After One Year

This topic contains 34 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  MaybelleW 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

• Hello, everyone, Next week I will be celebrating my one-year anniversary as an intermittent faster. I have surprised myself with my ability to stick to this way of eating and continue to feel that it has changed my life and made a huge difference in the way I feel about my body. It has also made me healthier as my numbers showed a few months ago: lower glucose level, better cholesterol and tri-glyceride numbers and, last time I weighed, 23 pounds lighter and a BMI that is now in the normal range.

I plan to continue this WOE indefinitely as I’ve adjusted to the fast days and find them quite easy to do and often a fast day feels welcome because I have “eat” days when I feel I am not being careful enough. Therein lies the conundrum: I thought I could do this for the long term because I don’t feel deprived except two days each week and on those days, mid-afternoon when I crave a carbohydrate, I get through them by reminding myself that it’s only a matter of feeling this way for a few hours and tomorrow I get to eat!! So, if I start to think about how much I’m eating on an “eat” day and think about cutting back then it may lead to my feeling deprived more of the time and could be the demise of the plan. The end result, though, of not being very careful on the five eat days is that I haven’t lost much, if any, in quite some time. Losing 23 pounds was enough to change the way I felt and brought me back close to a normal weight that I could live with. Thus, some of the drive to do better is not as strong since I could be happy with this weight indefinitely. But, ideally, I would lose another 8 pounds and that is still my goal. I’m not sure I can accomplish that. But, if I stay here and can maintain this weight and not worry about things I’m eating five days a week, then this is acceptable.

I’d love to hear from those of you who have been doing this for a year or so. Did you find your weight loss slowed? Did you find anything to jump-start (restart?) weight loss. I have tried to do that by buying a pedometer several months back and being motivated to reach my walking goal each day because of that little gadget. It has made me realize that if I weren’t counting and trying to reach my goal I’d be moving very little each day.

I also am not someone who weighs because I fear getting discouraged. I have only weighed myself a handful of times because I can tell from the way my clothes fit that I am either going in the right direction or staying the same. I may weigh next week on my anniversary–or may not!!!

Kudos to all of us because we are doing something worthwhile and healthy and we should give ourselves credit for our stick-to-it-ivness. Cheers!! And a big thank you, again, to Michael.

Hi Maybelle
    Have you been onto the Maintenance Chatbox thread? We are a group of people who have been on 5:2 for some time, reached our goal weights and stayed there. It is worth reading back through all our chatter to get some hints. 😉
    Many of us find we continue doing 2 fasts a week and others do 16:8 (no breakfast and only dinner with careful eating)
    My OH and I fast twice a week for the health benefits, but find we can get away with eating most things on normal days, but, as a result of this WOE, we are much more mindful of portion size, healthier foods and how often we really need to eat. We embrace the lovely long periods between eating. I love the way I can have an indulgent weekend and then fast on Monday 🙂
    If you are happy with your current weight and it is a healthy BMI, perhaps just keep 2 fasts, be aware of your consumption on other days, but not obsessive, and see what happens. If you don’t gain, you will stay at that size or gradually get lighter.
    I recommend weighing really often to understand how much is normal fluctuations. If you gain a bit over a week, think about how much you ate on feast days. If you maintain you are on the right track.
    See you on the MCs thread. PVE

Maybelle, my description of 16:8 was crazy. I meant a late breakfast/brunch (16 hours after dinner the night before) and dinner (8 hours later) HappyNow is the expert on this technique. PVE 🙂

Purple Veggie Eater–Thanks for your response. I will definitely go to the Maintenance Chatbox. i don’t feel quite ready for maintenance because I would like to lose a bit more but I may already be in maintenance just because I’m no longer losing much. I don’t mind if it takes a long time to get lighter since I’m comfortable now. You didn’t say how long you’d been fasting; I may find out that and other things on the MC thread. Good luck and thanks!! Maybelle

