5 a day fruit and veg

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Food Top tips
5 a day fruit and veg

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  ayurvedictr 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Hey there,

Has anyone else noticed that instead of the recommended 5 a day they now eat double the amount of fruit and veg?

I have only done three fast days so far (so maybe things will change) but so far I have tried to have lots of bulky meals. This obviously means lots and lots of veg 😀
    So my day would go something like this: skip breakfast, apple at 11, veg soup and veg croutons (200 kcal) for lunch, berries (70 kcal) as a snack and then dinner with fish and steamed veg (200 kcal) for dinner (saving 30 for milk in my coffee and lemon water).
    It wasn’t until today that I was thinking of my veg intake and realized that is about 8-10 servings of fruit and veg. I usually manage the 5 on normal days but I do struggle adding in any more. It was so strange seeing how much I was eating unconsciously when having to count calories.

HI YES VEG INTAKE DEF A LOT MORE, ME AND HUBBY TEND TO HAVE BEANSPROUTS STIR FRY MEALS THESE ARE FILLING AND VERY LOW FAT AND CALS MUCH LESS THAN POTATOES AND RICE, WE HAVE BOTH BEEN ON DIET 5 WEEKS AND I HAVE LOST 16 POUNDS HUBBY LOST 19, DIET IS HEALTHIER THAN EVER SINCE STARTING THIS JAN 5TH]

hi all i want to start this diet am wondering with most other diets fruit and veg are free to eat whenever you like on fast days if you eat a lot of same are they all calorie counted hoping to hear soon tanx

HI YES ALL THAT YOU EAT IS CALORIE COUNTED BUT MOST VEG IS LOW IN CALS SO YOU CAN EAT A GOOD AMOUNT IT WILL FILL YOU UP .

hi clevertess tanx for that could you tell me about counting veg calories i have,nt got fast diet book yet so how do you know which veg= what calories tanx

HI I HAVENT GOT THE BOOK EITHER I JUST GOOGLE ALL THE VEG LIKE APPROX 100G OF BROCOLLI IS ABOUT 30 CALS CARROTS TEND TO BE BIT MORE BUT MUSHROOMS AND ONIONS LOW I JUST WEIGH ALL VEG ETC TO AROUND 100 G IT IS EASY ONCE YOU DONE IT A FEW TIMES
    A FASTING DAY FOR ME IS A YOGURT FOR BREAKFAST MAYBE A HOMEMADE SOUP OR WEIGHT WATCHER SOUP FOR LUNCH THEN PRAWN MUSHROOM SPRING ONION AND BEANSPROUT STRIR FRY FOR TEA WITH WATER TO DRINK ONE OR 2 COFFEES USUALLY KEEPS ME BELOW 500 CALS

HI YES ALL THAT YOU EAT IS CALORIE COUNTED BUT MOST VEG IS LOW IN CALS SO YOU CAN EAT A GOOD AMOUNT IT WILL FILL YOU UP .

I think I manage to get my 5+ veg a day most days but fruit is another matter. I dont think I could stomach 5 ‘portions’ of fruit quite apart from the effect it could have on BS.
    The govt. could be a little more specific about portion size too but I suspect it would find that very difficult.
    Sorry, I know the recommendations are sound and generally well meaning but I get a little narked when the government starts dictating to me what to eat, drink and run my life for me.

Mukica,

If everyone was capable of running their own life, at least in terms of health and nutrition, then the government wouldn’t need to ‘dictate’ to anyone.

However, given the increasing waistlines and declining health of the population it seems quite clear that most people aren’t actually capable of looking after themselves!

Dietary guidelines is 5 serves of vegetables plus 2 serves of fruit a day.

A standard serve size of vegetables is 75grams (100-350kJ), a standard serve size of fruit is 150grams (350kJ).

at is a Portion of Fruit and Veg?
    1 apple, banana, pear, orange or other similar sized fruit.
    2 plums, satsumas, kiwi fruit or other similar sized fruit.
    1⁄2 a grapefruit or avocado.
    1 large slice of melon or fresh pineapple.
    3 heaped tablespoons of vegetables, beans or pulses.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.