5:2 hits Germany

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  quizzle 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• In a recent issue of a popular, german scientific TV-Show calles “Quarks and Caspers” the subject “calorie” was in focus. It was quite interesting and well done, whoever is interested to watch it:
    http://www.wdr.de/tv/quarks/

The point of Michael’s book of fasting as a needed stop for cellular repairs was nicely demonstrated with a racing car set-up.

Additionally, Mr. Caspers tried 5:2 for himself for one week, accompagnied by the camera (and lost some weight and showed improvement in several blood parameters).

The show turns around the term “calory” and points out that counting calories is an old-fashioned and not very practicable approach for loosing weight since the calories noted on the food package are often wrong and individually different. Also, weight loss depends on the gut bacteria which are different in obese people (transfered to mice, those mice get obese even by having an unchanged diet!).

I guess, traffic on this site coming from Germany will rise….

Q

hello….just thought i would say hello cos no one has replied to your post…

hello again 🙂

Hello quizzle

I thought I would say hello too!

I haven’t watched the programme you cite but it sounds interesting.
    Can you recall what it was about the gut bacteria in obese people that was different? Not in a terribly scientific way but in a way a layman can understand? This would confirm why loads of people gain weight when other slimmer people consume roughly the same or more.

Totally OT – I really love your country’s Xmas Markets-they are so beautiful!

Hey quizzle

I just read about the mice last night. I was looking (online) for info about gut flora, mostly as a way to control wild swings in lower bowel function. 🙁 Some other posters got me thinking. Someone said that fasting changes the bacteria in our bowels, that if you have any kind of sensitivity, that when you start eating again, you’ll feel it. And, boy, have I! But I wondered if my issue wasn’t about a sensitivity, so much, as different bacteria overtaking the ones I need to digest certain things. Anyway, I was looking for the solution and found the mice!

Boo- there are thousands of different bacteria. I don’t think any were named. Also involved was a lot of feces eating, by the mice. Bl-yuck. There is an old/new therapy for restoring intestinal bacteria, for people who are pretty bad off- too many antibiotics killed all of their flora-involving bowel transfers. Yes, what you’re thinking is exactly what I meant. 🙂

Hello

This looks very interesting, but I do not understand German… do you know if this is available in English?

Thank you

Hey piper and quizzle and uncle Tom Cobbley!

I’ve just been posting to you piper on another thread!

I didn’t mean I wanted the individual names of the intestinal bacteria though I wouldn’t be at all suprised to find that you name yours individually!

Merry Xmas to all fast dieters and all their bacteria!!
    Eat, drink and be very merry!!

Hi, Piper,
    thanks to latest NGS-technology (Next-generation-sequencing) the study of the human microbiom, the sum of all those bacterias settling on and in us, has reached a new quality.
    Those latest studies on mice have shown that the composition of the gut bacteria of fasting mice has similarities with longevity-associated bacteria. Esspec. the so-called “prebiotic” or “probiotic” bacteria are gaining ground – something which can not be achieved just by drinking such “prebiotic” joghurt drinks!
    Those guys have names but most spcies haven’t been clearly determined yet – it’s a vast and quite young field of research!

Anyway, since I’ve started my fasting experiment I feel those changes ongoing – it’s fascinating…actually, I need some help to get rid of late carb-snacking and I’m happy if a couple of millions bacteria help me by giving me a hard night!

Boy, I’ve eaten too much tonight, a big Salad and Pizza for lunch but I still feel it rollin’…glad to have a fasting day tomorrow!

Q

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.