Hi
    I’m also in my 60s and have been a 5:2er since April 2013. I kept resetting my goal as I disappeared, but regard my current weight as excellent as it is squarely in the healthy range and seems very sustainable. Been here since April this year. I am still coursing really slowly down, but not intentionally.
    If you want to go down more you need to reset your TDEE (how much you should eat on normal days) to a lower level. I think most calculations are too high. I don’t count calories, I just know after all this time what is healthy and filling and what is a dumb choice…..Gorgeous vegetarian dishes in the former, cakes and pastries in the latter 🙂 PVE

Hi, again, You’re right about the TDEE being a bit too generous. I am pretty familiar with calorie counts after years of being an on and off again dieter. I gave that up about 8 years ago and have inched up a little each year since. I hit a panic point last summer and happened to read about IF last August and thought, wow, that sounds like something I could do. I have been very excited about it and very enthusiastic. I am a vegetarian and I also have several food allergies so food is always an issue with me as there are many things I can’t eat and that means I often fall back on things I shouldn’t eat. And there is no doubt that, at 69, my metabolism isn’t as high as it once was. I think you and I are in a pretty good spot though if we’re at a healthy weight and content with our ability to stay here. And you’ve been doing this for a long time so we know it’s sustainable! Maybelle

Maybelle, do I assume you are an Aussie by the time you are posting.?
    If so, look at Southern Hemespherites thread. A grwat mob. Michael Mosley’s original documentary is on Aust TV (SBS) tonight. P

Hi, No, I’m an American. I think the times when a person posts are converted to British time so it looked like I was writing in the middle of the night when it was only dinnertime here. I have seen the documentary and told several people about finding it online. Thanks for the tip. Maybelle

Yes. I understand the time issue. I am in SE Australia and it is 2.13 pm. Fast day. P 🙂

Hi, again, PVE, I just spent a little time reading some of the more recent posts on the Maintenance Chatbox and enjoyed it though I felt a bit like I was eaves dropping on a group of old friends out for lunch together! You sound like you’ve gotten to know each other well and are having great fun.

Well, technically, as of this morning I am definitely not on maintenance but need to get back to some serious weight loss as I weighed and am up 3 pounds from 10 weeks ago. I was not all that surprised because I’ve been feeling like I was up a bit. I took off three weeks this summer when daughter and grandchildren were visiting and have been inching up a bit at other times with my snacking on eat days. I’ve become a bit complacent and the weighing this morning has set me back on my heels a bit.

So, I will either start counting calories on “eat” days or go to a 4:3 schedule or maybe both. My total weight loss for the year is 20 pounds and that was and still is significant for me as I had given up years ago on thinking I could ever lose weight and was resigned to being a bit heavier every year. But, I certainly do not want to “give back” any more of the weight I’ve taken off. I’m just a bit disappointed because I had felt that I could fast carefully two days a week, not worry much about how much I was eating on the other five days, and still lose a tiny bit over time. I was comfortable with a quarter pound a week because that would amount to something month after month and I am going to be doing this forever.

I will also now make myself weigh at least once a week and suffer the consequences mentally. With such a slow weight loss it’s easy to be up or down a bit every week and I find that frequent weighing is discouraging. But, for now I will have to do it. My new goal is to lose another 10 pounds but with no set date for that goal. I just need to know that I’m moving in the right direction!!!

I don’t feel that I can join the thread in the Maintenance Chatbox because I’m not there yet. And I also might feel like a bit of an intruder!

You mention grandchildren. How many do you have? I have four, ages 3, 4, 6,8, and they are a true joy. Two live nearby and two across the country so I have to fly to see them, five times a year. And it’s during those trips, 10 days at a time, when I take a break from fasting. Do you take breaks very often??? What is your total loss? I believe you speak in terms of kilograms. yes? Well, thanks for your responses. I have occasionally posted on the WOACA site but that one has gotten so long and I’ve kind of lost track of what’s going on there!!! Maybelle

Hi Maybelle

You would be most welcome on the Maintenance Chatbox thread, when you feel like it. I would like to endorse Purple’s approach. This is definitely a WOL ( way of living) and I am on 5:2 for life. I am at goal weight and size, and to maintain I have to continue with 5:2.

If I wish to lose more weight, I would eliminate all processed food, sugars, and starches from my food intake on every day of the week. I have noticed that wheat and sugar in particular will put weight on me.

