42 day challenge beginning 1 May

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
42 day challenge beginning 1 May

This topic contains 2,339 replies, has 109 voices, and was last updated by  back2thefuture 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,551 through 1,600 (of 2,344 total)

• Australia Day 30 FD – well that was a weekend of contrasts. Having been very, very busy on Friday night and Saturday I lay in bed until 1pm on Sunday! It was fabulous! 🙂 My husband waited on me hand and foot bringing tea, breakfast and then coffee. Having had such an extraordinarily lazy start to the day I then watched a rugby game for a couple of hours, proofread my son’s uni essay and then went to a “battle of the bands” where I wound back the clock a few decades and danced like it was 1974! A quick return to earth though – I did the weekly grocery shop on the way home from the “bands” and then cooked the Sunday roast for dinner. Talk about a mash up of a day! I need today’s FD as I ate and drank way too much over the weekend. Wishing everyone a good week.

Australia, day 30, FD, 1st of 2 for the week and my weekly weigh and graph day. Down 0.8kgs ( that’s about 1 1/2lbs). This is also my 80th week on 5:2! That’s roughly:

44 weeks losing weight with 5:2
    32 weeks deliberately maintaining with 5:2
    4 weeks losing weight again 5:2

I do 2 FDs a week, and happy to continue that way till I reach my goal weight wich is about 5kgs away (11ish lbs)

Re clothes: it is wonderful to fit into normal sized clothes now, though I may need to go down another size yet. Some are new some are from an op(for opportunaty) shop – yes Goodwill or Salvation Army, is the same thing. Some are from a few things I kept. I did give away most of my older slimmer clothes because I couldn’t see any way I could lose the weight I’d put on after getting ill, and also because we downsized to a place easier to look after than the family home. I did make the mistake of buying a bit more than I should have at an interim size, but I didn’t realize I’d go through that size as quickly as I did. I also still wear a couple of bigger things, but that’s tops- jumpers, vests, cardigans etc and its just about winter here so getter colder, and just layers on top, probably the most exciting thing was buying new undies – underpants.

I do remember a comment re winter in Australia. Yes we get winter – June, July, August. We even have snow and ski fields in a few places. It’s a very big country – a continent all on it’s own, so we have everything from hot steamy tropics in the north to cold and snow in the very south, which is the island of Tasmania, a rather large island about the same lattitude as New Zealand (which is about the most beautiful place on the planet!).

Have lively FD or NFD everyone,
    Onwards and downwards,
    Merry

That was meant to be a ‘lovely’ day, but lively sounds pretty good too.

Day 29. Wisconsin, USA. Hope you all are doing great. NFD today. Party clean up. At the lake with family. Attending graduation parties. Feeling a little off the rails. Will reign it in on Tuesday. Memorial Day Holiday tomorrow. 🙂

Australia Day 30 – 12 days to go of challenge 🙂 That’s not much!!

We are going out tomorrow for a party, so I have to b2b fast today. Not really looking forward to it if I am honest, lol. Hopefully it will be like last week and today I will be less hungry than yesterday. Today is sunny for the first day in a week, so I have washing to do, I will take the horse for a walk and will see what else needs doing. Tomorrow is going to be really busy as I have a lot to do in town as well. I am picking up an old school desk with the flip lid that I am going to put some life into. It will be perfect for my youngest, who is 3 and loves anything to do with craft.

Fasts – 16 – Non fasts – 14

Well done Edzeko! You’ll be fine in no time at all. Enjoy your family, celebrating, be aware of portions. These are times to enjoy what you’re eating and drinking,and if you keep to smaller portions you won’t get that reeeeaaallly yuck feeling, you’ll just be feeling a little full and amazed at what you did eat, but not bloated, dreadful and guilty. You must be tired too, so drink lots of water in between things to help stave off the tired=hunger thing.

For the Americans – I googled Memorial Day. How do you pass this day? Is it a time of family/food traditions? I wish you all a good Memorial Day.

