A theory…..

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  sylvestra 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Dear Dr M,
    Here’s a thought….when we are unwell we quite often go off food. Do you think that could be the body saying that it just hasn’t got time to process food because it’s got more important getting better things to do?
    Best wishes, Fiona

Not sure when Dr M will pop in Fiona.
    My grandmother always used to say ‘feed a cold, starve a fever’ which is more or less what your body tells you.
    So long as fluids are taken ++ the body usually sorts itself out of minor problems doesn’t it. Of course for major illnesses some medical/surgical intervention will be needed.
    Overall I think you are right though 🙂

‘Feed a cold, starve a fever’ is what I was told by my grandmother too.

I’ve had a rotten cold all week and I have just wanted to eat!! I’m not actually hungry, I’m not thirsty either because I’ve raised my fluid intake to compensate for the runny nose and the dried up feeling you get with a cold….I just want to eat!!!!

I have managed not to do that thanks to doing three fast days but the desire is there. It must be a ‘comfort’ thing.

xx

Hope you begin to feel better sylvestra–and along those lines my great granny was a chicken soup guru and wow now I see research is showing scientific evidence that in fact chicken soup is a great cure and restorative.We are in summertime down this way (so no colds) but regardless have decided to make up some batches for the freezer–then always have dinner on a fast night if I am caught short, there are no excuses to reach for’ not so wise’ choices. Have put different flavouring in each batch–curry, herbs, mint–so it doesn’t get too boring. And come winter will make it a regular lunch. Love my slow cooker it is my fast day friend.
    go well and treat yourself kindly–like snuggle up with a good book

Thanks double happy – it’ll go away soon I’m sure.

My grandmother also used to say ‘treat a cold it’ll be gone in a week – don’t treat it and it’ll stay seven days’! There’s logic there somewhere.

I’m ‘treating’ mine with a mix of best malt whisky, heather honey, fresh lemon juice and hot water and sod the calories!! 😀 It may not cure it but it’s an enjoyable treatment 😀

Funnily enough I made chicken soup today!

xx

It takes top shelf malt whisky–so hope you are treating yourself there!! I knew my straight whiskys were serving a purpose, they are not recreational at all.
    I like your granny–such a wise woman

double happy It’s definitely top shelf – Laphroaig Cask Strength usually – I’m just off to pour one now – for medicinal purposes of course 😀 😀

xx

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.