Each time I plateaued on the weight loss trail, I kick started weight loss by giving up alcohol, all forms of sugar and all starches for a week or two, until the weight loss began to happen. Good fortune !

Bay 🙂

Thank you, Bay, for your response and welcome. I will keep at it and eventually I may feel “eligible” for the Maintenance site. Today I am on a new page, keeping careful track of what I’m eating and being a bit more careful. But, I don’t want to be in this mode indefinitely because that would make this WOE less do-able for me.

thanks for your suggestions. I think my main problem is that I’ve gotten a little lazy. So, here’s to a bit more discipline! Maybelle

Hi Maybelle

I saw your question to Purple about taking a break from fasting. I never do. If I take a break from fasting, I put on weight. I use my travel days to fast. Airline food is so bad, that it is a joy to have a reason not to eat. Just ask for lots of water. 🙂

I have two of the grandchildren over every Monday and that is my fast day. I make them scrambled eggs and give them rice crackers and cheese, and carrot and celery sticks. If I am tempted, I have some of the carrot and celery sticks. I figure that I have fasted all day and having a few raw carrot and celery sticks is ok. After you have fasted while feeding others, it is much easier to contemplate.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Hi, Bay, I think keeping busy on a fast day is definitely a help and taking care of grandchildren would do that, for sure!! I don’t think I could fast on a travel day because it’s such a long and tiring day and I think I’d run out of steam. And fasting at my daughter’s house when I’m there for 10 days or so is hard for me because my days there start earlier and not eating would be spread over more hours. I’ve gotten my fast days at home down to a science and don’t find them very hard; it’s the eating days that have been more of a challenge. I have been very careful today and am writing everything down and walking more steps (I keep track on a pedometer which is my favorite little “friend!”) and will plan to do this for a while until I’m back into losing mode. then I hope to go back to not-counting but being smarter. I guess I needed this little kick in the pants!

Like you, I am on 5:2 for life. This recent gain caught me off guard and reminded me that this WOE isn’t a magic bullet; I still have to be vigilant about what I’m eating and not get lazy and think I can eat whatever, whenever I want. Still, I think this plan is WONDERFUL and believe it has changed my life for the better.

Thanks for your suggestions. There’s nothing like support from others who are doing the same thing! Maybelle

Hi May and Bay
    Quick reply. I totally endorse Bayleaf’s reply. Breaking the fast habit seems to create problems. I also travel across the country to some of my 5 grandkids and use travel time and grandchildren minding days to fast.
    The MC thread has lots of ideas for you. Lurk in the background until you feel you can contribute, then jump in. That’s how we all did it.
    All the best PVE 😉

May
    Just read your last post. You have done well to get to where you are.
    I don’t think any of us can just eat what we like, especially as we age and our bodies slow down.
    We’ve used this WOE to reset our approach to eating every day. Our portion sizes are much smaller, we make smarter choices and we often only have two meals on feast days. We don’t feel we have to eat because it is a meal time. This is revolutionary 😉

I have lost 27kg. My OH has lost 31. He has got off insulin for diabetes and I am getting off blood pressure tabs. Our blood test results are fabulous and we have replaced our wardrobes twice!!
    Good luck with whatever approach you take on your feed days. It sounds as if you are on the right track. Look at the long term not short term and keep within a healthy range. Cheers PVE

Hi, PVE, Thanks so much for your replies. But you’ll have to tell me what an OH is! I have converted 27 kg to 60 pounds, which is impressive. Wow, that is terrific. You have obviously figured it all out so that this WOE works very ,very well for you. I guess I’m still a work in progress but I will keep at it. Twenty pounds loss is a real accomplishment for me and my improved blood test results, etc. make it important. Here’s to the next ten!

I have been lazy about portion sizes and snacking and need to get back on the straight and narrow and that started today and was easier because of the boost from you and our fellow IF’s. Thank you. Maybelle

The embarrassing thing is I should never have needed to lose that much! A couple of operations and an accident saw me gain the last 10 very quickly. I’m now the size I was at 30 🙂
    Lots of abbreviations are used on this site. OH is other half …husband. I’m trying to work out what tbh is. Some people use it often. P

Hah! TBH—the better half???? The Best Husband??? The big hunk?

