A Fast diet Muslim friendly

This topic contains 36 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Suzanne Umm Ayoub 9 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

• Hi,

I am new on this forum and I plan to start the Fast diet tomorrow.

Since i am muslim, i would like add a muslim fast to the diet in order to get the reward from Allah the Most High at the same time if He wills.

I would like to know if any Muslim is doing the fast diet?

If so, how do you manage it?

I was thinking to eat 100 calories for sahour (in the middle of the night) example, 1 fruit and a big glass of water, and 400 hundreds calories for the Iftar (after sunset, and refrain to eat after that until the next morning.

Anybody has some suggestions and ideas?

Thank you very much

Ma salama
    Suzanne Umm Ayoub

MA SHA ALLAH…i think you should definitely do this,well i don’t know the science but surely know that fast (sawm) can’t harm you due to the special BLESSING of ALLAH…GOOD LUCK.

welcome
    Suzanne Umm Ayoub

not a muslim

i guess i’m an infidel 🙂

the muslim world & u r probably
    experts in fasting

share w/ us ur routine nonfastfoods/fastfoods & insight please

did u c the poem dr michael posted
    from someone who fasted in year of 1207

i’ll give u the link if wanted

happy fastdays & nonfastdays

Thank you very much for your nice posts,

You said : ‘share w/ us ur routine nonfastfoods/fastfoods & insight please’

The Prophet (SAWS) encourage us to fast two (2) days a week, monday and thursday. Of course, we do if to get reward from Allah in the hereafter, but the Prophet said to us also : ‘Fast and you will be healthy’. So, there is also a worldly benefit in doing it, witch you all experiment.

The muslim fast is a little bit different that the fast diet, this is why i was asking some questions here.

The muslim fast start at dawn and stop at sunset. If i understand well, the fast diet start at the last meal at night,the day before, and stop with the first meal in the morning the day after. So, the fast diet is longer than the muslim fast.

The muslim fast is a complete fast. I mean, we do not drink anything and we do not eat anything from dawn to sunset. We have a small meal, called ‘sahur’ before dawn, in the middle of the night, and we have a substantial meal at sunset called ‘iftaar’.

If i understand well, with the fast diet, we can have many meals, as long as we do not exceed 500 calories for a lady. So, i thought i can have a small ‘sahour’ of 100 calories, or no calories at all, just water for example, and a iftaar of 400 or 500 calories.

I tried yesterday and i did not succeed. I had to break my fast because i had a big headache. I only had a glass of water for the sahur. Next time, i will have two or three glass of water and maybe a fruit or something. I am experiencing. I use to have a 500 calories sahur, so this is a big change for me.

Hopefully i answer the question and you are please with it. Excuse my english, i am French.

Suzanne

Hello Suzanne Umm Ayoub,
    The idea of the fast diet is to have a fast of substantial duration on your fast day, but many people divide their 500cal for the fast day into several small meals during the fast day. The beauty of it all is that you can adjust according to what suits you best. If it works, it works. My schedule is to have breakfast and nothing for the rest of the day until breakfast the next day. But indeed: the fast diet doesn’t include refraining from drinking water. Drinking lots of water will prevent getting headaches. I’m not sure if you feel you could drink throughout the day, but it really gets me through the day without headaches. Maybe drinking water is a better alternative than having to break your fast? And maybe, when you’re used to having the fast days in your life, you could gradually reduce the amount of water you drink during the day?
    By the way, your English looks just fine to me (but I’m Dutch, so in the same boat as far as using English is concerned).
    Good luck and happy fasting!

Hello,

Thank you Sams. Happy fasting to you too!

Maybe it is not just a matter of water but sugar also. When i broke my fast yesterday, i was not only thirsty, i was craving sugar. I ate a banana with a lot of water.

I just made some research and found out that the Prophet (SAWS) had some dates before dawn. I will try this : three dates plus a very big glass of water or two. I think i should be around 100 calories.