Fascinating lecture – very helpful and easy to understand. Thank you for posting this!

UK day 30 – up early to get some work done ahead of the game. Feel energetic today, and looking forward to a NFD of ‘eating the fridge’ after my guest left it stocked with all sorts of food I hardly ever eat…salads, mainly!

Aus #30. Beautiful autumn day, lots of digging and raking followed by a gentle stroll. Successful FD.

Anonymous

NL day 30
    Oef…yesterday a semi-fast day, for as far as that exists. Restricted calories, 1 hour walk and had about 2,5 to 3 liters of water. This morning I had gained weight. It’s not coming off. My body is holding on to all the water it seems. Today should be a FD but I think I’m going to move that to tomorrow. Very disappointed.

France Day 30 NFD

Celebrations today!

Just entered below BMI 25 Phew I never thought I would see that again. 3 kg to go to get to my goal so I mustn’t get complacent. Big improvement in body shape already though. I need to get this waist line right. The last of the abdominal fat!

I suppose the next big step will be to see the scales go down into the sixties. 70.2 at the weigh in today. Total loss 8.6 kg since I first came across Dr Mosley, and his new fangled diet ideas. Thank you Dr Mosley.

Switzerland – Day 30 – NFD
    Grotty day five. Headache, nasty cough, generally feeling yuck. Need to shake this off and get back on track. Hope everyone has a sunny start to the week!

Wow – well done ABC1!! BMI 25 is a great achievement – you deserve to be proud of yourself!!

Pacific NW USA: Day 29 NFD

Full Day with son’s family. Did catch up on reading another few pages here but now it’s after midnight. Always seems no matter what’s going on I’m the last one in bed and the first one up! Will post weights/measures for this week tomorrow.

U.K. Day 30 enjoying the bank Holiday weekend ,have indulged in treats but in moderation, which is new behaviour for me . Actually looking forward to FD tomorrow

UK day 30 and some great updates! Wow Merryme 80 weeks on 5.2 that really does show that this is a long term sustainable WOL not a diet. ABC congratulations on the new low BMI, it’s so rewarding to reach a new milestone. And…exhale I hope you feel better soon. And to Dutch, coldpizza and anyone else who finds the scales aren’t being so obliging, it will happen. Just keep on keeping on, I’m finding there is often a bit of a time lag between a FD and the impact.
    I’ve had a pretty lax couple of days, mainly because of Jersey royal potatoes. I just can’t resist them, they are so delicious. So I decided just to indulge and really enjoy them over the weekend, accept the consequences and make up for it later.
    I’m at work only 3 days this week, Tuesday to Thursday, so I am going to try an experiment. I find fasting at work much easier than at home so I’m going to fast Tues and Thurs and keep to 800 cals on Weds. Making soup today, and a brisk walk to buy new battery for the scales.

Surrey Day 30…..Today I am going for a fast day… My choice! So now it is 11.39 and I am hungry. Have had tea, will now have some coffee. Also had 80g porridge. Let’s see how the rest of the day goes, but I really want to do this.

i think am too late but i will catch up and work extra for the days missed

Brazil 30 Challenge

Good morning everyone, the weekend was a disaster!

Returning with all forces

Day 30 California USA. Today is supposed to be a FD, but there is a potluck at work. I think I will avoid the break room today. My sister has invited me to dinner and she is an excellent cook. If it doesn’t work out, tomorrow will be My FD instead of today. Off to work. I hope to get caught up on the posts this evening.

Wishing everyone a great day!!

California day #30, I’ll try to make it a FD but not sure yet. I might do it tomorrow. I’m thinking about trying a water fast day this week, probably on Friday. I tried water fast in the past, 20 years ago and it wasn’t very difficult.

Have a lovely week!

Pacific NW USA: Day 30 FD

Going to be easy FD because son’s family leaves today and I will be very sad but I won’t try to submerge my blues in carbohydrates. I’ve had 11 months of poor health when I couldn’t travel to see my children and grandchildren so they’ve been very good about coming to us instead. After they leave I usually sink deeply into a funk of ever building bulk. Now I’ve had one month of 5:2 and some success! This week’s stats: down 3.2 lbs, -1.5 in in waist, – 1.5 in in hips, -.5 bust AND I fit back into a pair slacks which was one of the last big clothes I purchased before becoming a blimp that just wore yoga pants. i’m going to give myself some time to celebrate after I see how it goes this week as I return to work tomorrow after this long hiatus. That’s a good thing but it will be another test of my new WOL. The first test was this long family weekend.

Yes, to answer the question, in the US Memorial Day is a federal holiday on the last Monday in May and is a day of rememberance for those who have died in wars. It includes visits to cemetaries, some parades but mostly picnics and bar-b-ques that mark the beginning of the summer and boating season. The holiday usually includes the whole previous weekend and traditionally includes a lot of food based revelry.

Our food based rivalry included eating out a lot. I had b2b FD’s last week knowing this would be the case. This weekend I was able to stop when I felt full (felt very odd to leave food on the plate) at the restaurants. I am now very aware of when I go beyond TDEE even without counting down the exact calories. I think that’s one of the biggest benefits I’ve gained from 5:2, I know when I’m starting to go into mindless face stuffing and I can lay down my fork and ask myself if my body really wants this food when I’m in an eating frenzy.

I hear baby granddaughter is awake and we have to get them to the airport so I will stop my introspection for now. Good luck to all and to me while I try not to mope around the rest of the day too much.

USA day 30: NFD. Staying below TDEE. Tonight is dinner at a friends house. But she text me what she’s making and it’s very calorie friendly: grilled chicken, salad, fresh fruit. Perfect! 🙂 yesterday went well. I may have gone over my TDEE a bit with a piece of homemade blueberry pie. But it was worth it. Will have my FD tomorrow!
    Have not caught up in reading since missing Sunday! Yikes. Maybe later today 🙂 have a great day everyone!

Day 30 Gloucestershire UK: Fast-Day. A whole month on a weight-loss regime….never known before. It must be having to answer to a community and the ongoing support it gives.
    Happy Margo, yes, I’m looking forward to my “whoosh-moment” when I leave my plateau! Thanks for your encouraging words.
    And…exhale, get well soon.

US, Day 30…on the road home to lovely Jersey City. Planned pig out last evening. Dinner out at annual “Kick off the summer” restaurant on the Hudson River next to rapids. Ate on the covered deck in the pouring rain…thunder…very atmospheric. Shared a plate of Southern fried chicken livers…decadent. Split a Reuben with my niece…and finished off with Deer Tracks ice cream. As I said, a planned pig out.

Up only .03, but I do not trust this scale. Tomorrow will be the moment of truth. And tomorrow is my first FD since last Wednesday. Tuesday and Thursday.

Day 30– Colorado, USA

NFD today, day off work (YAY!) No surgeries scheduled on Memorial Day.
    Started day sharing breakfast with DH at Waffle House. Kind of a treat, haven’t been in ages!

Was surprised at how quickly I filled up. Husband thought it was funny when I just put down my fork & simply couldn’t eat any more. He reminded me of how I used to hoover up every last crumb from the plate. Progress!

And…exhale, sorry to hear you’re still feeling punky. Hope you bounce back soon!

K-Lo, you’re making me a bit “home sick” for the Adirondacks. My mom lives north of Lake George in the Park outside of North Creek near Gore Mtn & Indian Lake. Brutal in the winters, but lovely the rest of the year! (Your meal out sounding so good!)

Day 30, Los Angeles. To everyone struggling along, with or without current losses: congratulations to everyone! I am pleased to read about your successes, and empathetic to read about the struggles. Today is a FDS for me, and I think I will use my 500 cals for a nice Memorial Day steak tonight. Extended family is doing a BBQ today featuring BBQ ribs and many delicious side dishes — not sure if I’m strong enough to resist all that and just stick to my steak so I might stay home (we see each other frequently so if I don’t visit them today, I will see them soon enough!).

Had a bad night last night, stomach cramps etc after eating more bread/carbs than usual on my NFD yesterday. But I’m on the horse today. Best to all.

Melilotus– thank you for posting the link to you tube.
    Just finished watching Dr. Jason Fung’s talk re: fasting vs. low-calorie diet. Good stuff!

US/Day 30 – semi fast day yesterday went ok ….doing the same today (if possible). Scale seems to being going up/down about 1-2 lbs between last week and this week. Is ok. too many other things to focus on right now. one week left for me to meet a minor goal I set …then off for 10 days for family vacation which I will eat wonderfully (lots of fresh fish and fruit) but won’t worry about fasting, etc. if it happens, it happens. If not, it certainly will when I come back home. Have a great Memorial Day all!

U.K. Day 30

It’s a nod here and, to be honest, I have struggled. The only difference is that I have planned to get right back on the horse rather than throwing in the towel for this week. Tomorrows menu has been planned and I am ready to go. X

Australia Day 31 NFD – I woke up this morning before 4am and can’t get back to sleep. I have a full work day and a concert this evening so it will be a long day. I have been known to fall asleep in rock concerts before! I have dreadful sleep habits 🙂 Yesterday’s FD was easy which was a relief after the way I struggled last Thursday. I even cooked lamb chops for my family and sat with my husband while he had his dinner and it just didn’t bother me. I only drank black tea, black coffee and one cup of miso soup all day and think that is the best strategy for me to not trigger any hunger pangs. I am jealous of everyone having the long weekend and celebrating the start of summer! We have had an extended summer but winter hit this week and it is COLD! Loving everyone’s posts.

Day 30 – Illinois (USA) FD for me. No holiday picnics or such, so doing okay not eating.

Only problem is I have a pretty bad toothache. I had periodontal work done on this area 12 years ago, and in the past couple years, the root has become quite exposed my hygienist says. On my empty stomach, I am trying to take some ibuprofen and acetaminophen to relieve the pain. It’s only working a little, and couple that with knowing I cannot get in to the dentist tomorrow due to appointments all day, it just hurts the more. Ugh! Hopefully I can wait for relief on Wednesday! I wonder if they will decide to pull that tooth.

Songbirdme, can you find Natural Dentist mouthwash with aloe Vera? Soothes the gums

day 30 Midwest: NFD binge last night NFD. amazingly i’m not beating myself up about it. Even though i’m up 2lbs to 137lbs.

Because i know over the long term this fasting is going to change my relationship with eating. Also i binged on fruit (and dried fruit). A lot of it!

i’ve kept away from most fruit (except berries) for a year now – because i’ve learned how much sugar fruit contains.

but i think its healthier to overeat fruit than processed protein bars (and all that protein!)

i am doing 16:8 fasting today: i.e. skipping breakfast and fasting until noon.

stay strong everyone

USA Day 30 Minnesota
    Well, this is suppose to be a FD and after weighing this morning it definitely should be. Scale says I have gained over 4 and half pounds since I weighed on Thursday morning. Saturday early a.m. I weighed before our weekend trip and was already up a kilogram. The day after a partial FD. It was a black cloud that stayed over my head the whole weekend, and now another 2 lbs!!!
    I don’t know what exactly is going on, but I have a few theories. Sitting in car for 3 1/2 hours both ways without stopping and so very little water intake, fast and convenient food that I think had MSG or at least too much sodium, visiting relatives so more sitting, riding to over 5 different cemeteries to decorate graves so more sitting, and an awful but reasonably priced Mexican restaurant and drinks on Saturday eve with Nephew and wife and 5 of their children (it was our treat and their choice of restaurant). Very poor sleep on Friday night before the trip and again Saturday at the hotel. I slept like a log last night and am drinking tons of water today…..I am hopefully flushing out some of that sodium overload. It’s so good to be home and get back into my routine.
    Today, family will be over shortly for a barbecue, but I will try to stick to a small steak and some greens and fast tomorrow.
    Thank goodness I’ve had a chance to read some posts from the last couple days, but not all. I feel more encouraged now after reading of some others struggling and how you’ve all managed. Good Luck everyone…Company is here. I’ll think of you all to help me control and keep my chin up!

Day 30 UK.NFD A much easier day than expected in sunny Cornwal. OH and I cleaned through the house then my daughter and grandaughter arrived about 11. So lovely to see them and spend time in the garden, a light lunch then off to the beach, my grandaughter is 2 and a half it was the first time she’d really enjoyed jumping in the waves, such fun!! This evening was fresh fish with fresh veg and new potaoes – no butter!
    I’ve been reading the posts but forget who wrote which ones, I’m struggling with the concept of a higher fat low arb diet. I got Dr Moseley ’s book from the library and can’t put it down! I will buy a copy soon.
    Good luck all, onwards and downwards!!

Day 30. Wisconsin, USA.

It is a holiday in the United States. The weather is fantastic, and I have sat down very little in the last four days. For that reason, I have not posted much, and I have not been able to read other posts. I am going to catch up now, and I am very much looking forward to it.

I am not fasting on this holiday, even though it is Monday. This week, I will fast Tuesday and Thursday instead. My fasting routine is built around my work schedule, I think I want to keep it that way.

Less than two weeks left. Looking forward to taking the after photos. I hope I can see a difference.

Aussie day 31 FD yesterday went well I only have liquids until dinner then OH and I sit down to a proper meal. Bought some new tops yesterday a size smaller i’m stoked. NorthernDawn chin up we are all here with you,SongBirdMe i hope your tooth feels better soon there is nothing worse than toothache.

Day 31 Aus NFD. I wish I could respond to everyone’s posts but by the time I write I’ve forgotten who said what.

Yesterday was a very successful fast day. Today I plan to shake it up with a 16:8. Dinner tonight – pot au poulet with lots of vegetables and grain mustard and a teaspoon of butter plus a glass of wine. Tomorrow, another fast day, I shall use the broth and leftover chicken to make a spicy Vietnamese style pho with those low cal noodles.

Starting BMI September 2014 – 29. Today’s BMI 22.

Québec, day 30.

NFD
    134,2 …. The scale didn’t get back up to 135. Very happy about that. I will soon have the autorisation ( my authorisation) to take one small plastic ball from my ” pounds to loose jar ” and put it in my ” lost pounds jar”. That’s always rewarding !

I will fast tomorrow, my regular day.

Wishing you all a nice day/evening/night !!!!!

Thanks for the sympathy and advice for my toothache.

K-Lo — I will hopefully find the Natural Dentist mouthwash tomorrow morning before my first appointment. It’s some better this afternoon, and I am being very careful to only have body temperature beverages. It’s the hot and cold that makes it worse!

Posting again to follow up on some posts. I just read through what I missed, and I can now say with confidence that this group has been the key to my success in the last 30 days.

Thank you Merryme, Ciren2, Dutch, Coda and Dahliafan for asking about my son’s graduation party. I’m sorry if I missed anyone else. I made notes, but I may have missed a comment. I do believe the party was a success. There were about 10 minutes at the start of the party, when we realized our meat was cold, and when the wind was knocking the decorations down onto the guests’ heads, where I felt we may be on the verge of hosting the worst graduation party in the history of the Universe; we fixed these problems, and proceeded to turn things around nicely. I was wrong about the number of guests. I guessed 200, but it was closer to 300. It was exhausting and exhilarating.

Dutch…I am so impressed that you drive a motorcycle. What fun adventures you must have. Dahliafan, congratulations on uncovering your ankles. My son’s friend told my son that my son gets his cankles from his mother. My son’s friend is a real charmer, I guess. I could have done without hearing that. I didn’t even know I had cankles. My husband says I don’t, but, really, what else can a husband say?