I know what you mean about being a bit embarrassed about having reached our highest weights. My gain amounted to 10 pounds a decade–not very original!!! But, it creeps up and it’s so hard to lose it permanently with all the ridiculous diets many of us have tried over the years. I dieted twice for daughters’ weddings and then regained the weight and more within a short time. And feeling too heavy and too big is disappointing and hard on one’s self-image. My daughters kept telling me I wasn’t “FAT” but i knew I was there or close to it. I certainly felt FAT. And that is one of the best things about this WOE–it’s made me feel OK about my weight and how I look. I feel that I am now in a “normal” range and that feels very, very good. And I think this can be permanent with a little more vigilance on my part. I was good today and I fast tomorrow. So, good for us. But especially for you because you have lost so much and you’ve achieved your goal!!

May…I have lost 130 pounds in total. Yet my son hadn’t thought I was fat…flowing clothes I guess. Now I wear tight fitting gear and actually get called skinny. SO good.
    Enjoy your fast day tomorrow and keep remembering it is only one day and you are doing your body a big favour.
    All the best Purple 🙂

Hi,

I managed to lose almost 70lbs in a year to get to my 12st 7lb target (175lb).That was in March, but since then I’ve struggled to keep my weight down. I don’t remember relaxing my routine and have never broken a fast day. I found that during my loss year the only time I would break form fasting was for holidays as it tended to affect my wife if I didn’t want to eat. I usually put on 4-5 lbs in a week if I have a week’s heavy eating and drinking, but lose it quite quickly afterwards as it seems to go on the easy come easy go areas – Face and love handles ! I’m reluctant to tighten my eating on feast days as it could make the whole 5:2 lose it’s appeal. I am generally more aware about what I’m eating though and have upped my exercise . I may have built some muscle , especially on my legs. I know it weighs more than fat and may explain why clothes continue to get slacker. 2 full wardrobe replacements and heading for a third as my most recent jeans are 30″ waist ! I’m just keeping on with it. It has changed my life

Dave

Hi, Dave, Seventy pounds lost is a huge achievement. Congratulations on that. But, I think I can understand your frustration over your recent struggle to keep the weight off. I am feeling a bit frustrated myself because I haven’t lost lately at the rate I did in the beginning and most recently have gained a few pounds. Moving in the wrong direction is rather depressing. I actually do think that I have been more lax about what I eat on a feast day while at the same time being quite rigid on fast days. The fast days are easy because I don’t vary what I eat very much but the eat days are giving me some problems. And taking off three weeks this summer for family vacations didn’t help!

So, I will be a bit more careful on the feast days and try to walk a few more steps each day (with help from my trusty pedometer) but I agree with you completely that tightening up too much and watching too rigorously could make this WOE lose it’s appeal. The reason it has worked for me is that I’ve lost, albeit slowly, but I haven’t felt like I’m on a diet five days a week. I have no staying power on traditional diets.

What is hardest for me at the moment is that I’ve lost a bit of my confidence that I’d found a permanent solution to my weight gain and that I could do it indefinitely and keep the weight off. That has seemed too good to be true and now I’m suspecting that, for me, it might be.

I agree wholeheartedly with you last two sentences: “I’m just keeping on with it” (because really there is no alternative) and “It has changed my life.” (Mine, too!) It’s great to hear from someone like you who can share this experience. Thanks. Maybelle

Hi, all, It seems from the comments you have made that for many IFers maintenance still requires two fasts a week. That is acceptable but I admit that I was hoping that I could do what Michael writes about, fasting once a week to maintain weight. I guess it comes down to how careful one wants to be on feast days because, if a person is eating as much as he wants with no brakes on then one fast a week isn’t going to make up for that. Two might not either!!!

But talking about maintenance is getting ahead of myself as I still have way to go to reach an ideal weight. I’ve used your comments and your encouragement to get myself back to where I was last August when I started this and was excited and making more of an effort to watch what I was eating, even on feast days.