Hi Suzanna Umm Ayoub,
    I know I’m at risk of sounding like a teacher, but remember that most cravings are born right between your ears (as in your mind :-)) So if the dates don’t work and you feel you have to break your fast, just try water first and see what happens. You can always have something to eat, if that doesn’t work. Physically speaking, satisfying sugar cravings (or maybe you feel shaky even) with fast carbs like banana or dates, will make things even worse, kicking your blood sugar up and down like crazy. Try an apple or a pear, slower carbs and in the long run better for the body. I don’t know if you would be allowed to eat that? Good luck! I can imagine it’s not easy doing it right both your body and soul.

Hi Sams,

Of course if i can not support the complete muslim fast, i will break it, and drink some water, like i did yesterday.

In doing so, i can be, at least, successful with the fast diet, even if i failed with the muslim fast.

But, as you said, this is better to be “doing it right both your body and soul’.

And please, if you break your fast, don’t feel like you failed. Don’t you think that really trying counts as well? Not sure of course how you feel about the Prophets words, and if they may be interpreted as guidance and direction rather than strict rules? You said he encourages fast, so be encouraged and know that you’re trying.
    Feeling failure is good for nothing and no one!

Thank you Sams for your nice words.

Yes of course, theses weekly fasts are not obligatories. But if I decide to fast, I must to follow the rules.

The minimum rule is that I must abstain from water and from food from dawn to sunset. I can eat or drink whatever i want before and after.

Do you understand?

Hi Suzanne Umm Ayoub,
    Yes I do understand. And I respect that too. I just hope you’re proud of trying your best, instead of feeling miserable if you can’t make it. I had my share of experiencing failure and feeling guilty, and it only makes things harder.
    all the best!

Hi Sams,

You are a nice person. Really. You are compassionate with the peoples. I really appreciate.

Do not worry, Allah rewards us for our good intentions if we are sincere. Even if we do not succeed to attain our goal, He will consider that we have tried. More it is difficult, more is the reward. Allah is the Most-Just and the Most-Merciful and He sees what is in our heart and He sees our actions.

I pray Allah that He makes all of us successful in this world and the Hereafter.

Lets go back to the subject.

I made some researches about dates and i found that this dry fruit is rich in calcium , magnesium, minerals , vitamins B (B2, B3 , B5 and B6) , provitamin A, dietary fiber and antioxidants.

Hopefully it will help to alleviate my headache.

I will keep you informed.

Suzanne

Thank you Suzanne Umm Ayoub, that’s a very kind thing to say.
    Those dates sound good. I saw fresh ones in the shop the other day, but I’m not sure what to do with them? Didn’t ask as the shop was full of people.
    Do you have a lot of weight to lose? I’m hoping to lose 15 kgs, and preferably a bit more, 20 would be great. I lost almost 1 kg during my first week, fasting 2 days. I’m quite happy about that! I expect it wil slow down over time, but 0,5 kg per week sounds good to me too!

Hi Suzanne, I just wanted to give you a long-termer’s perspective as you try to get into your fasting. I think that you will find, if you concentrate on just perfecting the fastdiet aspect first, that you will quickly become so accustomed to fasting for long periods that you will eventually be able to do so without water during the day and therefore be able to do a proper Muslim fast.

It took me quite a while to get my body accustomed to the new lifestyle and during that time I did experience headaches (1 very serious one) and extreme hunger (after a mamoth swimming session) on fast days. However, I now fast for 16-20 hours every day (although I don’t feel that I have to and will happily go out for lunch with colleagues etc. earlier if they want to on non-fastdays). I have also noticed that, although it is much easier to combat a fast day with water, I can now manage on much less than I used to during fast days when necessary. If I were Muslim, I’m sure I could go all day (after sahur) without water and do a proper Muslim fast now. As you are already more used to fasting than I was when I began, I’m sure the process will be even quicker for you but I would recommend that you do not conform to the ‘no water’ aspect of a Muslim fast until your body is used to the rest of it. I think that approach will help you achieve your aim in the long run.

