Acromegaly – IGF1 levels

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  bigbooty 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• My apologies if this has already been covered but I have just joined and cannot for the life of me find a search facility on the site.

Are there any other acromegaly sufferers who have successfully managed to bring down their IGF-1 levels in a way that has actually helped the condition?

I am not aware of dietary intake affecting the pituitary gland and excess production of IGF1? I would be seeking professional advice rather than relying on well intentioned advice on a forum.

Thanks bigbooty,

I have been seeing an endocrine consultant for the last 15 years and taking a whole range of prescription medication and so am pretty well covered from a professional point of view.

The reason for my question was that Michael Moseley stated in his documentary a few years ago that intermittent fasting lowered his IGF-1. I was hoping to hear from someone who has used fasting as an additional self help control and whether they have seen any long term benefits in terms of IGF-1 results.

There are lots of benefits to be had by fasting. However I have no direct or anecdotal evidence to suggest that IGF1 is altered by fasting. With regards to other health benefits using myself as a n=1 study I can say the following. My immune system is much improved. I have not had a cold in 4 years. This with a family of three kids who catch whatever is going around. I no longer suffer from heartburn. My general well being has improved. Consumption of excess food holds no appeal. other markers like HDL, LDL, total cholesterol, blood pressure etc have all improved. So I firmly believe there are benefits to be had. However with regards to your predicament, I cant offer any evidence of its benefit.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.