I want to say Thank You again for responding to me and for making me feel supported by others who have been doing this for a while and have reached goals and done so well. It’s very inspiring!!! I just completed a good fast day and will get up tomorrow determined to enjoy not fasting–but not too much!!!! Maybelle

Hi All, I too seem to be losing and gaining the same few pounds for the last few weeks. I know that some weeks I have had a lapse (too much chocolate etc.) but other weeks I have been good and I am still not losing any more.

I think you are right Maybelle that we may need to do 2 fasts per week for life but it doesn’t bother me as I know that it is what I need to keep me on track. When i first saw the programme I though I couldn’t live off 500 calories a day, but I can so anything is (should) be possible. I totally agree with your comment about it coming down to how careful you want to be on feast days. Unfortunately, as we all know, if you go back to your old eating habits you will just put the weight back.

This forum is great and other people’s stories and support keep me going. Linda

Hi, Linda, It’s so helpful to hear of other people’s experiences and it’s what I need at the moment to renew my enthusiasm for this WOE and to get me to be a bit better about watching what I eat on feast days. Maybe we shouldn’t use the word “feast” for what it suggests; we need a word that suggests more discipline!!! The trick is find that balance that allows me to eat comfortably and not feel that I am on a perpetual diet and to still lose a little. I am happy with any move in the right direction; I don’t have to lose quickly as this is a life-long project. But, gaining back a few pounds has really shaken me out of my complacency and I am now being much more careful.

HOw long have you been fasting? And how much have you lost? I love hearing about how much people have lost because this has been life-changing for many of us!!
    Thanks. Maybelle

Hi May and Linda

You wanted to hear what we have lost. I began IF on 25 January 2014 and lost inches from my waist and kg from my weight very quickly. In total I have lost 17 kg (around 37 lbs) and my BMI has dropped from nearly 30 to a healthy 23. My waist has reduced by 19 cm (8 inches). It is a miracle that I have a figure again, after many years. I have lost 2 inches from my bust, however, that is all from my back, ribs, and shoulders. 🙂

In that time I have lost two clothing sizes from my top, and three clothing sizes from my waist and hips. I am ecstatic to see that I have a womanly shape again. I am 67 going on 68. I try to do something active every day, gardening, golf, walking, house cleaning. I use my fast days to spring clean the house, keeping very active and feel a great sense of achievement. 🙂

By experimenting, I have found that I need 5:2 to maintain this lovely new figure. In a normal week, I vary around 1 kg in weight (2.2 lbs). I enjoy my fast days as they demonstrate that I control my food intake, not the other way around. I think of my other days as non fast days. The concept of feast days is reserved for birthdays and other celebrations.

To me the beauty of this WOL is that the fat has gone from the areas it needs to go from, and not from my bust or face. I have lost from upper arms and legs, midriff, shoulders, ribs, hips and stomach. I still have some fat around the belly, and I can live with that.

I do not eat wheat and processed foods. I minimise my sugar intake in all forms. I am the crazy woman standing in the supermarket aisles reading the list of ingredients in detail. 🙂

All the best, Bay 🙂

Hi, again, Bay, You are one of those who has lost a very impressive amount both in kgs and in inches. And you have been at it only a bit more than 6 months so this is truly amazing. I was quite content with my 23 pounds in a year but now I think I don’t have much to boast about!!! But, really, I am still quite impressed with myself because I had tried for so long to diet and stay at it and then, when it always ended before long, to keep whatever little bit I’d lost OFF!! I had numerous conversations with a dear friend who is in the same position of having gained over the years, and we’d concluded that at 69 and somewhat sedentary (both of us are big readers and spend too much time in our comfy chairs), we were never going to be able to lose weight and keep it off. So, when I heard about IF and tried it and found I could do it, not suffer, not feel deprived, and lose weight slowly I was thrilled.
    And isn’t it lovely to have a shape again that we don’t have to hide! I have asked other posters on this forum if they have found that they still have a bit of a belly. Is this part of being our age??? I fear it may be. But, that isn’t that important and feeling a difference in arms, midriff, etc is wonderful. I am wearing clothes I hadn’t worn in years. And I look back now on my fatter self and I can’t believe I was going to accept that and live with it.

