5:2 and excercise

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  MrsBaggage 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• I’ve been on the 5:2 diet for about 3 months now. My weight is currently 64.3kg (approx 10st). I’m a little concerned about losing more weight, particularly as I excercise regularly. Today I ran 8k, which burned about 500 calories. This is getting on for the 600 I will consume in food. Questions I have are:-

1. Is it a good idea to do excercise on a fasting day?
    2. Should you consume more calories on a fasting day when you’ve done excercise?

Thanks

I don’t have a long experience but I went to a high intensity spinning class on my two fast-days (my only two) and it was no problem. It was at lunch time though, don’t know if I could have done it in the afternoon.

Whether you exercise on your fast days or not depends on how you feel. According to Dr. Mosley and Dr. Krista Varadi you can exercise on your fast days. I would not eat my lost calories back. You can eat the next day!

On the other hand I would not exercise excessively on fast days as the body needs fuel to recover.

Stef.

Hi afielden, stick to your fastday allowance whatever exercise you do is the basic rule but if you are now at the maintenance point? then you could have a little more leeway to move your numbers around a bit. The important thing is to work out your TDEE based on your genuine exercising regime and be aware that if you’re maintaining you do need to be consuming that number x 7 for the whole week, whatever you decide your fastday/days calories are going to be.

As for exercising on a fastday – I do that all the time now (and have for about a year now) it’s totally fine and I actually seem to swim & feel faster on no fuel in the tank. If I try to swim having eaten I feel a bit sluggish & sick and occasionally a bit ‘drowny’ 😉

Thanks folks. I’ll stick to easy runs on a fast day. Not sure I can manage highly intense interval work or hill running. As you say though, best to listen to your body. If it feels good, do it!

I cycle regularly on my fast days and have kind of worked my eating schedule to suit this. According to Strava, the tracking app I use on my phone, I generally burn many more calories than I have eaten, leaving me in calorie deficit on those days. I have been managing fine on the regime I am following, but it did take me a few weeks to work out how to manage it to my advantage.

I exercise regularly on my fast days, including weight lifting and HIIT. I’m amazed by the amount of energy I have on days when I don’t eat (I eat about 200 calories on fast days).

Dave

Thanks for this – I work out intensively at lunch time 4 times a week (boxing and interval training) and feel great, yet my trainer keeps telling me that the reason i’m not losing weight/getting the results I want is because i’m fasting.
    Mrs B

MrsBaggage:

Your trainer apparently does not know much about the relationship between diet and exercise. This might help:

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/exercise-is-dangerous-for-your-diet/

Good Luck!

MrsBaggage

Like it says in the books, there are many ways to train, eat healthy, lose weight etc. Fasting is right at the new end of the science to do with eating healthy, and it may just be going against what your instructor was trained to believe. I expect the ACSM will address this in their next standpoint (they the ACSM look at all modern studies and make recommendations to trainers world wide about best practice).

But ultimately its about many more things than just fasting or not. How long have you been doing it for? If you’re still in a calorie deficiency for the week, then you’ll be losing weight, though you could be gaining a little bit of muscle as your go if you’re starting out with training too! It might be nice for you to use the fast tracker (https://thefastdiet.co.uk/fast-diet-tracker/) to see what’s happening with your measurements as well as your weight. I’ve been using it recently with my own clients and it’s a great tool! If you’ve got any questions feel free to message me! 🙂

Thank you JC! I use myfitnesspal as a tracker (it combines my food and exercise tracking/syncs with my fitbit). My husband and I have been doing 5:2 strictly since last sept/oct last year. He’s seen tremendous weight and inch loss (with minimal exercise). My cholesterol levels have dropped significantly, but apart from that nothing. I did go through surgical menopause 18 months ago and just put it down to that. I feel great, I don’t even get hungry any more on 5:2 – it would just be nice to see the results that everyone else seems to be experiencing!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.