42 day challenge beginning 1 May

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
42 day challenge beginning 1 May

This topic contains 2,339 replies, has 109 voices, and was last updated by  back2thefuture 3 years ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1,601 through 1,650 (of 2,344 total)

• day31 Cornwall UK. Now nearly 1am, I can’t sleep because I ache so much in knees and hips, arthritis is a bitch! Just catching up on the posts for the past few days to take my mind off and while the pain-killers kick in! I can’t believe that its a whole month Ive actually stuck to the 5.2 and I’m seeing the evidence on the scales and on the tape measure that it really is working!
    I truely believe that without this challenge (thankyou coda), reading the posts and knowing that many are going through tough times as well, I may not have stuck it! You are all so helpful and encouraging! We’re still hanging on in there!! Well done to us all!!
    This is truely changing my relationship with food, normally when I’m in pain in the night I go and make a big peanut butter sandwich with a large glass of milk – my comfort food. Tonight I’m not doing this because though I feel ‘peckish’ I know I really don’t need it!
    Later today I’m going out with 2 of my 4 daughters for a pampering spa day, so I’ve got my swimsuit out and I do believe there are fewer bulges! So a steam, sauna and facial will be wonderful and hopefully help with aching joints!
    Good luck to you all, wherever you are in this world of ours. Onwrd and downwards!!

USA 30 of 42
    Got off track the last few days. I was so busy ,made some poor choices.
    Headed to store tomorrow to stock up on veggies ect…

Hi back2thefuture,

To answer your question. It is better to reduce or fast for say 2 days and eat normally for 5 days than to reduce your caloric intake evenly over 7 days. For example lets say your TDEE is 2000 cal per day. Its better to eat 0 cal for two days and have 2000 cal for the other 5 days rather than have reduced 1430 cals for 7 days. The feast/famine style of eating has been genetically programmed into us over thousands of years. The eating 3 meals a day plus snacks is a very recent phenomenon. Really only in the last generation. Go back just to your parents generation and it wasn’t the case. I remember even being told off for snacking…it would ruin my dinner was a constant catch dry from my mum.

Fung is basically correct and quotes lots of papers on the topic of metabolic rate. Fasting doesn’t slow down metabolic rate but continuous reduced caloric intake does. When Fung talks about fasting he means fasting (no caloric intake). You burn a combination off glucose, glycogen and fat ALL the time. The ratios change depending on your activity and what you have stored at that particular moment in time. Obviously if you are fasting your glycogen and fat percentage burn will go up and glucose burn will go down. Eventually you will be deriving the vast majority of your energy from fats (ketosis which is good and not to be confused with ketoacidosis which is bad. Ketosis is like a nice fire in a fireplace, ketoacidosis is when the house is on fire.)

You will not flip into ketosis if you have small carb top ups. Your body isn’t that stupid. Switching over to ketosis in 24 hours is optimistic if you are just starting proper fasts. When I first started doing fasts (I used to do 2 consecutive days of water fasting, so about 60 hours, now in maintenance mode so I do 6:1) I would just get to ketosis by the end of 60 hours. I measured this with a blood glucose/ketone meter (they are cheap to buy). Now that my liver is better at processing fats it takes me 24 hours to get into ketosis. Remember this just means the vast majority of your energy is coming from stored fats, but you are burning all three energy sources all the time, just in different ratios.

Fung is correct you have enough stored fats to last you for months!! I don’t think he or anyone sensible is actually suggesting to water fast for months though. I think he was just making a point.

Hope that helps answer your questions.

Switzerland – Day 31 – NFD

Thank you for all your good wishes – they must be powerful stuff because I woke this morning feeling as right as rain. Yesterday turned into a FD because I hadn’t eaten anything by mid-afternoon and decided to stick with it.

We have the plumbers in for a couple of days, and I told the kids not to drink the water from the taps. They looked a bit skeptical until I turned on the bathroom tap and all this brown water and sand spat out – from the looks on their faces, I think they will take my warnings more seriously for a while!

So pleased to hear the graduation party went well Edzeko – I think we were all willing it to work out from our different corners of the world. 300 people is really epic. I hope you get a well-earned rest!

I’m a bit late with results, and didn’t track cals on MFP for the last couple of days, so have gone a bit awry, but here we go:

May 1 – 89.5kg
    May 8 – 88.9kg
    May 15 – 88.8kg
    May 22 – 88.7kg
    May 29 – 88.9kg (0.6kg loss from start, but my trousers are definitely looser!)

11 days of the challenge left, and my personal goal is to get under 88kgs. This is not as crazy as it sounds, as I was 88.2 mid-week last week. Let’s see how it goes. Good luck today everyone!

Hi bigbooty: Thank you for the reply and it was helpful! I am concerned about becoming a “biggest loser” as described by Dr Fung wherein my metabolic rate slows such that even lowered caloric intake goes to fat storage and regain of weight loss. If I have understood the 5:2 method I have been eating 1/4 of TDEE on fast days (one evening meal) and below TDEE on non-fast days In order to burn stored fat. In my first month I have not felt hungry for breakfast on non-fast days and have eaten below TDEE in two meals but I wonder if this falls into the category of “continuous reduced caloric intake”. I have lost weight by this method but will it all come back?

Australia, NonFD, day 31, last day of autumn, cold and wet here.

UK day 31 Parties,plumbers,ups and downs there’s a lot going on around the world, I really love reading all your posts

Really enjoyed the long weekend had lots of treats but stayed within TDEE now actually looking forward to fasting today and buckling down and giving it my all until the end of this challenge – I’m then going to Italy for 3 weeks and then I’ll be set for our July challenge

UK day 31, supposed to be summer here but also windy and rainy. Fasting today and trying a water fast properly for the first time. There’s some interesting stuff in the UK media this morning about how fasting can reverse type 2 diabetes. I know there’s a thread on this site which is all about that (and better informed than the Daily Mail!)
    Good luck everyone today, Rocy65 enjoy your spa day with your daughters, what a treat.

UK day 31 – NFD. ..only notable thing is (drum roll, please) husband noticed I looked slimmer this morning…without prompting!

Surrey UK Day 31. Yesterday FD was not that easy because I was not very busy, and to top it all my granddaughter made the nicest cheese sticks! By 8 pm I just had to have one, which then became four. It was still under my TDEE but obviously stopped being a FD, so now I need to have another FD. Many of the posts are very informative, so thank you all. I knew what I was doing, so move on. It’s a new day!
    I read a post earlier and can’t remember who it was, but I saw mention of the Adirondacks and Lake George….it brought back wonderful memories. I lived in that area for a year on a scholarship many many years ago. I was based in Saranac Lake, and made some very close friends, Dr Julian and Sarah Joffe in particular. They are long since gone, but I loved them dearly. It has to be some of the most beautiful countryside I have ever seen, particularly in autumn. I had no idea such intense colours were possible!

Day 31– Colorado, USA

Incredibly long & busy work day ahead of me today… should make fasting fairly easy (won’t have a chance to even get near food.) May even try b2b fasts Tuesday & Wednesday.

Still feels very strange not hopping on the scale for a peek. Haven’t weighed since Saturday morning. I’m attempting to break my (slightly obsessive) habit of daily weigh ins. At least till the end of this Challenge.
    Hopefully there will be a nice surprise number for me come June 11th!! 🙂

Australia – Day 31 – 11 days to go of challenge.

Hello to everyone 🙂
    Backtothefuture – I haven’t watched that documentary. I usually do a 36 hour water fast. On my 2 b2b days, I have lost more weight than at any other stage, so that sounds right about it switching on after 24 hours. The only thing I notice on the b2b fasting was that I felt really light and wasn’t as hungry on the second day. Anyone else find that?
    ONEHEALTHYHIGH – Wow. That is a massive BMI difference. Congratulations. You must be feeling so much better now.
    Edzeko – Happy holiday! Which one is it?

Today was a non fast day. I had a sneaky weigh in this morning and was at 79.9!!! Finally under 80. Just. But still, lol. I hope it stays off for my proper weigh in on Saturday.

US, Day 31, back to work day…and a FD.

And I was right. My “vacation” scale is a pound light. So I put back 1+ but I will take it off quickly. My optimism on this way of eating/living far outstrips my annoyance at a weight gain. I KNOW I can do this and will CONTINUE to lose another 2 pounds to get to my goal by the end of JUne.

I had a wonderful long weekend with extended family. My older son brought his gf of 1.5 years to meet the rest of the my side of the family. They all liked her and she enjoyed herself. Son #1 is a happy guy.

Hi back2thefuture,

No I don’t think you will have a problem. Sometimes I don’t even feel hungry on my NFD but eat because Im “supposed” to. Ive noticed that my appetite has gotten smaller since doing 5:2. I think that were most people fail with diets is that they don’t know what to do once they reach their goal weight and they revert to their old habits. Treat this diet like a journey not a destination. Once you get to your goal weight change over to 6:1. That’s what Ive done and its been easy. One day out of 7 you just have to reduce what you eat. Every Monday is my big reset button. I vary by less than 0.5kgs or about 1 pound. Its easy and costs you NOTHING!! How good is that.

Australia Day 31. FD and also celebrating one month of sticking to a weight loss regime, first time ever! My treat was a relaxing facial this afternoon. Already thinking about what my 2 month treat will be. I also watched the Dr Fung video and found it very interesting. I plan to do more research on the science of fasting and would appreciate any recommendations.

Day 31- USA Illinois NFD Made it okay yesterday on FD, salad and small portion of grilled steak to celebrate Memorial Day.

I cannot remember seeing 170 on my scale for about 15 years. Until this morning that is! That’s down 16# since starting 5:2 March 15, 11 weeks. I am more than thrilled. I was one skeptical old gal when I first heard of this diet.

Edzeko, so glad your huge party was such a success. Yeah!
    Norrie, I just love cheese in any form (deep fried curds are my absolute favorite, but sticks too. Mmm.

USA day 31: FD! Okay…I don’t like being thrown off my FD schedule. This morning I woke up and wasn’t feeling right so I decided to do my FD tomorrow. I made my espresso, with almond milk and decided to put in a little cream too. I started sipping it and it tasted so heavy…and I felt like “no, I need to do my FD today”. So I stopped. Don’t know how many calories that was..maybe 50 (rounding up, just in case). Will attempt to do FD then today…I usually don’t do espresso on my FD’s cause it’s the start of my breakfast.

The plan: FD today. Making some chicken in a crock pot and will do chicken salad tonight. Grocery shopping today (which can be tough on a FD, but ah well!) Hope I can stick to the FD today. Looking forward to getting back on my “schedule”. Memorial day threw me off. Not eating-wise, thankfully. I ate pretty healthy and enjoyed some treats but wasn’t excessive..and was able to get a nice hike in.

Anonymous

NL day 31
    Dahliafan thanks for your encouragement. You were right. It does seem to be a delay in weight loss. This morning 0.7kg off. Don’t know why I was so grumpy because my total loss now is about 4,5kg.
    Edzeko- it sounds like a party never to forget! Good job!
    Onahealthyhigh- it sure is an impressive lowering of your BMI. Wow!
    Quebecoise- what a lovely visual reminder of pounds lost. Mind if I copy the 2-jar idea??
    SongBirdMe- We don’t have Natural Dentist mouthwash in the NL. We do have a site called “Oma weet raad”, which kind of translates into “Grandma knows what to do”. I looked up toothache and if you put a clove(oil) on the hurting tooth/spot the clove will lessen the pain. My indonesian mother-in-law also used the method. It was also used in the film Marathon Man in the 1970’s. I love the site! If a solution doesn’t work: try the next. Just love it:>
    So many posts to reply to…so little time!
    I started reading dr. Mosley’s book again…..trying to figure out why I was gaining instead of losing weight. But then again…I might just leave it as it is and accept an occasional increase. So, back on the horse!

USA, Day 31. Fasting today.

Hello guys Challenge 31 days
    Lack little, only 10 days to finish and I did not lose weight.

US/Day 31 – FD today (ate well under TDEE the past two days but don’t feel like I had a “true” 500 cal or less FD). Light breakfast before workout, then busy day with fish and veggies for dinner. Have a good day all.

Hi all – well we are down to 40 committed people – well done to all for sticking with the challenge – I would not anticipate any one disappearing from now to the end. I would have to get my big stick out! lol

Onahealthyhigh – well done on impressive results, HannahW excellent results in getting the next belt notch down.

Thank you bigbooty for popping in and giving us the benefit of you experience – much appreciated.

Hard to believe we are into the penultimate week – so everybody look carefully at your plan and tighten up where you may have relaxed a little.

Anaide – you have lost weight so far have you not – just not this week? Don’t worry about that as I have not dropped according to the scale for 2 weeks! They are only a small cog in the wheel and not the be all and end all – in fact they are the cause of many a downfall – so DO NOT go by the scales alone.

Shortly after my last post, I ate breakfast. Today is not a fast day. But will stay under TDEE and have my FD tomorrow. Moving forward.

France Day 31 NFD

Yesterday was supposed to be a non fast day but I was busy and once it got past lunch time I declared it a fast day.

I am not feeling hungry on fast days. In fact I find NFD scarey in case I mess up the good work. Still I am eating stuff I consider good for me, mostly a plant based diet.

There is something I don’t understand. I have read all that bigbooty has just been writing with which I am familiar, but if we go into Ketosis later, why do we bother having the 500 calories? Or the quarter of the TDEE?

Wouldn’t it increase the ketosis if we fasted longer and then went back to normal eating to not get the body thinking all food was on hold for ever?

As it is my fasting lasts only 24 hours from one supper to the next and then I intake about 350 calories, before my second consecutive day. or I go on to a non fasting day.

I am interested in buying a blood glucose/ketone meter. I want to know more about this if anyone can point me in the right direction?

Please can you give the ref for Fung’s film?

Thanks for your post bigbooty.

Day31 California,USA. I managed to have a successful fast day yesterday. Has miso soup and salad for lunch during the potluck at work. My friend made a delicious peanut butter cake. I took a taste and brought a piece home in case I wanted it today, but probably won’t eat it. I just had the satisfaction of cutting a piece and knew it was there instead of depriving myself and saying no. My dinner plans fell through with my sister which helped me to maintain my fast day. I just had to retreat to my bedroom to watch the Warriors beat the OKC last night to avoid any mindless eating. Today is a NFD. Off to work now.

Wishing a great day to all!

ABC1 – putting aside the ketosis issue and going back to the guidelines for 5:2 –

I.e. 2 non-consecutive fast days at 1/4 of your TDEE or under 500 female and under 600cals male, and 5 days at or under your TDEE.

So, in looking at intermittant fasting as a healthy means of normalising our individual test results on various blood tests, Dr Mosely looked at several versions. He postulated that while these got results they were too rigorous for the average person to continue with, and suggested that, to make it more do-able, having a small amount of calories on 2 non-consecutive days a week would still normalise people’s blood tests. This 5:2 version of intermittant fasting has been proven to work. A by product was people started reporting weight loss, which has become a big thing now.

Strictly speaking a fast is no food/cals at all, but a little food works as well. A 5:2 fast day does not end when you eat on your fast day. It starts in the evening when you last eat, goes right through the next day, the next night and finishes when you first eat on your nonFD, much longer than 24hr , say 8pm Sunday night till 8am Tuesday morning 36hrs. It still works for your weight loss if you eat under the amount stipulated – the 500-600cals.

This works whether you go into the science of ketosis or not. Are you getting anxious? It will work whether you measure for ketosis or not. On nonFDs this programme works on whatever food you want as long as the calories don’t go over your TDEE. Most people find they start to eat healthier on their nonFDs . If you are worrying about nonFDs try counting calories for 5 nonFDs then plan your nonFDs around what you discover. Perhaps work out menus for the 5 or 10 days, so you know you won’t go over. There are 5:2 recipe books you could use where the daliries are worked out for you. You can make up a large dish and measure portions to freeze. You need to work on getting confidence in your nonFDs. Good luck, I know you can do it.
    Merry

Hi ABC1,

Wow this post moves alone fast. There is nothing magical about 1/4 TDEE. It was a compromise that MM thought most people could handle. If you think you can do zero cal water fasts by all means do it. I tried eating 1/4 TDEE when I first started and tried zero cals and actually found it easier, so that’s what I did. Everyone is different.

I use a Freestyle Optium Neo. It measures both blood glucose and ketone bodies. The unit itself is about $30-40. The glucose sticks are about 50 cents each and the ketone sticks are about $1 each. Shop around on ebay and you will find a good price. Heres an example from ebay Australia. Not sure where youre based but look up your local ebay, Im sure they will have listings

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-Abbott-Freestyle-Optium-Neo-5x-Boxes-of-Ketone-Strips-40-Cashback-/272216852697?hash=item3f616388d9:g:WVEAAOSwepZXTW-k

Day 31 Cotswolds, UK, non-fast day. I’m back to work, at last, after almost two weeks on holiday and for my minor surgery too. Now down to 40 of us? YES we’ll all stick with it now Coda, no doubts!

Sorry,’ daliries’ should be ‘calories’.

Day 31. Wisconsin, USA.

11 more days? You all are amazing. Your experiences, tips, struggles and victories have kept me coming back for more. Even after this holiday weekend, when I was completely out of my routine, and not able to control as many variables as I typically do, I had little doubt that I’d get back on track. Thank you all so much, Coda especially.

Changed my FD to today, rather than yesterday when I was at home with the family. It’s so much easier at work. Although, “easier” is a relative term. Fasting is never really easy for me.

I had a few problems this weekend, problems like potato chips and hot dogs. But, I also went long periods without eating, and was constantly on my feet. I just did not have time to do any advance planning, so I was really winging it. I will see the damage when I weigh in on Friday. I hit 20,000 steps the last three days in a row. I hope that energy output helped balance the scales.

Have a GREAT week everyone. Let’s finish strong!

Day 31 USA (Minnesota) about 9:30 a.m.
    FD today. I stayed well under TDEE yesterday with a small steak and veggie. I continued to drink fluids and this morning my weight was down 2 lbs since yesterday. I am so relieved. I must have been retaining plenty of sodium and extra water from my trip this past weekend. I’m still up about 2 lbs from last Thursday, but I’ll just keep on plan with my two fast days and hope for the best.
    I’m a bit disappointed in myself for what must have been overeating, because I had a goal to meet for this Friday when I’ll see family and old acquaintances that I haven’t seen in many years, but at least I’m closer to my goals than I was a month ago! That’s the bright spot and I’m grateful for having found this WOL and this thread.
    The positive attitudes here are contagious.
    Thanks for the encouragement, Fishing Gran, and everyone.
    Good luck everyone. Love reading your posts.

Day 31 (!) in Los Angeles. Like Northern Dawn, I limited my FD yesterday to a small portion of steak and a”vegetable” for Memorial Day. (My artichoke with lemon-light mayo dipping sauce was ok calorie-wise, but isn’t it too delicious and fun to be a vegetable?! 😉
    Today is a NFD and my resolve is firm, thanks in part to everyone here. May we all be happy with our efforts at the end of today!

Edzecko, I blame my son for bringing in all that delicious stuff from Fromagination!

Hi,

California, day #31, NFD. Was not able to finish my FD yesterday. I’ll try again tomorrow. The Memorial Day long weekend was not easy for me, we ended up eating out with friends. It was decent but I had too much homemade chocolate with almonds. Good stuff but not for my waistline.

Have an easy week!

Thanks Merryme for your concerns. I am losing weight, that is not a problem. I had been curious as to why we have the quarter TDEE.

Thanks bigbootie for your explanation. I have since found a couple of You tube films featuring this with Dr Fung. I think I feel much happier knowing I can fast more if it suits me.

It is strange that such a tool has not been made available to us before, since the science was known long ago. I am a convert for sure after this challenge.

My friend in the USA has a terrible time with his weight because he is on insulin. This situation is explained so well by Dr Fung. What a pity diabetes is not managed better.

Pacific NW USA: Day 31 FD

Bigbooty – you’ve been so helpful, thank you for sharing your experience! Your advise about 6:1 maintenance is also a good reminder. Also the info on the meter you use, thanks, my personality type seeks understanding and numbers help me see the logic so I will try to find a source in the US. And you asked . . . How great is this? It’s so wonderful and is working for so many of us!

ABC1 – this is the Dr Fung video that raised questions for me: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tIuj-oMN-Fk
    You probably already found it but it was my concern that over this past month I seem, like bigbooty, to want to eat less on FD’s as well as NFD’s and as per Dr Fung’s caution, I wondered if I was I falling into “continual calorie restriction” which would lead to “biggest loser syndrome” (lower metabolism and weight regain). Sounds like I”m doing OK but just the act of sharing my concerns and reading bigbooty’s and our peer group feedback has helped me get it off my chest.

More later as this is my first day back to work and I’m limiting my personal stuff to breaks!

USA 31 of 42
    Time to recharge, only 10 days left in challenge!

Midwest USA, day 30. (partial) FD (=16:8 fast and pretty low cal.

Food (overeating) i am BREAKING UP with you. I’m done coming to you as my best friend / lover. I recognize that i am powerless over certain foods and once i start….i binge.

I’m not playing around with you anymore, thinking i can control my portion sizes. I can’t.

Awesome day here. Happy with that re (alization/ decision.

Still doing 16 hours fasting and eating within an 8 hour window. It’s helping me reconnect with hunger once again, and enjoying it.

Lost 1 lb. Down to 136.

8lbs to goal weight.

Learning that the more i eat clean healthy foods, the easier it is to fast.

Bye bye protein bars (fake chocolate bars). I’m breaking up with you.
    keep up the good work everyone. Courage those who are struggling. We all have bad days. The trick is to get right back in the saddle

Australia Day 32 FD – I blew my non-fast day yesterday and am so angry with myself. I had had a successful FD on Monday and then ate lightly at breakfast and lunch yesterday as we were going to dinner and a concert. But we ended up having dinner with friends and it was very small so I arrived home at 10:30 really hungry and took to the fridge. Am having my 2nd FD a day early to try and make up for it.

Just checking in again to report that I didn’t manage a water fast, or decided not to continue with it, because I was just TOO COLD!! Ate well under 500 calories though so all fine. Also, Fromagination, what a great name!

USA day 31, today is my fasting day, I did not do well on weekends days saturday and Sundays because I overate in them as a result of work stress,I wish I can do something to avoid weekends overeating,I discovered I eat when I get stressed, it is just when I have stress at work or anything else my body can not tolerate another stress which is feeling hungry, anybody have any idea to avoid overeating under stress situations?thank you
    wish everybody wonderful day.

Aussie day 32 doing a FD today doing three this week so much to read and so interesting I try to fast from dinner to dinner then nothing till breakfast the next day that seems to work for me made pancakes for my grandaughter who i drop of at school didn’t even feel like any I used to just stuff my face them lol. good losses everyone.

Aus day 32. Another planned fast day.

Happy to say I get to see the dentist tomorrow. The pain comes and goes, but it still hurts to chew on that molar. I believe now this is the result of some shred of dental floss that got in there late last week – thought it had worked out, but maybe not.

Québec, day 31
    FD and it went well.
    Still on board wirh you all.
    I’m really looking forward to weigh tomorrow morning.
    Bye bye

US SE Day 31 NFD. Back to work today. Pretty sure I’m below TDEE but did cave and have 4 slices of mountain bread toasted with butter.. yum yum. Haven’t done that in ages 🙂

Australia, day 32, nonFD,

Down another 800gms on the graph on this weeks weigh in. So happy with that. I am just finishing 4 weeks on 5:2 weight loss again after my decision to maintain during a number of capital L life stresses all coming at once. 800gms(400gms is my usual) is a big weight loss for me in a week, and I’ve about 4 kgs to go now. I would be very happy to get there by the end of winter when I can get winter clothing in my final size at end of season prices.

On my FD I was aiming for 375cals, and did 360. Later realized I’d under counted the number of portions in the seafood soup I’d made and my cals were actually 270. Now I’m getting closer to goal weight I much prefer to use 1/4 of my TDEE. Because I’m sedentary my TDEE is quite low and my FD cals are 375 at the moment. Some people use 1/4 of their TDEE goal weight from when they start 5:2, and they lose faster. I prefer to adjust my FD calories down as I lose weight.

ABC1 and bigbooty – the written word does not always carry the exact intention of the writer. I’m sorry if there was a misunderstanding here. I was not intending ABC1 ignore ketosis. I cannot comment on ketosis, having not looked into it yet (other then the indelicate subject of my urine smells different on FD afternoons and nights). My interest is in the psychological, emotional, socialogical, even epidemiological facets of 5:2. Bigbooty is absolutely right – there’s no magic in 1/4 TDEE on FDs or the < 500/600 cal average. The genius of 5:2 though, is that it makes it available to almost everyone., and has brought intermittant fasting to the notice of medical and health professionals worldwide. It makes a healthy lifestyle available en masse, to all of us in our ‘lost’ world of overabundance of food/overprocessed/over sweetened food and our unnatural fat enducing lifestyles. 5:2 has also introduced us to HIT exercise, another breakthrough.

NonFDs are confusing sometimes to people new to 5:2. They see “feast and famine” and “eat what you like” and confuse quantity with type of food, and then wonder why they don’t lose weight. Some give up because of it. Others, like me, had to learn that, even if the right cals count, if I ate starchy carbs and sugars my weight loss stalled every time.

People on the forum are getting healthy on various regimes – 5:2, 4:3, b2b, water fasts, and on nonFDs sometimes 16:8 or 19:5 appears in individual regimes. This is forum is an amazing sociological tool. It’s up to each of us to work out how our bodies and minds operate individually, and I will be grateful for this opportunity as long as I live.

I wish you both well. I’m glad you are normalising your weight ABC, and big booty thank you for your knowledge.

Onwards and Downwards,
    Merry

Pacific NW USA: Day 31 FD

Tried an experiment today, had a small salad with chicken strips for lunch instead of waiting till dinner because I ate out with workmates. I believe I’m feeling more hunger having eaten mid-day than when I usually water fast during the day and have my 500 cals at dinner. I ate half the portion served by the restaurant and brought the other half home. It seems a long time till bedtime! ETJ – thanks for sharing how you manage your FD for 30 hrs and that you’ve noticed you lose more weight with b2b fasts. Do you do your b2b’s water fasting the whole way too? That’s how bigbooty and Dr M began their fasting experiences I believe.

SongBirdMe – so happy for all 170 lbs of you and glad you’re getting to the dentist!
    Crush – your question about stress eating is interesting in light of my added hunger this afternoon. It was my first day back to work after a year off and maybe my hunger is coming from additional stress too. At work everyone was very welcoming and so wonderful and no demands have been put on me but I was also told I have to meet with HR, etc, etc so maybe that’s it??? I remember a great post by Coda giving us a lot of premptive steps to try to forestall eating and many of her ideas were just great stress busters too. Were you with us then? Do you remember? I’ll try to go back over these 33 pages and try to find it for myself and if I do I will share unless Coda gets to this first! I just try to remind myself that I don’t have to eat my emotions, then take another drink of water!

Good morning from South Australia Day 32

It is the first day of summer in the northern hemisphere and the first day of winter here in the South. Happy new season to everyone.

Back2thefuture Dr Fung’s book ‘Obesity’ covers a lot of science and specific details and questions which other people have already answered since my last post.

A Fung fast has no calories at all except lemon slices in water. He suggests water, teas without milk, and bone broth. He has a recipe in the book for bone broth. He says just water is absolutely fine but you can have the other things, coffee, tea and bone broth if you want to.

Dr Fung does not have a 5:2 Official Forum like this one where we have a maintenance forum and people can write freely about whether the 5:2 diet is sustainable long term or not. It makes interesting reading and is well worth checking out although I must admit some of the posts are a bit weird but that is part of it’s strength as well. It helps my skepticism when everyone can contribute.

So I follow 5:2 because it is not too extreme and it works really well for me. If it stops working I have Dr Fung’s advice as back up but so far I am doing what works.

Dr Fung’s scientific theories sounds great but as yet they have not been proved with scientific practice over the decades of human real life. As he himself says we thought Doctor Atkins had it all sorted out a few years ago. I really hope we do find the solutions because the current obesity figures are terrible in both rich and poor countries and our little children are going to find it harder than us.

Today is Weigh In Wednesday for me and I have lost another 300 grams this week so that is 1.1 kilos altogether since the start of our challenge which is great. I have now lost over 15 kilos since I started this WOE 36 weeks ago.

All the best to all you Fabulous Forty Challengers and Onwards and Downwards

HannahWatto I too am going to a rock band and intend hitting the dance floor this Friday.

Brightonbelle Italy! you lucky girl

Viewing 50 posts - 1,601 through 1,650 (of 2,344 total)

You must be logged in to reply.