I know what you mean about enjoying fast day. I don’t dread them at all but sometimes actually welcome them. I always feel very good the evening of a fast because I have succeeded again and it wasn’t hard and I’m proud of myself. I have kept a list of all my fast days and a count of the weeks. Just to show myself what I have done!!

And I feel better hearing that your weight can vary a bit from week to week. I have been afraid to weigh every week (or often) because I know that I am losing so slowly that it would be easy for my weight to show a gain on one day that might have been a loss the day before. One’s weight at any given time is affected by so many variables. But, I think all of you have convinced me that I need to be checking more regularly so I can see what works and what doesn’t.

You have had tremendous success and I know how losing that much and having a figure again must make you feel. I tried to tell myself for years that my weight didn’t matter but I was kidding myself–IT DID! And then there’s the not-minor fact that we are healthier for having done this. At my age that’s a biggie!!! Thanks, Bay, and everyone for writing. Maybelle

Hi girls
    Bay, your post just made me think…we are both having eyesight problems and we both stand in the aisles of supermarkets reading the back of the packets for kilojoule counts and ingredient lists. Mmmm…might be a connection! 😉 P

Hi Maybelle, I’m another one from the maintenance thread. You would be most welcome, and I do think you are worthy! You might have a few more lbs to go to goal, but you have successfully got to a weight you are reasonably happy with and have been reasonably successful in staying there!

Hopefully the shock of having gained a bit back, but not undoing all your hard work, will spur you on to get back on track.

I don’t refer to the ‘5’ days as ‘feast’ days, for me they are simply ‘non-fast’ days. And whilst I will eat what I fancy, I’m mindful. Why would I think it was a treat to overeat? Why would one helping not be enough? One biscuit is nice, it’s a treat, but in what way am I ‘treating’ myself by eating 5?! I’m lucky that 5:2 has retrained my eating habits (although I have largely cut out processed carbs and sugar, and that makes a huge difference for me). I’m really happy to have broken free from cravings, I don’t feel deprived, I feel liberated!

As you may have read on the maintenance thread, my Dad is doing his own version of 5:2. He’s lost about 19lbs so far. He skips breakfast, has natural yoghurt and fruit for lunch, then fish/chicken and veg/salad. He rounds his fast day off with pudding and red wine! It’s more 16:8 on 2 days of the week than 5:2, but the long fast appears to be helping.

So you could maybe try a different pattern of eating and see if that helps?

Hi, Happy, I’ve been reading some of the postings in the MC thread and enjoying them but, as I told PVE, I feel a bit like I am eaves dropping on a bunch of very good friends who are out together for lunch. A light lunch!! And I also don’t feel that I quite qualify for “maintenance” since I’m still trying to reach my goal, however vague that goal may be. But, I truly appreciate your welcoming my participation and also the same from PVE and Bay. I will jump in one of these days, maybe when I’ve succeeded in getting off the pesky three pounds that I managed to gain this summer. I knew at the time that that peach and berry pie was asking for trouble but it was sooooooooooooooooo good. And my daughter and grandchildren were here on their annual visit so I felt justified in having that treat–and, I’m afraid, some others. I am now working a little harder, more like I did when I started IF last August and hope that being careful–but not to point of ruining the freedom this WOE gives me that makes it work for me–gets me back where I need to be.

But I am so impressed with how well many of you whom I’ve heard from have done. Isn’t this just an amazing thing???? And good for your dad who is making it work for him. I got my brother, a runner to try it, but he quit right away when he tried to run several miles after a fast day (his only one!) and completely ran out of steam. I don’t have the problem of trying to run a few miles!!!

I love your take on healthy eating and feeling liberated. Sometimes the most helpful thing is a point of view and yours seems quite healthy. I do find that I can make a tiny piece of good cheese go a long way on a fast day, savoring crumbs, and I should do that on non-fast days, too, savoring and appreciating little bits of something yummy. I guess a certain amount of discipline–or mindfulness for a better term–is necessary. Thanks so much for all your thoughts. Maybelle

Hi Maybelle, I’m 59 and have been doing this since October 2013 and have lost 25lbs. I still have 7lbs or so to go before I get where I want to be which is around 10.5 stone. It’s not been too hard but I’ve had the odd slip up such as Christmas and a holiday where I put weight back on but it came off again. I have measured myself and half lost a couple of inches here and there which doesn’t seem too much but I have dropped from a size 16/18 in trouser to a size 12 which is amazing. I’ve not lost anything off my 38DD bust but I must have lost off my shoulder area as some of my tops are gaping at the neck! I’ve still got the belly too – will it be the last to go? Lots of new clothes bought!!

I think that your 23lb loss in a year is something to boast about. It sounds like you and I are about the same, I would like another 7-10 lbs off but I do feel an awful lot better at this weight anyway. I know the year has flown by but and it doesn’t seem that long since I started fasting.

My Problem is that I love my food so needed to control portion sizes but it’s also about eating for the sake of it, not because I am hungry. I try to have “just one” but it’s not easy. I read a post somewhere “if hunger isn’t the problem, food isn’t the answer” which is so true. Sometimes I just have to give myself a good talking to and start again. I know that I need will power which sometimes I have and sometime’s I haven’t but I blame the availability of so much sweet stuff, crisps etc and, to be honest, fruit and veg doesn’t satisfy the cravings! I saw a programme a while ago called “the men who made us fat” and it was all about how junk food has taken over out lives.

And Happy – I also love your take on healthy eating. I call them my non-fast days too. Linda

Hi Happy

We meet again. I support your approach to 5:2 and welcome my fast days. 🙂 I call the other days my nonfast days and reserve the words feast day for birthdays and other serious celebrations. Even then, I can no longer eat what I used to eat. We’re getting cheaper to run 🙂 🙂 Except for the clothes.

I am loving my new size 12 clothes, including size 12 swimsuit. 🙂

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Hi Purple

Hehe! Love your sense of humour. Not going to stop reading packets, so there. 🙂 🙂 Bay

Hi Maybelle

I just read your kind words. Thank you. Please don’t think it was easy to lose this much weight this quickly. It required a complete reeducation of my stomach and brain. 🙂

But I do feel great having done it. I need this forum to maintain the program, even knowing that my health is way better because of it. We are after all only human. 🙂

You have done so well at age 69 and having tried lots of other ways. Keep it up and do come and join us on Maintenance as soon as you feel like it.

Cheers, Bay 🙂

Hi, everyone, I’m so happy to have both your support and all your helpful information and your inspiring experiences with IF. You are just what I needed! I have been doing so much better this week and am still so enthused about this WOE. I guess it’s really more of a WOL so I will use that term from now on.

I have a question for all of you: Do you think that fasting twice a week has not changed your metabolism? I started IF believing that by alternating fasting with normal intake of calories I wouldn’t make my metabolism go into “starvation” mode and slow down. But I began to wonder if that was true when the rate of loss over the months slowed. I can also explain that slow down by admitting that I probably was less careful on non-fast days as time went on. But I’d be curious to hear what you think. This question arose lately because I was considering going to a 4:3 routine for a few weeks to get rid of this pesky three pounds. But, if that is more likely to affect my metabolism I won’t do it because, really, there is no rush!!!

I’m also curious about when and how you first heard about Michael Mosley and IF. I think those of you in Britain heard about it first. And maybe those of you in Australia. I missed the first showing of the documentary in the US on public TV but read about it last Aug. in a short piece in a health magazine. It would have been so easy to miss it all together and then where would I be??? More than 20 pounds heavier–that’s where. And much less happy. In the early days on the program I became a true proselytizer and found myself telling people about it in lines at the grocery store, etc. And when I see an article about a weight loss regiment or an ad for Weight Watchers I want to say–NO, DON’T DO IT. You need to do IF!!!!!!! And, besides, with IF if you join this forum you will get the same support and encouragement that you get going to a WW meeting. Or dieting with a friend.

Thanks, everyone. Maybelle

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply.