30 Day-November 2016-Challenge!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
30 Day-November 2016-Challenge!

This topic contains 3,401 replies, has 151 voices, and was last updated by  LindaSue 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 3,410 total)

• And..to Bert1802, my hubby grew up in Treasure Island, and my grandparents lived in Pass a Grille. My MIL just sold her house last year and moved to Gainesville. We miss the area. Vacationing in Homosassa in January.

Day 2 FD
    I was wondering what to eat today but have found many great ideas posted. I like the soup idea and popcorn without butter. I’m starting the day with a nice ginger pear green tea. Off to a good start!

London | Day 2 | FD till 2pm (24h water fast)

Good morning all!

FD (2nd half of 24h water fast) going ok so far. Another 2 hours to go. Had a black coffee in the morning and been sipping water throughout.

Had a quick browse of the questions posted, thought I’d answer a few from my experience:

Mflood023 – as simcoeluv says, make sure you stick to the 1/4th calorie count allowed for the FD, doesn’t matter when you eat. When I started 5:2, I did 250:250 for breakfast:dinner. Then I felt I’m making life harder for myself by splitting the calories, so I started taking the whole 500 at dinner time. I’m now able to go with just water (or black coffee/tea etc) for 24h. If it gets too tough, I fall back on a 250-300 cal dinner to get me through.
    Dr Mosley says it’s best to be in the ‘fast’ mode for as long as possible, be it by splitting the calorie allowance or not – this is the key to suppressing you insulin response – in turn helping your body to turn to fat burning mode.
    Also, as simcoeluv says, if you have a low carb-moderate protein-high fat meal (raw veg, eggs etc) to break fast, the resulting insulin spike will be less compared to a high carb meal (bread/rice/pasta-type food). This will also help you feel full quicker AND a good strategy to avoid overeating on NFDs.
    Don’t be scared to experiment with food and fasting times etc. You’ll find a good/comfortable combination in good time.

Lou Belles – glad I’m not the only slow coach here, lol. I agree with you about exercise slowing down weight loss. Muscle is heavier than fat, also genetics and hormonal changes have varied effects. Check out simcoeluv’s (somewhat controversial judging by the responses) post about this –
    (https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/).
    Jason Fung’s Obesity Code also explains this to some extent.
    I’ve accepted my slow weight loss now. My advise is not to fully rely on the number on the scales. Keep a record of weight loss with hip and waist measurements, also clothes size. I went down 2 dress sizes (14 to 10) and a bra size in the first 3 months, with only ~3kg loss on the scales.

hi I’m new and want to join. I’m considering fasting to help lower my Blood sugar and decrease my insulin resistance as well as lose weight. so I’m fasting today. and by the end of November I want to have normal blood sugar numbers. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Day 2 FLA USA. NFD just finishing up Monday Tuesday back-to-back fast days with only coffee tea or water. Did a great exercise class on Monday and did a great yoga class Tuesday night – didn’t sleep as well as I normally do but I know I’ll be right back there tonight so not worried about it.
    Welcome to all the newbies this really is a great plan no matter how weight you lose – the whole process seems to calm your mind and let you put things in perspective – makes sticking to those fast days so much easier. Have a good day everyone

Day 2, Texas. NFD.

sunnyfields,

Reduce sugar intake to zero. Reduce simple carbs found in all grain based products like bread, pasta, pizza, cakes biscuits to zero. Do this every day just not on fast days. Good luck.

Good Morning All – USA – Missouri Ozarks – Day 2, Fasting

Feeling great, yesterday went fine but I will admit to having a moment mid day at lunchtime when I had to decide,

A. Do I walk left and end up at the deli

B. Do I walk right and end up at the park and beautiful residential neighborhoods all decorated for Fall?

I chose B, walked vigorously for an hour and it felt great !

Ate a salad last night, got in some more exercise, slept good – ready for another day of fasting.

Going to vote today !

Have a wonderful day all.

Yay Cubs ! What a great game, glad they got on the board early to give them a little breathing room. My husband said it is probably rigged to go the whole seven games as there is so much revenue involved.

I say, Whatever !

GO Cubs !

Day 2– Colorado, USA- NFD

Not fasting today, but will eat lightly with soups & lots of liquids.

I always did best on my Fast Days when busy at work all day to take my mind off food. But now I am house-bound, post-surgery & the pantry / fridge keep calling to me.

So I’m managing my calories by filling up on healthy, homemade, veggie-packed soups.

Georgia/USA/Day2/NFD:

At a conference today. Feeling a little under the weather. Trying to soldier through. I had dinner with a friend last night ( Mexican), and it was fantastic! I enjoy time with my friends. For the first time in a while I didn’t feel guilty about what I was eating. I tracked my calories during the day using “My Fitness Pal” and I stayed within my limits. Looking forward to loosing this month! Everyone have a wonderful day!

Day 2, NFD, Saint Mary’s, Georgia ..
    I did extremely well yesterday fasting and I have decided to measure and weighin 10 days prior to the end of the month!!
    Best of luck to everyone !!

Day 2,NFD, Canada.
    Fast day yesterday went well, woke up hungry this morning so will enjoy 3 meals today eI thin my TDEE. Tomorrow will be another fast day,then the rest of the week at a conference. PLANNING to tote my healthy meals along rather than trying to pick out the lowest calorie choices from the buffet meals that will be on offer.
    It’s gloomy and rainy here on the wet coast.

DAY 2 – LONDON, UK – FD

DAY 2 -NYC – FD

I have a dinner tonight at a Japanese restaurant so I have already worked out the calories for what I could eat for dinner. Was tempted to try and eat nothing until dinner so that I can have more options but I do not usually go that long without eating. Usually I have coffee in the morning and eat lunch at around 2 or 3 and then dinner.

Thank you for all the info posted on TDEE. Its all very interesting to read. I liked the suggestion of underestimating my activity level, especially since I just started back onto my regular 3 x a week exercise routine. I have one question: has anyone found that every single TDEE calculator they use comes up with a different number? I just bought a scale that measures, water, fat, muscle, weight etc and that gave me the lowest option for TDEE. Thought it was interesting.

Thank you all!

Day 2 : Perth, Australia FD

US, Day 2, NFD

Day 2; Toronto; NFD
    Yesterday was a fast day, and because I didn’t go to bed early, because I decided it would be great to chat with my daughter, I ended up eating a peanut butter and jam sandwich at midnight. For my next fast day, no staying up late, I will go to bed, otherwise I will eat something I shouldn’t. I think it’s the only way I will get through things.
    Good luck to everyone!

Day 2: Gloucestershire, UK: Non-fast day.

Hi there folks.

Dandylion from brittany France.

I’ve chosen the Monday & Thursday as my fast days.

So I’ll get back to you tomorrow to let you know how I got on.

A bientôt

BC, CA Day 2 FD
    doing back to back fasts. I’m afraid that I didn’t keep my cals to 500 yesterday, more like 650 but, it’s a start. Def going to keep it 500 today. Thinking that if I do that for 2 weeks and start going down to slowly, eventually to a water fast. Just need to keep my mind and hands busy!

Day 2: Phoenix, AZ: Nonfast day

Starting weight: Nov 1 227.8 lbs
    Goals:
    1. Fast Monday and Thursday
    2. On NFD’s 2,000 calories a day
    3. Walk 10.000 steps a day

Good morning,
    I am going to join so that I can hold myself accountable. I have never joined a group support forum before, but I am excited to find support somewhere.

I think my friends and family are tired of me talking but never sticking to anything.
    I am tired of it myself, and I hoping to get the a boost.

I find that fasting is a much better fit for me.

Thanks everyone for your support. 🙂

Day 2 UK NFD

Keeping it low today and going into a water (and coffee!) only tomorrow. NFD are the risk times for me.

B2tf – what a massive job this is! Thanks so much x

Day 2 UK FD

Today ok. Going according to plan.

I like the specifics of how people orchestrate their day.

So my 1st Fast day,

Hot water and lemon, which I drank throughout my working day.
    Lunch Jacket potato, beans and sprinkle of cheese and cup of tea (with sugar) .
    Like to have one filling meal on FDs.

Nothing this evening as back to work, so keeping busy is the key for me. Exercise 10,000 steps will be achieved by end of the day.

A few days late but I would like to join the November challenge, I am new to the 5;2 and plan to do my first fast day tomorrow. eek

Day 2, Gozo, Malta, NFD

NFD for me but I’m trying to eat sensibly and below TDEE. I did go out for coffee with my daughter this morning and had a small cookie. Onwards and downwards.

Day 2 USA NFD
    Yesterday I noticed my clothes are fitting much looser. In fact I wore a shirt I had previously set aside because it felt tight.

US Day 2 FD. FD going well so far. Now yesterday was a different story. I guess I was just on a roll and everything I looked at went in my mouth…I don’t know why. I couldn’t even complete MFP because I didn’t want to know how many calories I had. Oh well.. I’ll leave that to yesterday and forge ahead today.

K-lo… I had never heard of Marie Kondo until you mentioned her in a previous challenge. Since then all my drawers and closets are MarieKondo’d and I’ve been finding it pretty east to keep up with. I never managed to get to the next point of going through the office and clearing out the piles and piles of paperwork. Maybe when I have some time off over Thanksgiving I can tackle that one. Have a good day all!

Hi all UK day 2 NFD

Good day – brought my breakie to work – homemade granola, berries and natural yogurt but had it for lunch so water and a couple of coffee have kept me going until dinner tonight. So many to respond to

@needachange – planning is the key

@well rounded – where abouts in the world are you. If you would include your country in your post ie if you are from NZ it would be Day 2 NZ and nfd or fd

@alanix and BiddieV – day of the challenge = day of the month not when you started, so everyone is on the same page.

@Iatchia – 8 months is nothing to carrying baby weight – some people have been carrying it for years but well done you for getting it sorted sooner rather than later. Keep in mind though that you have been growing and nurturing a baby so your body has been through a lot – treat it with kindness.

@mazzie10 – I guess TDEE is just an estimate and can be adjusted accordingly – if one figure suits go for it it can be adjusted later. I use the one on this site.

@right on this girl – I had never joined a forum before either as have a lot of ones so you are not alone and this is something you can stick with as it is a plan you can live with for the rest of time. I have also found we get it – this fasting 5:2 plan others I am afraid don’t, so I don’t go into details as I don’t want the negativity. I am doing something, something that works, something that can help not only with weight loss but may prevent illness and extend a healthy life span now just let me get on with it – thank you! I know others who don’t even tell people what they are doing.

Action – so glad to have you keeping an eye on me lol. Your post was very interesting and at the moment i am finding the song from Frozen ‘Let it go, let it go’ is relevant to me so I sing to my brain (quietly and only out of ear shot) to reinforce it is ok to reduce my weight (see I do listen). I read a book by Jon Gabriel, in his method he says your body will only let go of weight when it feels safe to do so. He uses visualisation which I totally endorse – everyone get visualising the new you. See it in technicolour and keep that picture in your mind. HOLLYJ are you still round the tree at Christmas in your picure? When I was having a difficult month in October I looked out his download and play it going to sleep, ha ha the past few nights I haven’t ever heard it to the end as I am fast asleep. Anyone having difficulty in getting to sleep – its free to download and worth a try.

So for this month I hope to reduce my weight by at least 5lbs I will ‘Let it go, Let it go’ lol – have a good night/morning where ever you are and be safe. x

Day 2 USA NFD
    Lots of liquids yesterday due to nursing a cold. Any suggestions for “feeding” on sick days? Still home sick today. I definitely appreciate all the input for us newbies on 5:2.
    Someone used the initials ADF – is that Alternate Day Fast?

Day 3 FD NZ
    Quickly put my oat/chia bowl in the fridge to soak with an apple and Greek yoghurt. Together with an egg and two egg whites that’s my FD dinner tonight after work.
    Will do a HIIT run on the treadmill at the gym at lunchtime to fill in my lunch hour seeing as it isn’t filled with eating today.
    I’ve found I like the treadmilll best for HIIT runs, as the last couple of rounds become really tough, I’m forced to maintain a sprint pace or risk being flung off the back in a cartoon tangle of flailing limbs and graceless landings.
    Have a great day all

Day one, I am one day behind. FD-500 calories for me!
    I saw a few commenters do a water fast for 24 hours, I give you credit, I could not, I need the calories so I can do my daily activities.

Question-Do you eat your TDEE on fast days? I want to loose weight, mine seems high for me to be able to loose weight. I have done WW before and I know I probably couldn’t have eaten more than 1200 a day. I saw a comment, someone only eats 900 Calories on NFD, that doesnt seem enough.
    Can you tel me do you aim for a calorie number? I am one of those that needs the number, anything goes is too scary and if I am doing 500 calories one day, don’t want to waste it.

Good luck to all!!
    Hope to loose 6lbs this month. I am in sunny Florida!

3 Nov, NFD, Melbourne Australia

Day 2 – UK – NFD

Originally planning to do to a FD today. So made a small protein pot for breakfast, no lunch. So doing well however came home and due to cross wires hubby had made dinner. But the main thiing I was well below my NFD calorie allowance.

Day 2|NFD|Buckinghamshire UK

First day back to work after some annual leave.
    Walked 1hr in total to and from work, wore my new nike trainer and no achy feet thank goodness!

LynzM. Hi just read you do hot water and lemon –
    Hot water kills off the vitamin C – should be room temp water with lemon. I do it every morning and have had a number of people tell me this

NFD went well today. I ate only about 1000 calories and didn’t feel deprived. I walked over 10000 steps and completed week 5 day 1 of c25k. I’m going to repeat it tomorrow as I found it quite a challenge. It was a beautiful frosty morning and it felt good to be out running albeit really chilly! I’m finding it really difficult to keep track of all the posts. Someone made me chuckle this morning and I made a note to myself to post a reply when I got back from work this evening…couldn’t find it or remember who it was so unable to do so!! I’m going to jot down user names and times of postings so I don’t make that mistake again! Good luck everyone and keep smiling.

Day 2 Non fast day
    Easy easy – stayed within TDEE
    Was hungry this morning hence not a fast day
    Am going to fast tomorrow
    Hope everyone is going well
    weigh in on Friday 😖

Hi there AnneMarilyn- sorry to hear you’ve come down with a cold. Yup- that’s alternate fast days, based on scientific research done by Dr Varady of University Illinois Chicago which has influenced Mosely’s 5:2 diet. Check it out on amazon and YouTube – I’ve decided to follow this approach…day 2 today! Same deal – 500 cals on fast days just every other day.

Do you like making soups? So nice for nursing colds and really comforting at this time of year. Just made one with butternut squash roasted with some olive oil, rosemary, sea salt and garlic – threw in the blender with hot stock, really creamy and no cream! If you’re not veggie and want a treat on NFD, nice with some sautéed pancetta/streaky bacon and a little grated Parmesan or pecorino Romano and as a garnish on top. Lovely colour to cheer you up! Very filling also!

D3, Australia, FD

Will water fast until dinner tonight so will be almost 24hr fast. Will be looking forward to my homemade veggie soup and popcorn tonight!

Hi Mflood. The aim of fasting is to get those insulin levels really low. Therefore I believe the fast is more important than the calories. A full 24 hr water fast is better than grazing all day even if you are only having 500 calories in total. A apple say of 150 calories will raise insulin levels and you could potentially have 3 apples and be inside the 500 calories fir the day but also, your insulin levels would be raised all day. See what Dr Jason Fung says about fasting. Good luck.

Pinkpoeny – you should aim to eat no more than 500 calls on FD.
    Good luck all

Day 2|NFD|Toronto

Day 2: Pacific NW USA, NFD

Successful end of a 45 hour liquid-only fast yesterday, and for dessert the Cubs winning game 6! Today was soft boiled eggs for breakfast, Bullet Proof Coffee (BPC) and we will have a steamed fresh salmon salad for dinner. On NFD’s my target is to stay at or below my goal weight TDEE rather than my current TDEE. I think for me maintaining my goal weight will be harder than reducing weight (I agree with new terminology, Action) so I might as well start getting familiar with the rest-of-my-life TDEE right now!

There are so many timely responses to questions already posted that I don’t need to be redundant but I did want to add to Coda – look what you started! 117 today!

Welcome pinkpeony, nrabbiosi, BVH630, latchia, YvonneB, sunnyfields, Right on this girl, and Carleywoods.

Dandelion, pinkpeony, CanadianinDublin and Clairbear – not meaning to be a forum tyrant but it would help me immensely if you would start your daily postings with “Day ___” and then write in whatever day of the month that you are writing. If you don’t add the day I will assume you are just responding to someone else and have already checked in. Also we all connect with where you are on the globe so we would love it if you could add your location too and whether it’s a FD or NFD for you.

Many of us have found over weeks and months of being a part of these continuing forums that the daily check-in has been a key ingredient supporting the consistency that’s necessary for IF to bring us the benefits we want. Off in our corners of the world it helps us not feel alone whether we are struggling and want to whine or smooth sailing and want to brag. Thanks for all of you participating in this experiment! I will be keeping an “attendance spreadsheet” as my previous role models did because, especially in the beginning, I know it helped me stick to my plan when I knew that Coda was watching over my shoulder!

Day 2 – Hertfordshire – FD
    I didn’t know about the NIN until today as I only joined the forum earlier.
    I did a FD on Monday and again today.
    I exercise a lot so am hoping the motivation of NIN will curb Overeating on NFD and prevent wasting all of the effort of getting to the end of FDs.
    I have a big birthday in 12 weeks and would really love to see the full effects of 3 mths of IF.
    Here’s hoping.

Day 2…. Florida….. FD

K-lo……. I’m not far from Homosassa about 20-25 min. Weather starting to cool, so making this area very pretty with the trees.

Pink peony….. Another Floridian Fantastic. Also, it was me who commented on eat 900 calories. I normally don’t do that but It was an experiment to see what my body was saying. Do I know the difference between hunger and thirst? How my body would handle being around extra Halloween candy on NFD. I did over ride my belly and ended the day with 1205 calories.
    On a normal NFD, you do want to eat based on your TDEE but you need to listen to your body as well.
    So, on Non fast days (NFD) your calories will be based on your TDEE. Go to how it works at the top of the page and you can calculate it. You can use your current weight or goal weight either is exceptable.
    On Fast days (FD), stay around 500 calories, do a minimum of 2 days during the week. A lot of people use Mon and Thur as their FD days.

For me on my NFD, I try to stay between 1200 and 1500 calories
    Hope this helps!

Hi all, ive fallen off the wagon tonight started off well fasting went and done lots of swimming then was so hungry came home to a bottle wine and burger. Im so gutted ive done it i was just so hungry and my husband was home late so he ordered takeout 😕. I think i should try and keep my 500 cals for tea time. I will try again tommorow. Im so ashamed.

Clairebear, don’t beat yourself up😀. Like you say,get back onto it tomorrow. It will get easier as you go along. Good luck and keep smiling.

Would it be ok just to have chicken and brown rice on a fast day?? i find this filling. Im so annoyed with myself.

Thanks diggly. Its like i got no will power. I really want to do this.

Hi Clairebear12

You are putting so much pressure on yourself to succeed or fail.

So you had a drink and burger – don’t feel ashamed. Maybe you just went to long before your dinner!

Don’t think of it as failing today, think of it as learning what didn’t work for you today.

Hopefully tomorrow you’ll find what works for you this Thursday that didn’t work on this Wednesday

Good luck

Clairebear12, stop knocking yourself up. You simply decided not to continue with your 5:2 on this particular day. Learn from your experience, adjust your approach and do a 5:2 on another day. Simples.
    The idea of this is to experiment until you find something that works for you, not for any one else, just you so that you can do the “Fast Day” easily, without stress, just naturally, just normally, just another day. Simples
    Good Luck.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 3,410 total)

You must be logged in to reply.