Good luck. 🙂

Hi Sams,

I am not fasting to lose weight, actually. I am fasting because my blood sugar is a little bit high and my cholesterol also. I am like Michael Mosley when he start to fast. If i do nothing, I may develop some disease linked to the metabolism syndrome.

1 Kg is very good for only 2 days fasting. Congratulation. Don’t give up, i think that fasting is the best way to get fit. A lot of scientific evidences show how amazing fasting it is for the body.

Good luck,
    Suzanne

Thank you very much Tracy.

I think that the secret is to be regular, so the body get use to it. If I can not afford a muslim fast, i should fast with water only. You are right.

I use to fast on thursday once a week (muslim fast) but i found it extremely difficult to maintain. The fast is forbidden during menses, so, i was fasting 3 weeks and stop one week. After my menses, the fast was very difficult, like the first day I did it! A real pain! This is the same thing during the month of Ramadan. More you fast, more it is easy, but when you stop, this is like you come back to the start.

Suzanne Umm Ayoub

found the poem that dr michael posted!

A poem on the joys of fasting by Jelaluddin Rumi, who was born in what is now Afghanistan in 1207.

Fasting

There’s hidden sweetness in the stomach’s emptiness.
    We are lutes, no more, no less. If the soundbox
    is stuffed full of anything, no music.
    If the brain and belly are burning clean
    with fasting, every moment a new song comes out of the fire.
    The fog clears, and new energy makes you
    run up the steps in front of you.

When you fast, good habits gather like friends who want to help.
    Fasting is Solomon’s ring. Don’t give it
    to some illusion and lose your power,
    but even if you have, if you’ve lost all will and control,
    they come back when you fast, like soldiers appearing
    out of the ground, pennants flying above them.
    A table descends to your tents, spread with other food,
    better than the broth of cabbages.

SAMS right don’t think of failure

trying is success

apathy is failure

& u certainly don’t have that 😀

“We have a small meal, called ‘sahur’ before dawn”

what meal r they can u share a recipe? what can u not eat during ‘sahur’ ?

same questions 4 ‘iftaar’.

“The Prophet (SAWS) encourage us to fast two (2) days a week, monday and thursday”

WOW! so he is our originator of this lifestyle cooool no wonder the dr had a poem (i was surprised 2 c soundbox thought that was a 20th century term 🙂 )

may i ask u 2 explain the ramadan fast please 2?

is it really 40 days of pure fasting is there really no eating @ all & water how much?

concerning water consumption

what about fruit & vegetables that contain the most water content? that could by-pass the rules right? 😀

u will do fine

keep posting

happy sahur days 😀 ♬♬♬♬♬

Hi USA, Thank you for the nice poem.

Yes, the fasts of mondays and thursday are a Prophet Mohammed tradition. The fast of every other days is a Prophet David tradition. Intermittent fasting is not new. Prophets Moses and Jesus fasted also. Actually, all Prophets fasted. All saints. I strongly believe the nobody can attain theses higher degree of spirituality without fasting.

What is new with intermittent fasting, this is the scientific evidences we discovered about the amazing health benefit of fasting. But the best of the effect is spiritual. There are spirituals benefits of fasting. Fasting has a very profound effect on the soul and character, i am sure all of you experimented this. This is why fasting is so much linked to religion.

To answer your questions about Sahur and Iftaar :

The sahur is a small meal before dawn. This is like a breakfast. Some peoples eat fruits with yogurt, some peoples eat eggs with bread, some others eat cereals, etc. I saw some people have meat and vegetable. There is no rules, but it a small meal. A little bit more than a snack. About 500 calories or less. With plenty of water or hot beverages.

After Sahur, we stop to eat and drink completely until sunset.

At Sunset, we break the fast with one date and a glass of milk, or a glass of water. After that, we pray the sunset prayer. After the prayer, we have a light meal, like a vegetable soup or some beverages like juice, the, coffee, etc. After that, we go pray the night prayer and we have a complete diner with meat, vegetable, rice, bread etc, but we should not stuff ourselves, because we are going to bed.

So, the iftaar is actually 3 meals: the first, at sunset, one date and a glass of milk, the second, 15 min after, one soup or beverages, and the third, 1 or 2 hours after that, a complete meal.

Some peoples are very hungry and do not follow these steps. They jump with the big meal as soon as they are allowed to eat and they stuff themselves so much that they actually gain weight while fasting!

Concerning Ramadan, it is one lunar month, so 29 or 30 days. This is the same fast. The fast start at dawn and stop at sunset. This is a little bit like the fast 8 or the fast 5. We fast every single day for one month. We have a limited period of time to eat. We have sahur before dawn and iftaar after sunset. The difference is that we pray very long prayers at night and, at the end of Ramadan, the last 10 days, we pray all the night and we sleep during the day.

Thank you for your encouragements. I am keep going, God,s willing. Wish you happy meals also.

Suzanne Umm Ayoub

j’parle francais aussi 🙂

merci pour tout

so actually the fdl (fastdaylifestyle)

is actually longer

nonfasday meal 7pm

fasting sleep

fastday meal 500 cals

fasting sleep

nonfastday meal 12pm

over 36 hours

what is cool is that god/allah/universe

has given u the choice by giving u brains

2 make those great choices/decisions 😀

happy fasday-sahur’s (since thety r 500 cals right?) &
    nonfastday-iftaar’s ( since they r 3 meals)

ur on ur way 😀

oops missed something

“The fast of every other days is a Prophet David tradition?”

so that one is the adf? (alternative day fast)

which david r we talking about?

this so so interesting

the christian one? is there a muslim david?

Hi USA,

I am talking about the Jew Prophet David, the one who recited the psalms. He is recognized as a Prophet by the Jew, the Christians and the Muslim Alike.

Bonjour USA,

Comment allez-vous aujourd’hui? Vous allez bien? Contente d’apprendre que vous parlez le français.

Yes, the fast diet lifestyle is actually longer than the Muslim fast. The muslim fast is around 16 or 18 hours, and the fast diet lifestyle is 36 hours.

And there is another difference: the fast diet is a hypocaloric diet, while the Muslim fast is not. If we eat a good sahur at night and a good iftaar after sunset, we maintain our weight.

This is the reason why i want to try the fast diet along with the Muslim fast. As the science show us, there are some health benefit in reducing dramasticly the amount of food we eat few days a week. It is proven to extend the life expectancy also.

Have a nice day fasting 😉
    Suzanne

Hi diet fasters,

I will try this tomorrow (incha Allah):

Sahur (before dawn) : A large glass of water and 3 dates (75 calories)
    Fasting from dawn to sunset
    Iftaar (after sunset) : 1 date (25 calories)
    15 min after Iftaar : 1 bowl of vegetable and lentils soup (100 calories)
    2 hours after Iftaar : meat and vegetables with a small bread (300 calories)
    Some herbal the
    Go to bed

Hopefully this time will be OK.

Good luck Suzanne Umm Ayoub,
    I’m going to fast tomorrow too (as willl many others I presume)
    Knowing you’re not alone might help. I know it helps me!

Thank you for your support

Suzanne Umm Ayoub

très intéressant 😀

jeûne bien

I succeed today alhamdoulillah! (Praise be to Allah)!

Congratulations Suzanne Umm Ayoub! Good for you!
    I’m fasting untill breakfast tomorrow morning, so not finished yet, but doing good!

Hello, this is me again, after 5 months !

I did not succeed to maintain 2 fast every weeks, unfortunately.

Because the Muslim is not allowed to fast during the monthly period, I stopped to fast one a month, and gradually, i stopped to fast on Monday, because i felt it is too difficult, and at the end, i stopped to fast Tuesday also.

So, i need another strategy…

I inquired about the eating habit of the Prophet Muhammad (SAWS) and i discovered that, when he was not fasting, he was eating only 2 meals a day. He was not eating breakfast. He was replacing it with a honey beverage after he woke up, and 7 dates around 10:00AM. He had his first meal after 12:00.

This way of eating is similar to 8/16 intermittent fasting. Because he was fasting every days for, at least, 16 hours (except for a little bit of water, one spoon of honey, and 7 dates).

So i decided to start again a new program, may Allah makes me successful this time!

I will gradually push the time of the breakfast. I use to take breakfast at 6:00AM. Every week, i add half an hour more. Now, i take my breakfast at 8:30. I only take a hot cup of water with one spoon of honey when i woke up. Hopefully, i will work and i will get use to it. When i will reach 10:00Am, i will replace my breakfast with 7 dates.

After i got use to this new way of life, i will reintroduce the fasting of Mondays ans Tuesdays all day long. It will be more easy to go through the day, since my body will be use to fast every days, not only 2 times a week…

I notice that during Ramadan, the Muslim month of fasting, the firsts days are very difficult, but the last day are so easy that we can fast for 20 or 24 hours if we want, without any trouble.

I will keep you informed in cha Allah.

Hopefully my struggles will help other peoples.

Sincerely,
    Suzanne

I would like to know if anybody has the same problem than me, I mean, not able to stick to the 2 day fast in the long term.

If so, how do you resolve this problem ?

Is the fast of everyday a little bit, I mean the 16:8 can help ? Anybody adopted this strategy ? I mean, fast each day, 16 hours, ( which is skipping breakfast) and fast the complete day Monday and Thursday (skipping breakfast and lunch).

It seems to be the habit of the Prophet (SAWS), but I am not sure, some say he was eating only once a day. This is confusing…

I need advice form people who have lot of experience in fasting.

Thank you for your advices

Best regards,
    Suzanne

Hello Suzanne

I did 5:2 for 4 months then I switched, not to 16:8 but to 19:5 which is called Fast-5. I know of people who have lost weight on 16:8; they sometimes have 2 meals and a snack in this time, but sometimes they eat all they want within 4 or 5 hours and then stop.

I do 19:5 because I find that if I eat within 5 hours I can eat how much I like and do not need to count calories or restrict my portion sizes. I have done 15 weeks on 19:5 and have lost 8 lbs, from 138 to 130 lbs. I have a BMI of 22, and hope to lose about another 7 lbs. I find 19:5 easier than 5:2 even though I do it every day.
    Hope this helps

Hi Barbarita,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I am happy to hear that you find it more easy. I was doing 5:2 and I could not get use to it.

Now, I gradually delay the breakfast, and my body is adjusting to the new timing. I find it more easy.

I do not lose weight, but I am still at the beginning of the process. At least, I fast a little bit everyday, and I get some health benefits in cha Allah.

Will see how it works and how I can manage it.

Congratulation for your weight loss. I think it is more difficult to loose when you are in the healthy BMI range isn’t it?

Best regards,
    Suzanne

Hello Suzanne, I wish you success with your plan.

I suppose you can fast in any way that works for you outside of Ramadan, but during Ramadan you could Fast and eat according to your cultural traditions and religious precepts?

Barbarita

Hi Barbarita,

During Ramadan or outside Ramadan, the Muslim fast is exactly the same : abstain from food and drink from dawn to sunset. A small meal before dawn (sahur) and a complete meal after sunset (iftar).

The Prophet (SAWS) recommended to fast outside of Ramadan, Mondays and Thursday. The problem is that I am not able to stick to these 2 fasts… Ramadan is another story. This is obligatory.

Why i am not able? Why the Prophet and the Companions where able to fast every weeks and not me?

I made some research on their way of life and discovered that, when they where not fasting, they where eating only once or twice a day.

I wonder if my difficulties are related to our American way of life (I am Canadian) of eating all the time.

So i thought that if I schedule my eating to remove breakfast, at least, it may help me to stick to the recommended Muslim fast of Mondays and Thursdays, Allah knows best.

My real objective is to go back to 5:2 and to stick to it in cha Allah.

Sincerely,
    Suzanne

Al Salamu Alaikum, I am starting a muslim fast tomorrow insha’aAllah, for both spiritual and and physical wellness, I found this form might be of great support

Assalamualaikum suzanne,

great post , i’ve been looking for a muslims point of view forum about intermittent fasting.

i’m a muslim who are staying in singapore. (south east asia)

recently i’ve been learning and implementing intermittent fasting to myself for weight loss. i’m male 30 years old , current weight is 68kg . about 3 month ago i was 75kg. so i have slowly lost 7 kg within 3 month while trying intermittent fasting with added exercise routine . thats a loss of 0.5kg per week.

i’ve tried 24 hour fast , 2 times a week, just drinking water during the fasting state. i’m implementing it with vigorous exercises 4 times a week. (1 hour 30 minute per exercise). so theres actually no need for me to do twice a week fast since i exercise frequently. but i think in additional to my sedentary office working lifestyle, sitting on the chair for almost 7 hour a day , i had to add in 1 more of 24 hour fasting day..

theres those days that i failed fasting.. i had to break my fast do to unbearable hunger cause by fasting , i usually started fasting 7am and break my fast the next morning 7 am.

after awhile i realise i could be doing the sunnah monday thursday fasting combined with my 24 hours fast, to get the added benefit of worship to Allah. so what i would like to do is to fast monday thursday (no water) and after the iftar i would drink plenty of water with juice, and a couple of dates. and continue my fast till the next morning where i suppose to end my 24 hour fast.

another things also, this 24 hour fast is very similar to prophet dawud a.s. fast. where he alternate it between fasting day and non fasting day. but my question is , can we really do alternate day fasting without water safely? as we human being now a days are not the same like those people living in previous prophets time.. they may be stronger to resist water. and we dont. or i may assume they only prevent themself from eating but still drink water. as research shown water doesn’t contain any calorie . and i heard from friends and scientific info if our body are deprive from suitable amount of water at daily basis it could be dangerous to our health. therefore prophet dawud fasting is still a big question to me regarding on how do we implement it. to be safe i would still prefer a normal monday thursday fast followed by completing the 24 hour fast the next morning ( we should at least drink 3 liter of water per day for male ) so sufficient water is important before sahur and after iftar.

i agree with you for those non fasting day that we should still eat twice a day moderately, eat only when we are hungry and stop eating before we are full.

it will be great if you know a book i can read about health , fitness and wellbeing from a islamic point of view .. i will let you know also to this forum if i found one..

thanks jazakallah.

Wa alaykoum salam wa rahamatouh Allah wa barakatouh (May the peace be upon you too, and the mercy of Allah and His bounty)

My brother,

Thank you for your post.

I would be very happy to read any book that talk about fasting and health in a Islamic point of view. If you find a good one, do not hesitate to share it with us.

Concerning the fast of David, we, as Muslim, we do it like our normal fast, even if this Prophet and the other Prophets (peace be upon them all) may have fasted in another way. Some companions, at the time of the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him), where making alternate day fasting, imitating Prophet David, and they where only fasting from dawn to sunset. They where not fasting 24 hours.

For sure, this is not forbidden, but it is not the Muslim tradition. If you do 24 hours fast without drinking and eating, you can do it for your health, and to loose weight, but i am afraid that only the period between dawn and sunset may be accepted by Allah as an act of worship.

And why should you do this ?

You will not have the blessing of the Suhour (the meal before dawn), because there is a blessing in this meal, even if it is only one date and one glass of water. According to a hadith in Sahih Bukhari, narrated Anas bin Malik: The Prophet said, “Take Suhour as there is a blessing in it.”

Also, It was reported by Muslim that, eating of Sahour is the difference between the Muslims and the people of the Scriptures. This facilitates the fasting and one gets an increased amount of reward.

It is recommended also to hasten to eat the iftar (the meal after Maghreb) The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, “The people will remain on the right path as long as they hasten the breaking of the fast (Al-Iftar) and delay taking the morning meal (Al-Suhour).”

http://www.islambasics.com/view.php?bkID=137&chapter=1

May Allah bless you and assist you.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply.