gluten and alopecia” yielded tangential results, but for “gluten and autoimmune disease” yielded lots of results, probably because celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder. You might want to ask on celiac disease forums if alopecia is more common in people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. I wish you the best in your search for a solution that avoids steroids.

Many thanks for your kind reply. Will certainly look into the celiac question.

Hello !!! please google probiotics and alopecia ( there are a ton of articles out) there is a direct correlation between healthy gut flora and our immune systems. alopecia is a auto-immune disorder, which i developed after a heavy dose of antibiotics, hopefully this will help you find some answers

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/05/12/dr-campbell-mcbride-on-gaps.aspx

I had mild alopecia few years ago and it was really annoying and devastating. My dermatologist gave me few shots of injections directly on my scalp and gave me some topical solution to apply daily twice a day. The hair grew back and now my hair is waistline long.

Hi Pratts, where do you find a dermatologist?? I guess you were refered by a Dr? And what were the injections? Steroids? And the lotion was what? I have used rogain for years but its very costly and messy. My hair is very long but every so often I have a ‘molt’ and loose tons of hair. Sometimes this happens 3/4 times a year, but lately once a year. I have never known why and I dont get the ‘stress’ theory as it happens regardless of what level of stress I am under. I really hate it when my scalp is visible. Its very upsetting so I would like any advice ladies please??

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.