P.S. My son thought I would think this comment was funny, because we love to have a good laugh. Naive boy.

Extra post – just got dressed and had to move in an extra notch on my belt! 🙂

Good Morning from South Australia Day 31

The final day of May and 31 days of this extraordinary link up with you all across the world. A very special unforeseen experience and not over yet!

Congratulations Edzeko on your successful party, it must have been an amazing day.

I have been reading Dr Fung’s book ‘Obesity’. I am still skeptical having read so many other books that say they know the answers to weight loss but it is still a fascinating read. We will know in a few year’s time if he has found a long term, sustainable solution for human obesity and rebooting the metabolism. I certainly hope so.

All the best to you all and Onwards and Downwards.

Pacific NW USA: Day 30 FD

Just caught up on my reading here instead of eating my way out of the sad feeling of returning to an empty house and no little foot steps (OH just said he would tip toe around if it made me feel better).

Most posts have already been commented on and support and sympathy given many times while I was running behind but I would like to acknowledge a few that hit home. Minois I’m a quilter also and before I had a food addiction I had a fabric addiction! NorrieB – welcome to the group! MerryMe thanks for the step-by-steps to get back going after a lapse. It feels very supportive for what we all need to do occasionally especially for me after this weekend that I can have a day off the plan but getting right back on is the key.

I just watched the Dr Fung You Tube from Melilotus. I want to stay on the right side of the science that supports what we are doing so please tell me if I’ve got this right. I know Dr Mosely says a FD is still a FD when you eat throughout the day or once a day as long as the total is 1/4 of TDEE. Dr Fung says a big advantage of fasting is that it doesn’t lower your metabolism like what happens when you just reduce overall calories (i.e. Biggest Loser) if you fast long enough to get your body to “eat up what’s stored in the refrigerator” (glycogen stores) so it will switch to “eating out of the freezer” (stored fat reserves). I read somewhere that switch begins after about 24 hours of fasting. For those of you more widely read and experienced than me do you know if when Dr Fung says fast he means liquids only no food or can that switch occur when you have small amounts of food during the fast? Dr Fung references IF and sustained fasting but I get the impression he says you can fast as long as you have reserved fat stores to burn.

Thanks for any insights!

Qsue – you may be able to compare Dr Mosely and Dr Fung’s recommendations to answer my question (above) since you just mentioned reading Dr Fung’s book. His videos, graphs and case studies sound like they are evidence based.

UK day 30 fd all ok, quick check in 😀

Northern Spain -still day 30, in the UK
    Fast day completed.
    It was an easy day today thankfully as I was very busy with work and everything.
    Made a huge pot of vegetable soup for tomorrow even though it’s not a fast day. I don’t count calories either but I try to take sensible choices and have only 1 mad day during the week. By mad I mean eating chocolate or crisps or whatever and I’ve promised myself not to beat myself up about it.
    Tomorrow we have soup and fish for lunch, but I am really looking forward to my breakfast! !!
    Pancakes. ..anyone? ??? Or grapefruit and cereal?
    How about a big bacon and egg sandwich??? (Only joking). But it might happen on a mad day.
    Cheers

Hi uk day 30 bit late by few mins but just catching up and checking everyone in. Sunday was sprnt busy in garden and today bank holiday was another sunny day and met up with a friend for coffee and my sons girlfriend who came home for a few days in the afternoon. Bbq with the family rounded off a lovely summer weekend.
    Well done for achievements and everyone whether they have the results they hoped for or not – you are still here in this challenge. Give yourselves a break keep to the plan and you will get there in the end!

US SE Day 30 FD. Fasted today even though it’s a holiday. Yesterday I had too much to eat so I was glad to fast today. Congrats all on your successes this week and for those who didn’t lose, keep on keeping on and don’t lose hope. Not really certain if I lost on my weigh in day as I was not home. I’ll just wait till next week and hope for the best 🙂

Viewing 50 posts - 1,551 through 1,600 (of 2,344 total)

You must be logged in to reply.